software-guild-logo

Software Guild

Software Guild

The Software Guild offers immersive full-time, online, 12-week or part-time, 10 to 14-month coding bootcamps. Courses focus on .NET/C# and Java and do a deep dive into the language fundamentals, server side, data tier, user interface, and tools. Software Guild focuses on .NET/C# and Java because those stacks are stable, proven, and in highest demand in the enterprise. The Software Guild takes driven beginners, or more experienced students passionate about development, and prepares them to compete for jobs as professional developers.

Prospective applicants must fill out an application, complete an admissions interview, take an aptitude assessment, and complete Software Guild’s Introduction to Web Development. The Software Guild looks for applicants who are self-starters with high levels of motivation and tenacity who know when to ask for help, work well with others, keep positive attitudes in the face of adversity, love learning and problem-solving, and are excited to build cool new things.

Recent Software Guild Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (157) reviews for Software Guild →

Recent Software Guild News

Read all (56) articles about Software Guild →
  • Java

AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, Java, JavaScript, jQuery, MySQL
    Start Date September 06, 2021
    Our 12-week Java coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with an average of over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code ’
    September 06, 2021 - Online Apply by August 20, 2021
    October 04, 2021 - Online Apply by September 17, 2021
  • .NET/C#

C#, CSS, HTML, .NET
    Start Date September 06, 2021
    Our 12-week .NET/C# coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code’
    September 06, 2021 - Online Apply by August 20, 2021
    October 04, 2021 - Online Apply by September 17, 2021
  • Alumni
    - 7/29/2017
    Ben Rinehart • Software Developer • Graduate

This course is not for the faint of heart or for people who will not invest everything you have into it. You DEFINITELY get what you put into it.

I took a huge gamble with the Software Guild and it has paid back in dividends. I was initially a bit terrified/excited when I chose to quit my full time job in the transportation industry, drop ~$10k and attend an INTENSIVE 12 week bootcamp.

The way that the in person program is structured is that they introduce concepts to you in a flipped classroom structure, then use in-person instruction time to build on the videos and readings from the night before. The instructors are top-notch. Seriously. . .  the absolute best. They go out of their way to work with you to make sure you are keeping up with the class or if there is an area where you are clearly strong or ahead of the class they will offer further resources and suggestions to deepen your knowledge of that topic.

I think that the way that they use measured pain-points in the assessments to introduce learning under pressure REALLY WORKS. I can tell you that there are times in this course that made me almost break down and cry but then they introduce a bit of relief in the form of a little less work or a change of topic. Additionally the whole course, though seeming disjointed at times, builds upon that material learned before. This very meticulous structure helps you to retain your knowledge better than I have been able to retain anything from my 4 year university degree.

The job support you receive and the interview prep is stellar. BEFORE I even graduated, I was entertaining 2 offers and had gone on 4 second interviews.

Bottom line: If you are willing to invest not only your money but 100% of your effort into this course, it will pay off in dividends. Trust the course, the instructors, and those who put together the curriculum. They really know what they are doing.

- 4/14/2017
    Mihaela Ilie

Before I started this bootcamp I researched a lot and after all the reviews and the policies and their methods, this is one of the top software bootcamps in USA. I strongly recommend.
    I was able to gain a solid base of OOP programming and SQL but the most important is the practical knowledge that can be applied early in the market. Don't expect it to be easy. But if you work hard their method is definetly working and was tested on almost 500 graduates. I got a job offer in week 11 of the bootcamp and all the effort paid off.

• .NET Apprentice
    - 4/14/2017
    Daniel Eckberg • Graduate

Attending The Software Guild was one of the most rewarding decisions of my life. I was definitely very nervous going in. I started in the online program and switched to the Akron in person cohort. The benefit of having other students in to directly bounce ideas off of and hear the questions they may ask the instructors that you might not have thought of was great.

The instructors are more than willing to help you suceed and point you in the right direction without giving you outright the answer. It's all about teaching you how to think like a programmer and ultimately learn how to research to solve the problem. I was able to obtain a position of a Database Analyst the last week of the bootcamp.

Bottom line be ready to put in the work and take advantage of all the resources available to you(the instructors, open office hours, fellow students, and former guildees on slack.

• CONFIRMED LEGIT
    - 4/13/2017
    Tim H • Student

The Software Guild is intense but extremely rewarding nonetheless. What you get is what you get out. Despite this being a back-end - focused bootcamp, I have a front-end job lined up for me, and this is one day before even graduating.

I have never learned so much in so little time, and never thought I could until I challenged myself to do so by applying here. This program will prepare you to be compatible with the modern programming career field without everything that is foundational that is included in a traditional CS degree. Of course, if you want to learn more about such, that is up to your discretion, and will only help you. But be sure to have a balance between your classwork and doing so.

I highly recommend this program. It is a very casual setting but despite that, I have been able to learn and overcome so much. It's alleviating that way. But you can do it. I will be telling all my friends about how I was able to get into the programming career field because of the program, my classmates, and my instructor Pat, with all of their help.

• Robert M. • Software Developer Apprentice • Graduate

I came across The Software Guild when looking to pursue a career in software development. I had been self teaching myself web development in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript for about a year prior to attending the guild. The pre-work and audition process was pretty easy for me based on my prior learning, and I think it is a great way to feel out if a student will be able to handle the program.

The amount of information you learn, is definitely a lot. It is not so much that it is not manageable, however. You will need to make use of your non-classroom time to do further studying and self work. The instructors are available in person to you between 9AM-4PM at the Akron location, with further Open Office hours available after hours via screen share.

The skills I learned at The Software Guild, along with the skills I had previously learned were crucial in acquiring a job at the company that was my first choice. Though there was some overlap if you have prior basic coding knowledge, you will still learn best practices and then blast into the unknown. A great benefit of the in-person cohort that I attended was the people that I met and collaborated with daily. It is super helpful to have classmates to bounce ideas off of and troubleshoot issues with.

I would recommend The Software Guild to anyone who knows that they can learn quickly, are willing to put in extra hours when something doesn't make sense, and are passionate about achieving a career as a developer.

• Mark D'Andrea • Student

The software guild provides a great environment for learning. I am constantly surrounded by intelligent people that I can converse with and relate to. Even though the course load is vigorous, it is made enjoyable because of the positive and friendly attitudes of the teachers and students. My instructor, Pat Toner, always asks if I am experiencing any problems. He also helps me in understanding concepts so I have the proper tools to solve problems on my own. This is a very hands on program. If you are strong willed and put in the effort, you will succeed.

• Mike Chow • Student

A very intensive, challenging and yet enjoyable 12-month experience that can carry you from zero to employable.

Make no mistakes you will receive what you put in.   Be sure to work really hard and follow the system and be professional.   At the end of the cohort, you will be equipped with all the knowledge to be hired.

Most of my classmates got offers by the end of the cohort, and I would say the high placement rate advertised by the Guild is definitely true.

However, you will need to be prepared before you come to the cohort.  Once you're behind the material there's basically no time to catch up, as the process moves extremely fast.  We started with 12 people and only 9 remained at the end.

Overall 5 out of 5 all the way.

• Dave O'Keeffe • Student

The software guild provides exactly what is described on the web site, a fully immersive program that can take apprentices with little to no experience and turn them into employable developers in just 12 weeks, I had a great time at the guild and walk away with a great skill and an opportunity for a great career. The knowledge at the guild is vast and their willingness to help and provide feedback to students is great and makes for nice work environment.

• Chris Andrews • Developer I • Graduate

I attended the January 2017 Cohort at The Software Guild in Akron, OH. Was it perfect ? No. Was it one of the better decisions of my life ? Probably.  Would I come here again and do it all over from scratch ? Absolutely.

I went in with a solid understanding of OOP concepts and ability to make simple apps in Java. The first few weeks were a good refresher, but once we got into design, testing, and building applications of substantial size I really began to appreciate everything the guild was offering. Pat Toner was our instructor and he was, as others have said, a Java ninja, but more than that he was a really personable teacher who was as engaging as he was knowledgeable (if not a bit snarky)! I would have liked more lecture time, but part of the guild is learning how to learn when it comes to programming and doing things on your own. The second part of the course covered web applications with Java and the presentation of the material and the flow was, for the most part, great. Being able to go from simple console apps to dynamically created and updating web apps is kind of unreal, given the time span in which we were able to do it.

I came in expecting to learn a ton of stuff that wasn't readily available online (design patterns, workplace norms, test driven design) and become employable. I'm happy to say that both these goal were accomplished. You definitely get out what you put in and the more time you have to dedicate yourself to these 12 weeks, the better you'll probably do. I would have liked the pacing of the course to be different / better at times and I would have liked more time with some of the meatier concepts (security, REST web services), but given the timing, some topics had to be introduced and then we had to move on.

I'm quite happy with my time here, I came out of the guild with a job, I was able to develop apps for both the guild coursework and for myself and I learned so much that will help me (I feel) transition to a real world environment.

• Paul • Student

It's a good learning experience. From knowing nothing to knowing something. Before I attended, there is a month and a half worth of prework on HTML, CSS, minor JavaScript, and basic computer stuff. As I am writing this review, I only have one day left of class. Now I can say I am a full-stack developer. I will be always be tightening up my skills. I would attend this if you are a quick learner and highly motivated to get a job in the software industry. It's not for everyone, so think about it closely before investing time and money into this. I think I have learned alot, and it was good for me.

• Cory • Graduate

If you're on the fence about bootcamps in general or which bootcamp you would like to attend I just want you to know that The Software Guild is worth it.  The course is difficult but has structure so your able to build on the knowledge you gain.  I know multiple people from my class that  secured jobs even before they gradutated which is a testimate to the structure of the program.  The results for the guild speak for themself (linked below).  The short version of what really could be a long review is this, the program is worth it.

• Best Decision Ever
    - 4/13/2017
    Steven Luangrath • software developer • Student

The Software guild has been a wonderful experience for me. I came here with almost no knowledge of computer software or anything related having spent the last 10 years in the service industry as a bartender. I heard about software bootcamps from a family member and decided to look some up, it was hard to decide which one to go with since their are so many out there. After doing some research i decided to go with the software guild because of all the great reviews i read. Im 100 percent glad that i decided to do this, it was difficult but not impossible. You really get out what you put into it. For 3 months you will eat sleep and breathe code, at times it will be frustrating but know that everyone is in the same boat as you and dont be afraid to ask questions.

My time at the software guild was an amazing time and ive built life long friends and relationships here. The staff was awesome, I did the JAVA cohort and it was a blast. Patrick Toner was a heck of a teacher and was very knowledgable about all topics. He never spoon fed us information and always pointed us in the right direction in search of the correct solution to a problem.I would take this course over again for the simple fact that the man is incredibly smart and made the class fun. We spent alot of time doing projects and working in a team environment. I feel like it really mimicked what a real work experience is going to be like.

In weeks 6-7 i began putting together a resume and portfolio of projects i did and started putting out feelers, by the end of week 8 i had a job lined up. In week 10 we had an employer event where all the companies in the guild network show up and have 15 minute interviews with the apprentices. Matt Lopiccolo is the man in charge of the akron area job recruitment/search and he did a heck of a job making sure everyone was prepared for interviews and such. We're now in week 12 and almost everyone has accepted a job offer or has offers on the table.

If youre thinking about attending this bootcamp i would highly recommend it!!!

Software Guild Outcomes

92% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 35 graduates included in report:

90% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.