code-chrysalis-logo

Code Chrysalis

Tokyo

Code Chrysalis

Code Chrysalis is a coding bootcamp located in Tokyo, Japan. Code Chrysalis has a rigorous, industry-aligned curriculum, career placement support and mentorship to transform students into autonomous, full-stack software engineers. Built around a Silicon Valley-focus, Code Chrysalis promotes agile workflows, extreme programming, and a growth mindset through personal and team full stack projects. Classes are taught in Japanese and English.

Code Chrysalis offers two bootcamp courses. The Immersive Bootcamp is a full-time, 12-week software engineering coding bootcamp. Immersive students complete a capstone team project and learn languages such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript, git, Node, Express, and React. The Foundations Bootcamp is a 5-7 week, part-time introduction to software programming course for beginners. At the end of Foundations, students will be able to create logic-using code, develop engineering autonomy, and practice having a growth mindset.

Recent Code Chrysalis Reviews: Rating 4.89

all (27) reviews for Code Chrysalis →

Recent Code Chrysalis News

Read all (4) articles about Code Chrysalis →
  • Foundations [ENGLISH] - part-time 10-week intro to programming course

LocationTokyo
    Foundations [ENGLISH] is our part-time, 10-week introduction to programming course for beginners. We do not believe that you can create a sustainable software engineering career by going to a coding program for beginners promising full-stack web applications in one month. Our course is designed for beginners who want to pursue a new fulfilling career path. Our Foundations introduction to programming class is offered in both English and Japanese.
    Tuition PlansRegular price: ¥99,000 (10% tax inclusive)
    ScholarshipFor scholarship information, please check: https://www.codechrysalis.io/scholarships/
    Minimum Skill LevelThis is a beginner course and there is no minimum skill level. Everyone is welcome!
  • Foundations [ENGLISH] - part-time 5-week intro to programming course

LocationTokyo
    Foundations [ENGLISH] is our part-time, 5-week introduction to programming course for beginners. We do not believe that you can create a sustainable software engineering career by going to a coding program for beginners promising full-stack web applications in one month. Our course is designed for beginners who want to pursue a new fulfilling career path. Our Foundations introduction to programming class is offered in both English and Japanese. *Due to the COVID-19 situation in Tokyo, May 19 - June 27 Foundations class will be held online. Courses that are currently planned to be held onsite may be held online. If there are any changes, we will announce them on our website as soon as possible.
    Tuition PlansRegular price: ¥99,000 (10% tax inclusive)
  • FOUNDATIONS LITE - Self-paced Intro to Programming

OnlinePart Time
    Cost¥27,000
    LocationTokyo
    On-Demand Lectures Watch and rewatch all the lectures from our top-notch instructors, taking you from complete beginner to building your own simple web pages and projects. On-Demand Lectures Watch and rewatch all the lectures from our top-notch instructors, taking you from complete beginner to building your own simple web pages and projects. Motivated Community 6 months of access to weekly remote group study sessions guided by dedicated instructors. Join our large community of learners to motivate you and make friends. Lifetime Access to Curriculum Lifetime access to our thorough curriculum ensures you build a solid set of fundamental skills. Learn how to do things on your computer, rather than just coding in a browser. Support When You Need It Get on-demand guidance from instructors through Slack anytime. Packed with beginner to advanced exercises and portfolio projects to challenge you and push you forward. Learn at your own pace, with our help along the way.
  • IMMERSIVE PART-TIME [ENGLISH/ONLINE] - 25-week software engineering course

SQL, React.js, Product Management, Node.js, JavaScript, HTML, GitHub, Git, Front End, Express.js, CSS
    LocationTokyo
    The Immersive Part-Time course is our fully remote version of our full-time Immersive bootcamp spread across 25 weeks. Don't just learn to codeーlearn how to think like an engineer. Learn the fundamental skills and knowledge required to become an autonomous software engineer competitive in today's ever evolving tech world. Our curriculum is industry-aligned with a Silicon Valley-mindset, optimized for efficiency and impact. Master Fundamentals Build a strong foundation essential for working as a software engineer rapidly changing pace of the tech industry. Lifetime Career Support From resume polishing to salary negotiation, we cover it all. Our graduates get a higher average salary than Tokyo's industry average. Build a Competitive Portfolio Each student builds a portfolio of full-stack projects during the course in languages and technologies common in today's job market. Preparing for Career Longevity From presentation skills to team work and communication, our program not only prepares people for the technical requirements of the job, but also everything else that moves your career forward.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic programming fundamentals in JavaScript
    Prep WorkAfter getting accepted, students are required to complete Precourse (set of assessments) before joining the Immersive
  • The Immersive Bootcamp [ENGLISH] - full-time 12-week software engineering course

SQL, React.js, Product Management, Node.js, JavaScript, HTML, Git, Front End, Express.js, CSS
    LocationTokyo
    Code Chrysalis's Immersive program is a full-time, 12-week coding bootcamp in Tokyo, Japan, focused on building autonomous and versatile software engineers. Our curriculum is industry-aligned and optimized for efficiency and impact. In an effort to maximize learning during the program, all accepted students are expected to complete a provided pre-course curriculum before the on-site class begins. At Code Chrysalis, students can transition from only knowing the basics of programming to becoming engineers ready to enter the industry and actively contribute from the start. We've developed a solid, full-stack foundation that every engineer needs to in order to excel. We teach contrasting technologies (e.g. React/Vue or REST/GraphQL) so students are able to form independent, educated opinions about them. With our focus on meta-learning, students are immersed in an environment that requires them to become autonomous problem-solvers and pick up new technologies on their own. On the soft skills side, we teach students effective communication practices necessary to perform seamlessly in modern software engineering teams and to shine in technical and non-technical job interviews. Our Immersive course will be offered in both English and Japanese.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic programming fundamentals in JavaScript
  • イマーシブパートタイム - 25週間のプログラミング集中型コース

Cost$1,320,000
    LocationTokyo
    オンラインで参加できるシリコンバレー式最難関のエンジニアブートキャンプです。イマーシブ(フルタイム)とは異なり、日中の学校や仕事を続けながら参加できることが特徴です。 イマーシブパートタイムの3つの挑戦 1. イマーシブパートタイムに入学するには、合格率20%の入学試験を通過する必要があります。(初心者の方は、まずファウンデーションズを受講してみてください。) 2. 授業に加え宿題をこなしていく短期集中型のプログラムです。日本にいながら海外にいるようなグローバルな学習環境を体験してください。「グローバルに活躍するとはどういうことか」を肌で感じ、体得できます。 3. 卒業試験があり、高度なレベルのソフトウェア開発を進めます。実践を通して、卒業時点でどんなテクノロジーにも素早く応用できる即戦力の高いソフトウェアエンジニアとなっていきます。
    Minimum Skill LevelJavaScriptのプログラミングの基礎
    Prep Work受け入れられた後、学生はイマーシブに参加する前にプレコース(一連の評価)を完了する必要があります
  • イマーシブ[日本語] - 12週間のプログラミング集中型コース

LocationTokyo
    イマーシブは、自律性を持った柔軟性の高いソフトウェアエンジニアを育てることを目的とした、フルタイムの高度なプログラムです。カリキュラムは業界の要望に沿い、能率とインパクトを与えるために最適化されています。 卒業したら終わりではなく、ご自分で持続可能なキャリアを描けるソフトウェアエンジニアに育つプロ グラム構成になっています。 このコースからより多くを学んでもらえるよう、合格した生徒にはコースが始まる前にプリコースカリキュラムを完了してもらいます。 コードクリサリスでは、生徒がプログラミングの基礎を分かっている状態から即戦力となるエンジニアへと飛躍的にスキルを伸ばすことができます。 私たちのコースは、全ての優れているエンジニアが必要であろうフルスタックの基礎が学べるものとなっています。全く異なるテクノロジー(e.g. React/Vue or REST/GraphQL)を教えることで、生徒らは自らこれらのテクノロジーについて自分の意見を持つようになります。また、私たちはメタ学習に注力しており、生徒らは自発的に解決策をみつけ、新しいテクノロジーを自ら身に着けていく環境で過ごします。ソフトスキルの面では、どうすればソフトウェアエンジニアのチーム内で円滑なコミュニケーションがとれるか、どうすれば就活時のテクニカル・ノンテクニカルインタビューでうまく話せるかを教えます。 イマーシブは英語と日本語の両方のプログラムを用意しております。 ※ミッションや到達点は英語のイマーシブプログラムと同じでありながら、日本語で学ぶためにコンテンツを追加・変更しています。 ※次のイマーシブクラスにつきましては、現地開催もしくはオンライン、どちらで受講するか選べます:8月日本語イマーシブ、11月日本語イマーシブ。
    Depositデポジット: ¥100,000 (10%税込)
    Scholarshipスカラーシップの最新情報についてはこちらをご覧ください: https://www.codechrysalis.io/scholarships/
    Minimum Skill LevelJavaScriptの基本的なプログラミング基礎
    Prep Workイマーシブの入学テストに合格しましたら、イマーシブが始まる前にプリコース(事前課題)を終わらせる必要があります。
  • ファウンデーションズ ライト - インストラクターのサポートを受けながら、自分のペースでプログラミングの基盤を学ぶ

OnlinePart Time
    Cost¥27,000
    LocationTokyo
    好きな時間と場所で、強固な基礎を身につける ファウンデーションズ(5週間または10週間のプログラム)と同じカリキュラムですが、指定された時間の授業に参加せず、ご自身のライフスタイルに合わせて進められることが特徴です。週に1回、20分間の講師との一対一のセッションを最大9回予約することができます。 こんな方におすすめです 「即戦力、応用力と柔軟性を持つエンジニアへの第一歩を踏み出したい」 「エンジニアともっと効率的にコミュニケーションができるようになりたい」 「スキルアップのために、まずプログラミングの基礎を学びたい」 そんな思いを秘めた方にぜひ受けていただきたいプログラムです。 ファウンデーションズライトを受講する方のバックグラウンドは様々です。英語教師、デザイナー、プロダクトマネージャー、アナリスト、マーケター、CEO、ディレクター、バレーダンサー、学生など、多くの人がプログラミング経験ゼロから始めました。
  • ファウンデーションズ[日本語] - 10週間の初心者向け基礎コース

LocationTokyo
    ファウンデーションズ[日本語/オンライン]は、学校や会社を続けながら通えるプログラミング初心者向けの7週間のパートタイムのプログラムです。 「たった1ヶ月でフルスタックなWebアプリケーションを開発できるようになる」と謳うプログラムで、本当にソフトウェアエンジニアとして持続可能なキャリアを切り開くことができるのでしょうか?私たちは自走できるソフトウェアエンジニアを育てるプログラムを提供しています。このファウンデーションズでは初心者の方がソフトウェアエンジニアになる一歩を踏み出し、プロレベルを学ぶ入り口に立つプログラムです。 本プログラムは英語と日本語の両方のプログラムを用意しております。 ※日本語でのプログラムでは授業は全て日本語で行いますが、英語の教材も使用するというチャレンジングな内容となっています。ソフトウェアエンジニアとしてのキャリアを築くためには英語のスキルは必要不可欠です。授業やコーディングを通じて少しずつ英語に慣れてもらいつつも、プログラミングはもちろん英語の理解力も高めることを目標としています。
    Tuition Plans通常料金: ¥99,000 (10%税込)
    Minimum Skill Level受講するにあたって特に必要なスキルはございません。 どなたでも受講できます!
  • ファウンデーションズ[日本語] - 5週間の初心者向け基礎コース

LocationTokyo
    ファウンデーションズ[日本語/現地開催]は、学校や会社を続けながら通えるプログラミング初心者向けの5週間のパートタイムのプログラムです。 「たった1ヶ月でフルスタックなWebアプリケーションを開発できるようになる」と謳うプログラムで、本当にソフトウェアエンジニアとして持続可能なキャリアを切り開くことができるのでしょうか?私たちは自走できるソフトウェアエンジニアを育てるプログラムを提供しています。このファウンデーションズでは初心者の方がソフトウェアエンジニアになる一歩を踏み出し、プロレベルを学ぶ入り口に立つプログラムです。 本プログラムは英語と日本語の両方のプログラムを用意しております。 ※日本語でのプログラムでは授業は全て日本語で行いますが、英語の教材も使用するというチャレンジングな内容となっています。ソフトウェアエンジニアとしてのキャリアを築くためには英語のスキルは必要不可欠です。授業やコーディングを通じて少しずつ英語に慣れてもらいつつも、プログラミングはもちろん英語の理解力も高めることを目標としています。 ※新型コロナウィルスの状況を受けまして、5月18日~6月27日のファウンデーションズはオンラインで行われます。
    Tuition Plans通常料金: ¥99,000 (10%税込)
    Minimum Skill Level受講するにあたって特に必要なスキルはございません。 どなたでも受講できます!
  • Yoshio Hasegawa  User Photo
    Yoshio Hasegawa • Backend Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Code Chrysalis is a fast-paced, well-rounded bootcamp for anyone looking to break into the Software Engineering space. I couldn't have asked for a better curriculum, given the short amount of time common with most bootcamps. There is also room for students to pursue their own interests, tools and, technologies. I would encourage you to make the most of this opportunity because, what you get out of it is truly what you put in. If you want to come out of this bootcamp qualified for full-stack/backend/front-end, you need to make sure you put in your best effort. It's amazing what you can accomplish if just 12-weeks. I was offered a backend developer role 1.5 months out of the bootcamp. I couldn't be happier. This was one of the best decision of my life.
  • Jay  User Photo
    Jay • Full-Stack Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I was in a real rough patch in 2020. I got cancelled from a job before I could sign a contract due to sudden Covid hiring freezes, I got put on ice from the part-time job I found because the eikaiwa closed due to covid. by June I lost pretty much everything save for my 2m x 4m room. I Spent most of my savings on a move to Tokyo for the hope of growth and instead was a week from packing my bags, calling it a failed attempt and going home.

But I remembered the name Code Chrysalis and ran to immigration to plan out what the next 6 months would look like for me. Fast forward I started the Foundations course in June and interviewed multiple times for the immersive. After a couple of attempts, I got my acceptance letter.  I was an official member of CC15 cohort I thought.

After your official acceptance check-in they give you a rundown of the pre-course. you must pass the basic requirements of the remote pre-course before the main course. As someone with no coding experience I felt challenged and had my fair share of struggle, but the instructors had weekly check-ins with AMA's to help you along.

Once the main course began we had daily lectures, sprints, projects, and weekly assessments. As overwhelming as it was, I never felt like I didn't know what I was doing. Toward the halfway point, it mainly becomes a combination of solo and group projects that really build out your Github and online presence. When I graduated I felt like I had several accomplishments, projects, open source contributions, interview prep, and an arsenal of soft skills and hard skills backed by project experience.

This and a few other things I may have missed is where the things covered in the tuition stop. However the bonus that you get, is a really clean modern facility with wholesome staff. In my case I was in an amazing cohort (SHOUT OUT CC15!). Together, everyone built a community of mutual respect, pulling each other out of funks, empowering each other to push the envelope more and more and really life long friendships.

In Japan the nail that sticks out gets hammered down. My experience taught me that its not necessarily bad to stick out. In fact the people who stuck out drove me to stick out in my own way.  It helped me reconcile my qualms with my past careers, and defined my future career. Our collaboration week with mymizu inspired all of us with how we can do good with code.

Before I came to Code Chrysalis, I didn't have anything but an intense desire to reclaim my old life. Coming out of it, of course I had the skills the curriculum promised but I walked out with so much more and that was finally having a community here in Japan.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TLDR:
    - Chase your dream ferociously
    - Build something you love
    - Have a growth mindset
    - Get "Gritty"
    - Be Kind, not just to others but also yourself...ALWAYS

• Laurence  User Photo
    Laurence • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I'm Filipino currently living in the Philippines. Before taking code chrysalis, I dropped out of college at my 2nd year of Physical Therapy due to personal issues. However, that didn't stop me from wanting to learn something new, I decided to teach my self a bit of code for months on and off because it can get unmotivating at sometimes. When I realized I needed to change because it's not going to work, I decided to take the Foundations class. I figured that this will not only give me the opportunity to learn a skill but also to connect with people that are born in different parts of the world and having the same mindset with them, to learn. During my foundations, the instructors were so helpful and approachable they are filled with enthusiasm every lectures. They are always willing to help even during their off days. Lastly, I'm also going to continue to take their Immersive class as well this up coming year.
  • Nemanja Milenkovic  User Photo
    Nemanja Milenkovic • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Trying to handle a different tech each week - all with the lack of sleep caused by the work on the previous sprint and the preparation for the next public talk about a framework/library/language that I never even heard of just a month before.
    It was tough.

And I enjoyed every single moment of it.

Being around so many brilliant, like minded people that share the same goal. A collaboration that created an unparalleled environment where you get no other option but to try harder, overcome and do more.
    Skills to proceed, and the people I got to know during the course - It was everything I expected and much more.
  • Matthew  User Photo
    Matthew • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I have had a variety of jobs over the past two decades, none of which were technical. Nor were my previous studies  technical in nature. I was working in regional Queensland and I had become interested in coding. While I had done some some self study, I lacked a coding community to learn from and gain direction from.

After researching a number of bootcamps in America, Australia and Tokyo, I chose to attend Code Chrysalis due to a balance of reasons. Cost, time, syllabus and a recommendation by a friend who is a 10 year veteran of software engineering in Tokyo.

The course provided the structure to learn, progress and gain marketable skills. While the course has projects, goals and deadlines there is still freedom within that framework to explore areas which are of interest. I meet amazing and diverse people from the people in my cohort, other cohorts and the staff who I am still in regular contact with.

My cohort during the three month immersive was a mix of people with engineering backgrounds, other technical backgrounds or no prior technical background like myself. It was 12 weeks of hard work and long hours, but at the end of it I was able to find employment as an engineer in Tokyo and transition into a new career at the age of 43.

Code Chrysalis is about building a community of engineers and providing support, even after the 12 weeks is over. During my job hunt I was able to get advice, book practice interviews and white boarding tests with the staff. I know that even now if I need someone to review my latest CV draft or run a practice technical interview I can contact Code Chrysalis and they will help me out.
  • Hiroyuki Momoi  User Photo
    Hiroyuki Momoi • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Code Chrysalis is an excellent coding bootcamp. There's no doubt that the course curriculum itself is outstanding. You can learn software engineering with the Bay-area latest style while living in Japan. It teaches you to become autonomous.

However, since a lot of ex-students have already written about the application process and what the immersive course is like, I'd like to share the three best things about Code Chrysalis beside the course itself.

1. Psychological safety
    If you want to seriously achieve in something, you should immerse yourself in an intense environment and must get out your comfort zone. And then you need to do try & error until you feel like you got this. To do that, "Okay-to-make-a-mistake" atmosphere is really important. Code Chrysalis knows that and they provides mentoring and takes great care of their student's to build psychological safety atmosphere within the class.

2. Awesome classmate and Networking
    This course is very intense. To be honest, the 12-weeks program was really hard. Since you overcome this hard obstacle together with your classmates and the staff, they become pretty much like family. This friendship is the one of the best things I got from this course. Also they do a lot of meetups, such as giving a tech-talk in the public event, which is part of the course. you can build a wide network of connections through the course by being exposed to the public.

3. International environment
    I think an ONLY-English program is super rare in Japan. Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure there is only one or two international diverse environment in Tokyo. Being Japanese, I think it's really hard to put yourself in an only-English communication environment. But because of this environment, I gained the confidence in my English work for an international company. This is tremendous achievement for me.

• Daenam Kim  User Photo
    Daenam Kim • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I was working for many years as a software engineer in Japan but it was not so challenging. So I wanted and decided to challenge absolutely different things with international people. Luckily I found Code Chrysalis which is perfectly matched to me.

Code Chrysalis gave me many different kind of experiences, not just learning and working with international people but also key things to be an autonomous expert (includes body relational exercises). All I have done here were so valuable, extreme and made me stronger through each curriculum and projects for 3 months. For instance, I was not a person speaking well before people but now I don't have any problem with that because my face has become an iorn mask through bunch of speech. What I want to say is whatever it is such as techs, relationships even games! something you feel uncomfortable, you can make it your comfortable here.

Also you can find a new interest in your life and test it as well. For me, during the course, I found the new interest and got a job where I can do it with international people in Tokyo.

Now it's your turn, be happy!

• Charles  User Photo
    Charles • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I am an American born and raised with some background in Shanghai. After graduating college as an Electrical Engineering major and working at a stale job for a year, I decided that I wanted to do something more challenging and more in demand so I started learning programming in my spare time. I was looking up coding bootcamps when I saw a news article on Code Chrysalis and found that it was a bootcamp in Tokyo. It has always been my dream to work in Tokyo so I thought this was literally the perfect opportunity. I did a bunch of research, found the price to be much cheaper than the popular bootcamps in the Bay Area, and checked to see that the stack that they teach was up-to-date and competitive so I followed my gut and went with it.

It wasn't just all easy moving forwards. Saying that I was challenged during the course is an understatement. Signing up for this bootcamp is 3 months of isolation where you do nothing but code from 9-6 and that's the minimum. Most of my weekends were spent working on sprints, team projects, and preparing a 45 minute tech talk that we present to the public. Code Chrysalis didn't just challenge my technical ability, it also forced me out of my comfort zone completely. They honed our abilities to code, network, communicate with teammates, present to crowds, and most important face new challenges. By the end of the program, I was at the level of a junior developer technically, but I was confident that I could rise the ranks very quickly with what I learned there.

I now have a job in Tokyo at an English speaking startup that sponsors my visa and I literally owe it all to Code Chrysalis. They are not just a bootcamp, but a network for jobs, the Tokyo tech scene, friends, and games. I cannot recommend it enough.

• Yuma Sumi  User Photo
    Yuma Sumi • Software engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

A year ago, I was a professional ballet dancer, who did not even know the difference between software and hardware. Now I am working as software engineer at the startup in Tokyo. Can you imagine?

It was last summer when I joined Foundations Course of Code Chrysalis, one-month curriculum of JavaScript for an absolute beginner. I was very impressed by the depth of teachers' understanding in JS - but more than that, I could not believe they are just the graduates from CC's three-month program, having learned all they know just by attending to it - and that is, one and only Immersive Course.

So Foundations course was already more than what I expected in terms of the quality of the exercises and lectures, and which led me to the "successful application" of Immersive right after I graduated from Foundations.

Following 1-2 months of the comprehensive pre-course, the most memorable 3 months started. From Monday to Friday, from 9 to 6, everything was about coding. It was very intense, but I never felt down due to the lack of my skill and experience, because I had warm support from the instructors and the founders, and knew it was not only me but my classmates who were going through many challenges.

This journey is definitely not easy, and you might not even notice how far you have come. And that is exactly how I felt when I, to my surprise, got a job offer, only 2 days after my graduation.

The fact that this incredible community in Tokyo is growing rapidly, and all the graduates are very friendly and helpful to each other, means that you will have more chances than the previous cohorts to find an engineering job in Japan, as more and more graduates started working as a future CTO in Japan. You might think that you can learn coding anywhere, and which may be true, but here at Code Chrysalis, you will be immersed more than you have ever imagined.

• Changed my career
    - 10/22/2018
    Alexander Ogilvie  User Photo
    Alexander Ogilvie • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Before I discovered Code Chrysalis, I was working as an English teacher for an elementary school in Japan. I really enjoyed my job, but there was no chance for me to progress. As such, I didn't really feel like I had a career at all.

I discovered Code Chrysalis in July of 2017, when I attended a meetup called 'Intro to JavaScript'. It was my first encounter with coding, and I immediately knew it was something I enjoyed. I spend around 6 months learning by myself, before successfully passing the interview test and getting a spot at CC.

Before the course began, there was a comprehensive 'precourse' of materials to complete. This gave me plenty of work to do, and ensured a more even knowledge level once the course began.

The course itself is divided into two parts. In the first six weeks, you learn about every aspect of full-stack software development. Front-end, back-end, database, a grounding in computer science, algorithmic problem-solving, UX/UI design, and pair-programming. You're introduced to a wide range of technologies which are actually used in industry.

The last six weeks are dedicated to taking what you've learned, and building things with it. You'll build a minimum of three full-stack applications, and are given almost total freedom in what to build and how to approach the projects. Your only limit is your imagination!

One week is spent building a full-stack app using a language you've never touched before. This was intimidating, but it showed me that even though the language might be totally alien, the concepts of full-stack can be carried over.

Interspersed throughout the course are soft-skill classes. Things like resume writing, technical and non-technical interview practice, whiteboarding sessions, and peer-review. These are the sorts of skills that are very difficult to practice alone.

The last few weeks of the course are dedicated to a single project. I was amazed at what it was possible to build given a limited time and a few other equally passionate people.

The staff are very attentive and supportive; they really care whether you succeed. And I met five other incredibly talented students who will be my friends for life.

The support didn't end when the course was over. To this day, I still receive advice on career advancement, notice of exciting opportunities, and a support group that is invaluable.

Nine months ago I was an English teacher. Now I'm a Full-Stack Software Engineer. Change your career.

• Mike D  User Photo
    Mike D • Lead Database Developer • Student Verified via GitHub

After working as a DBA for many years I had the unique opportunity to spend the time to learn some new skills. I had some options for this, but I will always be glad that I chose Code Chrysalis. The technologies we learned (JavaScript, Git, Express.js, Node.js, GraphQL, REdis, Kafka, the list goes on) more than met the expectations of what I wanted to learn, but what I hadn't expected was learning a new mindset.

The immersive course isn't just about learning how to write JavaScript well, it is learning how to think about technology projects and probably most of all learning how to learn in a new way. I was not comfortable for much of my time in the program, but it pushed me just enough to learn more than I ever have in such a short period of time. And to then use what I learned to build things. It also reminded me that being comfortable is not always a good thing in an IT career.

Lastly, the most surprising aspect of Code Chrysalis wasn't the tech that I learned, but the camaraderie I found with people taking a similar journey.

• Takahiro Morita  User Photo
    Takahiro Morita • Technical Solutions Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I have graduated from the immersive program on June 2018.

The reasons I selected Code Chrysalis from a lot of similar programs in Japan are:

1. JavaScript: The program uses JavaScript as the main language because JavaScript is the only language work in web browsers.
    2. Fast-learning skill: Engineers are expected to have a lot of knowledge and experience, here you experience like a drinking water from a fire hose. You cannot avoid getting this skill.
    3. Small group: Some boot camp starts with a lot of students which I don't prefer. I expect staffs pay attention to each student and everyone has chances equally.
    4. Hack Reactor graduates: Hack Reactor which is very very famous boot camp in the US and delivers excellent engineers in the giant tech companies. Hack reactor graduates work here, they know what students to do to succeed as an engineer.

What I received from Code Chrysalis are uncountable, but if I select 7 things. Here you are.

1. 5 capstone projects: You build your own projects with various technologies that help a lot of ways not only for job hunting but also for real working. In my case, I have learned time management and MVP concept(Minimal Viable Project) that helps a lot when you are assigned into real projects when you start to work.
    2. Helpful support from friendly staffs: During the program, I have faced tough challenges to catch up on concepts and technologies such as asynchronous and React, which all of the students with the same generations with me learned them quickly. However, staffs are friendly you can talk whenever you want and ask questions to make sure your understanding. Also, they helped me with building tailored assignments.
    3. The latest technologies: Technologies we students learn are kept updating by skillful engineering staffs. They know what students need to learn now. We can stay up to date to survive as an engineer. And going through the program you start to enjoy learning new things by yourself, you cannot stop learning new things during your off-time. I learned webGL, MobX, Three.js that helps a lot while looking for a job by the way.
    4. Networking: During the program, you have a lot of chances to meet with tech leaders that help a lot when you start your job search. The chances are everywhere, sometimes you meet at school because they want to meet with students who passed an enrollment assessment, sometimes you meet at your own Meetup(we take place our own Meetup by the way), sometimes out of school.
    5. Job assistance: Although the school does not guarantee to get a job, staffs support students to find a job with a variety of supports such as whiteboarding, interview questions and so on even after you graduated from Code Chrysalis.
    6. Get confidence as an engineer: In my opinion, this is the biggest benefit what I acquire through the program. I changed my career from a mechanical engineer, so I couldn’t get confidence as an engineer because I have no experience. But to start something new, all you need as a first step is a confidence. Here, in Code Chrysalis you expose a lot of challenges with your team every day, and those made me succeed.
    7. New family: This is a sort of networking, but you find closer people. Because you expose yourself to different background students and staffs with tough challenges for 12 weeks. You discuss, argue, quarrel, grow up and drink(Yay!!) every day, you cannot buy this bond with money. And it continues after you graduated from the program. Also, you find different approaches that you have never come up with yourself, which helped me to have a habit to read source code in OSS.

Additional, before applying for this program I amazed with the tuition fee that looks a bit pricey, but now I regret why I did not apply for this program earlier and I am very happy working with talented colleagues with unbelievable salary and benefits in the international environment traveling abroad.