skillcrush-logo

Skillcrush

Skillcrush

Skillcrush is a woman-owned, independent, online coding & design school founded in 2012. Skillcrush offers both free and paid programs, including the self-paced Break Into Tech + Job Guarantee program, which prepares students for entry-level positions in front end development and design. Skillcrush is on a mission to empower career changers — with a special focus on women and BIPOC — with the technical skills they need to transition into higher-earning, more fulfilling and flexible careers in tech.

Students who enroll in the Break Into Tech program will have access to both the Front End Developer and Designer career tracks. The curriculum covers HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, Github, visual design fundamentals, and more. Once students complete the technical skill building portion of the Break Into Tech (about 16-20 weeks), they receive 180 days of hands-on job search support including 1-on-1 and group coaching, and the opportunity to interview with Skillcrush employer partners.

Skillcrush is an open enrollment school, so no application is necessary. Skillcrush has trained over 20,000 students, and has an over 90% success rate of placing students in qualified jobs with an average time to get hired of 8-10 weeks.

Skillcrush offers tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. Skillcrush encourages students to email hello@skillcrush.com to discuss payment options.

Recent Skillcrush Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (412) reviews for Skillcrush →

Recent Skillcrush News

Read all (10) articles about Skillcrush →
  • (1) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Front End Developer Track

Our Front End Developer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero coding knowledge to being a job ready front end developer with skills in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, and React with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499
    Refund / GuaranteeJob Guarantee: Full refund if you have not received a "qualified" job offer within 180 days of starting your job search. Satisfaction (No Regrets!) Guarantee: If you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase within 14 days, we will refund your money.
    ScholarshipWe offer tuition assistance for people who are unemployed, full-time students, and current or former military service members. If any of these describe you, we encourage you to email hello@skillcrush.com to ask if you qualify.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for beginners with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • (2) Break Into Tech Program + Job Guarantee: Designer Track

HTML, Design, CSS
    OnlinePart Time
    Our Designer course is an online, self-paced, comprehensive job training program that includes 180 days of career support and is backed by our job guarantee. In as little as three months, you’ll go from zero design knowledge to being a job ready designer with skills in web and visual design fundamentals, branding and identity design, and HTML and CSS with our accessible, fun, and expertly designed coursework — which includes tons of real-world practice and 1-on-1 instructor support and mentorship. Once you’re job ready, you’ll enter our program’s Get Hired portion, where you’ll receive 180 days of job search support, including 1-on-1 coaching on your resume, portfolio, and interviewing skills. You’ll also learn our unusual — but extremely effective — job search strategy, attend weekly group coaching and communicate with your career coaches and fellow job seekers via Slack and email, and have the opportunity to talk to Skillcrush employer hiring partners. We’re so confident in our process that we'll fully refund your entire program fee if you haven’t received a qualified offer within 180 days of starting your job search.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $229 or one payment of $2499.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis program is perfect for career changes with zero design or coding experience.
    Prep WorkNone
  • Rachel Parker • Student
    Amazing classes and they are there for you every step of the way.
  • Tech Buffet
    - 1/9/2021
    L C • Student
    I went into Skillcrush Break Into Tech course thinking I would be a web developer, but now that I've made it through a few courses, and took a peek inside others, I really believe that I'll be a digital marketer who can also build websites. I love that their courses allow you to truly learn and discover what you are most interested in and where your skills can really blossom.

The courses are thorough and empowering and I love that help is just a message away. Everyone I talk to on the platform is enthusiastic and helpful, and I just can't help but feel like learning tech (even for a complete newbie) is actually fun!

Yes, you can learn tech for a lot cheaper elsewhere. you can even piece together YouTube videos and blogs to find the info for free, but there is absolutely no substitution in my book for the helpful and knowledgeable staff and their accessible approach to learning some otherwise seemingly hairy scary topics.
    - 1/9/2021
    Naima Fleming • Student
    The UX Design Blueprint course has been an invaluable experience. Each module is explained clearly, and the instructors are available to provide assistance whether I have a question, or if a critique is needed. Although I have not completed the course as of yet, I’m confident that I will be able to utilize my new skills for my own projects, as well as for career growth.
  • Jessenia Lorenzo • Student
    I started the last week of December. I'm weary of working in healthcare, so much I plan to do the most that I can to finish my classes to get a job in design. I love it. Not because I want out of healthcare, but because it's attractive, the learning platform, the community of help from the teachers, from everybody. They're all so nice, and you can tell Skillcrush is not only wonderful for students, but employees. I got help throughout the holidays! I was stuck, for what a realize the puniest reasons, in html and css, yet everyone helped me. I felt like giving up at one point. They told me, no! I could do it, and encouraged me so much. They are family vibes. They feel like family. When I go on there to study, every time I watch those videos, I feel happy, I understand, I have NO questions. I love forward, I keep going. Their courses are AMAZING. I have nothing negative to say about them. I'm in awe with the curriculum, their "cheatsheets", everything. I can't wait to learning everything. I stayed development, but I felt design would be the faster way to finish, plus I actually love it more for now. However, my intention is to do every. Single. One. Of. The. Classes. Yes, they also gave me the discount. Would it not have been for that, I wouldn't have been able to do it foraa month of two more. These times are crucial to take advantage and do a lot with your life. I was able to grab ONE paycheck, and invest in this opportunity. I bought break thru package and the add-on classes that included python, and like 5 more. Listen, this school, is amazing. I am ecstatic that I found it. Phew! Okay, I'm done. Good luck everyone!!!!
  • Kerie • Student
    I stumbled upon Skillcrush by accident and decided to complete their coding camp as I'd always been curious about coding.  It was so well informed and a lot of fun I decided to take the chance and enroll in their Break into Tech.  I've already completed the visual design modules and now am starting with HTML.  Everything is spelled out so incredibly well that anyone can do the course and everyone will succeed.  So much support and incredibly helpful feedback.
  • Jasmine • Student
    I found Skillcrush online on a whim! I am so HAPPY that I did. Skill Crush has given me confidence to tackle a whole new career in Tech!!. The whole Skillcrush community is amazing. The TA's are always there to assist with guidance and tips. The Curriculum is fun and engaging. I highly recommend this course, if you want to get your feet wet into Tech!!
  • James • Graduate
    I joined Skillcrush in 2018 on the promise that with the online courses I would be able to get a job in Tech. I spent $1,500 and... The soft skills taught in this program are NOT employable skills if you want a ‘good job’.  I did learn how to build a website and some coding..BUT, this did NOT open any doors. I am now back to University as a Computer Science Major and am now learning ‘real skills’ that ARE employable.  Don’t be fooled by the hype.  Skillcrush is not worth it!
  • Unfairly Executed • Student

If you are a man and you want to learn coding I promise you there are other places you could go that are much better than this joke of a coding school. They claim they are a coding school with a heart but that is all a bunch of {redacted}.  They banned me for life for a misunderstanding without even trying to understand my culture or me as a person, They branded me and then banned me. Even after I apologized. The crazed feminist culture in that company is stifling. If you do decide to join skillcrush and you are a man keep your head completely down and know that if you make the female overlords unhappy they will destroy you under the false pretense of doing it "for the best" The courses were ok but if you ask me not worth the money at all you could certainly get the same information online on Udemy or Udacity or other great sites like Treehouse or Pluralsight. Yes, you get feedback from teachers via email or via slack but that again is a dangerous thing if you are a man, This company is terrible and with directors like {name redacted} and {name redacted} you would do better finding a much better- more positive company. The company lies, they are not a coding school with a heart, they are just a coding school with a heart for women only.

• Tannie Duong • Visual Designer • Student

I went into this course closing my eyes and falling through. They seemed genuine and honest in their first marketing pitch I saw back in the end of 2017, and beginning of 2018. I remember there was quite a bit promised; if there was one thing that the marketing did, it promised a slew of tech pathway courses that would help you become a "full stack developer," but I think the Break Into Tech Blueprint Course that was offered is geared a lot more towards front-end development. I didn't quite understand the terms very well when I first started, but have since decided on a particular pathway now that I'm near completion.

My experience with this online schooling program has been very positive. In hindsight, you really get a whole lot for less than $2000 grand; I went to 6 year private art university and haven't felt nearly as prepared to find work as this course. That said, my learning was a supplement for my current degree, in which I want to evolve it into another career pathway. Without what I learned in my previous school, everything would have been much more time consuming.

What I can say is that online schooling is very different from a hands-on classroom -- there are instructors ready to help you with any questions you may have, but sometimes, its hard to just learn on your own. Some people thrive, this way, and some others do not. If you have trouble through the silent moments when you have no one to talk to, any online schooling program is not for you. Despite not having a real time instructor, this forced me on many occasions to problem-solve solutions for myself; which is actually a valuable skill to have in any job application, and probably a big part of being in any kind of tech development job. To sum this up, it's incredibly frustrating to feel alone while you're learning this way (and you're not always alone, there's a slack community of students, alums, and teachers), but actually, the reward is well-worth the madness sometimes.

For my time spent on this course, I learned a great deal about HTML/CSS core principles, basic Javascript to get me through the door, and a better graphic/visual design arsenal geared towards web design/development. Well, worth the time and money I put in.

Highly recommended.

• Steven • Student

This is my first time taking an online course of any kind and the thought was pretty daunting. However, all the videos, resources and immediate feedback from questions has been incredible so far. It's been fairly easy to learn with the bite sized chunks they give you. And what's great is if you take a break and come back, it's very easy to give yourself a quick refresher since the videos are only about 5mins long. While I'm still in the first phase, I think this course is incredibly worth it. The only downside is the extra software you will have to purchase in order to complete the assignments. But, I think it's better than doing a course at a university in my opinion. Looking forward to learning more about coding and overall web development along with an eventual specialized interest in in UX design.

• Jo Hartenberger • Student

I’ve been a graphic designer for years, but only began to consider the coding side of things because of three priorities:  1) I want to be challenged to learn more and grow in my career(there’s a limit to print design, and it has only a few dimensions!), 2) work from home with my daughter, 3) and make better freaking money!!

I should have done this ages ago and tried other courses like Lynda.com, YouTube tutorials, websites with information... But look guys - there’s a shit ton of info on how to hack sites and create websites, how am I supposed to know what I don’t know and find what I need in what is actually overwhelming not for the technicalities, but because a lot of guys actually veil the knowledge to make it less approachable. Plus, retaining a new language takes practice, projects, quizzing, reiteration, and a whole heck of encouragement when you get stuck!

ENTER SKILLCRUSH. Imagine a course with experts there to guide you to the next thing you need to do, give you the RIGHT way to do things, and then, they go and make it FUN AND BEAUTIFUL!!! Is this too good to be true? Googling things is cool and all, but I personally lose so much steam when I have to sort thru crappy sites and poor information that may not even be right, but how do you know? And I need to get there FASTER! My sweet kiddo is changing every day and I’m missing out big time on all of the fun moments that happen when I’m not there. Efficient, beautiful, fun, and just dern approachable, skillcrush is totally flippin’ awesome. Oh! And guys! They have a whole team or amazing, upbeat, go-getting coaches who are there to help down to the freaking interview process?!?!?!

Im so thankful Adda got fired from her job so that she created this amazing empire of women coders - it’s a cool story you all should check out:) SHE’S a Phoenix!!!