software-guild-logo

Software Guild

Akron, Atlanta, Louisville, Minneapolis, Online

Software Guild

The Software Guild offers immersive full-time, 12-week or part-time, 10 to 14-month coding bootcamps in Louisville, KY, Minneapolis, MN, and online. Courses focus on .NET/C# and Java and do a deep dive into the language fundamentals, server side, data tier, user interface, and tools. Software Guild focuses on .NET/C# and Java because those stacks are stable, proven, and in highest demand in the enterprise. The Software Guild takes driven beginners, or more experienced students passionate about development, and prepares them to compete for jobs as professional developers.

Prospective applicants must fill out an application, complete an admissions interview, take an aptitude assessment, and complete Software Guild’s Introduction to Web Development. The Software Guild looks for applicants who are self-starters with high levels of motivation and tenacity who know when to ask for help, work well with others, keep positive attitudes in the face of adversity, love learning and problem-solving, and are excited to build cool new things.

Recent Software Guild Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (147) reviews for Software Guild →

Recent Software Guild News

Read all (47) articles about Software Guild →
  • Java

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java
    LocationMinneapolis, Louisville, Atlanta
    Our 12-week Java coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with an average of over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms in Louisville or Minneapolis. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code ’
  • Java - Online

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java
    Earn coding badges online and learn Java one skillset at a time with The Software Guild’s online Java badge program. The online badge program is ideal for those who want to learn the skills necessary for entry-level software development jobs, but who cannot commit to the immersive, full-time on-ground program. Begin with the Level 1 Badge to learn programming basics in Java. After earning your first badge, you’ll have a new credential for your resume and LinkedIn profile. But don’t stop there - earn all four badges to develop full-stack skills that can launch your coding career. You can obtain all four badges in as fast as 10 months or take a brief break between badges. This flexible schedule helps you keep your job while you learn to code.
    Deposit$125 registration fee
    Tuition PlansPay-as-you-learn; tuition per badge
  • .NET/C#

HTML, C#, .NET, CSS
    LocationMinneapolis, Louisville, Atlanta
    Our 12-week .NET/C# coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms in Louisville or Minneapolis. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code’
  • .NET/C# Online

HTML, C#, .NET, CSS
    Earn coding badges online and learn .NET/C# one skillset at a time with The Software Guild’s online .NET/C# badge program. The online badge program is ideal for those who want to learn the skills necessary for entry-level software development jobs, but who cannot commit to the immersive, full-time on-ground program. Begin with the Level 1 Badge to learn programming basics in .NET/C#. After earning your first badge, you’ll have a new credential for your resume and LinkedIn profile. But don’t stop there - earn all four badges to develop full-stack skills that can launch your coding career. You can obtain all four badges in as fast as 10 months or take a brief break between badges. This flexible schedule helps you keep your job while you learn to code.
    Tuition PlansPay-as-you-learn; tuition per badge
  • Thaddeus Ducker • Front End Web Developer • Graduate

I leaned everything I needed to know and be successful in my field. I went from having a job before the Software Guild, and now I have a career I am proud of! I couldn't have done it without the instructors and staff who really care about the students and help push the student to strive for success!

• Anthony Rich • Applications Developer I • Graduate

Attending the Software Guild was easily the best decision I've ever made.  It allowed me to change my career path entirely in under 4 months. I honestly did not believe it was possible. Don't get me wrong, it was easily the most challenging and frustrating 12 weeks of my life, but I would do it over in a heartbeat.

The Software Guild not only gave me a strong foundation in OOP programming and SQL, but it taught me how to think logically through problem-solving. I really appreciated that we were not spoon fed information, but rather forced to discover our own solutions by way of teamwork and personal research. This skill has already proven to be valuable in my professional career.

If a career in programming is your end goal than the Software Guild is a great option. I received multiple job offers before the cohort was complete. A job is not guaranteed but they'll provide you will all the tools and support you'd need to get an offer. You'll get as much out of this program as you are willing to put in.

I would highly recommend taking a cohort taught by Pat Toner if you're interested in learning Java.

• Joseph Rohwer • Software Engineer • Graduate

Went right out of high school with no job or programming experience. Less than two months after graduating I was able to land a Software Engineering role that I absolutely love. The Software Guild taught me how to learn and it laid a sturdy foundation to grow from. I highly recommend this boot camp to anyone looking to get into the software industry.

• Alumni
    - 7/29/2017
    Ben Rinehart • Software Developer • Graduate

This course is not for the faint of heart or for people who will not invest everything you have into it. You DEFINITELY get what you put into it.

I took a huge gamble with the Software Guild and it has paid back in dividends. I was initially a bit terrified/excited when I chose to quit my full time job in the transportation industry, drop ~$10k and attend an INTENSIVE 12 week bootcamp.

The way that the in person program is structured is that they introduce concepts to you in a flipped classroom structure, then use in-person instruction time to build on the videos and readings from the night before. The instructors are top-notch. Seriously. . .  the absolute best. They go out of their way to work with you to make sure you are keeping up with the class or if there is an area where you are clearly strong or ahead of the class they will offer further resources and suggestions to deepen your knowledge of that topic.

I think that the way that they use measured pain-points in the assessments to introduce learning under pressure REALLY WORKS. I can tell you that there are times in this course that made me almost break down and cry but then they introduce a bit of relief in the form of a little less work or a change of topic. Additionally the whole course, though seeming disjointed at times, builds upon that material learned before. This very meticulous structure helps you to retain your knowledge better than I have been able to retain anything from my 4 year university degree.

The job support you receive and the interview prep is stellar. BEFORE I even graduated, I was entertaining 2 offers and had gone on 4 second interviews.

Bottom line: If you are willing to invest not only your money but 100% of your effort into this course, it will pay off in dividends. Trust the course, the instructors, and those who put together the curriculum. They really know what they are doing.

- 4/14/2017
    Mihaela Ilie

Before I started this bootcamp I researched a lot and after all the reviews and the policies and their methods, this is one of the top software bootcamps in USA. I strongly recommend.
    I was able to gain a solid base of OOP programming and SQL but the most important is the practical knowledge that can be applied early in the market. Don't expect it to be easy. But if you work hard their method is definetly working and was tested on almost 500 graduates. I got a job offer in week 11 of the bootcamp and all the effort paid off.

• .NET Apprentice
    - 4/14/2017
    Daniel Eckberg • Graduate

Attending The Software Guild was one of the most rewarding decisions of my life. I was definitely very nervous going in. I started in the online program and switched to the Akron in person cohort. The benefit of having other students in to directly bounce ideas off of and hear the questions they may ask the instructors that you might not have thought of was great.

The instructors are more than willing to help you suceed and point you in the right direction without giving you outright the answer. It's all about teaching you how to think like a programmer and ultimately learn how to research to solve the problem. I was able to obtain a position of a Database Analyst the last week of the bootcamp.

Bottom line be ready to put in the work and take advantage of all the resources available to you(the instructors, open office hours, fellow students, and former guildees on slack.

• CONFIRMED LEGIT
    - 4/13/2017
    Tim H • Student

The Software Guild is intense but extremely rewarding nonetheless. What you get is what you get out. Despite this being a back-end - focused bootcamp, I have a front-end job lined up for me, and this is one day before even graduating.

I have never learned so much in so little time, and never thought I could until I challenged myself to do so by applying here. This program will prepare you to be compatible with the modern programming career field without everything that is foundational that is included in a traditional CS degree. Of course, if you want to learn more about such, that is up to your discretion, and will only help you. But be sure to have a balance between your classwork and doing so.

I highly recommend this program. It is a very casual setting but despite that, I have been able to learn and overcome so much. It's alleviating that way. But you can do it. I will be telling all my friends about how I was able to get into the programming career field because of the program, my classmates, and my instructor Pat, with all of their help.

• Robert M. • Software Developer Apprentice • Graduate

I came across The Software Guild when looking to pursue a career in software development. I had been self teaching myself web development in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript for about a year prior to attending the guild. The pre-work and audition process was pretty easy for me based on my prior learning, and I think it is a great way to feel out if a student will be able to handle the program.

The amount of information you learn, is definitely a lot. It is not so much that it is not manageable, however. You will need to make use of your non-classroom time to do further studying and self work. The instructors are available in person to you between 9AM-4PM at the Akron location, with further Open Office hours available after hours via screen share.

The skills I learned at The Software Guild, along with the skills I had previously learned were crucial in acquiring a job at the company that was my first choice. Though there was some overlap if you have prior basic coding knowledge, you will still learn best practices and then blast into the unknown. A great benefit of the in-person cohort that I attended was the people that I met and collaborated with daily. It is super helpful to have classmates to bounce ideas off of and troubleshoot issues with.

I would recommend The Software Guild to anyone who knows that they can learn quickly, are willing to put in extra hours when something doesn't make sense, and are passionate about achieving a career as a developer.

• Mark D'Andrea • Student

The software guild provides a great environment for learning. I am constantly surrounded by intelligent people that I can converse with and relate to. Even though the course load is vigorous, it is made enjoyable because of the positive and friendly attitudes of the teachers and students. My instructor, Pat Toner, always asks if I am experiencing any problems. He also helps me in understanding concepts so I have the proper tools to solve problems on my own. This is a very hands on program. If you are strong willed and put in the effort, you will succeed.

• Mike Chow • Student

A very intensive, challenging and yet enjoyable 12-month experience that can carry you from zero to employable.

Make no mistakes you will receive what you put in.   Be sure to work really hard and follow the system and be professional.   At the end of the cohort, you will be equipped with all the knowledge to be hired.

Most of my classmates got offers by the end of the cohort, and I would say the high placement rate advertised by the Guild is definitely true.

However, you will need to be prepared before you come to the cohort.  Once you're behind the material there's basically no time to catch up, as the process moves extremely fast.  We started with 12 people and only 9 remained at the end.

Overall 5 out of 5 all the way.

• Dave O'Keeffe • Student

The software guild provides exactly what is described on the web site, a fully immersive program that can take apprentices with little to no experience and turn them into employable developers in just 12 weeks, I had a great time at the guild and walk away with a great skill and an opportunity for a great career. The knowledge at the guild is vast and their willingness to help and provide feedback to students is great and makes for nice work environment.

• Chris Andrews • Developer I • Graduate

I attended the January 2017 Cohort at The Software Guild in Akron, OH. Was it perfect ? No. Was it one of the better decisions of my life ? Probably.  Would I come here again and do it all over from scratch ? Absolutely.

I went in with a solid understanding of OOP concepts and ability to make simple apps in Java. The first few weeks were a good refresher, but once we got into design, testing, and building applications of substantial size I really began to appreciate everything the guild was offering. Pat Toner was our instructor and he was, as others have said, a Java ninja, but more than that he was a really personable teacher who was as engaging as he was knowledgeable (if not a bit snarky)! I would have liked more lecture time, but part of the guild is learning how to learn when it comes to programming and doing things on your own. The second part of the course covered web applications with Java and the presentation of the material and the flow was, for the most part, great. Being able to go from simple console apps to dynamically created and updating web apps is kind of unreal, given the time span in which we were able to do it.

I came in expecting to learn a ton of stuff that wasn't readily available online (design patterns, workplace norms, test driven design) and become employable. I'm happy to say that both these goal were accomplished. You definitely get out what you put in and the more time you have to dedicate yourself to these 12 weeks, the better you'll probably do. I would have liked the pacing of the course to be different / better at times and I would have liked more time with some of the meatier concepts (security, REST web services), but given the timing, some topics had to be introduced and then we had to move on.

I'm quite happy with my time here, I came out of the guild with a job, I was able to develop apps for both the guild coursework and for myself and I learned so much that will help me (I feel) transition to a real world environment.

Software Guild Outcomes

Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 44 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.