skillcrush-logo

Skillcrush

Skillcrush

Skillcrush is a woman-owned, independent, online coding & design school founded in 2012. Skillcrush offers both free and paid programs, including the self-paced Break Into Tech + Job Guarantee program, which prepares students for entry-level positions in front end development and design. Skillcrush is on a mission to empower career changers — with a special focus on women and BIPOC — with the technical skills they need to transition into higher-earning, more fulfilling and flexible careers in tech.

Students who enroll in the Break Into Tech program will have access to both the Front End Developer and Designer career tracks. The curriculum covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, Github, visual design fundamentals, and more. Once students complete the technical skill building portion of the Break Into Tech (about 16-20 weeks), they receive 180 days of hands-on job search support including 1-on-1 and group coaching, and the opportunity to interview with Skillcrush employer partners.

Skillcrush is an open enrollment school, so no application is necessary. Skillcrush has trained over 20,000 students, and has an over 90% success rate of placing students in qualified jobs with an average time to get hired of 8-10 weeks.

Skillcrush offers tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. Skillcrush encourages students to email hello@skillcrush.com to discuss payment options.

Recent Skillcrush Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (412) reviews for Skillcrush →

Recent Skillcrush News

Read all (10) articles about Skillcrush →
  • (1) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Front End Developer Track

Our Front End Developer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero coding knowledge to being a job ready front end developer with skills in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, and React with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499
    Refund / GuaranteeJob Guarantee: Full refund if you have not received a "qualified" job offer within 180 days of starting your job search. Satisfaction (No Regrets!) Guarantee: If you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase within 14 days, we will refund your money.
    ScholarshipWe offer tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. If any of these describe you, we encourage you to email hello@skillcrush.com to ask if you qualify.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for beginners with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • (2) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Designer Track

HTML, Design, CSS
    OnlinePart Time
    Our Designer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero design knowledge to being a job ready designer with skills in web and visual design fundamentals, branding and identity design, and HTML and CSS with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for career changes with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • Lisa Dodson

The daily breakdown in the curriculum is great.  It helps me feel accomplished when I can complete a day and commit changes! It also logically builds upon skills from day to day.  I have not had much need or opportunity to participate in the Google Hangouts/Zoom face to face office hours; however, the instructors are really good at responding to questions in the class's Google Group.  When I hit a roadblock, I never have to wait very long to get guidance on how to fix things.

I had been looking a Skillcrush for a while and after attending a day-long virtual conference that they held, I decided to take the plunge with the Wordpress Developer Blueprint.  No regrets!  I was already slightly familiar with WP but sort of fumbled through it, I feel like I'm actually learning it as a developer and learning coding skills instead of just plugging things into fields through the WP admin.

I haven't had much opportuntity to explore job assistance yet unless this means the resume building webinar, so I can't give it 5 stars yet.

• Sherry • Student

I love how easy the classes are to follow. I went in skeptic thinking that it would bore me to death like other online courses out there but I WAS SO WRONG! Now I'm loving every second of it learning. It's the first time I'm taking a course and actually enjoying learning. the courses are so engaging that I'm speeding through the course.

**I'm giving 3 stars for instructor rating just because I haven't talked to any of them but they replied so fast when I asked a question before going into the program which is a ++

• Kari • Copywriter + Visual Designer • Student

I'm really happy that I chose to go with Skillcrush. I was totally frustrated by my current freelance writing career and wanted a course that would give me basic design skills and provide learning support throughout.

I chose freelance because they provided so much value and cheerfulness up front, through webinars, e-books and emails. It sounded like a guided learning experience from people who cared about their community, which is so much more helpful than courses where you're left on your own.

The classes taught me the basics of Adobe design tools and my instructors gave really helpful feedback. It was fun, and the course materials gave me a clear sense of how to do each project. I even got my first job involving these skills before the end of the class, so I have a lot more confidence going forward.

*My one recommendation would be to just *talk about* responsive wireframing -- I have no idea whether for apps or games we'll have to start on different-sized canvases, and my first job involves wireframing and everyone's so insistent on responsiveness in job posts.

• Jesselynn Amerling • Jr. Developer

I have completed Skillcrush's Front End Developer and Visual Designer blueprints. They were both awesome! I really like how Skillcrush holds your hand (virtually) through all kinds of tools and concepts. They shrink down complicated procedures and have students do small chunks at a time so you don't feel overwhelmed. I didn't have to spend much time Googling answers to questions because they were already there! (Of course, you can always ask an instructor too).

Now I have a job as a Jr. Developer that I feel extremely lucky to have AND I'm about to dip my toes in freelance design work. I'm super excited to go back through some of the tutorials, especially JavaScript, and review some lessons so I can add more skills to my resume :)

I wish I had some constructive critisicm.. All I can say is please make more curriculum! I think I saw a Ruby on Rails blueprint way back when? Let's bring that back.

• Mark • Freelance Consultant

As someone with an engineering technical background, as business owner and a practicing artist, I had very little previous experience with the meta-world of applied web design. The course was a great introduction and overview of the work flow, design processes, terminology, software tools and design resources needed to begin either professional-level work as a junior web designer or as an overview to support other Information Design objectives. Highly recommended.

• SkillCrush
    - 12/22/2016
    Esther Maxwell • Entrepreneur Freelance Graphic Designer

Learning to Code/Design/Enter the incredible world of technology. The structure is sound & well balanced in this course. Step-by-step instructions & set up in bits & pieces so you can absorb it well while practicing it. The team & teacher support here is fantastic & they keep tabs well with you, as well as respective classmates. Look forward to this course if you register, you will not regret the decision you make to delve into this & this industry in specific.

Cheers & Happy Coding,

Esther Maxwell

• Kirsten DiVito • Student

These courses are broken down into baby steps with fun lesson challenges. It allows people who have no experience coding to get started and not become overwhelemed. There are lots of books and youtube videoes, blogs, etc... out there that you can try to learn how to code from but Skillcrush makes learning code so much more attainable with its easy to understand course work. Also, lots of support from other students and instructors when needed! I've tried to teach myself html & CSS from other resources in the past and ended up feeling defeated and confused. I am very happy to have found Skillcrush!

• Matt Mortensen

Skillcrush was amazaing at not only teaching me the syntax and structure of programming but also the concepts that most don't think about when starting in the tech industry, like web hosting, using photoshop to help build your website, etc. I think the biggest take away for me was the groups of people I got to interact with on a daily basis. I always thought posting and replying on forms was such a taunting task that I convinced myself to reaserch for hours until I found my answer but thanks to the Instructors making it seem so painless and easy to ask questions, I was able to finally overcome that fear and now I actually enjoy commenting, and posting on forms. I would defitnely recommend this to anyone who's wanting to step into the tech industry.

• Kim • Video Producer • Student

I am on my second Skillcrush Blueprint - I did the Web Developer one and I'm now doing their Front End Developer Blueprint. I love how the courses are so upbeat and encourage you to keep you going. They take what might be seen as complicated topics and show you that you can do it. After doing a lesson I always feel like I've learned a lot without the frustration typical of other online coding courses. I think the pricing is great for what you get and I love being part of a community that starts and ends at the same time.

• Cathy Deane • Student

I enjoy doing Skillcrush interactive lessons. They are so easy to learn the steps and to learn the formulas. I am taking Front End Developer Blue Print. Which I didn't know anything about and Skillcrush is making it so easy to learn from A to Z. I will be also taking WordPress Blue Print. Can't wait, I want to get the best training out of both programs, so I can land that career I always wanted.

• Carlos Chico • Student

Skillcrush Review

Give Us Feedback On Your Experience With Skillcrush

Skillcrush 101, 102, 104: Html, Css, JavaScript, Command Line, Git, & *Ruby Programming.

Carlos M. Chico

Summary

Skillcrush provides its students an empowering and friendly experience while facilitating the advancement of students’ skills into tech in a very simple, interactive, and real-tech hands on experience. I came to Skillcrush with a failed fancy four-year university bachelors degree. The Skillcrush team went three x above my expectations. I do not feel like a muggle any more, but confident in the real-tech skills I earned, or at any rate acquired through the Skillcrush team. I recommend Skillcrush 100%.

Critique

Skillcrush tech skills and experience in a systems overview:

INPUT

OUTPUT

·      Real-Tech Skills

·      Confidence in Programming

·      -Beyond- Entry Level Tech Ready

My experience at Skillcrush has empowered me to build websites, write in html web pages, use CSS to make sites look better, develop programs with JavaScript, jQuery, apps with Ruby programming and ready for a career in tech. I am delighted to recommend Skillcrush!

• Thelma

I love that the lessons are broken down into simple chunks that are easily digestible. Lessons are simplified via the short videos that are fun and broken down for non-techy types. More advanced students might find these explanations too simplistic but I feel that learning should be accessible, especially for people who are looking to change careers and are possibly treading on uncharted territory.

The quizzes are a great way to reinforce learning. I found myself high-fiving myself with each one that I scored 100% and even 86%!

I do think that the Photoshop lesson should either be updated, expanded, or offered as its own standalone course. Perhaps it could included expanded lessons on wireframing. It definitely needs to be updated for Adobe CC, as it's the latest iteration of Adobe products.

Google Groups is a pain to use. It's visually confusing and not user-friendly. Maybe Slack or another alternative forum like a private Facebook Group would work better for group communications.

Despite Google Groups' shortcomings - IMO - I love that the instructors are open to being emailed via the official email. It's great knowing that there's someone who can answer a question as an alternative.

I highly recommend Skillcrush to anyone looking to get their feet wet or even leaving the kiddie pool for the deep end.