bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (456) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Curt Hargis • Student

I am about two months in to Bloc's Designer Track and my experience so far has been great. The checkpoints in the course cover all of the concepts and skills one needs to master to succeed as a Web Designer, and the information contained in the checkpoints cover the subjects in depth and detail. The assignments at the end of each checkpoint are challenging, but Bloc provides plenty of resources and the Tech Success Team in Slack is always available to help. If you're looking for a program to join to learn Web Design i'd highly recommend Bloc.

- 11/15/2018
    Lucy N. • Student

My Bloc experience has been amazingly rewarding to say the least. I had abit of a background with code but after moving to a new country, trying to settle in and getting into a totally different industry, I found it difficult to get back into programming and going through the hurdles on my own, as I updated myself with the many different technologies that have come up. Mid 2017, I started doing my research, looking for a school to help me update my skills. I was fascinated by Bloc from the time I first went through their website. Being as curious as I am, I decided to schedule a call and ask a few questions. I needed to be sure of what Bloc was about - and not just going by what I saw on their website. Their response was quick, and I got satisfactory answers to my questions. I still had my fears...what if things have changed so much in the tech industry that it’s not what I thought. After a few more questions and conversations with my contact at Bloc, I decided to enrol. The 1-on-1 sessions with my mentor were full of insight on whichever topic we were discussing about. He was and still is such an inspiration and consistently encouraged me when I doubted myself. The technical coaches on Slack have been a great help when I’m stuck and blinded by frustration. More often than not, they taught me something new. The group sessions are a great chance to gain deeper understanding on a topic. Plus, they are regularly updated with current technologies. The program has a lot of work and requires dedication. The student success team is always an email away and they are ever warm and ready to help where they can. I am now on the career stage - and the feedback and assistance I have received so far, makes me confident in trusting the process and know that I will soon get to join the tech industry as a full time professional. I honestly, wish I had joined Bloc earlier on.

• Cherie Marquez • Marketing and Communications Director

I'm almost 75% complete into my bloc program for in the design track and I've been very happy so far. Bloc has really allowed me to explore new opportunities, learn new things, challenge myself and all with the support of an incredible team. Every mentor at Bloc truly cares and wants all their students to achieve the very best. In addition, the community at Bloc is extremely supportive and collaborative.

I know once I complete the Bloc program it will open the door to many new adventures of my career. A program that I highly encourage anyone to be a part of.

• Bloc is awesome.
    - 10/21/2018
    Laura • Student

I definitely recommend Bloc if you are looking into getting into web development. Prior to becoming a student, I took a lot of time researching which bootcamp I wanted to attend so I thought I'd start there. I read tons of reviews on coursereport touching on at least twenty different bootcamps. I first narrowed the plethora of options down by choosing an online school versus an in-person school because I do work and did not want to quit my day job. Second, I really narrowed it down further by deciding to go with a school that did a job guarantee. For me, I am looking to do a career change and wanted a school that taught current/relevant languages and tools to help me get there. And for a school to do a job guarantee told me they really stand by their 'product.' Pretty much the last main deciding factor was the length of time to complete the program. Originally I liked the idea of finishing as quickly as possible but realistically that would be difficult for me. I work, I have two young children (ages 2 and 4) who require a lot of my attention and care, and a house to maintain. So that's why I decided to go with Bloc. It should take about 8 months to complete the web developer route, which is still fast in terms of school. But it does not require me to put in 40 hours of school each week like some of the other schools which I simply can not afford to give. So now I am a few months in and learning tons. As a current student, I will give you a breakdown of my experience with a pros and cons list. :)

Pros:

1. I've learned sooo much in such a short amount of time. I tried learning on my own but my progress was so slow and I really didn't know the best order of which I needed to learn everything in. I realize now it would have taken me years to get where I am at now had I tried to do this on my own.

2. I've had two great mentors that really know their stuff and have been able to explain the harder to understand concepts. It is very difficult to learn this on your own, so to have someone that helps you when you get stuck and makes sure you keep on track is so important.

3. The slack team is also immensely helpful. You only 'meet up' with your mentor once a week but when you're working on assignments the other six days of the week that's where this team is awesome. Whenever I get stuck on a checkpoint or assignment and I've tried everything I can but I can't seem to get my code to work, then I reach out on slack and get the support I need. I only wish that once I graduate and get my first job, that I could take this team and my mentor with me. :)

4. The tools are also a major plus for me. Web development isn't just about knowing HTML/CSS/JavaScript. You've got to learn things like Github, React, and other things as well which will make your life easier.

Cons:

1. Now this pertains to the curriculum, for every new topic that we are learning, I only wish that we had more time and practice with it. To really learn something and to get good at it, you need repetition. So what I would like to see is extra practice questions/scenarios on each topic just to make sure you have it down. I wouldn't even want to necessarily be graded on them. And I find myself having to do a ton of outside research as well to try to understand what I am learning here. But I did sign up for a bootcamp. There is sooo much to learn in such a short amount of time, you really only get to see the tip of the iceberg on each subject. I know it's up to me to put in as much time in as I possibly can during school and even after it to truly master it.

Now I have not utilized the job assistance as of yet so I can not give a positive or negative review on this subject. There have been these career prep assignments and reading materials to go through that I have found very helpful though so far.

Overall, I've had a great experience so far and would recommend this school.

• Rachel Beiser • Student

Once I decided that I wanted to get into the field of UX design, I did a lot of research on different UX bootcamps. I came across Bloc and was really impressed with all that they offer. I reached out to the admissions team and they immediately scheduled a phone call with me to answer any questions and tell me about the program. I was nervous to jump in, but once I did I knew that it was the right decision!

I think that one of the coolest components of Bloc’s curriculum is the element of front-end development, which is something that most UX bootcamps do not offer. Even though I had absolutely zero coding background, I figured that if I am taking the time and investing in a full-time bootcamp, I may as well get the most out of it by learning the incredibly valuable skill of front-end development which will help me stand out when it comes time to apply for jobs. Bloc’s curriculum gave me the tools to learn front-end development and eventually hand-code my own portfolio/website which I am extremely proud of!

Another reason why I am so happy that I chose Bloc is because of their incredible student support. My mentor, the student success team, and the career prep team have always been extremely helpful and responsive to any concerns, questions or needs. The general Slack community has also shown itself to be an invaluable resource and proves that even though Bloc is an online program, everyone involved truly is a community and is always there to support one another. I have learned a tremendous amount from Bloc, and I feel that when the time comes I will be totally prepared to enter the professional field of UX design.

• Bloc experience
    - 10/20/2018
    Nahome Gudeta • Student

I have reaserched a lot of bootcamps before I joined bloc, and bloc was the only one that fitted what I was looking for, I didn't have to relocate or quit my job, after I started the cource it was everything stated in the ads, the platform which is designed in a way that students can get help from mentors and coaches on slack is really helpful.

• Very happy so far!
    - 10/7/2018
    Rivka Bar • Student

I am taking the design track at Bloc, and I am very happy so far!  The course is thorough, the team helps you stay on top of your work in a positive way, giving very specific and constructive critique on my work.

They have a ton of extra resources that help you learn to intuitively think, talk, and feel like a more experienced designer, like daily design critiques and other "extracurricular classes" you can join.

So far Bloc's Design Track has been a solid, professional, and thorough course.  Very happy I chose them for UX/UI design!

In regards to the negative Bloc review because of an Amazon gift card incentive, this doesn't even come from Bloc, it's an incentive given by the review site to anyone who reviews ANY of the schools - and there are about 40 of them.  Has nothing to do with Bloc, and it's a perfectly acceptable thing of them to do...reviews are a very helpful way to decide on a school, and they never asked the review to be positive.

• Kristin • Student

The Bloc program states it's for beginners and even claims that if you have no previous knowledge of coding that you will learn the fundamentals. This is by no means a program for a beginner, let alone a novice. I personally alreadly had some previous experience with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and struggled to follow their very thin lesson plans. Regardless, I'm a good online learner. I've achieved two degrees already predominately that way, both BS degrees with one in Psychology and the other in Pre-Med. I have no problem learning from an online system, however, when the documentation and lesson plans are confusing and not very informational, the courses become a lot more work than neccessary. I learned more from searching information on my own than I did from this program, and when I googled for more information most of the time I found the exact same information Bloc had given me on a W3Schools page. They had literally copied over all the information, so I paid for something that I could have gotten for free. The other issue I had was the lack of clarity and no emphasis on real world coding practice . All of the assessments had you making things you wouldn't in the real world and the constanly used the term 'foo' to name variables. I made it all the way through the second module and determined this program with the lack of clarity and real world experience as well as the mentor's lack of help and tardiness made me determine this wasn't a program for me. It's a lot of money for copied over, rehased information. Do yourself a favor and try to do this on your own first or look into a more in depth program, because this program still has a lot of kinks to work out. It's unfortunate because I had a lot of high expectations of this program from reviews I've seen, but I never had the experience that others have stated they had. I thought it may have just been the first, second module and then I kept going on, wasting money, but really the whole program is just not up to par. I unfortunately don't see how anyone could be prepared after taking this program.

• Amanda Lilley

My background is in knitwear design. After a few years of learning to code as a side hobby I decided that programming is something that I really enjoy and want to delve deeper into. I spent a couple years working through Code Acadamy, Skillcrush, Udemy, and LinkedIn courses. I was comfortable writing HTML, CSS, and creating static websites. I decided to make a career change and knew that I would need a mentor moving forward.

I contacted Bloc, explained that I would like to pursue frontend development and that I had an idea that I would like to develop. I was guided towards the Design track and ensured that the Design Track offered enough frontend skills to qualify me as a frontend developer while teaching me the design skills I would need to bring my idea to life.

I registered and cleared my calendar so that I could be fully invested in my learning. I was extremely dedicated and excited and saw the program through until the end.

Mentorship:

The experience with my mentor was great. We had weekly meetings where he answered questions, shared resources, and gave me feedback on my designs. I definitely picked up a few design skills and have gained a sharper eye for design.

Bloc:

The student dashboard is misleading. There are three modules to work through 1.Design Fundamentals, 2.Design Foundations, 3.Frontend Foundations. After you complete the modules there are 7 projects that are shown as disabled. As you complete each step of a project it is highlighted and checked. The final student portfolio counting as 1 of the 7 projects. The reality is that I only completed 3 projects (one being my portfolio). This was not because I fell behind, I was ahead of time throughout the course. There just simply is not time to complete the projects that are shown in the dashboard. I never did have time to even start my Capstone project (the initial reason for signing up for Bloc).

My biggest take away after completing the Design Track is the Design Process. Bloc has taught me how to breakdown the steps of the design process for any project as well as how to present the problem and solution that my design is solving. The resource links for each lesson were often outdated and linked to non-proprietary content. I managed to develop my portfolio by taking Udemy courses and using the time with my mentor to answer questions.

Develpment:

The actual frontend development portion of the Design Track was a complete waste of time. To pass this section students are required to build a Bloc Jams music app. It was extremely difficult to learn as most of the code is given to you to copy and paste and you lose context as to how and why things are working. If students were instead reqired to use one of their own designs and write the code to get their own design functioning, so much could be gained from this portion of the course. sadly, that was not the case.

Structure:

There was a lot of change taking place during my time with Bloc. The way that students communicate and post questions was changed midway through the course causing a lot of confusion and students posting questions in the wrong place. We started the design program learning Sketch and midway through the program switched to Figma.

Career Support:

The career support team is very on point. They were quick to follow up and always available to share tips and resources. The problem is that I simply do not have the job skills necessary for frontend development. Bloc has since been aquired by Thinkful. A Thinkful representative reached out to me to address my concerns. I was given a $10 Amazon gift card and offered 4 sessions with a Bloc dev mentor.

After speaking with the dev mentor and sharing my goals I have been instructed to go and learn Vue.js and get back in touch. So I am once again taking Udemy courses trying to learn the frontend foundations that I need for an entry level job.

During my sign off meeting with Bloc I was told that my portfolio is alright - not great- but alright.

My honest review of my experience with Bloc:

Meh, it's alright - Not great - just alright.

Definitely not worth the time I invested or the $9k+ pricetag. Not even close.

• Menachem • UX Designer • Student

This is very honest review. I was pretty nervous to try Bloc, Im a social person and by nature not one who likes the idea of sitting on my computer all day or taking online classes (college really gives those a bad rep, I know). I did a TON of research on bootcamps because I had a friend who had taken one and got screwed (i.e. didn't learn anything) so I called every bootcamp I heard of or found to learn about what really went on - and surprisingly, many of the in-person bootcamps were low on the rankings. I have to say I was surprised, but after dong all that research I chose Bloc and it has been amazing, They really figured out how to make online learning stimulating and enjoyable. One of the things I was told but only realized how big of a difference it makes once I started is the fact that you have Mentors grading your work within 24 hours (which is amazing because the constant feedback keeps you motivated to get better) and the Slack Channel is SUPER active - which is super encouraging because its as if you have the teacher at your service whenever you have a question. Lastly, the curriculum is structured really well and gives you a really great understanding of the PROCESS behind UX Design -- which in my opinion pays off more than learning how to make "dope" and "minimalist" designs because it means you actually know what you're doing and can EXPLAIN  why you're doing it - something that's super important once you start to have clients who have no clue what a wireframe or user stories are and just "want an app asap". So yeah, who knew.

• Hannah S. • Student

I am enrolled in the Designer track at Bloc. When I graduated from Michigan State University this past May, I knew I wanted to dive into UX Research & Design as a career, but the program at MSU was newly being developed and left me missing a lot of crucial necessities to make it in the design world.

I'm a bit over. a month in, and I could not be happier that I decided to start this program. It is challenging, but I can really tell how much I am learning. Every day I am surprising myself - between finding interest in things like Typography, and overall just gravitating towards concepts I'd never considered studying - I am very happy with the way this program goes together.

My mentor is extremely helpful, and she really has helped me in assignments, in understanding concepts, and has helped me fuel my mind to think of ideas and other UX-related things I can do outside of Bloc.

I'm really excited about how Bloc is and will continue to help me in the future. Every resource with this program holds value, and with every assignment I do, I can tell how much I really am learning.

Bloc Outcomes

77% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 23% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 40 graduates included in report:

93% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here