devmountain-logo

Devmountain

Atlanta, Dallas, Lehi, Online, Phoenix, Provo, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City

Devmountain

Devmountain is a technology school that offers full-time and part-time programs at campuses in Lehi, Dallas, and Phoenix. The immersive courses include iOS Development, Software QA, User Experience Design, and Web Development. The Web track covers front-end and back-end JavaScript (HTML/CSS, jQuery, AngularJS, Node.js, Express, data sources like SQL, Mongo, Firebase). The iOS track covers mobile development in Swift. The UI/UX course covers prototyping, visual/motion design, sketch, adobe suite, UX research, wireframing, and analytical tools. Devmountain instructors are all coding industry professionals and aim to bring real-world applications into the classroom. The immersive courses require 40 to 60 hours of pre-course work, 40 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The part-time programs require 30 to 40 hours of pre-course work, 11 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The school was started in 2013 in Provo, Utah.

The first step to applying for Devmountain bootcamp is to check out the courses and start dates. Once the student has picked a course, they must submit an online application. Next, students speak with a member of the admissions team by phone to further discuss the program. After the phone call, students must complete a challenge to test their knowledge of the course subject matter. Finally, the admissions team will notify students if they qualify for acceptance. Devmountain recommends that students have some exposure to coding before applying.

Recent Devmountain Reviews: Rating 4.6

all (282) reviews for Devmountain →

Recent Devmountain News

Read all (33) articles about Devmountain →
  • iOS Development Immersive

Xcode, Objective-C, Design, Mobile, User Experience Design, iOS, Swift
    LocationLehi
    Want to build iOS (iPhone/iPad) apps? There is no better place to learn. You'll start building apps on Day 1 of the class, and by the end you'll have at least one app in the App Store (possibly even making you money). Classes are rigorous, and previous programming experience is definitely preferred, but if you're up to the challenge, you can become a great iOS developer with a start in this course.
    Minimum Skill LevelProgramming experience preferred, beginners welcome
    Prep WorkOnce accepted, students must complete pre-course work before first day of class.
  • Software QA Testing Immersive

AngularJS, Git, Quality Assurance Testing
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    LocationLehi
    Our 6-week immersive software QA bootcamp will prepare you with the skills needed to become a competitive candidate for junior-level software QA engineer positions. Instruction consists of instructor lectures, guest lecturers, guided projects, individual projects, group projects, and real projects with corporate clients. Students will work collaboratively with the lead instructor and mentors throughout the course. Through experience in specific technologies and frameworks that are popular today, students can achieve a flexible outlook that is comfortable and eager to tackle new technologies in a fast-moving and ever-changing industry.
    Devmountain has partnerships with SkillsFund and Climb Credit
  • UI/UX Design After Hours

Design, User Experience Design
    LocationLehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into UX without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • UX Design Immersive

Design, Product Management, User Experience Design
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    LocationLehi
    If you're a designer, product person, developer, or simply interested in taking a dive into UX (user experience), this class is for you. Our "Immersive" full-time UI/UX course makes the most of class time because we focus on less theory and more hands-on practice. You're probably already doing some UX whether you know it or not and this course will help you give structure to your innate thoughts through industry know how and structured design processes. The design course at DevMountain is multi-faceted, covering all aspects of the design process from start to finish. While covering both mobile and web design principles students will practice creative discovery, ideation, critical thinking, research collection, wireframing / prototyping, basic front-end coding and more design best practices. The class will teach students to understand and meet modern web and mobile design standards in the product creation process, from first pondering user centered design and design thinking principles to testing their products on multiple devices and measuring the effectiveness of their designs. Students will also learn design principles such as grid systems, typography, color theory, branding and systems-based design, design history and research methods. By the end of the 13-week course, the new designers will graduate with a well-rounded portfolio of work that shows everything they have learned and can achieve in the workplace. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset. The course will prepare students to step into a variety of design roles: web designer, mobile designer, UX designer, UI designer, front-end designer, freelance designer, and more.
    Prep WorkYes.
  • Web Development After Hours

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    LocationLehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into code without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in coding, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • Web Development Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationLehi, Dallas, Phoenix
    The full-time class is the best immersive coding experience you can find. It's a world-class coding education. It's also a grind--8 or 10 or 12 hour days of instruction, 1:1 mentoring, and work. You'll live, eat, sleep, and breathe code for 12 weeks. And when you're done, you'll be a different person. This class is great for those who are serious about learning to code. If you want to code as a career, this is the place to do it. There's no better place in the country for this price to get nearly two years worth of world-class education.
  • Amazing Experience
    - 5/26/2017
    Matthew Langford • Graduate

After spending hours researching bootcamps in the area and ones that were teaching the most relevant frameworks and libraries, I chose Devmountain. Me and two of my brothers signed up together and we really gave it our all. I had some prior coding experience from college and both of my brothers have never coded before, so I had a little edge going in and after the first few weeks, It felt like we were all near the same level.

My advice to anyone thinking of attending. Just dive in and don't look back, fair warning though, If you want to succeed at this boot camp you have to go all in, we were there 10-11 hours a day 5 days a week and coding at home on the weekends. It wasn't hard to do because the instructors are very motivating and the mentors are very good at helping you figure out the solution together, rather than simply giving you the answers.

If you want all in results you have to give all in effort, it's that simple.

I am working in the industry already, my younger brother is interviewing like crazy, and my other brother graduates in 2 weeks. Hands down, best decision ever.

• Fantastic!
    - 5/23/2017
    Corey McGarr • Graduate

Anyone looking to begin their journey into web development should seriously consider DevMountain. The staff is top-knotch and the curriculum is designed to cram the highest possible amount of learning and topics into a very short period of time.

It is not an easy course, and you will be expected to take initiative and actively engage with the content EVERY DAY, but you will get out what you put into it. The format of the course works if you are serious about learning.

I would recommend DevMountain to anyone.

• Put in the work
    - 5/23/2017
    Tyson Taylor • Freelance Web Developer • Graduate

My experience at DevMountain was fantastic. I met some great people, some of my closest friends have come out of my bootcamp experience. There is plenty of opportunity for questions and mentorship. The leadership is top-notch. This isn't a free pass into a new career. No bootcamp can guarantee you success in finding a job. Your success is directly correlated with the amount of effort you put into your pre-course preparations. Do the work, do extra work. You should be coming into a bootcamp experience with a solid grasp of the fundamentals.

• Cameron • Graduate

This was a great opportunity for me to make a career change. I was working 50+ hours in the finance industry on a career path I didn't want to pursue.

Dev Mountain gave me a second life. I am in an industry that I love, doing what I love every day.

• Worth it
    - 5/2/2017
    Matt Mecham • Graduate

As a bootcamp they teach you how to work hard.  I learned more life and career lessons from these past 3 months than I ever did from my bachelor's degree.

• Ryan Colton • Javascript Developer

I graduated from Dev Mountain at the end of March of this year and had a job offer within two weeks. The program is awesome if you put the time and effort in to get the most of what they have to offer. Most days I was putting in between 10 and 12 hours studying and working on projects, but it pays off. I highly recommend going to dev mountain, but be ready to work like crazy if you want to get results.

• Fantastic Decision
    - 4/21/2017
    sbelding • UX Designer • Graduate

I enrolled in the Immersive UX Design program at DevMountain's Salt Lake City location. At the time, I was living in the Bay Area and moving to Salt Lake for this course was a huge decision. The fact that it was going to be their first full time cohort gave me a little pause, but after corresponding with the enrollment staff and looking into their curriculum I decided to go for it. I just graduated and can honestly say it was one of the best decisions I've made for myself! The program was fast and intese, but incredibly thorough. My instructor Brandon Beecroft was absolutely phenomenal and was able to somehow be the best teacher each one of us needed. We had plenty of help when we needed it, and plenty of autonomy to do our own work. While I do have a background in research, I haven't had much background in design but it wasn't necessary for this course and I'm pumped about the possibilities moving forward. You don't get a grade or any type of certification at the end, but the portfolio you create during the course serves as proof of the skills you've developed.

After graduating just 3 weeks ago I've already gotten job offers. I credit that to the awesome mentors and connections our teacher helped us to leverage, and the training we got from Meaghan on how to build effective resumes and LinkedIn profiles. For anyone considering make a career change, I'd highly recommend DevMountain.

• Kevin • Website Administrator • Graduate

Quick Back Story

I want to start this story with full disclosure and a note for anyone out there who is reading this and has ever thought, "im not smart enough for this" or something to the like. because I myself have thought that before, and sometimes, i still do. But i want you to know that I attended Devmountain to change my life, and it helped me do just that.

I went into this school with 2 weeks of coding experience. TWO WEEKS, people. In retrospect, i probably should've studied a little longer and maybe had a tad more time under my belt before applying but i didnt, and i succeeded, so oh well to that thought.

The Curriculum

They have a lot of ground to cover in your short, 12 week stay, and you feel it. The content is very fast paced and sometimes you'll feel pretty overwhelmed. Sorry if i'm scaring you, what i'm trying to say is that you need to want this for yourself. This can't just be a "skill" you're just going to learn and put in your back pocket for future use. I mean i'm sure you want this if you've already applied and paid for the course.

The reason i bring up the difficulty is that I wasn't entirely aware of how hard this was going to be, I'm an average joe whos never coded before and by the time i was only a few weeks in I was able to write basic apps using Angluar, jQuery, Javascript, CSS and HTML. It was all very cool to me. By 6 weeks we were all able to write somewhat more advanced apps using more advanced tools like NodeJS, and SQL. I wasn't the best in my course, nor was I the smartest but I did ok because i wanted it, and because I had people to lean on. Which brings me to my next point.

The Teachers and Staff

The teachers and staff at Devmountain are the most memorable to me. They're thorough, they're caring and they're blunt. Which you need sometimes. If you're not doing so well you dont want someone just telling you you're doing fine to be nice. You want your moneys worth! and thats where they really shine, they will tell you when you're doing something wrong or inefficiently and present you with a better way, or give you advice on things to read, or practice. They're supportive and kind. When I felt like i wasnt getting it, or i wasnt smart enough someone would come along side me and pick me up. It was the kind of comfort I needed to make it through the process when i was filled with doubts.

I deeply enjoyed the help and guidance i received while attending Devmountain.

Outro

Devmountain is tough, but because i wanted to succeed, and i wanted to learn, i did. Devmountain changed my life and gave me a career i can finally be proud of. I left Devmountain on December 16th with experience and knowsledge to show employers that I was worth there time, and guess what? I had a job by January.

DevMountain was the best decision I have ever made, It was hard, and my whole family had to sacrifice to get me there. But I'm in a place now that I could never have reached without the experience and skills that i acquired at that school.

• Wonderful School
    - 2/22/2017
    Geordyn • Front End Developer • Graduate

I went to DevMountain in Provo, UT (Nov '15) because I wanted little to no distractions in my learning environment. It was the best decision I ever made. The instructors were amazing! S/O to Jeremy! And the mentors were unbelievably helpful - most of them would stay late and help out, off the clock. That is something all of us were so thankful for. They went out of their way to make sure we understood the cirriculum.

There is also free housing. You do have to pay a housing deposit, but you get it back once the cohort ends. The housing was so comfy and great - especially if you're a girl, because you most likely get your own room since almost no girls attend. When I attended the school, there was a total of 4 girls, and only three of us lived in the housing.

DevMountain needs more girls!

The school is in an old candy factory and it's absolutely beautiful. I love older buildings - so much character.

DevMountain provides free soda and coffee, as well as free breakfast every Friday.

Some guest instructors were questionable, and not very good. But our lead instructor always made sure we went over the material if we didnt like the guest instructor.

The Job assistance is one of those things: If you do not ask, you shall not receive. You have to be active in your job search. Nobody is going to throw a job in your lap, and I think some people expected that. Not sure why. But Jeff worked extrememly hard to get everybody 'job-ready.' And there are constant postings in the #Jobs devmtn slack channel. Jeff has also gone out of his way to get people interviews and introduce employers to students he think would be a good fit for the company.

Sometimes the ciriculum was a little all over the place, but I liked it. I only rate it as a 4 star because we werent being taught backend technologies that companies around us were using (really just the Database). At the time, we were taught MongoDB, but they do not have the same ciriculum today. Today it is better ciriculum.

There are a lot of perks going to DevMountain at any location, but I have worked at two of their locations, and Provo, UT is by far my favorite atmosphere.

• Shea Close • Student

Attending DevMountain, I had pretty much zero coding experience. I had played around with some HTML and CSS in my younger days, but had never written a line of JavaScript code. I am, by my nature, a skeptical person, and the idea of 13 weeks being enough time to prepare me for a career in tech was difficult to believe. Thankfully, I had friends who have done it, and encouraged me to try. I'm glad I did.

I constantly see people, when talking about their code-camp experience, say things along the lines of "you get out of it, what you put in". If it is a cliché, it is so for a reason. I am as good an example of that as any. I completed DevMountain 17 weeks after I wrote my first line of code, and had a job in less than 3 weeks after that. I had no experience and no proficiency beforehand. All I had was a positive attitude, a willingness to learn, and put I in the work. DevMountain provided the guidance and curriculum to take me the rest of the way.

Along those lines, my only advice to anyone looking to attend DevMountain, is be prepared to WORK. It's called a boot-camp for a reason. DevMountain is intense, but it has to be. There is just so much to learn, but if you are willing to work your butt off, you CAN do it. It's the best decision I've ever made, and I would (and have) recommended it to anyone looking to get a start in the tech industry.

• Aaron M. • Graduate

I was looking for a place to learn the skills I'd need to start a new career. I didn't want to just dabble in learing iOS development. What attracted me to Devmountain was the hands on/action oriented curriculum. Starting with the pre-course materials and from day 1 of class, we started building apps. They have a great mixture of "theory" and application. I was also excited to learn that I'd be shipping 2 apps to the app store during the program. It is a very fast paced program with a lot of material to cover so it takes a lot of focus and hard work. Overall a great experience!

• Amazing Course.
    - 2/4/2017
    Cody B. • Graduate

DevMountain was exactly what I needed. The part time class is very obviously less time than the full time class. The full time students I talked to on campus were there all day every day putting in a mountain of hours. I wish I could of done that, but I can't leave my current job right now to enroll in a full-time class. But the part time class is less than half the price as well so I think a part time student's time with mentors and teachers correlate exactly with the pricing. The time I did have in class with teachers and mentors is great, and they do a good job of explaining concepts clearly. They have a lot of great information and they really know their stuff. I would have liked to see more structure to what is taught through the videos. For those that don't know, alot of concepts are taught previous to class through videos, and then it is taught and worked on in class. I didn't feel like there was a lot of time preparing and thinking about exactly how to teach through the videos. But I heard they are redoing the videos right now because of many students leaving feedback on the videos. But I really appreciated that the mentors and teachers knew their stuff and are very willing to help in class. Thanks to DevMountain, I am taking on contracted work while still at my previous job (at a startup). I help business development at my company but put in 20+ hours into development through my contracted work every week. My plan is to eventually transition into development as a career or at my own startup one day. My experience was definitely positive.