skillcrush-logo

Skillcrush

Skillcrush

Skillcrush is a woman-owned, independent, online coding & design school founded in 2012. Skillcrush offers both free and paid programs, including the self-paced Break Into Tech + Job Guarantee program, which prepares students for entry-level positions in front end development and design. Skillcrush is on a mission to empower career changers — with a special focus on women and BIPOC — with the technical skills they need to transition into higher-earning, more fulfilling and flexible careers in tech.

Students who enroll in the Break Into Tech program will have access to both the Front End Developer and Designer career tracks. The curriculum covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, Github, visual design fundamentals, and more. Once students complete the technical skill building portion of the Break Into Tech (about 16-20 weeks), they receive 180 days of hands-on job search support including 1-on-1 and group coaching, and the opportunity to interview with Skillcrush employer partners.

Skillcrush is an open enrollment school, so no application is necessary. Skillcrush has trained over 20,000 students, and has an over 90% success rate of placing students in qualified jobs with an average time to get hired of 8-10 weeks.

Skillcrush offers tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. Skillcrush encourages students to email hello@skillcrush.com to discuss payment options.

Recent Skillcrush Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (412) reviews for Skillcrush →

Recent Skillcrush News

Read all (10) articles about Skillcrush →
  • (1) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Front End Developer Track

Our Front End Developer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero coding knowledge to being a job ready front end developer with skills in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, and React with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499
    Refund / GuaranteeJob Guarantee: Full refund if you have not received a "qualified" job offer within 180 days of starting your job search. Satisfaction (No Regrets!) Guarantee: If you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase within 14 days, we will refund your money.
    ScholarshipWe offer tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. If any of these describe you, we encourage you to email hello@skillcrush.com to ask if you qualify.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for beginners with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • (2) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Designer Track

HTML, Design, CSS
    OnlinePart Time
    Our Designer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero design knowledge to being a job ready designer with skills in web and visual design fundamentals, branding and identity design, and HTML and CSS with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for career changes with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • Jacquetta • Student

I am enrolled in the WordPress Bootcamp which includes three blueprints. Front End Developer, WordPress Developer and Visual Designer. I am on the first blueprint which is Front End Developer and I find it resourceful and provides the right amount of education. I am a complete code newbie. I never ever thought that I would be able to code. I always thought it would require advance math skills. Now I now better lol. Skillcrush has opened my eyes to a future career that I will be able to do from anywhere. Skillcrush has given me the confidence to pursue a different career path and I can't wait to finish this and start it.

• Courtney B • Student

I'm nearing the end of my first 'career blueprint' with skillcrush but I'm already planning which other blueprints I want to take. These blueprints are three classes bundled together with nice, easy to follow videos (I actually speed them up) and a very nice manager/mentor. There's also a forum for sharing work for critiques, asking questions, and everyone is participating, which I didn't really expect from an online course. It's definitely not a traditional bootcamp but it does talk about other computer knowledge a person who works on a computer for a living should know. Actually, sign up for their 10-bootcamp email for free and you'll get an idea of what you're getting into. and it's SO cheap compared to regular bootcamps. I did DevBootcamp and was asked ot leave b/c I wasn't learning fast enough. They gave back a huge refund but I'm still without a great paying job AND I have another loan! The whole reason I accepted the other loan was b/c they say you'll be able to pay it off so quickly once you finish DBC. Anyway, no loan needed here and there's far less lost in translation.

P.S. You definitely know it was created by women too. Just saying.

• loving this course!
    Laurel • Graphic Designer • Student

I have tried a lot of different courses online and by far this one has been structured perfectly for my needs. The content is broken up into small lessons that start with a video, then it recaps what was said in the video with some examples, then you practice within the website's coding box and then take a quiz. Plus you have people to ask questions to via google groups and office hours.. all this for only $399 is amazing!

• Skillcrush Rocks!
    Jennifer Broman • Student

I have had the best experience with Skillcrush! I'm doing the Wordpress bootcamp which includes Front End Developer Blueprint, Freelance Wordpress Developer Blueprint and the Visual Designer Blueprint. I'm so excited to being able to work on all three of these in the "right order".  I think the progression of skill sets is perfect.  I also appreciate the easy to understand videos and alternate transcripts which I save and refer back to as needed.

The is the first class I've taken in quite some time.  Everyone is very friendly and helpful. I never feel rushed or left behind and I really look forward to doing my lessons.  As a matter of fact, whenever I have a little "downtime" I tend to fire up the computer to learn code!  Love that!

Thanks Skillcrush!

• Tremendous value!!!
    Ed Short • Student

I had researched quite a bit of training formats before I enrolled with Skillcrush.  I took the free 10 day introduction to HTML bootcamp and I liked the approach so I was off to the races when the WordPress Bootcamp was offered which is three blueprints: Front End Developer, Freelance WordPress Developer and Visual Design.  I am still cranking through the Front End Developer blueprint.  I probably put in more time than typical, about 20 hours per week. The verdict?  Skillcrush rocks!!  Very well structured, paced, presented, and taught.  Fantastic support from the Skillcrush team as you work through each step.  I like the fact that they bring the student community together too.  There is a lot of assistance and information provided in addition to learning to code in the form of career guidance, webinars, Master Classes, etc.  They have thought of pretty much everything...!  Overall, a tremendous value!!!  I highly recommend that if you really want to learn - come on over and have some fun!!!!

• Love It !!
    Shelly Young • AR specialist (for now) • Student

I am having a blast while taking this course! I sooo hope I can master the skill of coding and get a job in analytics some day soon because I am loving it that much. I signed up for CS classes with Capella and HATED IT.  There was so many required assignments that had NOTHING to do with what I was paying to learn.  Skillcrush is teaching me exactly what I wanted to learn.  And they have tons of support and respond almost immediately to emails.  I asked which direction I should go for analytics and got an email back right away WITH which courses to take AND a list of employers that are hiring for that position and what they are requiring their candidates to have experience in.  Never got that from Capella!  I am extrememly happy with what I have seen so far with Skillcrush.

• Marina • Digital Programs Coordinator • Student

I was originally hesitant about signing up for a Skillcrush blueprints since I thought I might be a bit too far along in my learning--I have a few years of HTML/CSS experience, have been working on websites on the surface level for a while, and had recently completed Codecademy courses on JavaScript, jQuery, and Ruby.

I started off by signing up for the "10-Day Bootcamp" emails from Skillcrush (these cover the basics), reading their blog, and watching their web(inar) summits, which are all free services.

After about a month of bookmarking almost every Skillcrush blog post and starring their daily newsletters (I'm not one to do this lightly), I finally gave in and signed up for the Freelance WordPress Developer Blueprint.

Within a month, I had signed up for another two blueprints (deferring one since I work full-time).

It's been six weeks since I started my first blueprint and I already have my first client. I've also built a somewhat complex WordPress site, created freelance packages, started using Github, got over my fear of the command prompt, and am gearing up to make a responsive portfolio site from scratch (not on WP).

Things I love about Skillcrush:

1. Concepts are broken down into bite-sized pieces, each building off the last in a logical progression.
    2. The lessons and exercises can fit easily into your schedule (five to ten hours a week per blueprint).
    3. Daily emails keep you on track but the lack of due dates allows for stress-free learning.
    4. Students are given weekends and one week a month to catch up or go back and review concepts.
    5. There's a great balance of video content, short reading, online exercises, and assistance for setting things up on your local machine (Mac and PC).
    6. The teachers are great and really take the time to help both in the forums and at weekly office hours. (Shout-out to Ann! And also to Kelli, who is not an instructor but also wonderful!)
    7. The focus on best practices and professional standards sets you up to succeed in the tech world.
    8. A wealth of information, from topic-specific webinars to resume templates to freelance guides to step-by-step/get-sh*t-done tutorials, is at your disposal.
    9. The tone and branding are awesome and well fit for the core audience.
    10. Students have lifetime access to the class materials once they sign up, even if they defer the start date.

Suggestions:

1. It'd be great to see more classes (each blueprint consists of 3 one-month classes) offered individually, particularly responsive design.
    2. The lessons on the command line and Git/Github are fantastic but it'd be helpful to have a one-month option also, where students could really nail the ideas down and go into a bit more depth.
    3. I wanted to think of a third thing since I prefer that number, but everything else I've loved so far!

I couldn't be happier with Skillcrush. I had been considering applying to Hackbright or another full-time Bay Area bootcamp, but since I'm more interested in frontend development and design, not in a position to quit my day job, and too hesitant to take out a hefty student loan, Skillcrush turned out to be the perfect thing. Thank you, Adda, for creating it, and for everyone else for making it what it is!

• Theresa Smith • Graphic Print & Web Designer • Student

I am really enjoying the Front End Developer Course. The classes explain everything clearly and in detail... especially if you are a newbie at coding! I love the format of the lessons with video, written text, examples, practice sessions and a short quiz at the end of each section. I was so impressed that I was going to email Adda and tell her how much I am loving the program, but then I received an email about submitting this review. I haven't interacted much with the Instructors yet or been ready for Job Assistance but my experience has been excellent so far... looking forward to taking more classes in the future! :)

• claudette

I am really enjoying this web designer blueprint course. The format and explanations are very clear and I like the video deliveries and lesson resources. I feel I've learnt so much in a short space of time and being able to fit the course around my life is invaluable. Im super happy I've discovered Skillcrush:))

• April Cramer • Student

Years ago I dabbled in HTML and CSS though it wasn't in the cards for me at the time. Now that I've been in healthcare management for several years, I find myself longing for a change. For months I researched course options, boot camps (..and their frightening price tags), and that's when I found Skillcrush. A month into the Front End Developer Blueprint, I'm  ready to sign up for every Blueprint, without hesitation. The lessons and resources provided are exceptional.

Skillcrush, you keep doing what your doing. Thanks for changing my life!

• Change of Direction
    - 10/11/2016
    Ronnie Mcknight • Developer • Student

I made a committment to myself and my family to seek out better opportunities and improve my skillset.  After months of research and perhaps procrastination, I enrolled in a Skillcrush course.  I spent a good deal of time researching and speaking with their online team bout which "blueprint' was right for me. I got great advice from the staff, and was given access to plenty of very helpful resources and testimonials that really helped me make the right decision.  I am 75% done with the Web Developer Blueprint and already have been able to contribute to some local project and causes, as well as increased job offers even before I've fully completed the course.  Thanks for being given the chance.

• Kaylea Britton

I am currently enrolled for the Front End Development Blueprint that starts tomorrow, October 10th. The enrollment process was super quick and easy and there has been a lot of information provided through emails and webinars to help me prepare for the Blueprint and working in Tech in general.

My favorite thing so far is that I was given access to my coursework pretty much as soon as I enrolled. I have been able to work ahead and will start the course tomorrow with the first 2 weeks worth of lessons completed. The only downside is that you can't join the Google group until the night before so I haven't been able to receive any feedback on my work. This is not a big deal to me though in comparison to the headstart I was able to get considering I have no prior coding experience other than throwing together a 1-page site with HTML that I learned in half an hour and CSS that I learned from Google.

While the Blueprint hasn't even techinically started yet, I would highly recommend Skillcrush to anyone who is interested in coding, especially if you have no prior experience like me because they make it fun and easy to learn.

Things I am looking forward to/hoping to see as the course goes on: much more practice so that you can commit more concepts to memory, in-depth career services (because I know nothing about freelance or the Tech sector), and feedback from my instructor on my code.

*Since the course hasn't officially started yet I can't rate the instructors or job assistance.