skillcrush-logo

Skillcrush

Skillcrush

Skillcrush is an online bootcamp that offers 12-week web design and web development courses called Skillcrush Blueprints. Wanting to teach students digital skills to kickstart their career, Skillcrush provides their "Blueprint," which is a step-by-step guide preparing students for the career they desire. Students engage in learning concrete technical skills while also creating a portfolio of real projects. These 3-month blueprints are online, but offer blocks of office hours, and access to classmates, instructors, and career coaches to create a structured learning environment.

Expect an email each morning with goals for the day, and students can choose times that work best to interact with mentors and other students. Classes do not require any programming experience, but students should be comfortable with computers and the web. Graduates can expect to cover UX Design, HTML/CSS, JavaScript, HTML/CSS, Wordpress, and Ruby.

Recent Skillcrush Reviews: Rating 4.79

all (388) reviews for Skillcrush →

Recent Skillcrush News

Read all (10) articles about Skillcrush →
  • Break Into Tech Blueprint

Did you look through our Blueprints and think “I want to learn it ALL”? The Break Into Tech Blueprint gives you exactly that. This course covers ALL of the lessons from our signature Blueprints and you’ll work with a career counselor to design a custom learning program to prepare you for an amazing and rewarding career. This one-of-a-kind digital skill training program will teach you all the core skills every aspiring technologist needs to know and make sure you’re set up for success in the flexible, creative, and lucrative career of your dreams.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $159 or one payment of $1599
    Refund / GuaranteeWe’re so confident that you will love this program that if you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase within 30 days, we will refund your money.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis blueprint is perfect for beginners with zero design or coding experience.
  • Digital Marketer Blueprint

Digital marketers spend their days understanding the needs of their target audience, translating business goals into creative online marketing campaigns, and staying on top of digital media trends. You'll learn Search Engine Optimization (SEO), social media, content, email marketing, paid ads, data analytics and reporting, and much more.
    Tuition PlansMake 3 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $549
    Minimum Skill LevelThis blueprint is perfect for beginners with zero coding experience. You just need to have a basic understanding of computers and be able to upload and download files.
  • Front End Developer Blueprint

Are you ready to tap into one of the fastest growing, highest paying, and most in-demand careers in tech? Are you tired of making less than everyone else at your company when you know you’re just as smart? Get the most lucrative and versatile digital skills out there in the Front End Developer Blueprint. You’ll learn how to build gorgeous, interactive websites that work perfectly on every device and mobile phone you can think of. With an explosive job market, killer salary, and tons of growth opportunities, front end development is one of the hottest jobs in tech!
    Tuition Plans3 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $549
  • Front End Developer + ReactJS Blueprint

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, React.js
    OnlinePart Time
    Front end developers use HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (including libraries like React) to transform static website designs into rich, interactive, multimedia web experiences. ALL front end developers work in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, but they don’t all know React JS. And since React JS is quickly becoming one of the most in-demand front end development skills, knowing it will give you an important leg up in your job search!
    Tuition PlansMake 4 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $699
  • User Experience Design Blueprint

Design
    OnlinePart Time
    User experience designers are innovative explorers who research, improve, and test websites and apps. They create delightful digital experiences that keep people coming back for more. If you love figuring out how things work and what makes people tick, look no further than User Experience design—it’s the tech industry’s best-kept secret for career changers. You'll learn the exact tools and best practices that designers use to discover and then describe what their customers want, how to create a professional website prototype: a wireframe, user testing and iterating on your design, and more! By the end of this Blueprint, you’ll have completed a start-to-finish user experience design project
  • Visual Designer Blueprint

Visual designers are the graphic designers of the digital world we live in, and they play a crucial role in designing the online experiences we interact with every day. If you’re an imaginative, creative, visual person and love sketching, drawing, pairing colors, illustrating, and calligraphy (or you just have a history with coloring books and macaroni necklaces), you’re going to love working in visual design. This course will prepare you for a career designing sites, apps, or ANYTHING you see online—and give you the tools to communicate with the development teams who will bring your designs to life.
    Tuition PlansMake 3 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $549
    Minimum Skill LevelComfort with HTML & CSS is required for this course.
  • Web Designer Blueprint

CSS, Design, Git, HTML
    OnlinePart Time
    Web designers are innovative chameleons who also code the websites they design! As digital artisans who use multiple skills to bring their creations to life, they understand what’s needed to make a website functional, appealing, and easy to use. The good news is that web design is easy to learn and great for beginners. In this online course you will learn all of the skills you need to become a web designer.
  • Web Developer Blueprint

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Ruby
    OnlinePart Time
    Web developers solve problems every day by coding websites and web applications. Web developers are responsible for creating the web apps you use every day, from Gmail to Instagram! If you’re a builder AND love to solve problems with creative solutions, web development is right up your alley. Now you just need to learn the basic building blocks of the web and programming fundamentals! By the end of this Blueprint, you will have learned everything you need to create a hand-coded website and web application including HTML & CSS, JavaScript & jQuery, version control, programming fundamentals, and web application.
  • Wordpress Developer Blueprint

Git, Mobile, PHP, Wordpress
    OnlinePart Time
    WordPress developers have the most versatile skill set in the world: Approximately 60 million websites run on WordPress! This course will teach you the tools to build beautiful, functional, and totally unique websites—and start making serious money.
    Tuition PlansMake 3 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $549
    Minimum Skill LevelA solid understanding of HTML & CSS is required for this course.
  • Web Design
    - 4/26/2016

I like Skillcrush a lot. It's very well organized and you learn a lot on a daily basis.

You receive an email every morning telling you what to learn, showing you videos and online docs to read and explore. At the end of each lesson there's some practice and a quizz to check every thing out.

You're part of a community and able to ask any question you may have. Teachers and mentors are very reactive, positive and know how to keep up with your motivation.

Some days I spend much more time than initially announced though + there's some reading on top of the lesson. but you want to learn as much as possible, right ? so you have to keep up with the rythm and read all those things and more if possible ( ok I'm 50 so maybe slower than other younger students... + I'm French and not totally fluent so i need to read some parts twice to be sure I really understand everything.)

I would appreciate more exercises, more practise.

I am globally very satisfied even if , for the time being ( 2nd month of the Web Deigner programe) I clearly have no idea if it will really be enough to start a new career.

I intend to go on with the next class anyway...

• Heather • Technical Team Lead • Graduate

I had worked in a tech environment when I was in graduate school, but I felt like I was floundering and didn't have the skills I needed to persue a career in tech.

Skillcrush helped me dust off my rusty skills and build the framework for new ones. I enjoyed the coursework and the challenges therein. Sometimes I felt that the directions for the exercises were incomplete. A new version of 101 has been posted that cleared up these issues.

Overall, I really enjoyed the courses and feel like I got a lot out of the courses. They definitely helped me learn new skills and improve my confidence as a technical professional.

• Liz • Graduate
    The instructors are amazing and the community is very supportive. I learned so much during the blueprint and am looking forward to pursuing a career in web development.
  • Sandy H. • Student

I happen to LOVE Skillcrush!! I have taken a couple different Blueprints and have found them enjoyable, well-rounded and pretty thorough. They are probably not going to teach you every possible facet of each subject, but they do try to touch on some of the major aspect of that particular course...whether it is Web Development or Ruby on Rails or whatever. I think they do a good job of incorporating the various 'tools of the trade', whether that is GitHub or Photoshop etc. My computer skills all come from being self-taught...so for me, the fact that they try to lead you to ask the right questions and how to search for solutions rather than spoon feeding you the answer is good. Of course, sometimes, learning is hard and frustrating...but knowing how and where to look for help I think is a great skill on its own! And in my experience, communication with Skillcrush has been great. There is a Skillcrush community as well, which is nice...granted, that community only works when others use it, which I do not believe is the fault of Skillcrush. I am sure there is room for improvements....and from my experience, I do think Skillcrush is continuing to find ways to improve...so I can only assume they will get even better with time.

If you want tech skills, you can't beat Skillcrush. They offer several different options, from single classes to sequential courses (called "Blueprints"), so you can decide the best choice for your career goals.

The lessons are clear, easy to follow, and fun. Adda is perfect for the video lessons. She really explains the concepts well. She also has a fun personality. The instructors and assistants are wonderful at answering questions. They look at your code, so they can guide you if it's off.

What I love most about Skillcrush is the people. Everyone I've talked with has been incredibly supportive. I got behind in my Blueprint, but it wasn't a big deal. They answered my questions and were very encouraging. I recently finished my first Blueprint and I'm on to another.

Whether you're looking to get basic tech skills for your current job or, like me, change careers, I can't recommend Skillcrush enough. I do suggest getting some of the books that they recommend, specifically the Jon Duckett for the Javascript & jQuery class. I needed both the lessons and the book.

• Sarah Eggers • Marketing Specialist, Web Designer • Student

I enrolled in the Skillcrush Web Design Blueprint back in November of 2014, and it opened up a world of possibility to me. The learning modules gave us hands-on experience in learnable chunks of content, and the instructor and classroom help was top notch!  And before I knew it, I was coding up static and mobile sites! (Read my blog post review of it!)

I loved my Skillcrush experience so much I became a repeat customer. Later in 2015, I took the Freelance WP Developer Blueprint.  During that class, I built my first WP site and decided to make my client services public. Since then I've had small and larger clients and have a great side hustle going alongside a day job I love.

Prior to signing up for Skillcrush's Web Development Blueprint, I'd taken a few courses on Codecademy and Code School, along with knowing basic coding needed for customizing Tumblr/Myspace/ Livejournal back in the day. I already had a pretty good hang of HTML/CSS and breezed through a month's worth of lessons in a week or two. When it came time to actually learn something new, I found Skillcrush's videos and lessons lacking in information, definitely not enough to make me a skilled web coder. While I appreciated the TA's and other women in the community, asking the TA a question only to be presented with a bunch of Google links without any proper answer just made me angry. Thanks, but I don't need to pay $400 to Google coding questions, I'm paying these people at Skillcrush (whom are supposed to be knowledgeable of the topics) to help me!

As others have said, the Mighty Bell platform they use for communications is horribly organized and hard to follow. Often times recent postings or important postings would be lost on the page. I was so happy to be done with it.

Needless to say, I ended up getting a refund. You're better off using free resources.

• Anonymous • Digital Marketing Specialist

Just do CodeAcademy. It's free and you can now get support for $20 a month.

This course started out okay for me but if you need techinical help, like with your account it takes DAYS for anyone to back to you. The actual interface that they use for you to do challenges in all parts of the course are messy and confusing.

The lessons themselves aren't explained very well, especially the Javascript portion. I got through the css and html okay but I pretty much had to drop out when it got to the Javascript (which I am now learning using other programs and books).

They also spent way too much time on fluffy stuff like how to use photoshop which, sorry but that's not what I signed up for. They spend a whole week on design and typography, which I do think is important but not as important as learning CODING which is what the course is supposed to be for. They even go over color theory before they freaking teach you how to code!

I mean sure, teach design, but at least wait until your students can actually make a website first! This is also super irritating for me because I actually have a bachelors in fine art and have taken typography, color theory and design classes already. Such a waste of my time and $!

It reminds me of a photoshop professor I had who would always say, " I am just here to teach you how this program works, I cannot give you creative talent, I cannot make you an artist".

They needed to focus more time on the coding. They should teach design separately. It's true that everyone can learn to code but not everyone is going to be good at design! They make you think that anyone can be a great designer after taking a three month course.

Can you learn to code in three months? Yeah. Does that automatically mean you will be a talented web DESIGNER? Hell No! Sorry, I worked really hard to put myself through a fine art school so that really gets my goat.

They push a lot of their favorite products, without mentioning that you don't have to actually use those products.

It was too easy for the first couple of weeks and then when I got to the Javascript part it was overly confusing. And I can't stress enough how messy the interface is.

Also, I signed up for the mobile web design course by accident and made it a few weeks into the course before realizing I needed to know HTML and CSS first. They did switch me but it did take at least a week for anyone to respond to my questions.

I learned how to use GIT during that time which is cool and was easy enough to understand. But during that course they definitely favor Mac over PC. And that sucks because when you are using Command-line interface to program,Mac and Pc don't work in the same way. All of the examples and videos show someone working on a Mac and they don't show examples of what it looks like on PC. For some of the excercises they mention how the two differ, but most of the time they are just like " this is different when you do it on a PC, sorry!".

I now realize that there are so many FREE options that are much more intuitive and easy to understand than Skill Crush for learning html, css, javascript and any other programming languages that you don't really need to spend $350 on a Skill Crush course.

All of the paid programs that they suggest that you use have a million other alternatives.

I like the community part of it where you can interact with other users but that's pretty much it.

I signed up for the Ruby on Rails blueprint eager to learn. Adda has a great personality and I enjoy her short videos.

However, my overall experience has been frustrating. It can take more than 48 hours to receive a response to a question (if at all). Daily lessons are emailed and students are encouraged to communicate  and post their work in Mightybell. For the past several classes I am the only student posting to Mightybell.  There is rarely any feedback and I've spent most of my time supplementing with outside videos and tutorials.

After a couple days of not being able to proceed, I sent an email requesting a refund unless someone could respond to my questions. In this case I received a friendly response from a TA.

If you get stuck in a class and are not able to proceed you can expect to remain stuck unless you ask for a refund.

Skillcrush has the potential to be great but unfortunatley they fall short on offering basic support.

It is pretty much a $400 roadmap to follow on your own.

• Camie • Graduate

This online course consists of videos, reading materials, beautiful hand-outs and cheat sheets, and hands-on coding, and research links. The course (aka Blueprint) is divided into three sections. The course begins wiith learning the Ruby language using the terminal. The next month brings Ruby to the web, using Sinatra, Active Record, and Postgresql db. Test-driven development is introduced, along with more Ruby gems. The apps are deployed to Heroku. In the final month students use Rails to build a test-driven, complex web app. More gems are use and organized into dev and test. Quizzes are given after each module to help solidify your knowledge. Adda's positive, querky personality make learning fun. Her encouragement gets you through the times when you feel overwhelmed or frustrated.

In addition to the above, there is an instructor with office hours each week where you can ask questions, get help, and share your code using Google Hangouts. Those are very helpful. The instructor also responds to email, but sometimes real-time dialog is what you need to explain a problem. There is also an online forum, MightyBell, where students post accomplishments or questions. This is helpful when other students are participating.