devmountain-logo

Devmountain

Atlanta, Dallas, Lehi, Online, Phoenix, Provo, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City

Devmountain

Devmountain is a technology school that offers full-time and part-time programs at campuses in Lehi, Dallas, and Phoenix. The immersive courses include iOS Development, Software QA, User Experience Design, and Web Development. The Web track covers front-end and back-end JavaScript (HTML/CSS, jQuery, AngularJS, Node.js, Express, data sources like SQL, Mongo, Firebase). The iOS track covers mobile development in Swift. The UI/UX course covers prototyping, visual/motion design, sketch, adobe suite, UX research, wireframing, and analytical tools. Devmountain instructors are all coding industry professionals and aim to bring real-world applications into the classroom. The immersive courses require 40 to 60 hours of pre-course work, 40 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The part-time programs require 30 to 40 hours of pre-course work, 11 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The school was started in 2013 in Provo, Utah.

The first step to applying for Devmountain bootcamp is to check out the courses and start dates. Once the student has picked a course, they must submit an online application. Next, students speak with a member of the admissions team by phone to further discuss the program. After the phone call, students must complete a challenge to test their knowledge of the course subject matter. Finally, the admissions team will notify students if they qualify for acceptance. Devmountain recommends that students have some exposure to coding before applying.

Recent Devmountain Reviews: Rating 4.6

all (282) reviews for Devmountain →

Recent Devmountain News

Read all (33) articles about Devmountain →
  • iOS Development Immersive

Xcode, Objective-C, Design, Mobile, User Experience Design, iOS, Swift
    LocationLehi
    Want to build iOS (iPhone/iPad) apps? There is no better place to learn. You'll start building apps on Day 1 of the class, and by the end you'll have at least one app in the App Store (possibly even making you money). Classes are rigorous, and previous programming experience is definitely preferred, but if you're up to the challenge, you can become a great iOS developer with a start in this course.
    Minimum Skill LevelProgramming experience preferred, beginners welcome
    Prep WorkOnce accepted, students must complete pre-course work before first day of class.
  • Software QA Testing Immersive

AngularJS, Git, Quality Assurance Testing
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    LocationLehi
    Our 6-week immersive software QA bootcamp will prepare you with the skills needed to become a competitive candidate for junior-level software QA engineer positions. Instruction consists of instructor lectures, guest lecturers, guided projects, individual projects, group projects, and real projects with corporate clients. Students will work collaboratively with the lead instructor and mentors throughout the course. Through experience in specific technologies and frameworks that are popular today, students can achieve a flexible outlook that is comfortable and eager to tackle new technologies in a fast-moving and ever-changing industry.
    Devmountain has partnerships with SkillsFund and Climb Credit
  • UI/UX Design After Hours

Design, User Experience Design
    LocationLehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into UX without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • UX Design Immersive

Design, Product Management, User Experience Design
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    LocationLehi
    If you're a designer, product person, developer, or simply interested in taking a dive into UX (user experience), this class is for you. Our "Immersive" full-time UI/UX course makes the most of class time because we focus on less theory and more hands-on practice. You're probably already doing some UX whether you know it or not and this course will help you give structure to your innate thoughts through industry know how and structured design processes. The design course at DevMountain is multi-faceted, covering all aspects of the design process from start to finish. While covering both mobile and web design principles students will practice creative discovery, ideation, critical thinking, research collection, wireframing / prototyping, basic front-end coding and more design best practices. The class will teach students to understand and meet modern web and mobile design standards in the product creation process, from first pondering user centered design and design thinking principles to testing their products on multiple devices and measuring the effectiveness of their designs. Students will also learn design principles such as grid systems, typography, color theory, branding and systems-based design, design history and research methods. By the end of the 13-week course, the new designers will graduate with a well-rounded portfolio of work that shows everything they have learned and can achieve in the workplace. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset. The course will prepare students to step into a variety of design roles: web designer, mobile designer, UX designer, UI designer, front-end designer, freelance designer, and more.
    Prep WorkYes.
  • Web Development After Hours

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    LocationLehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into code without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in coding, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • Web Development Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationLehi, Dallas, Phoenix
    The full-time class is the best immersive coding experience you can find. It's a world-class coding education. It's also a grind--8 or 10 or 12 hour days of instruction, 1:1 mentoring, and work. You'll live, eat, sleep, and breathe code for 12 weeks. And when you're done, you'll be a different person. This class is great for those who are serious about learning to code. If you want to code as a career, this is the place to do it. There's no better place in the country for this price to get nearly two years worth of world-class education.
  • Graduate
    - 8/29/2017
    Ian Schoen  User Photo
    Ian Schoen • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

DevMountain was, by far, the best educational experience I have ever had.  For two years I pursued a Computer Science degree which naturally involved quite a bit of programming.  I loved programming, but nothing that I was learning was applicable in the workforce and I soon realized that I would be in school for another 2 years before I could make anything of it!  I decided to look into bootcamps and shortly thereafter found out about DevMountain.  I considered other schools, but the amazing reviews and the affordability of DevMountain towered above all the others.

I learned more during my time at DevMountain than I did in two years of college.  Heck, I would even say that DevMountain completely changed my life.  I am forever grateful to all the instructors, my mentors, and my classmates.

If you love to code and want to make something out of it, DevMountain is the place for you.

• Micah Bunting  User Photo
    Micah Bunting • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I took the iOS development course at DevMoutain. I learned alot and I have seen others learn as well. The mentors are great and helpfull.

Some of the reasons I wanted to take the class was to have uninterupted time to develop my skills without being iterupted by other priorities. I also wanted the mentorship to help direct me in what I needed to learn. Like most things, you get what you put into it. I definatly took advantage of the time here. Several nights I put in 15 hr days and I feel that I was productive and able to improve my skills.

If you are thinking about starting, I would recommend it. I would also recomment learning the basics of swift before you sign up for the class. There is a lot to learn the first week, but If you know the basics of swift, it will be easier to grasp.

• Zachary Springer  User Photo
    Zachary Springer • DevMountain Mentor • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

DevMountain truly changed my life. Going in I was unsure about what I really wanted to do with my life and felt that I was wandering with no real purpose. While I was there, I learned to work and study hard and I learned to love the process. I'm indebted to DevMountain because I feel that I've truly found my calling and I want to give back in the ways that my mentors did.

• Great experience
    - 7/28/2017
    Daniel S  User Photo
    Daniel S • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    I loved my time at devmountain. Although instructor skills can vary, overall they were really great and the coursework taught me a ton. I found employment a week after graduation, and my life has changed increasingly for the better. A word of advice I'd give to people interested: you need to put in the time before you step foot into class. I probably studied for at least 100 hours going into the course, and I already had exposure to coding before. Once you have the way of thinking down, learning is easy and that's how you'll get the most mileage out of this course.
  • My Results
    - 7/12/2017
    Tim Mitchell  User Photo
    Tim Mitchell • Web Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

My previous review focused on my advice on how to succeed with DevMtn, this review is to share the results. A little over a month after graduation I now have full time web dev job at a great company. I had two other offers of employment besides. So there's a data point for you.

As with all things DevMtn, they give you the tools and support to succeed, and you must employ them tenatiously. The job question is no different.

I believe this review will link to my LinkedIn, please don't hesitate to message me about anything you think I can help you with. At your service.

- 7/9/2017
    Alex Mortensen  User Photo
    Alex Mortensen • Front End Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

DevMountain was awesome. I've never had so much information pumped into my head in such a short amount of time. They have a different method of teaching than colleges that I really like. They pretty much just give you all the tools and resources you need to succeed then the rest is up to you. If you put a lot into it and work hard you will learn a lot and get a lot out of it. If you don't put a lot into it you won't get a lot of of it. The free housing was great for student housing standards. I had 3 job offers a month after I graduated. Two of them I got though Devmountain referrals. Devmountain gives you the perfect environment to become a successful web developer.

• Bernadette St George  User Photo
    Bernadette St George • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    Really disappointing experience with these folks -- they seemed so nice when I was emailing them and talking on the phone with them about attending the web dev immersive program, but when I showed up to start the program I found that the free housing wasn't livable (it had wall-to-wall carpeting throughout the apt, and was so musty and moldy that my boyfriend and I both got migraines from being there for less than an hour). When I explained my dilemma to the housing coordinator, she offered me no help, but merely suggested that I look in the local classifieds -- this was with one day to go before starting the program, and I had nowhere to stay. She even told me that past students had also had allergic reactions to the housing/carpeting. If this was the case, I couldn't (and still can't) understand why they wouldn't simply acquire some better, carpet-free and mold-free housing for their students? (Especially when the free housing is supposedly one of the great things about this school). When I asked if I could get my $750 deposit back, since it was through no fault of my own that I couldn't attend, and because I had given that money in good faith that the housing would be livable, they simply said no, that they needed that money. Ummm....I needed that money too! Especially since I had given up my job and my housing in Boulder in anticipation of being in Provo for 3 months, and have lost a *lot* more money than that from taking such a gamble on Devmountain. When I asked them if they would test for mold, and told them about really reliable mold tests like the ERMI and HERTSMI tests, they instead just got a super-cheap and unreliable test that only tested for 2 types of mold, when there are 7 types that are super-toxic for humans. I still can't believe how awful the whole thing was, and how as an organization they have no policies in place to address situations like this -- the way they acted like their moldy housing was somehow my fault was incredibly unfair and unjust. There are so many great web dev bootcamps out there -- please don't waste your time going here!

Response From: Cahlan Sharp of Devmountain
    Title: CEO
    Friday, Jul 07 2017
    Hi Bernadette,

We understand the sacrifices our students make to go through our program and so when expectations aren't met, we don't take that lightly.

We also don't want to get into a back and forth on the details of what happened here, because we believe our housing team went above and beyond to accommodate your needs, and it seems that the only resolution you'd be satisfied with is a full refund of your deposit, which goes against our policies. Our staff does everything within their power to resolve concerns, but to be fair to all our students, we have to stand by our policies.

As one of the highest rated bootcamps in the country, we stand by the quality of our program and our student housing. Consistently, the feedback we get on our free housing is that it is not only livable but exceeds our students' expectations.

We would still love to resolve your situation and help you reach your goal to become a developer. You can always transfer your course deposit to a future cohort or DevMountain Campus. Please reach out to us by contacting admin@devmountain.com.
  • Chelsea Adamson  User Photo
    Chelsea Adamson • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I jumped into this because I wasn't happy in my current career and I had a love for Design. After 10 weeks of school and only 2 weeks left I needed to get out and see some real life UX Designers in action before applying for any jobs.  I was able to get a chance to shadow a previous DevMountain mentor.  During my time shadowing they decided to interview me. I was not prepared one bit which they were aware of but I was able to show them everything I had learned at DevMountain and what projects I had completed.  Later that day the company called and gave me an offer.  I scored an amazing job because of what DevMountain had taught me. I was able to double my income in 10 weeks and get a job offer before school was even over. I didn't start the job until school ended so I was able to complete the course (which I would recommend everyone to finish the course even if you have a job offer). Even within the two weeks left of class it was a continuous learning experience. DevMountain makes going to school fun and they do an amazing at preparing you for your next job and even unplanned interviews.

• David Mayes  User Photo
    David Mayes • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Initially I wanted to do the immersive course, but with supporting a family, it wasn't an option at the time. Even though I knew going into the DevMountain after hours course that they didn't offer job assistance, I was still determined to land a dev job afterwards.

Knowing that this was my best shot at gaining enough knowledge/experience to land a dev job, I gave it everything that I had. I spent 30+ hours every week coding on top of the full time job that I had. When I was in class, I always tried to ask every question that I thought would help benefit my learning experience (I had a super sharp mentor who was also able to answer every question that I came up with. That alone made DevMountain worth the money). When I was out of class, I was either watching the lectures (I would say I watched most lectures twice before class so I wouldn't forget it) or building an application. I think there was a total of two days in the whole 16 weeks that I didn't turn on my computer to code something. I cannot reiterate how much of an impact constantly building applications that incorporated all of my current knowledge made (I tried to build a full application every weekend that included everything we had learned up to that time). That helped me to easily remember all of the HTML/CSS stuff from the beginning. I also planned ahead, I looked at the course outline and thought of what I wanted to do for my end project. That way when it came, I wasn't wasting time on coming up with ideas, but I already had my designs drawn up so that I could get right to coding.

In the end it completely paid off. DevMountain was worth every bit of the time that I put into it. Two weeks after I had finished DevMountain, I received three different offers for web developer positions. I don't think that is typical for part-time students, but if you put the time and work into it, it's definitely possible.

I'm not sure if the curriculum has changed since I took their course, but the only improvement that I think they could make would be to focus more on a newer front-end framework such as React/Redux or Angular4. A lot of the jobs that are being listed now are asking for a more component based framework. Luckily the company that hired me on is giving me some time to get up to speed on Angular4.

With all that being said, I could not be happier with my decision to go through the DevMountain after hours course. I finally found what I love to do, and I get paid to do it! I continually recommend it to everyone that asks.

• Allen Vawdrey  User Photo
    Allen Vawdrey • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I went to DevMountain just over 2 years ago.  I took the Web Part Time course and loved it.  It also helped me get my first programming job. I have continued with my education and recently graduated from UVU with a BS in Computer Science. I would like to give back to DevMountain what they gave me.

• Do your homework
    - 5/31/2017
    Tim Mitchell  User Photo
    Tim Mitchell • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

If you are not doing pre-class work, there's a huge chance you're doing it wrong and wasting your time and money.  Sometimes it's unclear how to prepare best for the next day.  Ask.  You're confused?  Take a deep breath and remind yourself that there is no better way to feel than confused.  It means you are learning, even if it doesn't feel like it.  You're carving a toe hold in the mountain and soon you will be able to use it to progress to the next steop.  Calmly soldier on, and when there is time, DO as much as you can.  As in, make the file, code it, tinker with it, do it.

You'll notice instructors have only 4 stars.  I only want to highlight the difference that I personally felt in the instruction style and calliber.  It innitially turned me off, but I wonder if in reality it is better to have variety in instructors; it mimicks the real world.  Anyway, one tacit or perhaps explicit thing that they teach at devMtn and that I will tell you is that you can't expect the instructor to blow your mind and transform you into a developer.  I would say, you need to do the homework, then come to class with questions and an open mind, absorb, ask, solidify.  You have to be able to contribute something at all points, in all interactions, in all lectures.  If you gamble and think, 'I'll just go to class and this instructor is going to solve all my problems for me and inject me with great coding abilities'...that's wrong most of the time.