the-iron-yard-logo

The Iron Yard

Atlanta, Atlanta, Austin, Charleston, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Columbia, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Durham, Greenville, Houston, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, Nashville, Orlando, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, Tampa, Washington

The Iron Yard

As of July 20, 2017, The Iron Yard is no longer accepting applications. The Iron Yard is a technology education company that offers software development courses both in person, and through corporate training programs across the US. The school offers full-time and part-time immersive programs in Web Development. Beginners can choose from Web Development Basics or Interactive Web Development courses. For career changers, The Iron Yard's flagship bootcamp is the Web Development Career Path, which takes students from zero to job ready. Graduates of the Web Development Career Path will be well-versed in front end and back end fundamentals, and participate in The Iron Yard's Career Support program.

The Iron Yard team strives to create real, lasting change for people, companies, and communities by equipping a diverse workforce with 21st-century digital skills. Since it was launched in 2013, The Iron Yard has prepared thousands of students for careers in technology.

Recent The Iron Yard Reviews: Rating 4.42

all (173) reviews for The Iron Yard →

Recent The Iron Yard News

Read all (32) articles about The Iron Yard →

• Solid Foundation
    - 5/18/2017
    Chelsey • UI/UX Designer • Graduate

The Iron Yard (Dallas) gave me the tools I need to begin my career. The class was intensive both in the classroom and out. I learned how to code but also learned about what it actually means to be a professional in my field. In addition to homework and classtime, networking is encourage. This networking is something I truely value. TIY understands the importance of networking helps to foster new relationships. If you're looking to transition into the tech industry TIY is the place to start.

• David Kurth • Graduate

The TIY program was exactly what I was looking for to jump start my new career. It was a difficult course that pushed me to grow quickly with my understanding of programming principles. The instructor Eric Sowell was fantastic. His guidance helped me to learn so much in such a short time.

I finished the front end class in February, and in 3 months I had an offer for a web developer role. The hard work, and sacrifices were well worth the investment. I'd highly recommend this program to any prospective developers in training.

• TIY - Charlotte
    - 5/17/2017
    Marge • Front-End Developer • Graduate

I took the Front-End Engineering immersive course (full-time for 12 weeks) at the Charlotte, NC campus which focused on JavaScript, API’s and AngularJS.  I was incredibly impressed by the staff and the program.  I’m glad that I decided to take the course, as it was the first and most influential step in my career change.

TL;DR The instructors were outstanding.  I walked away with a solid understanding of web development that I could not have gotten from an online course.  I also have a new network of friends and fellow coders in my area.

As most students have said, the workload is difficult, and you will only get out of the class what you put in.  I researched the curriculum of several bootcamp options before I signed up.  Other code schools promise that they will make you full-stack in the same amount of time. I am skeptical of those programs, as there is too much ground to cover to come close to full-stack in that time frame, especially for new coders.  The Iron Yard’s curriculum seemed much more realistic and honest.  TIY covers the same core topics as other programs, but has a more linear progression that allows you to delve deeper into central concepts rather than only scraping the surface of many.

Our daily schedule usually consisted of a lecture in the morning and homework in the afternoon, allowing time for one-on-one help or group reviews.  Luke, the front-end instructor at Charlotte, is a great lecturer, and truly knowledgeable in programming.  Between their computer science education and programming experience, both instructors are overqualified to teach code to beginners, but they love it, and can answer your simplest to most in-depth questions.

Finding a job after completing the program was just as much work as the course.  In terms of career support, the staff was very responsive when I reached out to them about job prospects.  The Charlotte campus is one of The Iron Yard’s newest locations, but is quickly building a network of connections in the coding community, and it was helpful to have that available to me.

• Jasmine F • Jr. ROR developer • Graduate

I dabbled with code a bit before I got into TIY. With family life and all, it was really difficult to make time to devote myself to coding. Also it was frustrating when I encountered difficulties while styduing coding without anyone to turn to for help . At times I dreaded getting back to it out of frustration, but the pleasure I got from solving a little piece of code encouraged me to enhance my skills with the 12 week immersive course. Luckily, I had great support from my family and friends, not to mention my new friends from TIY and its wonderful staff and instructors.  I was able to finish the course while I was well into pregnancy with my 2nd child. I call him a hidden Rubyist.

It was a challenging 12 weeks, but after struggling on my own for so long before coming to TIY, I couldn't be thankful enough for the extremly devoted instructors who went out of their way to help. I still turn to them even after 3 months after the graduation if I have problems that are difficult to solve!

Just to remind you, 12 weeks does not turn you into a coding wizard (or may be it will) but it will give you a great start and solid standing ground to continue to grow as a coder/ programmer. I really enjoyed every single moment at TIY and if you are serious about coding, you will be in the right hands. Listen to the instructors and the staff. They really have your best interest at heart.

I am writing this while I am working remotely as a Jr Ruby on Rails dev contractor with my 1 month old baby sleeping next to me.

• Miguel M. • Jr. Front End Developer • Graduate

If you're the type of person who walks into an Apple store expecting to order a bacon cheeseburger - then this isn't for you.  The expectations are set up front, the pre-course work is available ahead of the cohorts, and all of the reviews about the various courses being "a challenge" are spot on. It's  3 months of all-day coding, and the challenges you'll face are no different than those in the workplace so it's a very thorough litmus test for what you'll experience in your day-to-day role afterwards.

That being said, this particular cohort and location was phenomenal. From the school admin to the local developers that frequented the space and evening meetups, it was a fantastic experience overall that I'm reaping the benefits of to this day.  I can't say enough about how helpful the instructors were in making me feel comfortable and at home with what I knew. The sped-up pace of learning can be difficult to manage at times, but the instructors were awesome at being understanding and balancing the space of guiding/allowing me to learn vs. just telling me how to complete a block of code.

Like anything worth doing, it's challenging but extremely rewarding.. just make sure you love code.

Pros:
    Friendly atmosphere
    Knowledgable and Helpful instructors
    Great support group
    Beautiful open space
    Nice location

Cons:
    Cost (though well worth it)
    Tough Job Market (not much they can do about that though)

• Angel Murchison • Associate Instructor • Graduate

I had an amazing experience at the Iron Yard of Tampa - St. Pete. I met an incredible medley of diverse people, many of whom I'm still very close with almost 3 months later. I know that some of them will remain lifelong friends. This is in stark contrast to what my thoughts were going into the program; I wanted to make friends but I mainly wanted to learn and code, and didn't want to spend too much time on leisure.

As far as the learning went, I felt very motivated and supported. I think a lot of people come into this program expecting to have someone shoving code down their throat until they can make sense of it, but that's not exactly how it is. It's more like they put a pile of code in front of you, and its more-or-less up to you to figure out how to digest it. The Iron Yard will teach you how to be resourceful, but you still have to use those resources.

After I recieved my certificate I looked for jobs for about a month and a half and, despite getting some promising leads, I chose to accept a position as a Teacher's Assistant at the same campus I studied at and recently I've accepted a promotion to Associate Instructor! The fact that the school is so willing to invest in me, offering me a space and position that allows me to continue growing as a developer & educator, learn new languages, frameworks, techniques etc,  AND be paid for it is a testament to this campus' real passion for creating amazing developers.

• TIY Tampa
    - 5/16/2017
    Jonathan Hutson • Full stack Developer • Graduate

I came into the Iron Yard with ZERO experience. With the help of the excellent staff and classmates 3 months later i was a full stack developer in Ruby on Rails. I got a job as a full stack developer a month after graduating where I now code in Ruby on Rails. The course was tough but it was definitley worth it. I would recommned it to anyone looking to better their future and get ahead in life.

• Kurt Wyckoff • Software engineer • Graduate

Totally game changing for me.  I am on my third career change, and this course helped me focus on finding a skill that will get me hired to the workplace. I was hired 2 weeks after graduation from this boot camp, and I will swear that it's because of the Iron Yard's reputation in the Atlanta area and their successful placement of students.

Thank you The Iron Yard Atlanta!

• Life changing
    Gabe Wright • UX Developer • Graduate

I'm not sure if I just lucked out with an awesome staff, but my experience at the Iron yard was amazing. I learned so much in so little time. By the third month, I had developed the crucial habits of setting up my dev environment, writing and debugging code, and deploying to repos, it just became muscle memory. I no longer get intimidated by new languages, libraries, or frameworks. I've learned the skills it takes to not only create awesome web apps, but to approach challenges in ways that allow me to excel so much faster. I can't say enough good things about my experience. Thank you TIY.

• Logan Arnett • Lead Software Engineer • Student

I attended The Iron Yard in 2014 at the Orlando campus and I cannot say enough about the education that I was provided. We not only covered a large amount of Front End Engineering as the course was titled but also what I believe to be the most important part which was learning how to learn. Learning how to problem solve on more than just a software level and at least for me learning to love being faced with those challenges and finding a way to fix it. That was and still is the excitement for me in software, especially in the realm of javascript, there is always something new coming out claiming to be the best, fastest, most performant on all levels new tool, library, or framework and it keeps you on your toes. The Iron Yard prepared me with the most current(at the time) javascript tools, libraries, and frameworks but also this understanding of never being complacent and always being curious.

During my time as a student our teaching assistant was a huge help in showing the topics at hat in a slightly different light than the instructor which also gave me a more well rounded understanding the subject matter. The environment that is created amongst the students, teaching assistant, and instructor is very like a team/family and that allows for a lot of growth. Working in a team environment allows for learning from people at varying levels and seeing problems from different angles than you may have thought to look at them in.

I definitely owe The Iron Yard, my instructor, teaching assistant, and cohortmates(thats not a word, but oh well) a lot of credit for my success in software engineering up to this point in my career and into the future because I have been able to continue to adapt with the ever changing landscape of software through what I learned during my time in class at The Iron Yard Orlando.

• TIY Indianapolis
    Nathan • Student

I had a great experience taking the Front End Engineering course at the Indianapolis location. This course dove deep into the world of front end development, to include HTML, CSS, Javascript, and React. We also touched on Node and Express to get some backend experience to help for a more rounded education. I found the instructors to be very knowledgeable and helpful. Their vast experience in the local tech scene helped understand how concepts apply to the real world. Of course, you get what you put into this course. Prep work is extremely important prior to starting along with diving into material further on your own. But For the most part, the coursework will have you working from the time you wake up until bed. Overall I enjoyed my time at the Iron Yard- the overall education and environment was just as I expected.

• TIY Charleston
    Drew Wyckoff • Software Engineer • Graduate

I found the course to be challenging and rewarding. Travis is an excellent instructor, and the teaching assistants were invaluable. This is a completely different pace compared to undergraduate studies, so don't expect to have much free time. Every day you spend at the Iron Yard is an investment in your future, so take full advantage of the tools they provide.

• TIY Austin
    - 5/10/2017
    Betty Koshy • Graduate

The Iron Yard has made my dream of becoming a web designer possible! When I first came upon The Iron Yard, I was blown away by how authentic and nice everyone was. I understand that the staff at every coding bootcamp are supposed to be nice to you. After all, they want your business. But, it was different at The Iron Yard Austin. They really care about your journey and progress from start to finish. I graduated from the user interface design course three months ago. Three months later, Karly the campus director, still checks up on me and offers career support. The staff is what make this place great. Learning a new skill in three months is no easy feat, but the support that the TIY Austin team provides makes you feel like anything is possible.

• TIY Indianapolis
    - 5/10/2017
    Kendrick Lo • Graduate

I have recently graduated from The Iron Yard in Indianapolis and I personally really enjoyed my experience. I was lucky to have wonderful classmates with me in my cohort that helped push me and motivate me to work harder and harder each day. The instructor was also nothing short of amazing and I learned more than I ever thought I would from him. Also the staff was always very supportive and easily reachable.

• Maira • software engineer • Graduate

My experience at Austin TIY was nothing short of exceptional. If you are even considering attending TIY or even just a career in coding. I suggest you attend TIY crash courses. It's a great way to make sure you will like the teaching style and if TIY is a good fit for you, also they are FREE!!

I can not applaud the staff enough, the professors are very knowledgeable and share great insight with their job experience. They are very caring and do all they can to help all students be successful.

The staff is wonderful and are always looking for tools and resources to help the students be successful. What I wasn't expecting was the soft skill and the tangential topics that were covered by the staff and guest speakers that offered a more well rounded experience that is essential when transitioning from a different career path. Through the dedication of the professors and staff I was able to get a job as apprentice software engineer a week after graduation!! Sounds like a lie I know but it's true.

Coming from non computer science background and having hardly any experience coding, TIY is perfect for someone who is determined to make a career change.

If you come from a background with a lot of knowledge and experience coding this might not be for you. This program is most helpful for those who require to learn a lot in a short amount a time.

• Jerol Graves • Graduate

I found this course extemely challenging in a way that showed me abilities that I forgot I had possessed.  They lived up to their word and never made a promise that they did not keep.  I feel prepared to tackle the job market with confidence and skill.  I am sincerely appreciative for all of their help and support.

• Alexandre Marcondes • Software Engineer • Graduate

I had a phenomenal experience with The Iron Yard Charleston. There are a couple of things to keep in mind:

• You must do the pre-work and take it very seriously. It is immeasurably important that when doing the pre-work you do not only do the assignments but also make an effort to explore the concepts on your own and come up with applications for the concepts you're learning on your own. You will not learn these concepts by just completing the assignments in rote, neither during the pre-work or during the cohort itself.
    • You must spend more than 40 hours a week on your assignments. Between completing the assignments themselves and applying them in new, creative ways, you will not be able to achieve the necessary amount of proficiency in the material to be able to get the fantastic job you can get at the end otherwise. As important as expanding on your interaction with the pre-work mateiral is, it is even more important to interact with the material during the cohort in the same way. That means side projects, if you have time for it. That means going back to your earlier projects and making them better, from scratch, with the new skills you learn every week.
    • You will not copy and paste anything. To solidify syntactical and stylistic rules and norms you will have to spend a significant amount of time typing the same things over and over again. You wouldn't copy and paste your algebra homework if you wanted to get a job doing it. You won't want to do that with coding either.
    • You should read trade blogs and news outlets as often as you can. Hacker News is a great resource for learning where to find these things. Even if you don't understand everything (you won't at first!) still read it. It will help you get a sense of the industry, how people work and act in the industry, and the general technologies that are popular and being used.
    • You must attend technology meetups in your city. Like the previous point, you will not understand everything, but you will meet people who will explain these things to you and who know things your instructors sometimes will not. And contacts in the industry are so much easier to make in a casual meetup setting.

If these things sound like a drag or like they're going to take up too much of your time, then you're going to have a hard time finding a job in this industry. It is a fast paced one and there are thousands of people trying to get into it. The only way to stand out is to get involved and to take your learning the material as seriously as you can.

I began researching The Iron Yard about 4 months before starting it. In deciding whether I wanted to do it I spent a modest amount of time working on learning some things on my own before the cohort started. This gave me a really great foundation to succeed during the cohort. Even though I had that great foundation, I still found ways to spend upwards of 80 hours a week working to become a software engineer. Take it seriously.

This is also hands down the most fun way to learn anything. If you are a focused and self-driven person then you will thrive. If you are willing to ask questions and admit you don't know things then you will thrive. On the other hand, you will be sorely disappointed with the program if you aren't that kind of person. It's not for everybody, but for those who are willing to put in the time, it is perfect.

• Mike Smith • Graduate

Terrible experience,  I should have known because when I toured the campus, it sounds like you are about to fall through the raggedy wood floors. Also, when I took my assessment, their website crashed and said “ 500 error That means we can’t find what you are looking for or there is a BLUNDER IN OUR CODE” . How are you going to teach me to build a good website and your site crashed due to bad code?  This school is not worth the money, check out comparable schools in the area like Thinkful or General assembly.

• Jobless • Unemployed • Graduate

It went fast, as in time flew by. Alot of my classmates are also jobless after 4 months of graduation and the school director just quit to exacerbate the issue. They do have decent wifi and the salvation army is across the street so you can have an idea of where you might be afterwards: jobless. And a huge debt to pay afterwards. Sounds kinda like what an orange guy with a red tie has been saying for the last 10 months. This is mostly negative but it is the truth for most of us. My review would be better if at least I was close to getting a job but so far its been silence from everywhere, even the supposed job support sucks. They just send blasted links from places I search anyway. Its sort of embarrassing. Though, its cool that now I can make a site if I want but as long as a check to my name is not coming. then screw this. And for that reason, I'm out. Ps I just saw all the glowing reviews so I assume my comment will be stuffed to the last pages so if you read this I'm shocked.

• Endurance is key
    - 3/29/2017
    Tyler Hamlett • Student

My experience at TIY has been exhausting, as expected. We learn new concepts every day and constantly apply our knowledge to homework assignments and projects. A lot of outside-the-box thinking is required [insert CSS joke here] which is preparing us for the wild world of web development. After a few weeks, you'll start to think of everyday situations like grocery shopping or yard work as a human compiler. Just hang on and focus on learning and applying what you've learned. Try not to waste time worrying about what you don't know-- there's really not enough energy for that. It will all make sense in time.

Our instructor is excellent. He teaches us, but doesn't like to give us the answers right away. In a way, he is teaching us how to learn as well as how to code. If you want someone to hand you all the answers, don't pursue this course. It won't happen.

Going through this bootcamp is a great experience. I'm making friends with my fellow classmates, I'm learning how to be a web developer, and there are networking oppurtunites everywhere. If you're up for the challenge, go for it!

• Paul Dennis • Graduate

I was part of The Iron Yard Atlanta's November 2016 Java Back-End Class. I had an excellent experience at the Iron Yard. The instructors are passionate and engaged in the field of technology. They are very much NOT just 9-5 instructors; they are generally available on Slack (communication/messaging tool) over the weekends and in the evenings. On one occasion my instructor and I stayed on campus until 9pm working on getting a JQuery plugin up and running. Even instructors teaching other classes are willing to help you out (though they are of course focused on their own students first).

Job assistance is a large part of what people expect out of code schools and TIY takes that very seriously. I graduated less than a month ago and I've already been contacted by several companies through TIY. They are always available to answer questions about companies ("What do you know about this company? Is it a good place to work?") and we had several "mock interview" opportunities to get us started.

Paradoxically I do wish I had done more research about The Iron Yard even though I am 100% satisfied. I didn't really "shop around" and compare other code schools as much as I should have, but I think I lucked out. The Iron Yard (Atlanta at least) is an excellent place to be.

Best of luck!

P.S.: This comment is more about intensive code schools in general and TIY certainly fits that bill: it is hard work for 12 weeks and you need to make sure before you start that you will have the time and energy to devote to it.

• Robert Johnson • Student

My first week of the front-end coding at The Iron Yard campus in Salt Lake City has been exciting and fast paced. The week was full of discussions, laughs, new challenges and getting to know some of my fellow cohorts better.

The lessons presented thus far by Sean Duncan, our course instructor, have been enlightening and well focused. I must commend him on his ability to switch gears between presenting his lecture, answering all our questions and making the concepts interesting, especially since I am a begging developer.

My first week has been meaningful in a few ways. First, I feel like I finished my first week with many more questions then what I came in with. And second, I feel as though I got several gears turning inside my head that were not turning before the start of the camp. I suppose both of these are fairly common when someone is learning so many new and amazing things for the first time. Finally, I think the cohort I have the pleasure of being a part of has good chemistry. I have been blown away with everyone’s willingness to help each other and have fun while doing it. This was just the camaraderie I was hoping for in this coding bootcamp at The Iron Yard. I am excited to see where my new career path will take me.

• Amy • Not Employed • Graduate

Pros:

Very dedicated office staff

Great Campus

Fast Paced Education

Cons:

No real syllabus for the course

Instructor was out for a week with no make up days

Over all:

I really learned a lot. It was an exhausting experience, but I now have an app on the app store, which is really exciting.

• Allen • iOS Developer • Graduate

TIY Raleigh pushed me to learn faster than independent study, with more depth of knowledge and with more confidence to approach potential employers.

I enrolled in mobile engineering at TIY Raleigh and found it worth every penny. Three months after graduation I had accepted a major pay increase from my previous job, was working for an incredible startup, spending my time on projects I actually care about around people I enjoy. I can't thank TIY Raleigh enough for providing the pieces to allow this to happen.

As others have said - you get out what you put in. If you commit to this do it full-time and with no reservations. Your persistance will pay off.

• Will • Graduate

When I applied to the Iron Yard, I had already been in a web-related job for about eight years. It wasn't really going anywhere, so I figured I was the perfect candidate. I chose the UI Design course to improve my design skills, as I had already built sites with a graphic designer before.

It would be disingenuous to say I got nothing from the course. Learning the design cycle for websites and practicing it repeatedly was an invaluable experience. Unfortunately, the short time frame demanded that we had to produce rushed builds of sites and had little time to review and improve upon them. I greatly respect our instructor, but it was clear that he had more he wanted to cover than he had time to invest.

In retrospect, I should have gone with the concurrent Front End Engineering course. While the UI Design course was taught well, I was already familiar with much of the material. I think learning frameworks like Node and Backbone would have opened up a broader spectrum of jobs to me. The collaborative project between the two classes was an excellent experience that continues to impress those who see it.

I pursued several job opportunities via the Slack channel provided to Iron Yard graduates, but none of them went anywhere. As someone who has never been comfortable selling themselves, I'm not sure if there is anything that the Iron Yard could have done differently that would have helped me. The staff was very supportive, and I can't fault them for a dirth of job openings in my area.

It's been nearly a year since I completed the Iron Yard, and I am still looking for a position. While I don't consider it a wasted opportunity, I don't think it was worth the cost. At least not for someone with any familiarity with web development.