big-sky-code-academy-logo

Big Sky Code Academy

Billings, Bozeman, Helena, Missoula, Online

Big Sky Code Academy

Big Sky Code Academy offers 3-month full-time and 5-month part-time coding bootcamps in multiple cities across Montana. The bootcamps cover wireframing, HTML5, CSS3, SaSS, JavaScript, Angular, React, Express, SQL, NoSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, networks, and Git. By the end of the bootcamps students will be able to build full stack projects using all the technologies learned, and present them to potential employers. Students also do mock interviews and practice pitching.

Recent Big Sky Code Academy Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (10) reviews for Big Sky Code Academy →

Recent Big Sky Code Academy News

• Full Stack Web Developer Immersive

LocationHelena, Bozeman, Billings, Missoula
    Our curriculum is highly agile and changes rapidly with intention to match the velocity of the ever changing computer sciences industry. We teach the most cutting edge languages and technologies such as React.js and Node.js meanwhile also educating students on locally popular languages and frameworks such as PHP and ASP.NET. While learning Full-Stack web development, you will also learn best practices for UX/UI and design, agile methodologies and practices, foundations of Computer Sciences regarding data structures and algorithms, and much more. Have no clue what an API is? Don’t worry, we’ll teach you to build high quality API’s using Node.js and integrate data from other sources into your projects. We will also make sure you are comfortable with one of the most popular Content Management Systems on the planet: WordPress. You will also learn as much from your instructors as you will from your amazing fellow students! We believe that a team oriented approach is the best way to learn. Big Sky Code Academy™ combines instructor-led lectures with hands-on learning. We’ll have you programming before the end of the first week of classes! Over the course of your class, you’ll learn how to collaborate as part of a technical team while you produce high qualify software and work to develop, maintain, change and launch an application. These team projects will become part of your code portfolio that will be part of your resume toolkit as you look for your next job. Finally, you will build a portfolio of code to share with potential employers and confidently highlight your new found skills! During the course of your class, you will work one-on-one with a career coach to learn how to talk about your resume and code portfolio in an interview. We’ll also set up mock interviews with experts in the field to help prepare you for the real thing. You’ll have plenty of networking opportunities with Montana technology companies and will get to meet people who are looking to hire you. Decided that you might also want to look for jobs outside of Montana? No problem! You can show off you new tech chops to our exclusive global network of employers.
    Tuition Plans50% up front. 25% due 30 days after the start of classes. Remaining 25% due 60 days after the start of classes.
    ScholarshipScholarships available for women, veterans and Native Americans.

• My expierience
    Terrell Linnell  User Photo
    Terrell Linnell • Junior Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

My experience at the Big Sky Code Academy was great!  Starting out we worked through the basics of javascript and progressed at a nice pace.  Once we had javascript down we moved to react which was a lot to take in at first but with the small class size we got a lot of one on one time with the instructor to work through any errors or questions we had.  After we had the basics for a full stack app we did a few group projects and an entire blog on our own!  I learned valuble skills that are being used in the industry today.  I learned React, Vue, mongoDB, mySQL, Javascript, Git, along with other small libraries and packages.  After my graduation, and during school, they would post real job opportunties for us to see and possibly apply for.  It was awesome to see that what we were learning is what employers are looking for and that they cared about our success even after we graduated.  They even had us do mock interviews to get us used to what a tech interview would be like in a real world setting.

• Taryn  User Photo
    Taryn • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I am definitely happy with my choice to enroll in the Big Sky Code Academy. I decided to enroll in a web development boot camp after I felt static in my career and needed a change. Knowing I could not make moving to San Fran work, I started to look at my other options and was glad to find a boot camp right in my home town.

The instructors are super awesome and patient, which is imperative when learning so much information in a little amount of time. They are very dialed in to what you want out of the course and what you want to do upon completion. Having people who are interested in your long-term goals and that are willing to help you get there is a very rare thing.

You get out of it what you put into it. Even though there is not much work outside of class, you will benefit greatly from doing your own practice work, even when the class is over for the day. Overall I would definitely recommend this course if you are wanting a job in the tech industry.

• Just what I needed
    Sienna S.  User Photo
    Sienna S. • Web Designer and Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I loved this course! The instructors are the most patient, friendly, and helpful people. My classmates were hilarious. I loved how we all felt comfortable being open about our strengths and weaknesses and being able to admit we didn't know or ask for help. Not only did I learn a lot of JavaScript, I also discovered where my talent lies with programming and coding. It was definitely a journey and not the easiest one at that. But the support of our team overwhelmed any of our doubts!

I loved that the class was online! I traveled a lot but hardly missed class because I could tune in from California to Maine! You don't have to be in Missoula or Bozeman, let alone Montana!

To be fair, code is really hard and tests your willpower. Even if it comes naturally it's still frustrating and scary to learn new material. What makes this program so unique is the dedication of the instructors and the organization to actually helping each student feel successful and continue that experience post graduation. It takes some guts, but if you feel called to code this is probably the best place to start!

• Educational
    Spencer Ward  User Photo
    Spencer Ward • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

In the time I spent as a student at Big Sky Code Academy, I'd say the best way to describe it would be "educational." It was difficult, but it was also rewarding. To become a full-stack developer in 3 months involves a steep learning curve, but if you're willing to take it on, the results are pleasing in a way that only hard work can deliver. When I started, I felt like I dove head-first into the deep end, but when I finished I could understand concepts that at the beginning seemed like magic. And to top it off, I had a job the day after graduation. Would recommend.

• Alexander Murray  User Photo
    Alexander Murray • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

It's scary starting a new and huge endeavor like this, especially for a 20 something like me, fresh out of college with pennies to my name. I wasn't sure what the future held. I was worried things wouldn't work out.

I can happily say that my worries were unfounded. A dedicated team took us in and got to work, molding a crew of computer illiterates into capable techies. 12 weeks of rigorous lessons flew by, and suddenly I had skills that could propel me into a successful career as a web developer. 12 weeks! A mere fraction of the time it would take to complete a college course in the same field, but with all the same value, and I would argue more, attached.

If you want to learn code, if you want a new and exciting career, look no further. Maybe I'm gushing a bit... but these guys are great.

• Jenn Turner • Graduate

Benefits of BSCA’s bootcamp:

• GI Bill approved.
    • BSCA let me use my windows computer even though the web development community “highly suggests” a Mac. I can’t afford a new computer right now.
    • Remote-class format was the number one reason for taking this course. I had the option to travel to Missoula if I wanted face-to-face time with the instructors, but I never felt like I needed to take advantage of that. Other schools require ‘immersive weekends’ in addition to traveling on the evenings. This course was only three evenings each week (at home).
    • The video conferencing was good practice since this meeting format is becoming increasingly popular.
    • The instructors are incredibly knowledgeable. Not only do they know code, they know how to teach it and are incredibly patient. They’re available during the weekends and out-of-class hours.

Reasons why I wanted to learn these skills:

• It was important for me to take this course right now because of a possible move out of state. I need in-demand employable skills in case I need a new job.
    • Many companies will not hire without experience and I have the opportunity now (at my current job) to work part-time using the skills I just learned to gain that experience. I'm using EXACTLY what I learned in class for my job right now. I'm doing front end work using React, scss, github, and node. I get to keep my same job, but work almost 80% of the time using JavaScript, building my resume!
  • Travis

I'm very happy with my decision to join Big Sky Code Academy. The instructors are very knowledgable and patient which allows you to feel comfortable and have the hunger to learn every class. The first couple weeks they made sure we understood the fundamentals of JavaScript and progressed from there to using Vue, React, and Express. The curriculum is dialed in right now and is definitely worth your time if your interested in web development.

• Emily • Graduate

I took a full stack JS course from Big Sky Code Academy this summer and it was a great experience. I am a traditional Computer Science student during the school year and I found the course to be challenging and useful. I learned a lot and gained experience that I wouldn't have gotten in a traditional school environment. The skills they teach you are meant to prepare you for finding a job in the tech industry so you learn relevant, cutting edge skills that employers are looking for.

The curriculum took us through server side development using NodeJS and then we learned several front-end libraries including Vue and React. Like with anything, you get out what you put in. In addition to in-class projects, there was also weekly homework. The in-class projects we worked on together moved at a good pace because the instructor to student ratio was high and if someone was struggling there was always a teacher to help. The homework challenged us to use the tools we learned in a larger context which helped reinforce the big concepts we covered in class. I found it easy to get help if I was struggling with a topic or had questions about the homework. It typically took only a few minutes for one of my instructors to get back to me about any questions I had.

Overall, the experience was great and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking to get a programming job or who are looking to make professional connections in the tech industry.

• Karsten Pease • Student

I took the BIg Sky Code Academy In the Morning Summer of 2017 and I abosolutly loved it. As a computer science major I have found this online clas very hands on and helpufl in terms of learning not only javascript but HTML, CSS, React, NodeJS and even a little bit of databases. For some one who is just starting out in code,  they will make sure that you are keeping up with the class and not falling behind. One thing I really admired in this bootcamp was that if you are having trouble tryng to get your code to work they will teach you the best ways to try and debug it on your own and if you still have trouble they will help fix it for you and then explain what when wrong. Before this class I have had some coding experiance and  the Big Sky Code Academy did a tremendous job at making sure that you not only will your programs work but that you  can do it on your own later on. They school is a great oppertunity for anybody trying to get into the tech field with a very hectic shedual, wether you are a mom with kids, or someone who has a job, it is a great way to get a jump on your future tech career.

• Cody M. • Graduate

I am a non-traditional bootcamp graduate...three degrees...family...not in my 20's.  When I was looking into the bootcamp option I grew more and more skeptical as all of the articles out there share doom and gloom stories about people spending thousands for nothing.  So what did I initially do...I went the cheap route and subscribed to one of the many teach yourself to code classes.  After a few weeks of working with the platform I felt I needed more of a challenge so I took the plunge and applied to Big Sky Code Academy's part-time evening class.  During the two interviews, I had to make sure that the course and school was right for me, I felt as if the staff really did listen to my needs to make sure they were compatible with what the school could offer.  Once accepted the course needed to be changed to an online conference format due to the lack of local interest in my town.  I loved it!  It forced me to take stage and learn/interact with all the members of my class.  The online format also allowed my life to happen in the background since all I needed was my computer and a Wi-Fi connection to attend class.  The material was well prepared and thought out.  My main complaint was that there was a lot of material to get through in not a lot of time to get through it.  Since I was working I was not able to devour some of the content as much as I may have.  Once job time came around the staff was extremely helpful in presenting all of my options for employment, but here is my main stick when reading the reviews of code schools on day one.  98.9% of the time a job will not land in your lap and you will need to hustle to land something for yourself - especially in the bootcamp graduate market.  YOU will need to do a lot of extra work to make the transition to a big-name tech company and the staff at Big Sky Code Academy are willing to give you all the tips and feedback you need...YOU just need to do it and implement what tips they give you.  You may also need to learn a new language or two to pass a technical interview...Big Sky Code Academy provided such a good framework though that you can refactor your projects into new projects to learn and practice any new language you could need.  I would not go back on my decision at this point in time...I love my experience at Big Sky Code Academy.