devmountain-logo

Devmountain

Atlanta, Dallas, Lehi, Online, Phoenix, Provo, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City

Devmountain

Devmountain is a technology school that offers full-time and part-time programs at campuses in Lehi, Dallas, and Phoenix. The immersive courses include iOS Development, Software QA, User Experience Design, and Web Development. The Web track covers front-end and back-end JavaScript (HTML/CSS, jQuery, AngularJS, Node.js, Express, data sources like SQL, Mongo, Firebase). The iOS track covers mobile development in Swift. The UI/UX course covers prototyping, visual/motion design, sketch, adobe suite, UX research, wireframing, and analytical tools. Devmountain instructors are all coding industry professionals and aim to bring real-world applications into the classroom. The immersive courses require 40 to 60 hours of pre-course work, 40 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The part-time programs require 30 to 40 hours of pre-course work, 11 hours of class per week, and 10 to 20 hours of work outside of the classroom. The school was started in 2013 in Provo, Utah.

The first step to applying for Devmountain bootcamp is to check out the courses and start dates. Once the student has picked a course, they must submit an online application. Next, students speak with a member of the admissions team by phone to further discuss the program. After the phone call, students must complete a challenge to test their knowledge of the course subject matter. Finally, the admissions team will notify students if they qualify for acceptance. Devmountain recommends that students have some exposure to coding before applying.

Recent Devmountain Reviews: Rating 4.61

all (267) reviews for Devmountain →

Recent Devmountain News

Read all (30) articles about Devmountain →
  • iOS Development Immersive

Xcode, Objective-C, Design, Mobile, User Experience Design, iOS, Swift
    LocationLehi
    Want to build iOS (iPhone/iPad) apps? There is no better place to learn. You'll start building apps on Day 1 of the class, and by the end you'll have at least one app in the App Store (possibly even making you money). Classes are rigorous, and previous programming experience is definitely preferred, but if you're up to the challenge, you can become a great iOS developer with a start in this course.
    Minimum Skill LevelProgramming experience preferred, beginners welcome
    Prep WorkOnce accepted, students must complete pre-course work before first day of class.
  • Software QA Testing Immersive

AngularJS, Git
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    LocationLehi
    Our 6-week immersive software QA bootcamp will prepare you with the skills needed to become a competitive candidate for junior-level software QA engineer positions. Instruction consists of instructor lectures, guest lecturers, guided projects, individual projects, group projects, and real projects with corporate clients. Students will work collaboratively with the lead instructor and mentors throughout the course. Through experience in specific technologies and frameworks that are popular today, students can achieve a flexible outlook that is comfortable and eager to tackle new technologies in a fast-moving and ever-changing industry.
  • UI/UX Design After Hours

Design, User Experience Design
    LocationLehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into UX without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • UX Design Immersive

Design, Product Management, User Experience Design
    In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week
    LocationLehi
    If you're a designer, product person, developer, or simply interested in taking a dive into UX (user experience), this class is for you. Our "Immersive" full-time UI/UX course makes the most of class time because we focus on less theory and more hands-on practice. You're probably already doing some UX whether you know it or not and this course will help you give structure to your innate thoughts through industry know how and structured design processes. The design course at DevMountain is multi-faceted, covering all aspects of the design process from start to finish. While covering both mobile and web design principles students will practice creative discovery, ideation, critical thinking, research collection, wireframing / prototyping, basic front-end coding and more design best practices. The class will teach students to understand and meet modern web and mobile design standards in the product creation process, from first pondering user centered design and design thinking principles to testing their products on multiple devices and measuring the effectiveness of their designs. Students will also learn design principles such as grid systems, typography, color theory, branding and systems-based design, design history and research methods. By the end of the 13-week course, the new designers will graduate with a well-rounded portfolio of work that shows everything they have learned and can achieve in the workplace. This class is great for those who are interested in UX, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset. The course will prepare students to step into a variety of design roles: web designer, mobile designer, UX designer, UI designer, front-end designer, freelance designer, and more.
    Prep WorkYes.
  • Web Development After Hours

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    LocationLehi
    Our "After Hours" course is a great way to dive into code without having to quit your job or school. It's still extremely intense, but allows for a more flexible format. Classes are held nights and weekends. This class is great for those who are interested in coding, need some skills to better their employment options, or simply learn a new skillset.
  • Web Development Immersive

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationLehi, Dallas, Phoenix
    The full-time class is the best immersive coding experience you can find. It's a world-class coding education. It's also a grind--8 or 10 or 12 hour days of instruction, 1:1 mentoring, and work. You'll live, eat, sleep, and breathe code for 12 weeks. And when you're done, you'll be a different person. This class is great for those who are serious about learning to code. If you want to code as a career, this is the place to do it. There's no better place in the country for this price to get nearly two years worth of world-class education.
    Devmountain has partnerships with SkillsFund and Climb Credit

After both graduating from a univeristy with a degree in finance and going through 'intensive' training for work at a global investment bank, I was looking for a different type of learning experience -- one that is personal enough for me to recognize my individual talent and also stretch what I thought I was capable of learning in 12 weeks. DevMountain can do that for you. I wouldn't start a career in software development any other way.

• Kaleo Kim

I wanted to start a career and also learn how to code about 7 months ago.  I started some online course but that was not working for me.  I heard about bootcamps and I started researching.  after looking at over two schools I ended up choosing DevMountain.  I just finished in march in their immersive Web Dev.

It was one of the best choices that I have made as far as education and a career choice goes.  I had absolutely zore experience in coding (besides about 15 minutes of teamtree house).  Now I feel like I can have a career in coding.  The curriculum is awesome and intense.  I learned a ton! and I feel like I still know how to learn and where to to for resources for writing web apps.

I liked it so much and would reccomend this to anyone! who wants to learn how to code no matter what your background is in.  I also liked it so much that I will be doing their IOS course as well!!

• Mark Perkins • Graduate

Changing careers shortly after finishing graduate school was difficult for me. I had committed to a career in marketing, so changing to web app development was hard. I'm very happy I did and I believe that DevMountain has been integral in kickstarting my transition. The education curriculum was very challenging, but not unreasonable. The instructors and mentors were top-notch and of the highest caliber. The learning environment, culture and students were second to none. Not only did I really enjoy my time there, but I learned far more than I believe I would have had I pursued a more conventional route.

• Barbara Liau • Graduate

Choosing to attend DevMountain's Web Development Immersive Course was one of the best decisions I've made. I had grown frustrated with the jobs that I had had and wanted to go into a career that was more challenging. Coding came to mind, and one thing led to another and I soon found myself looking at bootcamps and trying to figure out which one would be the best for me. At the time, DevMountain did not offer an immersive course, so I had not initially considered them. However, I heard about their immersive course a day after the first cohort started, and then added them onto my list of bootcamps I wanted to attend. After much research, I ultimately decided that DevMountain was going to be the best choice for me and went for it -- super solid choice.

I have learned so much since day 1. We've covered HTML/CSS, Javascript, Angular, Node, MongoDB, Firebase, Parse, React. The instructors and mentors were fantastic and provided me with the resources I needed to succeed. I was pushed and challenged and felt like I had a good balance of struggling to learn on my own and getting help when I couldn't figure it out.

In addition to the curriculum and learning from instructors/mentors, I also made a lot of close friends and was able to draw on the knowledge of my fellow classmates to add to mine. The atmosphere of the school is very welcoming and you can tell that everyone here is on your side and wants you to succeed. There were lots of opportunities to network and meet people in the field as well. It's a great learning environment and one that I'm incredibly glad I had the chance to be a part of. At the end of the 12 weeks I was able to build my own web applications, work as part of a group, and also have the confidence and ability to continue to learn and grow on my own.

Other benefits include transportation pass, free housing (if you're from out of the area), free recreational facility pass, 24/7 access to the facilities so you can work long into the night if you want, X-Boxes to get your mind off of coding, ping pong table, foosball table...it's pretty great.

If you're on the fence of going to a bootcamp, you should definitely take the leap and go for it! DevMountain offers part-time courses if you can't take the immersive course, but if you can, I can't recommend it enough.

• Good and fast
    - 4/21/2015

DevMountain is a great way to get a head start in a career change. The teach you the basics and recognize this is a new career direction for you and help motivate you to work and make the change. The instructors are very nice and helpful and have different experiences to help you learn the material.

I felt like the pace was maybe too fast at the beginning for inexperienced programmers/developers and then slowed down a lot for project time with some instruction on topics a little too advanced with where we were at. We'd probably be more prepared if our foundations were a little stronger in the first 6 weeks of material rather than continuously adding more. There is a lot of focus on project time and practicing which is really good and helps give you a lot of confidence as a programmer. Doing the full-time instead of the after-hours class solves the main weaknesses of the program because only 18 hours/week for 12 weeks is not a lot of time to master the material.

Job assistance is there but it seems there are a lot more Sr. Developer positions available in Utah & elsewhere (1-2 years experience) than there are Jr.-level positions. Doing the full-time class you are able to work on 2 apps (for a few weeks) instead of 1 and thus be a little more prepared and competitive for the job search. But, if you are very motivated and put in the time on your own to practice what you learn you can be just as well off in the afterhours class as the full-time class.

There are definitely options and opportunities in iOS Development that I would not be able to take advantage of without DevMountain and the preparation it gave me but I think the iOS program still has room for growth and improvement which they are working on doing now with the full-time cohort.

• Scott "Skoot" Miller • Job Seeker • Graduate

I did a LOT of research into different bootcamps in the state of UT & DevMtn's previous reviews & post-graduate job placement percentages were a HUGE factor in my deciding to attend DevMtn's immersive cohort.  There is NO other place I would have rather been for the 1st 3 months of 2015.  The skills I've learned in that short amount of time are irreplacable.  I'm grateful for the teachers, lecturers, mentors & other DevMtn staff that made the experience UNforgettable!!  They shared with us years of experience from various individuals of the developing industry!!

• Jeff Chapman • Graduate

I came from the San Francisco Bay Area to attend DevMountain. All the bootcamps in SF were so overpriced and overpopulated that I feared I wouldn't get the education I was looking for. DevMounatain was a perfect fit. The environment was ideal, the teachers were awesome and the other students were smart and a blast to work with. I'm glad I cam to DevMountain and I highly recommend it.

• Jeff • Graduate

I recently finished the full time web dev class. It was the best thing I ever did for my career. I was working in finance and wasn't happy and always had an interest in learning web development. I had heard good things about DevMountain and quit my job and jumped in head first to learn how to code.

The learning environment was awesome. It's an intense class, but moves at a speed that you're able to keep up and continue to learn. They offer full time mentors who are with you all day and will help with any questions you have as you work on class projects, personal projects, etc.

I loved my time here and miss it! I made some great friends and future business partners! DevMountain has made it possible for me to switch careers and to hopefully evolve into a world class software engineer. Wouldn't have been possible if it weren't for DevMountain. Thanks!!!

• super rad
    - 4/21/2015
    Michael Sayer • Graduate

I love DevMountain. I was in the Immersive Web Dev cohort at the beginning of this year and I am so happy about my decision. The learning environment is designed to keep you engaged and moving forward. Around every corner is a new challenge but the mentors and instructors provide plenty of positive reinforcement. These guys taught me how to write code, but more importantly, they taught me how to learn new technologies. I now feel like I stand a chance in an industry that’s constantly changing.

There are many ways one can learn to code. But because of DevMountain, in three months I was able to learn a MEAN stack, build my own applications, make some amazing friends, and get into an entry level position at an awesome tech startup. Keep in mind six months ago I was making minimum wage as barista, without a degree…

• Stephen Done • Graduate

This school is great. The instructors know what they are doing, and you can tell that the people there care that you learn. I took the after hours course - no other school offers that opportunity, and I'm grateful they offer it. I really wish I had been able to take the immersive course - but that just wasn't an option for me, what with five kids to take care of. The part time course was excellent, was challenging, and provided a great jumping off point for me to continue to learn on my own. I spent a lot of time working on my personal project and experimenting with better ways to do things. Whenever I had a question, the mentors and instructors were happy to help. If you can, take the immersive course, but if you don't and you are willing to put in a lot more time on your own beyond what they schedule for you, the after hours course is excellent and you can make it work for you.

I haven't asked for much direct help finding a position - this is perhaps one area where they could improve - but I haven't had any trouble getting interviews. Networking is really something you need to do on your own - and they provide plenty of opportunities to do it. I've been really impressed with their efforts to create a community of developers, and to provide continuing opportunities to learn after the fact.

• Best School.
    - 4/15/2015
    Brandon Kent • Graduate

I just finished the full-time immersive web development cohort last month, and my experience at DevMountain was such a huge positive. My wife and I with our two sons sold our house in Phoenix, AZ to come up to Provo so I could do the DevMountain immersive web program. Being up at DevMountain was awesome. It is such a unique environment with a powerful atmosphere that is centered around learning how to code. I learned so much during those 3 months, typed my fingers to the bone, came out with a bunch of new skills, and was able to kickstart a brand new career as a software engineer. If you have any interest in learning how to code, DevMountain is the best place to learn, would recommend to anyone.

• Rick Wightman • Web Developer • Graduate

DevMountain is most likely one of the best schools of learning I have ever attended, the days were long and the curriculum challenging.  I went from being able to basically navigate the web at the beginning to building my first complete MEAN stack (MongoDB as the database, Express as the web framework, AngularJS as the frontend framework, and Node.js as the server platform).  While the mentors were very knowledgable and available whenever I ran into writing challenging code, their encouragement to first try and find a solution on my own gave me the confidence I needed to feel comfortable solving difficult problems.  I felt during the 12-week immersion course that DevMountain’s staff wanted us to succeed and provided ping pong & foosball tournaments, video game challenges in the evenings my favorites were Friday’s breakfast and the free membership to a local recreational center there are way too many other events to list here that helped us to break away from the intense focus on learning code and relax our tired minds.  In the end all the hard work and long hours finally started to come together when I completed my first personal and group web projects.  DevMountain taught me more than a career the gave lifelong passion, thank you DevMountain.

DevMountain provided a great foundation into the world of coding. The atmosphere was relaxed and generally a fun place to hang around. Twelve weeks went by way too quickly, which is a good thing. This means you are being challenged and learning something new each and every day. You get out of the course what you put in. I had zero coding experience prior to going through this course, but now I can create web applications in a just a few days that would have taken years if I tried learning on my own. I highly recommend this program if you are looking to break away from your current career path.

I was part of the latest full time web dev cohort (Jan - Mar 2015). We had a great group of students and instructors. Before this I was working in a software company providing product support. I had been trying to learn to code over the past three years but decided I needed an immersive experience. I can safely say I learned far more in 12 weeks at Devmountain than in the previous 3 years of self study.

I had no previous Javascript experience before Devmountain and now I can build a full stack app (including API endpoints and a database on the backend). They cover front and back end Javascript (namely angularJS on the front end and nodeJS on the backend) so you will have a chance to figure out which area you like more (I prefer back end js).

The building they are in is really cool (its a former candy factory built in the 1800s). There is a ton of space and you can go there any time of day to code (I spent most of my nights coding in the loft).

I highly recommend Devmountain. No matter where you are in terms of education or career it will equip you to build something useful

• Best Experience!
    - 4/3/2015
    Ty Frith • web developer • Graduate

I just finished up the immersive web development course last week and can honestly say it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The course was very challenging, and there was no shortage of frustration while learning, but talk to ANYONE with coding experience and they will say that it's a necessary evil. I can't believe how much I learned in a quick 3 months. Comparing my skill set before and after the cohort is a joke! All the hard work most definitely payed off. I can't stress enough how awesome the DevMountain experience was, go for it!

• Fumiko Richards • Web Developer • Graduate

I wanted to change dirction in my career and become a web developer. I was a senior quality assurance specialist when I enrolled.

DevMountain has a well developped curriculum that helps you to maximize your learning trajectory as long as you work hard. All instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Trying to balance my full time work that required me to work more than 50 hours/week and  getting homework done was challenging. However, Since I enjoyed learning programming so much, I did not regret my decision to attend Devmountain.

Now I am a full time developer and loving my life!

• Stellar
    - 2/18/2015
    Jacob Turner • Mentor • Graduate

I was in DevMountain's first immersive course, web dev in Fall of 2014.  I absolutely loved my experience.

It was difficult.  They organize the cirriculum so you always feel like you're just slightly (or sometimes, extremely) behind.  But they help you out enough that you don't drown or fall behind.  I felt like it was the perfect balance to learn effectively.

The mentor program is great.  Their entire goal isn't just to debug or find solutions to your problems, but it's to help you learn.  If it's better for you, they'll tell you to look it up or figure it out on your own, but only after pointing you in the right direction.

Perhaps the best part of DevMountain is the hands-on mentality.  There are lectures almost every day, but the clear focus is on the projects.  Every day there is a group mini-project where a mentor will walk the entire class through a project step by step.  The mentor doesn't move past a step until every student has their code working up to that point.  After the daily mini project, you go off to work on the day's real project on your own.  Mentors are made available to help if you get stuck.

After week six, the cirriculum (which, I might add, is very streamlined and focused) is essentially done.  For the last six weeks (or seven, starting with the next cohort) you just build projects.  There are two projects at this point: your personal project and the group project.  The point is to take everything that you've learned for the last six weeks and compile it all into two projects.  You can then present these projects to potential employers.  DevMountain has a demo night specifically organized to showcase students and their projects to potential employers.

10/10, would learn again.

• Devin • Student

DevMountain is great, I started in  2014 and its everything they say it is. Ive learned so much during my time with DevMountain. The teachers have been great. The class is fast and sometimes overwhelming but I have learned a lot and am continuing to learn alot. I like the location and price, you can not beat that. I currently do not have a job but will be looking for one as class ends. I recommend it for anyone who feels comfortable with a computer.

• Kurt • Graduate

I realized that i was interested in coding when I was asked to do a project at work that required some macros in excel.  I was enjoying that a lot more than my normal role so a friend (developer) suggested that I try learning a programming language.  I spent a lot of time on Codecademy and Lynda.com but eventually got frustrated because the things I was learning weren't resulting in anything tangible.  It was valueable information, but I was so far from being able to actually create something that I became discouraged.  I didn't want to let go of the idea of programming but I realized that my aimless search for information would eventually lead to me giving up.  I considered going back to school to get a CS degree but that seemed like a step back in life and would require multiple years of sacrifice.  Finally another friend told me about dev bootcamps.  I looked at the well renouned and very expensive bootcamps in the country and quickly realized that i didn't have the means to put my life on hold and move out of state for 3 months with no income.  I found the DevMtn cohort and determined that it was my best option.  It turned out to be a great decision!  I've been done with the class for about a month now.  I haven't sent a single resume out, yet i've had 3 job interviews with great companies that FOUND ME on LinkedIn.  I'm scheduled for a second interview for 2 of those positions and I feel confident that I will do well.  In a nutshell, if you want to learn to code NOW, this is a fantastic way to do it.  It is VERY difficult and frustrating because you are bombarded with so much information that never seems to end.  But I guess there is a reason that they call them bootcamps.  DevMtn was a great experience for me and I would recommend it to anyone who is driven to start a career in web development.

• It's a no brainer.
    - 9/16/2014
    Pablo Arcia • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I love DevMountain! This is where I really learned programming. I did the part-time class this last summer and it has changed my life! I was working in a call center and I hated every minute of it. I really disliked talking to dumb people all day long and trying to fix their issues. I was looking for a way out and I found it through DevMountain. After completing the 12 week bootcamp, I was hired as a software engineer at a local startup. Now I look forward to going to work and develop my skills. If you are looking to change careers or just get better at JavaScript, you cannot pass up on the chance to attend DevMountain.
  • Danaan Clarke
    I did the Part-time cohort in Provo, and it was exactly what I was looking for. I'm a designer at a software company, with no prior development experience. I wanted to understand how my designs would be built and be able to communicate with the development teams I worked with. After a few weeks of DevMoutain I was able to more effectively communicate with the development teams and better understand what could and couldn't be feasibly built. My designs got better and I gained confidence in myself as we built our individual projects each week in class. DevMountain gets you coding from week 1 in front end and backend technologies, so you understand how web applications work and have experience doing it all. They give you the tools to decide which area of development you're good at and enjoy, so you can make a career decision and pursue it. It was awesome. Every night we wrote code with teachers and mentors to help us when we got stuck, giving you context that online tutorials can't match. I had a great experience and made friendships and connections that benefit me now and will in the future. Can't recommend these guys enough.
  • Anonymous • Frontend Developer • Graduate

I made a huge change in my career after being in retail for over 15 years. I was really happy that I made this decision to go into web development. Originally in college, I was studying it and change majors. I wish I kept going with my original plan but it happens.

I had a couple friends that attended this bootcamp but at different campuses and the one in Lehi is fairly new. As much as I enjoyed the whole experience at the school, there were a couple things I wish they could have fixed but it was limited to what they could do there anyway. Sometimes it can be tough to listen to lectures while other classes surrounding your class is louder than your instructor. Great thing our instructors were patient and allowed us to ask questions or go over that part of the topic again. The bootcamp does give you all the necessary material you need to learn plus access to resources like mentors, after-hours help and even other students who are in different cohorts that can assist. That's one of the major things about being in tech, people can be willing to help you when you're stuck.

The curriculum there is concentrated in JavaScript which is great for modern programming language. Once you get an idea of what you're doing, keep grinding and learning. I dedicated countless hours a week to keep learning. I did fell behind a couple times but you can still catch up. Make sure you ask questions!! You paid this money to go there, if you don't know what they're teaching you, just ask questions or go over it again.

The housing was the major selling point for me coming up there. It all depends who rooms with you that makes your living experience enjoyable. For me, I like my place clean and I clean up after myself. If others don't do their due-diligence, it's not going to be good for you.

Once you completed your curriculum there, meet with the student-success advisors. They want you to succeed after graduating. They follow-up with me to make sure I have found something, if not; they'll ask what I'm doing and how I should do it.

• Mission Complete
    - 6/9/2019
    Anonymous • Senior Mobile Developer • Student

I took the Web Development - Full Stack cours. My goal was to gain an education, enough to get a job. DevMountain delivered.

DevMountain was rigorous enough, community driven, and strategically organized for optimal skill development. They educated me on the content I needed to display during my interviews, that eventually got me my job.

I was hired as a Mobile Developer, but my knowledge of the full stack showed them I was more than a guy that knew Swift and I was granted a higher position from the get go. Many question I was asked, were answered from content I had learned the last week or two.

An offer was over the table before I completed the bootcamp, what a pleasant suprise.

I would not entirely recommend the DevMountain full stack immersive program because after completion of the course, there is no help for you. You are left on your own to try and find a job and your few skills do not let you apply for a majority of the web development positions out there. The hiring events that they hold after you complete the program only target the students who are mentors and you will be lucky to have anything after you hand out a resume.They also do not publish that there is roughly only a 60% hire rate for graduates after 6 months. They do not tell you that you will be competing with thousands of other bootcamp and 4 year CS grads for a very small number of junior level positions. DevMountain also does a poor job at job preparation and you do not get enough practice for the real world of day long tech interviews or phone screens. Personally, if I had the option of doing it all over, I would have hired an experienced professional to tutor me privately for several months versus having only a few weeks of group instruction/ lectures that you get at DevMountain. The housing is nice.. as well as the friends you make, but the lack of experience and simple skillset will not get you a satisfactory job in the current market. You better be a wizard at coding or you will regret not spending your $11900 on something more useful. Remember, higher education is a BUSINESS and all sales are final. Shop wisely.