devmountain-logo

Devmountain

Atlanta, Dallas, Lehi, Online, Phoenix, Provo, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City

Devmountain

Devmountain is a technology school that offers full-time and part-time programs at campuses in Lehi, Dallas, and Phoenix. The immersive courses include iOS Development, Software QA, User Experience Design, and Web Development. The Web track covers front-end and back-end JavaScript (HTML/CSS, jQuery, AngularJS, Node.js, Express, data sources like SQL, Mongo, Firebase). The iOS track covers mobile development in Swift. The UI/UX course covers prototyping, visual/motion design, sketch, adobe suite, UX research, wireframing, and analytical tools. Devmountain instructors are all coding industry professionals and aim to bring real-world applications into the classroom. The immersive courses require 40 to 60 hours of pre-course work, 40 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The part-time programs require 30 to 40 hours of pre-course work, 11 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The school was started in 2013 in Provo, Utah.

The first step to applying for Devmountain bootcamp is to check out the courses and start dates. Once the student has picked a course, they must submit an online application. Next, students speak with a member of the admissions team by phone to further discuss the program. After the phone call, students must complete a challenge to test their knowledge of the course subject matter. Finally, the admissions team will notify students if they qualify for acceptance. Devmountain recommends that students have some exposure to coding before applying.

Recent Devmountain Reviews: Rating 4.61

all (268) reviews for Devmountain →

Recent Devmountain News

Read all (30) articles about Devmountain →
  • iOS Development Immersive

Xcode, Objective-C, Design, Mobile, User Experience Design, iOS, Swift
    LocationLehi
    Want to build iOS (iPhone/iPad) apps? There is no better place to learn. You'll start building apps on Day 1 of the class, and by the end you'll have at least one app in the App Store (possibly even making you money). Classes are rigorous, and previous programming experience is definitely preferred, but if you're up to the challenge, you can become a great iOS developer with a start in this course.
    Minimum Skill LevelProgramming experience preferred, beginners welcome
    Prep WorkOnce accepted, students must complete pre-course work before first day of class.
  • Software QA Testing Immersive

AngularJS, Git
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    LocationLehi
    Our 6-week immersive software QA bootcamp will prepare you with the skills needed to become a competitive candidate for junior-level software QA engineer positions. Instruction consists of instructor lectures, guest lecturers, guided projects, individual projects, group projects, and real projects with corporate clients. Students will work collaboratively with the lead instructor and mentors throughout the course. Through experience in specific technologies and frameworks that are popular today, students can achieve a flexible outlook that is comfortable and eager to tackle new technologies in a fast-moving and ever-changing industry.
  • UI/UX Design After Hours

Design, User Experience Design
    LocationLehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into UX without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • UX Design Immersive

Design, Product Management, User Experience Design
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    LocationLehi
    If you're a designer, product person, developer, or simply interested in taking a dive into UX (user experience), this class is for you. Our "Immersive" full-time UI/UX course makes the most of class time because we focus on less theory and more hands-on practice. You're probably already doing some UX whether you know it or not and this course will help you give structure to your innate thoughts through industry know how and structured design processes. The design course at DevMountain is multi-faceted, covering all aspects of the design process from start to finish. While covering both mobile and web design principles students will practice creative discovery, ideation, critical thinking, research collection, wireframing / prototyping, basic front-end coding and more design best practices. The class will teach students to understand and meet modern web and mobile design standards in the product creation process, from first pondering user centered design and design thinking principles to testing their products on multiple devices and measuring the effectiveness of their designs. Students will also learn design principles such as grid systems, typography, color theory, branding and systems-based design, design history and research methods. By the end of the 13-week course, the new designers will graduate with a well-rounded portfolio of work that shows everything they have learned and can achieve in the workplace. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset. The course will prepare students to step into a variety of design roles: web designer, mobile designer, UX designer, UI designer, front-end designer, freelance designer, and more.
    Prep WorkYes.
  • Web Development After Hours

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    LocationLehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into code without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in coding, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • Web Development Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationLehi, Dallas, Phoenix
    The full-time class is the best immersive coding experience you can find. It's a world-class coding education. It's also a grind--8 or 10 or 12 hour days of instruction, 1:1 mentoring, and work. You'll live, eat, sleep, and breathe code for 12 weeks. And when you're done, you'll be a different person. This class is great for those who are serious about learning to code. If you want to code as a career, this is the place to do it. There's no better place in the country for this price to get nearly two years worth of world-class education.

• Dakota Corbin • Graphic Designer • Graduate

I recently completed the Immersive Web Development Cohort at DevMountain. Going into the program, I had strongly debated between Development or UI/UX, as I am a very big design guy. I decided that I was confident enough in my design skills and that I wanted to learn something completely new.

The course at DevMountain opened up my eyes to so many new possibilities. I was nowhere close to being the best student, and honestly was probably in the bottom half of the group. However, I was able to gain such a great understanding for how full stack development works. I have no doubt that if I would have dedicated myself more to the program, that I would have excelled so much more in development.

I am now a designer for a premium clothing company, and I was able to get this opportunity through a friend I made at DevMountain who got a job as a developer for this company as well. I work very closely with the development team, and because of my time at DevMountain, I am able to communicate with them in technical terms in relation to coding, etc.

I am definitely looking to continue to develop my coding skills, but I wouldn't trade my experience at DevMountain for anything. Regardless of how well I did in the program, it opened doors for me, and I am not getting to do something that I love every single day.

It's all about how much effort and dedication that you put into it.

I would recommend DevMountain to anyone.

• Jay Sargent  User Photo
    Jay Sargent • React Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    DevMountain was exactly what I needed after I had a pretty rough university experience. They have dedicated mentors, teachers, student advisors, and overall staff who all know their stuff.

They don't promise that jobs will be handed to you if you complete the boot camp. They focus on teaching you how to learn code, and how to get a job - which requires much more than just completing any boot camp. But they teach you how, and what employers are looking for!

Everyone I know who took the advice of the DevMountain, worked hard, and took every single day seriously (including after the bootcamp) got a job within a year, many within 1-3 months. Myself included. I took the Web Developer camp, but 2 members on my team at work went through the UX program and had raving things to say about it. We all wear our DevMountain shirt with pride.

Their price is cheaper than most other bootcamps, and much cheaper than Universities.

The curriculum is currently React / Node focused - but as I said before they teach you how to learn so there is no limit after DevMountain for what you can teach yourself.

The community on slack is more than willing to help anyone out with any question, no matter the technology used.

It is possible to learn these skills without DevMountain, but their focused course, onsite staff, and focused / intense atmosphere is exactly what I needed to succeed, and I could NOT have done this without them (and many others who I've talked to agree.)

I came from a coding background (two years of university and growing up building simple websites), but there were other students in our cohort who had zero coding experience and excelled. All of us learned and grew immensely here.

I would highly recommend DevMountain to anyone wanting to seriously get into coding.
  • Joseph Hutch  User Photo
    Joseph Hutch • Software Engineer in Test • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    In 2017 I realized my career was stagnating and I was making no forward progress. I quit my job thinking I would be able get a new job in three months. Three months later with over a hundred applications, one call back and no interviews, I signed up for the DevMountain QA course. Three months later I had a new job that put my career back on course. They provided me with certifications to show that I was skilled. assistance to build resumes that would be reviewed and how to succeed in interviews. I wouldn't be where I am now without DevMountain.
  • iOS Developer
    - 3/31/2020
    Carson  User Photo
    Carson • iOS Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Great experience with great mentors who are there to teach you everything you need to know to get a job. They care about helping you and do everything they can to succeed. Intense long hours, waterhose amount of information, but you learn 2+ years worth of information and experience in 3 months
  • Jesse Badgley  User Photo
    Jesse Badgley • Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    You need to be prepared to learn a lot! I mean a lot. You won't learn everything you need in the lectures, so you need to be prepared to study and continue learning after hours. I graduated in December, and it was hard to find a job. I didn't get hired until March, but I am so glad I didn't give up hope. I now have a great job, and I am making more money than I ever thought I could right out of boot camp! I want to thank DevMountain for helping me change my life for the better!
  • Jason Jones  User Photo
    Jason Jones • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I entered the Dallas DevMountain web development program with little coding experience. I had experimented as a teen (10+ years ago) with some very basic HTML. I'm technically inclined with computers but my previous work experience is largely food service, customer service, and team management. DevMountain's campus was excellent, the staff clearly enjoy what they're doing, and I loved my time in the program. Today I got the phone call I'd been waiting for: I got a job! DevMountain hosted a hiring event a few days after my cohort's graduation. This event put me in contact with recruiters and developers alike. This event let me create contacts with recruiting agencies and ultimately with the senior developer of the company now hiring me. The job prep workshops helped me establish my resume and take the skills from my previous fields and turn them into marketable, useful skills for my new field. I loved DevMountain; I recommend it to anyone looking for a bootcamp. My only complaint: some of the curriculum materials are not perfect. This is outside of the control of the staff working at the Dallas location. At the end of the day, it's the instructor's job to introduce you to the concepts and provide you with structure. Your job is to connect the dots and do the work to learn the material so I never found myself hindered by the curriculum materials. I believe the staff makes the difference and at DevMouintain they certainly did. Thank you Mykenzie, Katie, Brittany, Eric and Jacob!
  • Mr
    - 2/28/2020
    Rico  User Photo
    Rico • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    hello, I’m a recent graduate from DevMountain. I want to take this time to say thank you! DevMountain was an amazing learning experience for me. For someone coming into coding from a new career, I’d say definitely give DevMountain a try. From the professional staff to the campus, not once was I discouraged. I was given great hands on experience with building projects as well as very helpful mentors who know the subjects. The course work was great and very understanding also. I especially want to give a round of applause to the PHX mentors Ms.Hatch and Mr.Kent who were able to step up to the plate through a difficult transition and still provide us students with professionalism and a good learning environment! THANK YOU ALL at DevMountain
  • Bailie Ewell  User Photo
    Bailie Ewell • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This was exactly the program I was looking for! They provided me with housing which was a nice benefit. I was in a small cohort so there was lots of personal attention, and it was a relaxed atmosphere to create, and ask lots of questions. I gained lots of experience presenting in front of people, and getting feedback on my designs. Collaboration was a big part of the program, I gained a lot of learning experience working with people. The outcomes department is great. They often reach out to me to see what they can do to help, and they are able assist with anything. Devmountain is a network of amazing people working toward the same goals who are willing to help each other along the way. It is a great environment. I would recommend this course to anyone. I love Devmountain.
  • Austin Karren  User Photo
    Austin Karren Verified via GitHub
    I am really enjoying the web dev course here in Lehi. I love the immersive experience that this course provides. There are times that it can be challenging but I enjoy the curriculum and I am excited to learn more.
  • Joe  User Photo
    Joe • Software Developer and Integrator • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

DevMountain provided the exact experience that I was seeking during my career transition. After spending roughly 8 months teaching myself how to code, I turned to DevMountain's full-time web development bootcamp to accelerate the process.

The bootcamp was extremely fast-paced and challenging, but the workload and relatively short amount of time forced us to truly focus and work hard to see results. The material that was taught helped me directly in my career, and I still use things that I learned at DevMountain at my job on a regular basis. I also gained valuable skills in regards to working on software with teams. Lastly, I found value in having mentorship throughout the process as well as career prep to close out the cohort.

The only aspect of DevMountain that I didn't really like was the location (downtown dallas). The building felt old and had a mothball smell, but the hackerspace and amenities were nice.

• Grant  User Photo
    Grant • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

While I have no issues with the course and the instructors/mentors (they were great). My issue is with everything else about DevMountain. When I started I was moving from California to Utah. I requested housing and they told me they were full but the moment they had an opening (I was told when the class closest to graduating left there would be space) I was the first on the waiting list for a room. So in good faith I stayed with a friend in and started the class. Three weeks later a class graduates and I hear from classmates of mine that there are empty rooms available. I bring this up and I am told that those spaces are for people who need a room. I brought up that I was staying in a cramped location with no space for me to study and that I had moved here for this course. It took another 6 weeks of me complaining and talking to my mentors and student success for me to get a room. At that point I was about to quit the course because I was so anxious that I could not focus on my personal project. But once I got in the room everything was fine. I wish I would have had the room the whole time, I probably would have gotten more from the course. But I graduated and I completed all of the tasks required to badge. That's where the next issue happened. I had meetings with student success after the course ended to check up on how my job prep tasks were going. I showed that my LinkedIn profile, resume, and portfolio were to their standards and waited to get my badge. My third meeting with student success was rescheduled and then missed by DevMountain. I just contacted them again to check on my badge and was told they didn't have any proof that I had done my work and they would have to check it again. I am very disappointed at everything DevMountain is other than the course. I feel like I am getting the run around and being forgotten.

Followed up a month later, they wanted to go through the whole badging process again. They had forgotten about me again.

Response From: Emily of Devmountain
    Title: Director of Marketing
    Thursday, Oct 17 2019
    Grant, we're so sorry you weren't able to get into housing sooner, and I hope we can better serve future students. We appreciate your feedback and have already made some big changes to our housing plan. We want to be able to offer housing, included with tuition for full-time students, to all who are coming from out of state and need it, so we made a few changes.  We have acquired 24 new housing units/beds since August to help make sure we can better accommodate housing requests. Also, the housing manager you were working with is no longer with Devmountain- the new person is an excellent communicator, and created an organized system to manage housing needs. Secondly, we really want to see you badge! Please respond to our emails and phone calls so we can work through this.
  • UX Immersive
    - 3/5/2019
    Dawna Gravley  User Photo
    Dawna Gravley • UX Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I loved my time at DevMountain. The instructors were great, and the Lead UX Instructor works very hard to get his students the most opportunities and experiences he possibly can. I feel like I have as well-rounded and thorough of an education as I could have asked for given the short time period. There's always negatives, and if I had to name some I would say I have the impression that the mentors in each program rotate often - I think this is a function of DevMountain hiring recent grads to help mentor, and then they move on to full time jobs when they find them. I personally didn't find a problem with the quality of the mentorship because of this, but I think it's just something to be aware of. I also know they are moving to the Lehi campus - my cohort was the last UX cohort to be at the Salt Lake City campus, and it was awesome. I have not yet visited Lehi, so can't give you any insight there, other than it is surrounded by tech companies, so that's a good thing.  I would definitely recommend DevMountain to anyone, without a doubt.

• Web Dev Immersive
    - 2/19/2019
    Megan Shepherd  User Photo
    Megan Shepherd • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Absolutely loved my experience with DevMountain. I came into this experience with absolutely no prior experience with coding, and I was terrified I wouldn't be able to keep up. When I applied and was accepted I had two months before the actual courses started. They gave me pre-course work to complete and assigned me a mentor, and I was able to work as hard as I could those two months to try and get some sort of base knowledge. Having those 2 months to study was a huge boon to me, and I think I would have struggled a lot more in the bootcamp had I not taken the time and to put all my energy into studying beforehand.

The course itself and all of the instructors are fantastic. The coursework is laid out well, and the pace was great (for me). Like most reviews will say, you get out of the course what you put into it. And while I didn't stay up until 2 am like some of my classmates, (I need sleep), I still feel like I got the most I could. I put in a few extra hours most days either before or after class.Try to study the topic the lectures cover the night before, because that will also give you a boost.

Job prep wise, they do a great job helping you tailor your resume and get started with connecting to people on LinkedIn. As for getting an actual job, I'm starting that search now and hoping it goes well. They definitely do as much as they can (mock interviews, interview prep questions, resume critique, post grad resources) to help get you started in the job hunt. I definitely recommend DevMountain.

• Mathew Cook  User Photo
    Mathew Cook Verified via GitHub
    We started out with a great instructor for the pre-course Bryan Smith, he was engaging and really made sure we understood the material. I was under the impression he was going to be the instructor so I felt comfortable with my choice as Dev Mountain. When the actual course started they switched instructors, but I kept an open mind. After the first couple of lectures I felt I was getting more and more lost, and the curriculum wasn't nearly as in depth to fall back on to put together the pieces. The online curriculum really seemed to focus on the online meetings, and with a instructor give vary vague, not thought out lectures it was hard to follow. Two weeks before the 5 weeks checkpoint I stressed my concerns with not being able to pass the 5 week pass/fail assignment. All he did was told me to keep at it and not to worry I'll do fine. Long story short I didnt pass but kept contact with a fellow cohort member whom did, and he told me less than 20 percent of the cohort "graduated" and most felt lost throughout the whole experiance. They even asked me if I found anything better after he finished.
    Response From: Brandon Hassler of Devmountain
    Title: Director of Marketing
    Thursday, Jan 17 2019
    Hey Matthew,

So sorry to hear your experience at DevMountain was less than stellar. Unfortunately, Course Report limits our responses to be very short, so please refer to the review you left on our Facebook page. Thank you!
  • Tim Carter  User Photo
    Tim Carter • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Great experience overall.

Pros:

• As long as you commit youself, you'll learn SO so much.
    • Great enviornment.
    • Great instructors and mentors.
    • You'll leave with some cool projects to add to your portfolio.

Cons:

• Let' be real, $11,000 is a little steep for 3 months (but I've decided it's worth it).
    • Sometimes small things feel a little unorganized, but overall the course is very structured.
    • If you do it right, you won't have a life for 3 months (but what's 3 months for a full career change).
  • Great and Tough
    - 9/17/2018
    Anonymous  User Photo
    Anonymous • Student Verified via LinkedIn

The pre-admission stuff was doable and there was a great bonus of some basecamp material that gave an insight into what to expect, however the first few weeks accelerated fast and I felt overwhelmed by all the new concepts since we were learning something new daily. Halfway through the program things made more sense as I applied these concepts in a live project. There were several high points as well as frustrating moments and I can say that I experienced growth than I would have thought possible. I was reluctant to invest in a coding bootcamp but definitely think it was worthwhile, I can piece everything from start to finish, building a full stack app to tooling and hosting. Currently on my last week so no job yet but the career support department has been commendable. I would recommend this school.

• Alex Porter  User Photo
    Alex Porter • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended the after hours web cohort and was at the Provo campus for 16 weeks. This was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I'm the happiest I've been in the work that I get do to now and learning at DevMountain was a blast. I've recommended it and have had a friend go and do the full time cohort since I left.

DevMountain isn't the perfect bootcamp. The pace is fast and the cirriculum isn't always in-depth. But that doesn't mean it isn't amazing.

The trick, for me, was all about the time I put into the experience. I found that I got out of the boot camp what I put in. I made sure to always ask questions and get mentor help when I needed it. It was clear immediately to me that if I didn't ask questions, get more examples, and do some serious googling that I wouldn't leave with the knowledge required to land a job. Part time isn't enough time to not give it 100% of your best effort. The resources are definitely available for those who seek them. This is is the nature of the beast. Because you are trying to learn so much new material in a short amount of time, they can only do so much. You have to take the course and run with it, seek help where and when you need it, and really just never give up.

I think any motivated person would do well at DevMountain, put yourself first and commit to the program. It's too expensive and too valuable to your future to not make the most of it by taking it seriously.

• Michael Fearn  User Photo
    Michael Fearn • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

DevMountain was a wonderful experience, but don't confuse wonderful with easy. The amount of material being taught is enormous and the concepts are challenging to rap you head around in the time you have. The curriculum is well structured and thought out which pushes your ability to retain more than you could believe. The people are amazing, the staff is great and you'll leave better than before. Along with teaching you skills you're also given a road map to follow to help push your abilities and hireability. I would highly recommend DevMountain to anyone that wants to take one of the first steps of getting into the development industry.

• Great experience
    - 8/17/2018
    Jon Baxter  User Photo
    Jon Baxter • Looking for Jobs • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I loved my time there. Class structure is great and it does require comittment. You need to commit to learning a lot to keep pace. A lot of self-motivation, but it was so much fun.

• Needs Job Support
    - 6/25/2018
    Anonymous  User Photo
    Anonymous • Nothing Yet • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I was apart of the UX immersive bootcamp. The courses were okay, the teachers and mentor were helpful. I left feeling like I could have spent my money better elsewhere however. The job fair after the course had no support fo UX designers whatsoever. No one prepared us for what the job hunt would look like. Our whole class was confused after getting out as to what we needed to do next. This meant about a month before anyone was able to get a clear grasp of what to do. If we had been given more direction we could've saved some time. I felt the course would've been better if they taught us some HTML/CSS as well. It seems a lot of the jobs out there require experience in this area.

• Would Recommend
    - 5/9/2018
    Taylor Bills  User Photo
    Taylor Bills • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I enjoyed every second of this camp. Great classmates, smart and involved mentors, and hardworking staff all made me feel welcome and happy. 6 weeks of course work and 6 weeks of project work was a really good system. I wish I would have known about this sooner!

• Awesome School!!
    - 5/3/2018
    Austin  User Photo
    Austin • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

DevMountain is a great school for those wanting to learn straight up full stack web development. I was a student at UVU before I found DevMountain, and the program I was in was not teaching me what I wanted to learn with web development. I had a friend tell me about DevMountain, and I looked into it. After researching it for a bit I applied and signed up for there after hours web course. During the 4 months I was in the course, I learned a lot, but I also didn't feel like I learned all that I should have learned. It took me an additional 4 months to finish the group and personal projects, since we didn't do those in class. I got lucky and was able to work full time on finishing all the projects and job prep to get badged after the course had ended. I really learned all that I needed to while working on my personal project, and helping wiht our group project. But the work I did in class set a great foundation for me to understand what I needed to do for the personal and group projects. This is a great school and I would recommend it to anyone looking to go into this field.

• Brandon   User Photo
    Brandon • Solutions Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had a great experience at DevMtn. I decided to go to better myself and take advantage of the rapidly growing tech field. They have great instructors who are always willing to help whenever you ask. The mentors that stay with each cohort have been through the course so they know what you're going through! It's definately not easy but it's the best decision I've made. The first two weeks are the hardest but if you can make it through, you should be golden as long as you stay on top of it.

• Brett Seegmiller  User Photo
    Brett Seegmiller • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am currently enrolled in the UI/UX immersive course and will graduate at the end of April. I have loved my experience and look forward to taking the skills I learned and turn them into a career. It's tough work but totally worth it in the end. If you consider yourself a designer and want to challenge yourself, the immersive UI/UX course is extremely rewarding. The mentors and instructor genuinely help to see you succeed and were extremely helpful in helping me step up my game. Thanks DevMountain!