skillcrush-logo

Skillcrush

Skillcrush

Skillcrush is a woman-owned, independent, online coding & design school founded in 2012. Skillcrush offers both free and paid programs, including the self-paced Break Into Tech + Job Guarantee program, which prepares students for entry-level positions in front end development and design. Skillcrush is on a mission to empower career changers — with a special focus on women and BIPOC — with the technical skills they need to transition into higher-earning, more fulfilling and flexible careers in tech.

Students who enroll in the Break Into Tech program will have access to both the Front End Developer and Designer career tracks. The curriculum covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, Github, visual design fundamentals, and more. Once students complete the technical skill building portion of the Break Into Tech (about 16-20 weeks), they receive 180 days of hands-on job search support including 1-on-1 and group coaching, and the opportunity to interview with Skillcrush employer partners.

Skillcrush is an open enrollment school, so no application is necessary. Skillcrush has trained over 20,000 students, and has an over 90% success rate of placing students in qualified jobs with an average time to get hired of 8-10 weeks.

Skillcrush offers tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. Skillcrush encourages students to email hello@skillcrush.com to discuss payment options.

Recent Skillcrush Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (412) reviews for Skillcrush →

Recent Skillcrush News

Read all (10) articles about Skillcrush →
  • (1) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Front End Developer Track

Our Front End Developer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero coding knowledge to being a job ready front end developer with skills in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, and React with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499
    Refund / GuaranteeJob Guarantee: Full refund if you have not received a "qualified" job offer within 180 days of starting your job search. Satisfaction (No Regrets!) Guarantee: If you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase within 14 days, we will refund your money.
    ScholarshipWe offer tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. If any of these describe you, we encourage you to email hello@skillcrush.com to ask if you qualify.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for beginners with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • (2) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Designer Track

HTML, Design, CSS
    OnlinePart Time
    Our Designer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero design knowledge to being a job ready designer with skills in web and visual design fundamentals, branding and identity design, and HTML and CSS with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for career changes with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • A true class act
    - 8/25/2016
    Michele • Student

When I started in the hospitality industry 15 years ago, I thought I found my calling. The high energy, dynamic, fast-paced job was perfect for the 20 year old me. Each day was different, and I had the opportunity to be part of people's lives that put a smile on their face. I started working at a prestigious hotel and years later found myself working for Events. The rush of experiencing an event from the conceptual phase to completion is next to none. I have been fortunate to have been part of teams who have delivered small events such as meetings and conferences to enormous concerts and festivals bringing hundreds of thousands of attendees.

In 2012, my life changed. I met the love of my life and just over a year later we welcomed our son. My priorities instantly changed. The commute to work and the long (grueling) hours spent away from my family started to take a significant toll on all of us. I have spent the last 3 years struggling with the possibility that the industry may no longer be the right fit for me. There is an unsaid rule in the event / hospitality industry for those of us on salary; don't count your hours. Ever. I ignored that rule and figured out that I had spent over 80 hours working in just one week.

The hours and the stress started to affect my health and general wellbeing. I decided that I needed a change. I started scouring the internet for alternatives and discovered there was an industry which thrived on remote employees. This seemed like a no-brainer. I needed to figure out how to get 'in'. I found Skillcrush (insert lightbulb and 'ta-da' music here)!

While completing the free boot camp class I noticed the hop in my step had returned. I never imagined that I could be interested in 'tech', let alone be excited by it. I read through the blueprint descriptions and signed up for Front End Development. As a problem solver and one who lives to make things 'fit', this seemed like the right blueprint for me. Did I mention that I have absolutely no tech experience? Well, it's true.

This is the first online course I have taken and did not know what to expect. We are now into the second week of the blueprint and I am beyond impressed with the caliber of the course. The material progresses at a great pace. The course is built to engage each learning style. Each section includes: a video, examples, step-by-step instructions, an exercise, and a really handy quick-reference guide. The interactive google group dedicated to each cohort is a great way to interact with fellow classmates and expand one’s perspective. The group is monitored by a Skillcrush team member who steps in when needed, and ensures responses are correct.

Last week we received a timely e-mail which I felt was written specifically for me. It outlined tips and tricks for staying on track with the blueprint and how to practically fit the course into your existing schedule. With a fiancé who works shifts, a very busy 3 year old, and a hyperactive collie, this could not have come at a better time.  This is just one example of many which make me feel like the Skillcrush team is cheering me on.

I am looking forward to completing this blueprint and will likely sign up for another. I recommend Skillcrush whole heartedly and can’t wait to see how my new career path unfolds.

• Imre • Student

After 3 weeks of studying at Skillcrush as a web development and a front end development student I have to say that the courses are as flexible as were promised to be (perfect for those who work fulltime), well structured, easy to follow, engaging and they've got plenty of useful resources. Not to mention that the staff is friendly & reacts promptly to inquiries.

• Great Resource
    - 8/24/2016
    Shayla • Student

The team at Skillcrush wants to see you succeed. The curriculum is easy to follow, with many resources for learning provided to you. Skillcrush makes learning about tech interesting, straighfoward and accessible.

• Liz • Graduate

I think these classes are great for anyone who wants to learn anything tech related. I am able to understand what is being said and then apply it to the practice each day. The quizes at the end really help me remember what I need to know. They also give you some great tricks and cheat sheets!

• Sally Woodcock • Student

I have been so impressed with the entire Skillcrush experience, from the moment I signed up for the first free emails right through to the excellent tuition I am now receiving on the Front End Developer Blueprint, I have felt hugely motivated and supported by the Skillcrush team. The accessibility and quality of the lessons makes learning a joy - the course is structured very thoughtfully, so that each new challenge feels perfectly pitched to give you a sense of real progress without overwhelming you. I feel like I have a team of cheerleaders on my side, willing me to succeed and boosting my confidence, which is so important to me as an anxious coding newbie!

Having previously tried to learn to code using free online resources, I cannot stress enough what a difference it has made to have Skillcrush's help in navigating through the vast swathes of information and jargon that can be so intimidating and confusing if you don't have a trustworthy guide - I really think that it's worth paying the very reasonable Skillcrush tuition fees to have access such inspiring and well-paced courses.

I really appreciate the way that the lessons can be completed on a flexible schedule and I have had no trouble keeping pace. Aside from giving you access to Skillcrush's own resources (including downloadable cheatsheets and guides), I love the way the course integrates and references other resources that are available online - the expertly curated list of links and suggested reading is really helpful and reinforces the sense that you're joining a wider coding community all working together for a better tech future for everybody!

As an international student (I'm in the UK), the only downside is that some of the job-seeking resources are focused towards those looking for work in the USA, but that is a minor quibble and Skillcrush has given me the confidence to reach out to find local networking opportunities.

For anybody considering learning to code, I cannot recommend Skillcrush highly enough.

• Kismet • Director of Admissions • Student

This is a great course for a busy single parent like me! I took a few web development classes at a nearby community college after my divorce, but didn't feel confident afterwards to practice what I had learned. In just two weeks, this HTML & CSS course has elucidated several concepts that have been deterring me from exploring this field further. I signed up for the class on a whim, or perhaps a gut instinct, and I'm so happy I did.

The lessons don't take much time and they are easy to follow. They're also full of online resources that I have been bookmarking like mad. I am already envisioning some made-from-scratch sites I can build where I can practice these skills. My interest in web development and programming in general was quite strong when I was trying to decide what to do professionally after my divorce, but I was so underconfident and worried about making mistakes that I couldn't get anywhere. Now I feel like I have the confidence to move forward and see what I can do with my skills, and see what else I can learn. I also feel more confident about trying out web development professionally, once I have some kind of portfolio under my belt.

Overall, the course is well thought-out and comprehensive, organized and completely do-able. I've seen a lot of training videos on Treehouse and Lynda that are dry as toast and just a tad standoffish, so I also appreciate the occasional humorous asides built into Skillcrush's lessons.

Well done, Skillcrush!

• Angela

I am currently enrolled and participating in the FED blueprint and I will be enrolling in the Wordpress Developer Blueprint once I'm done. But I am so glad and fortunate that I took the chance to enroll in a Skillcrush program. I initially tried to "teach myself" code, but I lacked focus and a clear cut structured path. Skillcrush gives me just what I needed along with an amazing group of others seemingly from all over the world. I enjoy the lessons. They are somewhat fast-paced, but still allows you to work at your own pace. I just like to keep up. There are quizzes at the end of each lesson plan to test your knowledge, plenty of examples on the assignments and it pretty much walks you step-by-step. During my week break I will go back over the lessons to make sure I'm feeling really comfortable with what I've learned so far. I can definitely say that Skillcrush has given me a brighter outlook on my future in technology and I couldn't be more pleased.

If you're contemplating on a structured path to get your feet wet and get moving to obtain a finished product with thorough guidance, then look no further and did I mention it's a a really good price!

I'm pleased and I hope you will be too.

Angela

• Daphnie Donnell • Remote Senior Quality Specialist • Student

I am currently taking the WordPress blueprint. I completed the web developer blueprint previously. There is so much help and support with Skillcrush. I had a little CSS and HTML experience before the blueprint but the course made me truly understand each subject. The course provides cheat sheets and references. There is a Google group that allows students to ask questions about each lesson. After completing WordPress I will try the visual design blueprint. The courses allows students to learn about the various areas of specialty in technology.

• Dannie • Student

I am currently taking the Front-End Developer Blueprint as part of the WordPress Blueprint package. I am building on my previous knowledge of HTML and CSS. I don't have much experience coding, but each lesson is clear and easy to understand.

• Jamie • Student

I am in the second month of the web design blueprint and loving it! The apprentice style program allows you to learn a specific skill while you feel like you're on the job. All styles of learning are covered from visual to hands on and the videos are so helpful and hilarious. I have really enjoyed Adda's personality coming through in all the lessons and is why I decided to include approachable in the title. It's like learning from a friend :) The daily work load is just enough to keep me wanting more, (and I usually work ahead of class because I'm just that excited!) while being light enough to manage with other full time responbilities.

So far I have learned HTML and most CSS. The course concludes with the task of creating your first website which also happens to be your portfolio. While I'm not sure I'll have enough content in it to get hired somewhere, I feel confident I will have the building blocks to expand that portfolio into something I'm proud of. I appreciate stepping into the tech world at the age of 30 and not being overwhelmed, but enthused.

I would definitely recommend the blueprints to anyone and am excited to continue my journey with skillcrush!

• Stefanie • Grants Officer • Graduate

For me this is my first real experience with learning to code and I love it. And that is mostly because of the way Skilllcrush teaches, in a fun, inspiring and exciting way. Already before I started the Blueprint I was charmed by the way Skillcrush communicated with me, online throught their website and 1-to-1 through email. It shows their personal approach and commitment to really help their potential customers and students. The lessons are presented in a clear and creative way, which makes it easy enough for a beginner to follow. If my budget lets me, I would love to take another Blueprint after this one. Good job Skillcrush!

• Victoria • Student

I've tried learning to code with many different resources but this is hands down my favourite. Each lesson is explained using very visually appealing videos followed by a text round up and then a challenge where you can try out the lesson you've just learned. Then each class has its own community with class instructors where you can post your work and questions for feedback, there is also the opportunity to engage in google hangouts meetings with other students and your course leader about twice a month. The free resources that come from skillcrush are also incredibly valuable and the weekly job listings are amazing!

I cannot recommend this enough to anyone who is looking to try and learn some tech skills or brush up on ones that they already have