code-chrysalis-logo

Code Chrysalis

Tokyo

Code Chrysalis

Code Chrysalis is a coding bootcamp located in Tokyo, Japan. Code Chrysalis has a rigorous, industry-aligned curriculum, career placement support and mentorship to transform students into autonomous, full-stack software engineers. Built around a Silicon Valley-focus, Code Chrysalis promotes agile workflows, extreme programming, and a growth mindset through personal and team full stack projects. Classes are taught in Japanese and English.

Code Chrysalis offers two bootcamp courses. The Immersive Bootcamp is a full-time, 12-week software engineering coding bootcamp. Immersive students complete a capstone team project and learn languages such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript, git, Node, Express, and React. The Foundations Bootcamp is a 5-7 week, part-time introduction to software programming course for beginners. At the end of Foundations, students will be able to create logic-using code, develop engineering autonomy, and practice having a growth mindset.

Recent Code Chrysalis Reviews: Rating 4.88

all (26) reviews for Code Chrysalis →

Recent Code Chrysalis News

• Foundations [ENGLISH/ONLINE] - part-time 7-week intro to programming course

LocationTokyo
    Foundations [ENGLISH/ONLINE] is our part-time, 7-week introduction to programming course for beginners. We do not believe that you can create a sustainable software engineering career by going to a coding program for beginners promising full-stack web applications in one month. Our course is designed for beginners who want to pursue a new fulfilling career path. Our Foundations introduction to programming class is offered in both English and Japanese.
    Tuition PlansRegular price: ¥176,000 (10% tax inclusive) Early Bird price: ¥158,400 (10% tax inclusive) For the Early Bird price application deadlines, please check: https://www.codechrysalis.io/foundations
    ScholarshipFor scholarship information, please check: https://www.codechrysalis.io/scholarships/
    Minimum Skill LevelThis is a beginner course and there is no minimum skill level. Everyone is welcome!
  • Foundations [ENGLISH/ONSITE] - part-time 5-week intro to programming course

LocationTokyo
    Foundations [ENGLISH/ONSITE] is our part-time, 5-week introduction to programming course for beginners. We do not believe that you can create a sustainable software engineering career by going to a coding program for beginners promising full-stack web applications in one month. Our course is designed for beginners who want to pursue a new fulfilling career path. Our Foundations introduction to programming class is offered in both English and Japanese. *Due to the COVID-19 situation in Tokyo, May 19 - June 27 Foundations class will be held online. Courses that are currently planned to be held onsite may be held online. If there are any changes, we will announce them on our website as soon as possible.
  • The Immersive Bootcamp [ENGLISH/ONLINE] - full-time 12-week software engineering course

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Product Management, CSS, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Front End, SQL
    LocationTokyo
    DepositDeposit fee: ¥100,000 (10% tax inclusive)
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic programming fundamentals in JavaScript
    Prep WorkAfter getting accepted, students are required to complete Precourse (set of assessments) before joining the Immersive
  • The Immersive Bootcamp [ENGLISH/ONSITE] - full-time 12-week software engineering course

LocationTokyo
    Code Chrysalis's Immersive program is a full-time, 12-week coding bootcamp in Tokyo, Japan, focused on building autonomous and versatile software engineers. Our curriculum is industry-aligned and optimized for efficiency and impact. In an effort to maximize learning during the program, all accepted students are expected to complete a provided pre-course curriculum before the on-site class begins. At Code Chrysalis, students can transition from only knowing the basics of programming to becoming engineers ready to enter the industry and actively contribute from the start. We've developed a solid, full-stack foundation that every engineer needs to in order to excel. We teach contrasting technologies (e.g. React/Vue or REST/GraphQL) so students are able to form independent, educated opinions about them. With our focus on meta-learning, students are immersed in an environment that requires them to become autonomous problem-solvers and pick up new technologies on their own. On the soft skills side, we teach students effective communication practices necessary to perform seamlessly in modern software engineering teams and to shine in technical and non-technical job interviews. Our Immersive course will be offered in both English and Japanese. *For the following Immersive courses, students can choose to attend either in-person or online: July English Immersive, August English Immersive, November English Immersive.
    DepositDeposit fee: ¥100,000 (10% tax inclusive)
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic programming fundamentals in JavaScript
  • ファウンデーションズ[日本語/オンライン] - 7週間の初心者向け基礎コース

LocationTokyo
    ファウンデーションズ[日本語/オンライン]は、学校や会社を続けながら通えるプログラミング初心者向けの7週間のパートタイムのプログラムです。 「たった1ヶ月でフルスタックなWebアプリケーションを開発できるようになる」と謳うプログラムで、本当にソフトウェアエンジニアとして持続可能なキャリアを切り開くことができるのでしょうか?私たちは自走できるソフトウェアエンジニアを育てるプログラムを提供しています。このファウンデーションズでは初心者の方がソフトウェアエンジニアになる一歩を踏み出し、プロレベルを学ぶ入り口に立つプログラムです。 本プログラムは英語と日本語の両方のプログラムを用意しております。 ※日本語でのプログラムでは授業は全て日本語で行いますが、英語の教材も使用するというチャレンジングな内容となっています。ソフトウェアエンジニアとしてのキャリアを築くためには英語のスキルは必要不可欠です。授業やコーディングを通じて少しずつ英語に慣れてもらいつつも、プログラミングはもちろん英語の理解力も高めることを目標としています。
    Tuition Plans通常料金: ¥176,000 (10%税込) 早割料金: ¥158,400 (10%税込)
    Scholarshipスカラーシップの最新情報についてはこちらをご覧ください: https://www.codechrysalis.io/scholarships/
    Minimum Skill Level受講するにあたって特に必要なスキルはございません。 どなたでも受講できます!
  • イマーシブ[日本語/現地開催] - 12週間のプログラミング集中型コース

LocationTokyo
    イマーシブは、自律性を持った柔軟性の高いソフトウェアエンジニアを育てることを目的とした、フルタイムの高度なプログラムです。カリキュラムは業界の要望に沿い、能率とインパクトを与えるために最適化されています。 卒業したら終わりではなく、ご自分で持続可能なキャリアを描けるソフトウェアエンジニアに育つプロ グラム構成になっています。 このコースからより多くを学んでもらえるよう、合格した生徒にはコースが始まる前にプリコースカリキュラムを完了してもらいます。 コードクリサリスでは、生徒がプログラミングの基礎を分かっている状態から即戦力となるエンジニアへと飛躍的にスキルを伸ばすことができます。 私たちのコースは、全ての優れているエンジニアが必要であろうフルスタックの基礎が学べるものとなっています。全く異なるテクノロジー(e.g. React/Vue or REST/GraphQL)を教えることで、生徒らは自らこれらのテクノロジーについて自分の意見を持つようになります。また、私たちはメタ学習に注力しており、生徒らは自発的に解決策をみつけ、新しいテクノロジーを自ら身に着けていく環境で過ごします。ソフトスキルの面では、どうすればソフトウェアエンジニアのチーム内で円滑なコミュニケーションがとれるか、どうすれば就活時のテクニカル・ノンテクニカルインタビューでうまく話せるかを教えます。 イマーシブは英語と日本語の両方のプログラムを用意しております。 ※ミッションや到達点は英語のイマーシブプログラムと同じでありながら、日本語で学ぶためにコンテンツを追加・変更しています。 ※次のイマーシブクラスにつきましては、現地開催もしくはオンライン、どちらで受講するか選べます:8月日本語イマーシブ、11月日本語イマーシブ。
    Depositデポジット: ¥100,000 (10%税込)
    Minimum Skill LevelJavaScriptの基本的なプログラミング基礎
    Prep Workイマーシブの入学テストに合格しましたら、イマーシブが始まる前にプリコース(事前課題)を終わらせる必要があります。
  • ファウンデーションズ[日本語/現地開催] - 5週間の初心者向け基礎コース

LocationTokyo
    ファウンデーションズ[日本語/現地開催]は、学校や会社を続けながら通えるプログラミング初心者向けの5週間のパートタイムのプログラムです。 「たった1ヶ月でフルスタックなWebアプリケーションを開発できるようになる」と謳うプログラムで、本当にソフトウェアエンジニアとして持続可能なキャリアを切り開くことができるのでしょうか?私たちは自走できるソフトウェアエンジニアを育てるプログラムを提供しています。このファウンデーションズでは初心者の方がソフトウェアエンジニアになる一歩を踏み出し、プロレベルを学ぶ入り口に立つプログラムです。 本プログラムは英語と日本語の両方のプログラムを用意しております。 ※日本語でのプログラムでは授業は全て日本語で行いますが、英語の教材も使用するというチャレンジングな内容となっています。ソフトウェアエンジニアとしてのキャリアを築くためには英語のスキルは必要不可欠です。授業やコーディングを通じて少しずつ英語に慣れてもらいつつも、プログラミングはもちろん英語の理解力も高めることを目標としています。 ※新型コロナウィルスの状況を受けまして、5月18日~6月27日のファウンデーションズはオンラインで行われます。
    Tuition Plans通常料金: ¥176,000 (10%税込) 早割料金: ¥158,400 (10%税込)
    Minimum Skill Level受講するにあたって特に必要なスキルはございません。 どなたでも受講できます!
  • Masataka Shintoku  User Photo
    Masataka Shintoku • Software engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Code Chrysalis tells you not just engineering but presentation, networking and mindset.

As to software engineering, you can learn fundamentals, frontend and backend to be a full stack software engineer. When you learn each element, you need to understand the concept, implement example applications, and explain what you have understood through pair programming. Staffs help you to do so, but they won't give everything you need. You need to google for anything you need, which is necessary for any engineer.

As an engineer, you also need to tell your opinion, explain what you are implementing clearly. In Code Chrysalis, you can have a lot of opportunities like lightning talk, presentation and something like speaking about anything in front of people. You can exchange many feedbacks for improving yourself by staffs and classmates.

You can get many job searching helps like how to write your resume, practicing interviews including technique. I can ask them even after my graduation. If you have or acheive a lot of skills, you need to show them. You can know how to show your ability better way.

• Tsuyoshi Maeda  User Photo
    Tsuyoshi Maeda • Free lance engineer • Student Verified via GitHub

It's not for beginners but if you have passion of learning software skills I think you can make it until the end of this course.

In my case, I have an experience of programming for about 6 years so actually, I focused on getting communication skills in English. But I learned modern software development skills a lot such as TDD, Heroku CI, GraphQL and so on.

The reason why I put rate 4 in "Overall Experience" and "Curriculum" is that I felt easy in the beginning of this course but it was getting more difficult.

• Great experience
    - 11/10/2017
    Saba Ahmadi  User Photo
    Saba Ahmadi • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I traveled from Iran to join this bootcamp, It was totally great experience!☺️

The good point about this bootcamp is that they teach you how to learn fast.

You will experience extreme programming, Agile and so many other stuffs. It's like working in a real company. You'll learn pair programming, TDD, team work.

It's not like that you join this bootcamp and just improve your coding skills, you also learn about soft skills which you should be aware of for having better quality of working experience.

It's completely international group and they also accept international students and if you join the bootcamp from another country they try their best to help you and support you!

I totally recommend it to anyone with codeing experience.

In my pint of view, people who wants to join them should defanately consider the location! Tokyo is really nice city which is really worth visiting☺️👌🏻

• Ana • Graduate
    I work in tourism but because of the pandemic, I found myself with a lot of time on my hands, so this summer I found myself joining some random events and taking online courses about programming. I come from a completely non-technical background, so I was surprised that it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. But after a few weeks, I was discouraged by the slow progress I was making, and, at the same time, I wasn't even sure I was learning the right language. I found out about coding bootcamps, but I wasn't sure if they were worth the investment. That's why, when I saw that Code Chrysalis were offering a beginners' course, I decided to join and see what it's like to study in a more structured environment and with other people, as opposed to online self-study. I read some online reviews about the Foundations course, and it seemed like pretty much everyone thought it was "fun and easy". After going through it, I can definitely say the "fun" part is true, but I'm not so sure about the "easy" part.
    Here are some of my thoughts after graduating from CC Foundations 27:
    • It's a great introduction to Javascript for beginners, but at the same time, I think it's useful for those who are not new to JS or programming but want to review their basics. After each lesson, there are coding exercises for 4 levels, from basic to "nightmare", so each student can see what level they're at. For beginners like me, I was sometimes frustrating that even basic exercises took me a long time to solve, but it was challenging to try a higher than basic level, and if I was able to crack the code (pun intended), the satisfaction was even greater and it pushed me to try and learn more.
    • The lessons themselves are pretty basic, so the real learning comes from working on the coding challenges, as I mentioned above. This should be obvious, but as a beginner, I think I had expected something more like a coding tutorial, where we would learn how "something is done" and then try to do it on our own. But for many of the exercises, I had to google things on my own, and try to understand the more complex solutions provided on Stackoverflow, for example, and then adapt them to simpler code, which I was able to write at my own level. So in that respect, even though it's a beginners' course (and a short one for that matter!), it kind of forces you to work in a manner similar to what it's like for an actual software developer.
    • So one might ask, why should I pay (and not a little!) for a course if in the end I have to google the solutions myself? Well, even if you find the solutions online, you may not be able to fully understand the code and what it does, and that's when you can always check with the instructors of the course. All of the instructors and the TAs at CC were very helpful and always encouraged us to ask questions. There were quite a few of them for the Foundations course, and it could be frustrating at times having a different instructor with every lesson, because sometimes it felt like there was little continuity from one lesson to another, but on the other hand, I think this was also supposed to teach us how to work with and learn from different people and different coding styles. Also, the more instructors the better, because we could get an answer on Slack faster from whoever was available.
    • All in all, there was a lot packed in a 5-week course, which is why I don't think it was easy. I would advise anyone who is thinking about taking the Foundations to study Javascript a little bit prior to starting the course, so that you can really take advantage of all the resources available throughout the course. I think even if you know the basics, this course can give you the opportunity to level-up, and also to meet great people in the industry and expand your network.

• TSUYOSHI AKIYAMA • software engineer • Graduate

It's not an easy to learn new things even if this is what you're interested in.
    For me, programming is cool thing that I'd wanted to acquire for years.
    However, I got to realize that the thing required me so much efforts that I gave it up easily.

In my case, I've experienced to work as a junior engineer in Japanese IT company for year. Even though, It is hard to learn modern development by myself since there're quite ton of new things to learn.

I also wanted to contribute myself to dev community more, so I decided to join in Code Chrysalis.
    What I learn the most there is the way to learn new things quickly. Rather, students were required to do so for meeting the deadline of daily task. It must've been extremely exciting and challenging. I could barely keep up with that speed:)

They taught not only technology but also benefits for good, like speech about tech talk, presentation skill as engineer, mindset, something like that.

This is exactly, as they say, "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

If you're curious about Code Chrysalis, I highly recommend you just to say hi to them, and what's more, they are always so friendly.

• 本山 公子 • React Engineer • Graduate

I don’t know if my review will do justice. This coding boot camp isn’t just a school. They’ve become my family, and it has changed my life dramatically. I had done a little bit of JavaScript before, but I was lacking knowledge. I also had no idea where to start. There’s so much information online but it made absolutely no sense to me.

Joining Code Chrysalis was the best investment I’ve ever made in my entire life. I borrowed money to get in and to pay off bills because I was dirt poor. But it was more than worth the money.

So let me tell you the procedure in order to get in.

First, you have to pass the coding challenge online to apply for the course. Then you go through a technical interview. I failed once, but they give you all the resources and feedback to pass the interview. I studied based on that and I passed it the second time. Barely, though. My interviewer told me that I’m not at the same level as others, so I really need to study but told me that I can do it. She was very encouraging from the very beginning.

I then was given a material for the pre-course. This is where you work on your Javascript skills so you’ll be prepared for the actual course. This is done at home, and you have to complete this before you start the course. It was a lot of material and I quit my job so I can concentrate on it. I really struggled through callbacks and recursion, and never fully understood it. But they were always checking in on us and they would invite you to work at their coworking space to help you. The support starts as soon as you join, and I had no idea at that time that they help you so much even after you graduate, and pretty much forever.

The immersive course (the actual course) was super hard. I was clueless most of the time. Everyone else in the class was asking relevant questions during the lectures and I was still trying to understand the first slide. I never finished the recursion assignments and most of the code coffees (algorithm practice that you do everyday in the morning as practice) and I felt miserable. But they offer to help A LOT. They really want you to succeed. They would gladly sit next to you and explain things in detail. They are happy to do it, too. You can tell that they really care and want to help you. Even today after graduating, they volunteer to help you when you say you’re struggling with something.

What I really liked about this school is that they prepare you for a full stack. You cover so much and at a very fast pace. You cover computer science, database, frontend libraries like redux and react, vue and vuex, backend like express, TDD, CI/CD, job hunting techniques, building your professional profile, tech talks and presentation skills, communication skills, etc etc etc .. the list goes on forever. You also visit prestigious companies and do presentations using their technology, go to workshops, etc. I don’t want to spoil it to you too much, but there’s so much that you learn, and sometimes I didn’t understand why we had to do some of them- but it turns out that those skills really helped during the interviews, and that usually got me through the first interviews. So everything you do at Code Chrysalis is important, even if you don’t understand the purpose sometimes. And you’ll use that skill and be thankful for it. I guarantee it.

After graduating, we checked in every week to share our job hunting process. This is also very helpful and I got a ton of guidance and encouragement during this process. I don’t think I could’ve gone through this job hunting hell without their guidance and support. I was also super broke and they let me teach their foundations course part time, which saved me. They take care of you beyond programming and job hunting. They become your family. They’re always so excited to share you great job opportunities and encouraging you and giving you great advice.

With their help, I was able to receive several offers, and even negotiated the salary! I am at a company now that pays more than twice the salary at my last company!!! Even now they still ask how my job is going and check in with me often. They don't just "run a business" - they will be your best friend, someone that you can always trust and rely on for anything.

If you're thinking about joining, you should do it ASAP. It's such a wonderful program that everyone wants to get in. The acceptance rate is around 20% (I think?), so if you get in, you should be very proud of yourself. You should also really be prepared to work really really hard. It's a hard course, and definitely not for beginners. Although if you're a beginner, they also offer a foundations course which is 4 weeks, 3 times a week. I taught foundations after graduating the immersive course, and I learned so much from that course too. So if money is not an issue, it's probably best to take both.

• New set of skills
    - 8/29/2018
    Xiaozhou Jia • Graduate

(Note: My company supported me during the program and I'm still working at the same company, that explains why I set the "Job support" to not applicable.)

Before going through this program, I had already been working as an DevOps engineer on a totally different technology stack.
    And this program gave me a new set of skills that I'm pretty sure I'll benefit a lot in my career.

Here are some good points.
    - A decent understanding of JavaScript and a good exposure to its eco-system, especially on front end frameworks/libraries.
    - An opportunity to learn something I always wanted to learn, and build some projects I always wanted to build.
    - Some very good practice in modern software engineering industry and some good habitat of communication. Pair programming, giving feedback are the ones I personally value the most.

And there are some low-level topics(like operating system, TCP/IP and etc) not covered very well.
    But I think the staff team have made the hard trade off since the time is quite limited, and it's unrealistic to expect that you can learn everything about computer science and software engineering during three months.
    Make the right expectation and I believe one can learn enough skills to prepare oneself as a software engineer.

• Kumiko Haraguchi • Graduate

Code Chrysalis provided us with much more than a regular full-stack bootcamp will probably do. I was able to acquire all the backend skills (I was a frontend developer) that I was hoping to learn, but also there were great opportunities that I didn't expect to have before the course. I'll mention 3 of them.

(1) Learn how to learn - You get to learn how to learn new things and how to solve problems by yourself. Asking others for answers is easy but it doesn't help you to grow as an engineer.

(2) TDD & CI・CD - You get to learn TDD throughout the course, and CI/CD using Heroku pipeline in team projects. Experience these modern development technics was pretty amazing for me.

(3) Real world activities - We were so lucky to have so many activities including a lean startup methodology workshop at Pivotal Japan, an interview with a foodbank NPO, guest talks about UX, the cultural differences between Japanese and American in a business setting etc, a collaboration project with RakutenMap. Can't name all...

If you like challenges, want to learn modern technics and enjoy to expand your knowledge outside of the technology, this course is highly recommended:)

• Michael Sodaro • Graduate

I came into this program with a strong computer science background but weak web development experience.  This course as purported goes back-to-front covering all the messy details of creating a modern web app framework to completion.  The second half of the course is dedicated to creating individual and collaborative full stack projects in an Agile workflow.  Instructor quality is high and selected students are friendly and passionate.  Worth every penny.

- 10/6/2017
    Bill Feng • Software Engineer • Graduate

Intense but rewarding course. Not for beginners. I was a backend engineer and I joined because I wanted to be a full-stack developer. Learned a lot and really appreicate all the help and opportunities the company and the instructors offered us. The location of the classroom is in downtown Tokyo, so very convenient. The course is taught in English. Outside of tech the personal branding and carer planning parts of the course was also extremely useful. If you're looking to go hard and acrquire advanced skillsets, consider taking this course.

• Anonymous • software engineer (mobile) • Graduate
     It was crucial for me.
    I moved to Japan with my wife without a detailed plan. I was just going to "figure things out" as my previous career was not for me and I wanted a serious change in life...
    I made "it" happen and C.C. was a big part of me getting a job in Tokyo.

It took me three months of studying to pass the interview to be accepted to the course. The precourse lasted two months. The course itself was a full time of three months... and I mean FULL TIME ;)
    The C.C. assisted me in finding a job. They put a lot of effort into that.

The staff has done a great job. I'm impressed. ;)
  • Anonymous • natejneumann@yahoo.com • Student

I have experience with the Foundations course, and have also sat in on the Immersive and worked with the graduates of that program. Code Chrysalis is an amazing bootcamp -- they do a fantastic job of preparing students for professional work in software engineering -- and they provide both the Foundations and Immersive courses, so people of all entry levels can achieve that career transformation.

The staff is kind and helpful too, with students and the community. Tons of free public events for the Tokyo tech scene too. Love it.