skillcrush-logo

Skillcrush

Skillcrush

Skillcrush is a woman-owned, independent, online coding & design school founded in 2012. Skillcrush offers both free and paid programs, including the self-paced Break Into Tech + Job Guarantee program, which prepares students for entry-level positions in front end development and design. Skillcrush is on a mission to empower career changers — with a special focus on women and BIPOC — with the technical skills they need to transition into higher-earning, more fulfilling and flexible careers in tech.

Students who enroll in the Break Into Tech program will have access to both the Front End Developer and Designer career tracks. The curriculum covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, Github, visual design fundamentals, and more. Once students complete the technical skill building portion of the Break Into Tech (about 16-20 weeks), they receive 180 days of hands-on job search support including 1-on-1 and group coaching, and the opportunity to interview with Skillcrush employer partners.

Skillcrush is an open enrollment school, so no application is necessary. Skillcrush has trained over 20,000 students, and has an over 90% success rate of placing students in qualified jobs with an average time to get hired of 8-10 weeks.

Skillcrush offers tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. Skillcrush encourages students to email hello@skillcrush.com to discuss payment options.

Recent Skillcrush Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (412) reviews for Skillcrush →

Recent Skillcrush News

Read all (10) articles about Skillcrush →
  • (1) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Front End Developer Track

Our Front End Developer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero coding knowledge to being a job ready front end developer with skills in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, and React with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499
    Refund / GuaranteeJob Guarantee: Full refund if you have not received a "qualified" job offer within 180 days of starting your job search. Satisfaction (No Regrets!) Guarantee: If you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase within 14 days, we will refund your money.
    ScholarshipWe offer tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. If any of these describe you, we encourage you to email hello@skillcrush.com to ask if you qualify.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for beginners with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • (2) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Designer Track

HTML, Design, CSS
    OnlinePart Time
    Our Designer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero design knowledge to being a job ready designer with skills in web and visual design fundamentals, branding and identity design, and HTML and CSS with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for career changes with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • Review
    - 10/1/2019
    Marlon  User Photo
    Marlon • Student Verified via GitHub

Skillcrush walked me through web development really well. Lessons really helped me to get the grasp of the topic at hand. Retention was always there as you get to do things from past lessons and kind of connect it to where you currently are. Every thing was structured perfectly that it wasn't confusing and they won't put you through something you haven't studied yet.

• Sebrina R  User Photo
    Sebrina R • Student Verified via GitHub

I have a degree in Web Development, but it is really old & I've been "out of the game" so to speak for a very long time. Last year my love for web development & coding was reignited, so I set out to start learning on my own with help from a free online code camp. I ended up getting overwhelmed & frustrated & ended up giving up on it. The timing wasn't exactly good in my personal life to be doing that, but nonetheless I ended up throwing in the towel. Fast forward to a few months ago, I started searching schools & options again & came across Skillcrush & a few other options. After some time & consideration I ended up taking the leap with Skillcrush. I couldn't be happier with my choice! Even though I have a degree I felt that the BIT blueprint was the best option for me to not only learn everything I want to, but also get the help I need for career counseling. There is an incredible support system with Skillcrush & the curriculum is very easy to follow & understand. If you have a hard time understanding things, there's great staff & fellow students to help you on your way. My only regret about this whole thing is not finding Skillcrush sooner & taking the BIT blueprint course sooner!! I highly recommend them no matter what you're seeking out. They have a great method of teaching, curriculum, staff & attitude too! There are certainly trying times but knowing there is a great support system in place really helps you to keep moving forward. Also not only are they very affordable for working adults, but it's so flexible it allows you to keep doing what you need to do in life without a complete interruption to go back to school. I'm close to finishing Phase 1 in my BIT course, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I highly recommend them if you are thinking about it!

• Jon Hocker  User Photo
    Jon Hocker • Student Verified via GitHub

I went back and forth for a few years trying to figure out if coding was for me or not. When I found Skillcrush, I immediately fell in love with everything... the ease of use, the explanations, the materials... it was like everything clicked and I knew this was the place that would help me change my career. As of this review, I'm about halfway through Phase 1 if the Break Into Tech Blueprint and I don't have enough good things to say about it - it's absolutely fantastic! The pace is GREAT. There are multiple ways to learn through videos, written examples, quizzes, projects, hands-on learning. IF you are on the fence about signing up, get off! It's time to sign up and change your career and life for the better!

• Jenny Line  User Photo
    Jenny Line • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I spent a long time agonising over how to get into coding and web development, after deciding I needed to retrain and take control over my career. I am not at the end of the course yet, but have already gained so much. The approach is really helpful, and the conversations and support I have had from the Skillcrush team has reassured me in many ways: That I can build a broad base and then specialise (so I don't waste my investment on something I later realise isn't quite what I wanted); that there is a community out there that is collaborative, supportive and responsive; and that I am part of a great movement to carve out space for diversity in tech!

The flexibility of the course (go at your own pace, all resources are available forever, Slack community for head-scratching moments and the option of more direct support) really works alongside a busy lifestyle. The way the course is structured also forces you to apply what you've learned and use your new skills. I'm confident this is the right starting point for a career reboot. Thank you Skillcrush!

• Perfect for me♥
    - 4/11/2019
    Leslie Kurchyk  User Photo
    Leslie Kurchyk • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I must say, it was hard to find the courage to break into tech if you have studied philology before, but Skillcrush did convince me that the main point here is - motivation, persistence, and belief in yourself. The course is well structured and perfect for those who don't have the whole day for study, for me - I have only 1 hour/ day max. and some free time on the weekend. It is very thoughtful and convenient that if I go for vacation e.g  I can postpone the payment for the time I'm not studying.

Best choice for me!

• Amanda Mac  User Photo
    Amanda Mac • Web Development and Design Student at Skillcrush • Student Verified via GitHub

I knew I wanted to "break into tech", so I was happy to find the "Break Into Tech Blueprint" at Skillcrush.com. I not only found the program to be very affordable compared to others that I looked at, but I also find that every class I take is fun! The videos are easy to watch and understand, and the assignments really help me build confidence in my new skills. I've been in class for just one month, and have already launched my own website.  I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking for a web development and design class that will keep you engaged, and build your knowledge of coding from the ground up.

• Works for me!
    - 12/5/2018
    Rebecca  User Photo
    Rebecca • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Though I do not recall receivint an e-mail each morning with goals for the day as is described here about the Skillcrush course, I still highly recommend it. I have tried other video courses that have been much more confusing and not as whole-picture goal achieving and supportive as this course is. With Skillcrush, it is expected that one goes at a MUCH quicker pace than I have, but I can finally say I know how to code a website using html and css with confidence and am finally starting real work building websites--a goal I have had for the last 7 years! I started my journey with an online community college course in html 7 years ago which I did not finish, then I was 2 courses short of a Certificate of Website Design in New York State from "brick-and-mortar" classes at Noble Desktop in Soho, but those courses were cookie cutter step one do this, step 2 do that and I got a general understanding of web design, but not proficiency and certainly not the confidence to code my own site! I've also started and not completed courses on Lynda.com and Udemy. Skillcrush is different because it is clear and it has a pattern of video, repeat in words what's on the video, then exercises and the occasional quiz that I find sticks with me to recall what I need to know to succeed.

• Shayla Duval  User Photo
    Shayla Duval • Freelance Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I don't think I got the full Skillcrush experience (there was some technical difficulty at the beginning and I never recieved class emails, etc.), so I can only speak about the course material itself... which is fantastic. If you're a self-directed learner and you're motivated, these courses are perfect for learning at your own pace.

I was solid enough with HTML/CSS (and had a basic understanding of WordPress) that I jumped the gun and took on a paid WordPress design job right at the start of the first course. I ended up blitzing through the beginner and advanced WordPress course in two weeks and it gave me all the info I needed to get the job done well. Also, adding in the Git/GitHub course was one of those things I never even knew I needed, but it's come in really handy.

Since finishing the course (which I don't know if I even technically marked as completed on Skillcrush), I've learned so much more on my own, but the Skillcrush courses gave me a really solid starting point and a resource I could come back to again and again.

My only "complaint" is the way Skillcrush packages its courses together, rather than letting them simply flow as options from one to the next for continued learning. For example, if after completing this course package I had had the option to enroll in another single course like using Sass/Gulp/Bootstrap or "everything you need to know about hosting servers" (DNS records, HTTPS<HTTP, .htaccess files, etc.), I couldn't have given them my money fast enough.

I haven't tried the job coaching part of Skillcrush or working with the instructors/community, which is a bit of a bummer since I know that's part of the deal, but hopefully I'll come back to it at some point. To be honest, I've been pretty busy taking on work. :)

My website hasn't been updated since before I took the courses, but hopefully by the end of 2018 I'll have time to put up my portfolio and a new layout at www.shayladuval.ca

• Loving it!
    - 9/24/2018
    Tavette Darville  User Photo
    Tavette Darville • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I just finished my first class, Skillcrush 101 and I am already know the basics to create a multiple page website!

• Kandis  User Photo
    Kandis • Student Verified via GitHub

I considered signing up for Skillcrush for a couple months before finally doing it. I tried using a Udemy front-end dev class, did a free JavaScript class through flatironschool, and created a WordPress blog. The Udemy course was the closest I came to feeling like I was actually preparing for the real world, but the level of instruction and the community just wasn't enough for me.

I signed up for the Skillcrush Break-Into-Tech blueprint a couple weeks ago and I couldn't be more pleased with my choice. I'm on my final project for the first class of the "foundation" section (HTML/CSS), and I've already created a couple projects to add to my portfolio (see https://www.kandisflick.com and https://codepen.io/kj0y/pen/YOJdJy). I'm learning so much more efficiently than I was on my own.

Last, but not least, the community is amazing. I've posted both of my projects on the community's Slack channel and have gotten only respectful feedback. Trolls aren't allowed in this community. It's also largely female, which probably helps with that!

• Changing Careers
    - 9/10/2018
    Carla Mendes  User Photo
    Carla Mendes • Financial Controller • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I've been taking the "Break Into Tech Blueprint" for almost two months. So far I've been thrilled.

Skillcrush helps out totally newbies and people like me, lets them know that it's ok to not be ok in our current jobs, and it IS possible to change this.

I have loved every single video, every single "check" on my list and I am looking forward to see what's coming next. I feel like everyday I'm learning more and more things and the progress has been undeniable, not only seen by me but also people I talk to about it, some of them professionals already in the area.

I ahve no idea where this "Break into Tech" is going to lead me, but I'm really glad I took the ride!

• Teni C.  User Photo
    Teni C. • Student Verified via GitHub

I say ‘timely’ because I happened upon Skillcrush completely by chance, during a rough time in my career, and I almost wish I had found it sooner.

Despite my lingering self-doubt in my ability to learn coding and development skills, I was convinced that they were worthwhile skills to learn, and the pitch for the Break Into Tech Blueprint was too enticing to pass up. I’m happy to say that Skillcrush has helped start to quench that self-doubt, and that ~5 months after beginning my blueprint I can officially add “Front-end Development,” “WordPress Development,” and “Visual Design” to my skillset.

The lessons were easy to digest, and the right balance of videos, text, challenges, tutorials, resources, and quizzes – all of which helped with practicing and retaining the materials. I got the right support from my instructors when needed, where they not only helped me work thru any challenges with my code, but highlighted how to approach the same problems in the future. I also appreciated how my instructors and classmates provided design feedback in a way that challenged my choices and perspectives, but without feeling rigged, prescriptive, or overbearing.

Right now, my next step is using the skills I’ve learned from Phase 1 and 3 to begin freelancing and searching for other fulfilling jobs as I work thru Phase 3. But I feel more optimistic about my future now than I was earlier this year, and more confident that I’ll find what I’m looking for, so I have the Skillcrush team and community to fully thank for that.

(Also -- for anyone who is unsure about taking the course, try the free Bootcamp course first like I did; it’s a glimpse of what the lessons actually look and feel like, and it was what ultimately convinced me to enroll into the full blueprint).