actualize-logo

Actualize

Chicago, Online

Actualize

Actualize is a 12-week software development bootcamp in Chicago and online throughout the US, offering both part-time and full-time options. Instructors with professional educational experience teach students full stack web development including Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, VueJS, SQL, and Git. Both the in-person and online programs use the same immersive, instruction-driven curriculum, with the Online Live classes conducted in real time with video conferencing. Actualize has a deeply integrated “Job Hacking” curriculum focused on the personal branding and networking skills necessary to land a new job, which Actualize feels is just as important as learning to code.

After the 12-week program, students have the option to join its unique Career Support program, which has contains additional training for Job Hacking, a job accountability group, and team projects to add to one’s portfolio.

To apply, students can submit an application via the website, then go through a series of two interviews with an admissions advisor. There are no coding challenges, but students must complete 4 weeks of prework before the program starts.

The daytime course takes place Mondays through Fridays, while the part-time course takes place on Sundays and weeknights, designed to allow the working person to attend a coding bootcamp while still working a daytime job.

Recent Actualize Reviews: Rating 4.92

all (378) reviews for Actualize →

Recent Actualize News

Read all (14) articles about Actualize →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, Rails, Ruby, SQL
    LocationChicago, Online
    Tuition PlansAsk for details about payment plans.
    Prep WorkSome introductory work given several weeks in advance of the start of the program.
  • Pinny G  User Photo
    Pinny G • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Hello all, recent grad of Actualize here.
    I was looking for a bootcamp to learn software development as I wanted to enter the tech world. After searching around online I found these exact reviews about Actualize. The positive reviews seemed too good to be true lol. A quick look on reddit told me they were not kidding and that this is one of the best bootcamps around. I reached out to the intake staff and immediately was struck by the personal attention of the staff! I had at least a 30 min conversation with the intake advisor who patiently answered all my question and tried to help me make an informed decision. She even offered to connect me to the teaching staff and past alums!

After starting the program, I felt taken care of by the entire Actualize staff. My class instructor, Amanda, is a rockstar teacher and went above and beyond to impart all the things we need to know to get a job in the tech world. She turned our cohort into a close group where we were all growing together. There is so much more to switching careers and learning software development than the hard technical skills. And that is where Actualize really shined! They were quick to support us in all ways besides actual code. Their job-hacking team, with Lisa and Sarah, helped us prepare for the tech world by training us on interviews, resumes, and networking/LinkedIn. The bootcamp also prepared us for whiteboarding and solving complex coding problems.

At other bootcamps you might be thrown into a class with 100s of people and then have TAs do the rest of the work or you will be stuck with an instructor who might be a great developer but a lousy teacher. At Actualize, instructors are developers who develop developers. Also, you will be in a more intimate cohort and really grow and gain together.

Lastly, the journey does not end upon completion of the bootcamp. It continues past that with constant reinforcement and training for both development and job-searching. There is a follow up course that is included that goes deeper into the problem solving and computer science.

When in doubt choose Actualize.
  • Meg Howe  User Photo
    Meg Howe • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I chose Actualize after a friend recommended it and after reading about the emphasis that Actualize puts on EDUCATION and putting understanding first. I wanted a personal touch and what I got was just that. My class was small and I got to talk 1 on 1 with career coaches, my instructor, my classmates, and even the dean of students, who personally called me when I was having second thoughts. Something I was really impressed by was the FORMAT of the class. We had several daily routines, lectures followed by exercises, and weekly job hacking sessions which really put me ahead when beginning to apply for jobs. We also had 2 Teaching Assistants, which meant office hours twice a week (super helpful and consistent) and at least one of them in class to help with questions every day. You begin with a month of pre-work which is at your own pace with a class once a week to go over that weeks assignments. It prepares you well for when you begin class full-time. My instructor Amanda cares about her students and even went out of her way one day to spend a full hour talking to me about her experience as a woman coming up in the industry. I was extremely grateful to have her as a role model both as a software engineer and as a woman in tech. I'm on my last day to class now, and I've accumulated: a great portfolio via GitHub, a personal website that I created myself, a fully loaded LinkedIn with over 600 connections, a professional resume, tons of resources, and a completed capstone project. Also the understanding of what those things even mean. I've already applied to 20 jobs and have 2 interviews lined up.
  • Jordan   User Photo
    Jordan • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I think the most important thing to me about Actualize is that you learn a lot but maintain great mental and work-life balance. A lot of code bootcamps have crazy hours per day but Actualize was consistently 11 am - 4 pm every day with an hour or two of homework per day--very manageable. As someone who struggles with mental health challenges, this was crucial to me. Amanda was a fantastic instructor and explained things well but also encouraged me to take breaks when I needed them. We learned primarily Ruby on Rails and VueJS, which I feel is a good foundation for full stack web dev.
  • Mabelys  User Photo
    Mabelys • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Extremely happy I chose Actualize. Not only does it provide great instructors but the staff genuinely cares about the students and their growth. There was a strong sense of community and we all quickly became comfortable with one another and trusted one another in the learning process. I've built long lasting friendships and will forever keep this experience near and dear to my heart. Im so proud of myself and my cohort. Congratulations team, we did it!!!
  • Pavel Nosarev  User Photo
    Pavel Nosarev • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I personally came from a zero coding background and wanted to be able to start from the ground up. After tons of research I decided on Actualize because of the great curriculum and awesome staff. Everything here was a joy to work through. (and make sure to ask for Amanda, she is the best!)
  • 10/10
    Jeffrey  User Photo
    Jeffrey • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I came to actualize looking to transition careers from a chemistry background to something in Web Development (I had no prior coding experience). I decided to go with actualize because I was able to still work full time and take their night class online. In 12 weeks I was able to learn how to build both a front end and back end for web apps. It takes a lot of work and you need to come to class wanting to learn. I had Brian as my instructor and he was amazing. I would recommend his to anyone he was the best.
  • Graduate
    Patrick Nikolaus  User Photo
    Patrick Nikolaus • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Having done a prep course for a different bootcamp that left me uninspired and unmotivated, I stumbled upon Actualize. From day one they were super transparent and communicative about their program and any questions I had. Learning that my teacher was not only a developer but also an actual teacher was the selling point for me. Brian was my instructor, not only did he create a friendly and relaxed environment to learn, but he laid the curriculum out in a way that was very easily absorbed. My all around experience at Actualize was great, I looked forward to class everyday and I came away from it learning and grasping way more than I thought I was going to be able to. If you thrive in a structured environment with a laid back atmosphere I would highly recommend Actualize to you.
  • Great School!
    Matthias  User Photo
    Matthias • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I was directed to this Bootcamp from a friend who graduated here. He had nothing but good things to say about the instructors and curriculum. This made it easy for me to pick Actualize when I decided to make a career switch. I would highly recommend Actualize Coding Bootcamp! Their staff is very knowledgeable, helpful and want to see you succeed. The course is in depth and teaches you not only how to code from the ground up but also integrates ways to find a job when the course is over.
  • Graduate
    - 7/22/2021
    Brandy  User Photo
    Brandy • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I have zero regrets. NONE.
    Here's a little background on me - 40 year old student, with essentially no tech experience prior to taking this class, diverse career experiences completely unrelated to tech. Around February of 2020, I started paying closer attention to my internal voice pulling me toward tech. So, I did the wise thing...I turned to YouTube. My heart began to thump in my chest and an excitement I hadn't felt for a long time began to rise up as my eyes opened to possibilities.  I bought a $18 online course for SQL. Something not too intimidating. I liked it. I attended a virtual conference, connected with folks on LinkedIn, bought another online course that cost a bit more, python.  It was then that I realized as a complete newbie, who barely even knew the lingo associated with tech, was fumbling through GitHub etc. I needed a Bootcamp, I needed peers. And here is where Actualize comes in.

Actualize provided  structure, direction (cause I could sense myself teetering on the edge of a rabbit hole), accountability and very importantly, I wanted to talk to my instructor & classmates in real time, like see their faces. For me I needed feedback immediately as I learned these complex problems. Kevin, the pre-work instructor, provided feedback and eased the transition into the intense live-teaching portion of the program. Peter, my instructor, was funny, smart, super encouraging. Megan & Sarah, the T.A.'s were patient, supportive and helpful.  Lisa & Sarah, the career specialists are with us during the entire job hunting process until we land that job and after! The team at Actualize truly have our backs. I feel it.

Actualize equipped me with the tools, resources and community I needed.

So, I mentioned my age earlier because I want the person reading this to understand that you can do this!  Don't let doubt and fear creep in.  Don't talk yourself out of it.

Actualize, thanks a bunch!
  • Macy  User Photo
    Macy • Student Verified via GitHub
     Amazing learning experience! Was able to start out as a newbie coder and create my own app towards the end.

Everyone was encouraging from start to finish. More experienced members with code were SO SUPPORTIVE and didn’t make me feel like less because of my lack of experience.  In fact, we all laughed at our struggles.

Will always look back fondly at my time here. (:
  • Vinny  User Photo
    Vinny • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I have been working in creative fields for roughly fifteen years. After my last position, which exposed me to scripting in 3ds Max and in Cygwin, I felt that I had finally reached a terminal career point. I could have gotten comfortable and settled-in, possibly for life, but I wanted more challenge, so I made the decision to switch careers to coding.

After researching multiple bootcamps, their curriculums and poring over reviews of instructors, I made the decision to go with Actualize. A strong draw for me was not necessarily the technologies covered, but how well the instructors were reviewed and how well the information is presented.

Ruby/Rails, Javascript, SQL, Bootstrap and Vue.js are definitely solid technologies to know, and are very accessible, but they are not necessarily the current meta for "what's hot." The mission of Actualize, to not necessarily teach students whatever languages and frameworks are the current fad, but rather teach the frameworks for self-learning that will empower students to switch to any other language or framework, allows me to not only appreciate what I have learned in my short time in the class, but also appreciate what I am about to start learning on my own, and at a future employer.
  • Mathias S.  User Photo
    Mathias S. • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I went in to this bootcamp with virtually no coding experience and by the end I had made a web application from the ground up and presented it to a panel. Very pleased with how much I learned here and the support I received from the instructor and TAs.

The job hacking portion of the class was a major help to me. I would not have been able to advertise myself this well to employers without it.

I look forward to my new brighter future as well as seeing where my fellow classmates end up. The community of our class was fun and always willing to lend a hand.