ucr-extension-boot-camps-logo

UCR Extension Boot Camps

Riverside

UCR Extension Boot Camps

UCR Extension Boot Camps offer 24-week, part-time web development and cybersecurity courses. The full stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, Node.js, databases, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git. The cybersecurity curriculum offers hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. As the programs are part-time, UCR Extension Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skill set.

Throughout the 24-week boot camps, students have access to career-planning services, resume and portfolio reviews, technical interview training, virtual tech panels, 1:1 coaching, and more. Those who complete the program will receive a Certificate of Completion from UCR Extension Professional Studies and will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development or learn skills applicable to certifications in our cybersecurity program.

UCR Extension Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent UCR Extension Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.77

all (39) reviews for UCR Extension Boot Camps →

Recent UCR Extension Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationRiverside
    The Cybersecurity Boot Camp at UCR Extension is a challenging, part-time boot camp that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security. Throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks, you will get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture.
    Tuition PlansPayment plans available
    Prep WorkPre-work
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

jQuery, MongoDB, MySQL, React.js, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationRiverside
    The Coding Boot Camp at UCR Extension is a 24-week, part-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.
    Tuition PlansPayment plans available
    Prep WorkPre-work
  • Course Review
    - 10/22/2021
    Joey Iparaguirre  User Photo
    Joey Iparaguirre • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I was looking for a change in careers and I wanted to get back into computers. I talked with an old boss of mine that's in the IT field and he recommended this class to me. After looking it up I decided to give it a go. I had no experience with cybersecurity and I had little knowledge with computers. I took the gamble and enrolled in this class. It has been the best decision I've ever made. This course will challenge you and it will push you more than you've ever been pushed. The teachers and TA care for their students and put in the effort to help each and every student. Our instructor and TA's were amazing and I couldn't have asked for a better instructor or TA. I highly recommend this class if you're trying to change your career or further your knowledge in cybersecurity. You have to put in the hours outside of class and you must have free time to do so. You can't just walk into this class and do the bare minimum, it'll eat you alive if you do this. You get what you put into it, I suggest at least 20 hours a week outside of class. This class is really rewarding and worth every penny. I'm just beginning my journey into this field and I couldn't be more excited to see where it's going to take me.
  • Spencer La Placa  User Photo
    Spencer La Placa • Cyber Security Professional • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    • How I decided to pursue this career path and what led me to apply to the Boot Camp
       I have been using the Hack The Box platform for two years and wanted to change careers to Cybersecurity after seeing what skills it took to be a hacker. Using code, port scanning techniques, exploits, and payloads, I have found something I love to do but did not have the skill set or education to get a job in cyber security.
         So I started researching schools in Cybersecurity. I had many conversations and took approximately ten months' worth of investigative research to determine that the University of California Riverside's class was suitable for gaining the skills I needed to land a job.
         I like the idea that the class was more hands-on and very diversified. Also, one of the significant factors that made me decide to attend the boot camp was what the Career Services department had to offer.
         It was not just about learning the skill, but getting your resume and online media to be at the level of Employer Competitive. The Employer Competitive vernacular intrigued me and made the program more valuable than the others.
         So I joined the class in April 2021 and graduated with a certificate in a Cybersecurity Boot Camp in October 2021.
    • Your experience with the boot camp and your favorite aspect of the program
           My favorite aspect of the class was transparency through the didactic alchemy of domains the professor and the two teaching assistants conveyed in class. The activities we performed in our assignments also made the class fun, like playing capture the flag activities and applying what we learned towards the three main projects.
         Attending over 100 career services events through the boot camp has also helped me polish my online presence, brand statement, and resume while confidently interviewing. This part of the boot was an exceptional piece to help people mold themselves to the roles they were so deserving after obtaining their new skills.
         The information the students had to learn was described metaphorically as drinking water through a fire hose. The information came fiercely and in complex notations.
          Help was always there for those struggling with these new concepts, and if the students were not able to understand the day's lesson, the recorded lessons were available for further review and understanding.
    • Any advice you would give to other prospective students.
         The advice I would give the other students is that you get what you put into this program. It is a commitment, and if you are not willing or the timing is not correct, do not force trying to take this class.
         I would also refrain from taking the class if you do not have more than 20 hours of outside class time to spend on the comprehension and completing of the assignments.
         The class alone is worth the investment, but the Career Services professionalism and getting Employer Competitive puts the program over the top compared to other programs. If definitely recommend The University of California Riverside to gain the knowledge or refine the skills you need to become a Cyber Security professional.

Friday, Oct 15 2021
     Amazing, Spencer! It's great to hear you benefited from the hands-on curriculum and enjoyed utilizing the available career services resources. Our entire team is truly passionate about enabling student success, so we're glad this resonated with you. Great job on taking advantage of recorded lessons to further review your understanding of the course material. We couldn't agree more that you get out what you put into the boot camp, so we commend all your hard work and dedication. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! Best of luck in all that you do.
  • Brandon Bowen  User Photo
    Brandon Bowen • Student Verified via GitHub
    The instructors and TA's were always willing to help, and in the midst of a year like 2020, I really couldn't have asked for more. The entire team from instructors to career advisors were always diligent in their efforts to motivate students to ask questions and achieve their goals.
    Friday, Sep 25 2020
    Amazing, Brandon! We're glad you've found the boot camp to be a rewarding and supportive experience. Congratulations on completing the program!
  • Marc  User Photo
    Marc • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Going into this coding bootcamp was great I had a short background in web development by using web resources like codecademy or freecodecamp so the 'fast paced' learning was a bit easier to digest. The assignments were fairly easy to comprehend aside from a few of the course materials which were either making the assumption certain environments were configured, or the coursework just wasn't written in a way that was understandable.

I will say that I have learned a ton of things in regard to programming. The instructional staff were so helpful in learning these concepts by explaining in further detail of what to look for. This bootcamp does teach relevant programming subjects along with a few concepts that seem pretty random but at the end of the day, its just another skill set.

Over all, I would recommend this camp as an intermediate course where you have an understanding of basic javascript concepts NOT as someone starting from scratch with zero knowledge on programming. Yes the first couple weeks of html/css can be fairly easy but once JavaScript comes up, the pacing gets pretty fast.
    Monday, Aug 24 2020
    Thank you for sharing your journey, Marc! We're glad to hear you had a positive student experience and benefited from the support of our instructional team. We're always looking to optimize our curriculum and program offerings, so we appreciate your feedback. Congratulations on successfully graduating from the boot camp and best of luck in all your future endeavors!
  • Coding Boot Camp
    - 8/17/2020
    Derek Glassick  User Photo
    Derek Glassick • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I went into the Coding Boot Camp feeling a little skeptical. This was mostly because I was already in a career looking to transition to coding, but just didn't know where. I needed to take out a loan. There isn't a guarantee, like most things in life, with anything coming from this course. After completing the course, I have to say, I don't feel as anxious about taking it anymore. I learned so much over the 24-26 weeks of class. Instructors were amazing, TAs were amazing, and the curriculum felt relevant and up-to-date.  I should say that I went into this Boot Camp without any prior coding experience, which was really intimidating, but the professor and TAs really made the class accessible. I really would recommend this course to anyone looking for that push to transition careers. I hopefully will be able to come back here in a month or two with news that I am now a developer.
    Thursday, Aug 20 2020
    Thank you, Derek! We're happy to hear you chose our program to make a significant career change and felt supported by our entire instructional team. We strive to equip all students for success as they prepare to enter the job market, so we're confident in you and your newfound skills. Congratulations on graduating and all the best moving forward!
  • Nestor Baez  User Photo
    Nestor Baez • Service Desk Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This boot camp was awesome! I started from having zero knowledge of cyber security to being able to hack into systems and protect them. This class has so much to offer if you're willing to put in the work. If you're a hands on learner, then this course is for you. Starting from day 1, to the very last day you're doing everything hands on. Amazing instructor and TA's, all of them were extremely knowledgeable, patient, and willing to help. I'm a person that is nervous to ask a lot of questions but the class and instructors made it extremely comfortable for me to ask anything. Throughout the course, the entire staff is there to help with building your resume, LinkedIn, and help with interview skills. Before this I was working at fast food and being a barista but after completing the course, I was able to land a job as a Service Desk Analyst to begin my IT career. If you're looking to get into the cyber security field, I definitely recommend this boot camp!
    Monday, Jun 22 2020
    Thank you for sharing, Nestor! It’s our goal to provide a comprehensive skills-based experience to all of our students, including both beginners and experienced individuals, so we're happy to hear you successfully learned the fundamentals of cybersecurity. It's great to know you benefited from the ongoing support of our entire boot camp team and landed an exciting new role. Congratulations on successfully completing the program! We wish you all the best moving forward.
  • Cybersecurity
    - 5/11/2020
    Raymond Reyes  User Photo
    Raymond Reyes • Network Administrator • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    This is a great program if you're looking to start into the security field.  Personally, I like to do alot of hands on and I am a visual learner more so than reading about it from a document or observing a bunch of slides.  There's that too in addition to an abundance of hands on lab work and exercizes. As a student you are provided with TA's that will assist you with any questions or obstacles you encounter and we had a great instructor who was very engaging and knowledgeable.  No questions or comment was too small or too big  I would send emails during off hours and still get a response.  Day one starts with Linux Administration and the last day you are literraly hacking into systems and doing a full presentation on the dedtails on how you did it.  You are required to do this over and over at which point you get pretty comforable with the presentation and hacking process. The support provided is incredible and I would absolutely recommend this to anyone curious about the security field. At first I didn't know if I made the right decision but now I know I did.  The entire staff was bar none second to none!
    Wednesday, May 13 2020
    Amazing, Raymond! We're thrilled you benefited from the hands-on classroom environment and from the support of our entire instructional team. Congratulations on successfully completing the boot camp, we truly appreciate your review! We're rooting you on in all that you do.
  • Isaac Cortez  User Photo
    Isaac Cortez • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
        I started off as a automotive technician looking to change careers. So I decided to attend a bootcamp so that I could acquire as much knowledge and as quickly as I could. As someone coming into the course with no experience in web development it took me some time to understand it, but I can say with the support that the instructor and TA's gave me I overcame a lot of the struggles I had in the beginning.  Since this is a bootcamp the material will be presented very quick. Be prepared to spend a lot of time reviewing the activities and make sure to ask a lot of questions if the content isn't clear.
        Overall it was an amazing experience and to look back and realize how much I learned just by taking the course I can say I am thankful I took the leap. One thing I will add is that you get what you put in so make sure you put in your best effort the resources and help they provide will help you make it through.
    Wednesday, May 13 2020
    Way to go, Isaac! We're happy to hear you chose our program to make a significant career change. Our entire team is truly passionate about enabling student success, so it's great to know you benefited from their support. We completely agree that you get what you put in, so we applaud all your hard work. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! All the best in your future endeavors.
  • CyberSecurity
    - 4/30/2020
    Albert Estrada  User Photo
    Albert Estrada • Senior Systems Administrator • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I am a recent graduate of the CyberSecurity class. Even though I have approx 20yrs of experience it was amazing to see how much there was still to learn. We had a diverse class ranging from those new to IT to those will years of experience. The instructor always kept the class engaged in the topics and pushing us to think outside of the box, to think like an Ethical Hacker. The class starts off showing you the basics and gradually leads you down the rabbit hole of security. We explored forensics and incident response, to building and configuring security appliances. Before we knew it we were learning how to target systems as a penetration tester. If you are considering entering the CyberSecurity field, this is a great place to start.

Besides having knowledgable instructors we had great TA's that not only provided help and guidance when needed but also made themselves available outside of class time.
    Tuesday, May 05 2020
    Amazing, Albert! We're thrilled you chose our program to continue advancing your skills and enjoyed the topics covered. Our entire instructional team is truly passionate about enabling student success, so it's great to know you benefited from their support. Congratulations on completing the boot camp and thank you for your review! We wish you all the best moving forward.
  • Recent Graduate
    - 3/31/2020
    Joseph Badua  User Photo
    Joseph Badua • Programmer Analyst II • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This has been, without a doubt, one of the best decisions I've ever made. While simultaneously pursuing an undergrad degree in a field I was slowly losing interest in, I took a leap and decided to try and learn how to code and web development. In short, it reignited my passion for learning. The instructors were amazing, the people were friendly, and the material taught was practical and could always be used in a job-like setting. You learn the fundamentals for what employers are looking for and you build a network of like-minded people to help you tackle any struggles that come your way. Something that was stressed in my class was that who you know is as important as what you know. They made sure students were competitive to employers and were ready to join the workforce right after graduation. Of course, it wasn't a walk in the park, and there are no guarantees. There were sleepless nights and tons of hair-pulling trying to learn and understand how things work. To be honest, I still haven't figured it all out, but I'm still learning and trying to and that's what matters. If you have that inner drive to continuously improve and learn, then this boot camp is a great catalyst to accelerate your future; giving you sought after skills in an exponentially growing industry. Thanks to the people at this boot camp, I've gone from studying towards an English degree with no prior knowledge of coding and development to learning a new skill and eventually landing a job within less than a year.
    Thursday, Apr 02 2020
    Thank you, Joseph! We're happy to hear our boot camp reignited your passion for learning. Our entire team is truly committed to enabling student success so we're thrilled this resonated with you. Like you mentioned, if you have the inner drive to continuously improve and learn, this program might be the catalyst you're looking for. Congratulations on graduating! We're confident you'll go on to achieve great things in the future with your newfound skills.
  • Recent Graduate
    - 2/19/2020
    Thomas Nelson  User Photo
    Thomas Nelson • Full-Stack Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I can honestly say going to this bootcamp was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I had always wanted to pursue coding/programming, but college always made it seem like math was essential to the field. This prevented me from being able to pursue the CS degree I originally wanted. Because of this, I gave up on the idea. It wasn't till last year that I decided to look back into it, and I realized that math was never much of a requirement, at least in Software/Web Development. This prompted me to learn a little on my own, and eventually enroll in the bootcamp.

I've learned more in these past six months than I ever had before. I won't lie, it was hard. It was frustrating at times, I felt like giving up a couple times here and there, but if you stick with it, you will learn. The instructor and TA's were fantastic, and the fact that it is an in-person bootcamp meant I could talk to them, as well as my peers, face-to-face. This was invaluable to me, as working with others makes learning more fun, and easier, as you have real people to bounce ideas and solutions off of.

If you feel that this is a field you will truly enjoy and you like learning, I can't recommend this bootcamp enough.
    Friday, Feb 21 2020
    Thank you for sharing your student experience, Thomas! We're thrilled you chose our program to chase your dreams and make a significant career change.

Like you noted, if you stick with it, you can succeed. Reaching out to classmates and the instructional team for support as well as taking advantage of all the boot camp's available resources can prove to be invaluable throughout your learning journey. Congratulations on successfully completing the course, we appreciate your recommendation! We're rooting you on in all that you do.
  • Xavier Davis  User Photo
    Xavier Davis • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life..."-Steve Jobs.

As someone who just came out of high-School, these are great words to follow. We don't even know what's to come tomorrow, so why not start that dream right now and make that dream, reality! Knowing how short our lives our what better place to start than a school that offers this dream to you as fast as six-months to let you get a head start compared to the rest of the world. This class was quite rigorous, so being proactive and not procrastinating allowed for that precious time we have to be used to the fullest in such a small time frame.

Another useful trick to managing one's busy schedule with this school was creating a set schedule for the day because you do not want any day going by without coding. Also, the best advice I can give to a fellow future student is always double-checking what you are unsure of from google. You get to learn real fast that google becomes your best buddy.

This class truly helped me to learn so many valued aspects of life. The best part about this journey was that I was not alone in this endeavor. I had many supporters that helped me varying from the TA's, instructor and classmates. In conclusion, this school was the best decision I could make to help jump start that dream I had into a reality that keeps on giving knowing that there is this vast world out there waiting for me to make my mark.
    Thursday, Feb 20 2020
    Amazing, Xavier! We're happy to hear you enjoyed the program and successfully learned the fundamentals of full stack web development. Great advice for prospective students—effectively managing your time and using Google as a supplemental resource will help you get ahead.

We strive to foster a collaborative and supportive environment, so we're thrilled you reached out to your classmates and benefited from our instructional team's assistance. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! We can't wait to see how you'll use your newfound skills in the future.