skillcrush-logo

Skillcrush

Skillcrush

Skillcrush is a woman-owned, independent, online coding & design school founded in 2012. Skillcrush offers both free and paid programs, including the self-paced Break Into Tech + Job Guarantee program, which prepares students for entry-level positions in front end development and design. Skillcrush is on a mission to empower career changers — with a special focus on women and BIPOC — with the technical skills they need to transition into higher-earning, more fulfilling and flexible careers in tech.

Students who enroll in the Break Into Tech program will have access to both the Front End Developer and Designer career tracks. The curriculum covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, Github, visual design fundamentals, and more. Once students complete the technical skill building portion of the Break Into Tech (about 16-20 weeks), they receive 180 days of hands-on job search support including 1-on-1 and group coaching, and the opportunity to interview with Skillcrush employer partners.

Skillcrush is an open enrollment school, so no application is necessary. Skillcrush has trained over 20,000 students, and has an over 90% success rate of placing students in qualified jobs with an average time to get hired of 8-10 weeks.

Skillcrush offers tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. Skillcrush encourages students to email hello@skillcrush.com to discuss payment options.

Recent Skillcrush Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (412) reviews for Skillcrush →

Recent Skillcrush News

Read all (10) articles about Skillcrush →
  • (1) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Front End Developer Track

Our Front End Developer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero coding knowledge to being a job ready front end developer with skills in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, and React with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499
    Refund / GuaranteeJob Guarantee: Full refund if you have not received a "qualified" job offer within 180 days of starting your job search. Satisfaction (No Regrets!) Guarantee: If you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase within 14 days, we will refund your money.
    ScholarshipWe offer tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. If any of these describe you, we encourage you to email hello@skillcrush.com to ask if you qualify.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for beginners with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • (2) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Designer Track

HTML, Design, CSS
    OnlinePart Time
    Our Designer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero design knowledge to being a job ready designer with skills in web and visual design fundamentals, branding and identity design, and HTML and CSS with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for career changes with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • Worth Every Penny
    - 10/8/2016
    Shay

After recently being laid off, I realized that I didn't really have the skills that employers are looking for these days. Luckily, I stumbled upon Skillcrush and I'm so glad I did. I'm currently enrolled in two blueprints: Visual Design and Front End Development. I'm learning so much, so quickly, and I can't wait to start using my new skills to get an exciting job at a tech company, or maybe even start my own business. I would highly encourage anyone who's looking to learn marketable skills in a fun and easy way to sign up for a blueprint. You won't regret it!

• Courtney Pastorick • Visual Designer • Graduate

I'm just finishing the 3-month Visual Design Blueprint.  I have learned so much in these three short months.  The content of each course within the skillcrush blueprint is super organized and laid out in a way that is both, easy to learn and understand.  The instructors super helpful and always give great feedback on work.  Aside from the actual course, skillcrush constantly e-mails useful tips and information on how to apply your new skill set in the real world.  If you keep up with the coursework and take advantage of the resources available you can expect to succeed.  Even if you fall behind though...fear not!! Skillcrush offers the option of jumping into the class behind yours.  This is really great because you still have the opportunity for your work to be reviewed.  Getting feedback from people is immensely helpful and skillcrush does a great job of making this an essential part of their program.  Way to go Skillcrush, A+!! The only suggestions I would make: develop an all inclusive platform for submitting assignments, storing files, and receiving feedback from fellow classmates and create a final packet for students.  Which would include all assignments submitted throughout the course, in a book type format.  All in all, I have no regrets taking this course! I highly recommend it to anyone interested in web/design, looking to expand their knowledge or further their career.

• Beth Buschman-Kelly • Web Editor • Student

At 4 weeks in, this course is great. I was doing Free Code Camp but got a little stuck on the first on-your-own coding project. I don't have much time each day to commit and it needed more forethought and planning than I could do on the fly. This class holds your hand more, but it also gives you all the information you need for a coding project and breaks everything down into small sections, so if I can't finish in one session, I can easily pick up where I left off. Nice mix of videos, documents to read, and challenges. Requires about an hour a day (M-F), which is the perfect amount of time for me.

• Carmen

I am a professional social work administrator transitioning to a career in tech. When I found Skillcrush (through Facebook), I was beyond burned out in my role with a state agency, and I was spurred to explore the tech world as a result of a painful encounter with a contractor developing an advanced software system for the state agency for which I worked. The experience made me realize that in order to be competitive in the 21st century economy, I was going to need some serious tech skills. I assessed my life (as a wife and mother to two small boys), my budget, and my own capacity for change, and I decided I could make all three work together to make the switch. At that point, all I needed was a way to learn that would fit my life stage and style. I enjoy learning, and I am self-motivated so I first considered completing a formal Master of Science degree in Data Science through a local university in Tulsa; however, it was going to cost at least $10,000 to complete, which seemed to me like a steep price to pay for something I wasn't sure would get me to exactly where I wanted to be, and I'd have to brush up on my HTML and CSS, as well as the programming language C prior to even beginning the program.

Then I found Skillcrush (enter angels singing, "Aaaaaaah!"). I was immediately drawn in by their accessible platorm, and their approach - which is basically that anyone with enough motivation and moxy can learn to code. I pitched my plan to my husband, who at this point was looking at me with side-eyes, and once I showed him the platform for the free 10-day bootcamp, we were both convinced this was a great, affordable option for me to make the switch.

From that point forward, my entire experience with Skillcrush has been very positive & encouraging. Kelli has been AMAZING at responding to all of my 1500 questions with patience, kindness, and most of all with directly helpful information. When I had to take a long hiatus from my blueprint coursework, Skillcrush accommodated my request to be added to the current on-going blueprint when I resumed the course (though I'm still playing catch-up, mainly to myself) and also added me to the Skillcrush 300 Apprenticeship that was added after the point in time that I signed up for the Blueprint, all for no additinal charge. Skillcrush also allowed me to sign up for the WordPress Freelance Blueprint at a discount; they have really bent over backward to help me accomplish my goals, and I am so grateful that they really care about what each of their students is doing.

While Skillcrush's customer service is a major selling point for the company, so is their curriculum. The lessons take into account the various learning styles, and they include videos, reading, links to resources, and practice coding the information you're learning. So you learn a new skill, and you put it immediately to use. For me, this is the best way to help me remember the information I am learning. The lessons are succinct, while still giving you everything you need to know to compete in the job market successfully. Adda and the entire Skillcrush team takes their business seriously, and they still have fun in the process. The curriculum is dynamic, enjoyable, pressure-free, encouraging, and choc-FULL of the most up-to-date information from the world of tech.

One other aspect I have really appreciated about Skillcrush is that they have normalized all of the self-doubt that inevitably comes along with learning tech skills when you are coming from a non-tech career. I think other on-line coding schools perhaps underestimate the dynamic of imposter syndrome in their approach; Skillcrush addresses it head-on. Each person at Skillcrush puts his/her ego aside to focus on the methods of teaching/learning that are helpful in real time, without pretense, and with an earnest heart. For women, I would say this has the most potential to break down barriers and allow space for a diverse range of people, with diverse backgrounds, to enter the world of tech.

Besides offering world-class courses and excellent customer service, Skillcrush also offers HANDS-DOWN, the BEST career development resources and support for anyone wanting to make a career change to tech, add tech-skills to their portfolio, work free-lance, or be hired by an agency. They have substantive blog posts, a TON of free down-loadable guides, career development webinars with industry experts, and job-post emails with current postings that go straight to your inbox.

Though I am still working through my Web Design Blueprint, I have signed up for the WordPress Developer Blueprint, and I cannot highly enough recommend Skillcrush for anyone considering learning tech skills. It is the lowest threshold to a professional education you will find, and it is the fastest way to enter the tech world so you can pivot quickly.

Check 'em out! www.skillcrush.com ROCKS!

• Antoniya Dimitrova • Graduate

I was a stay home mom with great ideas but outdated skills or at least that's how I felt when it came to looking for a job that was going to fulfill all my creative needs.  All the posting out there were requiring a skills I didn't have, using fancy terms that drove me away and discouraged me.  Then I accidently stumbled on Skillcrush Visual Design Blueprint right before my European vacation that I was going on with my 5 years old son.  I was immediately attracted to their promising offerings..."Learn how to code and get a high paying job" Wow it even rimes!  I have never taken any online courses just to be clear, so I told myself "Why not, what you have to loose?!"  So I enrolled in Visual Design Blueprint witch fit's in my Visual Artist background( drawing, sketching, illustrating). After all they were promising that the class are for total newbies and it will take about an hour a day.  Well it was PERFECT for me!  Although some lessons took me longer than hour... 😕 maybe because I was over thinking it or maybe because I was on Vacation😊 but every part of it is well planned and was packed only with the most important needed information.  I loved their Video tutorials with Randle (hope I spelled it correct)  Even though I had to pause them about 1000 times and watch them over and over again.  Hey I'm proficient in Photoshop and Illustrator this is not only a geek territory anymore... I'm in! 😄 They boosted my creativity, encouraged me and gave me plenty of resources to freelance at.  I would do it all over again!

• Tatiana • Student

I'm probably in the older than the typical learner "crowd". With Skillcrush, the pace of the learning and variety of ways to learn is actually helping to push me ahead.

The instructional videos are short, sweet, and funny clips you can watch when you have the time. The hands-on practice sessions are challenging and fun. When I have a question, I can participate in an online group where students and instructors can pitch in, or I can email an instructor directly.

Each day I receive an email from the instructor and a list of tasks. As I complete a task, the screen visually records my progress. Further, Skillcrush provides a lot of bonuses like online resources, coaching for job search, thoughtful enthusiasm and encouragement that makes you feel that you can do this!

If you want to start a new chapter like myself this is the place to start.

• Dalton Ying • Teacher • Student

This is a great course. You are able to proceed at your own pace.  The lessons are very straight forward and to the point.  If you want to learn how to code, this is the place to learn it.  The instructors know how to code and know how to teach others how to code.  Knowing how to code and knowing how to teach it are two different things and something that I was worried about signing up for a coding course.  Skillcrush knows how to do both of these and I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to learn how to code. Worth every penny.

• Deena • Owner • Student

For several months, I wanted to take their Web Designer Blueprint but I was also just starting my online marketing business so time and money were tight. In August, I finally signed up and started taking the first module (Design). It was awesome. Just the right amount of material was given during each day's lesson so I could spend about an hour learning/practicing, and then move on with the rest of my work day.

Everyone was super helpful and friendly. My instructor, William, was very prompt in answering questions and it was great chatting with him and other classmates during Office Hours (Google Hangouts). I've moved onto second section of the Blueprint, (Coding) and am finding it really enjoyable. I highly recommend them. Their courses are top notch!

• Fantastic course!
    - 9/22/2016
    Carla • Stay at home mom • Graduate

I was really intimidated about learning how to code.  Having tried a few free courses online, I knew I needed a more structured program with a complete end game, that's what Skillcrush is.

The staff is very helpful and responsive, even more so than I've seen in some in-person settings.

As I work through the program I realize coding is not as hard as it seemed, and the challenge to master different sections is really invigorating.

I highly recommend this course to anyone who is just getting started and isn't sure where to go or what to do.  If you're serious about learning to code- this is the best bang for your buck.

• Crystal ONeil • Student
    I am really enjoying the way the course is outlined. The videos make it easy to understand. Challenges that follow allow you to implement everything you learn.
  • Adam Rosenblum • Student

So I didn't know anything...that may be a bit harsh, but when it came to Ruby it is more than fair. After just two weeks I can easily say that this class is far exceeding my expectations.

Everyday you get to learn a little more in bite-sized chunks that lead to more and more knowledge.  The progression and the lessons make sense without a giant leap that will leave you confused, but if you do their is more than enough help to get you back on track.  The exercises will make you think and once you've completed them you can give a huge sigh and pat yourself on the back that you did it...you actually programmed something (other than the DVR).

I love the daily emails, and the encouragement...you aren't in this alone and both Adda (and Max) let you know this.  Max even responded on a Sunday...you really can't beat that!

If you are thinking about learning Ruby / Rails then you really do owe it to yourself to give this a shot.

Bottom line:  I can't tell you what to do, but I am extremely happy that I signed up for Skillcrush and would do it again!

• Miranda • Marketing Specialist • Student

I debated on starting this course for about a year before I took the $400 plunge and I'm so glad I did. I read books on HTML & CSS and web design and those were helpful, but I wasn't able to practice very well on my own. This course broke all of that important information down for me, gave me structured lessons and helped me build a portfolio I was really proud of! I'm also super excited about landing a JOB when I was just halfway through the course! Taking the initiative to learn these skills on my own was enough to impress my interviewer and now I'll get to keep developing these skills. I plan to take the Wordpress Development Course next!