actualize-logo

Actualize

Chicago, New York City, Online, San Francisco

Actualize

Actualize is a 12-week software development bootcamp in Chicago and online throughout the US, offering both part-time and full-time options. Instructors with professional educational experience teach students full stack web development including Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, VueJS, SQL, and Git. Both the in-person and online programs use the same immersive, instruction-driven curriculum, with the Online Live classes conducted in real time with video conferencing. Actualize has a deeply integrated “Job Hacking” curriculum focused on the personal branding and networking skills necessary to land a new job, which Actualize feels is just as important as learning to code.

After the 12-week program, students have the option to join its unique Career Support program, which has contains additional training for Job Hacking, a job accountability group, and team projects to add to one’s portfolio.

To apply, students can submit an application via the website, then go through a series of two interviews with an admissions advisor. There are no coding challenges, but students must complete 4 weeks of prework before the program starts.

The daytime course takes place Mondays through Fridays, while the part-time course takes place on Sundays and weeknights, designed to allow the working person to attend a coding bootcamp while still working a daytime job.

Recent Actualize Reviews: Rating 4.88

all (234) reviews for Actualize →

Recent Actualize News

Read all (13) articles about Actualize →
  • Web Development

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, Rails, CSS, Ruby, SQL
    LocationChicago, Online
    Tuition PlansAsk for details about payment plans.
    Prep WorkSome introductory work given several weeks in advance of the start of the program.

• $500 Actualize Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Actualize scholarship for $500 off tuition!

No eligibility restrictions.

• Web Development (Online)

• Christine R.  User Photo
    Christine R. • Actor • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Actualize was recommended to me by a group of Software developers I befriended on my search for the perfect boot camp. I am not disappointed at all and it doesn't hurt that they offer scholarships. The experience was mind blowing and a little scary, but I came out the other end equipped with the skills to help me move forward in my new journey. I am very grateful to Dani Z. (lead instructor), My two TA's, Tori and Benji, My Job career coach (Lisa) who worked tirelessly to help me succeed. I'm also grateful to Jay Wengrow for Founding such a wonderful program and giving back to the community and all future developers out there.
  • Mike  User Photo
    Mike • Junior web developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I recently finished the Actualize online web development course. I looked long and hard at all the schools. Interviewed at several different programs as well. In the end I choose actualize because I felt the live online classes with an instructor, teaching assistants and other students gave me the best of both worlds. This turned out to be exactly the case! A bonus was all of the content is recorded and documented so you can use it as reference right after a lesson or after the program is over. I felt that the program was well thought out in terms of timing spent on all necessary aspects of learning development concepts, softwares, frameworks and even the basics on command line interaction. All of the content felt on point. There were some technologies I would have liked to have gone over but the rate at which technology moves I understand you can't touch on everything. This is a great course for someone with no previous knowledge in IT or development. I only put 4 stars on the job assistance just because I am starting to get into that aspect of the job search right now. Actualize does start grooming students for how to get prepared for the job market as soon as you start the program. It was good to have a gradual introduction to job assistance right away and throughout the program. I highly recommend this course! Another big take away is they teach you how to learn new concepts and software in the development field.
  • Stand Out
    Dr. Lillian Ostojich   User Photo
    Dr. Lillian Ostojich • MD, RE Investor • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

As a business professional (by trade I am MD, plastic surgeon, with extensive experience and involvement in RE investment industry as well) I do not make any decision lightly, without proper and diligent research on the subject.

When I decided it was time for me to get “literate” by the 21st century standards (meaning - it was time for me to learn to code), my first step was to indulge into deep, extensive search and research of all options.

Decision was placed on Actualize boot camp.  At that point I suspected they were probably good, but little did I know, that Actualize was the best. By far. And by all measures:

• Extremely well-planned curriculum;
    • Founder, Jay Wengrow, not only expert in his filed, book author, educator, but also respected and thoughtful leader of his team;
    • Peter Jang, my instructor, outstanding engineer, with exceptional ability to convey knowledge no matter what level of coding student might be at, super fun too;
    • Lisa Tucker, patient and supportive guide for graduates on their path to get recognized by hiring companies as a signal, not a noise;
    • TAs, Jennifer, Bret and Mark: knowledgeable and well mannered;
    • Campus facilities modern, spacious, inviting, located at hip and convenient River North area of downtown Chicago.

But there was one element where they impressed me, and where no competition will be able to come not even close, and that was a care for their alumni. So much sincere efforts, support and assistance for every graduate during their positioning to get a career and job of their dreams I haven't seen yet in my (long professional) career. And this human element is the final and the most critical reason why I think it will be almost impossible to beat them at the throne of being the best.

• Dan  User Photo
    Dan • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

At first, I fell into the trap of, "I can do this by myself" - after all, I had taught myself HTML and CSS. However, when one decides on persuing programming as a vocation, it is important to due the proper due diligence and invest in the proper process in order to ensure success. Enter Actualize. During my time as an Actualize student, I have been able to go beyond my comfort zone in regard to my programming and "soft" (interpersonal) skills related to the job search process, allowing me to master new skills and confidently move forward with my goal of attain a job as a Software Developer. If you are feeling stuck in regard to mastering your programming skills, head to Actualize - you will be amazed at what you are abile to accomplish!

• full stack
    Shloimi Minkowicz  User Photo
    Shloimi Minkowicz • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I chose Actualize because they focus one stack well, and they focus on the fundamentals, and teach us to learn other languages.
    Peter the instructor really focusses on the students and really cares about them, and he makes sure that they are successful in what they do !!!

• Actualize Review
    Matt Nelsen  User Photo
    Matt Nelsen • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Starting even from before the pre-work I never felt like I was alone. From the moment you are enrolled at Actualize to the moment you graduate and beyond you have that sense that you are part of a family. I was in Peter's class during the night class and I never felt like I was being neglected or ignored when I was struggling or had a question. With being new to software engineering I learned more than I could ever imagine in the 12 weeks of being enrolled and know that I will feel the same way post-graduation and I continue my job search. The staff at Actualize is absolutely fantastic all the way from the teachers assistant all the way to the CEO who is very hands on and always willing to help out each and every student no matter the time of day. I recommend Actualize to everyone I talk to if they are between choosing bootcamps because they truly make you part of the Actualize family.

• Great instruction
    Megan  User Photo
    Megan • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I participated in the evening/weekend bootcamp taught by Peter. He's an excellent instructor, extremely committed, very supportive, very helpful. I learned so much over the course of 12 weeks, and the job hacking / support is thorough, helpful, and continues well beyond the time of the bootcamp. I'm so glad I decided to make this career transition with Actualize.

• Aria Nikzad  User Photo
    Aria Nikzad • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I chose Actualize because it was one of the few online courses that fit with my schedule. I did my research by reaching out to former students and combed through reviews. After much hesitation, I signed up. My biggest fear was attending a course too fast paced and end up falling behind. This course was perfectly paced. The introduction to new material, the lectures, the practice, and the questions were all very nicely layered. There were times that I felt overwhelmed, but times like that were anticipated. The instructor is very supportive of any questions, even at odd hours of the day outside of the class. Resource materials and consolidated cheat sheets are in abundance. Having a responsive instructor and access to many resources reinforced my confidence in the course when I felt overwhelmed. I would highly recommend this course to anyone shopping around for a bootcamp. Upon leaving this course, I feel very confident in my programming abilities and am eager to start looking for job opportunities.

• Great Program!
    Joyce  User Photo
    Joyce Verified via GitHub

I recently completed the Software Engineering bootcamp through Actualize and feel comfortable making a strong recommendation to others regarding this program. While I do not have any other software bootcamp experiences to serve as a comparison to my cohort through Actualize, nonetheless, I am comfortable stating, based on my progress and prospects (starting as an absolute beginner)  the course and program are well run and outstanding overall.

I attended the online program which utilizes live classroom meetings (utilizing video) giving me the benefit of attending a class from my home. In addition, there are significant off class support structures in place, including the availability of the lead instructor as well as teaching assistants and a robust career counseling segment that creates a well rounded matrix of opportunities.

• Alice  User Photo
    Alice • Graduate Verified via GitHub

There are a lot of bootcamps out there, so it was hard to decide on one, but I did narrow it down eventually to Actualize and two others. I decided to go with Actualize because the classes are live, either in Chicago, or the one I attended which was done via live video online. The learning is fast-paced and they teach a lot in 12 weeks (plus 4 weeks prework), and by the end, I had built mulitple apps, all from the ground up. The instructor and TAs really care about students and do everything they can to help students grow and succeed. The job assistance is fantastic as well, ranging from technical interview prep, to resume-building, networking and how to search for jobs. They have a dedicated career counselor who meets with us on a regular basis and provides us job assistance as needed. I would recommend this bootcamp to anyone who wants to learn a new skill and possibly open the door to a new job field. I would also add that anyone can succeed in this program, so long as they are willing to put in the work.

• Joseph Lim  User Photo
    Joseph Lim • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

This was a wonderful course and I highly recommend it for anyone looking to kickstart their programming careers.

I chose the daytime class because I knew if I wanted to become a developer, I would need to be fully committed and it would be to my benefit to have as much time as possible devoted to learning. If you have the opportunity, I can definitely recommend this timeslot.

My lead instructor, Josh, is phenomenal and can answer most any question, or at least will problem-solve with you if it is not immediately clear to him. He is a natural teacher, so try to absorb as much of his knowledge as possible in this time.

Good luck!

• Online bootcamp
    Eddie Lee  User Photo
    Eddie Lee • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

The online bootcamp was everything I wanted in a course that would provide me with the tools I need to start a new career in web development. My instructor Dani is always high energy, enthusiastic, and ready to teach us new concepts and coding skills every day, which made learning how to code more enjoyable. She truly is a great instructor and it would be a blessing for anyone to have her as a teacher. There is a lot of material to learn but completely manageable and the pacing is great. I have no complaints and the course was perfect and it was everything I could have asked for and more.

• Graduate
    Brittani  User Photo
    Brittani • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

My experience at Actualize exceeded my expectations. When I began the boot camp I had very limited coding knowledge and upon exiting I feel extremely confident and well equipped with my skills. I chose Actualize over other boot camps because of the curriculum and support system that is available, which did not disappoint. I would recommend Actualize to anyone that is considering making the transition into the coding world!

• Actualize Chicago
    Myalisa  User Photo
    Myalisa • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I could not be more thankful for the experience I've had at Actualize. The support and encouragement from all of the instructors, the hands-on tutoring and instruction, and the valuable job search training are all reasons why I'm thankful that I chose Actualize above other boot camps.

I would recommend this boot camp to anyone who is even considering learning to code. Although the course material is challenging, I never felt like I didn't have enough resources to get through tough projects or concepts. This boot camp gives you such a great conceptual understanding of programming that by the end of it, you will feel confident to take on any programming language.

Truly grateful to everyone at Actualize for my experience, and I'm happy to be a part of such a warm and encouraging community.

• Angel Walker  User Photo
    Angel Walker • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

My experience with the online bootcamp has been amazing. There were 10 people in my class and we all got along really well. The instructor, Dani, is a badass. She knows the material backwards and forwards. Every instructional section of the class is recorded and uploaded so we can review as often as we like. I always felt comfortable asking questions. The use of breakout rooms made one-on-one time with Dani or one of the TAs easy to arrange. I never felt like I was missing out on instructional time because the course was taught online.

Classes start on time, and there are generous breaks so the class time is manageable. The course can seem overwhelming at times, but the pace of instruction is well thoughout. The final capstone project brings everything together at the end. I almost wish the course was one week longer to give us more time to fine tune and adjust our project prior to the final presentation. Even though I only know the other students via Zoom, I feel like we got to know each other well and will definitely keep in touch with each other long after the course ends.

• Tehilla  User Photo
    Tehilla • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I have had a really incredible experience at Actualize. I started the bootcamp with no background or experience on coding or web development. The amount that I have learned in the past 4 months amazes me. One thing that makes Actualize stand out is how the curriculum breaks down complex coding concepts into lessons that are easy to understand. My instructor, Peter, is a natural and patient teacher and made class a positive and enjoyable experience. I would definitely recommend Actualize to anyone looking to attend a bootcamp.

• Awesome
    Sim Sitzer  User Photo
    Sim Sitzer • University Student • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I did the Online Live Bootcamp and it was great, I can now confidentally say that I know how to code and more importantly how to learn how to code. Actualize focuses on teaching you how to learn, because no one ever will be a coding master in all areas, it's just too vast. Online sounds kind of anti-social but it really was Online Live. Actualize uses Zoom and it really works very smooth. My one bad part is the price, it costed me $12,900 total which is pretty hefty for only 3 months + 1 month of non-live pre-work. But Actualize is about the same price as most bootcamps, some are even more expensive, so it's all good.

I reccomend! If you work hard with the Job Hacking you can defineltely land a job but it's not for sure. I didn't look for a job after, I'm in College.

• Travis Knight  User Photo
    Travis Knight • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I first heard of Actualize through a random comment on a Chicago subreddit. I reached out to the user and asked about their experience. It sounded right up my alley so I sat in on a class. I was immediately drawn to Peter's teaching style. I also spent a lot of time talking to the TA, Jennifer, about her own experience. She was also wildly helpful in my decision making process.

Fast forward eight months and I just presented my final capstone project. It is an amazing feeling of accomplishment. Would highly recommend.

• Bart Stachurski  User Photo
    Bart Stachurski • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

TL/DR: 10/10 would recommend.

Actualize has been an amazing experience. Over the past few months I have learned so much about coding but more importantly I am coming away from this program with a belief that I can figure out just about anything in terms of coding.

Actualize focuses on teaching you how to teach yourself how to code so that you feel comfortable about tackling any problem. It's not about memorizing syntax or best practices.

I specifically took this course because of the remote video-conference structure. Since I was working full-time, I needed to take a course in the evenings. I was deciding between a course at a nearby college and Actualize but ultimatley went with Actualize because I realized there were a lot of extra logistics required with attending at a physical location, such as: parking at the school, dinner, coming back home after class would be even more difficult to find parking by my house....etc. Actualize gave me a near-as-makes-no-difference in-person experience without the hassles of being there in person.

The teacher, TA, and job-hacking instructor were all stellar. Concepts are explained at a challengning, but attainable, pace and everyone is generally available to you outside of class time as needed.

I have never learned so much in four months, and I definitely didn't expect to have as much fun as I did doing it. One of the best surprises from this was that I feel so close with all of my classmates. I was worried that the remote nature of the course might lead to people not being as engaged in class but it couldnt be further from the truth.

• Awesome
    Adam  User Photo
    Adam • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I chose Actualize because when I talked to the staff and admissions, I got the feeling that they were interested in teaching me, not just enrolling me. I appreciated that the focus of the 12 weeks was not just on teaching us valuable skills, but also on teaching us how to continue developing our skills once the bootcamp was over.

• Actualize review
    Mike  User Photo
    Mike • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The learning and classroom experience in the online cohort of Actualize was far more personal and welcoming than one would think when considering joining an online class. The instructors have a real passion for their work but it's their passion for wanting to teach others that really makes the miles between each student shrink. They are very understanding and want to help you with every problem that you have as stupid as it may seem to you, because they understand that you're learning and that you have tons of information being thrown at you. The growth mindset that Brian and Lisa taught us made moving forward and learning new concepts easier every day and that makes me very confident transitioning into my future as a web developer.

• Shane Psoinos  User Photo
    Shane Psoinos • Student Verified via GitHub

After just two short weeks of online class, I was completely floored with the amount of information I learned in such a short time. The instructor has great teaching skills and is very patient with the cohort, answering all of our questions and more often than not pointing us in the right direction to figure out our own problems ourselves, creating an actual learning moment for us. I loved the course and am very grateful to have been a part of this experience. 5/5

• Actualize Review
    - 5/15/2019
    Susmita  User Photo
    Susmita • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I am amazed by all the information we have learned in just four months! Coming into Actualize I had very little experience with coding and web development, however, by the end of the course, I was able to create a complete web application by myself with both a working front-end and a back-end. I took the part-time online course while working a full-time job and while the course was challenging at times it was still both manageable and enjoyable. Actualize provided me with a very strong foundation to continue learning upon. Whenever I had questions the instructors were readily available. There is also a great job hacking program in place for graduates which not only helps grads with finding jobs but also helps in making sure we continue coding and learning through graduate initiative projects. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone interested in starting a career in web development.

• Videsh Patel  User Photo
    Videsh Patel • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

This is probably one of the best bootcamps out there. They provide you everything you need to succeed and also has as strong job placement program.

It is amazing how much you will learn in 12 weeks. I can say that this has build a great foundation for me to pursue my career.

• Joey Harbert  User Photo
    Joey Harbert • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I heard about Actualize through google and sites like this one. Really wonderful experience! Great pace, really responsive staff, always ready to help you through any questions you have. At the end, you'll have a project you have built that you can add to your portfolio, as well as skills to start the inevitable job hunt. The main course focus is on programming fundamentals using Ruby, back-end API development using Ruby on Rails, front end with Vue.js as well as some quick detours here and there. Not sure what any of that means? No problem! Through the course pre-work and first couple weeks of the camp, Actualize will get you up to speed. You'll leave with skills to help you feel confident as you enter the workforce. They teach you the building blocks of coding, as well as how to apply those building blocks to new languages, which is invaluable. I would recommend Actualize to coding newbies and intermediate coders. I will say, if you're advanced (in web-development) and looking to brush up or learn a new language in a structured environment, you will certainly be able to do that here, it will just be at a pace that is slower than what you'd probably want.