software-guild-logo

Software Guild

Akron, Atlanta, Louisville, Minneapolis, Online

Software Guild

The Software Guild offers immersive full-time, 12-week or part-time, 10 to 14-month coding bootcamps in Louisville, KY, Minneapolis, MN, and online. Courses focus on .NET/C# and Java and do a deep dive into the language fundamentals, server side, data tier, user interface, and tools. Software Guild focuses on .NET/C# and Java because those stacks are stable, proven, and in highest demand in the enterprise. The Software Guild takes driven beginners, or more experienced students passionate about development, and prepares them to compete for jobs as professional developers.

Prospective applicants must fill out an application, complete an admissions interview, take an aptitude assessment, and complete Software Guild’s Introduction to Web Development. The Software Guild looks for applicants who are self-starters with high levels of motivation and tenacity who know when to ask for help, work well with others, keep positive attitudes in the face of adversity, love learning and problem-solving, and are excited to build cool new things.

Recent Software Guild Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (141) reviews for Software Guild →

Recent Software Guild News

Read all (45) articles about Software Guild →
  • Java

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java
    Minneapolis, Louisville, Atlanta
    Our 12-week Java coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with an average of over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms in Louisville or Minneapolis. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through Skills Fund and Climb
    Refund yes, Guarantee no
    The Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code ’
  • Java - Online

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java
    November 4, 2019
    Earn coding badges online and learn Java one skillset at a time with The Software Guild’s online Java badge program. The online badge program is ideal for those who want to learn the skills necessary for entry-level software development jobs, but who cannot commit to the immersive, full-time on-ground program. Begin with the Level 1 Badge to learn programming basics in Java. After earning your first badge, you’ll have a new credential for your resume and LinkedIn profile. But don’t stop there - earn all four badges to develop full-stack skills that can launch your coding career. You can obtain all four badges in as fast as 10 months or take a brief break between badges. This flexible schedule helps you keep your job while you learn to code.
    $125 registration fee
    Skillsfund and Climb
    Pay-as-you-learn; tuition per badge
    November 4, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 18, 2019
    December 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by November 15, 2019
  • .NET/C#

HTML, C#, .NET, CSS
    Minneapolis, Louisville, Atlanta
    Our 12-week .NET/C# coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms in Louisville or Minneapolis. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Skills Fund and Climb
    Refund yes, Guarantee no
    The Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code’
  • .NET/C# Online

HTML, C#, .NET, CSS
    November 4, 2019
    Earn coding badges online and learn .NET/C# one skillset at a time with The Software Guild’s online .NET/C# badge program. The online badge program is ideal for those who want to learn the skills necessary for entry-level software development jobs, but who cannot commit to the immersive, full-time on-ground program. Begin with the Level 1 Badge to learn programming basics in .NET/C#. After earning your first badge, you’ll have a new credential for your resume and LinkedIn profile. But don’t stop there - earn all four badges to develop full-stack skills that can launch your coding career. You can obtain all four badges in as fast as 10 months or take a brief break between badges. This flexible schedule helps you keep your job while you learn to code.
    Skillsfund and Climb
    Pay-as-you-learn; tuition per badge
    November 4, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 18, 2019
    December 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by November 15, 2019

• Erin Green • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate

My background: I had basically zero experience coding, other than a small amount of self-teaching on my own time for a couple months before discovering the bootcamp online. My background is in Biology, so not AT ALL related. This was a complete 180 degree career change for me.

The Software Guild is amazing and they really have this all figured out. David was our Java instructor and he was incredibly knowledgeable. He spent a ton of his time outside of class to answer any questions we had. I cannot express how hard-working he is and dedicated to getting us all through the program, whatever it took. If we were willing to put in the time and effort he would go above and beyond to provide any help we needed.

If you are going to do this you REALLY need to put in the work, because if you don't, it shows. You cannot coast through it. We lost 5 out of our original 14 throughout the course of the program, mostly because people were not able to meet a couple of the hard deadlines that were set for finishing thier projects. Out of the 9 that made it to the end, only 2 of us finished all of our projects by the last day of class, so many people needed extensions. Those that got extensions have had a harder time finding jobs because they first need to focus on finishing the course right now, rather than spending all of their energy on their job search. It is important that you are able to drop any distractions for these 12 weeks, because staying up to speed is paramount to your success. Many people were not able to do it, but if you are able to get through, it will be worth it, trust me.

Throughout the program, Kipp, the employer network manager, goes above and beyond to make sure people get jobs. He is incredibly knowledgeable about resumes, working with recruiters, networking, etc. and he does quite a few presentations and one-on-one meetings to prepare us for success in our job search. If you follow his steps you will get a job! I was able to find one within about a week and a half of graduating thanks to his help navigating. It was the speed interviews that ended up getting me most of my leads for interviews, and ultimately my job after the program, so I recommend taking those very seriously.

My one qualm is that I wish the bootcamp were actually 16 weeks instead of 12. It all worked out well in the end and I learned an INSANE amount in 12 weeks, but I think having an extra few weeks to dive even deeper into some of the topics would be helpful. I felt that a few things slipped through the cracks a bit and would have required more time to truly gain an understanding.

All in all, this was one of the best decisions I have made in my life so far. I do not regret my decision to quit my decent job in a veterinary lab to make this huge life change. It may be a lot of money, but if you can swing it I recommend making this investment in yourself. 100% worth it!

• Mr.
    - 9/11/2017
    Calvin O'Keefe • Consultant • Graduate

The software guild was a fantastic way to kickstart my software development career.  I graduated college with an inkling that I might want to get into development but had no real path to do so without going back to school for another 4 years.  Instead I stumbled upon the software guild and it changed my life.  They immerse you for 10 weeks from 9-5 in full stack development which left me feeling prepared and equipped to find and succeed in a career of software development.

• W. Bryant Campbell • Programmer • Graduate

I decided to attend The Software Guild after being fired from a local restaurant as a server. I had given almost 10 years of my life to working in restaurants and was feeling major dissatisfaction with what my future looked like. Not to mention that I had just had a daughter and now I needed to provide for my family. I knew nothing coming into the pre-work which I was able to navigate through with some effort. My time in the program is something that I will never look back on with anything but pure appreciation. The instructors and staff gave me guidance and the courage to move forward when I felt overwhelmed or not cut out. In the end I graduated with enough working knowledge to land a job at a company that appreciates me and my talents that I gained at the Guild. I am a full stack web developer building an app now that isn't scheduled to be finished until 2020! How's that for job security?! If you're asking yourself if this is the right thing for you take a hard look at the world you live in today. The Software Guild isn't just teaching you to code they're ushering you into a future that is ripe with opportunity and that gives back when you put your time and energy into it. The Software Guild is the greatest investment I've ever made.

• Frank Thomas • Student

I recently graduated from the Software Guild's C# online program and I have to say that it was the one course I should have taken years ago and wish I never took! Why? I wish I started learning with these folks years ago. My career would be looking very different right now. But it was also the toughest course in IT that I've ever taken! It was extremely challenging, and they required me to learn many things. I love it now, because they got me through the 'tough' learning parts to properly teach me OOP, and C#.

Their course is done in such a fashion that every lesson and every assignment is especially challenging. If you try to breeze through, you won't be able too.

Would I recommend this course? Whole heartedly on one condition. You better be serious about learning C#. If you are not, you won't get through it. But if you do graduate, you'll have a well rounded education that will project you into the future!

• Tim Ross • Associate Software Developer • Graduate

When I first told people about the Software Guild, I always felt like I was describing a get rich quick scheme, because that's what is sounds like when you say things like "double your salary in only 12 weeks".  It was only through a lot of research did I finally decide to take the plunge, and I'm glad I did.

I attended the guild in February 2016, and was taught by Victor.  He was a very good teacher, and, especially in hindsight, extremely patient.  He taught the subject matters with efficiency and skill, and actually desired to thoroughly dive into our questions.  When the students started to become a little more compentent, he certainly expected us to find more answers for ourselves which was a little frustrating, but I understood (many in my class did not understand this in terms of teaching style, but to each his own).

The coursework is heavy and will require 100% of your attention for the duration.  I recommend at least attempting a basic programming online course in either javascript or your course's language before attending, so you are not completely lost.  Having done this, I felt at an advantage, and spent a little less time worrying and more time moving on to more advanced topics.
     There were a few in the class that either dropped or barely skirted by and never got a job because they didn't put the work in.  The work that you do is what will get you the job.

The guild adequately prepared me for an Associate position.  A year later, I'm still feeling  competent and happy with my decision.  The life of a software developer is one of lifelong learning, and people who are ready for that will enjoy the guild despite its difficulty.

• Thaddeus Ducker • Front End Web Developer • Graduate

I leaned everything I needed to know and be successful in my field. I went from having a job before the Software Guild, and now I have a career I am proud of! I couldn't have done it without the instructors and staff who really care about the students and help push the student to strive for success!

• Anthony Rich • Applications Developer I • Graduate

Attending the Software Guild was easily the best decision I've ever made.  It allowed me to change my career path entirely in under 4 months. I honestly did not believe it was possible. Don't get me wrong, it was easily the most challenging and frustrating 12 weeks of my life, but I would do it over in a heartbeat.

The Software Guild not only gave me a strong foundation in OOP programming and SQL, but it taught me how to think logically through problem-solving. I really appreciated that we were not spoon fed information, but rather forced to discover our own solutions by way of teamwork and personal research. This skill has already proven to be valuable in my professional career.

If a career in programming is your end goal than the Software Guild is a great option. I received multiple job offers before the cohort was complete. A job is not guaranteed but they'll provide you will all the tools and support you'd need to get an offer. You'll get as much out of this program as you are willing to put in.

I would highly recommend taking a cohort taught by Pat Toner if you're interested in learning Java.

• Joseph Rohwer • Software Engineer • Graduate

Went right out of high school with no job or programming experience. Less than two months after graduating I was able to land a Software Engineering role that I absolutely love. The Software Guild taught me how to learn and it laid a sturdy foundation to grow from. I highly recommend this boot camp to anyone looking to get into the software industry.

• Alumni
    - 7/29/2017
    Ben Rinehart • Software Developer • Graduate

This course is not for the faint of heart or for people who will not invest everything you have into it. You DEFINITELY get what you put into it.

I took a huge gamble with the Software Guild and it has paid back in dividends. I was initially a bit terrified/excited when I chose to quit my full time job in the transportation industry, drop ~$10k and attend an INTENSIVE 12 week bootcamp.

The way that the in person program is structured is that they introduce concepts to you in a flipped classroom structure, then use in-person instruction time to build on the videos and readings from the night before. The instructors are top-notch. Seriously. . .  the absolute best. They go out of their way to work with you to make sure you are keeping up with the class or if there is an area where you are clearly strong or ahead of the class they will offer further resources and suggestions to deepen your knowledge of that topic.

I think that the way that they use measured pain-points in the assessments to introduce learning under pressure REALLY WORKS. I can tell you that there are times in this course that made me almost break down and cry but then they introduce a bit of relief in the form of a little less work or a change of topic. Additionally the whole course, though seeming disjointed at times, builds upon that material learned before. This very meticulous structure helps you to retain your knowledge better than I have been able to retain anything from my 4 year university degree.

The job support you receive and the interview prep is stellar. BEFORE I even graduated, I was entertaining 2 offers and had gone on 4 second interviews.

Bottom line: If you are willing to invest not only your money but 100% of your effort into this course, it will pay off in dividends. Trust the course, the instructors, and those who put together the curriculum. They really know what they are doing.

- 4/14/2017
    Mihaela Ilie

Before I started this bootcamp I researched a lot and after all the reviews and the policies and their methods, this is one of the top software bootcamps in USA. I strongly recommend.
    I was able to gain a solid base of OOP programming and SQL but the most important is the practical knowledge that can be applied early in the market. Don't expect it to be easy. But if you work hard their method is definetly working and was tested on almost 500 graduates. I got a job offer in week 11 of the bootcamp and all the effort paid off.

• .NET Apprentice
    - 4/14/2017
    Daniel Eckberg • Graduate

Attending The Software Guild was one of the most rewarding decisions of my life. I was definitely very nervous going in. I started in the online program and switched to the Akron in person cohort. The benefit of having other students in to directly bounce ideas off of and hear the questions they may ask the instructors that you might not have thought of was great.

The instructors are more than willing to help you suceed and point you in the right direction without giving you outright the answer. It's all about teaching you how to think like a programmer and ultimately learn how to research to solve the problem. I was able to obtain a position of a Database Analyst the last week of the bootcamp.

Bottom line be ready to put in the work and take advantage of all the resources available to you(the instructors, open office hours, fellow students, and former guildees on slack.

• CONFIRMED LEGIT
    - 4/13/2017
    Tim H • Student

The Software Guild is intense but extremely rewarding nonetheless. What you get is what you get out. Despite this being a back-end - focused bootcamp, I have a front-end job lined up for me, and this is one day before even graduating.

I have never learned so much in so little time, and never thought I could until I challenged myself to do so by applying here. This program will prepare you to be compatible with the modern programming career field without everything that is foundational that is included in a traditional CS degree. Of course, if you want to learn more about such, that is up to your discretion, and will only help you. But be sure to have a balance between your classwork and doing so.

I highly recommend this program. It is a very casual setting but despite that, I have been able to learn and overcome so much. It's alleviating that way. But you can do it. I will be telling all my friends about how I was able to get into the programming career field because of the program, my classmates, and my instructor Pat, with all of their help.

• Robert M. • Software Developer Apprentice • Graduate

I came across The Software Guild when looking to pursue a career in software development. I had been self teaching myself web development in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript for about a year prior to attending the guild. The pre-work and audition process was pretty easy for me based on my prior learning, and I think it is a great way to feel out if a student will be able to handle the program.

The amount of information you learn, is definitely a lot. It is not so much that it is not manageable, however. You will need to make use of your non-classroom time to do further studying and self work. The instructors are available in person to you between 9AM-4PM at the Akron location, with further Open Office hours available after hours via screen share.

The skills I learned at The Software Guild, along with the skills I had previously learned were crucial in acquiring a job at the company that was my first choice. Though there was some overlap if you have prior basic coding knowledge, you will still learn best practices and then blast into the unknown. A great benefit of the in-person cohort that I attended was the people that I met and collaborated with daily. It is super helpful to have classmates to bounce ideas off of and troubleshoot issues with.

I would recommend The Software Guild to anyone who knows that they can learn quickly, are willing to put in extra hours when something doesn't make sense, and are passionate about achieving a career as a developer.

• Mark D'Andrea • Student

The software guild provides a great environment for learning. I am constantly surrounded by intelligent people that I can converse with and relate to. Even though the course load is vigorous, it is made enjoyable because of the positive and friendly attitudes of the teachers and students. My instructor, Pat Toner, always asks if I am experiencing any problems. He also helps me in understanding concepts so I have the proper tools to solve problems on my own. This is a very hands on program. If you are strong willed and put in the effort, you will succeed.

• Mike Chow • Student

A very intensive, challenging and yet enjoyable 12-month experience that can carry you from zero to employable.

Make no mistakes you will receive what you put in.   Be sure to work really hard and follow the system and be professional.   At the end of the cohort, you will be equipped with all the knowledge to be hired.

Most of my classmates got offers by the end of the cohort, and I would say the high placement rate advertised by the Guild is definitely true.

However, you will need to be prepared before you come to the cohort.  Once you're behind the material there's basically no time to catch up, as the process moves extremely fast.  We started with 12 people and only 9 remained at the end.

Overall 5 out of 5 all the way.

• Dave O'Keeffe • Student

The software guild provides exactly what is described on the web site, a fully immersive program that can take apprentices with little to no experience and turn them into employable developers in just 12 weeks, I had a great time at the guild and walk away with a great skill and an opportunity for a great career. The knowledge at the guild is vast and their willingness to help and provide feedback to students is great and makes for nice work environment.

• Chris Andrews • Developer I • Graduate

I attended the January 2017 Cohort at The Software Guild in Akron, OH. Was it perfect ? No. Was it one of the better decisions of my life ? Probably.  Would I come here again and do it all over from scratch ? Absolutely.

I went in with a solid understanding of OOP concepts and ability to make simple apps in Java. The first few weeks were a good refresher, but once we got into design, testing, and building applications of substantial size I really began to appreciate everything the guild was offering. Pat Toner was our instructor and he was, as others have said, a Java ninja, but more than that he was a really personable teacher who was as engaging as he was knowledgeable (if not a bit snarky)! I would have liked more lecture time, but part of the guild is learning how to learn when it comes to programming and doing things on your own. The second part of the course covered web applications with Java and the presentation of the material and the flow was, for the most part, great. Being able to go from simple console apps to dynamically created and updating web apps is kind of unreal, given the time span in which we were able to do it.

I came in expecting to learn a ton of stuff that wasn't readily available online (design patterns, workplace norms, test driven design) and become employable. I'm happy to say that both these goal were accomplished. You definitely get out what you put in and the more time you have to dedicate yourself to these 12 weeks, the better you'll probably do. I would have liked the pacing of the course to be different / better at times and I would have liked more time with some of the meatier concepts (security, REST web services), but given the timing, some topics had to be introduced and then we had to move on.

I'm quite happy with my time here, I came out of the guild with a job, I was able to develop apps for both the guild coursework and for myself and I learned so much that will help me (I feel) transition to a real world environment.

• Paul • Student

It's a good learning experience. From knowing nothing to knowing something. Before I attended, there is a month and a half worth of prework on HTML, CSS, minor JavaScript, and basic computer stuff. As I am writing this review, I only have one day left of class. Now I can say I am a full-stack developer. I will be always be tightening up my skills. I would attend this if you are a quick learner and highly motivated to get a job in the software industry. It's not for everyone, so think about it closely before investing time and money into this. I think I have learned alot, and it was good for me.

• Cory • Graduate

If you're on the fence about bootcamps in general or which bootcamp you would like to attend I just want you to know that The Software Guild is worth it.  The course is difficult but has structure so your able to build on the knowledge you gain.  I know multiple people from my class that  secured jobs even before they gradutated which is a testimate to the structure of the program.  The results for the guild speak for themself (linked below).  The short version of what really could be a long review is this, the program is worth it.

• Best Decision Ever
    - 4/13/2017
    Steven Luangrath • software developer • Student

The Software guild has been a wonderful experience for me. I came here with almost no knowledge of computer software or anything related having spent the last 10 years in the service industry as a bartender. I heard about software bootcamps from a family member and decided to look some up, it was hard to decide which one to go with since their are so many out there. After doing some research i decided to go with the software guild because of all the great reviews i read. Im 100 percent glad that i decided to do this, it was difficult but not impossible. You really get out what you put into it. For 3 months you will eat sleep and breathe code, at times it will be frustrating but know that everyone is in the same boat as you and dont be afraid to ask questions.

My time at the software guild was an amazing time and ive built life long friends and relationships here. The staff was awesome, I did the JAVA cohort and it was a blast. Patrick Toner was a heck of a teacher and was very knowledgable about all topics. He never spoon fed us information and always pointed us in the right direction in search of the correct solution to a problem.I would take this course over again for the simple fact that the man is incredibly smart and made the class fun. We spent alot of time doing projects and working in a team environment. I feel like it really mimicked what a real work experience is going to be like.

In weeks 6-7 i began putting together a resume and portfolio of projects i did and started putting out feelers, by the end of week 8 i had a job lined up. In week 10 we had an employer event where all the companies in the guild network show up and have 15 minute interviews with the apprentices. Matt Lopiccolo is the man in charge of the akron area job recruitment/search and he did a heck of a job making sure everyone was prepared for interviews and such. We're now in week 12 and almost everyone has accepted a job offer or has offers on the table.

If youre thinking about attending this bootcamp i would highly recommend it!!!

• CJ Whaley
    - 1/11/2017
    CJ Whaley • Programmer • Graduate

The Software Guild is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I decided to attend TSG after a year of CS at two seperate colleges, and neither year comes close to the amount of quality and necessary skills I learned while at TSG. The first half of the course was dedicated to console applications, and during this process I was taught best practices for applications as well as version control and working in a team while developing.

The second half of the course was angled towards front-end dev, while still enforcing everything we had been taught so far.

My instructor was Dave Balzer, and he was great. He, along with all the other instructors, really wanted us (the apprentices) to succeed and it was evident in everything they did. There was always someone ready to jump in and help explain something, or to meet with me for a code review.

If you have any reserves about TSG, I would say put them to bed because attending here was the best decision I have ever made.

• Result = Success
    - 1/7/2017
    Elijah King • Software Engineer I • Graduate

The Software Guild gave me the skills, the confidence, and the network I needed to land a great job as a software developer. I heard about the Guild from a friend almost a year before I enrolled. I took that time to find out if software development was something I could actually get into or not. They say you can start the program with no previous experience, but personally I prefer to be a little more prepared. Especially when investing so much time and money.

That time to prepare was not wasted. There are plenty of online tools to help someone learn programming concepts and languages. And though they may not be a complete program in and of themselves, they make for great prep work for someone with no experience with the subject. Anyway, without proper, prior, preparation, I may not have performed so well. That being said, the Software Guild was the perfect opportunity to build on that self study.

The coursework was intensive and structured. There was enough repetition of in-depth concepts that they not only made sense by the end, but became second nature. We built individually and in groups several full stack applications from the ground up. I walked out of the cohort with the ability to set up a SQL database, write stored procedures, connect to the database in my code, swap out mock and live data with factories, move data through layered architecture in a safe manner, and display and manipulate that data in the browser. The Guild also prepared me to work with source control in a team environment, a skill which I now use every day on the job to access and update my own team's codebase. Basically you get 3 months of full time education, experience, references, mentors, and a hiring network to boot. They delivered as advertised.

I attended the .NET cohort on site in Akron Ohio and David Balzer was my instructor. The structure and content were great, but it also comes down to the quality of instruction and Dave nailed it. He presented the information clearly, took the time to answer any question, and would always show encouragement and support. When someone was really stuck, Dave would sit down and walk through the problem step by step explaining along the way. This really helped to understand some of the more difficult concepts.

The rest of the staff was also amazing. I always enjoyed my interactions with the instructors, mentors, and the administrative staff. I honestly can't say enough about this place. If you are willing to put in the work and trust the process you should definitely see the results.

My advice, find out if you really love programming first (this includes working with people btw). If you do, the Software Guild should be a great next step for you. Highly recommended!

• Bevan • Graduate

Once upon a time, I was in a miserable, horrible situation with my career and knew that something needed to change.

That change was The Software Guild, which — by way of a piece on NPR — made big ‘promises’ that in 12 weeks I could change everything. I could learn a trade [software/web development] and find a new career [via their career development efforts and hiring network].

It sounds too good to be true? For some in my cohort it was, and things didn’t pan out as expected. For me? I found a new life, and I am absolutely grateful to The Software Guild for that.

NOTE: I attended the January 2015 Java cohort. I was employed directly out of the Guild, though working with technology that I hadn’t studied [COBOL and C#].

The Good

Far and away, the best aspect of this program is the instruction. My caveat to that is that I only had one instructor [and a TA] of the available instructors. Pat Toner. If you are considering doing TSG, I’d highly recommend that you do whatever you can to be in Pat’s class — even if that means that you have to wait for the following cohort.

Pat’s style is unconventional. He teaches in a conversational tone and manner, which helps to lower the stakes a little in an incredibly stressful environment [more on that later]. Pat is also absolutely brilliant, and getting to watch him in his element of designing and coding was nothing short of inspirational. If it sounds like I’m being overly indulgent on the qualities of Pat, let me assure you that I am not. He made this entire experience worth it for me.

I’m also going to put the aforementioned stress level as part of ‘The Good.’ Why? Because it was motivating. In my class, which consisted of 15 men aged 22–65, at least 12 of us had put everything on the line in order to attend. Several of us were married with children who needed to be successful in this venture or else face pretty dire consequences. At no point did I feel that my situation [I came into the Guild with a 1 year old and a 4-months pregnant wife…] was undercut or belittled. The stress level also somewhat mimicked what life can be like [though isn’t always] in a development setting.

The Not-So-Good

Administration is, frankly, very bad. During my 3 months in the Guild, 3 staff members were turned over [the hiring network leader, the administrator, and one of the teachers]. The hiring network one stung the most, as we found out in week 11 that our fears of not feeling prepared for the hiring events were well founded and that he had shirked 90% of what his job responsibilities were. Unfortunately, we did not even get an acknowledgement from the staff [including the founder] of how we had been really given the short end of the stick. I cannot speak to the new hiring network leader’s work, as I only spent 1 week with him.

On top of that, our cohort was one of the first after TSG was bought by The Learning House. As such, there was a lot of bad communication, and we often felt left in the dark as to what was going on. At times, it felt like we were the guinea pigs. Not a great feeling when you’ve put your life on the line [and a large chunk of money].

And so?

If you go in with eyes wide open, you can be successful. This is not a fix-all for your life, and there are no guarantees that you will make it through and find gainful employment at the end. Like everything worthwhile in life, it’s a huge risk. Would I do it again? I don’t know. Am I glad that I did it? Absolutely.

• A good experience
    - 12/19/2016
    Adam • Software Developer • Graduate

I was part of the Java cohort at the Software Guild from April to July 2016 in Akron, Ohio.

Short Review:

1) The Instructors were great!  Pat Toner is a Java ninja with more than 15 years of professional experience.

2) The local employer network is strong: about 12 or so local companies came for speed dating interviews on site.

3) I had 4+ job offers a week after I was finished

4) I am now 6 months into working as a software developer at a Consulting company.  I have been learning Javascript, Angular2, C#.Net .Net Core, and SQL server as new projects at my job necessitate.  It is hard to believe looking back how I got to where I am today in only 9 months.  The Software Guild had a huge part to play in helping me:

a) gain the technical skills
    b) learning how to learn
    c) approaching software design first and foremost from the problem to be solved and only then getting into the design and implementation of the technical solution which helps to solve the core problem and determines the value of any specific technical aspect no matter how cool.
    d) gain the psychological confidence to get out there and interview for my first job in tech.

I recommend the Software Guild as a good stepping stone into the world of Software Development.  I am happy to talk with anyone about my experience there and hope it may help you in your own journey.

Longer Review:

My background: After starting college as an Electrical Engineering major I got board and although at the top of my class, decided to pursue a career as a professor in the humanities.  I finished with a BA in Philosophy and Religious Studies, did my MA, and was working on a PhD.  I loved teaching, learning, and imparting knowledge in a way that helped others have the “ah-ha” moment.  Higher education is a mess with one real job for every 5 - 7 highly credentialed and qualified people.  So I decided to make a change.  While I was working on my PhD I worked at a Church doing leadership formation, communications strategies, programing, and strategic planning.  While there I was asked to redo their web site.  I had no idea how to make one.  I picked up Wordpress as I worked with someone who was a seasoned wordpress developer.  I also started to dabble in Javascript, CSS, and HTML and loved it.  I knew I wanted to make a profession change but the question was how.  I saw 3 routes.

1) keep my current job, self study, make a project, then interview for entry level developer jobs

2) quit my current job, totally dedicate myself to self study, make a project, then interview for entry level developer jobs

3) quit my current job, go through a bootcamp, then interview for entry level developer jobs

While I think all three of these are valid ways to getting into the software industry ( I know people who have done each), I was leaning towards the 3rd option since it seemed like the quickest way to get into the field, 12 weeks, all in, job change, then get paid to learn more on the job while getting professional developer experience.  Option 1 could take up to a year depending on how much time each night I was able or motivated to dedicate to it.

So why the software guild?  I researched and read up on many different bootcamps.  Some seemed like a scam and probably were.  Others seemed more reputable with alumni who are working as developers and becoming senior level people.  I was impressed reading some of the reviews of Software Guild Alumni.  I was also attracted to the Guild since it introduced you to a more traditional (C#.NET / Java/Spring ) object oriented programing language and framework used by many many enterprise level companies.  I wanted some formalized education but not another college degree, so this seemed like a good fit.  It also worked for me being from Ohio, close to home, I was able to stay with family nearby, and the tuition was reasonable (10,000) compared to other bootcamps.

I enjoyed the staff, the teachers, and the other students in my cohort.  The teachers knew their stuff and were invested in helping you succeed.  Not a place to be spoon-fed success, so come with an active spirit (but that is all of life!!), if you are active and passionate in learning AND in your job search, you will find a job.  Finding people who are qualified, passionate, and personable is HARD for companies, if you want this and enjoy it and want to work hard at a career of using software and tech as a tool to solve human and business problems, you will be hired!!

Pat Toner, who was my Java teacher, was great! All the other teachers were available and happy to help with questions or give you more side projects.

The curriculum moved a bit slower than I expected but Pat always had a list of more projects and things to work on if we completed assignments, so no time was wasted.

The outcome was proficiency and familiarity with:
    web development using MVC design, Object Oriented approaches to programing, the Agile approach to developing a software product as a team, git (a source control tool),

• Zach Brenneman • Application Developer • Graduate

The title of this review is in no way an embellishment of my experience at the Guild. Prior to attending the Guild I was stuck in dead end job with no upward mobility.  Two weeks after graduating I had recieved two offers from companies I was excited to join.  If you are passionate about programming and motivated to change your career then attending the Software Guild is a no brainer.

I owe a lot of my success to my instructor Pat Toner.  Pat was not only an expert in building enterprise business applications but also an expert instructor in this field.  I always felt comfortable approaching him no matter what the problem.  He is a master at providing non technical metaphors to assist in understanding some of the more abstract concepts in software development.

Pat wasn't the only staff member that impressed me during my time in the program. All the teaching assistants are wonderful people who are always available to help. Not to mention the excellent assistance I recieved from John Manila and Matt LoPiccolo who were in charge of helping students attain employment. They were helpful during and after my completion of the program. These two organized an event that enabled all the students to interview with companies seeking developers. I ended up accepting an offer from a company that attended this event.

I couldn't of been happier after attending the Guild but I must warn prospective students to make sure they are financially stable before enrolling. The Guild does offer options to help students with tuition and living expenses but you must consider the time after the program. You shouldn't expect to have a job lined up upon completion of the program. It takes a lot of hustle to land your first software development job and that might take some time. But overall I am enthralled with the experience and am proud to be a Guildee for life!

• William Miao • Student

I was part of the first online .NET cohort (~May 2016).  Initially, I was very excited.  I think they do a good job teaching the fundamentals.  And I think their material is top-notch.  However, the instructors are quite busy.  It can be hard to connect with your classmates, because most of them have already full-time schedules (that is why they are in the online cohort in the first place!).  The basic premise is that the in-person bootcamp is 60 hrs / wk, so the online expectation is 20 hrs / wk (so 9 month completion vs 3 month completion).  However, based on surveys of my fellow classmates while I was in the class, expect to put in more than 20 hrs / wk.  I think they were planning on changing it to 12 month completion because the work was taking longer than they had anticipated.  It's reasonable, because you are presumably juggling a full-time job and possibly a family at the same time.

I feel like code reviews could have been done better.  I think my experience became a lot better once they moved from Hipchat to Slack.  I was able to connect with in-person and even some graduates of the program.  I think because our cohort had a lot of early drops, we ended up with about 10 students after about a month, and our specific cohort channel chatter dropped to almost zero.  Also, I was always told not to talk about advanced math or algorithms (I have a degree in physics, I can't help it....)

I think the reason I might have lost some of my excitement is because I wasn't able to progress faster (being the first cohort, they were still creating material as we were moving forward).  Also, I actually have a fair bit of background in programming: just not enough to get into a masters program or get a job in Software Development.  So I thought the bootcamp would help me bridge the gap.

The reason I left early was (personally):

1) I started getting interviews from major companies in my area (Seattle) (Expedia, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft).  I even made it to the on-site round at Amazon, but my feedback was my algorithms and problem-solving weren't quite good enough.

2) Algorithms are generally de-emphasized and / or completely ignored in this bootcamp.  The focus here is to get a Jr. Dev job in the Akron / Louisville / Minneapolis Area, which is a lot different then getting a development job in Seattle or San Francisco.  I got many algorithm questions for every interview I did.  However, I don't think it is as necessary outside of the SEA / SF area.  I think they have a fairly good track record of placing their bootcamp grads into their locations.  In response to my rejection from Amazon, I dropped out of the bootcamp and enrolled in the Data Structures and Algorithms specialization from Coursera (which I highly recommend for anyone, but I am an algorithms geek).  It looks like it was a good choice for me personally, because Microsoft will be extending an offer to me after my onsite last week :)

I can't speak much about job assistance, but their employment lead was in technical recruiting for 20 years, so that can't hurt.  Also, some of their instructors have a podcast called Dev Coaches podcast, I'd recommend giving it a listen for anyone who has an interest in development.

In summary, if this review was too long to read, I'd say if you are in the Minneapolis / Akron / Louisville area or in general would not mind relocating, then the bootcamp is a good choice.  However, if you want to get a job in the algorithm-heavy areas like Seattle, San Francisco, and I have to guess New York City would also be like this, consider other options.

This bootcamp helped me become excited about development and improving myself.  I don't think I'd be where I am today if I hadn't enrolled.  The instructors are very friendly!  And the people are great.  All kinds of different backgrounds, an ice carver, a flight attendant, a VP at a bank, a software tester, and a IT networks professional (just a few of the friends I've made there!).

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.