bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (442) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (48) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner Skills Fund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner, Skills Fund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge

• Great school!
    Katie Riley • Student

I'm currently a student at bloc in the part time web developer track and I'm loving it! I came into the program with some programming knowledge, so far (I'm about 6 weeks in) I feel as though my mentor and everyone at bloc really wants me to succeed. My goal in finishing this is to change careers and from day one they are helping you with that. I also work anywhere from 24 - 48 hours, and the 20 hour time commitment has been more than manageable. I've already learned so much and I love having a mentor I can contact if I get stuck. I'm so glad I started this journey with bloc and I can't wait to see where it takes me

• Truly Amazing!
    Asai • Student

I'm currently taking the Software Developer track and I must say that I am having an amazing journey so far. My mentor answers all of my questions and guides me in the right direction to whenever I'm not fully grasping a concept. I could honestly say that I have learned a ton already and can apply my knowledge to have a technical conversation with other developers/engineers.
    Its okay to seek additional help and if nothing is fully connecting, this is where your mentor comes into play. I like the fact that there are several tests, a checkpoint where a different mentor will ask you questions based on what you've learned, checkpoints that get you prepared for a job search and that its project based.
    My mentor encourages me to get involved and attend meetups to network with other developers. There's a whole slack community dedicated for Bloc students to network and seek help.
    All in all, I really enjoy the program and the Bloc community.

• Amazing Course
    Craig A Schotch II • Student

Just a little bit about myself so you can understand why I am writing the review as it is. I am married over 40, with a Full-time job and some other responsibilities. Since I got out of the Military my career prospects haven't been what I want for a good work/life balance, so I decided to start out on a new career branch. I had previously gotten an 'Occupational AA Degree with Computer Networking' from a Trade school and knew I liked Computer field, just not the hardware portion of it.

Now onto the training stuff. I, like many other people, have used the usual ‘free’ courses on the internet along with some paid courses like Treehouse, Codecademy, Codeschool, Khan, etc. They are pretty good for self-learning the basics but it seemed to me that's all you could get. I won’t denigrate anybody that can actually use these to build a career. It just wasn't for me in fact, I would give you applause.

It’s as if the bridge from Basics to Intermediate “I can build something” was missing for me and I needed to find something else.

After close to 2 years I had to ask myself;

• Do you want to keep sitting on that chair looking up information, doing tutorials that seem easy and doesnt really let you do anything significant?
    • Or do you want to get off your duff, take the leap, and start to learn something that you,
      1. Honestly like to do
      2. And can see yourself doing for a career well into retirement?

After sifting through course reviews and deciding between 3 different programs I decided to go with Bloc with the Web Developer track.

The condensed course structure, ability to do this completely online with a flexible schedule and challenging coursework that makes you actually search for an answer instead of handing it to you is awesome.

Best part is a Mentor, I feel like I hit a jackpot with mine. Always responds quickly with informative questions to my questions that makes me think differently and approach a problem from a different angle. Mentor meetings have helped let me ‘talk’ through code which has helped even more.

I am not finished with the course yet but as far as I am concerned it is worth the money and time and I recommend it highly.

• Harsha Malhotra • Student

I am currently half way through with Bloc's UX/UI program. My experience so far has been great. I got to know about bloc through Quora. I do not have any formal background in design but I can see myself looking at subtleties of design in all things now.

My mentor Sharon is very helpful. At this stage I require a lot of feedback and I get a lot of answers for my all design related questions. She is prompt and has created a great rapport with me. I trust her and find her critique on my design problems very helpful.

Bloc is more of a self learning experience. Knowledge is limitless and bloc offers a  lot of resources. It basically gives more structure and more organization to what needs to be learned.

I have not used the Career Support as yet but I expect it to be helpful. Even, their operations team were very prompt and helped me with switching my program from the fastest pace to the medium pace.

My main aim is to create a portfolio. I am currently working on a project with my mentor and I expect by the end of this course I will be able to complete at least 4 projects.

I would definitely recommend bloc to all my friends who are self starters and want to learn new skills.

• Bloc is awesome!
    - 8/23/2016
    John • Graduate

Bloc was an awesome choice for me. I feel 100% more confident with rails than I did before.

To be clear: it's not like you can't learn yourself what Bloc is teaching you.  You can.  But, you will probably be trying to learn a bunch of other (maybe pointless) things along the way.

Bloc clearly puts a lot of effort in their curriculums and making sure you learn the skills that are not only current with the times but are focused on getting you a job.  With Bloc's curriculum, you end up *kind of* learning things on your own, but there is tons of value knowing that you are learning what you need to learn.  And if you get hung up on something, it's not long before your next mentor call who can help you get back on your feet.  By the end of the course, I felt way more confident with my programming ability.

Bottom line: If you are already somewhat of a self-learner, but want to maximize your time learning (and skip the fluff), go with Bloc.

• Rafael Liranzo • Digital Designer • Graduate

My experience at Bloc was amazingI just finished my UX/UI program and I couldn't be any happier. Having a mentor with a vast experience in the field allows you to focus on the things that really matter. My mentor was super helpful and pushed me to go beyond my skills.

Bloc is project based, so you get to have several projects to show in your portfolio at the end of the program. The courses are well done and easy to follow.

I'm getting ready to enroll in another program next year.

• Web Development
    - 8/21/2016
    Nancy • Software engineer • Student
    Ok! This is a real experience at Bloc. 2 mentorship sections per week. 30 minutes for each. Don't expect that your mentor will spend more than 30 minutes to clear your concerns. I rarely got enough attention as my mentors did not have enough time for me. I asked a question. She replied me with a single sentence. Then, I have another question. Then, I waited for one or two days from the mentor to answer my question. For each, project, you need to go through each checkpoint. Sometimes, that checkpoint is not necessary to push to git hub as it is very little change. Mentor asked you to update, make new branch, and push your code to that new branch. Then merge them to master. One project has at least 10 checkpoints. So, you spend times playing around with git hub. Career support is not helpful at all. I rarely got notifications of career support sessions. I checked my inbox and spam, I did not get any notification from career support team for any upcoming sessions. They said, 'Guarantee Money Back' if you cannot find job within 6 months. Don't trust. Something can be happened during the program. You might end up dropping out because of unsatisfication. They will took your money based on how far and time you go within the program. I registered into this program because I expected that I would get answers to my questions if I got stuck in coding. But, it is time consuming waiting for your mentor. They are judgmental. They said most mentor has experience in programming 10 to 15 years. That's not true. Most of the mentors are only having 2-3 year experience in programming. Those of them are our alumni who took WD at Bloc. Don't waste your time in online program. If you really want to code and become a real programmer, you should go to on-site bootcamp. Then, don't expect that you would become a professional Web developer. Graduation from those bootcamp is just a beginning of your journey.
  • Topher • Student

I am currently in Week 8 of the program. Overall, I am very satisfied with the program considering all of it is down online. So far the curriculum layout provides a nice balance between being easy to follow along, providing some challenging exercises and getting to choose interesting projects for your portfolio. There are often a lot of great resources added to each section to expand on the topics covered and workshops to provide supplemental material. With this in mind, the curriculum does not hold your hand and it is not meant for those that need someone telling you how to do something every step of the way. It will help you start thinking like a developer, utilizing the power of the Google and many other resources.

One of the things that I struggled with other online courses is that I didn't have someone to often ask questions and check my work. One thing that makes Bloc a bit different from some other online courses is that students are all paired with a mentor that they get to pick from before they start. Rather than get matched with one, students get to pick a mentor that may have a background that is similar to what they are looking to get out of the program. My Mentor, Brian, has been a big help for me when I am struggling with a particular topic. It is great to have someone that has been in your shoes before and is really there to help you succeed. During our weekly check-ins, we cover any obstacles I ran into through the week and often go into discussions about some coding best practices or about some interesting projects to explore.

I recently took my first progress assessment. These assessments are spaced through different sections of the curriculum and is meant to simulate a technical interview while reinforcing your knowledge of the subject you just covered. The assessment was a great way to get feedback and help me refocus on particular topics.

In terms of job assistance, the program interspaces checkpoints that get students to focus on a specific vertical and provide some advice on how to network and find jobs within these verticals. As there isn't specific 1-1 career guidance in this section, it's something that I hope Bloc may be able to support in the future. I marked it as N/A since I haven't completed the program yet. While this isn't quite an option yet, Bloc has a great community of alums and mentors that are often active on the community Slack and are willing to provide some advice.

All in all, I would highly recommend giving it a shot and at least getting in touch with one of their student advisors to see if it would be a good fit for you.

• Mike Branski • Software Engineer • Student

I've been a web developer for 16 years, professionally for ten. I'm currently in Bloc's UX Design fundamental, and a  friend is a full-time software engineering mentor at Bloc, so I get a lot of insight into the program that others may not.

What sold me on Bloc is the dedicated mentor that you get. I'm on a slowest pace, but still get dedicated 1:1 time every week and have never felt rushed, despite being at the "lowest tier". Choosing one was hard, but it is nice to know that you can request a different one should things not work out with your current one (personalities don't mesh, time slots don't line up, whatever).

Bloc's project approach is also something that won me over. After the fundamental lessons, you get to choose from a handful of different projects to take on (or do them all, if you have the time - which I would highly recommend). I feel like these are as close to real world experience as you're going to get, short of having an actual client throwing the work at you. I am not saying this is unique, but when you combine it with having a dedicated mentor, *it is invaluable*.

Finally, it is going to challenge you. They will not do the work for you. My friend is one of the brightest and most talented developers I know, and he was required to go through the software engineering projects just like a student before becoming a mentor, and he still enjoyed it.

Besides, if you discover you do not like it, they do have a refund policy, which was another draw for me.

• Bloc
    - 8/18/2016
    CDMac • Senior Application Support Analyst • Student

Bloc has been a very rewarding experience so far. I am currently enrolled in their Web Development track (9 weeks into a 54 week program).

The initial stages of the Web Development track used to rely heavily on the codeschool courses but they have now developed their own platform to deliver the fundamental courses. If you've ever done any Codeschool work, you will have an idea of what the course will be like early on (web course instruction and code challenges to practice the skills taught).

I have been in the course 9 weeks and now it's starting to get beyond the early, fundamentals of HTML/CSS, JavaScript, Ruby, and t's really challenging me.

The best part of Bloc's curriculum so far is having a mentor who is able to help you with challenging aspects of code, and who helps keep you motivated when things get challenging.

• Marie • Student
    I'm currently enrolled in the Software Engineering Track (recently renamed "Software Developer Track") and so far, the program has exceeded my expectations. By far! I spent quite a while researching coding schools this year and in the end, Bloc was the best fit for my situation.

1. I wasn't in a position to return to school full-time, much less relocate across country for a bootcamp, so I knew I would need a fully-online course of study. That narrowed down the list quite a bit.

2. I'd been looking primarily into Full Stack programs because I wanted exposure to as many programming languages as possible. When I came across the SE Track at Bloc, I was immediately interested in the idea of learning CS fundamentals along with FS skills.

3. I work FT and PT to pay the bills, so I needed a program that was flexible. Bloc offers a few program paces which can be adjusted during your track if needed. So if you have unanticipated life events, you can work around it without derailing your studies.

My reasons to enroll aside, Bloc has been a wonderful experience so far. The course materials are well-organized, thorough, and challenging. I can't believe how much material I've covered since starting the program! Working with a mentor has been more valuable than I could have imagined and now I understand why people rave so much about it. My mentor is knowledgeable, responsive, and always willing to answer my (many) questions.

I was a bit apprehensive about starting down this career path. Coming from a non-tech background, it felt like jumping into uncharted waters. But I have no regrets---other than wishing I'd discovered Bloc sooner!
  • Neil Ranada • Design Track Student • Student

Hi, I'm a design student at Bloc so a little different from all the other students on this thread commenting on the developer programs. But in case anyone out there is interested in design, here are the top 3 reasons why I personally chose Bloc:

1) Mentorship. I believe the most effective way to learn is by interacting with someone considered an expert in the field. Mentorship works. I'm a former Navy pilot and learning from a more senior pilot was the best way to develop my skills. Basically the process goes like this: Brief – Fly – Debrief.  Bloc’s mentorship program essentially works the same way: Learn – Do – Feedback.

I picked up a lot of valuable resources that my mentor personally uses.  My mentor has been great for learning and discussing real design practices, theory, industry language, as well as focusing my learning efforts.

Experiences with mentors will differ from student to student, but if you communicate your expectations early, Bloc will pair you up with the best one. And if it doesn’t work out, you can ask to switch. But in general, the mentors at Bloc are awesome!

2) Structured Program. Sure, one can argue that there are tons of free online courses floating around. But do you know which courses are most aligned with the tools and skills relevant to the job you want? Because I didn't, and I didn't want to waste my time blindly coming up with my own program.  Additionally, one of the most valuable things that Bloc offers is helping you build a portfolio of projects.

3) Schedule Flexibility. I recently moved from Washington state to San Diego while working on lessons at the same time. I made the move with the encouragement of my mentor.  My mentor recommended attending meetup groups and building my network while in the early stages of the program (see mentorship mentioned in bullet #1).

I attended my first meetup group in San Diego where I met senior designers who recommended having a portfolio to apply for jobs (see portfolio mentioned in bullet #2). As I build my portfolio, I now have new contacts who can help critique and share my work, and are a great source for job leads.

To find out the difference between the Design Track vs UX/UI design fundamentals: https://blog.bloc.io/designer-track-vs-uxui-design-fundamentals/

Hope that helps!

• Drew H. • Application Development Manager • Student

I've been working as a project manager the last three years for a call center, assisting groups to enhance current applications and develop new programs.  I work closely with developers and development managers on a daily basis and became more interested in the programming side within the last 6-12 months.  I've grown a little tired of what I do and decided it was time for a change.

I knew that a four year university to get a degree in CIT or another related track wasn't an option.  The cost of tuition for a bachelor's degree is outrageous and quitting my job and going to school full time isn't possible when you have a mortgage and a kid on the way.  I needed a way to gain the knowledge in a structured manner and in a reasonable amount of time, at an affordable price.  So glad I found Bloc.

Bloc offered everything I needed, packaged into a great product that was hard to pass up.  I elected to take the slower track (12 hrs per week) as I still work full time and need a life outside of work/Bloc.  I'm still able to work as much as my time permits, sometimes 15-20 hours in a week.  My weekly meetings with my mentor are always constructive and he's available throughout the week should I have any questions or hit any roadblocks.

Bloc is challenging and you'll get out of it what you put in.  The first phase was very demanding while learning JavaScript, HTML, CSS, Git and Command Line.  Right now I'm in phase two, where I apply the concepts I've learned to build a website.  The career prep is also very helpful and built so that you'll be in the best position to land a job right after graduation.  So far, I'm loving the experience and I'm so glad I found Bloc.

• Seth Jones • Graduate

I would like to say that although the Bloc Full-Stack curriculum was extremely challenging, it was truly a rewarding experience. My mentor, Tim, and I met twice a week, and it was in these meetings that I had the opportunity to ask any questions that I wanted to ask. Not only did we cover the topics presented in the comprehensive curriculum, but I also had the chance to ask for advice in building my own web application. This was invaluable. Tim would even carve out time on the weekends to go over more advanced topics with me if I needed clarification.

The Full-Stack curriculum is awesome because by the end of it, although you don't know everything about web development (who does?), you have a high level overview of what is involved in building modern web apps.

That being said, you get out of the course what you put into it. If you dive into the extra credit and really utilize the resources Bloc provides for you, including your mentor, you will truly benefit.

No prior experience building web applications is necessary, as the curriculum starts with the basics of programing. However, I would recommend it. The program can be quite intensive, and a lot of ground is covered.

The course starts with the fundamentals of object oriented programming and the Ruby programming language, then dives into building web applications in Ruby on Rails. This was my absolute favorite part of the course, as you get to build a Reddit replica, and see what all goes into creating a web application.

Topics covered in the back-end portion of the course (the first half) are programming in Ruby, building web apps with Ruby on Rails, testing with RSpec, and building APIs in Rails.

The front-end portion of the course (the second half) covers the fundamentals of programming in Javascript and introduces you to building single page apps in Javascript/jQuery and AngularJS.

Overall, it was a tremendous experience, and I would recommend to anybody who is on the fence. Now that I have finished the Bloc curriculum, I have the skills required to build whatever I can imagine.

#hacktheplanet
  • UX/UI Course
    - 8/10/2016
    Anna • Graduate

This fully immersive class gets you into the action the first day. You learn by doing at bloc, rather than listening to lectures and taking exams, which is what most university degrees offer these days.

After I finished my program, I felt completely ready to start a job. The cirriculum is easy to understand because it is divided into checkpoints. They provide you with the skills and deeper understanding to be competent in the field.

I would trade my four year degree for my course at bloc! The way it is set up gets your ready to suceed in your career. I would definitely recommend it to anyone interesting in UX/UI design.

• Melissa • Student

I'm about 1/4 the way through the design program and could not have asked for a better experience.  My mentor, Chris, is amazing and is always willing to support me with constructive feedback and criticism, as well as supplemental reading and materials.  I've learned so much in just the fundamentals section of the course, and as I embark on my projects, I know that I'm getting an amazing education in top-of-the-line, current tools (which Bloc largely supplies licenses to!), and insight into the industry as it is.  Plus, the Slack channel is awesome and the students and mentors there, regardless of the track they're in, are incredibly supportive!  It's been an amazing experience so far!

• Russell • DEVELOPER • Student

I am currently enrolled in Bloc in the midst of what will end up being a year-long program. Overall, I enjoy having a one-on-one mentor quite a bit, as the courses are geared towards my pace. In other tech classes I have taken, sometimes classes are geared towards the slowest on the uptake, sometimes they go so fast that the bulk of the class is lost. I find that the challenging curriculum at Bloc is well balanced as a result - I can fly through things I already know, and sllow down and get into the details when it is something I need work on. There is a lot of freedom as well when it comes to selecting projects, and I have been encouraged to be creative.

While I've been enrolled, Bloc has made great strides in integrating the online community of students via Slack channels, and they offer occassional webinars which have proved interesting and helpful. I have gotten help from the community when Stack Overflow, Google and my mentor have been stonewalling me. Generally, my mentors are great and available, but they do need sleep like everyone else. My mentors are all working professionals in the field which has helped flesh out the curriculum as they share their best practices knowledge and very, very strong opinions about how one should code. I switch up my mentor after each unit to get a breadth of experience and it has been great for me to pair program with senior people of pretty different styles.

I recently had a mock technical interview which was great. However, if you are expecting some sort of job fair near the end of your term, Bloc is a remote-only platform. So, that is why I knocked the job assistance to 3 stars. If you need hand-holding and a soft landing in an internship affiliated with the school, Bloc is not for you. Bloc encourages you to go to meetups and engage your local tech community, which has proved helpful to many Bloc students and alumni.

• Stephanie • Art Director • Student

A online bootcamp style program that not only teaches you the best methods but also you are assigned a mentor that is with you through the entire course. My mentor workes in the industry which is very helpful in getting current information about technology, programs and additional respources. Bloc is project based with easy to follow videos as well as communities for feedback and solving problems. They also want to know what your goals are and helping you achieve those goals.

• Student • Inside • Student

Bloc is a bridge to becoming a software developer. I'm about halfway through the software track, and it has been great so far. I ask hard questions, and get back helpful answers quickly. Working with a software engineer helps you see the big picture and is well worth the investment. I had thought about going back to get a degree, but I already have one and it is near useless. Also, I haven't had any colleges back the degree with a job guarntee like Bloc does. You can find what you are looking for in Bloc. Feel free to reach out to me directly with any questions. @Matt24Ray

• JB • Creative Director • Student

My experience at Bloc has been fantastic. One of the real highlights with the experience is how you work with your mentor. In my case we've discussed my goals (learning and career) and my mentor has tweaked and adjusted the assignments to help me reach those goals.

Having someone to ask questions, give helpful and constructive critiques and to be there to push you has been great. Through that experience I've been amazed at how my thought process and approach to UI/UX has changed in such a short period of time.

Bloc also has an amazing amount of great resources to tap into in the different lessons. Those resources have been instrumental in me understanding the theory and principles behind successful UI/UX design. It's been great to be able to study these resources and then immediately apply what you've learned to an assignment. The hands-on, assignment based learning has been a refreshing way to learn these complicated topics and theories.

• Dan Rice • Student

I'm taking the Software Engineering Track at Bloc and have had a great experience so far! They begin by teaching you the fundamentals of HTML, CSS, and the Ruby programming language (which, I should note, seems like a good choice as a starting language for new developers because it's less convoluted than many alternatives). I'm now working in a Ruby on Rails developer environment building my first project, a public Wiki forum. There are several steps left- more projects, tons to learn about JavaScript, frontend development, and software engineering fundamentals, and of course the job hunt- but it's gotten off to a great start.

Programming is tough no matter how you try to learn it, but Bloc has done a very good job of starting off slow and gradually removing the handholding. They pair you with a mentor who you meet with one to three times a week so they can check in on your progress and answer questions for you. My mentor asked me right off the bat what my goals were with learning to become a developer, and since I told him my goal is to launch a career in the field, he's given me lots of tips about applying for jobs, building a developer portfolio, making a presentable LinkedIn account, getting involved in local Meetups, the list goes on.

I was originally going to take lessons at Galvanize, which has a brick-and-mortar location in Fort Collins, CO (where I'm from), but found out that they require students to devote 40 hours a week to their work, which, unfortunately, I don't have the time to do because I have a job. Fortunately, Bloc gives students three different "paces" to work at, so you can decide whether you want to commit an average of 15, 25, or 40 hours/week to your work. I have 2 part-time jobs right now, but have been able to keep up with the 25 hours/week schedule pretty well overall. In other words, you can absolutely learn at Bloc without quitting your day job!

Bloc is a bit of an investment, but they also guarantee your money back if you complete the course and still can't find a job in the industry. My current income is about $30,000/year, and they guarantee a job that at least doubles that, so to me it was a no-brainer.

The only minor complaint I have with the course is that it gives you the options to install Ruby locally (if you have a Mac or Linux machine) or to develop in Cloud9 online regardless of what computer you're using. I decided to use Cloud9 per my mentor's suggestion even though I have a Mac, but in several places in the course, the code Bloc gives me has to be altered slightly to be compatible with Cloud9. This has led to a handful of frustrating moments when my code would have been working perfectly if I'd been working locally on my computer, but didn't because running your app "locally" on Cloud9 is slightly different. For this I'm taking one star off of my "curriculum" score.

However, I should reiterate that even if you do use Cloud9 with Bloc, this is a very minor problem- it's popped up maybe three times in two months' worth of programming. Still, I'd like to mention that so Bloc can make an even better experience for future students!

If you're in a situation similar to mine- you can't quit your day job, you would love to pursue a new career in software development, you're willing to commit yourself to the work every day, and you love technology and the idea of building cool products for people to take advantage of, I would absolutely recommend Bloc to you. Give it a look at bloc.io, and if you'd like to ask me more about my experience, contact me at danrice.me. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have and can also get you a $500 discount off the course you choose!

• Sam R. • Student

- Currently about a third way through the Part Time Web Developer Track and loving it so far! The best part by far is the quality received from the one-on-on mentors. My mentor and I meet over Skype twice a week and he continuously allows me to put my own twist to the curriculum to fit my own career goals and provides plenty of material and insights that go beyond the curriculum. He also always responds to my messages asking for help within hours if not sooner.

- I had a little introductory experience with programming going into this program so I was able to breeze through some of the earlier material but definitely picked up a bunch of new skills on the way. That being said, the quizzes and projects will challenge you and is reflective of the intensive yet organized and informative curriculum structure. Both good and bad; Bloc has been making minor tweaks to the curriculum while I was going through the program which led to some confusion but the new changes definitely show that the curriculum stays relevant.

• Best Decision
    - 8/3/2016
    Alberto • Student

The experience has been incredible! With no background in programming whatsoever, diving into this world was a bit intimidating to say the least. Having a mentor there guiding you through the process makes all the difference in the world. Another big pro is the program's flexibility, this has allowed me to keep my job while I continue learning. If you're looking for a Bootcamp that adjusts to your personal needs, look no further.

• Great Program
    - 8/3/2016
    Zach • Junior Software Developer • Graduate
    The Software Engineering Track has been absolutely incredible and the staff and my mentor have made the experience memorable and worthwhile. I cannot wait to continue on this track and become a more developed and seasoned Software Engineer
  • Jonathan Gonzales • Student

Tl;dr

• Pros
      • The one on one time with a mentor, the quality cirriculum, and overall learning environment, it's totally worth it.
      • The mentor is the most important part and definitely the biggest piece to the puzzle
      • The students and community at Bloc is amazing.
    • Cons
      • Not much about deployments or managing external servers is covered.
      • It's expensive, but as stated, the amount of community, mentors, and resources at your disposal make it worth it.

I found blog through a few YouTube videos while I was searching for coding resources. I read reviews and saw great things, but then I saw the price and it genuinely discouraged me from trying it. I then kept searching for the things that bootcamp grads were lacking, so I could somehow fix that while going through another bootcamp like Viking Code School or App Academy. The thing I did keep seeing was that there was an apprenhension towards hiring bootcamp grads because of their lack of computer science concepts, and indepth knowledge of under the hood systems like Active Record for example. In trying to find a code school that remedied this, I came back around to Bloc, and after much consideration and planning, I began their Software Engineering Track on a 48 week pace.

The student advisory team at Bloc was extremely helpful, and they didn't sound like salesman like at a few of the other bootcamps I called. They were very open to hear my thoughts concerns and feelings and did not pressure me to make a decision for them. That was the first great experience.

The second was my mentor. He's been absolutely critical in my success so far. I get 3 sessions with him a week for my pace, and he's also able to answer emails on days we don't chat. He's not so much a teacher as much as a mentor to help guide me through the process of learning, cause while you're at Bloc, it can feel like your a small cup being poured into by a massive waterfall, you can only catch so much. He's extremely effective at imparting thought processes for complex problems and knowledge retention.

The cirriculum is great thus far, but the cirriculum isn't easy to get through. It's rigorous and the challenges are difficult. Pushing through some of them is hard, and the checkpoints don't always give you a way to find out the solution for the challenge, so you're on your own... sort of. You have your mentor, who can answer questions, but also you have the other students.

The community of students is great. We all help each other out and everyone is extremely generous. Mentors are also active in the Slack community so there's always someone willing to help. I've pair programmed with students to help them, and some have pair programmed with me to help me out. It's fantastic and you learn a lot about communicating complex topics effectively while here.

I've built a couple projects thus far, the most notable are two Alexa Skills that are in the Amazon AlexaSkill store and one of them has a 5 star review, which, coming from a non-coding background just 3 months ago, is pretty satisfying and is a very encourage measure of results from Bloc.

There are a couple downsides, it's very intense. If you're not willing to sacrifice time and extra stuff, you won't be able to make it through, especially at a fast pace. It's extremely frustrating sometimes and I've lost a lot of sleep over some issues, but I suppose that's a personal flaw. The price can also be seen as a negative, however, after my mentor encouraged me to reflect on how far I'd come, just this small section has been worth the money.

My biggest complaint so far is just maybe that there are tools that could be introduced in a few of the modules. Deployment is a big one. I'm the kind of person that just consumes every bit of info on a topic that I can, and Deployment is a huge topic that isn't covered at all in at least the backend portion of the track. That being said, I'm at least able to understand most resources because of the way Bloc has to me to progressively learn.

While I'm not graduating for a while, I've begun my career search. They don't just pile on leads, or tell you about events or job fairs to attend, they give you active topics to research to accomplish your goals and ways to frame your learning around what you want to do and what industry you want to go into. It's a very interesting approach, but it's paying off as I'm meeting better people and better understanding the industry and where I wish to work.

I would definitely recommend Bloc to a friend. Their approach is working for me as I've jumped miles ahead then where I'd be if I had taught myself over the past few months.

Bloc has an acceptance rate of 100%, of which 100% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Bloc, 41% graduate. 73% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $65,411.

Matriculation Information

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

Employment Breakdown:

This chart shows the breakdown of roles for job-seeking graduates.

Bloc students reflected in this report as Enrolled are students who continued after 4 weeks of starting in the Part-Time Web Developer Track, Software Engineer Track, and Full Stack Track.

Read the verified report here: https://www.bloc.io/employment-and-completion-rates