software-guild-logo

Software Guild

Software Guild

The Software Guild offers immersive full-time, online, 12-week or part-time, 10 to 14-month coding bootcamps. Courses focus on .NET/C# and Java and do a deep dive into the language fundamentals, server side, data tier, user interface, and tools. Software Guild focuses on .NET/C# and Java because those stacks are stable, proven, and in highest demand in the enterprise. The Software Guild takes driven beginners, or more experienced students passionate about development, and prepares them to compete for jobs as professional developers.

Prospective applicants must fill out an application, complete an admissions interview, take an aptitude assessment, and complete Software Guild’s Introduction to Web Development. The Software Guild looks for applicants who are self-starters with high levels of motivation and tenacity who know when to ask for help, work well with others, keep positive attitudes in the face of adversity, love learning and problem-solving, and are excited to build cool new things.

Recent Software Guild Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (152) reviews for Software Guild →

Recent Software Guild News

Read all (54) articles about Software Guild →
  • Java

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java
    Start Date June 14, 2021
    Our 12-week Java coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with an average of over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code ’
    June 14, 2021 - Online Apply by May 28, 2021
    July 12, 2021 - Online Apply by June 25, 2021
    August 9, 2021 - Online Apply by July 23, 2021
  • .NET/C#

HTML, C#, .NET, CSS
    Start Date June 14, 2021
    Our 12-week .NET/C# coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code’
    June 14, 2021 - Online Apply by May 28, 2021
    July 12, 2021 - Online Apply by June 25, 2021
    August 9, 2021 - Online Apply by July 23, 2021
  • Erin Green • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate

My background: I had basically zero experience coding, other than a small amount of self-teaching on my own time for a couple months before discovering the bootcamp online. My background is in Biology, so not AT ALL related. This was a complete 180 degree career change for me.

The Software Guild is amazing and they really have this all figured out. David was our Java instructor and he was incredibly knowledgeable. He spent a ton of his time outside of class to answer any questions we had. I cannot express how hard-working he is and dedicated to getting us all through the program, whatever it took. If we were willing to put in the time and effort he would go above and beyond to provide any help we needed.

If you are going to do this you REALLY need to put in the work, because if you don't, it shows. You cannot coast through it. We lost 5 out of our original 14 throughout the course of the program, mostly because people were not able to meet a couple of the hard deadlines that were set for finishing thier projects. Out of the 9 that made it to the end, only 2 of us finished all of our projects by the last day of class, so many people needed extensions. Those that got extensions have had a harder time finding jobs because they first need to focus on finishing the course right now, rather than spending all of their energy on their job search. It is important that you are able to drop any distractions for these 12 weeks, because staying up to speed is paramount to your success. Many people were not able to do it, but if you are able to get through, it will be worth it, trust me.

Throughout the program, Kipp, the employer network manager, goes above and beyond to make sure people get jobs. He is incredibly knowledgeable about resumes, working with recruiters, networking, etc. and he does quite a few presentations and one-on-one meetings to prepare us for success in our job search. If you follow his steps you will get a job! I was able to find one within about a week and a half of graduating thanks to his help navigating. It was the speed interviews that ended up getting me most of my leads for interviews, and ultimately my job after the program, so I recommend taking those very seriously.

My one qualm is that I wish the bootcamp were actually 16 weeks instead of 12. It all worked out well in the end and I learned an INSANE amount in 12 weeks, but I think having an extra few weeks to dive even deeper into some of the topics would be helpful. I felt that a few things slipped through the cracks a bit and would have required more time to truly gain an understanding.

All in all, this was one of the best decisions I have made in my life so far. I do not regret my decision to quit my decent job in a veterinary lab to make this huge life change. It may be a lot of money, but if you can swing it I recommend making this investment in yourself. 100% worth it!

• Richard • Junior Developer .Net • Graduate

The Software Guild is a good school.

While the nature of code camps may prevent them from being able to dive into some topics in as much depth as a college, the work and practice itself will ensure you thoroughly understand what you've learned.

In terms of staff everyone, not just the teachers, were incredibly kind and helpful at all times. They went out of their way to help students whether it came to coursework or job assistance.

The main warning I'd have is that the course itself is very challenging. The time and effort required will demand a lot of you. So, as a note, make sure you are ready to sacrifice any regular plans you have if you sign up.

Overall, it is worth it and I'd certainly highly recommend it.

• Software Guild Java
    - 10/12/2018
    Jared • Java Software Developer • Graduate

My experience at the Software Guild was nothing but positive. The instructor (Kyle) was engaging, knowlegeable, and brought real-world industry experience into the classroom. The employment specialist (Kip) also brings ample experience as a successful recruiter to his role. In addition to preparing you to market yourself to get a job after graduation, he set up several pre-graduation interviews with established companies in the region: I was offered, and accepted a job prior to graduating, as did over half of my class. After working as a software developer for 3+ months, I feel adequately prepared by the software guild to meet expectations in my job.

• Becky Sargent • Software Developer • Graduate

Intense program, with great teachers that makes you 100% prepared for a job as a software developer.

• Graduate
    - 12/4/2017
    Jared • IT Specialist • Graduate

I loved every minute of The Software Guild. While the course was very challenging, as advertised, the instructors were extremely helpful and encouraging. The flipped classroom approach was extremely effective, and the instructors answered my many, many questions in a way that took me from confused to competent in no time. I even got a job through one of the interviews that The Guild arranged. 11/10 would recommend.

• John • Software Developer • Graduate

As a Software Guild (GoForCode - Java Full Stack) graduate, I look fondly back at my experience while in the program.   Prepare to be fully immersed in the program, as you will not only be learning during class time, but also after class and on the weekends too.   The instructors are very knowledgeable and are able to answer your questions any time.   You are also supported by Slack chat rooms where other instructors will be there to help you out too.   While the course is not easy and is very demanding, you'll be proud that you completed the course and will be qualified to work as a Jr. level software developer.   It defintely helped me to further my career at my current job and I look forward to what might happen after I get a year of coding under my belt.  The possibilities are endless!

• Developer
    Swathi Satty • Graduate

Went into the course with programming knowledge in C++ but not much in Java. This course is very fast paced but equally interactive so you're always actively developing as you're learning, which I find to be the best approach to learn material of this caliber. The after hours were very helpful as well; helped greatly with lab work and any clarifications I needed from the cirriculum. Overall, a worthwhile experience for a relatively low price!

• David Crockett • Software Developer • Graduate

I don't typically leave reviews, but I feel like this place deserves one. It is truly amazing. The instructors are very knowledgable, Corbin alone had over 15 years of coding experience. The curriculum is mainly videos and reading, along with some exercises. You're expected to come to class with any questions from the lessons you studied the night before. This is called a flipped classroom, and it's fairly effective. The morning consists of questions, and the afternoon you're expected to code and work on exercises before heading home.

It is a lot of work, there's no doubt about it. But it is manageable. You need to come here with the mindset that this will take your full attention every single day. Over the weekend you'll be assigned various coding projects. You're expected to turn this in Monday for code review. The projects can be tricky, especially when you're just learning the concepts, but it teaches you some valuable lessons. You must be able to learn on your own. That isn't to say the instructors won't help you if you need it, but you will be mainly relying on yourself to figure out problems.The only issue I really had with the program were the quizzes. They were pretty atrocious, but they aren't counted towards your grade, plus I think they're getting revamped soon.

Anyways, overall it was a fantastic experience. And yes, I actually got a job thanks to the Software Guild. So it's a success, and if you're thinking about attending but aren't sure it works, use me as proof. I had absolutely no knowledge of coding before I graduated. Even after graduation you can keep in touch with classmates and instructors via Slack, they're always available if you need help. Great job Software Guild, keep up the good work.

• Software Developer
    William • Software Developer • Graduate

Great curriculum, learned a great deal about development.  They prepare you well to enter the work force as a developer in a short period of time.  The employer network is very strong and I was able to find work within 90 days of graduation.  The Instructors are extrememly hands on and helpful explaining problems and how you might solve them.  I had a very positive experience with the Software Guild and feel it was well worth the investment.

• Edgar Daniel L. Moso • Graduate

My time in the Software Guild has been a really great experience. I enrolled on the Java Full-Stack Web development side of the bootcamp because I wanted to know more about Java and what I can do with it. I really don't have anything bad to say about the bootcamp because in my opinion everything was really great. I met a lot of knowledgeable, great people with different backgrounds and I was able to learn and develop both in social and technical aspect of things. My instructor was great too (Austyn Hill). Like all the instructors in the SG, she was knowledgeable on the discipline, caring, and really helpful. She has continued to do so, even after the bootcamp. Everything about the bootcamp prepares you what's out there and how to tackle it, regarding Software Development, or anything of the sort.

• Heather Prokasky • Application Engineer • Graduate

I went to the Software Guild in Minneapolis.  I was completely new to programming and am married to a 15+ year programming. I have always been techie, but had not done any programming since I was a kid with my Apple II+.

I was blown away by what I learned at The Software Guild.  It was so much more indepth than I expected.  I thought I was just going to learn Java, but we learned HTML, CSS, SQL and Java as well as how everything works from A to Z.  We learned about things like MVC, AJAX, JSON, Javascript and security. We created console applications, mvc applications, web applications and database applications.  It is not a course where you just read a book and listen to a lecture.  There are indepth assignments that are the practical application of the material covered.

We worked on individual and groups projects, because that is how programming is in the real world.  I appreciated that they emphasized how important testing is because testing is necessary in the real world. My husband was constantly amazed at how comprehensive the course was and how fast we went through it.

The teachers were outstanding and were always available to help.  There were in person and online resources to assist you in addition to the instructors.  Classmates were also a great reource.  The instructors were relatable and very knowledgable and fun!

The Software Guild also has resources and guidance for finding your career after bootcamp. They provided resume writing and review, practice interviews and speed interviews.  About 1/2 of our class got positions from the speed interviews and I had a position within a few weeks of completing the bootcamp.

I won't lie, the bootcamp is intense (60-70 hours a week) and can feel overwhelming due to the rapid pace, but the resources are there to help you out and you can do it.  If I can do it anyone can.

• Keep your money
    Richard Kuhn • Student
    I attended the very first cohort of The Software Guild's Java program in Minneapolis.  It was a complete and total waste of TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS that I can never get back.

That class went for 12 weeks. 8 hours a day. 5 days a week.  I learned basic JAVA, and absolutely no one cares.

In case you're bad at math, that's 480 hours of "instruction", sitting in a classroom with an instructor who also had no idea what he was doing.  I would say that 30% of my time there was spent watching my instructor trying to figure out how to use the software that he was supposed to be teaching us with.

I have since learned more about Java online, for free, utilizing Code Academy and Udemy.  All you have to do is apply those same hours to an online course, and you can save yourself TEN  THOUSAND DOLLARS.

There was no instruction at all about Spring, or code review.  Every interview I had after that class was an embarrassment.  I had absolutely no idea how to be valuable in the workforce.  I have since self-taught myself in multiple aspects of coding, but nothing that came from that class was worth one penny.  Nothing from that class contained even a hint of value.

If you're reading this, do yourself a favor.  Learn basic Java online.  For free.  And then put together a portfolio of projects that you can show what you did, and why you did it.  No one who does any hiring cares one bit about this rip-off class.  Show your skills and your thought process in an interview, and you can move forward.  This class is like going to DeVry.  Worthless.

And then take your TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS, and invest it wisely.  Your payoff will be much better
    Response From: Erin Frazier of Software Guild
    Title: Director of Operations
    Tuesday, Dec 05 2017
    Thank you for your feedback. We regret that your experience did not meet your expectations. We do take all reviews seriously and continually look for opportunities to improve the learning experience at The Software Guild and ultimately the outcomes of our students.

We understand your frustration, however all program assignments are code reviewed, and we encourage students to ask questions and get clarification if they are ever concerned.

The Software Guild has a wealth of resources available to anyone who takes our program including extensive support for graduates who may struggle to find employment. These include additional time and practice with interviewing techniques, resume reviews, additional project work to make graduates more comfortable with their skills and fill out their code portfolio, to even a free repeat of the whole program if it is deemed necessary.

These resources are still available to you, if you choose to use them, please reach out to Erin Frazier at efrazier@thesoftwareguild.com or your Employer Network Manager directly to reengage. I strongly encourage you to take advantage of them if you are still looking for work.

Software Guild Outcomes

Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 44 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.