nology-logo

Nology

Bristol, London

Nology

Nology offers a 12-week Tech Conversion Course in Bristol, UK aimed at people who want to switch careers into tech. Nology is a software development course which covers development fundamentals, full stack JavaScript, databases, design principles, professional development, and career coaching. Students are taught by an experienced in-house trainer, and learn through project work in an Agile environment, do pair programming, and test-driven development. At the end of the course, students demo their projects to guest speakers and prospective employers.

Nology hosts Tech Insight Days where students and future students can meet employers, and employers can source employees. Nology guarantees employment within 6 months, or they will refund a student’s tuition costs.

To apply, candidates must fill out an online form and upload their CV/resume, participate in a phone interview, and build a small app at an introductory day. There are no requirements in terms of prior experience.

Recent Nology Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (16) reviews for Nology →

Recent Nology News

• Tech Training Programme

AngularJS, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Front End, Agile
      Cost£6,975
      LocationBristol, London
      The Tech Training Programme is a software development course which covers development fundamentals, full stack JavaScript, databases, design principles, professional development, and career coaching. Students are taught by an experienced in-house trainer, and learn through project work in an Agile environment, do pair programming, and test-driven development. At the end of the course, students demo their projects to guest speakers and prospective employers.
      _nology have partnered with Future Finance to offer students loans towards both tuition fees and cost of living expenses.
      Refund / GuaranteeJob guarantee within 3 months of course completion
      Minimum Skill LevelThere are no requirements in terms of prior experience.
      Prep WorkApplicants attend a coding taster session where they learn how to build a basic website.

• Luke  User Photo
      Luke • Junior web developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The course at Nology was refreshingly different from other courses I’ve been a part of. The experience I gained from the course was invaluable, not only did we go through the theory and history of coding but the trainers gave us lots of opportunity to put the theory into practice through a series of coding challenges and projects from external businesses.

Over the 3 months of the course I saw a more then noticeable difference in my coding ability, I came to the course with little to no previous coding experience and with the fantastic help of the trainers I left with a great deal of knowledge and experience. The trainers there were extremely helpful with any problems I had with any of my work. I also left with my soft skills being boosted through-out the course.

The type of environment the trainers at Nology promoted was one of collaboration, this made the high intensity parts of the course more easily manageable and made it somewhere I was looking forward to going everyday.

• James  User Photo
      James • Junior software developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I attended the Jan-April 2020 _nology Front End Development course (Bristol intake), of which ~50% had to be delivered remotely due to the Covid-19 lockdown. The transition to remote working was handled expertly despite short notice by the course facilitators, and overall I could not speak more highly of the course content or delivery, particularly of the trainers Shea and Matt. I enjoyed my time on the course, and was able to secure my first position as a software developer just days before the course ended, despite and extremely difficult jobs market. I am confident the skills I have derived from the course will stand me in good stead moving forward in my new job and new career.
    • Benjamin Busch  User Photo
      Benjamin Busch • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

After finishing my degree in German and Philosophy, I attended the third cohort at Nology. To cut it short, the course took me from having close to no coding experience to landing a role as a software engineer in just three months.
      Everyone on my cohort had wildly different backgrounds which contributed to a great learning environment. Furthermore, I was surprised to find out that there didn't seem to be any correlation between STEM background and coding aptitude (Before attending I was worried that STEM grads would be way ahead of humanists such as me). In fact, Nology made great coders out of everyone on my cohort no matter their educational background and everyone landed a job in development.
      Lastly, it is important to stress that a three-month coding transformation doesn't happen by itself. It is hard work. Thus, to get the most out of Nology one has to commit 100%. This means long working hours and many evenings in front of the computer. However, if you don't shy away from hard work, Nology is an ideal place to help you embark on a career in tech. For me, it has been both a rewarding and life-defining experience.

• Ali  User Photo
      Ali • Front-End Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I’ve just finished a 12-week course at Nology. It’s been an amazing experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in starting a career in software development.

The course is quite intense, 40+ hours a week and an expectation to catch up on concepts and work on personal projects in your spare time. However, none of this was too much as there was a lot of support from the trainers, and the challenges we were set were a lot of fun to complete.

I was impressed that the course didn’t just focus on coding but every aspect of becoming a great developer. For example, we had a week on soft-skills, numerous sessions on career development and interview preparation, and frequent visits from tech CEOs who we could ask questions to. The course is also connected to Opus Recruitment, so through that, we were all set up with interviews in the final week of the course . 2 weeks after finishing I’ve just accepted an offer for a junior developer role in Bath!

• Eduardo Romero  User Photo
      Eduardo Romero • Front-end Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
      I took part in the 3rd intake. Right from the start you can see how much work has been put into it and how they are constantly finding ways to improve. This are 3 months where you can push yourself the most and have someone with expertise guide all your efforts into the best direction possible. It will give you back as much as you put in, so use the time wisely. Their aim is clear from the beginning; make you a great developer. And they will treat you as such from the start. It will give real life experience, with a real project and you'll be part of a team who is willing to put as much effort, or eve more, as you. You may not end up working with the tech they teach, but they will have given you the tools to learn any new tech you get thrown.
    • Course Review
      - 7/9/2019
      Mohammed Motara  User Photo
      Mohammed Motara • DevOps • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended the second bootcamp _nology ran. The bootcamp is designed to be intense. If you learn well in this environment then you will do just fine. The bootcamp is structured in a way that fosters a collegiate and collaborative atmosphere amongst students.

In terms of career prospects, the course allowed me to question and improve my skills in tech.

• Myles Carey  User Photo
      Myles Carey • Graduate Verified via GitHub
      Really good experience where the people you do the course with make it! We had a fantastic team coupled with great trainers and that meant we could all learn in the very best environment. This led to me getting a role that I love as a UX Developer. I don't regret one bit of it!
    • Kieran Taylor  User Photo
      Kieran Taylor • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
      • If you're looking for a way into the tech world, or you have no idea what career path you want to take then this is a fantastic place to start. I went into this course not knowing what HTML was, but I came out with the ability to make full web applications from scratch.
      • I studied physics at Uni, and even though that looks good on paper, job opportunities outside of the physics world were rare for me. Employers would be making a pretty big investment because they don't know how capable you are. If you do this course, not only do employers know that you have the ability to learn at a fast pace, but you'll also have a demonstratable ability to code and a portfolio of projects you can show them. Type "Junior Web Developer" into "indeed" and you'll be inundated with roles, and by the end of _nology you'll have the skills and potential to fill any of those roles.
      • The learning environment is the best kind because it only takes the pros from learning in a school and in a job, and mashes them together. It's like a job in the sense that you're gaining all the experience you would in a real job, and a school in the sense that making mistakes has no consequences. It's also the best kind of environment because it's just super fun working with your friends in a collaborative environment.
      • I feel much more confident in myself. Theres a focus on professional development and I can carry myself so much better in presentations and interviews, which are skills (that are just as important as your coding skills) that you can apply to almost anything you do.
    • Akash Mair  User Photo
      Akash Mair • Software developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The 12 weeks at Nology gives you the best possible start to becoming a developer and starting your career in tech. The core skills learnt aren't necessarily the coding languages but the values that should be in every developer; from building your confidence to becoming more resilent and open to challenges. Those values are nurtured and you are encouraged to take the steps into becoming the best developers you can be!
      Having completed Nology I feel much more confident in my ability even though my job uses a different tech stack because of the values instilled into me during the 12 weeks it doesn't feel as much as a challenge. I would highly recommend Nology to anyone who is looking to take their first step into tech, the support you'll have is what makes this course so unique. The trainers are dedicated to make sure you get the very best out of the 12 weeks and will put their very all into helping you succeed.

• George Webster  User Photo
      George Webster • Software Developer (was doing this role before the course) • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Having done this course after completing a 3 year Computer Science degree it's interesting to see the differences.

Pros:

- This course teaches right from the beginning, no previous experience necessary

- You will come out of this course with a greater knowledge (within the specific areas you study) than a Computer Science graduate (again, just those areas not overall)

- In a degree you would have a couple of hours a week contact time for each module so the content you learn is limited, here you'll be working 9-5 on it

- You will get to work on real world projects that have an impact on the clients who pitch them

- You chose the projects you work on so you're in control and can have a greater sense of pride of what you achieve

- Nology doesn't teach software, they create developers. There's a big difference between the two, you learn in a simulated work environment and they focus on the useful skills you need to easily join a team.

Cons:

- This is a relatively new course so of course there is some risk and hesitation, I hope this review has put that (to some extent) to rest

- When I attended there was just the one trainer and a lot of work for them to do to manage the course overall (remember this is very different to a traditional educaitonal course) with that in mind there was plenty of support for the group but not as much 1-1 as you might hope for, so code reviews weren't frequent. Had this been more often I would have gotten more from it. Keep in mind this was the first time the course was run and credit to them they did a fantastic job, I'm sure this isn't a problem you would face.

- The office (In Bristol incase Nology grows into more than one) is primarily a recruitment office. There is a lot of ambient noise which can be a real pain.

To summarise:

- If you decide to give it a go you'll have an amazing time.

- The team are very driven towards developing you and they do genuinely care about your success.

- You will meet like minded young people interested in pursuing a career in tech.

- You don't need any prior experience.

- You will get out of it what you put into it. Be aware that this will push you and you'll have to work for it (if it were easy everyone would do it).

• Shea  User Photo
      Shea • Junior trainer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The nology course was exactly as advertised, both in terms of what was required of me and what I would get out of it at the end.

The trainers were always willing to spend their spare time working with people eager to get some extra hours in. In addition to this, the candidates selected for the course helped create a collaborative environment that made those times of particularly high intensity more manageable.

During the course my code quality was vastly improved by repeated opportunities to apply what I had learned, whether in isolated challenges or real-world projects. My soft skills also got a boost through the regular contact we had with businesses of varying sizes.

Having never coded previously, choosing to join this course took serious consideration but the fact that 3 months later I was in my first job in the tech industry - and confident I deserved my place there - proves it was a decision well made.

• Josh  User Photo
      Josh • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I really enjoyed my time at _nology. The course is a really refreshing, engaging way of learning, and the practicality that comes from learning while working on actual projects feels invaluable.

The learning environment is great and the pace, whilst quick, isn't overwhelming, and both Craig and Liam are more than happy to sit down and explain any of the more difficult or abstract concepts.

It's not all just work either - there's a social side to the course too, and there's regular social events put on by Pete and the team. I really recommend it!

• Denise • Junior Developer • Graduate

I had a wonderful 12 weeks at Nology, and left the course with an incredible job ready to go. The more employers have exposure to the past and present students, the more interest they seem to be showing. So it is a fantastic way to not only learn how to code in JavaScrippt but to also learn about workplace best practies and then move into an exciting career with loads of potential. The trainers will push you to get the most out of the course, but they are fantastic and really supportive! I highly recommend the course to give yourself a running start in a growing industry and fantastic job.