skillcrush-logo

Skillcrush

Skillcrush

Skillcrush is a woman-owned, independent, online coding & design school founded in 2012. Skillcrush offers both free and paid programs, including the self-paced Break Into Tech + Job Guarantee program, which prepares students for entry-level positions in front end development and design. Skillcrush is on a mission to empower career changers — with a special focus on women and BIPOC — with the technical skills they need to transition into higher-earning, more fulfilling and flexible careers in tech.

Students who enroll in the Break Into Tech program will have access to both the Front End Developer and Designer career tracks. The curriculum covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, Github, visual design fundamentals, and more. Once students complete the technical skill building portion of the Break Into Tech (about 16-20 weeks), they receive 180 days of hands-on job search support including 1-on-1 and group coaching, and the opportunity to interview with Skillcrush employer partners.

Skillcrush is an open enrollment school, so no application is necessary. Skillcrush has trained over 20,000 students, and has an over 90% success rate of placing students in qualified jobs with an average time to get hired of 8-10 weeks.

Skillcrush offers tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. Skillcrush encourages students to email hello@skillcrush.com to discuss payment options.

Recent Skillcrush Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (412) reviews for Skillcrush →

Recent Skillcrush News

Read all (10) articles about Skillcrush →
  • (1) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Front End Developer Track

Our Front End Developer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero coding knowledge to being a job ready front end developer with skills in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, and React with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499
    Refund / GuaranteeJob Guarantee: Full refund if you have not received a "qualified" job offer within 180 days of starting your job search. Satisfaction (No Regrets!) Guarantee: If you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase within 14 days, we will refund your money.
    ScholarshipWe offer tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. If any of these describe you, we encourage you to email hello@skillcrush.com to ask if you qualify.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for beginners with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • (2) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Designer Track

HTML, Design, CSS
    OnlinePart Time
    Our Designer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero design knowledge to being a job ready designer with skills in web and visual design fundamentals, branding and identity design, and HTML and CSS with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for career changes with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • Web Design class
    - 4/27/2016
    Reuben Edwards • Graduate

Solid course I forgot a lot and you covered things and explain some details that help me out a lot.

• David • Student

I am extremely pleased with having decided to take this blueprint. As someone who is (was) not terribly tech saavy, I wanted to have more of a toehold in the world of web development and could not be more pleased. Skillcrush does a great job of laying out the big picture before diving into the details. Everyone is extremely freindly, and more than eager to help out.

I am excited to take more blueprints now that I got my feet wet, and am excited to explore their other offerings!

• Love Skillcrush!
    - 4/27/2016
    Ann • Graduate

Skillcrush’s WordPress Blueprint gave me the professional skills I needed to launch my new career. I chose Skillcrush over other free online resources chiefly because it offered an organized curriculum with real support. I was pleasantly surprised with the fun way in which the lessons were presented, with lots of beautiful supportive material - so that even if the course covered a lot of ground, it never felt overwhelming (or painfully dry!!). I came to appreciate the professional development aspect of the course as I developed a clearer vision of what freelance work consists of. The blueprint left me with a toolkit full of code I could use in real-world projects, as well as new pieces for my portfolio!

I was really impressed with the support I received during the course. I also collaborated with many fellow students, some of whom became regular study-buddies and then lasting friends. I was able to build a network of contacts, and feel confident and empowered as a woman who codes. Thanks in part to some great carreer tools and advice, I was able to promptly secure contracts towards the end of the blueprint and have been working as a freelancer ever since.

When the opportunity presented itself, I started working as a T.A., and now I can carry on promoting the peer-to-peer empowering culture that Skillcrush fosters. I continue to learn and grow my skillset in providing some of the support I had so appreciated when taking the class. I recommend Skillcrush to anyone looking for a foundation to transition towards a new code related career.

• Denise • Student

Okay, so I am not completely done with my first Skillcrush Web Design Blueprint but I this is my last week and I have to say, I am absolutely impressed with how easy it was to learn everything in such a way that was far from boring, hard or expensive.

This course is not only cost efficient but in the last month of the blueprint, it begins to pay itself off with your first job.  Did I mention this first job you take is done as a part of the last course and all while you have your classmates and instructor walking you through it, in case you have questions, concerns or need the confidence of having someone available in case the need arises.

Additionally, I am so impressed with the courses that I am signing up for the next blueprint and plan on taking them all.  The classes are so fun, user friendly and easy to learn that I am seriously debating taking 2  blueprints simultaneously!  This is really not bad for someone that has ADHD and has had serious trouble completing projects.

I love the programs so much that I have recommended many friends and even asked them about a referral fee (they don't do this)!  This is a great opportunity for full time employees that need additional ways to make ends meet, just want extra cash or simply need to get out of their current daily grind.

I was in an accident last year and had to go on disability and decided to take the course while I sat at home but will use this as a method of paying back all the credit card debt I incurred while on disability but I am not worried because I already have my first client and have a few more lined up waiting for me to get to them.  Yes, a waiting list before I finished the first blueprint!!!

You can work from home anytime of the day, get a part time job, better paying full time job, freelance opportunities via one time jobs -- you would be surprised how much people pay hourly or for one time projects.

I recommend this opportunity to everyone but especially the following:

1. Single parents

2. Unemployed

3. Underpaid

4. High school students and graduates

5. Stay at home parents

6. Anyone living paycheck to paycheck

7. Anyone that has a lot of debt

• Andrew Daley • Creative Director • Graduate

I have done the Web Designer, Web Developer and Wordpress Blueprints and all have been great investments. Just a couple weeks after completing these blueprints I was able confidently land my dream remote job as a Creative Director for a startup in South America.

The lessons are very clear and easy to follow and understand. All the resources and webinars helped to boost my confidence and believe that I was able to make this career chance. I feel more prepared and confident in this career that I have been persuing for just over 6 months than in the I.T job I had been doing for over 12 years.

• Lee Carter
    - 4/26/2016

Skillcrush helped me gain confidence in starting my journey to web development. I took the Web Development WordPress Freelance course and my eyes became open to a whole other world. They helped me realize where I can go with this and using my current skillset. I plan on going back for everything I need to learn going forward. It is worth every dime and the online environment is on point and equivalent to today's high tech scene.

I love Skillcrush!

Lee

• An amazing start
    Anonymous • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate

I love Skillcrush. I have taken the Web Developer blueprint and Wordpress blueprint, and I am now working full-time as a full stack web developer at a startup! Adda does a great job making complex subjects simple and easy to understand (seriously!). I was a complete beginner with absolutely no background in programming when I took the web dev blueprint, so it was a great introduction that made me feel more confident about tackling this career.

Also, the resources Skillcrush provides for you (cheat sheets, access to the lessons forever, charts, diagrams, etc.) is awesome. I'm a visual learner, so I found them really helpful.

I did do additional schooling elsewhere to really enhance my knowledge, so I do recommend this class just for beginners - although it would be awesome if Skillcrush introduced higher-level classes for students curious about more advanced topics.

My only suggestions are to use a different chat application. I never really got into using Mightybell, but something like Slack would have been great. Also, since I was working full-time during the course, it was harder to keep up, so I never took advantage of instructor help. It would be cool if they did a half-way checkin with each student to help personalize the experience.

Programming is a huge skill to have, so get started with Skillcrush! I recommend these blueprints to all of my friends.

• Ann Marie Santos • Student
    I'm enjoying this class and learning a lot. I would, and already have, recommend this course to others learning to code. The only struggle in having is the instructor is using a Mac and I'm working on a PC. So, some of the codes that are being presented, won't work on my PC. Everything else is great and, again I'm really having fun with this class......especially considering I'm attending classes in my pajamas LOL. Please, keep up the great work and I do plan on taking more courses in the future.
  • Cassie • Student

I'm currently taking the Web Designer blueprint with Skillcrush, and can honestly say I am beyond pleased with the course. In particular, I am pleased with the fact that this blueprint allows you learn about design and also a little bit of development - enough to allow you to be able to build a website on your own, which is really great if you're like me, and you struggled to decide between design and development in the first place!

The instructors are also so friendly and helpful - whenever I've had a question, be it course-related, or slightly more general, they have alway got back to me so quickly even despite the different time zones!

The lessons are completely comprehensive and engaging, and when you find yourself wondering what something means, or how to code/design something, you tend to get your answer as soon as you progress to the next lesson. Also the daily emails are really helpful as they give you a brief idea of what you'll be learning for the day, and of course, remind you to keep on track.

I love this course so much that I am already signed up to begin the WordPress course as soon as this one finishes, and I plan to continue my learning with Skillcrush even after that, so I can become a freelance designer/developer - something which now feels entirely achievable with Skillcrush's help, and I've not even finished my first course yet!

• Very happy!
    Kristina Thornton • Student

I took the Web Designer Blueprint from Skillcrush and found myself whisked gracefully away into the world of tech without ever once feeling belittled or intimidated or stupid, which had been a fear of mine as someone new in the field at the age of 33.

Unfortunately, my day job required an unrelated urgent recertification course which has gotten in the way of actually taking some web design jobs on the side, but I can't wait to put my Skillcrush knowledge to (money-making) use.

This is certainly a boot camp I'd recommend especially to people with little to no background knowledge. The only issue I had was with the associated forum in Mightybell which I found hard to navigate and would have liked to have a very clear sitemap on every page with post headings. Otherwise the daily email system is extremely helpful and the lessons are broken down into perfectly bite-sized chunks. And I love the injected personality!

Thanks, Skillcrush!

I am taking the Web Development blueprint and I am a newbie at coding.  I am changing careers and chose Skillcrush to do this.  I like the curriculum, it is broken into pieces.  I like the videos and Adda is so encouraging.  I would suggest that it is broken into even smaller pieces.  Sometimes it seems that they take big leaps from one challenge to the next.  smaller projects building to a larger one would be nice. Sometimes I need baby steps.   I understand that I should research to try to understand but sometimes I am spending alot of time doing that and then I get behind.  I have skipped a couple of challenges just to stay pretty up to date and then go back later to work on them.  They explain things really well, because this is new to me sometimes a basic thing to them is lost on me.  I have learned alot and its amazing to back to some of the beginning classes and they seem easy now.  It is a great way to learn to code and I would recommend it to anyone!

• Web Design
    - 4/25/2016

I like Skillcrush a lot. It's very well organized and you learn a lot on a daily basis.

You receive an email every morning telling you what to learn, showing you videos and online docs to read and explore. At the end of each lesson there's some practice and a quizz to check every thing out.

You're part of a community and able to ask any question you may have. Teachers and mentors are very reactive, positive and know how to keep up with your motivation.

Some days I spend much more time than initially announced though + there's some reading on top of the lesson. but you want to learn as much as possible, right ? so you have to keep up with the rythm and read all those things and more if possible ( ok I'm 50 so maybe slower than other younger students... + I'm French and not totally fluent so i need to read some parts twice to be sure I really understand everything.)

I would appreciate more exercises, more practise.

I am globally very satisfied even if , for the time being ( 2nd month of the Web Deigner programe) I clearly have no idea if it will really be enough to start a new career.

I intend to go on with the next class anyway...