software-guild-logo

Software Guild

Software Guild

The Software Guild offers immersive full-time, online, 12-week or part-time, 10 to 14-month coding bootcamps. Courses focus on .NET/C# and Java and do a deep dive into the language fundamentals, server side, data tier, user interface, and tools. Software Guild focuses on .NET/C# and Java because those stacks are stable, proven, and in highest demand in the enterprise. The Software Guild takes driven beginners, or more experienced students passionate about development, and prepares them to compete for jobs as professional developers.

Prospective applicants must fill out an application, complete an admissions interview, take an aptitude assessment, and complete Software Guild’s Introduction to Web Development. The Software Guild looks for applicants who are self-starters with high levels of motivation and tenacity who know when to ask for help, work well with others, keep positive attitudes in the face of adversity, love learning and problem-solving, and are excited to build cool new things.

Recent Software Guild Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (158) reviews for Software Guild →

Recent Software Guild News

Read all (56) articles about Software Guild →
  • Java

AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, Java, JavaScript, jQuery, MySQL
    Start Date December 06, 2021
    Our 12-week Java coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with an average of over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code ’
    December 06, 2021 - Online Apply by November 19, 2021
  • .NET/C#

C#, CSS, HTML, .NET
    Start Date December 06, 2021
    Our 12-week .NET/C# coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code’
    December 06, 2021 - Online Apply by November 19, 2021
  • Changed My Life
    - 9/11/2017
    Jory Pestorious  User Photo
    Jory Pestorious • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Learning to code and make web applications is not a one step process. Many many things are involved in this process. So while learning this on your own is definitely possible, it is quite a daunting task.  I took many courses online and learned how to do some simple code and make simple websites, but I never understood how the whole thing came together or how to make a web application with a backend and database.

This bootcamp brought it all together for me and made me understand the nitty-gritty to the whole big picture and helped get me into a place where I could get a software engineering job at a company that is not only in the Fortune 500 but also in the Fortune 100.

It was great to spend three plus months focused on learning without distractions and with a group of like-minded people. It is definitely a huge upfront investment in time and money, but if you make it through the pre-work without much trouble and are very interested in this field, just keep continuing on the path and eventually I believe you’ll come out happy like I did.

But this bootcamp is not magic. You must like coding and computers. You must be motivated to learn and code. If you are getting into this career for the money, you will probably drop out of this program quite quickly like several in our cohort did.

I was a part of the Java cohort in Minneapolis in 2016. Michael was our teacher, and he honestly was not the best, but us students still made it through. Now, I hear the teacher is Corbin. He is amazing. You won’t be disappointed.

Overall, this bootcamp changed my life and I am so happy I took the chance.

• Brittney Scaccia  User Photo
    Brittney Scaccia • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I'm a somewhat atypical boot camp case: I have worked in (manual) software testing for three years at an information security company in Chicago. I took a leave of absence from my job to attend the Software Guild in hopes of moving from testing to development within the same company. Management was cautiously supportive, and since graduating from the Guild and returning to work, I've been hired on permanently as a software engineer, with the salary to match.

I chose the Guild primarily because it was the most highly rated full-stack boot camp that teaches Java, staffed by instructors who each have over a decade of experience in software development. As someone with a previous background in instructional design, I was also encouraged to learn that instructional designers are on staff as part of the parent company, which I took as a good sign toward the quality or at least organization of the curriculum.

Having said that, the Java curriculum at the Guild deeply impressed me with its thoroughness and organization. Skills build on each other in a logical progression with a level of detail that ensures you understand the tools and technologies you are using on a more fundamental level than merely how to use them. My cohort had a "flipped classroom" style of instruction where we spent evenings watching videos and doing step-by-step code-along exercises that built an example application with you and explained all the components in detail. During the day, the instructor, Pat, led class discussion on concepts and broke the room into smaller groups to work on projects implementing what we had learned. Pat's classroom is a lot of hands-on learning - whatever you're thinking of trying, he'll say, just try it and see what happens - but he is able to answer questions, help solve problems, and provide insight into your design dilemmas, with just the right information-to-snark ratio. He's both knowledgeable and hilarious, which kept us smiling even when the work was tough and demanded long, frustrating hours.

Even I have been surprised at how exactly the Guild program matches what you see in the workplace. You will have stand-up every day, code review every week, and pair programming/collaborative design on every project. You use the same project management software at the Guild (i.e. Atlassian tool suite) that enterprises use. My colleagues have been surprised that I came back already familiar with not just Java and object-oriented design concepts, but also Spring, Maven, SQL, Git, and n-tier web application design - all critical knowledge that is not necessarily typical of junior developers. Most importantly, because you understand what the tools do and why they exist, you gain the ability to communicate clearly with experienced developers: to ask intelligent questions and to understand the answers, using the same common vocabulary.

The team environment at the Guild was what really made the experience for me, and why I endorse the full-time, in-person program for others considering a boot camp. I lived at the Lofts, the nearby apartments that serve as on-campus housing, only a five minute walk from the school, in a very nice suite alongside many of my classmates working on the same projects. We spent many evenings reviewing lessons together, discussing our designs, and even doing peer code reviews prior to the official ones in class. I only had to go next door to get a fresh perspective on something I didn't understand or see a way of doing something that I had not thought of before. Toward the end of the class, many hours were spent rehearsing interview questions with one another and reviewing each other's resumes over beers. That kind of cameraderie is invaluable for learning and for morale, and something you just can't get from an online class. I have never met a group of smarter, more driven people for whom I've had so much respect.

If I decided tomorrow that software wasn't for me, I would still consider my time at the Software Guild to have been a great investment. It was like four years of college (but much cheaper!) smashed into the space of three months: I was the most challenged I have ever been, learned a great deal that will serve me well wherever I go, made friends and connections that will last, and had a ton of fun. To be honest, it was difficult to leave and go back to my normal life. If you're thinking of doing this boot camp thing, and you're not afraid of a challenge, just do it. It's more than worth the time and money.

• Zack Newton  User Photo
    Zack Newton • Web Producer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Graduated May 2017. Working with a great, small company and all after I moved to minneapolis with nothing but a duffel bag and a whim.

The biggest strength about the Sofwtare Guild over most bootcamps is, in my opinion, the help you get finding a job after the fact. They (and by 'they' I mean the employement manager Kipp) stick with you until you get that job. Not to toot my own horn too much but I am a smart, friendly guy who had a pretty good time with this bootcamp. But that doesn't do you any favors if you don't have any work experience. The Software Guild is built around the idea of getting you ready to work as opposed to just passing the class.

Honestly, I can just whittle this whole review down to one thing:

I moved halfway across the country for this bootcamp. I don't regret it.

• Jayce Crowther  User Photo
    Jayce Crowther • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The Software guild was a challenging and rewarding experience.  The overall experiecne was great. I took the Java track in Akron and lived in the Lofs.  Living at the Lofts was super conveniet as the buiilding is nice and it's a quick walk to school. The Software Guild is selective about who they let in, so if you make it through their screening process you will be surroundded by smat, like minded individuals. The Guild is no joke, and you have got to be willing to put the hours in or you will be left behind.  I came in with a failrly strong background, having been through FreeCOdeCamp and having taken numerous courses on Udemy, but that only gave me a good start until week 2 when the Object Oriented Programming began. If you want to do well and get all you can out of the course, plan on 10 hours a day minimum, especially on the weekends.

My instructor Pat is a great guy. He is very enthusiastic about Java and teaching. He keeps the class lively and exciting. Their are also a lot of other instructors available for you to ask questions to, but it is up to you to seek them out when you need them.

The curriculum is good over all, but I felt the material that was provided for first half of the course was batter explained and laid out than the material in the second half. It would have also been nice to have more group or pair projects.

My main mission was to get a job straight out of the guild, and I was able to do that. There is a careeer advisor available to help you and you can ask any of the instructiors to help you prepare by giving you mock interviews. I definitely felt prepared once I started intterviewing and I was able to answer technical questions well.

All in all if you are looking to get into tech as I was and you want to do Java, come to the Software you won't be disappointed.

• Melanie Carroll • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate
    I attended the Software Guild's 10 month online Java Bootcamp from Oct. 5, 2020 until Feb 2021 while working full-time. I found full-time employment with a company within a month of graduating from the program and have been employed for 3 months. It was a wonderful, life-changing experience for me. I enjoyed the self-study, self-paced aspects of the program and felt supported by my lead instructor as well as open office hours. I highly recommend The Software Guild to anyone who is interested in a career in software development.
  • C#/.NET Grad
    - 5/6/2021
    Matt Gozel • Associate Software Consultant • Graduate
    I absolutely loved my time at the Software Guild. I did the .NET/C# self-paced track online. The flexibility of doing it online worked really well for me. I was able to do the coursework around my schedule and keep working full-time while enrolled. It took me about 10 months to complete the program.

The curriculum was well-balanced and prepared me well for interviews and for working as a software developer building business applications in the corporate sector. My instructor was very knowledgeable. The program was also great at teaching me how to fish. Upon graduation, I had the skills to be able to continue my education, to know how to find answers and to understand which directions I needed to grow. Coding is and always will be a life-long learning process. I felt the Software Guild gave me the skills to continue to develop on my own.

Upon graduation, their support in my job hunt was second-to-none. They offered guidance on my resume, LinkedIn, networking, basically everything. They have a very strong network of employers they work with. They were able to help me get interviews, do interview prep and walk me through the entire interview process. They don't do everything for you, you still have to work at it, but they were very supportive the whole way through.

From the day I finished the program to the day I got my first job offer was a little over 6 weeks (in the middle of a pandemic). The Software Guild was a great investment for me and my family. I absolutely recommend their program.
  • William Kelly • Junior Application Developer • Graduate
    The Guild jump-started my career as a software engineer. I opted for the online C#/.NET cohort and it changed my life! The instructors are friendly and push you to achieve your goals. They are knowledgeable and do a great job to answer any questions you have. Their system of delivering you information is organized and easy for tech beginners to understand. The Software Guild covers a lot of real-world coding styles and solutions that are relevant in the modern tech world. Upon graduating the Software Guild, I still got plenty of assistance when it came to finding a job. This prepared me for the real-world coding interviews that can be very intimidating to newcomers. I highly recommend the Guild journey to anyone interested in furthering their career as a developer.
  • Megan • Graduate
    I came to the Software Guild because I had some experience in coding, but couldn't get a job in it with just my non-computer science degree. With my background knowledge and prior self-teaching, some parts of the course were very easy, but most of it introduced me to higher-level topics that I probably wouldn't have been otherwise exposed to. I went from writing simple algorithms and console applications to building full-stack applications in 6 months. The material was very approachable, yet challenging. My instructor was always readily available to answer questions. I would recommend the Software Guild to anyone looking for a bootcamp. I really enjoyed the self-paced online learning and it was probably the most reasonably priced bootcamp I've seen, but it's still very highly regarded by many employers in my area (Twin Cities, MN). I actually got my job offer right as I was finishing my course.
  • Dave Hershkowitz • Application Specialist • Graduate
    I discovered the Software Guild through Cal. State Long Beach, which was advertising the boot camp as a continuing education class. I was definitely nervous about enrolling as it was a large expense however it was not as expensive as some of the other options and there were a large number of positive reviews. I am very glad that I chose to enroll. I loved the experience and felt like I learned a lot. I was assigned an instructor who was great to work with and would help me if I got stuck on anything.

One of the things I was nervous about prior to enrolling was the fact that the Software Guild was clearly focused on the mid-west, and given that I lived in California I was unsure how much support I would be getting compared to those that lived closer to their hubs. I do feel that they made an effort to work around my schedule and the time difference, however I think this is still an area that they can improve in.

While I loved working with the instructor assigned to me, and felt he was very qualified, I did begin to realize that the different instructors had different standards for work. I feel that there should be a more closely aligned rubric between all instructors so that everybody gets more or less the same experience.

The job placement assistance felt satisfactory. Once again I think there was a slight disadvantage in this department with regards to being located outside of the mid-west where most of the software guild's resources are, however I think my experience here should be taken with a grain of salt, the Covid pandemic set in a month and a half after I graduated and made the job hunting experience much more difficult than it might otherwise have been.
  • Dennis Furlong • Automation Engineer • Graduate
    I've been a tech enthusiast for over half of my life and I turn 25 this year. I've made my own small projects just outside the scope of hello-world, and learned a few things here and there about algorithms. I picked up some concepts that developers lean on and how they use them. But I knew I could never actually DO the work to make a cohesive application that stands up on its own legs by itself. There was always something in a tutorial that eluded me, or it was an outdated piece of information I was learning from or what have you.

Well I'm glad I found this company from a friend who works with an alumnus. Because as of March 5th, 2020, 4 months after graduation, I landed an Automation Engineering position at GE, Haier here in Louisville making 2.5x as much as I've ever made. I wouldn't have seen an interview without this place and what it has done for me as a developer and critical thinker will stick with me for the rest of my days. My colleagues at GE possess MBA's, BA's, and MD's in the various sciences. And I get to work with them! Me! A college dropout! It's not about knowing everything in the book before you get there, it's about the thirst for the journey. That's what your future employer will be looking for.

The Software Guild will go down in my book as one of, if not the only private education specialized to produce competent developers that can actually thrive in the workforce. I believe more than half of my class (11 graduates) have landed a job already as well. That's all thanks to the staff, who are SO incredibly passionate about what they do; they have the guidebook to unlock your understanding for all levels of experience, zero to hero. If you're already a hero, they'll see that and push you even farther. If you're at the zero, they know exactly where you're going to go wrong and when you're going to feel like quitting and are there for you. Is there a better position to be in when you attend? No. I already had a great deal of knowledge relative to my classmates, as some of my classmates were just finding out what the cmd prompt was. Some of those students got jobs way faster than I did.

I 10x'd myself as a critical thinker, programmer, designer. All because the instructors are patient, humorous, down-to-earth and above-all accomplished and brilliant. The supporting staff as well, like Jess and Kipp and Amy ( and more ) are all unsung heroes too. They aren't part of your software education per-say, but they are part of holding you accountable to pursue that job and how to carry yourself to land that job. Those staff members mentioned are the ones who are providing job leads, practice interviews, resume building, networking opportunities, seminars, weekly check-ins; that all support you in your final stretch to landing your life-changing job.

Thank you to everyone at The Software Guild. Best decision of my life. I hope if you aspire to be a developer but are at ends meet with being self-taught and think you can do better for yourself; consider looking into investing 1/4th of a year into this place. I highly, highly doubt you will regret it.

Software Guild Outcomes

92% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 35 graduates included in report:

90% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.