software-guild-logo

Software Guild

Software Guild

The Software Guild offers immersive full-time, online, 12-week or part-time, 10 to 14-month coding bootcamps. Courses focus on .NET/C# and Java and do a deep dive into the language fundamentals, server side, data tier, user interface, and tools. Software Guild focuses on .NET/C# and Java because those stacks are stable, proven, and in highest demand in the enterprise. The Software Guild takes driven beginners, or more experienced students passionate about development, and prepares them to compete for jobs as professional developers.

Prospective applicants must fill out an application, complete an admissions interview, take an aptitude assessment, and complete Software Guild’s Introduction to Web Development. The Software Guild looks for applicants who are self-starters with high levels of motivation and tenacity who know when to ask for help, work well with others, keep positive attitudes in the face of adversity, love learning and problem-solving, and are excited to build cool new things.

Recent Software Guild Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (151) reviews for Software Guild →

Recent Software Guild News

Read all (53) articles about Software Guild →
  • Java

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java
    Our 12-week Java coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with an average of over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code ’
  • .NET/C#

HTML, C#, .NET, CSS
    Our 12-week .NET/C# coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code’
  • Michael Moxley • Developer, IT Applications • Graduate

Anyone looking to have a career in Development should take advantage of this opportunity.

I attended the Software Guild as part of the April 2016 Java cohort with Pat Toner as my instructor. In just 12 weeks I became a competent junior-level developer having learned technologies such as Java, HTML\CSS, JavaScript, Ajax, JSON, MySQL, and much more.

Before the Software Guild, I was a dishwasher(past 4 years), had no degree, and basically no support system.

If you are highly motivated, persistent, and self sufficient this program will be viable for you, regardless of your background.

My experience at the Software Guild

While I was there I took advantage of the short-term sublease to apartments that they offered which was right down the street from the guild. Staying at the apartments was extremely beneficial because it made it much easier to focus on what I was there to do and three other members of my cohort were in the same loft, so if I was ever stuck on a problem, help was near by.

I would say the first four weeks were the most daunting. The first week was pretty relaxed, we spent time getting to know each other and the curriculum for the next 12 weeks. After the first week, we hit the ground running. The next three weeks were the most crucial,  there was a lot of information to take in during class and plenty of work to do from home. I dreamt about code the most during this time, surprisingly I actually dreamt up solutions to some problems in my sleep. Basically once you make it through the first four weeks, you'll know if coding is for you.

After the first four weeks, the intensity went down a bit, I adjusted to the lifestyle and we started to focus more on different technologies.

Instructors and Staff

I don't know how my experience would have went without my instructor Pat Toner. Learning how to write code can be very confusing and not so straight foward. My instructor was very good at making concepts easy to understand and taught us the best coding practices. Sometimes it takes a little more for me to learn certain material. I can't just read about something or just have someone verbally tell me how to do something. I need to actually understand what I'm doing, why I'm doing it, and see it being done. Pat does a great job of painting that picture, explaining things in a way so I can actually understand why/how to do something, instead of just going through the steps.

I havn't had a chance to learn from any other instructors but they were all friendly and would go out of their way to help.

The Software Guild does an excellent job at providing job assistance. We focused more on our job search during the end of the program but our employer network director, John Manilla, was always available for mock interviews or to give any advice that was needed.  Around the last 2-3 weeks of the program they host an employer networking event where they invite a number of companys to interview with. A number of my collegues ended up with offers from the networking event. Unfortunately I didn't, but about two months later I ended up with an offer from Nationwide thanks to the feedback my instructor gave as a reference.

Ultimately the search is your own, but you are given all the resources you need for it to be successful.

• Andrew • Software Developer • Graduate

This program should be a serious option for those who are interested in transitioning to a career in software development.

At around May of 2015, I was at an important crossroad in my life: I knew I wanted to pursue a career in software development, but like most others in that kind of situation, I was led to chose between two options: going to a programming bootcamp or atttending a 4-year CS degree program.

Ultimately, I decided that after already having obtained an undergraduate degree (in Physics and Mathematics), a quarter of a medical degree, and comitting four separate years as a tour-bus driver, attending school for another bachelors degree --which you'll learn carries less weight in this industry than it does in others-- felt like more of a risk than an investment.

So I enrolled in Software Guild and thought: whatever-- I can fill in the theoretical deficiencies within 3 years and 9 months of my own free time while getting paid as a software developer. These numbers were based on the assumption that I would actually land a job straight out of bootcamp.

And land a job(s) I did. I applied to 80-some jobs after bootcamp (with most of the non-prestige positions being in Houston, my hometown). Only three companies saw that I was worth their time for an interview. These three interviews eventually led to offers-- one of which was from IBM.

Many of my current co-workers have commented positively on my performance, and not just in respect to my background, but generally speaking for a junior software developer. This is where I must give Software Guild most of the credit. Their program not only taught me the technical skills that the industry needs, but also the soft skills necessary for a budding software developer to scale nicely into a senior-level practitioner-- skills like project management, effective team communication, prioritization, and how to work efficiently.

If you're truly interested in software development, I urge you to give Software Guild a shot. It is a positive, nurturing, and efficient learning environment. It is clear that Victor, Randall, and Sarah were given the gift to teach. They will patiently answer all and any of your questions (even those that are "into-the-weeds"). If you give them the chance, they will also act as your friend and mentor, polishing your soft skills until you are ready to successfully step into a real interview scenario.

In closing, I'd say that the smartest decision would be to give it a try, and if it doesn't work out, then go for a 4-year degree. However, make the most of your time while you're there by obsessing over your work and utilizing all of their resources because this is a very real fast-track to the career of your dreams.

• URVASHI ATODARIA • Applications Engineer • Graduate

I went into The Software Guild hating and dreading Object Oriented Programming, since throughout the years I had tried and tried and tried to get my brain to wrap around the crazy concepts. What I learned at the Guild though, is that those concepts weren't crazy at all. The best thing that the Guild does for you is break down big concepts/problems into simple small ones you can understand and teaches you to do so on your own too. As soon as you start the bootcamp, boy it does feel like a bootcamp. Things happen so fast and the days go by in a blur. First week in, and I realized I know more Object Oriented than I ever did before. I couldn't believe how much information we were given in 1 week, but at the same time it was NEVER overwhelming. The pressure was there, but it was never so insane that you couldn't keep up. As weeks went by, I realized how comfortable I had gotten with something I had dreaded so much all my life. I even got a job in programming in my 10th week there.

The reason I say it was the best decision I ever made is because it really did turn my life around. The curriculum is designed to help you succeed. Everyone at the Guild is invested in your success. The instructors, the TA's, the alumni, and literally everyone else. I got great advice from each of these at some point that helped me not only in getting a job, but doing well in it. Especially having the support of my instructor Dave Balzer made a huge difference. With him around, I never felt like I had no one to talk to about my struggles and challenges. I could go panicking to him with the stupidest of problems and he would help me calm down and find a solution. That I would say is the best thing about the Guild. The kind of support system you get here is unmatched and if you work hard and want to succeed, this is the best place you could be at.

These guys make programming look easy.

• Kelsey • Graduate

I attended the Java 2015 August cohort with Pat Toner as my instructor. This program was an incredible experience and helped change my career.

After studying programming on my own for roughly a year, I knew that I needed help not only understanding more challenging concepts but also job assistance/advice. The program is designed for complete beginners with no experience in programming, but since I had almost a year of programming under my belt, my experiences may be different than those who come to the program with no experience. I found the pace of the course to be challenging at times, but overall manageable. The program begins with the basics but quickly builds off of that to give students a solid foundation of not only programming skills but also useful and sought after skills like the software development lifecycle (SDLC), Agile, N-Tier Architecture, and methodological thinking. Although the program moves quickly, there was always an instructor or TA that was available during and after class hours to answer questions, give advice, or give a more in depth explanation of things covered in class. Both the instructor and TAs were extremely helpful, informative, and went above and beyond to make sure that everyone understood concepts and themes.

One of the most important and worthwhile things about this program for me was learning how to be a full stack developer. Sure, there are a lot of tutorials to teach you specific things like Java, SQL, or HTML, but this program helps you put everything together to build dynamic web applications. I strongly believe that I would have not been able to learn all of this had I not attended the Guild. Another thing that I really appreciated was that the curriculum was up to date; I learned things that employers were looking for. In my current position as a junior developer, I have been able to apply what I have learned from the Guild and build upon them. The curriculum gave me a solid foundation that prepared me for my job.

It is important to note that you get what you put into this program; you can't expect to master everything if you only work during class hours. Putting in extra hours before and after class and on weekends makes concepts easier to understand and master. Since the program moves rather quickly, it's important to put in that extra time so that you can understand concepts and not get left behind.

On to the one of the most important things: Jobs. Obviously, this program is a huge investment, and every student attends the program hoping to walk away with a development job. The Guild does a good job helping prepare students for interviews and helping them find jobs. During my cohort we had several events to help us prepare for jobs including resume reviews, LinkedIn reviews, and, of course, the "speed dating" event where students were able to meet with employers. Outside of these events, you can reach out to your instructor or TAs for further assistance, which was extremely helpful for me. The Guild also has one person that is solely designated to find employers to higher Guld graduates. Unfortunately, the person that had this job during my cohort did not do a great job helping students, which was frustrating and one of the only bad things I have to say about the Guild. However, that person has since been replaced, and I have heard very good things about their replacement. To make finding a job easier, I would recommend that you not limit yourself to the companies that the Guild partners with; be proactive! I applied to multiple companies before most of my peers, and I believe that it helped me find a job quicker. It's recommended that you apply for jobs around week 8 or 9, but I started looking at job postings around week 5 or 6. Looking at job postings help me understand what skills and qualities employers were looking for, which, in turn, help me know what to study up on more. I received a job offer by week 7 or 8, which I accepted. I believe that most of my peers started receiving job offers after they attended the "speed dating" event.

Overall, I feel like the Guild was a worthwhile investment that help prepare me for my current position. It's given me the necessary skills to be a developer!

TL;DR- Worked my butt off, learned a TON, and ended up with an amazing development job!

• .NET Apprentice
    - 7/27/2016
    Tom Giffels • Graduate

The course covers a lot of material and it is very intense.  However, the instructors are very approachable and there is additional support from teaching assistants.  Be prepared to work hard, push yourself, and definitely take advantage of all available help.

People in the tech industry I have talked to have a positive reaction to the Guild.  It appears to be a good stepping stone to getting an entree to the tech industry.

• Louis Budziak • Junior Software Developer • Graduate

I spent several months researching different bootcamps, languages offered, reviews of bootcamps, and job placement stats.  I picked The Software Guild (previously Software Craftmanship Guild) because it had some of the highest ratings, offered a more stable and professional language (Java/C# instead of simply web development), and had job placement %'s as high as almost anyone else.

The instructors were very knowledgeable, always willing to answer questions, assigned increasingly difficult and complicated work, and very easy to work with.  The work itself scaled very well starting with learning C# then adding in SQL and javascript to build increasing complicated programs using all 3 languages.

One thing to be very aware of is that you MUST ask questions if something is unclear.  Do not assume that you can catch up later, the course is almost too fast for many students and you will not have time to figure it out on your own and then catch up on new material if you are lagging.

Final note, for some it is possible to learn programming without attending a bootcamp.  I probably was one such, however the ability to have instructors to help explain difficult concepts/problems, the solid hiring network, and the pain of having paid money all make a huge difference in where you end up.

• Rene Gomez • software developer • Graduate

I graduated from the Software Guild in May 2016.  I was in the Java cohort.

1. It was a tough program.  The pace was frantic, especially at the beginning.

2. There were times we were going so fast, I didn't receive the kind of feedback I was looking for.

3. The material, opportunity to practice, my fellow apprentices, and the quality instruction from Austyn Hill made this an overall great decision for me.  I had done an online bootcamp that was excellent, but the Software Guild filled in a great deal of understanding I was missing.

I have been working as a full-time software developer since May.  My experience at the Guild prepared me for real dev work.

About me:

-Career change

-36

-No programming background

-Bachelors and Masters in another field, non-technical

• Brian Bishop • Software Engineer • Graduate

First and foremost, one of the best decisions I've ever made. Went from manual labor to actually getting paid to think and solve problems. I spent two years learning on my own and by the end of week 2 I covered everything I knew plus more.

This is very very demanding of your time, but if you have the right attitude and self-motivation you'll get back twice as much as you put in... if not more. The best part of the experience was the teacher, Pat Toner in my case, and utilizing his decade + long career and knowledge to help better my understanding of software engineering.

This will be your entire life for 3 months and at times you will feel very stressed. But the guilds reputation and the success I've seen just from my class leads me to be able to say I highly recommend this course to any one serious enough learning how code.

• Mike Sheehy • Graduate

I attended the Febuary 2016 C#/.Net session in Louisville. While the coursework is no cakewalk, the instructor (with ~10 years experience as a .Net developer) was very helpful along the way. He helped us focus on what we're expected to know as a junior developer, and made sure that we had ample amount of time to go over any material that gave us problems. In addition, the classes are small with mine having 6 students.

The Software Guild placed me in front of some of the biggest companies/recruiters Louisville has to offer. Employers were impressed with what we were able to do with sush a short time, I was hired immediately after the program. I currently work for GE Appliances and I get to use my experience from the Software Guild to build and grow their website. With all of the knowledge, technology, and employment opportunities the Guild has to offer, this bootcamp is worth every dollar.

• Maaz Qureshi • Software Developer • Graduate

I was part of the Java cohort at the Software Guild from Feb to May 2016 in Akron, OH.

My background: I got my bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering in 2012 and worked for about 3 years in the offshore construction industry. While working on a side project, I started to learn web development on my own. My interest in programming grew and I decided to pursue a career in software. I considered the option of going back to school to get a computer science degree but it was way too expensive and time consuming. Luckily, I came across information about software bootcamps and immediately started to research into them.

Why ‘The Software Guild’? I spent a long time looking into several bootcamps but I finally settled on the Guild for 3 main reasons:

1. One of the few bootcamps that teaches object-oriented programming along with web development. OOP is a very important concept in computer programming and the course is designed in such a way that you will be learn and implement OOP principles.
    2. Awesome instructors and staff. They’re all pros with many years of experience and a passion for programming.
    3. Low cost of tuition. Total cost of studying at the Guild including tuition, accommodation, transport etc. is considerably lower than other bootcamps on the East/West coasts.

Is it hard? Yes and no. You will be bombarded with a lot of information over a short span of time. Some concepts are difficult to understand right away and need time to assimilate. However, if you put in the hours and utilize the resources that are available - you will have the “eureka” moment where all the pieces fall into place and make perfect sense.

What’s the outcome? You will learn and implement OOP concepts, unit testing, n-tiered design, web development using MVC design, agile software development and also various other dev tools and technologies. If your aim is to get a job after the bootcamp - rest assured the skills that you will learn at the Guild will put you in a good position to apply for entry level software developer jobs.

Conclusion: The curriculum at the Guild was cohesive and relevant to the requirements of my first job. This helped me transition into my new career as a Software Developer and has provided with a solid foundation of knowledge and skills. I would recommend the program at the Software Guild to anyone who is serious about a career in software development.

• Nathan Bell • Junior Software Developer • Graduate

I attended the Software Guild's .NET track in 2016 at their Minneapolis location and I had an exceptional experience.  The staff is professional and the coursework is very relevent; teaching you the skills that you need to get hired.  I already had an MBA before entering the program and this was a fast-track way for me to jumpstart my career in the tech industry.  The Software Guild puts on an employer network day where students interview with a number of potential employers and although this was an extremely valuable opportunity I didn't attend because I had already accepted a job offer and this was 2 weeks before graduation.

Don't think you'll be handed a job though.  It takes a lot of hard work and dedication (on average I probably put in 60 hours per week) but as long as you put in the time and effort and you enjoy programming then you'll be rewarded in the end.

• Bob Malos • Consultant • Graduate

I highly recommend The Software Guild if you are looking for coding bootcamp that will help you land a job. Before I enrolled I showed the "Full Stack Java" curriculum to a local IT Project Manager and she thought it looked excellent. As it turned out, the Guild did exactly what they said they were going to do. I got a VERY intense 3 month FULL-TIME experience (plus a 6-8 week "pre-work" part-time segment). I agree with other reviewers - you will not have any time to do anything else during this bootcamp.

Within 2 weeks after graduation I ended up getting an excellent job offer and although I just started I can tell that my Software Guild education will serve me well in this job.

The instructor in Minneapolis - Michael Gaffney - was excellent. He was very patient and very knowledgeable. The split of lecture/lab time was good - there was plenty of time to work on Pair Programming (or Group Programming) projects in class. But I also needed lots of time outside of class to work on individual exerices / projects. You should plan to spend about 20 hours per week outside of class working on projects. Some could certainly get by with less but I would not count on being able to do a part-time job while taking this class.

I was especially impressed with the tools we were using in class. The company I'm with is using the exact same Collaboration / Source Code Management tools. And the emphasis on "Agile Development" in class is also very impressive. That's one of the first things my Project Manager friend complemented.

I had IT experience but not in object-oriented programming. So this class was very challenging for me even thought I had some experience. It might actually be easier to learn OO programming if you haven't done other types.

The support given to us - by the Instructor, the TAs, the Career Services expert, and the administrative staff was superb. And it's a very good sign that we're still a part of The Guild even though our Cohort is over. Overall - I was impressed that The Software Guild delivered exactly what it promised and enabled me to land an excellent job in IT Development.

Software Guild Outcomes

Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 44 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.