skillcrush-logo

Skillcrush

Skillcrush

Skillcrush is a woman-owned, independent, online coding & design school founded in 2012. Skillcrush offers both free and paid programs, including the self-paced Break Into Tech + Job Guarantee program, which prepares students for entry-level positions in front end development and design. Skillcrush is on a mission to empower career changers — with a special focus on women and BIPOC — with the technical skills they need to transition into higher-earning, more fulfilling and flexible careers in tech.

Students who enroll in the Break Into Tech program will have access to both the Front End Developer and Designer career tracks. The curriculum covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, Github, visual design fundamentals, and more. Once students complete the technical skill building portion of the Break Into Tech (about 16-20 weeks), they receive 180 days of hands-on job search support including 1-on-1 and group coaching, and the opportunity to interview with Skillcrush employer partners.

Skillcrush is an open enrollment school, so no application is necessary. Skillcrush has trained over 20,000 students, and has an over 90% success rate of placing students in qualified jobs with an average time to get hired of 8-10 weeks.

Skillcrush offers tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. Skillcrush encourages students to email hello@skillcrush.com to discuss payment options.

Recent Skillcrush Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (412) reviews for Skillcrush →

Recent Skillcrush News

Read all (10) articles about Skillcrush →
  • (1) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Front End Developer Track

Our Front End Developer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero coding knowledge to being a job ready front end developer with skills in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, and React with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499
    Refund / GuaranteeJob Guarantee: Full refund if you have not received a "qualified" job offer within 180 days of starting your job search. Satisfaction (No Regrets!) Guarantee: If you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase within 14 days, we will refund your money.
    ScholarshipWe offer tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. If any of these describe you, we encourage you to email hello@skillcrush.com to ask if you qualify.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for beginners with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • (2) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Designer Track

HTML, Design, CSS
    OnlinePart Time
    Our Designer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero design knowledge to being a job ready designer with skills in web and visual design fundamentals, branding and identity design, and HTML and CSS with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for career changes with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • Sabrina Danielle Green  User Photo
    Sabrina Danielle Green • Student/Unemployed, but hopefully not long • Student Verified via GitHub

Skillcrush is an excellent resource for aspiring web professionals. The online learning environment introduces the material in a manner that is very easy for someone without any prior knowledge to understand. The instructors then help you retain that information by having you consistently recall the skills learned throughout the course with fun and challenging exercises.

Skillcrush also helps you learn the professional lingo and "best practices" of a web professional which helps you feel like a competent insider in no time. I’m a very detailed oriented person; I like to know that I have all the pieces to complete the big picture.
    They provide you with everything you need to know without making you feel overwhelmed.

The quick reference documents provided with the lessons are an invaluable tool; I often refer to them while completing projects. The staff/instuctors are very encouraging, knowledgeable, and available to aid students whenever needed.

• Fun!!
    - 8/22/2017
    Nikki Davis  User Photo
    Nikki Davis • Web Designer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    This course was a birthday gift from my mom a couple of years ago. I absolutely loved it as it was both fun and challenging. With it, I was able to design my own website and revamp my clients' websites as well. This has led to partnering up with another designer on a couple of other sites! Currently, I am reviewing the class as it has been revamped. That's another reason to love Skilllcrush as there are constant updates to keep current with trends and technology. The only reason why I gave the Job Assistance a three star rating is because of the lack of it during the time that I took the course a couple of years ago.
  • Kelley Clark Martin  User Photo
    Kelley Clark Martin • Marketing Consultant • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I can't remember how I stumbled on Skillcrush, but I'm glad I did. It's super accessible and easy to follow. I just finished the first section of the All-Access plan, and I can already see a marked improvement in my design work. I made things up by the seat of my pants before, and now I have methodology and a plan and it's great. My work looks and feels 1000% more professional. I am extremely confident that the investment I've made will pay off via my career.

As I go into my second section, I'm already being matched up with a career counselor. I think this will put my work in context and help keep my eyes on the prize. Thanks, Skillcrush!

• Encouraged
    - 7/17/2017
    emily b.  User Photo
    emily b. • Mobility Manager Verified via LinkedIn

I am currently enrolled in the All-Access Career Blueprint. I have only been enrolled for a couple weeks, but thus far have really enjoyed how Skillcrush breaks down the lessons to make them fun and easy to follow. I have already used and learned so many new tools that I know I can use in the future even if I don't land my dream tech job. The instructors are fun and I consider them professional encouragers. I feel supported and I am so glad I was listening to the Disrupt Yourself podcast so that I can start my career change. Glad I found Skillcrush and would recommend this program specifically for women looking to enter the tech field.

• Zita Collins  User Photo
    Zita Collins • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    Skillcrush does just that...crushes tech skills! After checking out other online bootcamps, I decided to go with Skillcrush because of their great videos and valuable content regarding transitioning into a tech career, regardless of where you are or how old you are. The material in the courses are stellar and I am an avid online learner so I say from experience. While taking the classes, I've often smiled knowing someone who may have no clue about development, can easily follow the "to the point instruction." Everything you need to know is broken down step by step. This is by far one of the best investments anyone seriously wanting an awesome career, learnt at their pace without feeling intimidated can make. I would say to anyone still not sure which company to go with.....stop guessing and waiting time...sign up for Skillcrush! Job Assistance not rated as I'm still working on my blueprint, but among everyday I near that milestone :)
  • Happy Student!!!
    - 6/30/2017
    Terri Newsome  User Photo
    Terri Newsome • Teacher/Freelancer Verified via LinkedIn

I have just recently started my second Skillcrush blueprint. I didn't make it through my first one for many personal reasons but after making headway with this one I definitely will be following this one up with my first Blueprint. Everything seems to make sense to me now and the process feels so easy! I truly appreciate the monthly payment plans that Skillcrush offers because I have been STARING, HOPING, & PRAYING to be able to save up the coins I needed to participate but it just never worked out that way. The monthly payment plans made it possible for sure.

In terms of the course and its structure, it is definitely an enjoyable process. I really cannot complain for the most part. The format usually goes something like this: Video/Information, examples, notes/handouts/practice/practice/practice. You catch on really quick. The features that keep me motivated the most are being able to see how many steps are in that section that I'm learning and how far away I am from completing that section, the momentum of being able to click mark complete, the practices, and the quizzes are really motivational for me. I feel like I'm making small accomplishments or meeting small goals so that makes it fun and motivational. To add to that a possible suggestion to boost up the motivation, even more, is if after completing certain things if we received digital badges to collect. That would be neat! Skillcrush has definitely put alot of work and effort into making this a QUALITY program and you can tell. Hats off because I can tell that these courses are ALOT of work. So you are definitely getting your money's worth.

The areas of improvement are for me very minute. I love seeing Adda but it would be interesting to see the faces of the other instructors in the videos too and change up the background every so often. I personally really like color pop office decor on a white background that is girly/feminine and bold. But that's just my preferences. The group's, office hours, and events are not as streamline as I would like for me. I don't really understand how to get to the groups without having to go to the dashboard. Also I the office hours are a little intimidating for me because I have no idea what to discuss with my instructor. Skillcrush says that you can ask questions but I'm not always sure if I have questions or if I have something to talk about. For me, I would love to be able to see all of my classmates' projects and be able to interact with them more. I don't want that part to be a requirement or anything but I would love to see kind of communal space, like those shared artist spaces in major cities or Behance, where we could see each other's projects, and even chat with each other and possibly meet up. Great way to meet Business Besties. It's great to go alone but its even better together sometimes. This may also be covered in the Google group thing but I haven't navigated it all the way yet. So this may not even be a Skillcrush issue.

Not all of the time but sometimes I have to go to the video transcript to take notes because a concept that is mentioned in the video may not be mentioned in the notes part and I really want that info because I feel like it's important to me. It still works out because I can go to the transcript.

Overall, I LOVE Skillcrush and have followed them and been interested in being a student with since their beginnings when they first started offering classes. Skillcrush is doing a great job. And this may sound selfish but I kind of like that they are not as super well-known, because it gives it a small-class/community feel. Like your favorite "hole-in-the-wall" or cafe in a major city. Though I am aware that the small-community feel might not be a good idea for them fiscally. People/women SHOULD definitely join and participate. You would not regret it and your return on investment is unmeasurable. Skillcrush you beyond ROCK!

P.S. A great idea would be if Skillcrush held in person events all over the US or the major places where most of their students are (please come to D.C., where they held a little seminar about the business of web design, development, freelancing etc and have little in-person challenges session where alumni practice skills in person through challenges and projects, for example like the project where you create logos using just CSS. That would be dope! Kind of rubbing shoulders with your peers.

• Sarah C.  User Photo
    Sarah C. • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am very happy to have discovered Skillcrush a few weeks ago. Having graduated with a fairly impractical degree in a down economy, I've spent most of my adult life taking unfulfilling jobs with minimal room for advancement just to make ends meet, and have had to store away dreams of any sort of robust career.

Now, I'm not saying Skillcrush will magically and instantly fix my life for me. What I am saying is that its beautifully structured course outlines, supportive instructors and high-quality learning content make me confident that I've made a good decision in choosing the site to gain marketable skills to help leverage my chances of finding satisfying and rewarding work.

I could have chosen to go the autodidactic route and taught myself web development using free resources (and actually am, adjacent to this Wordpress course). However, culling through all of the resources the internet has to offer to find clearly explained material that's worth my time is an arduous task for someone with my schedule right now. Instead, I've opted to invest a comparably small amount of money into this course to motivate myself to follow through on this career choice, and am learning so much through easily digestible lessons in the meantime.

I could not recommend this course more highly. I was on the fence for quite awhile, wondering if it would be worth it. Having now started the Wordpress Developer Blueprint, I'm confident that I'll have the skills and knowledge of best practices to maximize my potential in the field. What made my mind up to take the plunge was Skillcrush's wealth of highly informative articles and tech-related resources that are available for free, for everyone. It's clear that the company is dedicated to its students' success, whether they're enrolled or simply prospective.

• Marko Vasiljevic  User Photo
    Marko Vasiljevic • Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

This really is a course where you can work couple of hours a day to upgrade your knowledge and fulfil tasks. I worked in Drupal before but I wish I took this course earlier; it would spare me endless hacked tutorials on internet and make my learning more effective.

Good thing is that you really have all the explanations you need in lessons. Tasks are solved.

The only real problem I had was installing XAMP on my PC, but that was partly because I had something else installed. I had to google it a long time...

• Stephanie Brown  User Photo
    Stephanie Brown • Front End Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The Skillcrush experience is an exceptional value. The interface is pleasant to use and the support is amazing. I find the learning environment to be both empowering and inspiring. From the CEO to each of the trainers and teaching assistants, everyone is so patient and encouraging to those of us learning to code and transitioning into the tech industry.

This was my second experience with Skillcrush.  I took the Web Developer Blueprint with them in 2014.  I am an older learner with adult children. I spent years running from technology by pursuing web development as a hobby rather than considering it a career because I felt my age and educational background excluded me from the industry.  I looked at A LOT of other bootcamps and immersion programs when I first started considering structured learning.  I've also taken countless online courses and tutorials because I find I learn best online. Skillcrush was the best fit for me.

My son is in college now studying Computer Game Design and Development. On more than one occasion he's asked me to be the fresh eye on something he's coding for one of his programming classes.  Even in a different language I've been able to help him.  I don't know I'd be confident enough to even attempt it were it not for what I've learned in my Blueprints.

The best part of Skillcrush for me is the that at any time I can go back to the courses I've taken and the projects I've completed as part of the course and revisit them as a refresher or to make improvements. Right now my immediate goal is to implement all the amazing advice and tools they make available in the career section to finally launch my freelance business.

• Brianna  User Photo
    Brianna • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I just finished the Skillcrush Freelance Wordpress Blueprint, and it's my second Skillcrush Blueprint! I also completed the Front-End Web Developer Blueprint a few months ago. Both experiences were fantastic.

I have never been a good self-teacher, as I constantly have questions and often need things explained to me a few times over. Unsurprisingly, I was nervous to take an online class, for fear it would make me feel frustrated and be a waste of my time. But with Skillcrush, I feel like I have a team of teachers guiding me, and a room of students supporting me.

The teachers (yes, plural) are super responsive over email, and the lessons guide you along the work slowly, and there is something for every type of learner. There are videos, step-by-step instructions, and plenty of outside resources. The number of things to do rarely feels overwhelming, as the lessons break it down so simply.

We have a Google group for everyone taking the class at the same time. Students post their work, share issues, and discuss the class overall. The teachers help students solve any issues with their work while guiding us in the proper way to ask tech questions, since many students have never done that before (it really is a valuable skill!). That's one of the most awesome things about the courses--it caters to those of us who are newer to the tech world and might feel completely lost in it. They explain the way that other more experienced developers tend to think about certain concepts (tabs vs spaces, ack!) and give you an introduction to the culture.

The courses were fun and challenging and super rewarding. Not to mention they are amazing resources to go back to once you launch your career in tech (which can seriously be right after finishing the course).

It's like Skillcrush pushes you to more than a head start--it pushes you to half way down the track.

• Rebecca  User Photo
    Rebecca • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I love how friendly and welcoming the course is. As a beginner and as a female I'm not daunted or over-whelmed by it being too technical or by feeling that others know more than I do. There is a good mix of videos, reading and practice examples that help to move you along quickly and keep you interested. However, it does go over some things a bit quickly so if you really want to learn the subject deeply you may need to do some of your own research and plenty of practicing. I have found the course to be a great introduction and it has motivated me to keep learning.