devmountain-logo

Devmountain

Atlanta, Dallas, Lehi, Online, Phoenix, Provo, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City

Devmountain

Devmountain is a technology school that offers full-time and part-time programs at campuses in Lehi, Dallas, and Phoenix. The immersive courses include iOS Development, Software QA, User Experience Design, and Web Development. The Web track covers front-end and back-end JavaScript (HTML/CSS, jQuery, AngularJS, Node.js, Express, data sources like SQL, Mongo, Firebase). The iOS track covers mobile development in Swift. The UI/UX course covers prototyping, visual/motion design, sketch, adobe suite, UX research, wireframing, and analytical tools. Devmountain instructors are all coding industry professionals and aim to bring real-world applications into the classroom. The immersive courses require 40 to 60 hours of pre-course work, 40 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The part-time programs require 30 to 40 hours of pre-course work, 11 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The school was started in 2013 in Provo, Utah.

The first step to applying for Devmountain bootcamp is to check out the courses and start dates. Once the student has picked a course, they must submit an online application. Next, students speak with a member of the admissions team by phone to further discuss the program. After the phone call, students must complete a challenge to test their knowledge of the course subject matter. Finally, the admissions team will notify students if they qualify for acceptance. Devmountain recommends that students have some exposure to coding before applying.

Recent Devmountain Reviews: Rating 4.6

all (287) reviews for Devmountain →

Recent Devmountain News

Read all (35) articles about Devmountain →
  • iOS Development Immersive

Xcode, Objective-C, Design, Mobile, User Experience Design, iOS, Swift
    LocationLehi
    Want to build iOS (iPhone/iPad) apps? There is no better place to learn. You'll start building apps on Day 1 of the class, and by the end you'll have at least one app in the App Store (possibly even making you money). Classes are rigorous, and previous programming experience is definitely preferred, but if you're up to the challenge, you can become a great iOS developer with a start in this course.
    Minimum Skill LevelProgramming experience preferred, beginners welcome
    Prep WorkOnce accepted, students must complete pre-course work before first day of class.
  • Software QA Testing Immersive

AngularJS, Git, Quality Assurance Testing
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    LocationLehi
    Our 6-week immersive software QA bootcamp will prepare you with the skills needed to become a competitive candidate for junior-level software QA engineer positions. Instruction consists of instructor lectures, guest lecturers, guided projects, individual projects, group projects, and real projects with corporate clients. Students will work collaboratively with the lead instructor and mentors throughout the course. Through experience in specific technologies and frameworks that are popular today, students can achieve a flexible outlook that is comfortable and eager to tackle new technologies in a fast-moving and ever-changing industry.
    Devmountain has partnerships with SkillsFund and Climb Credit
  • UI/UX Design After Hours

Design, User Experience Design
    LocationLehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into UX without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • UX Design Immersive

Design, Product Management, User Experience Design
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    LocationLehi
    If you're a designer, product person, developer, or simply interested in taking a dive into UX (user experience), this class is for you. Our "Immersive" full-time UI/UX course makes the most of class time because we focus on less theory and more hands-on practice. You're probably already doing some UX whether you know it or not and this course will help you give structure to your innate thoughts through industry know how and structured design processes. The design course at DevMountain is multi-faceted, covering all aspects of the design process from start to finish. While covering both mobile and web design principles students will practice creative discovery, ideation, critical thinking, research collection, wireframing / prototyping, basic front-end coding and more design best practices. The class will teach students to understand and meet modern web and mobile design standards in the product creation process, from first pondering user centered design and design thinking principles to testing their products on multiple devices and measuring the effectiveness of their designs. Students will also learn design principles such as grid systems, typography, color theory, branding and systems-based design, design history and research methods. By the end of the 13-week course, the new designers will graduate with a well-rounded portfolio of work that shows everything they have learned and can achieve in the workplace. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset. The course will prepare students to step into a variety of design roles: web designer, mobile designer, UX designer, UI designer, front-end designer, freelance designer, and more.
    Prep WorkYes.
  • Web Development After Hours

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    LocationLehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into code without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in coding, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • Web Development Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationLehi, Dallas, Phoenix
    The full-time class is the best immersive coding experience you can find. It's a world-class coding education. It's also a grind--8 or 10 or 12 hour days of instruction, 1:1 mentoring, and work. You'll live, eat, sleep, and breathe code for 12 weeks. And when you're done, you'll be a different person. This class is great for those who are serious about learning to code. If you want to code as a career, this is the place to do it. There's no better place in the country for this price to get nearly two years worth of world-class education.
  • Marcus Brown • Student

I am currently in the iOS immersive cohort and one word that would describe my experience is intense. Coming from absolutely no coding background from even before the program we were learning the basics and expected to cover about 50 hrs of pre-course work. We are in class 40+ hours a week, half of that is instruction and the other is projects that are related to the daily curriculum. Overall its been a GREAT intro into iOS its impossible to cover everything in the 12 weeks but after the program we can build and app and more importantly we learn how to LEARN and use documentation and online resources to solve problems and continue developing as a developer. DevMountain is an excellent way to start the long journey into the coding world.

• Christian R. Monson • Graduate

During my time at DevMountain (12 weeks), I learned enough Objective C to write 3 apps that are now on the app store! I'm confident in my ability to code and to continue my education in computer development. They didn't just teach me the concepts on iOS developing, they taught me how to be resourceful and learn things on my own.

• Dylan Lott • Front End / UI Developer • Graduate

DevMountain is, hands down, the best value you can get for your money. They provide free housing for out of state students, the school environment is awesome, and the mentors were some of the smartest developers I've yet met in my time as a programmer. They had excellent lectures during the learning portion of the class, and then throughout the hands-on and group project time, they had brown bag lectures (optional attendance but highly recommended) that focused on really valuable and applicable topics (e.g. email sending, deployment, encryption, file uploads, etc...). These "brown bag" lectures were some of the msot valuable learning experiences I've yet had and were a real confidence boost because it's where you start to really put all your knowledge and experience together and start understanding high-level concepts as a developer.

I landed a job the following week after I graduated at a startup company and can honestly say it's my dream job, and it's entirely thanks to DevMountain and the team there. They have a staff member dedciated just to helping students and alumni find jobs, and the majority of students in my cohort had jobs within 2 weeks of graduating.

tl:dr 11/10, best money I ever spent and now I have a legit career.

• It's a bootcamp
    - 8/4/2015
    Briant Diehl • Graduate

As a bootcamp, you come in knowing that you're going to feel rushed and overwhelmed.  For being a 12 week course, they do a good job of bringing you from knowing nothing to feeling like you could actually program something.  Sure, there are a lot of things I didn't learn, but they taught me the skills I need to continue learning on my own.  It was a worthwhile experience for me, and It has already paid itself off in the work I've been able to do.

• Kelsy • Graduate

I had been looking into attending a coding bootcamp for the past ~two years, and decided DevMountain was the best fit for a few reasons.

• The curriculum caught my attention because it wasn’t Ruby on Rails (nothing against RoR, I just found the focus on Javascript appealing).
    • I looked up the instructors and watched their talks (Dave Smith is particularly awesome).
    • The price point was reasonable. It was by no means something I took lightly, but was actually feasible.
    • Housing was probably the tipping point in making my decision to go with DevMountain. The rooms were nice, but more importantly, I didn’t have to stress about where I was going to stay. Other programs were around the same price, but finding a temp room on craigslist sounded sketchy at best. With everything you want to focus on, housing shouldn’t be one of them.

The program itself is extremely intense, which I had read from other reviews (for all of the bootcamps), but for some reason didn’t think others’ emphasis on the intensity was accurate (I was wrong). I’ve attended college full-time while working full-time, but this program is by far the most time consuming thing I’ve done. Being in the immersive program allows you to dedicate yourself to learn something new, and I think is the best way to go.

There were highs and lows during the course (sometimes things click right away, other times you feel like an idiot), but not getting discouraged is key. The people in my cohort were awesome and it made the ‘lows’ a lot easier to bounce back from. Find people you get along with and work together. Even if you aren’t actively pair programming, it’s nice to know that you can bounce ideas off of someone.

Summary: Great program / nice housing / awesome people / extremely intense (a description that you probably won’t appreciate until you’re in the program).

DevMtn is a great choice if you are wanting to get into development.  The entrepreneurial community in Provo is amazing!  I had several job offers before I graduated.  This is definitely a worthwhile code school!

• Page • Graduate

When I came to DevMountain I was completely new to coding. I had been waiting tables and teaching fitness classes… I have never been to college either. I was nervous I would be lagging behind in the classes. But No, after the first week it felt like everyone was in the same boat. The work was very challenging but the mentors were there to answers my questions and guide me along.  Now, at the end of the course I am in shock at the amount of knowledge I gained at DevMountain. I now feel confident in my abilities and capable of getting a job.

Some of the things I learned here:

Github

Firebase

MongoDB

A bit of React

REST

One of the reasons I choose DevMountain was the location. It wasn’t SF or NYC… I knew that I would be able to focus on the work in a quieter location. Also, Provo is surrounded by mountains, lakes and a ton of fun places to explore. Environment is everything for me and it has been great.

The town is mostly mormon, which I thought could be a little weird. But besides the fact that everything is closed on Sundays … all is normal, maybe even better than normal.

They include housing for out of states students which is  amazing! The housing, gym, train and closest grocery store are all within a mile away. I didn’t have a car and I was completely ok.

If you have any question feel free to email me. wpagegarner@gmail.com.

Basically, I loved it. One of the best decisions of my life. Its worth the money and time. Do it.

• Leo • Graduate

I learned more in three months at DevMountain than I would have in one year on my own.

The curriculum is on point and the atmosphere is positive. Housing is included and Provo is an easy city to be in. Everything you need is within walking distance.

The atmosphere is positive and the environment is great for learning.

Advice to potential students:

Study before hand. Don't be fooled by the admissions challenge. This course is intense and requires you to study. Spend your time wisely. Always at least pre read the material for the next day. If possible try to get started and the basic things out of the way. The days can be short when working on new and complicated topics.

And finally a cliche advice: find other students who are passionate and eager to learn and study together. There is strength in numbers. Pair program and work on algorythms.

• Tiafau Purcell • Graduate

Neil Armstrong pretty much summed up how I felt after I graduated from the web course.

I was part of the very first cohorts for web (part-time) and iOS (part-time) courses. I came out of the web course with a full-time job and a greater understanding of my capabilities. I was more motivated to make a greater impact with my newly acquired skills. I was more excited to venture out and build startups and products.

I'm happy to say, I'm on a great track all because of my experience at DevMountain. My latest venture is a startup called VerdadTech (www.verdadtech.com).

Thanks to all the instructors and mentors that helped me along the way, especially my friends Cahlan Sharp, Tyler Richards, and Colt Henrie.

Tiafau Purcell (www.tiafaupurcell.me)

• Great Program!
    - 5/1/2015
    Blake Hagen • Graduate

I recently finished the after-hours web-dev course. The instructors are fantastic, the space is great, and the curriculum and community are awesome. I learned a ton, and more importantly, learned how to learn so I can keep up with the latest in the dev-world.

The course is intense and you have to work hard to keep up, but it is so valuable. I 100% recommend DevMountain to anyone looking to learn code and web development.

• Derik Flanary

I had been wanting to enter the coding world for a long time and could never get much done learning on my own. Taking the iOS course from DevMountain changed everything. Having excellent instructors to push me and with a curriculum that not just helped me learn Obj C and iOS principles, but also taught me how to learn so I can continue my education after the class ended. Also, the culture there is fun and very accepting I just loved every minute of it and would suggest DevMountain to everyone.

• Devin • Web Developer | Email marketer • Graduate

I just finished the iOS part time bootcamp. It was a great first step into the objective-C and swift world, and continues to be a great support community.