actualize-logo

Actualize

Chicago, Online

Actualize

Actualize is a 12-week software development bootcamp in Chicago and online throughout the US, offering both part-time and full-time options. Instructors with professional educational experience teach students full stack web development including Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, VueJS, SQL, and Git. Both the in-person and online programs use the same immersive, instruction-driven curriculum, with the Online Live classes conducted in real time with video conferencing. Actualize has a deeply integrated “Job Hacking” curriculum focused on the personal branding and networking skills necessary to land a new job, which Actualize feels is just as important as learning to code.

After the 12-week program, students have the option to join its unique Career Support program, which has contains additional training for Job Hacking, a job accountability group, and team projects to add to one’s portfolio.

To apply, students can submit an application via the website, then go through a series of two interviews with an admissions advisor. There are no coding challenges, but students must complete 4 weeks of prework before the program starts.

The daytime course takes place Mondays through Fridays, while the part-time course takes place on Sundays and weeknights, designed to allow the working person to attend a coding bootcamp while still working a daytime job.

Recent Actualize Reviews: Rating 4.92

all (378) reviews for Actualize →

Recent Actualize News

Read all (14) articles about Actualize →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, Rails, Ruby, SQL
    LocationChicago, Online
    Tuition PlansAsk for details about payment plans.
    Prep WorkSome introductory work given several weeks in advance of the start of the program.
  • Megan  User Photo
    Megan • Student Verified via GitHub
    Actualize was such an incredible experience. I learned the most critical components of web development and more. I am finishing up the course with a plethora of resources at hand. I had Peter as my instructor and he explained everything crystal clear; truly one of the best teachers I've ever had! Him and all staff I interacted with at Actualize were always so helpful. Lisa, the career advisor, was instrumental in helping me land my first job. Thanks so much Actualize!
  • Todd  User Photo
    Todd • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I did a lot of research on which bootcamp I wanted to join and I picked actualize because of their focus to be teachers first. The curriculum is designed to actually teach you how to think like a software engineer. My instructor Peter and  TA Kevin were always there to help when needed. I spoke to many big name bootcamps and I just felt like a number where at Actualize it was a bit more personal.  The pricing was way more realistic as well! The job hacking lessons really helped me with my confidence in applying for jobs and prepared me in ways that I never would have gotten teaching myself how to code.  Id would recommend Actualize to anyone who is ready to make that commitment to a bootcamp that delivers beyond what you paid for.

• Web Developer
    Alan  User Photo
    Alan • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The main reason i chose Actualize was for the online night classes and the Job assistance. I feel like the main focus of this bootcamp was not just the coding and building your skills (though it is a massive part) but also finding and landing a job in Web Development. If you're looking for a course that is going to help you through the process of learning and finding a job definitely check out Actualize.
  • <3 Actualize
    Taylor Dorsett  User Photo
    Taylor Dorsett • Software Developer at SoupSonic • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I choose Actualize because I know a lot of successful Actualize graduates and it has a great reputation in Chicago. They also have an after-hours program that makes it possible for folks who are working to attend the boot camp.

I loved the program. We started by learning ruby on rails which is an easier programming language to understand. When we moved to JavaScript I was able to recognize the concepts we learned in Ruby. The pacing of the course was great. I cant stress this enough. Feeling like I was being pushed but still being able to keep up kept me engaged. Peter our instructor was fantastic. I think he might be the most experienced Bootcamp instructor in Chicago and maybe the US.

I'd recommend Actualize to anyone who is looking to make a career transition. +1 if you are looking for a bootcamp that you can do while still maintaining a day job. +2 if you have tried programming in the past but got stuck. Actualize is run by educators who are developers which makes all the difference.
  • Sun Shin  User Photo
    Sun Shin • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I enrolled into Actualize after seeing my brother go through the bootcamp and see the strides he has made in his career afterwards. After recently completing the program I feel as I can do the same despite the current state of the job market in 2020. Not only have I learned modern coding languages such as Ruby on Rails and Javascript, but most important I was taught how to be a better student as well. I feel confident that I will now be able to tackle and coding language/framework after being taught key fundamentals at Actualize. The instructors explain concepts well and are prepared to make time for each individual. The amount of resources and help available from the instructors and career advisors goes above and beyond in comparison from my knowledge of other bootcamps. I also was hesitant about online instruction, but I would say it is just as good as in-person!
  • Winston  User Photo
    Winston • Web Dev • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I found the decision as to which bootcamp to attend to be an exceedingly difficult one. After nearly signing up for a big corporate owned camp, I came across Actualize. Actualize makes you feel noticed and supported. You are with the same instructor and teaching assistants the whole through so you feel like your progress is really being tracked and you are building connections throughout the camp. A lot of camps out there feel a little scammy, with published job rates and what not. Oh so you have 98% of graduates, get job, well what defines a graduate? The truth is what you put is what you get out, and that applies to actualize, but they give you solid footing to exceed without trying disassociate with you if you aren't meeting requirements. Because they aren't wrapped up in a published job placement rate they can focus on helping the students as much as helping themselves. Actualize also provides continued support with smaller lessons and job help after you graduate.   If I had to choose a bootcamp again I would definitely make the same decision. If you are unsure of what to choose, choose actualize. Don't get caught up on languages and frameworks that are taught. You'll be better off going to a camp with a good environment and actualize has that. Peace.
  • Mike W  User Photo
    Mike W • Student Verified via GitHub
    I researched bootcamps extensively, and had almost decided to go with one of more well-known bootcamps.  Luckily, I came across an article by Jay Wengrow on LinkedIn which led me to Actualize.  After speaking with them, and discussing the options, I decided to register with Actualize, and there has not even been one moment since that I have regretted that decision. They are truly an exceptional bootcamp with people who personally care about your success.  In addition to the outstanding curriculum that builds upon itself everyday, the job search portion is second to none.   They prepare you for the job search by not only providing the people and the tools to succeed during the bootcamp, but continuing support and training every step of the way afterwards.  I would not hesitate to recommend Actualize to anyone looking to start a career in Software Development.
  • Fresh Graduate
    Jack  User Photo
    Jack • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I just finished this program and I have to say it has been one of the best decisions in my life so far. I chose Actualize due to them being a Chicago based program, as I am Chicago based as well, but another huge upside was the fact that they have implemented online-based teaching since before the pandemic. That means they weren't scrambling to figure out how to put their curriculum online, or to turn it into a zoom based class, the structure was there and it always had been. That made it feel like an incredibly good pick during this time.

The online-live class setup is a fantastic way to learn coding, with immediate feedback and great class-flow between lectures and exercises. With an emphasis on learning to learn the instructors at Actualize are training your brain to think like a developer, encourage problem solving and growth mindset. I really have nothing but good things to say about Actualize, and they let you sit in on classes in progress if you're applying and want to see how the classes are structured. So if you're on the fence, setup a sit-in and see for yourself!

• Katrina Jelinek  User Photo
    Katrina Jelinek • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Deciding to learn coding through Actualize was easily one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. The course is packed with information and moves very fast, but not so much that you can't keep up. Dani Zaghian was my instructor and she is an incredible teacher. She was always very clear about what is happening in the concepts she was teaching along with what is expected of each of her students throughout the course. It was a great experience and I would encourage anyone who is considering attending a bootcamp to consider Actualize.
  • Aaron  User Photo
    Aaron • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Having just graduated, I don't know how my job will go (or for how long) but everything related to career planning I've received during the course has been incredibly helpful. I came into this course with a pretty strong computer science understanding, but was pretty overwhelmed trying to self learn frontend and backend frameworks. I'm not sure there's any way to get better at simply coding other than putting in the time, so keep that in mind when you're thinking about any bootcamp in particular. Most of this bootcamp has been focused on using frameworks. Even though its unlikely you'll ever work solely in those frameworks in the future, I'm confident moving forward to learn new frameworks with ease and a better understanding of what challenges in development the specific features of a framework intend to address.
  • Blake Gandy  User Photo
    Blake Gandy • Student Verified via GitHub
    I couldn't be happier with my decision to attend Actualize. The instructor and TA's are really helpful and you always feel like you've got one on one help when you need it. The curriculum felt engaging and challenging which forced myself and my classmates to really push ourselves to see what we were capable of. If you were looking for a remote bootcamp I would strongly suggest you check out Actualize. You won't be disappointed!
  • Melanie  User Photo
    Melanie • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Actualize was the best decision I have ever made. After getting half way through a computer programming degree at a community college and never writing a single line of code, I decided to take some coding classes online. I found them lacking the structure and guidance I needed. That's when I started combing reviews for a solid bootcamp. I noticed Actualize had so many perfect ratings and now I understand why. This school teaches you how to code. But, more importantly, they teach you how to LEARN how to code. I feel confident after taking this bootcamp that I can learn any language I want. The lead instructor, Brian, is a phenomenal instructor. He anticipates and validates the difficult parts and his background in teaching AND software development really show in how he conducts the course.  You can tell he truly cares about each student's success in the course. The curriculum is relevant and useful. They teach programming logic in a way that I wish I would've learned earlier! They provide tons of career support during and after and Lisa, the job hacking instructor, is as caring and empathetic as all of the staff. She really wants to see you succeed. I left this course feeling empowered, confident and like a true developer. You will always have more to learn as a developer but now I know how to learn anything! I could not recommend this bootcamp more and I am so grateful I found them.