ucr-extension-boot-camps-logo

UCR Extension Boot Camps

Riverside

UCR Extension Boot Camps

UCR Extension Boot Camps offer 24-week, part-time web development and cybersecurity courses in Riverside, California. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Express.js, React.js, Database Theory, MongoDB, Git, Java, and Command Line. The cybersecurity curriculum provides hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the programs are part-time, UCR Extension Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skill set.

Throughout the 24-week boot camps, students have access to career-planning services including resume and portfolio reviews, technical interview training, virtual tech panels, 1:1 coaching, and more. Those who complete the program will receive a Certificate of Completion from UCR Extension Professional Studies and will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development or learn skills applicable to certifications in our cybersecurity program.

UCR Extension Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent UCR Extension Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.86

all (29) reviews for UCR Extension Boot Camps →

Recent UCR Extension Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationRiverside
    At the Cybersecurity Boot Camp, students get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture. The Cybersecurity Bootcamp is a challenging, part-time program that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security, throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks.
    Tuition PlansPayment plans available
    Prep WorkPre-work
  • Full-Stack Flex - Part-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationRiverside
    The Coding Boot Camp at UC Riverside Extension is a 24-week, part-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
    Tuition PlansPayment plans available
    Prep WorkPre-work
  • Coding Bootcamp
    - 10/19/2019
    Michelle Trujillo  User Photo
    Michelle Trujillo • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I had a great experience with this Coding Bootcamp and am really glad I enrolled. Like everyone already said, it's an intense 6 months and I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel completely burned out at times trying to juggle this course, a kid, and a full time job. But the experience and effort are completely worth it. I learned so much, and while there is still a lot to learn, I feel I have the tools and skills necessary to move forward and learn not only the languages and technologies learned in class, but others as well.

The instructor and TAs were amazing. They were always willing to help even outside of class and were so patient and helpful on top being being obviously very knowledgeable and experienced. The career services and admin staff are also very helpful. They are not there to make sure you secure a job, but they give you so many resources and guidance to prepare you for the job market.

I was definitely worried enrolling after reading some of the worst reviews about bootcamps in general, but my experience here was completely on the other end of that spectrum and I'm glad I took the leap. Trying to learn all of tis on my own as was my original plan would have taken infinitely more time. I also met some great people and made some great connections so I'm ver grateful for that added benefit as well!

Monday, Oct 21 2019
    Amazing, Michelle! We're happy to hear you had a positive student experience and feel confident learning new technologies and languages moving forward. Like you mentioned, this course does require extensive time both inside and outside of the classroom, so we commend all the hard work you dedicated while balancing a full-time schedule. Our entire boot camp team is passionate about enabling student success, so we're glad you benefited from their ongoing support. Congratulations on graduating, we truly appreciate your review! We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
  • Andy Mendez  User Photo
    Andy Mendez • Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

This Bootcamp was great. As many of the other reviews say on here. This is very hard work. You need to make time outside of class in order to be sucessful in this class. But if you can, You'll be a web developer in no time. The structor they have is very helpful in pushing you to keep moving forward. The TA's they picked were amazing and very helpful. The Student Sucess Manager is amazing and actually helps you. If you have any problems he will sit down with you and talk it out. I would recommend this place to anyone that really wants to become a web developer.

Tuesday, Oct 15 2019
    Amazing, Andy! We're thrilled you benefited from the support of our entire boot camp team throughout your web development journey. Like you mentioned, in order to succeed students will have to dedicate extensive time both inside and outside of the classroom, so we commend all your hard work. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! All the best in your future endeavors.
  • Review
    - 7/24/2019
    Julian K Hicks   User Photo
    Julian K Hicks • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    The Bootcamp is an enlightening experience, there will be tough days. In the beginning the course will be overwhelmingly, hard and frustrating, but stick with it you will learn alot. Get help from fellow classmates, stay after class for advice get a tutor whatever it takes to help you be employer competitive
    Sunday, Jul 28 2019
    We appreciate your review, Julian! Great advice for future students—getting help from classmates and taking advantage of the available tutoring will help you succeed. Congratulations on successfully completing the course! Best of luck moving forward.
  • Wonderful!
    - 7/24/2019
    Devanshi Mathur  User Photo
    Devanshi Mathur • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

It was a wonderful course! I really appreciate the way that they introduce lessons, the homework assignments are all really helpful, and the projects that we do in this course really prep you for job interviews when they ask you to show what you have worked on. The TAs are the true stars of the show! I have even found the career services really wonderful. It is a lot of hard work, you will be learning many things on your own. However, it is a great way to shift fields (like I am doing) and learn a great breadth of skills.

Sunday, Jul 28 2019
    Thanks so much, Devanshi! We're happy to hear you enjoyed the program and benefited from the support of our entire boot camp team. Like you said, this course will require hard work, so we commend all your dedication. Congratulations on graduating and all the best in your future endeavors!
  • Nathan Serrano  User Photo
    Nathan Serrano • Full-Stack Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I had already heard about coding bootcamps from a friend and because I had wanted to make a career change, I decided to start researching on my own. After finding out more, I decided that it was something that I could really benefit from and also sounded like a good way to gain valuable skills in order to make a switch into something as exciting as the tech field. I eventually decided to enroll within the coding bootcamp offered at UCR Extension.

Although it was part-time, it was still a challenging experience that felt fast-paced for someone like me who had basically zero coding experience. So I did have to spend a lot more time outside of class in order to really understand the concepts/material. However the instructor and teaching assistants were clearly knowledgeable and provided great resources, tools and tips for learning to code, as well as their own insights about a career in coding which I had found invaluable.

The bootcamp also provides a career service which I thought was especially notable, because even though it is not required to use this service in order to graduate from the bootcamp, they offer some really great help. I was provided a profile coach who offered awesome help for my resume, portfolio, and linkedin profile. I was also assigned a career director who has provided insightful tips for job searching, interviewing, and even 1-on-1 coaching sessions. So I really recommend that this resource be taken advantage of!

Overall a solid experience that I can recommend to anyone trying to begin a career in coding. There are some really great help and tools that they provide in order to help you on your journey, BUT do expect to work hard and do some heavy lifting on your part because it is not easy!

Monday, Jun 17 2019
    Way to go, Nathan! We're thrilled you chose our program to make a significant career change. It's great to hear you benefited from the support of our instructional team and found their assistance to be invaluable. Great advice for prospective students—taking advantage of career services will prove to be helpful in the job search. Congratulations on successfully completing the boot camp and thank you for your review! We wish you continued success as you move forward.
  • Rebecca Hom  User Photo
    Rebecca Hom • Full-Stack Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Even though I had prior experience with coding, it was difficult for me to move forward in a career in web development with my skill set. I signed up for the Coding Boot Camp to improve on my existing skills in addition to learning new ones.

The Coding Boot Camp at the UCR Extension was challenging at times due to the fast-paced nature of the course as well as the breadth of topics covered in the class. Although the class is 10 hours per week, I spent more than that amount of time working on the homework assignments, re-doing activities, and reading about the topic. However, the best aspect of the Coding Boot Camp was the group projects: it fostered a better bond between my teammates and myself as well as pushed us out of our comfort level to complete the project competently and on-time.

I believe that my experience at the Coding Boot Camp would not have gone as well as it did without the instructors and TAs. Joe Tanksley, the instructor for the cohort I was in, was very knowledgable about the topics he taught and communicated them effectively. The TAs, Hans and Sean, were very helpful and graded the assignments in a timely manner with useful feedback.

In addition to the course curriculum, there were optional Career Services assignments. I found these useful in getting a better understanding for writing a brand statement and resume, creating a portfolio website, and preparing for interviews. Along with meeting with the career director, I feel better prepared for finding a job in the tech industry.

Overall, the Coding Boot Camp was a great experience that I highly recommend to learn about programming in web development, developing relationships with your cohorts, and building fantastic websites.

Tuesday, Jun 11 2019
    Amazing, Rebecca! We're thrilled you were able to further develop your existing web development skills and enjoyed the group projects. Our mission is to enable student success, so we're glad to hear you benefited from the support of our entire team—we also think Joe, Hans, and Sean are fantastic. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! Best of luck in all your future endeavors.
  • Full Stack
    - 5/30/2019
    Rhea Q  User Photo
    Rhea Q • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I first heard about a Coding Bootcamp from my cousin who also took a similar bootcamp, but in Seattle, and hers was a year program compared to the 24 week course I took.  I had no clue what coding was until she told me about what she did, and it peaked my interest. I started looking for schools local to me and found the one at the UCR extension.  The course is no joke, it was an instense 24 weeks, in which I spent not only 10 hours in class, but also 40-50 hours of studying.  Studying as in watching videos, redoing activities and a lot of reading.  In the end, it was worth learning the world of coding.  Along with the homework, we weren't required to use career services, but they did help with writing resumes, brand statements, and interviewing.  They do NOT help you find a job, but they do help you become employer competitive.  I enjoyed the instructor and TAs that I had.  They were very highly qualified and  knowledgeble in both front end and back end web developement.  Overall, I had a good experience learning about coding.

Friday, May 31 2019
    Thank you for your review, Rhea! We're happy you enjoyed the program and committed extensive time to master the course material. Our team is passionate about helping students succeed, so it's great to hear you found our instructors and TAs to be knowledgable. Congratulations on successfully completing the boot camp! All the best as you move forward.
  • Avery Bradley  User Photo
    Avery Bradley • Systems Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The Coding bootcamp at UCR extension is an excellent course to take for entering the tech industry. It is an intensive course with excellent instructors and TAs. Like any other course, it requires a great deal of studying outside of class. Class is three times a week, twice in the evening and once on Saturday in the mid-morning. It is designed to be taken in addition to working full-time, though I would not recommend balancing full-time employment with this class, since it requires a lot of work. Expect to spend twenty hours a week outside of class studying and working on technically challenging homework and projects. I found it to be an excellent supplement to my bachelor's degree. I would not recommend taking this class as a replacement of a bachelor's degree, though it is certainly possible to get into the tech industry solely with this certificate. Most software development jobs require a bachelor's in addition to the skills learned in this course, but there are certainly opportunities for those without a degree. One of the greatest aspects of this course is the three group projects throughout the entirety of the course. Make sure to put in a lot of effort when working on these projects, as this is what employers will be judging you on. After working hard with your group for three projects, you bond strongly and grow very fond of each other. Also, it is important that a prospective student knows that the job assistance aspect of this course is entirely online. This discouraged a lot of students from scheduling appointments with the career director but don't miss the chance to have someone assist you in your job search after the program. The career director that I worked with did an excellent job at helping me with things from resume and cover letter refinement to interview follow up emails and many other small yet crucial parts. She was also genuinely interested in my job search and she helped make the entire process run more smoothly. Overall, I highly recommend taking this course if you are genuinely interested in web development and programming.
    Thursday, May 23 2019
    Way to go, Avery! We're thrilled you enjoyed the boot camp and benefited from the group projects. Like you mentioned, this course does require a significant amount of time to studying and mastering the material outside of the classroom, so we commend all your hard work. Congratulations on successfully graduating and thank you for your review! Best of luck as you move forward.
  • Charles Duncan  User Photo
    Charles Duncan • Front-End Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Before going into this course I had no knowledge of code. This course along with the instructor, Joe Tanksley, and both TA's Sean Roshan & Hans Tang took me from being a zero to hero. It did not come over night and did take a lot of hours studying, but most of all not giving up.

By the end of the course I gained the skills needed to land a job building websites. The career support team is super helpful, there to assist you on your way by creating an employer competitve resume, building a portfolio, as well as job placement.

Overall, this bootcamp was a great experience both for building relationships with your cohorts and being able to create phenomenal sites.

Monday, Apr 15 2019
    We appreciate your review, Charles! It's great to hear you were able to successfully learn the fundamentals of full-stack web development and land an exciting new role. Our entire boot camp team is truly passionate about helping students succeed, so we're glad this resonated with you. Congratulations on graduating, we're cheering you on as you begin this next phase of your career!
  • Nolen Diggs  User Photo
    Nolen Diggs • Independent Consultant • Student Verified via LinkedIn

The Boot Camp at UCR is very well done. This program offers current technology, and ensures that students are prepaired for jobs. The instructor was a well seasoned professional. He was able to share important insights about careers as Front and Backend Web Developers. His name was Joe Tanksley. The TEA's, which supported our class, were well versed in front and backend web design. They provided great support during excercises. They were Sean and Hans.

This course is not easy. It takes a greatdeal of work and preperation, but it is well worth it. This program also offers a very good career placement service. This propgram does a good job of helping attendees with resume and brand devlopement. Overall, this is a great program and well worth the investment.

Monday, Apr 15 2019
    Thank you for sharing your boot camp experience, Nolen! We're thrilled you felt supported by our entire instructional team and have to agree that Joe, Sean, and Hans are pretty great. Great advice for prospective students—this course requires a great deal of work and preparation but is well worth it. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the best moving forward!

• Jeffrey Hanapin • Graduate
    The choice in going to a coding bootcamp was the best choice I could make in order to better my future. I was first scared to take this path mainly because this is my first time working with code; but with the support of the staff AND your classmates the road doesn't seem that scary. If you ever feel like you're struggling you always have access to tutoring, which I found it really helpful. My personal opinion, but I feel that it's worth taking the course if you either want a new path to a better career or to just better your skills. The opportunity is there.
  • Bill Carter • Graduate
    I would strongly recommend the cybersecurity bootcamp to anyone. The bootcamp greatly improved my current skills and introduced me to applications, skills, and terminology I was never aware of (but needed). After completing the curriculum not only was I more apt, but it helped bring my understanding and expectations within the cybersecurity industry much closer to reality. It helped me decide what job role I would focus on in cybersecurity and the instructor provided a lot of much-needed direction. The cybersecurity bootcamp will help you take your first crucial steps with getting into the industry. However, like anything, be prepared to work hard to truly make it count.