skillcrush-logo

Skillcrush

Skillcrush

Skillcrush is a woman-owned, independent, online coding & design school founded in 2012. Skillcrush offers both free and paid programs, including the self-paced Break Into Tech + Job Guarantee program, which prepares students for entry-level positions in front end development and design. Skillcrush is on a mission to empower career changers — with a special focus on women and BIPOC — with the technical skills they need to transition into higher-earning, more fulfilling and flexible careers in tech.

Students who enroll in the Break Into Tech program will have access to both the Front End Developer and Designer career tracks. The curriculum covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, Github, visual design fundamentals, and more. Once students complete the technical skill building portion of the Break Into Tech (about 16-20 weeks), they receive 180 days of hands-on job search support including 1-on-1 and group coaching, and the opportunity to interview with Skillcrush employer partners.

Skillcrush is an open enrollment school, so no application is necessary. Skillcrush has trained over 20,000 students, and has an over 90% success rate of placing students in qualified jobs with an average time to get hired of 8-10 weeks.

Skillcrush offers tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. Skillcrush encourages students to email hello@skillcrush.com to discuss payment options.

Recent Skillcrush Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (412) reviews for Skillcrush →

Recent Skillcrush News

Read all (10) articles about Skillcrush →
  • (1) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Front End Developer Track

Our Front End Developer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero coding knowledge to being a job ready front end developer with skills in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, and React with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499
    Refund / GuaranteeJob Guarantee: Full refund if you have not received a "qualified" job offer within 180 days of starting your job search. Satisfaction (No Regrets!) Guarantee: If you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase within 14 days, we will refund your money.
    ScholarshipWe offer tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. If any of these describe you, we encourage you to email hello@skillcrush.com to ask if you qualify.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for beginners with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • (2) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Designer Track

HTML, Design, CSS
    OnlinePart Time
    Our Designer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero design knowledge to being a job ready designer with skills in web and visual design fundamentals, branding and identity design, and HTML and CSS with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for career changes with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • Skillcrush
    - 9/20/2016
    Suzanne • Student

I had already received a diploma in Web Design from an online college but had HUGE gaps in my skills and no freelance training. Skillcrush has great little morsels of knowledge every day that are never too much to learn at a time. Easy to follow instruction with a really personal feel that I have not had with any online learning before. The school forums and freelance knowledge of the instructors are helping develop the confidence and the skills that I will need to actually get hired.

• Christina Zeni • Web Developer • Student

I cannot express to you how valuable Skillcrush has been to me as a resource. I signed up for THREE blueprints when I found out I was losing my job a month ago. I am about halfway through now. I'm in Front End Developer, Wordpress Developer and Visual Design. And once I get through these courses, I will be ready to start freelancing. I'm actually hoping to pick up my first project as soon as next week!

In addition to the courses, Skillcrush creates a wealth of resources in the form of blog posts, Ultimate Guides and webinars. Let me tell you, if you want to get into freelancing, you have to WATCH THE WEBINARS !!! (and those are free!) The Skillcrush community is awesome and supportive, and seeing all these women who have learned these skills and paved their way to success will show you that you can do it too!

Get the hard skills in the Blueprints. And learn how to run a business or land a job by listening to those who've done it. You can't lose. :)

• Amber • Graphic Designer • Graduate

I absolutely loved this blueprint. Feedback was constructive and very useful, and the instructors really kept up with each posted assignment in the Google Group. The software-learning lessons were actually fairly useful refreshers, and I loved how each project tied in with the other. This blueprint made for some very strong portfolio pieces, and I'm very excited to show potential employers the work I've done! I definitely recommend this course for anyone trying to concentrate on branding and identity design.

The instructors are super friendly and make it easy/comfortable to ask questions. Interacting with other students was also incredibly valuable. 5 stars!

• Cady Jacoby • Designer • Graduate

I just finished the Visual Design Blueprint, and it was awesome! The way the classes are structured for feedback is great- I got almost immediate feedback every time I posted class work or a question. And the actual feedback sessions were cool - Google hangouts made it super easy to not only get, but to give feedback and interact with instructors and other students.

• Ky Trang Ho • Forbes contributor taking Front-End Web Development Blueprint

TL DR

I love it! have tried tons of online boot camps and Skillcrush is the only one that makes it fun -- complete with jokes, silly sound effects, music, analogies and cheerleading. The platform is the most well designed I've seen from a technical, aesthetic and pedagogical perspective. The founder and instructor, Adda Birnir, is very inspiring and lovable.

I recommend taking "Learning How to Learn" by UC San Diego on Coursera before embarking on an educational endeavor. After taking this short course (rated 4.8 stars with nearly 17K ratings), you will see Skillcrush applies the principles of effective learning very well. It breaks big concepts into chunks, uses analogies and metaphors, gives quizzes frequently, has you practice on your own and reviews what you just learned. Listening to a lecture and then reading the material helps cement the info because you're reinforcing what you've learned in multiple ways.

The Whole Shebang

Since embarking on my coding journey nearly two years ago, I have read a truck ton of reviews on Quora, SkilledUp, Course Report, Reddit, etc. I also tried just about every online coding school with free trials:

• Dash
    • Treehouse
    • FreeCodeCamp
    • Flatiron
    • The Firehose Project

By nature, I thoroughly research and compare all potential options because I am an aggressive shopper/bargain hunter and a business reporter. (Check out my coverage of Shark Tank and investing for Forbes! :0) I got addicted to test driving online boot camps in search of the holy grail of coding schools. I would do several modules on one site and then get seduced by another school's ad for a shiny new course or discount offer.

I never completed a full course at one school. The material was over my head a few lessons into the Ruby on Rails and JavaScript classes. I would get stuck and look up answers in the forums but I never fully understood the concept because the answer was spelled out for me. I was constantly looking for something better and I couldn't decide which language I should learn first. I was also unsure whether I should pursue front-end, full-stack, data science, Wordpress, etc.

At first, I felt like a loser for being a professional quitter but I really shouldn't be. After all, I can't know what works best for me until I try it myself. Online reviews are helpful but they cannot guarantee you will have a similar experience. We all have our idiosyncracies when it comes to learning. As the Japanese saying goes, "10 people 10 colors."

In an effort to buckle down and see a course through, I decided I should attend an in-person boot camp. I figured the teachers would keep me on track and I wouldn't get easily distracted. I signed up for newsletters and interviewed with a handful of the major schools. I also visited one school in LA and watched many group webinars. I made a monster spreadsheet with Google Docs comparing 25 schools in my area and online.

My got a "women in tech" scholarship from one school in LA but it would still cost me $8,000 to attend -- far more than some online schools. I was reluctant to try Skillcrush because of a few bad reviews on Quora. But I tried it because of the good reviews on Course Report. I just started and I am nearly finished with the second week of the Front-End Web Development Blueprint at Skillcrush. I love it! It's really the best I've seen and I've seen a lot. I intend to finish it.

• Shay • Student

Living the html&css course right now. The lessons are easy to understand and I am breezing through the material. I love it! I've already recommended it to a few friends and family members. I do wish there was a separate section outside of the lessons where I voted practice creating the codes more, instead of just inputting the missing data that I just learned. It's great while going through a lesson but not so much for a cumulative learning program. Again, I am still in the beginning stages of the course so there may be more practice later.

• Mariela Madariaga • Commercial Director

I am really happy with the lessons I have finished so far. It is really good for me to complete lessons at my own time since I have a full time job and just found out I'm pregnant! So fighting the sleeping attacks takes a lot of energy but I am doing my best to finish all the projects and classes.

I am really enthusiastic about a career change and I feel Skillcrush will help a lot with it!

Thank you!

Mariela

• Morgan • Graphic Design Student • Student

I was very excited to sign up for one of Skillcrush's Blueprints because I admired their mission and purpose. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the curriculum and structure of the course.  I am more of a visual learner and I thought I would get that kind of instruction in this course. Instead, I would watch a short video of the instructor speeding through her explainations of how students are expected to implement the code. Following the video, there would be written instructions of what the instructor quickly explained in the previous video. After I would complete what I was instructed to do, the written instructions displayed what my code should look like. To my suprise, I would see other class names and new properties added that I was not told to include in the written instructions nor had I ever seen them prior to the lesson. It was a common thing for me to see new concepts added without any thorough explaination beforehand.

I did well in the first section on HTML & CSS in the course because I'd already done the HTML & CSS course in Codecademy. Plus, the explainations and instructions were more thorough in that section. However, once I got to the Responsive Development (Skillcrush 206) section, things changed. There were a lot of gaps in lessons, meaning videos and lessons were not very in depth, and I like I mentioned before new concepts would be added without prior knowledge or explaination. I felt like the course went, "Ok, you know HTML & CSS, now you're on your own."

Anyone who decides to sign up for Skillcrush, I would advise them to have some knowledge of Web Development beforehand or you will get lost and have to use outside resources often. Remember that you have 30 days after signing up for their courses to get a full refund so make sure to go through at least the second section of the course to determine whether you like it or not. Sadly, I did not find out how the remainder of the course would be until after the 30 days and it was too late to get my money back.

One good thing I can say about Skillcrush is the instructors would respond to my emails within a few days and helped a great deal, but I often was able to find the solution to my problems quicker in Facebook groups and on stackoverflow.com. Skillcrush's blog posts also offer great content and I read those often but I was very disappointed and not at all impressed by their Front-End Blueprint.

I switched to Treehouse and I like their courses much better. They offer a monthly subscription which I prefer over paying one rate of $399 for Skillcrush, and they break down their lessons more and explain every little detail which I appreciate. Honestly, you can find much better courses for a lot cheaper and gain more knowledge about Web Development.

• Daria • Social Media Strategist

I´m currently enrolled in this course and I absolutely love it. I´ve been trying to find a good Wordpress course for a while and nothing seemed good enough until I found Skillcrush. The lessons are fun and very informative. They have a lot of resources that they share with their students and separate videos for future job preparation. ​Totally worth it!

• Virginia • Student

I'm currently enrolled in the WordPress Blueprint and extremely happy with the results. I had been trying to teach myself Wordpress by redesigning an old site for a friend of mine, but I was floundering a bit with the details and sometimes gerry-rigging something I knew wasn't a best practice. The WordPress blueprint. has taught me all of the basic structure of a custom WordPress page, as well as how to set up a professional workflow. It's full of professional development, too, and I can't imagine a better preparation for starting to freelance. The only downside is that it can be a bit too easy--they will often give you the option of writing your own code or copying and pasting a chunk--but it has helped me stay on track with the lessons despite a crazy schedule. If you're looking for a course  that's full time and super technical, this is not for you. If you're looking for practical know-how to start freelancing as a WordPress designer--sign up!

• Amber Lovell • Administrative Secretary • Student

I enrolled in the front end developer blueprint. I enjoyed the videos with Adda and the uplifting attitude she has. I tried to learn while working a full time stressful job, which was very challenging but I got through it. I think that this bootcamp is the most cheerful out there, which makes a big difference. There is a large amount of effort that went into the courses which I appreciated. I am glad that I took a chance and was able to become part of the skillcrush community. I did not enjoy 206, I found it to be overwhelming, way too fast paced, and I felt thrown into the deep end of the pool with no assistance, which caused some feelings of discouragement and resentment towards the work, and I now think coding is not for me after going through the entire blueprint. I think that if you are interested in becoming a developer, you should definitely take a blueprint, whether it's the front end dev or wordpress dev or web dev; if nothing else, going through the challenging world for 3 months with Adda cheering you on in the videos will help you to make a truthful decision about where you're at with this field!! :)

• Visual Designer
    - 8/27/2016
    Bianca • Social Media Manager • Student

I learned so much in such a short amount of time with Skillcrush. The way the information was presented each week was very organized and helpful. I loved that the weekends gave us a break and time to catch up with the lessons. I also enjoyed how after each section we were given a week break to work on the final projects. Skillcrush introduced me to a community of experienced and new designers that are willing to share and help with each others work. I enjoyed the webinars that gave me that extra boost in knowledge and helped me figure out how to start a real freelance career once I am done with my blueprint. Between the videos and the design resources, I feel like I have the tools to continue to flourish in my skills at my new job as a social media manager. I can't wait to apply my new skills to a real freelancing career.