skillcrush-logo

Skillcrush

Skillcrush

Skillcrush is an online bootcamp that offers 12-week web design and web development courses called Skillcrush Blueprints. Wanting to teach students digital skills to kickstart their career, Skillcrush provides their "Blueprint," which is a step-by-step guide preparing students for the career they desire. Students engage in learning concrete technical skills while also creating a portfolio of real projects. These 3-month blueprints are online, but offer blocks of office hours, and access to classmates, instructors, and career coaches to create a structured learning environment.

Expect an email each morning with goals for the day, and students can choose times that work best to interact with mentors and other students. Classes do not require any programming experience, but students should be comfortable with computers and the web. Graduates can expect to cover UX Design, HTML/CSS, JavaScript, HTML/CSS, Wordpress, and Ruby.

Recent Skillcrush Reviews: Rating 4.82

all (336) reviews for Skillcrush →

Recent Skillcrush News

Read all (8) articles about Skillcrush →
  • Break Into Tech Blueprint

Did you look through our Blueprints and think “I want to learn it ALL”? The Break Into Tech Blueprint gives you exactly that. This course covers ALL of the lessons from our signature Blueprints and you’ll work with a career counselor to design a custom learning program to prepare you for an amazing and rewarding career. This one-of-a-kind digital skill training program will teach you all the core skills every aspiring technologist needs to know and make sure you’re set up for success in the flexible, creative, and lucrative career of your dreams.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $159 or one payment of $1599
    Refund / GuaranteeWe’re so confident that you will love this program that if you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase within 30 days, we will refund your money.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis blueprint is perfect for beginners with zero design or coding experience.
  • Digital Marketer Blueprint

Digital marketers spend their days understanding the needs of their target audience, translating business goals into creative online marketing campaigns, and staying on top of digital media trends. You'll learn Search Engine Optimization (SEO), social media, content, email marketing, paid ads, data analytics and reporting, and much more.
    Tuition PlansMake 3 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $549
    Minimum Skill LevelThis blueprint is perfect for beginners with zero coding experience. You just need to have a basic understanding of computers and be able to upload and download files.
  • Front End Developer Blueprint

Are you ready to tap into one of the fastest growing, highest paying, and most in-demand careers in tech? Are you tired of making less than everyone else at your company when you know you’re just as smart? Get the most lucrative and versatile digital skills out there in the Front End Developer Blueprint. You’ll learn how to build gorgeous, interactive websites that work perfectly on every device and mobile phone you can think of. With an explosive job market, killer salary, and tons of growth opportunities, front end development is one of the hottest jobs in tech!
    Tuition Plans3 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $549
  • Front End Developer + ReactJS Blueprint

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js
    OnlinePart Time
    Front end developers use HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (including libraries like React) to transform static website designs into rich, interactive, multimedia web experiences. ALL front end developers work in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, but they don’t all know React JS. And since React JS is quickly becoming one of the most in-demand front end development skills, knowing it will give you an important leg up in your job search!
    Tuition PlansMake 4 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $699
  • User Experience Design Blueprint

Design
    OnlinePart Time
    User experience designers are innovative explorers who research, improve, and test websites and apps. They create delightful digital experiences that keep people coming back for more. If you love figuring out how things work and what makes people tick, look no further than User Experience design—it’s the tech industry’s best-kept secret for career changers. You'll learn the exact tools and best practices that designers use to discover and then describe what their customers want, how to create a professional website prototype: a wireframe, user testing and iterating on your design, and more! By the end of this Blueprint, you’ll have completed a start-to-finish user experience design project
  • Visual Designer Blueprint

Visual designers are the graphic designers of the digital world we live in, and they play a crucial role in designing the online experiences we interact with every day. If you’re an imaginative, creative, visual person and love sketching, drawing, pairing colors, illustrating, and calligraphy (or you just have a history with coloring books and macaroni necklaces), you’re going to love working in visual design. This course will prepare you for a career designing sites, apps, or ANYTHING you see online—and give you the tools to communicate with the development teams who will bring your designs to life.
    Tuition PlansMake 3 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $549
    Minimum Skill LevelComfort with HTML & CSS is required for this course.
  • Web Designer Blueprint

HTML, Git, Design, CSS
    OnlinePart Time
    Web designers are innovative chameleons who also code the websites they design! As digital artisans who use multiple skills to bring their creations to life, they understand what’s needed to make a website functional, appealing, and easy to use. The good news is that web design is easy to learn and great for beginners. In this online course you will learn all of the skills you need to become a web designer.
  • Web Developer Blueprint

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Ruby
    OnlinePart Time
    Web developers solve problems every day by coding websites and web applications. Web developers are responsible for creating the web apps you use every day, from Gmail to Instagram! If you’re a builder AND love to solve problems with creative solutions, web development is right up your alley. Now you just need to learn the basic building blocks of the web and programming fundamentals! By the end of this Blueprint, you will have learned everything you need to create a hand-coded website and web application including HTML & CSS, JavaScript & jQuery, version control, programming fundamentals, and web application.
  • Wordpress Developer Blueprint

Git, PHP, Mobile, Wordpress
    OnlinePart Time
    WordPress developers have the most versatile skill set in the world: Approximately 60 million websites run on WordPress! This course will teach you the tools to build beautiful, functional, and totally unique websites—and start making serious money.
    Tuition PlansMake 3 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $549
    Minimum Skill LevelA solid understanding of HTML & CSS is required for this course.

Part way through the Skillcrush Ruby on Rails blueprint and would give a huge thumbs up!!

The course material is excellent and Skillcrush provide prompt, friendly support / advice to help you along! It's easy to engage with fellow students in the online forums and there are weekly live chats with tutors and students.

The blueprint is amazing value for money, not only do you get lifetime access to the course material but the Skillcrush team will always look to help you out if you fall behind for any reason.

The course seems to cater well for both novices and more experienced learners; if you're thinking about taking this (or any of the other Skillcrush) courses, I recommend you go for it!

• Web Design class
    - 4/27/2016
    Reuben Edwards • Graduate

Solid course I forgot a lot and you covered things and explain some details that help me out a lot.

• David • Student

I am extremely pleased with having decided to take this blueprint. As someone who is (was) not terribly tech saavy, I wanted to have more of a toehold in the world of web development and could not be more pleased. Skillcrush does a great job of laying out the big picture before diving into the details. Everyone is extremely freindly, and more than eager to help out.

I am excited to take more blueprints now that I got my feet wet, and am excited to explore their other offerings!

• Love Skillcrush!
    - 4/27/2016
    Ann • Graduate

Skillcrush’s WordPress Blueprint gave me the professional skills I needed to launch my new career. I chose Skillcrush over other free online resources chiefly because it offered an organized curriculum with real support. I was pleasantly surprised with the fun way in which the lessons were presented, with lots of beautiful supportive material - so that even if the course covered a lot of ground, it never felt overwhelming (or painfully dry!!). I came to appreciate the professional development aspect of the course as I developed a clearer vision of what freelance work consists of. The blueprint left me with a toolkit full of code I could use in real-world projects, as well as new pieces for my portfolio!

I was really impressed with the support I received during the course. I also collaborated with many fellow students, some of whom became regular study-buddies and then lasting friends. I was able to build a network of contacts, and feel confident and empowered as a woman who codes. Thanks in part to some great carreer tools and advice, I was able to promptly secure contracts towards the end of the blueprint and have been working as a freelancer ever since.

When the opportunity presented itself, I started working as a T.A., and now I can carry on promoting the peer-to-peer empowering culture that Skillcrush fosters. I continue to learn and grow my skillset in providing some of the support I had so appreciated when taking the class. I recommend Skillcrush to anyone looking for a foundation to transition towards a new code related career.

• Denise • Student

Okay, so I am not completely done with my first Skillcrush Web Design Blueprint but I this is my last week and I have to say, I am absolutely impressed with how easy it was to learn everything in such a way that was far from boring, hard or expensive.

This course is not only cost efficient but in the last month of the blueprint, it begins to pay itself off with your first job.  Did I mention this first job you take is done as a part of the last course and all while you have your classmates and instructor walking you through it, in case you have questions, concerns or need the confidence of having someone available in case the need arises.

Additionally, I am so impressed with the courses that I am signing up for the next blueprint and plan on taking them all.  The classes are so fun, user friendly and easy to learn that I am seriously debating taking 2  blueprints simultaneously!  This is really not bad for someone that has ADHD and has had serious trouble completing projects.

I love the programs so much that I have recommended many friends and even asked them about a referral fee (they don't do this)!  This is a great opportunity for full time employees that need additional ways to make ends meet, just want extra cash or simply need to get out of their current daily grind.

I was in an accident last year and had to go on disability and decided to take the course while I sat at home but will use this as a method of paying back all the credit card debt I incurred while on disability but I am not worried because I already have my first client and have a few more lined up waiting for me to get to them.  Yes, a waiting list before I finished the first blueprint!!!

You can work from home anytime of the day, get a part time job, better paying full time job, freelance opportunities via one time jobs -- you would be surprised how much people pay hourly or for one time projects.

I recommend this opportunity to everyone but especially the following:

1. Single parents

2. Unemployed

3. Underpaid

4. High school students and graduates

5. Stay at home parents

6. Anyone living paycheck to paycheck

7. Anyone that has a lot of debt

• Andrew Daley • Creative Director • Graduate

I have done the Web Designer, Web Developer and Wordpress Blueprints and all have been great investments. Just a couple weeks after completing these blueprints I was able confidently land my dream remote job as a Creative Director for a startup in South America.

The lessons are very clear and easy to follow and understand. All the resources and webinars helped to boost my confidence and believe that I was able to make this career chance. I feel more prepared and confident in this career that I have been persuing for just over 6 months than in the I.T job I had been doing for over 12 years.

• Lee Carter
    - 4/26/2016

Skillcrush helped me gain confidence in starting my journey to web development. I took the Web Development WordPress Freelance course and my eyes became open to a whole other world. They helped me realize where I can go with this and using my current skillset. I plan on going back for everything I need to learn going forward. It is worth every dime and the online environment is on point and equivalent to today's high tech scene.

I love Skillcrush!

Lee

• An amazing start
    Anonymous • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate

I love Skillcrush. I have taken the Web Developer blueprint and Wordpress blueprint, and I am now working full-time as a full stack web developer at a startup! Adda does a great job making complex subjects simple and easy to understand (seriously!). I was a complete beginner with absolutely no background in programming when I took the web dev blueprint, so it was a great introduction that made me feel more confident about tackling this career.

Also, the resources Skillcrush provides for you (cheat sheets, access to the lessons forever, charts, diagrams, etc.) is awesome. I'm a visual learner, so I found them really helpful.

I did do additional schooling elsewhere to really enhance my knowledge, so I do recommend this class just for beginners - although it would be awesome if Skillcrush introduced higher-level classes for students curious about more advanced topics.

My only suggestions are to use a different chat application. I never really got into using Mightybell, but something like Slack would have been great. Also, since I was working full-time during the course, it was harder to keep up, so I never took advantage of instructor help. It would be cool if they did a half-way checkin with each student to help personalize the experience.

Programming is a huge skill to have, so get started with Skillcrush! I recommend these blueprints to all of my friends.

• Ann Marie Santos • Student
    I'm enjoying this class and learning a lot. I would, and already have, recommend this course to others learning to code. The only struggle in having is the instructor is using a Mac and I'm working on a PC. So, some of the codes that are being presented, won't work on my PC. Everything else is great and, again I'm really having fun with this class......especially considering I'm attending classes in my pajamas LOL. Please, keep up the great work and I do plan on taking more courses in the future.
  • Cassie • Student

I'm currently taking the Web Designer blueprint with Skillcrush, and can honestly say I am beyond pleased with the course. In particular, I am pleased with the fact that this blueprint allows you learn about design and also a little bit of development - enough to allow you to be able to build a website on your own, which is really great if you're like me, and you struggled to decide between design and development in the first place!

The instructors are also so friendly and helpful - whenever I've had a question, be it course-related, or slightly more general, they have alway got back to me so quickly even despite the different time zones!

The lessons are completely comprehensive and engaging, and when you find yourself wondering what something means, or how to code/design something, you tend to get your answer as soon as you progress to the next lesson. Also the daily emails are really helpful as they give you a brief idea of what you'll be learning for the day, and of course, remind you to keep on track.

I love this course so much that I am already signed up to begin the WordPress course as soon as this one finishes, and I plan to continue my learning with Skillcrush even after that, so I can become a freelance designer/developer - something which now feels entirely achievable with Skillcrush's help, and I've not even finished my first course yet!

• Very happy!
    Kristina Thornton • Student

I took the Web Designer Blueprint from Skillcrush and found myself whisked gracefully away into the world of tech without ever once feeling belittled or intimidated or stupid, which had been a fear of mine as someone new in the field at the age of 33.

Unfortunately, my day job required an unrelated urgent recertification course which has gotten in the way of actually taking some web design jobs on the side, but I can't wait to put my Skillcrush knowledge to (money-making) use.

This is certainly a boot camp I'd recommend especially to people with little to no background knowledge. The only issue I had was with the associated forum in Mightybell which I found hard to navigate and would have liked to have a very clear sitemap on every page with post headings. Otherwise the daily email system is extremely helpful and the lessons are broken down into perfectly bite-sized chunks. And I love the injected personality!

Thanks, Skillcrush!

I am taking the Web Development blueprint and I am a newbie at coding.  I am changing careers and chose Skillcrush to do this.  I like the curriculum, it is broken into pieces.  I like the videos and Adda is so encouraging.  I would suggest that it is broken into even smaller pieces.  Sometimes it seems that they take big leaps from one challenge to the next.  smaller projects building to a larger one would be nice. Sometimes I need baby steps.   I understand that I should research to try to understand but sometimes I am spending alot of time doing that and then I get behind.  I have skipped a couple of challenges just to stay pretty up to date and then go back later to work on them.  They explain things really well, because this is new to me sometimes a basic thing to them is lost on me.  I have learned alot and its amazing to back to some of the beginning classes and they seem easy now.  It is a great way to learn to code and I would recommend it to anyone!

• Web Design
    - 4/26/2016

I like Skillcrush a lot. It's very well organized and you learn a lot on a daily basis.

You receive an email every morning telling you what to learn, showing you videos and online docs to read and explore. At the end of each lesson there's some practice and a quizz to check every thing out.

You're part of a community and able to ask any question you may have. Teachers and mentors are very reactive, positive and know how to keep up with your motivation.

Some days I spend much more time than initially announced though + there's some reading on top of the lesson. but you want to learn as much as possible, right ? so you have to keep up with the rythm and read all those things and more if possible ( ok I'm 50 so maybe slower than other younger students... + I'm French and not totally fluent so i need to read some parts twice to be sure I really understand everything.)

I would appreciate more exercises, more practise.

I am globally very satisfied even if , for the time being ( 2nd month of the Web Deigner programe) I clearly have no idea if it will really be enough to start a new career.

I intend to go on with the next class anyway...

• Heather • Technical Team Lead • Graduate

I had worked in a tech environment when I was in graduate school, but I felt like I was floundering and didn't have the skills I needed to persue a career in tech.

Skillcrush helped me dust off my rusty skills and build the framework for new ones. I enjoyed the coursework and the challenges therein. Sometimes I felt that the directions for the exercises were incomplete. A new version of 101 has been posted that cleared up these issues.

Overall, I really enjoyed the courses and feel like I got a lot out of the courses. They definitely helped me learn new skills and improve my confidence as a technical professional.

• Liz • Graduate
    The instructors are amazing and the community is very supportive. I learned so much during the blueprint and am looking forward to pursuing a career in web development.
  • Sandy H. • Student

I happen to LOVE Skillcrush!! I have taken a couple different Blueprints and have found them enjoyable, well-rounded and pretty thorough. They are probably not going to teach you every possible facet of each subject, but they do try to touch on some of the major aspect of that particular course...whether it is Web Development or Ruby on Rails or whatever. I think they do a good job of incorporating the various 'tools of the trade', whether that is GitHub or Photoshop etc. My computer skills all come from being self-taught...so for me, the fact that they try to lead you to ask the right questions and how to search for solutions rather than spoon feeding you the answer is good. Of course, sometimes, learning is hard and frustrating...but knowing how and where to look for help I think is a great skill on its own! And in my experience, communication with Skillcrush has been great. There is a Skillcrush community as well, which is nice...granted, that community only works when others use it, which I do not believe is the fault of Skillcrush. I am sure there is room for improvements....and from my experience, I do think Skillcrush is continuing to find ways to improve...so I can only assume they will get even better with time.

If you want tech skills, you can't beat Skillcrush. They offer several different options, from single classes to sequential courses (called "Blueprints"), so you can decide the best choice for your career goals.

The lessons are clear, easy to follow, and fun. Adda is perfect for the video lessons. She really explains the concepts well. She also has a fun personality. The instructors and assistants are wonderful at answering questions. They look at your code, so they can guide you if it's off.

What I love most about Skillcrush is the people. Everyone I've talked with has been incredibly supportive. I got behind in my Blueprint, but it wasn't a big deal. They answered my questions and were very encouraging. I recently finished my first Blueprint and I'm on to another.

Whether you're looking to get basic tech skills for your current job or, like me, change careers, I can't recommend Skillcrush enough. I do suggest getting some of the books that they recommend, specifically the Jon Duckett for the Javascript & jQuery class. I needed both the lessons and the book.

• Sarah Eggers • Marketing Specialist, Web Designer • Student

I enrolled in the Skillcrush Web Design Blueprint back in November of 2014, and it opened up a world of possibility to me. The learning modules gave us hands-on experience in learnable chunks of content, and the instructor and classroom help was top notch!  And before I knew it, I was coding up static and mobile sites! (Read my blog post review of it!)

I loved my Skillcrush experience so much I became a repeat customer. Later in 2015, I took the Freelance WP Developer Blueprint.  During that class, I built my first WP site and decided to make my client services public. Since then I've had small and larger clients and have a great side hustle going alongside a day job I love.

Prior to signing up for Skillcrush's Web Development Blueprint, I'd taken a few courses on Codecademy and Code School, along with knowing basic coding needed for customizing Tumblr/Myspace/ Livejournal back in the day. I already had a pretty good hang of HTML/CSS and breezed through a month's worth of lessons in a week or two. When it came time to actually learn something new, I found Skillcrush's videos and lessons lacking in information, definitely not enough to make me a skilled web coder. While I appreciated the TA's and other women in the community, asking the TA a question only to be presented with a bunch of Google links without any proper answer just made me angry. Thanks, but I don't need to pay $400 to Google coding questions, I'm paying these people at Skillcrush (whom are supposed to be knowledgeable of the topics) to help me!

As others have said, the Mighty Bell platform they use for communications is horribly organized and hard to follow. Often times recent postings or important postings would be lost on the page. I was so happy to be done with it.

Needless to say, I ended up getting a refund. You're better off using free resources.

• Anonymous • Digital Marketing Specialist

Just do CodeAcademy. It's free and you can now get support for $20 a month.

This course started out okay for me but if you need techinical help, like with your account it takes DAYS for anyone to back to you. The actual interface that they use for you to do challenges in all parts of the course are messy and confusing.

The lessons themselves aren't explained very well, especially the Javascript portion. I got through the css and html okay but I pretty much had to drop out when it got to the Javascript (which I am now learning using other programs and books).

They also spent way too much time on fluffy stuff like how to use photoshop which, sorry but that's not what I signed up for. They spend a whole week on design and typography, which I do think is important but not as important as learning CODING which is what the course is supposed to be for. They even go over color theory before they freaking teach you how to code!

I mean sure, teach design, but at least wait until your students can actually make a website first! This is also super irritating for me because I actually have a bachelors in fine art and have taken typography, color theory and design classes already. Such a waste of my time and $!

It reminds me of a photoshop professor I had who would always say, " I am just here to teach you how this program works, I cannot give you creative talent, I cannot make you an artist".

They needed to focus more time on the coding. They should teach design separately. It's true that everyone can learn to code but not everyone is going to be good at design! They make you think that anyone can be a great designer after taking a three month course.

Can you learn to code in three months? Yeah. Does that automatically mean you will be a talented web DESIGNER? Hell No! Sorry, I worked really hard to put myself through a fine art school so that really gets my goat.

They push a lot of their favorite products, without mentioning that you don't have to actually use those products.

It was too easy for the first couple of weeks and then when I got to the Javascript part it was overly confusing. And I can't stress enough how messy the interface is.

Also, I signed up for the mobile web design course by accident and made it a few weeks into the course before realizing I needed to know HTML and CSS first. They did switch me but it did take at least a week for anyone to respond to my questions.

I learned how to use GIT during that time which is cool and was easy enough to understand. But during that course they definitely favor Mac over PC. And that sucks because when you are using Command-line interface to program,Mac and Pc don't work in the same way. All of the examples and videos show someone working on a Mac and they don't show examples of what it looks like on PC. For some of the excercises they mention how the two differ, but most of the time they are just like " this is different when you do it on a PC, sorry!".

I now realize that there are so many FREE options that are much more intuitive and easy to understand than Skill Crush for learning html, css, javascript and any other programming languages that you don't really need to spend $350 on a Skill Crush course.

All of the paid programs that they suggest that you use have a million other alternatives.

I like the community part of it where you can interact with other users but that's pretty much it.

I signed up for the Ruby on Rails blueprint eager to learn. Adda has a great personality and I enjoy her short videos.

However, my overall experience has been frustrating. It can take more than 48 hours to receive a response to a question (if at all). Daily lessons are emailed and students are encouraged to communicate  and post their work in Mightybell. For the past several classes I am the only student posting to Mightybell.  There is rarely any feedback and I've spent most of my time supplementing with outside videos and tutorials.

After a couple days of not being able to proceed, I sent an email requesting a refund unless someone could respond to my questions. In this case I received a friendly response from a TA.

If you get stuck in a class and are not able to proceed you can expect to remain stuck unless you ask for a refund.

Skillcrush has the potential to be great but unfortunatley they fall short on offering basic support.

It is pretty much a $400 roadmap to follow on your own.

• Camie • Graduate

This online course consists of videos, reading materials, beautiful hand-outs and cheat sheets, and hands-on coding, and research links. The course (aka Blueprint) is divided into three sections. The course begins wiith learning the Ruby language using the terminal. The next month brings Ruby to the web, using Sinatra, Active Record, and Postgresql db. Test-driven development is introduced, along with more Ruby gems. The apps are deployed to Heroku. In the final month students use Rails to build a test-driven, complex web app. More gems are use and organized into dev and test. Quizzes are given after each module to help solidify your knowledge. Adda's positive, querky personality make learning fun. Her encouragement gets you through the times when you feel overwhelmed or frustrated.

In addition to the above, there is an instructor with office hours each week where you can ask questions, get help, and share your code using Google Hangouts. Those are very helpful. The instructor also responds to email, but sometimes real-time dialog is what you need to explain a problem. There is also an online forum, MightyBell, where students post accomplishments or questions. This is helpful when other students are participating.

• Ruby on Rails
    - 12/21/2015
    Becky Bair • Student

I love this class - very helpful and informative for learning the basics of Ruby and Ruby on Rails.  I would recommend this class to anyone!