skillcrush-logo

Skillcrush

Skillcrush

Skillcrush is an online bootcamp that offers 12-week web design and web development courses called Skillcrush Blueprints. Wanting to teach students digital skills to kickstart their career, Skillcrush provides their "Blueprint," which is a step-by-step guide preparing students for the career they desire. Students engage in learning concrete technical skills while also creating a portfolio of real projects. These 3-month blueprints are online, but offer blocks of office hours, and access to classmates, instructors, and career coaches to create a structured learning environment.

Expect an email each morning with goals for the day, and students can choose times that work best to interact with mentors and other students. Classes do not require any programming experience, but students should be comfortable with computers and the web. Graduates can expect to cover UX Design, HTML/CSS, JavaScript, HTML/CSS, Wordpress, and Ruby.

Recent Skillcrush Reviews: Rating 4.79

all (394) reviews for Skillcrush →

Recent Skillcrush News

Read all (10) articles about Skillcrush →
  • Break Into Tech Blueprint

Did you look through our Blueprints and think “I want to learn it ALL”? The Break Into Tech Blueprint gives you exactly that. This course covers ALL of the lessons from our signature Blueprints and you’ll work with a career counselor to design a custom learning program to prepare you for an amazing and rewarding career. This one-of-a-kind digital skill training program will teach you all the core skills every aspiring technologist needs to know and make sure you’re set up for success in the flexible, creative, and lucrative career of your dreams.
    Tuition PlansMake 12 monthly payments of $159 or one payment of $1599
    Refund / GuaranteeWe’re so confident that you will love this program that if you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase within 30 days, we will refund your money.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis blueprint is perfect for beginners with zero design or coding experience.
  • Digital Marketer Blueprint

Digital marketers spend their days understanding the needs of their target audience, translating business goals into creative online marketing campaigns, and staying on top of digital media trends. You'll learn Search Engine Optimization (SEO), social media, content, email marketing, paid ads, data analytics and reporting, and much more.
    Tuition PlansMake 3 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $549
    Minimum Skill LevelThis blueprint is perfect for beginners with zero coding experience. You just need to have a basic understanding of computers and be able to upload and download files.
  • Front End Developer Blueprint

Are you ready to tap into one of the fastest growing, highest paying, and most in-demand careers in tech? Are you tired of making less than everyone else at your company when you know you’re just as smart? Get the most lucrative and versatile digital skills out there in the Front End Developer Blueprint. You’ll learn how to build gorgeous, interactive websites that work perfectly on every device and mobile phone you can think of. With an explosive job market, killer salary, and tons of growth opportunities, front end development is one of the hottest jobs in tech!
    Tuition Plans3 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $549
  • Front End Developer + ReactJS Blueprint

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, React.js
    OnlinePart Time
    Front end developers use HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (including libraries like React) to transform static website designs into rich, interactive, multimedia web experiences. ALL front end developers work in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, but they don’t all know React JS. And since React JS is quickly becoming one of the most in-demand front end development skills, knowing it will give you an important leg up in your job search!
    Tuition PlansMake 4 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $699
  • User Experience Design Blueprint

Design
    OnlinePart Time
    User experience designers are innovative explorers who research, improve, and test websites and apps. They create delightful digital experiences that keep people coming back for more. If you love figuring out how things work and what makes people tick, look no further than User Experience design—it’s the tech industry’s best-kept secret for career changers. You'll learn the exact tools and best practices that designers use to discover and then describe what their customers want, how to create a professional website prototype: a wireframe, user testing and iterating on your design, and more! By the end of this Blueprint, you’ll have completed a start-to-finish user experience design project
  • Visual Designer Blueprint

Visual designers are the graphic designers of the digital world we live in, and they play a crucial role in designing the online experiences we interact with every day. If you’re an imaginative, creative, visual person and love sketching, drawing, pairing colors, illustrating, and calligraphy (or you just have a history with coloring books and macaroni necklaces), you’re going to love working in visual design. This course will prepare you for a career designing sites, apps, or ANYTHING you see online—and give you the tools to communicate with the development teams who will bring your designs to life.
    Tuition PlansMake 3 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $549
    Minimum Skill LevelComfort with HTML & CSS is required for this course.
  • Web Designer Blueprint

CSS, Design, Git, HTML
    OnlinePart Time
    Web designers are innovative chameleons who also code the websites they design! As digital artisans who use multiple skills to bring their creations to life, they understand what’s needed to make a website functional, appealing, and easy to use. The good news is that web design is easy to learn and great for beginners. In this online course you will learn all of the skills you need to become a web designer.
  • Web Developer Blueprint

CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Ruby
    OnlinePart Time
    Web developers solve problems every day by coding websites and web applications. Web developers are responsible for creating the web apps you use every day, from Gmail to Instagram! If you’re a builder AND love to solve problems with creative solutions, web development is right up your alley. Now you just need to learn the basic building blocks of the web and programming fundamentals! By the end of this Blueprint, you will have learned everything you need to create a hand-coded website and web application including HTML & CSS, JavaScript & jQuery, version control, programming fundamentals, and web application.
  • Wordpress Developer Blueprint

Git, Mobile, PHP, Wordpress
    OnlinePart Time
    WordPress developers have the most versatile skill set in the world: Approximately 60 million websites run on WordPress! This course will teach you the tools to build beautiful, functional, and totally unique websites—and start making serious money.
    Tuition PlansMake 3 monthly payments of $199 or one payment of $549
    Minimum Skill LevelA solid understanding of HTML & CSS is required for this course.
  • Zoe Zuniga  User Photo
    Zoe Zuniga • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I signed up for some coding camps back in 2006 and got through part of the WordPress course but got intimidated. I finally came back to Skillcrush this year and completed the first course in the series on HTML and CSS. All my coursework was still there waiting for me in new improved formats. I had originally signed up for front-end development with the WordPress module and the design section. It was great to be back and get started again and found it much easier this time since I was already familiar with coding. Now that they have the Job assistance program I am planning to start that in 6 months once my skills have come along.
  • Daniel Crowe   User Photo
    Daniel Crowe • Student Verified via GitHub
    Skillcrush has been fantastic from day 1! Their instructors do a great job of not only explaining what you are learning but why you are learning it. Skillcrush does an amazing job of providing information about each lesson as well as providing examples of each lesson. Each lesson is set up for the student to interact with the lesson material and engage in hands on learning before moving on to the next subject material.  The one thing that sets Skillcrush apart from the other online courses is their ability to help you along the way if you get stuck on a lesson.  They are very fast at responding to your questions as most of my questions were answered the same day. They do an excellent job of encouraging the student to use the skills they have learned to help solve the issue they are stuck on. I recommend skillcrush to anybody who is seeking any kind of career in the tech field, but doesn't have any prior knowledge or work history in the tech field!
  • Caitlin M.  User Photo
    Caitlin M. • Web Developer • Verified via LinkedIn
    I took my first class at Skillcrush just under a year ago, and today I am working full time, remote, at a great little design and development agency.  I am SO glad I took the plunge and signed up for Skillcrush! (I did the "break into tech" package, which is the comprehensive all in one, and also includes the career prep class.)

Prior to Skillcrush, I spent a few months trying out classes at Codecademy and Coursera (some free and some paid), but never quite gained traction with those.

For me, what really set Skillcrush apart was:
    - they're truly beginner friendly: this means it's okay to know NOTHING about code on day one, and still make meaningful progress.  It also means they walk you through setting up local development environments and publishing real websites on the real internet.  I couldn't quite get those things going in my previous courses at other places, but Skillcrush had just the right mix of super clear instruction, encouragement, and helpful teachers...and then down the line, I had more confidence to tackle new things on my own.
    - it's fun: the classes are a nice mix of videos, reading, projects, and the topics and the way they present it is entertaining.
    - they're super-focused on the daily skills of web development: collaborating on GitHub, doing a thorough QA (quality assurance) on your project before publishing, searching the internet for bug fixes...these are all core to my current job, and all things that I learned at Skillcrush.
    - instructors (and fellow students!) are helpful and kind:  the internet is not always the friendliest place, and that can include "support" forums on the internet.  And at the cheaper monthly-fee coding schools like Codecademy, there just isn't the number of staff to provide a lot of support.  At Skillcrush, there is a super-positive and very quick to respond community of instructors and classmates on Slack.  (And importantly, they're much more likely to point you in the direction of answer, not just tell you the answer.)
    - their career support is AWESOME: the classes on job readiness, and the personalized support during your job search, are amazing.  Like there is a whole class just on this! And during the class you get individual feedback on your resume, your LinkedIn, interview prep, mock interviews, negotiation techniques, weekly check-ins with career counselors and other students - honestly this aspect alone could be worth the price of admission.

And, they have an express mission of bringing more women and BIPOC folks into the tech world, which is something I can really get behind.

I think the only reasons not to pick Skillcrush would be if you'd rather (and have the time for) a more condensed, full time bootcamp experience.  Or if you are set on a particular field in tech that is outside web design and development -- say lots of back end, or data science, or something else.

All in all, a great coding school and a community I'm so happy I found!
  • Miriam  User Photo
    Miriam • Student Verified via GitHub
    I'm one third into the Front End Developer + React course and I love it. The courses are subdivided into lessons. Each lesson teaches a topic and includes an instruction video, a written summary of the information and tasks that allow you to apply your new skills to a practical project. At the end of the lesson you review the most important information in form of a quiz.
    I had no previous experience in tech before I started this course and I have to say that I do not regret the investment one bit. The entire curriculum is just so well-built that it is easy to keep going, despite doubts and minor frustrations. I particularly like the fun GIFs and the encouraging language all throughout the course. The Skillcrush community in Slack is also friendly and being able to share problems and successes is very motivating.

• Angela  User Photo
    Angela • Student Verified via GitHub
    I signed up for the Break Into Tech blueprint a few months ago and have enjoyed it so far. Right now I'm working through the Front End Developer section and have completed both the HTML/CSS and Git/Github courses. I like the way Skillcrush stages their instruction so that they introduce new topics bit by bit and slowly have you practice them on your own to get confident with the topic. This is a self paced course so you do have to stay on top of it and make sure you take the time to work on it, or you won't get anywhere.

For this tech newbie, I find the instructional method very helpful and effective. This particular blueprint includes 1-on-1 meetings with Skillcrush advisors and job training courses as well for those who want extra support. I have had one advisor meeting so far and will probably sign up for another soon.

I really enjoy the active Slack community. Fellow Skillcrushers are very kind and helpful, and one instructor in particular, Lisa, is always willing to jump in when you get stuck. She's great! (They all are, I've just noticed that she goes above and beyond.)

One thing I must note is that when I send in feedback challenges, I sometimes write a message to the instructors about how the topic was confusing or difficult, etc, and I get a generic response back (ie. Great job!) I would appreciate a more personalized response in those cases, especially when I mention that I was confused about something.

Overall I'm happy with my decision to start learning with Skillcrush. I'm not sure I see a full time web developer career in my future, but having some skills in this area definitely won't hurt my resume. I look forward to tackling the Responsive Web Design and WordPress courses.

Thank you Skillcrush!

• Sarah Keha  User Photo
    Sarah Keha • Student Verified via GitHub
    I am on my way to becoming a fullstack developer and I am so happy I choose skillcrush. When I was looking for a place to learn, the most important part was having a teacher to talk to individually incase I got stuck. I am so happy with skillcrush because their responses are so quick and respectful. They even have live zoom chats that have helped immensely! I am so excited to keep chuggin away and I know they have my back to get me to my dream of web developing!
  • Hui Chieh J.  User Photo
    Hui Chieh J. • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I'm glad I gave Skillcrush a chance when I decided to pursue a career change into tech. I'm currently taking the Break Into Tech - Front End Developer fast track. Skillcrush lessons are self paced but without deadlines for assignments, plus you get feedback from Instructors and TAs in a timely manner. I absolutely love the community support from like-minded people who are also looking for a career change. It's never too late for anyone to do something different. You don't need a background in computer science to get started. You begin with the basics and are given exercises to try after each lesson. It's been lots of fun learning to code. I would highly recommend Skillcrush if you're looking to get into tech.
  • Shannon Fassett  User Photo
    Shannon Fassett • Financial Sales • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Hello!
    Skillcrush has provided me the opportunity to learn at my own pace and the instructors respond to my every email question within minutes!  The instructors are inspirational, positive, and communicate in an easy-to-understand manner.  This is an excellent platform to learn and they provide career guidance.  So far I am having fun learning, and I look forward to getting my first job in tech very soon, with their help of course!!

Shannon Fassett
  • Embarrassed
    - 4/24/2021
    Axel Jorgensen  User Photo
    Axel Jorgensen • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I am absolutely embarrassed that I not only made this purchase but initially gave this course such a high review. This is a bare bones dip in the shallow end of front end web development. This will not get your anywhere close to being ready for a real web development position. Their react section was an atrocious joke. The javascript here is nothing but a taste test of the absolute basics. Once you complete the course they basically tell you to start looking for freelance positions after you've had your hand held through a few really simple projects. You will feel lost and feeble in your abilities. I went to codecademy afterwards and even after getting through the ENTIRE front end engineering course I am still probably a small ways away from landing a career worthy job. Unless you have a sizeable chunk of money to burn and you want your hand held through the absolute basics this course is absolutely not worth it. The only face to face I had with an instructor was with someone who didnt give me any real direction and just affirmed that I was doing well with their course. it was a joke.
  • Victoria F.  User Photo
    Victoria F. • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    If your life situation is a little less than conventional (and whose isn't, right now? Hello, 2021! 🤣) but you know in your bones that you need to start putting in the work to switch careers like, yesterday, Skillcrush is an excellent place to begin. I'm a current student taking the Break into Tech course, with a focus on front-end development. I don't have the time or resources to attend a in-person bootcamp or traditional school-I researched these options before discovering Skillcrush! What I *do* have? An hour or two a day to start gradually learning and building my tech skills! Skillcrush is structured beautifully to deliver the information and practice I need, in bite-sized baby steps! You are encouraged to learn how to tackle problems or bugs on your own (real-world life skills!), but are never, ever left out in the cold-there's an active, supportive Slack community of fellow students and alums, Instructors that are easy to reach out to...I seriously look forward to my 2 "Skillcrush" hours every day, now! And I'm gradually building a portfolio of work! I'm so, so glad I made the commitment to myself to start this-I wish I'd started sooner, seriously!
  • NanjiP.  User Photo
    NanjiP. • Student Verified via GitHub
    I worked as an IT Analyst for couple of years, during the start of the Covid crisis, I lost my job, I was looking for work but was unsuccessful, I then decided that I want to change career, I decide that I want to be a Developer, I decide to teach myself the basics and the concepts in Web Development, by watching YouTube videos and Udemy courses, but they are not in-depth, for couple of months I was looking for a Bootcamp course, I went through and had a look at all the schools, and then I found Skillcrush, I thoroughly read all the reviews about them and(a lot of positive reviews)the cost of the course impressed me, I then applied for their 5 day free boot-camp course to get a taste on how they work, loved it, and so I enrolled in Front End and UX design course. I have completed the HTML, CSS part of course and am amazed at how far I have progressed on the course. Tutors are always available to assist and answer questions, I don't really have anything negative to say.
  • Mathew S.  User Photo
    Mathew S. • Soon to be Web Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I spent 18 years in a career that was not for me. For a long time I thought I couldn't change careers but after searching around for a boot camp style course I settled on Skillcrush. I chose them due to the five day free boot camp introduced me to how they work. I am just completing the HTML and CSS part of course and am amazed at how far I have come. I don't really have anything negative to say. It's good stuff.