actualize-logo

Actualize

Chicago, Online

Actualize

Actualize is a 12-week software development bootcamp in Chicago and online throughout the US, offering both part-time and full-time options. Instructors with professional educational experience teach students full stack web development including Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, VueJS, SQL, and Git. Both the in-person and online programs use the same immersive, instruction-driven curriculum, with the Online Live classes conducted in real time with video conferencing. Actualize has a deeply integrated “Job Hacking” curriculum focused on the personal branding and networking skills necessary to land a new job, which Actualize feels is just as important as learning to code.

After the 12-week program, students have the option to join its unique Career Support program, which has contains additional training for Job Hacking, a job accountability group, and team projects to add to one’s portfolio.

To apply, students can submit an application via the website, then go through a series of two interviews with an admissions advisor. There are no coding challenges, but students must complete 4 weeks of prework before the program starts.

The daytime course takes place Mondays through Fridays, while the part-time course takes place on Sundays and weeknights, designed to allow the working person to attend a coding bootcamp while still working a daytime job.

Recent Actualize Reviews: Rating 4.91

all (444) reviews for Actualize →

Recent Actualize News

Read all (15) articles about Actualize →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, Rails, Ruby, SQL
    LocationChicago, Online
    Tuition PlansAsk for details about payment plans.
    Prep WorkSome introductory work given several weeks in advance of the start of the program.
  • 10/10
    Jeffrey  User Photo
    Jeffrey • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I came to actualize looking to transition careers from a chemistry background to something in Web Development (I had no prior coding experience). I decided to go with actualize because I was able to still work full time and take their night class online. In 12 weeks I was able to learn how to build both a front end and back end for web apps. It takes a lot of work and you need to come to class wanting to learn. I had Brian as my instructor and he was amazing. I would recommend his to anyone he was the best.
  • Graduate
    Patrick Nikolaus  User Photo
    Patrick Nikolaus • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Having done a prep course for a different bootcamp that left me uninspired and unmotivated, I stumbled upon Actualize. From day one they were super transparent and communicative about their program and any questions I had. Learning that my teacher was not only a developer but also an actual teacher was the selling point for me. Brian was my instructor, not only did he create a friendly and relaxed environment to learn, but he laid the curriculum out in a way that was very easily absorbed. My all around experience at Actualize was great, I looked forward to class everyday and I came away from it learning and grasping way more than I thought I was going to be able to. If you thrive in a structured environment with a laid back atmosphere I would highly recommend Actualize to you.
  • Great School!
    Matthias  User Photo
    Matthias • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I was directed to this Bootcamp from a friend who graduated here. He had nothing but good things to say about the instructors and curriculum. This made it easy for me to pick Actualize when I decided to make a career switch. I would highly recommend Actualize Coding Bootcamp! Their staff is very knowledgeable, helpful and want to see you succeed. The course is in depth and teaches you not only how to code from the ground up but also integrates ways to find a job when the course is over.
  • Graduate
    - 7/22/2021
    Brandy  User Photo
    Brandy • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I have zero regrets. NONE.
    Here's a little background on me - 40 year old student, with essentially no tech experience prior to taking this class, diverse career experiences completely unrelated to tech. Around February of 2020, I started paying closer attention to my internal voice pulling me toward tech. So, I did the wise thing...I turned to YouTube. My heart began to thump in my chest and an excitement I hadn't felt for a long time began to rise up as my eyes opened to possibilities.  I bought a $18 online course for SQL. Something not too intimidating. I liked it. I attended a virtual conference, connected with folks on LinkedIn, bought another online course that cost a bit more, python.  It was then that I realized as a complete newbie, who barely even knew the lingo associated with tech, was fumbling through GitHub etc. I needed a Bootcamp, I needed peers. And here is where Actualize comes in.

Actualize provided  structure, direction (cause I could sense myself teetering on the edge of a rabbit hole), accountability and very importantly, I wanted to talk to my instructor & classmates in real time, like see their faces. For me I needed feedback immediately as I learned these complex problems. Kevin, the pre-work instructor, provided feedback and eased the transition into the intense live-teaching portion of the program. Peter, my instructor, was funny, smart, super encouraging. Megan & Sarah, the T.A.'s were patient, supportive and helpful.  Lisa & Sarah, the career specialists are with us during the entire job hunting process until we land that job and after! The team at Actualize truly have our backs. I feel it.

Actualize equipped me with the tools, resources and community I needed.

So, I mentioned my age earlier because I want the person reading this to understand that you can do this!  Don't let doubt and fear creep in.  Don't talk yourself out of it.

Actualize, thanks a bunch!
  • Macy  User Photo
    Macy • Student Verified via GitHub
     Amazing learning experience! Was able to start out as a newbie coder and create my own app towards the end.

Everyone was encouraging from start to finish. More experienced members with code were SO SUPPORTIVE and didn’t make me feel like less because of my lack of experience.  In fact, we all laughed at our struggles.

Will always look back fondly at my time here. (:
  • Vinny  User Photo
    Vinny • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I have been working in creative fields for roughly fifteen years. After my last position, which exposed me to scripting in 3ds Max and in Cygwin, I felt that I had finally reached a terminal career point. I could have gotten comfortable and settled-in, possibly for life, but I wanted more challenge, so I made the decision to switch careers to coding.

After researching multiple bootcamps, their curriculums and poring over reviews of instructors, I made the decision to go with Actualize. A strong draw for me was not necessarily the technologies covered, but how well the instructors were reviewed and how well the information is presented.

Ruby/Rails, Javascript, SQL, Bootstrap and Vue.js are definitely solid technologies to know, and are very accessible, but they are not necessarily the current meta for "what's hot." The mission of Actualize, to not necessarily teach students whatever languages and frameworks are the current fad, but rather teach the frameworks for self-learning that will empower students to switch to any other language or framework, allows me to not only appreciate what I have learned in my short time in the class, but also appreciate what I am about to start learning on my own, and at a future employer.
  • Mathias S.  User Photo
    Mathias S. • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I went in to this bootcamp with virtually no coding experience and by the end I had made a web application from the ground up and presented it to a panel. Very pleased with how much I learned here and the support I received from the instructor and TAs.

The job hacking portion of the class was a major help to me. I would not have been able to advertise myself this well to employers without it.

I look forward to my new brighter future as well as seeing where my fellow classmates end up. The community of our class was fun and always willing to lend a hand.
  • Ryan  User Photo
    Ryan • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Actualize delivered on everything that I expected going into the bootcamp. The curriculum was very effective in giving me a solid foundation of skills and concepts. But most importantly I feel empowered to go out and learn any language or skill that I feel passionate about or interested in. Dani was a great instructor and provided the right balance of guidance and instruction paired with the opportunity to solve problems and tackle challenges on our own using the skills we learned.
  • 10/10 experience
    - 7/16/2021
    Ian  User Photo
    Ian • Student Verified via GitHub
    I just finished the Day section of Actualize coding bootcamp with Dani as my instructor. Prior to joining Actualize I worked in education, and then in media.

I decided it was time for a career change, and to really do something beneficial to myself and my future. In High School I had taken some basic coding courses in C++/HTML/CSS, and tried to pursue Computer Science in college. However, I was not great at the math and science that a 4 year CS degree includes, and so I switched majors to education.

Fast forward many years to 2020, I had been working as (and still do) a video editor. While I enjoy the work, I really wanted a career with some consistency and staying power. I told myself, and some friends, that I was going to join a coding bootcamp. I did my research, I built out an Excel spreadsheet with all the bootcamps I was considering, and I landed on Actualize.

I chose Actualize 1) because of the flexibility in the schedule, a day or a night section, and the day section allowed me to continue working in the mornings and 2) because of their mission statement regarding hiring educators first and coding second. Coming from an education background I understood the importance of having an instructor that could really teach the material in an effective way.

I'm so glad I chose Actualize. I feel like I had a great experience all around, and learned so much information in such a short amount of time (and was able to retain all of it!). The career support once a week built into the curriculum was also helpful in getting me to start thinking about what my life would be like when the bootcamp ended, and I feel very prepared to continue on in my journey into the tech world. I'll never stop learning, and I'll always keep working on new and interesting ideas.
  • Jeff S.  User Photo
    Jeff S. • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    tldr; sign up for Actualize, they are absolutely everything they claim to be. You will graduate with a solid foundation to start your career in development!

I've taken pride at being self-taught at many things. But I struggled to teach myself programming beyond a basic level for quite a while. I spent more time trying to decide which language to learn than on just picking one (spoiler alert: it doesn't matter, just pick one and move on!). I'd skip over the fundamentals just to hack together code on a deadline for small parts of my job without understanding what I was doing at all. But the program at Actualize was completely worthwhile and feel like it has prepared me for a life of learning in Web Development.

Actualize started with the fundamentals without ever feeling simplistic. The pre-work was engaging and well structured. The live instruction was phenomenal and was a great balance of technical instruction, career coaching, habit forming and developing strong problem solving skills. It moved at a great pace and jumped between instruction and exercises but constantly pushed (forced?) me to keep learning, something that is hard to maintain on your own. The curriculum was well rounded and the group work was a great way to practice collaborative project-based coding. The capstone project was where everything we were taught came together and I was astounded at how much I had actually learned and was able to pull off. It also taught me how to focus under pressure, search out resources, pick my priorities and work up against a hard development deadline.

I was hesitant to pay for a coding bootcamp and thought "I can just teach myself with some online courses". But the reality is there's no way I could have learned this much material and covered such a broad array of coding and computer science concepts in any coherent way on my own. Not to mention you have little to no support when going the self-teaching route. But at Actualize during exercises I received help on things that could have taken me hours or days to figure out on my own - leaving time to reinforce the skills I was building while still exploring more advanced concepts. The deadlines and group projects were very effective at cementing my knowledge and forcing me to learn and think on the fly.

Overall a phenomenal experience and I would highly recommend you sign up right now or visit one of their classes to see what its like for yourself. But save some time, quit debating and just sign up for Actualize. There will be plenty of time for self teaching after you graduate but at least you'll be able to start off on a solid foundation with a network of resources to take with you, and that's a huge advantage.
  • John  User Photo
    John • Student Verified via GitHub
    Realized halfway through that the founder's partner was the admissions coordinator who helped me sign up, My instructor was actually also the dean, and I was lucky enough to present my code to the founder for my final. Instructors were available for advice well past class class time, with the aforementioned dean pulling very late nights to be ready for finals week. TA's and pre-work instructors were incredibly helpful and friendly. I took the whole class online and hope to meet up with classmates and Instructors soon.
  • Excellent Program
    - 7/16/2021
    Josh  User Photo
    Josh • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    The number one reason I picked Actualize was because of what I had heard about their career support. I am writing this review on my last day of class and I already have a job, but even if I didn't, the career support is phenomenal and continues long after graduation.

Our instructor, Peter, was great. Before I started this class, I had never written a line of code in my life, but I now feel prepared to enter the profession.