actualize-logo

Actualize

Chicago, New York City, Online, San Francisco

Actualize

Actualize is a 12-week software development bootcamp in Chicago and online throughout the US, offering both part-time and full-time options. Instructors with professional educational experience teach students full stack web development including Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, VueJS, SQL, and Git. Both the in-person and online programs use the same immersive, instruction-driven curriculum, with the Online Live classes conducted in real time with video conferencing. Actualize has a deeply integrated “Job Hacking” curriculum focused on the personal branding and networking skills necessary to land a new job, which Actualize feels is just as important as learning to code.

After the 12-week program, students have the option to join its unique Career Support program, which has contains additional training for Job Hacking, a job accountability group, and team projects to add to one’s portfolio.

To apply, students can submit an application via the website, then go through a series of two interviews with an admissions advisor. There are no coding challenges, but students must complete 4 weeks of prework before the program starts.

The daytime course takes place Mondays through Fridays, while the part-time course takes place on Sundays and weeknights, designed to allow the working person to attend a coding bootcamp while still working a daytime job.

Recent Actualize Reviews: Rating 4.87

all (216) reviews for Actualize →

Recent Actualize News

Read all (13) articles about Actualize →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, Rails, CSS, Ruby
    LocationChicago, Online
    Tuition PlansAsk for details about payment plans.
    Prep WorkSome introductory work given several weeks in advance of the start of the program.

• $500 Actualize Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Actualize scholarship for $500 off tuition!

No eligibility restrictions.

• Web Development (Online)

• Joseph Lim  User Photo
    Joseph Lim • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

This was a wonderful course and I highly recommend it for anyone looking to kickstart their programming careers.

I chose the daytime class because I knew if I wanted to become a developer, I would need to be fully committed and it would be to my benefit to have as much time as possible devoted to learning. If you have the opportunity, I can definitely recommend this timeslot.

My lead instructor, Josh, is phenomenal and can answer most any question, or at least will problem-solve with you if it is not immediately clear to him. He is a natural teacher, so try to absorb as much of his knowledge as possible in this time.

Good luck!

• Online bootcamp
    Eddie Lee  User Photo
    Eddie Lee • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

The online bootcamp was everything I wanted in a course that would provide me with the tools I need to start a new career in web development. My instructor Dani is always high energy, enthusiastic, and ready to teach us new concepts and coding skills every day, which made learning how to code more enjoyable. She truly is a great instructor and it would be a blessing for anyone to have her as a teacher. There is a lot of material to learn but completely manageable and the pacing is great. I have no complaints and the course was perfect and it was everything I could have asked for and more.

• Graduate
    Brittani  User Photo
    Brittani • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

My experience at Actualize exceeded my expectations. When I began the boot camp I had very limited coding knowledge and upon exiting I feel extremely confident and well equipped with my skills. I chose Actualize over other boot camps because of the curriculum and support system that is available, which did not disappoint. I would recommend Actualize to anyone that is considering making the transition into the coding world!

• Actualize Chicago
    Myalisa  User Photo
    Myalisa • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I could not be more thankful for the experience I've had at Actualize. The support and encouragement from all of the instructors, the hands-on tutoring and instruction, and the valuable job search training are all reasons why I'm thankful that I chose Actualize above other boot camps.

I would recommend this boot camp to anyone who is even considering learning to code. Although the course material is challenging, I never felt like I didn't have enough resources to get through tough projects or concepts. This boot camp gives you such a great conceptual understanding of programming that by the end of it, you will feel confident to take on any programming language.

Truly grateful to everyone at Actualize for my experience, and I'm happy to be a part of such a warm and encouraging community.

• Angel Walker  User Photo
    Angel Walker • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

My experience with the online bootcamp has been amazing. There were 10 people in my class and we all got along really well. The instructor, Dani, is a badass. She knows the material backwards and forwards. Every instructional section of the class is recorded and uploaded so we can review as often as we like. I always felt comfortable asking questions. The use of breakout rooms made one-on-one time with Dani or one of the TAs easy to arrange. I never felt like I was missing out on instructional time because the course was taught online.

Classes start on time, and there are generous breaks so the class time is manageable. The course can seem overwhelming at times, but the pace of instruction is well thoughout. The final capstone project brings everything together at the end. I almost wish the course was one week longer to give us more time to fine tune and adjust our project prior to the final presentation. Even though I only know the other students via Zoom, I feel like we got to know each other well and will definitely keep in touch with each other long after the course ends.

• Tehilla  User Photo
    Tehilla • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I have had a really incredible experience at Actualize. I started the bootcamp with no background or experience on coding or web development. The amount that I have learned in the past 4 months amazes me. One thing that makes Actualize stand out is how the curriculum breaks down complex coding concepts into lessons that are easy to understand. My instructor, Peter, is a natural and patient teacher and made class a positive and enjoyable experience. I would definitely recommend Actualize to anyone looking to attend a bootcamp.

• Awesome
    Sim Sitzer  User Photo
    Sim Sitzer • University Student • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I did the Online Live Bootcamp and it was great, I can now confidentally say that I know how to code and more importantly how to learn how to code. Actualize focuses on teaching you how to learn, because no one ever will be a coding master in all areas, it's just too vast. Online sounds kind of anti-social but it really was Online Live. Actualize uses Zoom and it really works very smooth. My one bad part is the price, it costed me $12,900 total which is pretty hefty for only 3 months + 1 month of non-live pre-work. But Actualize is about the same price as most bootcamps, some are even more expensive, so it's all good.

I reccomend! If you work hard with the Job Hacking you can defineltely land a job but it's not for sure. I didn't look for a job after, I'm in College.

• Travis Knight  User Photo
    Travis Knight • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I first heard of Actualize through a random comment on a Chicago subreddit. I reached out to the user and asked about their experience. It sounded right up my alley so I sat in on a class. I was immediately drawn to Peter's teaching style. I also spent a lot of time talking to the TA, Jennifer, about her own experience. She was also wildly helpful in my decision making process.

Fast forward eight months and I just presented my final capstone project. It is an amazing feeling of accomplishment. Would highly recommend.

• Bart Stachurski  User Photo
    Bart Stachurski • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

TL/DR: 10/10 would recommend.

Actualize has been an amazing experience. Over the past few months I have learned so much about coding but more importantly I am coming away from this program with a belief that I can figure out just about anything in terms of coding.

Actualize focuses on teaching you how to teach yourself how to code so that you feel comfortable about tackling any problem. It's not about memorizing syntax or best practices.

I specifically took this course because of the remote video-conference structure. Since I was working full-time, I needed to take a course in the evenings. I was deciding between a course at a nearby college and Actualize but ultimatley went with Actualize because I realized there were a lot of extra logistics required with attending at a physical location, such as: parking at the school, dinner, coming back home after class would be even more difficult to find parking by my house....etc. Actualize gave me a near-as-makes-no-difference in-person experience without the hassles of being there in person.

The teacher, TA, and job-hacking instructor were all stellar. Concepts are explained at a challengning, but attainable, pace and everyone is generally available to you outside of class time as needed.

I have never learned so much in four months, and I definitely didn't expect to have as much fun as I did doing it. One of the best surprises from this was that I feel so close with all of my classmates. I was worried that the remote nature of the course might lead to people not being as engaged in class but it couldnt be further from the truth.

• Awesome
    Adam  User Photo
    Adam • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I chose Actualize because when I talked to the staff and admissions, I got the feeling that they were interested in teaching me, not just enrolling me. I appreciated that the focus of the 12 weeks was not just on teaching us valuable skills, but also on teaching us how to continue developing our skills once the bootcamp was over.

• Actualize review
    Mike  User Photo
    Mike • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The learning and classroom experience in the online cohort of Actualize was far more personal and welcoming than one would think when considering joining an online class. The instructors have a real passion for their work but it's their passion for wanting to teach others that really makes the miles between each student shrink. They are very understanding and want to help you with every problem that you have as stupid as it may seem to you, because they understand that you're learning and that you have tons of information being thrown at you. The growth mindset that Brian and Lisa taught us made moving forward and learning new concepts easier every day and that makes me very confident transitioning into my future as a web developer.

• Shane Psoinos  User Photo
    Shane Psoinos • Student Verified via GitHub

After just two short weeks of online class, I was completely floored with the amount of information I learned in such a short time. The instructor has great teaching skills and is very patient with the cohort, answering all of our questions and more often than not pointing us in the right direction to figure out our own problems ourselves, creating an actual learning moment for us. I loved the course and am very grateful to have been a part of this experience. 5/5

• Actualize Review
    - 5/15/2019
    Susmita  User Photo
    Susmita • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I am amazed by all the information we have learned in just four months! Coming into Actualize I had very little experience with coding and web development, however, by the end of the course, I was able to create a complete web application by myself with both a working front-end and a back-end. I took the part-time online course while working a full-time job and while the course was challenging at times it was still both manageable and enjoyable. Actualize provided me with a very strong foundation to continue learning upon. Whenever I had questions the instructors were readily available. There is also a great job hacking program in place for graduates which not only helps grads with finding jobs but also helps in making sure we continue coding and learning through graduate initiative projects. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone interested in starting a career in web development.

• Videsh Patel  User Photo
    Videsh Patel • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

This is probably one of the best bootcamps out there. They provide you everything you need to succeed and also has as strong job placement program.

It is amazing how much you will learn in 12 weeks. I can say that this has build a great foundation for me to pursue my career.

• Joey Harbert  User Photo
    Joey Harbert • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I heard about Actualize through google and sites like this one. Really wonderful experience! Great pace, really responsive staff, always ready to help you through any questions you have. At the end, you'll have a project you have built that you can add to your portfolio, as well as skills to start the inevitable job hunt. The main course focus is on programming fundamentals using Ruby, back-end API development using Ruby on Rails, front end with Vue.js as well as some quick detours here and there. Not sure what any of that means? No problem! Through the course pre-work and first couple weeks of the camp, Actualize will get you up to speed. You'll leave with skills to help you feel confident as you enter the workforce. They teach you the building blocks of coding, as well as how to apply those building blocks to new languages, which is invaluable. I would recommend Actualize to coding newbies and intermediate coders. I will say, if you're advanced (in web-development) and looking to brush up or learn a new language in a structured environment, you will certainly be able to do that here, it will just be at a pace that is slower than what you'd probably want.

• Adrian Fernandez  User Photo
    Adrian Fernandez • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Before enrolling into Actualize, I researched so many different coding bootcamps, but Actualize was the one that stood out the most to me. I had no prior coding experience, though it was tough, I gained so much insight and made my very own app! Everyone here is great, supportive, and understandable. That's something I truly enjoyed the most, that they understood this isn't going to be easy, but made sure I pulled through. I highly recommend Actualize to anyone who's experienced or not. Great way to take the first step into Software Development.

• Graduate
    - 5/15/2019
    Preston   User Photo
    Preston • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Course work was unbelievably challenging and the pace was dizzying, but the online course was easily as rewarding as any class I've taken in person. Brian and his TA Josh went above and beyond in being engaging, present, and accessible. There is a delicate balance between teaching someone and giving them the answer, especially when the pace of learning is so accelerated. The instructors walked that line delicately. My only complaint was that there wasn't more time to learn.

• Daniel Hovorka  User Photo
    Daniel Hovorka • Support Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I heard about Actualize through some developers at the company I work for. They had started their careers here and have been quite successful. That was enough of a testimonial for me to commit.

The overall experience was what I was looking for which was a wholeistic approach to software engineering.  No bootcamp is going to turn you into a master coder but it will show you the fundamentals and give you a solid foundation to build off of. You will get out of this course what you put into it.

Actualize is a good chocie for someone who has an idea of what they want. I believe having clear goals in mind prior to starting bootcamp is important. I did the night cohort which meant long days but in the end was very much worth it.  At the end of bootcamp I was able to make an internal transition to the development team at my company.

• Actualize review
    - 5/10/2019
    Jon   User Photo
    Jon • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I chose Actualize based on the night program that allowed me to keep my job during the day. Also the location was great as I already worked downtown. The experience was great I learned a TON. I really needed a classroom setting with an instructor to take the next step in my development and Actualize provided just that. I would recommend this Bootcamp to anyone interested in web development or looking to sharpen their skills as a web developer. It is a great place to learn no matter what your background is. The instructors and everyone involved were awesome.

• Brandon Ray  User Photo
    Brandon Ray • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I chose Actualize among all the other bootcamp alternatives because they seemed to focus a lot on pedagogy, the process of teaching and learning. I knew that technical expertise wouldn't mean much if the instructors didn't know how to convey that expertise in a way that helped students grow. And boy, did Actualize deliver. Every step of the way, I felt challenged but always supported. I was given the gift of learning *how to be a programmer*, not how to memorize a specific syntax. I know, going forward, that I can fill in the gaps of what I don't know, and continue to grow as a developer becuase of the skills I learned here. It's the best decision I've ever made from a professional/education standpoint, and I would enthusiastically recommend it to anyone who is seeking to become a programmer.

• Actualize Review
    - 5/10/2019
    Mike Browne  User Photo
    Mike Browne • Data Analyst • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Peter Jang lead an intesne 12 week bootcamp where I got to learn the fundamentals of coding and how to think like a developer. I would recommend Actualize highly to anyone who is looking to enter the coding world or improve their skills. Not only is the curriculum well planned, but their job assistance that comes with the bootcamp is wonderful.

• Michael Dotson  User Photo
    Michael Dotson • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Let's see... to start I was a bit skeptical as I'm sure you will be also starting something new. I knew what it was I wanted to do (learn to develop my own websites so I could stop paying thousands of dollars for a finished project nothing as I wanted) but wasn't sure which would be the best avenue to pursue. I thought about attending a JC and obtaining a CS degree but quickly found out how much I can't stand an instructor who is as dry (no pun intended) as boiled sand and speaks like Bill Stein.
     I needed something that was in line with my character and learning style. I checked out a few bootcamps, which all claimed to be the best (marketing tool), yet the only beacon in the dark was Actualize. The emphasized teaching over learning to code and how their instructors were educators of some form or another so I gave it a shot. The pre-work was pretty easy as I had just completed a pre-bootcamp course prior. Also, it gave me a chance to compare the teaching styles of the two different bootcamps. Actualize immediately stood out as the place I wanted to be. Although my cohort mates were from all walks of life and backgrounds, we seemed to mesh almost instantly like a family. It could have been the common desire of wanting to learn code, but whatever it was, it made life so much easier. My experience learning with another bootcamp also yielded high learning in a short amount of time, but the stress factor was through the roof. Knowing if I failed a few tests I'd be kicked out of the bootcamp is something I did not want looming over my head while trying to learn something completely new.
    All in all, my experience with Actualize is one I will always remember and can look back on in a few years and say that's where I got my start at and that's the reason this great site I built exists today.

• Rachel F  User Photo
    Rachel F • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I can't stress enough how much one-on-one access you have with your instructor and ta's. It is a bootcamp and things come at you hard and fast. You'll get some things, not get others, and that one-on-one time will be invaluable. This will be the basis from where you'll begin your journey to learn other languages and decide where to focus as you move forward. You'll get out as much as you put in, and you'll be amazed at what you can build.

Start practicing your algorithms now..you'll thank me!

Good luck!

• Sarah Hoopes  User Photo
    Sarah Hoopes • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Really amazing course that covers everything you'll need to know to form a foundation for software engineering. Almost all of the prework and the first half of the course is spent doing backend work, which I think is the best way to learn coding and train yourself how to solve problems like a programmer. The course covers multiple languages and frameworks, but it doesn't overload you by trying to have you learn too many at once. The instructor and the TAs are extremely knowledgeable as well as flexible with their time. Definitely recommend - it's worth the cost!

• Dylan Cross  User Photo
    Dylan Cross • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My expectations were high and Actualize still managed to exceed them by a long shot.

When I was originally doing research to find a bootcamp that met my needs, Actualize stood out compared to other cohorts such as Fullstack. The only thing that was kind of spooky to me was how unanimously positive almost all of the reviews for Actualize were. An average of 4.1 out of 5 almost always feels more genuine than a 5 out of 5. Actualize is a massive exception to that rule. I'm not sure what it's average rating is, but it must be close to a perfect 5/5. Until I went through this, I really didn't believe it could be THAT good.
    What can I say that hasn't been said in any of the previous reviews? I was part of the first full-time cohort (as opposed to the part-time night cohorts that were previously the only option) and as a result, got to pour my entire life into it. 5 weeks of remote prework followed by 12 weeks of intense, non-stop learning and application. I won't sugar coat it, it's hard as hell, if you don't cry at least once, you're either already way too advanced to be considering the program or you're not paying attention. In spite of how difficult it can be, there is so much support here from all the staff. There's a palpable sense of emotional intelligence that takes into consideration the stress one goes through when learning as much as you do in such a short amount of time while unemployed and living off of savings for 4 months. It's scary, but so incredibly gratifying by the time you make it through. Out of the 14 members of my cohort, every single one of us finished even when almost all of us, at one point or another, felt like quitting from the pressure. If there is another bootcamp out there that does what Actualize does, I've yet to hear about it.
    I hope my review helps to sway anyone on the fence or currently in the process of doing research towards a bootcamp experience.