Start the conversation with CodeCraft School.Request Info >

all (22) reviews for CodeCraft School →

1 Campus

Boulder

1600 Range Street Suite 100, Boulder, CO 80301
HTML, Design, Product Management, User Experience Design, CSSIn PersonPart Time17 Hours/week18 Seats

At CodeCraft School, we believe that UX is the foundation from which you build effective solutions to business problems. Understanding the customer experience through a pragmatic approach to research and design will grant you the ability to convey the magnitude of your work to help make the best decisions for a company’s product and/or service. Our unique part-time UX Design bootcamp is 20 weeks long. The first three weeks are remote courses that you can attend from anywhere, and the last 17 weeks are in-person at our campus in Boulder, Colorado. The in-person classes are held Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 6pm to 9pm, and on rotating Saturdays during the cohort which will be from 9am to 5pm. Throughout this intensive program, you will learn about the entire UX process from seasoned industry professionals who are eager to share their knowledge. The program covers all the phases of the UX workflow, including user research, user testing, UI, defining problems, solving problems, wireframes, design briefs, prototypes, mockups, and basic web development fundamentals. As you learn, you’ll put your new skills to work through hands-on projects that expand your knowledge, build experience, and create a body of work for your portfolio. After graduation, you’ll have the foundational knowledge to take on one of the many roles in User Experience/ Human Design.

Course Details

Financing available through SkillsFund.

Interview
This bootcamp begins with a three-week remote classwork schedule that teaches you some of important software and design fundamentals you'll need prior to starting the in-person classes.

This full-time, intensive, 12-week Full Stack Web Development bootcamp teaches the incredibly popular MEVN stack, which is a modern, 100% JavaScript-based approach to web development, and is very high in demand within the coding/tech industry. The first two weeks is remote classwork that you can attend from anywhere and the last 10 weeks are in-person at our campus in Boulder, Colorado. The in-person classes are held from 9am - 5pm, Monday through Friday. One of the great things about JavaScript is that it can be used to write both client side (front-end) code and server (back-end) code, making it easier and more efficient for our students to learn the “full stack” by leveraging ONE language instead of multiple languages, as you would have to do if you were learning another “stack” such as Ruby on Rails. The program covers the following languages, tools, and technologies: HTML, HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, AJAX, JSON, Bash, MongoDB, Express.js, Vue.js, Node.js, Bootstrap, Git, MVC, DigitalOcean, npm, and functional programming.

Course Details

CodeCraft works with a variety of trusted, third-party lenders including SkillsFund.

Beginner
This bootcamp begins with two weeks of remote classwork that serves as a fast-paced introduction to web fundamentals including HTML, CSS, and MacOS which you'll complete prior to starting in-person classes.
Dec 18, '17 -Mar 16, '18

Mar 12, '18 -Jun 1, '18

May 29, '18 -Aug 17, '18

Sep 4, '18 -Nov 28, '18

In PersonFull Time40Hours/week18 Seats

This part-time, intensive, 24-week Full Stack Web Development bootcamp teaches the incredibly popular MEVN stack, which is a modern, 100% JavaScript-based approach to web development, and is very high in demand within the coding/tech industry. The first four weeks is remote classwork that you can attend from anywhere and the last 20 weeks are in-person at our campus in Boulder, Colorado. In-person classes are held Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 6pm to 9pm and Saturdays from 9am to 5pm. One of the great things about JavaScript is that it can be used to write both client side (front-end) code and server (back-end) code, making it easier and more efficient for our students to learn the “full stack” by leveraging ONE language instead of multiple languages, as you would have to do if you were learning another “stack” such as Ruby on Rails. The program covers the following languages, tools, and technologies: HTML, HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, AJAX, JSON, Bash, MongoDB, Express.js, Vue.js, Node.js, Bootstrap, Git, MVC, DigitalOcean, npm, and functional programming.

Course Details

Financing available through SkillsFund.

Beginner.
This bootcamp begins with four weeks of remote classwork that serves as a fast-paced introduction to web fundamentals including HTML, CSS, and MacOS which you'll complete prior to starting in-person classes.

2 Scholarships

$250 CodeCraft School Scholarship

CodeCraft School offers a User Experience (UX) Design bootcamp at their campus in Boulder, CO. The Part-Time UX Design bootcamp covers the UX workflow, UI, user research, user testing, design thinking, defining problems, solving problems, wireframes, design briefs, prototypes, mockups, and some web development fundamentals. Course Report is happy to offer an exclusive CodeCraft School scholarship for $250 off!​

Offer is only valid for new applicants to CodeCraft School. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship.

• Part-Time, UX Design Bootcamp (Boulder)

$500 CodeCraft School Scholarship

CodeCraft School offers two Full Stack Web Development bootcamps at their campus in Boulder, CO. The full-time and part-time Full Stack Web Development bootcamps cover front-end fundamentals like HTML, CSS, and jQuery, as well as the JavaScript-based MEVN stack (MongoDB, Express.js, Vue.js and Node.js) for back-end development. Course Report is happy to offer an exclusive CodeCraft School scholarship for $500 off!

• Full-Time, Full Stack Web Development (Boulder)
  • Part-Time, Full Stack Web Development (Boulder)

Please submit this review with a valid email

You must provide a valid email to submit your review. Your review will not appear on the live Course Report site until you confirm it.

7/6/2017
Anonymous • n/a • Graduate
Response From: Zach Daudert of CodeCraft School
Title: Co-Founder
Tuesday, Sep 06 2016

I want to personally and sincerely apologize that your experience at CodeCraft didn’t meet your expectations. However, I also realize an apology alone doesn’t get you where you want to go nor does it change the fundamental concerns you raised so, in addition to the career services assistance offers (details below), I would also like to offer you the ability to retake portions of the program at no charge.

CodeCraft is absolutely committed to being one of the very best bootcamps. That means continually refining and improving, which is exactly what we’ve been doing (intensely) over the last many months. The staffing changes you reference in your review is part of that.

Regarding the curriculum; we’ve invested a great deal of time refining our curriculum as well as creating our own reference materials. We’ve also restructured our faculty and mentors so that there is a lot more opportunities for one-on-one time with our students.

Regarding job assistance; we’ve hired dedicated staff to work with our students and grow our employer network. We’ve also developed a substantial library of job search resources/tools. Finally, we have a new post-graduation video course that is very comprehensive available to all our graduates including yourself.

Please reach out to me (zach@codecraftschool.com) and I will be happy to help you with these additional resources and/or to re-take any parts of the bootcamp so that you can experience these improvements for yourself.

Our latest on CodeCraft School

• Coding Bootcamp Cost Comparison: Full Stack Immersives

Imogen Crispe7/24/2017

How much do coding bootcamps cost? From students looking for free coding bootcamps to those wondering if an $18,000 bootcamp is worth it, we understand that cost is important to future bootcampers! While the average full-time programming bootcamp in the US costs $11,451bootcamp tuition can range from $9,000 to $21,000, and some coding bootcamps have deferred tuition. So how do you decide what to budget for? Here, we break down the costs of coding bootcamps from around the USA

This is a cost comparison of full stack (front end and back end) in-person (on-site) immersive bootcamps that are nine weeks or longer, and many of them also include extra remote pre-work study. We have chosen courses which we think are comparable in course content – they all teach HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, plus back end languages or frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, Python, Angular, and Node.js. All schools listed here have at least one campus in the USA. To find out more about each bootcamp or read reviews, click on the links below to see their detailed Course Report pages.

Continue Reading →
  • Alumni Spotlight: Laura of CodeCraft School

Liz Eggleston1/26/2016

Laura Baumgartner graduated from CodeCraft School in Boulder, CO in December 2015, and was offered a job two days later. She tells us how her experiences in marketing and politics made her realize that she loved tinkering with code. Laura is now working as a UI/UX developer. Read about why she absolutely loves her job and is excited to keep learning and improving as a developer.

Q&A

What were you up to before you went to CodeCraft?

I have a Bachelors degree from the University of Nebraska. I was in marketing for about five years before I decided to take the jump and enroll in CodeCraft. I worked for different universities including the University of Colorado at Boulder.

In 2014 I ran for the state senate in Nebraska. I’d wanted to do it for a long time, there was an open seat. I thought, “I’m gonna go for it, let’s see what happens here.” I did that for about eight months. I designed and built my website. Setting up the website was really my favorite part of the whole campaign.

After the election was over, I reflected upon my experiences and thought “What was my favorite part of the campaigning experience, and of  the different jobs I’ve had? What was the one thing that got me excited in the morning?”  I realized I really enjoyed coding email campaigns using custom HTML / CSS, plus updating the website. I decided I had to explore this further or I’m going to kick myself  down the line.

Why did you decide to go to a bootcamp to learn coding rather than go back to college?

I was talking to Bill Adkins, the campus director at CodeCraft and I said, “I have a decision to make. I could stay at CU and do marketing for the next five years because that’s how long it would take me to get a CS degree while working full time and taking one or two courses a semester.” But there was no way I could see myself not coding full-time for another five years.

How did you find out about coding bootcamps in Boulder?

I was the first person to apply to CodeCraft. I Googled “code boot camp, Boulder” and had a couple of different options come up. CodeCraft had just put their website up a week before!The fact they were new on the block attracted me. I thought, “they’re really going to try to help me get a job because if I’m in the first class, they’ll want to have a good outcome.”

It seemed like the languages, the foundational stuff I’d be learning, plus the tuition price was a fairly good deal. There are a couple of different schools out there but they’re a bit more expensive, and it seemed like CodeCraft’s course offerings were pretty comparable. I talked to them on the phone; we had a great conversation and things worked out for the best.

Did you apply to other schools or did you only apply to CodeCraft?

I only applied to CodeCraft because it was such a good value. It was $9,500.

Another reason I wanted to enroll in CodeCraft is because it is a sibling company to Boulder Digital Arts (BDA). One of the cofounders to both companies, Bruce Borowsky is active in the Boulder Chamber of Commerce. Our campus director, Bill Adkins, is also  connected within the Boulder tech scene, so the school has a great network within the Boulder community.

Being a part of BDA, does that mean you’re physically near other companies and are you all in an incubator space?

It’s kind of like an incubator. BDA offers professional training for people who want to take a workshops on the Adobe Creative Suite, blogging, video or other digital arts and technologies.

CodeCraft has separate facilities, but it’s all within a shared campus with BDA. There are people who rent out coworking office spaces, so it’s neat to meet them and network. That was a fun part of it for me.

Did you end up using a financing partner or did you save up to cover tuition?

I know a lot of my classmates did end up taking out loans. If you think of it as vocational training, then that’s a good investment in yourself.

I was working full time at CU so I was able to save up. I ended up writing CodeCraft a check.

Did you want to learn a specific programming language? CodeCraft teaches MEAN stack; was that important to you? Most bootcamps are teaching Ruby on Rails.

I was mostly thinking about what was going to make me most attractive to future employers. I kind of had my finger on the pulse a bit from friends who went through similar bootcamps in Omaha. I felt what CodeCraft was teaching would lead to a good career path because with MEAN stack, I could do either front end or back end, and I knew Angular was going to explode in the next six months to a year.

I’m also really glad I learned HTML, CSS and JavaScript. I’m totally fine that I didn’t learn Python, or Rails; and I feel like I have enough of a foundation now that I could sit down for a week and learn other languages quite easily.

What is the learning experience like at CodeCraft? Take us through a typical day and the teaching style there.

It is mostly lecture style. The teachers do a lesson on a big screen and you follow along and raise your hand if you have a question.

Our class was pretty small. There was some project time, we did some group projects throughout the course.

Was there time to do hands-on projects or your own projects or projects with teams?

We focused on team projects and some pair programming throughout. The individual do-it-yourself thing was towards the end in preparation for demo day.

Who were your instructors at CodeCraft and what were their backgrounds?

We had two main instructors and a side instructor who got hired halfway through the program to help with curriculum and development. The first few weeks of our class were HTML, CSS, and then a heavy focus on JavaScript. That was taught by lead instructor, David Gray, who’s been in the industry forever. He’s had projects for Google. He’s one of those guys who stays up and codes for 18 hours a day.

Did it feel like a diverse mix of people? Were there many women in your class?

I think it was a good mix of backgrounds. Some people wanted to go into gaming, some people had their own businesses, or wanted to stop paying people to build stuff for them. There were also people like me who had worked in different jobs. There was one woman who had been in the nonprofit sector her whole life. I think we all had different aspirations of what we wanted to get out of the class. 33% of students were women.

What was the biggest challenge you faced? I know this is the first CodeCraft cohort but were there things you weren’t expecting? What was the feedback loop like?

They actually sought feedback from us, which I appreciated because they wanted to make sure it was the best program. We gave them a lot of good feedback. For me, I felt like we didn’t really need a Mac computer, because we only did a couple of days on the command line. I had to buy this new computer and it was so much money. On the flip side, now I’m going to use it for my new job for a very long time.

I think the biggest challenge for me personally was getting overwhelmed by the syntax.

My instructor said, “You know what? As long as you can rock the logic, don’t worry about the syntax; you can look that up.”

That’s really one of the reasons I wanted to pay to go to a bootcamp. It’s the ability to raise your hand, ask a question and get instant feedback from someone who wants you to succeed.

What did you present at demo day?

I built a really fun app called Find the Trump. I have a political background so I thought it was right up my alley. It was built in JQuery and then my instructor Dallas said, “Why don’t you go ahead and make that a full stack app?” So I was able to use my skill set and make in an Angular-based app.

Tell us about the demo day.

I definitely made some good contacts there, I talked to people who were interested in the program and I told them a little bit about my experience. It was a fun time. Everybody presented different things, people presented their personal portfolios and our group projects.

What were the two weeks following your graduation like?

I actually had my second interview for my new job on the morning of demo day.

What is your job?

My title is UX/UI designer, at a small company. It’s a platform service for companies that are part of the farm-to-table movement. We have clients all over the world.

How did you get the job? What was the interview process like?

The company wasn’t at the demo day because it was the same day as a huge Colorado blizzard. I’d been blanketing my resume all over the Boulder/Denver area asking, “Is anybody hiring? If not, please keep me in mind.”

The morning up of my interview it’s blizzarding outside. I travelled 20 miles away for this interview, but the CEO was stuck in Estes Park. I got major, major bonus points –  for actually making it in for the interview.

They gave me a job offer two days after graduation. I could’ve tapped Bill or Bruce’s network. They’re always more than happy to say, “I can introduce you to this person or pass along a  phone number.” They have their own networks and they’re happy to share.

Were you applying specifically for a UX/UI job?

My goal was to get a job with whoever would hire me. I didn’t really have an endgame in mind or what my job title would actually be. I’m happy to get experience in many areas and languages.

What does a UX/UI designer do day to day?

I’m making wireframes and mockups for different forms and websites. I’m kind of like a user advocate. It’s really about easy navigation and removing barriers from a design standpoint.

We have our own graphics and logo team. I’m more interested in drilling down into code and thinking about how these things work and how we’re going to implement them. That’s the beauty of my job, I’m bringing my design eye and my five years of marketing experience, but then I get to combine it with my coding skills.

I feel I have the opportunity to keep learning, and now, I’m getting paid to learn, and that’s my goal.

At your UX/UI position, what has been the ramp up in terms of mentorship and continuing that learning process?

They have a knowledge base, they have some on-boarding videos for different clients. I’m giving a once-over and twice-over to their website and to their clients’ websites.

What I’m most excited about is I get to keep learning, ask questions of people who are really good at what they do and I get paid for it. That’s a rare thing in this world so I’m very blessed.

Did you think CodeCraft was worth it and would you recommend it?

If you want to try something new or try a new career path and you have the problem solver mentality, you’ll do fine. If you want to make beautiful and functional things and set the world on fire, I think coding’s a good option for you. Give coding a try and do some online courses first to see if you are able to be that problem solver.

It is a lot of work; I was there 15 hours a day on average. I really wanted to squeeze every inch of value I could out of CodeCraft. It’s a really good school to learn at and I think whatever industry you end up in, it’s going to be an asset to you.

Want to learn more about CodeCraft School? Check out the CodeCraft website.

• Founder Spotlight: Bruce, Bill and Zach of CodeCraft School

Liz Eggleston11/19/2015

After 12 years of offering day and week-long classes at Boulder Digital Arts, Bruce Borowsky and Zach Daudert founded CodeCraft School, a 10-week coding bootcamp in Boulder, Colorado. Bruce, Zach and Bill Adkins, CodeCraft’s Campus Director, chat with Course Report about their decision to teach the MEAN stack, building a diverse cohort and their unique pre-work alternative that’s unlike any other bootcamp!

Liz: You started classes recently. How are things going?

Bruce: The first cohort started October 5th.  We're really excited. It's interesting because we're nimble enough to adapt and adjust to things very quickly. We've been doing training for over a decade, so we've adapted this new curriculum to do what we've been doing well for almost 12 years!

Liz: Tell me about what you were working on before and how that evolved into CodeCraft?

Bruce: Zach and I were friends working at a video production company in 2003 and we started teaching digital arts. We offered classes and workshops — it was literally everything from Photoshop and filmmaking to web development and iOS/Android  —  and it was a creative process that progressed very quickly to something called Boulder Digital Arts. Today we have over 6,000 square feet in Boulder where we have over 300 events every year. And with the demand for developers being so high - particularly in Boulder, a coding bootcamp seemed like a natural progression.

All the classes at Boulder Digital Arts are typically one day or one week, and are more about learning one skill or tool. CodeCraft’s bootcamps are really focused on career transformation and are obviously much longer and in-depth, which is why CodeCraft is operating as a new company.

Liz: What was the process like, developing the curriculum for CodeCraft?

Zach: The 10-week bootcamp curriculum that we developed is brand new. We started looking into creating our own bootcamp about a year ago. We did a lot of research and talked with many people in the bootcamp industry as well as people who hire developers. That set the stage for our curriculum planning which took our two instructors about three months to craft. As Bruce pointed out, Boulder Digital Arts (BDA) classes are only a week. So in a way, what we're doing at BDA is a great primer for a pre-bootcamp process because you learn the basics of HTML, CSS, that sort of thing.

We invested heavily in the curriculum because what we've learned in the 12 years of doing this is to have a very solid road map and to make sure that it's presented to students so that they know where they are relative to where they’re going.

Liz: You mentioned working with a couple of developers to come up with this curriculum. Does anybody have a programming background? Tell me about how your team works.

Bruce: It's funny because I'm a filmmaker and Zach is a web developer. The two of us had all of our bases covered in terms of the digital arts when we started BDA. Zach follows trends and developments in the web world.

Bill: I have worked 20 years here in the Boulder startup community. Since I’ve been through a bootcamp myself, I can empathize with what individuals go through, what their expectations are and how to better manage those needs for the best outcome of the program. Our instructors have years of development experience across many coding languages so they are well prepared to adjust to needs of the students as well as emerging technologies.

Liz: What stack is CodeCraft teaching and what was the decision-making process behind that?

Zach: The current course is based on full-stack JavaScript. Part of the process in how we came to the curriculum is based on our experience in assessing programs for Boulder Digital Arts. We did a lot of research. We talked to a lot of people in the hiring space, we talked to a lot of people who are running bootcamps and we talked to students that learned the MEAN stack. It became clear to see that there's so much growth and demand for MEAN stack developers.

In addition, there's the pragmatic reality that learning just one language for server side and front-end development is much easier. We think that's a huge advantage in the 10-week time frame. From there, our philosophy of teaching the fundamentals to think like a programmer prepares one to learn something like Ruby on Rails, Python or another backend technology reasonably quickly.

Liz: You've started the JavaScript Full stack program, I also see that you have a UI/UX intensive; are there plans for another cohort coming up?

Bruce: Right now we’re trying to gauge interest. At BDA it’s a tremendously popular topic, especially our one-week UI/UX Certificate class. In fact we often get people coming from out of state to Boulder to attend.

As far as next steps, we're evaluating a couple of options—a part-time version of our MEAN stack, JavaScript program, a couple of other ideas. We’re trying to get feedback from the market on that.

Liz: So how many students do you have in this first cohort?

Bruce: We're all about the student experience. That's at the forefront every second of the day. To that end, we limited it to 12 students for this first one so we could work out any kinks and have it all go as smooth as possible.

Liz: Are the students based in Boulder or are you getting people from out of the city or state?

Bill: We’ve had interest from all over. Again, Bruce's point about managing the experience, we have two instructors for 12 students to make sure that everything that we're doing is for the best student experience. For this first class, we wanted local students, to better manage the experience of the cohort. Out-of-State students add a degree of complexity and distraction that we’re now able to work with in future cohorts. What we have in this cohort is a diverse group, college age to mid-career professionals making a transition, a lot of gender diversity. It's a great mix of students and life experiences.

Liz: How did you get a diverse applicant pool? That can be difficult for a bootcamp.

Bill: I give Zach and Bruce credit for that. BDA’s legacy has generated a lot of attention for CodeCraft even in our early days. So we were in a position where our primary admissions criteria for our students was "Are you committed to making it through 12 hour days, plus weekends, 10 weeks full-time? You really have to be serious about where you want to go in your career." Everything else took care of itself. And what we ended up with is 12 amazing, focused students.

Liz: How many of the students in your current cohort had taken a BDA class before?

Bruce: I think about 25% of our students had actually attended a class or multiple classes here. A lot of them were very familiar with us. Which brings us to one of our differentiators in the bootcamp space. One of the perks that we offer our students is the ability to take BDA classes for free for a limited time before, during and after the cohort. That way they could be a full stack JavaScript developer with unique SEO or Wordpress skills. So we've had a number of students already taking some additional BDA classes that end up with a much more well-rounded experience than they would get in a strictly front-end class.

Liz: Where are you located in Boulder?

Bruce: We’re located in central Boulder. We're not downtown, which we chose purposely because parking is difficult to find there and limited to only three hours, so here we have plenty of parking. We’re just a couple miles from downtown, but we have a lot of perks because of that—we're right on the bus line, and also much easier to access for those coming in from the Denver metro area as well. We have a large open space with multiple classrooms, meeting spaces and social areas, so students have plenty of room to spread out.

Liz: You mentioned filtering for students who have the grit to get through a 12-hour a day intensive program. Is there any requirement in terms of programming experience?

Bill: Students who are interested in our bootcamp can start off with zero experience. That said, we do encourage them to have some familiarity with the basics of HTML and CSS. Our instructors’ curriculum is designed to get somebody from zero to junior developer by the end of the 10 weeks.

About 80% of our current cohort had some familiarity with HTML and CSS. The other folks did some online tutorials. We began the class with a well-prepped, motivated cohort. This allowed us to move quicker than we thought through the first week’s fundamentals.

Zach: That goes back to one of the benefits of being able to take the BDA classes for free up to three months prior to the first day of the cohort. They're able to take a lot of HTML and CSS classes as part of their pre-work.

Liz: Students have 3 months to take BDA Classes?

Bill: The BDA offer of free classes is valid for a paid CodeCraft student, up to three months ahead of their cohort. They can also take classes during and up to 3 months after their cohort ends.

Bruce: It depends on when they sign up for the bootcamp, but once they're a paid CodeCraft student they have the opportunity to take BDA classes at no charge if they want to strengthen their HTML and CSS skills, for example.

Liz: Have you had to do anything in terms of accreditation or approval with CodeCraft in particular or because you have BDA is it not required?

Bruce: Since CodeCraft is a separate entity, we had to get approved by the state. We are regulated by the state of Colorado. It was a fairly rigorous process. We submitted about 100 pages of documents, including the full curriculum, very detailed. Before we submitted the curriculum to the State for approval, it had to be signed-off by four external web developers that we didn't know.

Liz: Skill Distillery, a bootcamp that did corporate training for a long time, was able to go through the VA (Veteran’s Affairs) approval process because they had been in operation for many years. Students can use their GI Bill to take courses there. Because CodeCraft has several years of experience, is that something you’re able to pursue as well?

Bill: We’re looking at that, and some of the grant programs would require federal accreditation. We’re currently State regulated. We’re talking to the Federal accrediting bodies about that, which would allow students to use their GI Bill or 529 Savings Plan. We’re absolutely interested, but it takes time. The Department of Education is also looking at what they can do to release the red tape, so that students can use funding for coding programs like ours. We’re hoping it will be easier for a veteran in career change or a student that doesn’t want to get a four year degree to meet their needs.

Bruce: This concept of alternative, nontraditional education is something we've been doing for almost 12 years now and I'm happy to say we're very good at it. We know the nuances, we know what students are looking for; we really bring a lot to the table in terms of how we do training.

Liz: Do you have standards, a particular placement rate, for example, that you have to meet to stay approved?

Bruce: Yes, they review our records  couple of times a year. We have to keep accurate records of student attendance and similar things. I think there's a specific percentage that they’re looking for that we place, but regardless it's our goal to get 100% of our students placed.

Liz: Are you noticing that the students applying are looking for a career change and want to get a new job after they graduate or do you have students who want to start their own business when they graduate?

Bruce:  I would say exactly that mix. The vast majority are looking for some major career change. We have college age students and this is their postsecondary education. We have adults in career transition. We have entrepreneurs who are staying within the company that they founded but want to be more in tune with their developers. Boulder has a very strong entrepreneurial tech community. One of our students is co-founder of his own startup. He wasn’t as technical as he wanted to be and took a sabbatical so that he could acquire deeper skills and coding abilities to meet his company’s needs.

Liz: When you start to think about your job placement statistics, would the business co-founder not be included because he's not job seeking?

Bill: We haven’t thought about it in those terms. Knowing that he got the education he wanted that would put him on a different career path within his company, I would consider that a success. The thing that brought me to working with Bruce and Zach, besides the fact that they have an amazing legacy, is not everybody is looking to be a full stack developer and they respect that.

I think a lot of schools do themselves a disservice by not calling it a success when they help someone with a full career change, not just a “developer” career change.

We have students who want to be product managers so we’re bringing in product managers as mentors to help them learn how they can take their customer facing skills and turn that into user stories to work with developers. They feel much more fulfilled and say, “Someone’s listening to me. This is really what my career change has been for, not sitting in front of a terminal all day.”

Liz: We’ve seen this funny life cycle in bootcamps. In the beginning, everybody’s goal was to get a job as a developer afterwards. As the space has grown, those goals have varied and it doesn’t always make sense to limit placement statistics to developer job placement.

Bill: It’s not necessarily about developer job placement. We put attention on all the students to help make sure they’re getting where they need to be.

Liz: Do you have hiring partners? How are you planning to get people jobs in the roles they want?

Bill: There’s a number of places that we’re looking for that. Boulder is a very strong tech community, so all of us have relationships here. We’re just raising awareness in the community that we’re going to have 12 rock star candidates available, and they’re already expressing interest.

One of the projects the students did in the beginning was build a profile page because employers here are eager to meet these folks. It goes along with the point you made earlier about employers not necessarily caring if they’re LAMP or MEAN, they want somebody that’s got a good foundation that can be molded in their culture.

We’re working across a variety of ends, with recruiters, the local software community; the JavaScript meetup here is extremely prolific with job placement. The employer network here is very integrated.

Liz: Are there other bootcamps in Boulder?

Bill: There are a couple of bootcamps in the area. TechStars was founded here in Boulder. That’s an example of a single place with a lot of startups seeking employable talent because they’re the folks who are getting out of the “garage” and eager to hire people. Our students come in with good educational and work backgrounds and now have this really solid skill. They are perfect for a startup that’s looking for someone that can wear many hats.

Liz: What’s been your biggest roadblock or challenge that you had to change right off the bat?

Bill: Before we had our first student walk through the door, we were updating the curriculum to reflect the latest technology in the MEAN stack, on the fly. In the traditional education path, that would never happen. All of their curriculum is locked in an iron vault and that’s how it lives.

We had to give these students the most current, employable mix so that when they’re talking to a hiring manager they would be up-to-date with the most current technologies and skills. That was a major focus for us and we’ve already seen it take place prior to the cohort starting.

I think right now the other thing that we knew was there and I think every cohort is going to have it, the class is a living breathing body itself. It’s like an Aspen grove; it’s “many” and it’s “one” at the same time. You have to adapt the curriculum to your cohort’s experience and ability level, whether a slower pace for people new to the technology or keep a faster pace for more experienced developer groups.

For example, we’re really strong at bringing in people that had a solid work background and laser focus in their career. In this cohort, folks came in with good HTML and CSS knowledge, so we moved faster through that part than we thought we would. We able to move to and spend more time in intermediate and advanced Javascript because of that, which the students appreciated.

Liz: How did you decide on 10 weeks?

Zach: We strived to find that middle ground between the time required to teach people to be a junior developer and getting them back in the workforce as soon as possible. We realize it’s tough because effectively stopping their life to attend a full-time bootcamp requires a real sacrifice. They have to quit their jobs, save up, potentially borrow money and in some cases relocate to Boulder for this cohort. Our 10 week program is long enough to properly train them and short enough to be manageable for those focused on a career change.

Bill: In our opinion, there’s no reason to prolong it. Our job is to give them the right web-development skillset and our 10 week cohort accomplishes that. If you chart a curve from their “before salary” to their future income potential it’s imperative to get them in and out as quickly as possible with employable skills for their new careers.

Are you interested in learning more about CodeCraft School? Sign up for their open house on November 19th and check out their Course Report page.