software-guild-logo

Software Guild

Software Guild

The Software Guild offers immersive full-time, online, 12-week or part-time, 10 to 14-month coding bootcamps. Courses focus on .NET/C# and Java and do a deep dive into the language fundamentals, server side, data tier, user interface, and tools. Software Guild focuses on .NET/C# and Java because those stacks are stable, proven, and in highest demand in the enterprise. The Software Guild takes driven beginners, or more experienced students passionate about development, and prepares them to compete for jobs as professional developers.

Prospective applicants must fill out an application, complete an admissions interview, take an aptitude assessment, and complete Software Guild’s Introduction to Web Development. The Software Guild looks for applicants who are self-starters with high levels of motivation and tenacity who know when to ask for help, work well with others, keep positive attitudes in the face of adversity, love learning and problem-solving, and are excited to build cool new things.

Recent Software Guild Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (152) reviews for Software Guild →

Recent Software Guild News

Read all (55) articles about Software Guild →
  • Java

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java
    Start Date July 12, 2021
    Our 12-week Java coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with an average of over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code ’
    July 12, 2021 - Online Apply by June 25, 2021
    August 9, 2021 - Online Apply by July 23, 2021
    September 6, 2021 - Online Apply by August 20, 2021
  • .NET/C#

HTML, C#, .NET, CSS
    Start Date July 12, 2021
    Our 12-week .NET/C# coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code’
    July 12, 2021 - Online Apply by June 25, 2021
    August 9, 2021 - Online Apply by July 23, 2021
    September 6, 2021 - Online Apply by August 20, 2021
  • Java Apprentice
    - 12/1/2017
    Brandon Kervin • Student

The Software Guild is a fast paced and rewarding program. In the short 3 months that you have classes for, you learn all the fundementals of Java or C# along with popular frameworks like Spring and jQuery.

The first two weeks of the course introduces the basics of object-oriented programming and the instructors do a very good job of making sure that you are up to pace.

The next month of the course speeds up quite a bit and you begin to learn a lot about building full-scale console applications using Tiered Application Design and the MVC model along with setting up file persistence.

Passing the halfway point of the class, you begin to start tying Spring into your previous projects and build full-scale web applications. The course begins to introduce MySQL to save data and create database tables. You also get introduced to frontend design a little bit with HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery and Bootstrap. With all of this going on, you also get to work on your resume and interviewing skills 1on1 with the employing manager at the Guild.

Towards the end of the course, a speed interview day comes up where plenty of employers come in over two days and you get an opportunity to get hired by the time of graduation.

Throughout the 3 months, you work with very interactive instructors that have a passion for programming and will go the extra mile to make sure that you understand what is going on. They are constantly learning the latest technologies and will introduce them to the class whenever there is time to do so. All in all, this course is a great opportunity for anyone that is looking to break into the IT industry as quick as possible while being very confident in their abilities to be a successfull worker.

• Kyle Malone • Software Engineer • Graduate

My personal experience with The Software Guild: Louisville was an extremely pleasant and successful one! There is a short period leading up to the cohort where you will have to complete tasks that should prepare you for some portions of the actual course, and give you an idea of if it's really something that you're interested in. This portion for me mostly involved using HTML and Javascript to create simple webpages. While we didn't get to web design until late in the cohort, it was definitely useful learning experience that stuck with me until I needed it again.

The cohort itself begins at a relatively comfortable pace, spending the 8 hour day getting familiar with the very fundamental aspects of the language and programming in general. There are basic exercises that we worked through that I would compare to workbook assignments in school. Somewhat repetitive, but really solidified the knowledge and gave us a good leg to stand on throughout the rest of the course. It should be noted that a couple of students dropped out during this introductory part of the course, as they realized that the pacing was a bit too much for them. I think where myself and the others had an advantage was from doing independent learning prior to the guild so that the skills we were working on weren't entirely foreign.

The rest of the 3 month course was divided up into a few different projects that continuously expand on our previous skills, and each one presented a new challenge. I was later able to put these projects on my resume, as they clearly defined specific skills that I used to complete them. If any of us ever got ahead enough, the instructor would give us additional work to do in the form of refactoring our code or adding more functionality to our projects. If we ever got stuck, the instructor was very easy to approach and spent one on one time with us until we felt we were at a place where we could proceed. The small class size (which continued to grow smaller as the course progressed, it is a bootcamp after all!) really helped to allow us each to have plenty of time with the instructor.

When it came time to start looking for positions, I had an opportunity arise about a month before the course was scheduled to end. The Software Guild provided lots of helpful resources for me to really nail my phone interview, and was constantly following up to check on my progress. I and 3 of my classmates each had a job nailed down before the course was even over!

The best thing about the Guild for me was that I never felt overwhelmed at any point time-wise. I was still able to separate my school life and class life, and could have easily worked a part time job during the cohort had I wished to do so. Again, I spent plenty of time researching and learning on my own before the Guild started, so I was definitely at an advantage, and would recommend this approach to anyone else considering a bootcamp.

I took the C#/.NET course from the Guild, but actually ended up taking a Java position. The Software Guild allowed me to access all of the Java course materials in order to help me get acclimated. I've now been at my job for about 7 months and although I don't have all of the formal knowledge for every task I am assigned, the Software Guild prepared me enough to be able to problem solve and learn what I need to in order to be an efficient worker and an asset to my team. If you are considering taking a bootcamp and you are near one of the Software Guild locations, I highly recommend it!

• Greg Tiu • SQL Developer • Graduate

I was unhappy with the jobs I held prior and wanted to pursue something that I enjoyed. However, I did not have any skills that stood out on my resume to get to where I wanted to go. I took a risk and signed up for the Software Guild. Previously, I always thought programming was a difficult field where only top students could be succesful. I did not pursue CS in college because of this thought. Reading online that people were taking these bootcamps and getting jobs shortly after three months of training, I decided to go for it.

It was a lot of hard work and late nights but it was totally worth it. I found myself really enjoying the projects, when I got something to work it was like solving a puzzle in a video game. I was able to land a job after graduating due to SG having a really great Career Counselor. He was able to get a lot of companies to come in and interview all of us on multiple occasions. I landed more interviews within the last month of the cohort than I had ever had in my whole life. My salary is the highest I have ever had and I enjoy coming to work and working on projects.

I would highly recommend shadowing a class at SG if you are curious. I know a lot of my other friends that I made there would also approve of their experience. If you intend to go to the SG, my tip of advide is be prepared to put in a ton of hours outside class.

• Jessica • Graduate

Deciding to quit my job (that I disliked) and go back to school full time or more like double time was still the best decision I made. I originally applied for an earlier cohort but little did I know, the curriculum was very intense and very fast. There were just a few items that I did not fully comprehend but it was significant enough to not be able to move on. For a few weeks, I studied Java and finally understood the curriculum a bit better. I finished the program in the second attempt and now have a fantastic dream job.

When I tell people that I went to a coding bootcamp, they think it is just a simple online course with a printable certificate. When I told them how hard it was, they were in awe. After being employed and looking back at the curriculum, they are very much on par with what is necessary to have a job as a developer. Not just the languages made you feel prepared, but they also introduced us to certain ways of testing, text editors that are used in professional environments, JIRA, and using repositories. During my employee orientation, I was surrounded by new STEM grads and they did not know anything about coding and were going to have jobs in IT. Being in the program definitely made me realize how far I can push myself to get something accomplished and also just being able to learn something so foreign in a small timeframe. We were in a classroom for 40 hours a week and on top of that about 20-30+ hours of working on projects and learning the material that is going to be taught the next day. So yes, that is a well spent time commitment.

The instructors were very accommodating and quite approachable. Having a classroom be a max size of 18, it felt like the program was more individualized and they cared about each individual student and their progress. Even after graduating they are very helpful with resources. The employment manager has quite a large network of employers so he followed up with every student on their job search every 2 weeks after graduating. I checked out another bootcamp, called Prime Digital Academy but the Software Guild stood out to me. When I went to Prime’s open house, alumni did not emphasize on the curriculum. Instead they spoke about how they learn about communicating effectively. When I spoke to a recruiter at the Guild, she told me “we will teach you to code” and those few words sold me to the program and they sure did!

If I had to go back and do something again, I would have liked to have been told to at least look at the Java language before attending the program. Even though I was already admitted, there was a gap of time where I was waiting for class to start and I could have looked at terms or tutorials online. I do not think that it would have been so foreign if I studied beforehand.

If I had to recommend someone to attend a bootcamp, I would say that someone who just finished high school would not be a great fit. The program is very intense and if they are not motivated to attend college, then I do not think they would be motivated enough to finish the full-time program. It was even more difficult than finishing a bachelor’s degree. Most the students are in their 20s and above.

When getting employed, the statistics are correct for the program but when you are the one experiencing the difficulty of getting your first coding job, it gets frustrating. My cohort ended at the end of July 2017 and I got my offer call in mid to late September. Many people try to go through staffing agencies but entry level developer roles are very hard to come by. Even if the position says 1-2 years of experience, they will not submit your resume because you have no previous coding experience. The employment manager told me that it is not just your background but it also has to be a good match overall (culture fit and technical skills). Luckily, I managed to get hired directly through my employer.

So, to put it simply, I would 100% recommend attending a coding bootcamp and particularly, the Software Guild. Everyone just needs to understand and think about all the variables that could slow you down and if you

• Paul • Software Developer • Graduate

Long story short:

My career path had gotten stale, and it was time for a change.  I'd always had an interest in techonology but figured that since my traditional degree wasn't in Computer Science that those doors were probably closed.  I was mistaken.

Attended the C# Akron cohort in Fall of 2015.  If you've got some aptitude and are ready to really dedicate yourself to heads-down hard work, you'll come out the other side a changed person ready to get to work in the software development industry.

The instructors were excellent from day one, professionals in the industry with a real passion for imparting that knowledge on their students.  This was not a program for the faint of heart -- I've never learned so much in a shorter period of time, but there was always a helping hand waiting when you needed one.

I've been employed in the industry now for over two years, and I've got the folks down at the guild to thank for it.  Don't bother if you're not ready for a serious challenge.  But if you are -- go for it.  Good luck!

• Chaya Sulman • Software Developer • Graduate

I entered The Software Guild having taken some computer science coursework in college and having messed around on my own a lot.  Other people in my cohort had zero experience.  The amazing thing is, we all got so much from the course.  The combination of individual attention (mentors avaiable basically around the clock) and comprehensive course material meant that they received the support they needed as newbies and I was able to go a little beyond.

It is an intense experience, with about 40 hours a week in the classroom and another 40 on your own - but worth every minute and penny.  I have never had an easier job search (multiple offers within 10 days of starting my search), and I have a Guild Community for life.

• Tanner • QA Automation Engineer • Graduate

I attended the Software Guild having no prior coding experience other than taking a few Code Academy courses. I found it difficult to come in with such minimal experience and felt that a number of my classmates were more prepared for the work. I recommend taking a Udemy course on your chosen language prior to attending if you are worried about not being prepared. My classmates and teachers were more than willing to help, however, providing a good learning atmosphere where I felt ok making lots of mistakes.

I found the curriculum to be strong for the first half of the course when we were learning basic coding for console applications, and weaker in the second half learning web applications. The Software Guild did an excellent job preparing students for the job market, with the exception of not providing enough technical interview practice. I landed a good job in QA with a large company that hires a lot of Software Guild graduates, thanks to the Guild's networking event.

Overall the Software Guild was a good experience and enabled me to completely change careers.

• Jocelyn • Graduate

The experience at the Software Guild was great. I learned a TON and the staff was great. Even after my completion of the program they were willing to assist whether it be with a technical question for a project or in looking for employment.

• Ovidiu Simon • Graduate

I had a great time learning how to code at The Software Guild. The instructor was very good and helpful, and the Employee Network Manager (the guy helping you to get a job) was even more helpful, especially since he kept in touch long after I finished the class!

• Michael Johnson • Software Developer • Graduate

I cannot speak highly enough of the training and support I received from The Software Guild. Aside from the rigorous and top-notch training, this bootcamp is like an incredibly tight-knit family--every member of which really wants you to succeed. It was a very challenging program and with that comes mental and physical exhaustion, but I was prepared for coding in the real world and still have support and answers from the crew at Software Guild when I need them. My instructor was invested in my success and encouraged us all when the challenges of the program mounted along the way. As the title says, I have never doubted my choice to attend Software Guild and would recommend it to anyone.

• Rebecca • Software Developer • Graduate

My Story: I quit my job as a Registered Nurse to attend the Software Guild in Minneapolis - Summer 2017 Java cohort. I had little knowledge of programming, besides a couple of classes in college and some HTML/CSS knowledge. Within a 5 weeks of graduation I had three interviews for development positions and started my first job in Software Development - an incredible career change in about five months.

Pros: First of all, The Software Guild has a free, online pre-work course covering HTML, CSS, and some Javascript. This course is a good reflection on whether Software Development is something you might enjoy. It also helps you review (or learn) some of the more simple concepts that the curriculum builds upon, so you can hit the ground running once the bootcamp begins.

Secondly, the curriculum is relevant. I looked into several bootcamps when beginning this process, and the Senior Software Developers that I knew at the time recommended this bootcamp over others, based on the curriculum.

Finally, the staff is really dedicated to make sure your job search goes as well as it can after graduation. Not only do they set you up with speed interviews with companies in the area, but they have staff dedicated to improving your resume and coaching you on how to best get your resume out there and noticed. Not all companies are going to appreciate the bootcamp experience, but The Software Guild has created a good name for itself in the Minneapolis tech scene.

Cons: The curriculum isn't perfect - there are sections that could use improvement, but there are also sections that were great. You will need to do outside research to fully understand some sections, but that is to be expected when learning most things! Also, the instructors and employees are continually responding to student feedback to improve the curriculum.

Overall, I do not regret for a second my decision to attend The Software Guild. The people were fanstastic and the experiecne was life changing.

• Darren Lage • Graduate

I had been trying to learn software development on my own and youtube just wasn't cutting it. I had heard about a free program in town that teaches software development and helps you land a job. The only problem was the incredibly long waiting list and you only met in the class once a week. But right next door was The Software Guild, an everyday for 3 month program that took you from knowing nothing about coding to helping you land your first job! At the time, the price seemed to be a lot but the starting salary for entry-level developers in my field was 5-6x more than the price of the school! I learned a lot of great things and met some great people!

Pro's :
          - A small class size for individualized help
          - Great resources for out of the classroom learning
          - Becoming friends with your classmates and helping each other solve problems
          -Great atmosphere, i never felt like i was going to be judged on my coding ability if it wasn't up to speed with everyone else

Con's:
          -Extremely difficult to work while going to school, make sure you have support while attending.
          -The curriculum moves very fast, you will need to keep up with all of the information in front of you
          -Getting to class by 9am.... I am not a morning person

Overall I had an amazing time and I would go back again if I could! Whenever i talk to someone who is interested in software development, I recommend The Software Guild every single time!!

Software Guild Outcomes

92% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 35 graduates included in report:

90% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.