devmountain-logo

DevMountain

Dallas, Lehi, Online, Phoenix, Provo, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City

DevMountain

DevMountain is a technology school that offers full-time and part-time programs at campuses in Lehi, Dallas, and Phoenix. The immersive courses include iOS Development, Software QA, User Experience Design, and Web Development. The Web track covers front-end and back-end JavaScript (HTML/CSS, jQuery, AngularJS, Node.js, Express, data sources like SQL, Mongo, Firebase). The iOS track covers mobile development in Swift. The UI/UX course covers prototyping, visual/motion design, sketch, adobe suite, UX research, wireframing, and analytical tools. DevMountain instructors are all coding industry professionals and aim to bring real-world applications into the classroom. The immersive courses require 40 to 60 hours of pre-course work, 40 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The part-time programs require 30 to 40 hours of pre-course work, 11 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The school was started in 2013 in Provo, Utah.

The first step to applying for DevMountain bootcamp is to check out the courses and start dates. Once the student has picked a course, they must submit an online application. Next, students speak with a member of the admissions team by phone to further discuss the program. After the phone call, students must complete a challenge to test their knowledge of the course subject matter. Finally, the admissions team will notify students if they qualify for acceptance. DevMountain recommends that students have some exposure to coding before applying.

The goal of the courses at DevMountain it to prepare students to successfully enter these computer focused fields. DevMountain holds events such as a Meet & Hire Employer Lunch and a demo day to help students network and find a job.

DevMountain provides student housing included in the tuition. The furnished apartments are walking distance to the campus. DevMountain education can be financed through a loan and they also provide some educational scholarships.

Recent DevMountain Reviews: Rating 4.65

all (249) reviews for DevMountain →

Recent DevMountain News

Read all (28) articles about DevMountain →
  • iOS Development Immersive

Xcode, Objective-C, Design, Mobile, User Experience Design, iOS, Swift
    Lehi
    Want to build iOS (iPhone/iPad) apps? There is no better place to learn. You'll start building apps on Day 1 of the class, and by the end you'll have at least one app in the App Store (possibly even making you money). Classes are rigorous, and previous programming experience is definitely preferred, but if you're up to the challenge, you can become a great iOS developer with a start in this course.
    DevMountain has partnerships with Climb and SkillsFund.
    Programming experience preferred, beginners welcome
    Once accepted, students must complete pre-course work before first day of class.
  • Software QA Testing Immersive

AngularJS, Git
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    Lehi
    Our 6-week immersive software QA bootcamp will prepare you with the skills needed to become a competitive candidate for junior-level software QA engineer positions. Instruction consists of instructor lectures, guest lecturers, guided projects, individual projects, group projects, and real projects with corporate clients. Students will work collaboratively with the lead instructor and mentors throughout the course. Through experience in specific technologies and frameworks that are popular today, students can achieve a flexible outlook that is comfortable and eager to tackle new technologies in a fast-moving and ever-changing industry.
  • UI/UX Design After Hours

Design, User Experience Design
    Lehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into UX without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • UX Design Immersive

Design, Product Management, User Experience Design
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    Lehi
    If you're a designer, product person, developer, or simply interested in taking a dive into UX (user experience), this class is for you. Our "Immersive" full-time UI/UX course makes the most of class time because we focus on less theory and more hands-on practice. You're probably already doing some UX whether you know it or not and this course will help you give structure to your innate thoughts through industry know how and structured design processes. The design course at DevMountain is multi-faceted, covering all aspects of the design process from start to finish. While covering both mobile and web design principles students will practice creative discovery, ideation, critical thinking, research collection, wireframing / prototyping, basic front-end coding and more design best practices. The class will teach students to understand and meet modern web and mobile design standards in the product creation process, from first pondering user centered design and design thinking principles to testing their products on multiple devices and measuring the effectiveness of their designs. Students will also learn design principles such as grid systems, typography, color theory, branding and systems-based design, design history and research methods. By the end of the 13-week course, the new designers will graduate with a well-rounded portfolio of work that shows everything they have learned and can achieve in the workplace. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset. The course will prepare students to step into a variety of design roles: web designer, mobile designer, UX designer, UI designer, front-end designer, freelance designer, and more.
  • Web Development After Hours

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    Lehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into code without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in coding, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • Web Development Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    Rolling Start Date
    Online, Lehi, Dallas, Phoenix
    The full-time class is the best immersive coding experience you can find. It's a world-class coding education. It's also a grind--8 or 10 or 12 hour days of instruction, 1:1 mentoring, and work. You'll live, eat, sleep, and breathe code for 12 weeks. And when you're done, you'll be a different person. This class is great for those who are serious about learning to code. If you want to code as a career, this is the place to do it. There's no better place in the country for this price to get nearly two years worth of world-class education.

• Great Teachers!!!
    - 10/25/2017
    David Fischer  User Photo
    David Fischer Verified via GitHub

As always there are pluses and minuses about every decision.  I loved my time at DevMountain.  The students and the teachers in particular.  Morning coffee and breakfast on Fridays were huge for the budget conscience among us.

Firstly, I wish I had taken 1 to 2 months working on React, Javascript, and CSS before starting the course.  I felt like I was constantly behind when we hit React and I couldn't catch up.

The guarantee that I could come back t retake the classes is one reason I pushed ahead and didn't take an extra month to study.  Also a huge reason I went with DevMountain was they were so close for me.

OK what could have been better...

I felt like the classses were geared to the fastest learners rather than the middle.  We did no peer programming.  The first two weeks were way too easy and after the third week I never felt like I could catch up... I was putting in 12-16 hour days and it was very draining.  The "job prep" was telling us to find a portfolio template that we liked and write a resume and put it online.  There was help to ensure it looked good and was professional but I wass hoping for a week of mock interviews and whiteboard problems.  I mean maybe the resume is more important but thats not what I was worried about.  I also wish we'd done more projects that were (portfolio worthy but small).

I have only been graduated for 1 week and I feel that once I get my portfolio and resume put together and I begin applying to jobs I will have a better overview of how prepared I am versus "how I feel".  So, the caveat here is that I felt like I wanted to take another 2-4 weeks learning React but ended up deciding to keep pushing through to graduate.  So me not "feeling" ready is also on me because I could have stayed on in another class.  It was MY CHOICE to fly solo a bit early.  I will "audit" a few classes while job hunting and I will continue making projects so if I am interviewing in 2-4 weeks I think thats where I should be.

Also I think they have great job fairs and really work hard for their students there.  I look forward this next step in my career and life.

As I final note I thought seriously about trying to be a mentor/teacher at DevMountain because do think they are a great school.  Also they did some major changes to curriculum on the last few classes so I think they care about being the best.  I heard they have peer programming and I like the way the curriculum is laid out now.  Everyone says it and I'll repeat it.  The squeeky wheel gets the greese, let them know you need help, ask and ye shall recieve... ;) Good luck DevMountain is a great school.  If I can update this I will in a few weeks!

• Paul Adams  User Photo
    Paul Adams • Freelance  Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Twelve-week, 600-coursehour program that taught practical programming skills. Mastered critical competencies such as Cocoa Touch, Xcode, Swift, Objective-C, UI/UX design, architectural patterns, data, SDKs, and debugging. By course end, I published both an individual and a group app on Apple’s App Store.

• spencer  User Photo
    spencer • Self-Employed • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended an after hours web development in Salt Lake City, Ut. I finished the course 6 months ago.

The most concise I can be:

I was self-taught for 3 months before attending the bootcamp (about 20 hours/week.

I worked part-time during the bootcamp putting in about 30 hours/week.

You will learn how to put together web apps, and you will learn the basics of coding. The knowledge is presented well, with lots of practice. I woud've prefered to learn react instead of angularJS, but even with that small criticism the overall 'how-to' knowledge I gained prepared me to continue teaching myself (learning from others), which is what programming and gaining expertise are all about

I reached a competent and comfortable skill level at around 1200 hours of total programming exposure (about 1 year of programming 5 days a week for 20 hours/week). I've learned the most working on larger apps that involve putting many pieces of web-app architecture together (front-end frameworks, backend, hosting, database, testing, error handling... etc).

Attending Dev Mountain's bootcamp accelerated my learning. It was worth the 5k I paid. programming requires hard work and constant exposure and can be done by most anyone (or such is my opinion).

Job assistance has more to do with the quality of work you can show and after hours students must meet certain requirements to obtain some of the same perks as their full time counterparts.

• J. Poemape  User Photo
    J. Poemape • Front-End Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I would highly recommend attending the Web Dev immersive program to kickstart a new career. I had a bachelor's degree in Spanish when I applied to DevMountain, and I had very little coding experience. Now I have a full time job making 3-4 times more than I was before.

The first 6 weeks are very fast-paced and require dedication and scrifice to study and prepare for class. However, the second 6 weeks are possibly even more important than the first. This is when the information and concepts really got cemented into my brain.

If you decide to attend, push yourself. Don't take the easy road for the projects, or you will regret it.

• Russ  User Photo
    Russ • QA Engineer (former) • Student Verified via LinkedIn

DevMountain, as a "technical" bootcamp, is the only bootcamp I've attended but its worked well for me thus far.  Four years worth of college feels like a heavy financial burden for such an expensive "receipt" as I like to call it.  Although most coding/technical bootcamps are not "cheap", I would say that my experience with DevMountain far surpasses any I've had with two or four year universities.

My situation was unique in that I started in the Web Development, but didn't have the enjoyable experience I was hoping for.  It just didn't feel right, even though I was learning a lot.  I eventually asked if I could switch from Web Development to the UX/UI program, and I was SO glad I did.  I absolutely LOVE the content, and the lead instructor for UX/UI (Brandon) is an amazing guy!  He is well versed in the field, and has a deep knowledge and passion for teaching the next generation of UX/UI designers.  The curriculum is solid, and I've learned a lot, but my only complaint (a small preference more than anything) is that some of the tools they use to organize the curriculum feels a little "loose", and unstructured.  For me (not the most naturally organized person), I need more structure on dates/times/due dates, and that for the most part, has gotten me lost on more than one occasion. That aside, I figured out how to work with my weakness and be proactive in making sure I was on top of my own education.

As an additional note, after switching to UX/UI, I became quite ill.  I found out that I had a chronic illness that was the cause of a litany of health problems, and I deferred.  The Student Relations counselors, and the Lead Instructor were very understanding, and allowed me to focus on getting better before I came back.  Now I'm back and I'm grateful for their patience, and DevMountain's ability to have that kind of flexibility.  I consider myself lucky to have gone to DevMountain and dealt with so many caring and professional people.  They have a no-nonsense policy on missing class, but they're still providing me the flexibility I need to finish out my treatments, and still continue to learn and grow from their incredible curriculum.

Many thanks to everyone I've worked with at DevMountain.  I couldn't be more proud to become an Alumni of such an awesome Bootcamp, and professionals that care about my educational pursuits!

• Brennon Schow  User Photo
    Brennon Schow • Mentor • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I'm a completely new person because of DevMountain -- in almost every aspect of my life. DevMountain reinforced the idea that not every company is out to just make money, not every employer is looking for a mindless puppet. Tech is exciting! DevMountain does a really good job of sharing in that excitement, and introducing newbies to it. 10/10 would definitely recommend.

• Life changing
    - 9/14/2017
    Jessica Mitchell  User Photo
    Jessica Mitchell • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

DevMountain was an amazing experience for me, I was looking for a career/life change and it gave me everything I needed to be a successful Web/Software developer. The key was I learned how to learn quickly, but more specifically how I learned personally. My instructor was patient and understanding, as were the mentors; which is great because not only did they complete the bootcamp beforehand, they were also chosen because of their ability to sympathized and understand the struggles that you are going through as a student. The faculty is supportive and will do everything in its power to make sure you are a success, not just in bootcamp, but when you get out into the real world trying to find a job. It's a fantastic community of students and alumni.

DevMountain also makes the process of immersing yourself in the program very seamless, if you are out of state or live far away, housing is provided, which reduces stress on you while you are in the program; money wise. I came in with very little knowledge of the tech field and now I actually work in it as a Software Developer. If you do the work, the assignments, are willing to be frustrated, willing to struggle, willing to do things over and over again and still get them wrong, willing to work with and support your peers, do the entire process all over again, and realize that you will always be learning; you will succeed at DevMountain. I'm where I am in my career because I decided that I was going to work hard and because DevMountain was there to help me every step of the way to get to my end goal. DevMountain's bootcamp experience is all about your drive and what you put in it, nothing is handed to you, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

• Lloyd Grubham  User Photo
    Lloyd Grubham • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The Fulltime web development course at DevMountain is a great spring board into the web development industry. It sometimes feels like you are drinking out of a fire hose, but the information is well presented and reinforeced. For every topic covered in lecture, there is ample time to cover and practice it so the infromation and skills stay.

DevMountain is also always updating their curriculum to meet the job market demands.

Also, in the case that the content of the course becomes overwhelming, there are several options for studying at your own pace and/or starting over at no extra tuition.

• Graduate
    - 8/29/2017
    Ian Schoen  User Photo
    Ian Schoen • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

DevMountain was, by far, the best educational experience I have ever had.  For two years I pursued a Computer Science degree which naturally involved quite a bit of programming.  I loved programming, but nothing that I was learning was applicable in the workforce and I soon realized that I would be in school for another 2 years before I could make anything of it!  I decided to look into bootcamps and shortly thereafter found out about DevMountain.  I considered other schools, but the amazing reviews and the affordability of DevMountain towered above all the others.

I learned more during my time at DevMountain than I did in two years of college.  Heck, I would even say that DevMountain completely changed my life.  I am forever grateful to all the instructors, my mentors, and my classmates.

If you love to code and want to make something out of it, DevMountain is the place for you.

• Micah Bunting  User Photo
    Micah Bunting • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I took the iOS development course at DevMoutain. I learned alot and I have seen others learn as well. The mentors are great and helpfull.

Some of the reasons I wanted to take the class was to have uninterupted time to develop my skills without being iterupted by other priorities. I also wanted the mentorship to help direct me in what I needed to learn. Like most things, you get what you put into it. I definatly took advantage of the time here. Several nights I put in 15 hr days and I feel that I was productive and able to improve my skills.

If you are thinking about starting, I would recommend it. I would also recomment learning the basics of swift before you sign up for the class. There is a lot to learn the first week, but If you know the basics of swift, it will be easier to grasp.

• Zachary Springer  User Photo
    Zachary Springer • DevMountain Mentor • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

DevMountain truly changed my life. Going in I was unsure about what I really wanted to do with my life and felt that I was wandering with no real purpose. While I was there, I learned to work and study hard and I learned to love the process. I'm indebted to DevMountain because I feel that I've truly found my calling and I want to give back in the ways that my mentors did.

• Great experience
    - 7/28/2017
    Daniel S  User Photo
    Daniel S • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    I loved my time at devmountain. Although instructor skills can vary, overall they were really great and the coursework taught me a ton. I found employment a week after graduation, and my life has changed increasingly for the better. A word of advice I'd give to people interested: you need to put in the time before you step foot into class. I probably studied for at least 100 hours going into the course, and I already had exposure to coding before. Once you have the way of thinking down, learning is easy and that's how you'll get the most mileage out of this course.
  • My Results
    - 7/12/2017
    Tim Mitchell  User Photo
    Tim Mitchell • Web Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

My previous review focused on my advice on how to succeed with DevMtn, this review is to share the results. A little over a month after graduation I now have full time web dev job at a great company. I had two other offers of employment besides. So there's a data point for you.

As with all things DevMtn, they give you the tools and support to succeed, and you must employ them tenatiously. The job question is no different.

I believe this review will link to my LinkedIn, please don't hesitate to message me about anything you think I can help you with. At your service.

- 7/9/2017
    Alex Mortensen  User Photo
    Alex Mortensen • Front End Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

DevMountain was awesome. I've never had so much information pumped into my head in such a short amount of time. They have a different method of teaching than colleges that I really like. They pretty much just give you all the tools and resources you need to succeed then the rest is up to you. If you put a lot into it and work hard you will learn a lot and get a lot out of it. If you don't put a lot into it you won't get a lot of of it. The free housing was great for student housing standards. I had 3 job offers a month after I graduated. Two of them I got though Devmountain referrals. Devmountain gives you the perfect environment to become a successful web developer.

• Bernadette St George  User Photo
    Bernadette St George • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    Really disappointing experience with these folks -- they seemed so nice when I was emailing them and talking on the phone with them about attending the web dev immersive program, but when I showed up to start the program I found that the free housing wasn't livable (it had wall-to-wall carpeting throughout the apt, and was so musty and moldy that my boyfriend and I both got migraines from being there for less than an hour). When I explained my dilemma to the housing coordinator, she offered me no help, but merely suggested that I look in the local classifieds -- this was with one day to go before starting the program, and I had nowhere to stay. She even told me that past students had also had allergic reactions to the housing/carpeting. If this was the case, I couldn't (and still can't) understand why they wouldn't simply acquire some better, carpet-free and mold-free housing for their students? (Especially when the free housing is supposedly one of the great things about this school). When I asked if I could get my $750 deposit back, since it was through no fault of my own that I couldn't attend, and because I had given that money in good faith that the housing would be livable, they simply said no, that they needed that money. Ummm....I needed that money too! Especially since I had given up my job and my housing in Boulder in anticipation of being in Provo for 3 months, and have lost a *lot* more money than that from taking such a gamble on Devmountain. When I asked them if they would test for mold, and told them about really reliable mold tests like the ERMI and HERTSMI tests, they instead just got a super-cheap and unreliable test that only tested for 2 types of mold, when there are 7 types that are super-toxic for humans. I still can't believe how awful the whole thing was, and how as an organization they have no policies in place to address situations like this -- the way they acted like their moldy housing was somehow my fault was incredibly unfair and unjust. There are so many great web dev bootcamps out there -- please don't waste your time going here!

Response From: Cahlan Sharp of DevMountain
    Title: CEO
    Friday, Jul 07 2017
    Hi Bernadette,

We understand the sacrifices our students make to go through our program and so when expectations aren't met, we don't take that lightly.

We also don't want to get into a back and forth on the details of what happened here, because we believe our housing team went above and beyond to accommodate your needs, and it seems that the only resolution you'd be satisfied with is a full refund of your deposit, which goes against our policies. Our staff does everything within their power to resolve concerns, but to be fair to all our students, we have to stand by our policies.

As one of the highest rated bootcamps in the country, we stand by the quality of our program and our student housing. Consistently, the feedback we get on our free housing is that it is not only livable but exceeds our students' expectations.

We would still love to resolve your situation and help you reach your goal to become a developer. You can always transfer your course deposit to a future cohort or DevMountain Campus. Please reach out to us by contacting admin@devmountain.com.
  • Chelsea Adamson  User Photo
    Chelsea Adamson • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I jumped into this because I wasn't happy in my current career and I had a love for Design. After 10 weeks of school and only 2 weeks left I needed to get out and see some real life UX Designers in action before applying for any jobs.  I was able to get a chance to shadow a previous DevMountain mentor.  During my time shadowing they decided to interview me. I was not prepared one bit which they were aware of but I was able to show them everything I had learned at DevMountain and what projects I had completed.  Later that day the company called and gave me an offer.  I scored an amazing job because of what DevMountain had taught me. I was able to double my income in 10 weeks and get a job offer before school was even over. I didn't start the job until school ended so I was able to complete the course (which I would recommend everyone to finish the course even if you have a job offer). Even within the two weeks left of class it was a continuous learning experience. DevMountain makes going to school fun and they do an amazing at preparing you for your next job and even unplanned interviews.

• David Mayes  User Photo
    David Mayes • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Initially I wanted to do the immersive course, but with supporting a family, it wasn't an option at the time. Even though I knew going into the DevMountain after hours course that they didn't offer job assistance, I was still determined to land a dev job afterwards.

Knowing that this was my best shot at gaining enough knowledge/experience to land a dev job, I gave it everything that I had. I spent 30+ hours every week coding on top of the full time job that I had. When I was in class, I always tried to ask every question that I thought would help benefit my learning experience (I had a super sharp mentor who was also able to answer every question that I came up with. That alone made DevMountain worth the money). When I was out of class, I was either watching the lectures (I would say I watched most lectures twice before class so I wouldn't forget it) or building an application. I think there was a total of two days in the whole 16 weeks that I didn't turn on my computer to code something. I cannot reiterate how much of an impact constantly building applications that incorporated all of my current knowledge made (I tried to build a full application every weekend that included everything we had learned up to that time). That helped me to easily remember all of the HTML/CSS stuff from the beginning. I also planned ahead, I looked at the course outline and thought of what I wanted to do for my end project. That way when it came, I wasn't wasting time on coming up with ideas, but I already had my designs drawn up so that I could get right to coding.

In the end it completely paid off. DevMountain was worth every bit of the time that I put into it. Two weeks after I had finished DevMountain, I received three different offers for web developer positions. I don't think that is typical for part-time students, but if you put the time and work into it, it's definitely possible.

I'm not sure if the curriculum has changed since I took their course, but the only improvement that I think they could make would be to focus more on a newer front-end framework such as React/Redux or Angular4. A lot of the jobs that are being listed now are asking for a more component based framework. Luckily the company that hired me on is giving me some time to get up to speed on Angular4.

With all that being said, I could not be happier with my decision to go through the DevMountain after hours course. I finally found what I love to do, and I get paid to do it! I continually recommend it to everyone that asks.

• Allen Vawdrey  User Photo
    Allen Vawdrey • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I went to DevMountain just over 2 years ago.  I took the Web Part Time course and loved it.  It also helped me get my first programming job. I have continued with my education and recently graduated from UVU with a BS in Computer Science. I would like to give back to DevMountain what they gave me.

• Do your homework
    - 5/31/2017
    Tim Mitchell  User Photo
    Tim Mitchell • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

If you are not doing pre-class work, there's a huge chance you're doing it wrong and wasting your time and money.  Sometimes it's unclear how to prepare best for the next day.  Ask.  You're confused?  Take a deep breath and remind yourself that there is no better way to feel than confused.  It means you are learning, even if it doesn't feel like it.  You're carving a toe hold in the mountain and soon you will be able to use it to progress to the next steop.  Calmly soldier on, and when there is time, DO as much as you can.  As in, make the file, code it, tinker with it, do it.

You'll notice instructors have only 4 stars.  I only want to highlight the difference that I personally felt in the instruction style and calliber.  It innitially turned me off, but I wonder if in reality it is better to have variety in instructors; it mimicks the real world.  Anyway, one tacit or perhaps explicit thing that they teach at devMtn and that I will tell you is that you can't expect the instructor to blow your mind and transform you into a developer.  I would say, you need to do the homework, then come to class with questions and an open mind, absorb, ask, solidify.  You have to be able to contribute something at all points, in all interactions, in all lectures.  If you gamble and think, 'I'll just go to class and this instructor is going to solve all my problems for me and inject me with great coding abilities'...that's wrong most of the time.

• Sterling Chin  User Photo
    Sterling Chin • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

After researching dozens of coding boot camps, both online and immersive, I narrowed the field to about half a dozen, visited each of the campuses and after carefully weighing the options, decided to attend DevMountain.

Coming to DevMountain was the BEST.DECISION.EVER.

Attending a boot camp is not easy!  Don't kid yourself when you think that putting in 9-5 for a few months is going to get you a job offer. You will get out what you put in.  Late nights, early mornings and tons of coding and studying!

One of the strengths of DevMountain is the staff.  The instructors, guest lecturers, and mentors are all there to help!  Relying on them for help was key to my success.  But they don't hold your hand.  I was expected to do my research before asking help.  My mentors were really good about pointing me in the right direction, showing me where to find the right documentation or teaching me how to ask the right questions.

More than anything, leaving DevMountain gave me the confidence to learn something new quickly.  Prior to DevMountain, I worked in real estate and construction.  I had never coded before in my life.  The skills and network you gain from DevMountain are worth more than just the cost of admissions.

After graduating, I stayed on as a mentor for the next cohort of students.  I got a chance to pull back the curtain and see the boot camp from 'other side.'  Not only did I see the care that goes into the lectures, but I also saw the commitment of the staff.  It isn't just the teachers that have your back, it is everyone.

Now?  I just received my first official job offer as a Software Engineer!  Thank you DevMountain for everything!  You've changed my life and helped me give my family a better future!

BEST.DECISION.EVER.

• Raleigh  User Photo
    Raleigh • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

DevMountain provides a high quality education that will teach you all the basics you need to know in order to build full-stack JavaScript applications. Currently they are a little behind, teaching Angular 1, where it would be nice if they were teaching either React or Angular 2. After graduating, most of the job postings I found were looking for React experience.

As for job assistance, I was pretty dissapointed. On all their social media posts and at the beginning of the program, they made it seem like DevMountain had a great network that you can utilize to get a job. The only jobs that were suggested by DevMountain were either internships or tech support jobs. Just expect to do all the job hunt on your own. This would have been fine if DevMountain had not set such high expectations.

Overall, I loved the program and loved learning from great teachers. The hands on, real world experience is great. But just be aware that they sugar coat a lot of things when trying to sell the program.

• Matthew French  User Photo
    Matthew French • Senior Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I went through a number of career changes in my life searching for something that suited me perfectly.  I started in law, finding the industry to be draining and largely unfulfilling for me.  From there I spent several years in copywriting, and though I loved the freedom of freelancing, I needed something a little more consistent.  It was at this juncture in my life that some friends of mine, who had graduated from DevMountain and found jobs shortly thereafter, advised me to check it out -- and it was one of the best decisions of my life.

The pace and curriculum at DevMountain are challenging, make no mistake. The intensive program is something you have to fully commit to.  It's more than a job -- it's a daily routine.  I worked my rear off while I was a student at DevMountain, pouring through the material, absorbing all of their resources and practice exercises like a sponge, and in the end it really paid off.

By 6 weeks I went from knowing nothing about code to independently developing my own full-stack web applications (front-end design and back end server functionality).  By 9 weeks I was leading a group of student developers on a team project, and by the end of the 12-week program I had two polished portfolio pieces to display to employers, and an impressive amount of coding knowledge.

I was asked to stay on as a Mentor, and spent another 3 months at DevMountain helping to instruct new students in the material I had just sought to master.  In the last month of my time as a mentor, I began the job search, and found a position as a web developer working in React/Node/SQL within three weeks.

I'm not saying my results are universal, but many, perhaps even most of the graduates I know of have found jobs within a month or two, and most of those with mentoring experience find jobs even faster. Employers love teaching experience.

But what about the material itself?  Well, coding is an act of creation.  Have you ever been using an app and thought "Boy, i really wish it did this thing, or did that other thing better", or just wished a program existed at all that could perform a function you needed at any given time?  Coding lets you do that.  You can sit down and just make a functional application that can do anything -- literally anything you need or can think of.  It's an incredibly empowering and gratifying feeling to know how to code.

If you are looking for a career change into a secure, exciting, and growing industry, DevMountain is the educational program for you.

• Samer
    - 2/15/2017
    I love DevMountain  User Photo
    I love DevMountain • Front-End engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

DevMountain changed my life, before DevMountain, I used to work nightshift at Walmart (9$ per hour). I had no programing experience, I was given a scholarship that covers tuition fees by DevMountain, It was the best experience that I've ever had in my life, they have super smart teaching methods, they know how to modify their teaching strategies according to the particular students, subject matter, and learning environment.
    I would highly recommend it, great environment, you won't regret this decision if you APPLY.

• Jefferson Snow  User Photo
    Jefferson Snow • Junior Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The only regret I have about DevMountain is not doing it sooner. I'm over thirty and just a few months ago I was thinking that I'd be stuck in sales forever. Thanks to some friends, I heard about DevMountain and the rest is history.

I had no prior coding experience before being exposed to their pre-course work but I was able to push through. It is hard. The first two weeks are especially tough. You've heard of drinking from a firehose? This was like drinking from a tsunami. I was so overwhelmed I thought I would have to drop out. But after talking to other students, I found out that they were in the exact same boat and I wasn't alone. At that point I chose not to give in to the overwhelming amount stuff to understand. Instead I chose to push forward, understanding and doing what I could while telling myself that all the stuff I didn't understand would make sense later. It wasn't until the last couple weeks of the course, but eventually everything did click together. I go back and look at the projects we did at the beginning of the class and everything falls into place.

DevMountain really focuses on learning through building. You spend about 3 hours of your day in lecture and then about 5 hours building something using the principles you covered in lecture. Expect to put in an extra 4 hours on top of the 9 to 5 to finish the projects as well as do your readings for the next day's lecture. The instructors, for the most part, are awesome. My main instructor had more than 10 years of experience in development and he really had a gift for presenting the infomation in a digestable way. They also bring in DevMountain grads from companies around the valley who come in and lecture on technologies that they use in the industry. I learned more about WebDevelopment in these 3 months than I learned about advertising with my 4-year college degree.

The social aspect is great as well. Going through a bootcamp forges bonds between students in a way that few other places can. I have met people that I will stay in touch with for a long time to come.

As far as employment goes, I graduated less than a month ago and I've already taken an offer from a local tech company here in Utah County. The curriculum at DevMountain really helped me learn the technologies this company works in so it was a perfect fit.

I don't want to sound like I drank the kool-aid, but I credit DevMountain with changing my life. In three months I learned enough to start in an industry where I can eventually make 6 figures vs the mid-5 figures I would struggle to make using my degree. I can't recommend DevMountain enough.