software-guild-logo

Software Guild

Akron, Atlanta, Louisville, Minneapolis, Online

Software Guild

The Software Guild offers immersive full-time, 12-week or part-time, 10 to 14-month coding bootcamps in Louisville, KY, Minneapolis, MN, and online. Courses focus on .NET/C# and Java and do a deep dive into the language fundamentals, server side, data tier, user interface, and tools. Software Guild focuses on .NET/C# and Java because those stacks are stable, proven, and in highest demand in the enterprise. The Software Guild takes driven beginners, or more experienced students passionate about development, and prepares them to compete for jobs as professional developers.

Prospective applicants must fill out an application, complete an admissions interview, take an aptitude assessment, and complete Software Guild’s Introduction to Web Development. The Software Guild looks for applicants who are self-starters with high levels of motivation and tenacity who know when to ask for help, work well with others, keep positive attitudes in the face of adversity, love learning and problem-solving, and are excited to build cool new things.

Recent Software Guild Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (147) reviews for Software Guild →

Recent Software Guild News

Read all (46) articles about Software Guild →
  • Java

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java
    LocationMinneapolis, Louisville, Atlanta
    Our 12-week Java coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with an average of over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms in Louisville or Minneapolis. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code ’
  • Java - Online

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java
    Earn coding badges online and learn Java one skillset at a time with The Software Guild’s online Java badge program. The online badge program is ideal for those who want to learn the skills necessary for entry-level software development jobs, but who cannot commit to the immersive, full-time on-ground program. Begin with the Level 1 Badge to learn programming basics in Java. After earning your first badge, you’ll have a new credential for your resume and LinkedIn profile. But don’t stop there - earn all four badges to develop full-stack skills that can launch your coding career. You can obtain all four badges in as fast as 10 months or take a brief break between badges. This flexible schedule helps you keep your job while you learn to code.
    Deposit$125 registration fee
    Tuition PlansPay-as-you-learn; tuition per badge
  • .NET/C#

HTML, C#, .NET, CSS
    LocationMinneapolis, Louisville, Atlanta
    Our 12-week .NET/C# coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms in Louisville or Minneapolis. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code’
  • .NET/C# Online

HTML, C#, .NET, CSS
    Earn coding badges online and learn .NET/C# one skillset at a time with The Software Guild’s online .NET/C# badge program. The online badge program is ideal for those who want to learn the skills necessary for entry-level software development jobs, but who cannot commit to the immersive, full-time on-ground program. Begin with the Level 1 Badge to learn programming basics in .NET/C#. After earning your first badge, you’ll have a new credential for your resume and LinkedIn profile. But don’t stop there - earn all four badges to develop full-stack skills that can launch your coding career. You can obtain all four badges in as fast as 10 months or take a brief break between badges. This flexible schedule helps you keep your job while you learn to code.
    Tuition PlansPay-as-you-learn; tuition per badge

• Erin Green • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate

My background: I had basically zero experience coding, other than a small amount of self-teaching on my own time for a couple months before discovering the bootcamp online. My background is in Biology, so not AT ALL related. This was a complete 180 degree career change for me.

The Software Guild is amazing and they really have this all figured out. David was our Java instructor and he was incredibly knowledgeable. He spent a ton of his time outside of class to answer any questions we had. I cannot express how hard-working he is and dedicated to getting us all through the program, whatever it took. If we were willing to put in the time and effort he would go above and beyond to provide any help we needed.

If you are going to do this you REALLY need to put in the work, because if you don't, it shows. You cannot coast through it. We lost 5 out of our original 14 throughout the course of the program, mostly because people were not able to meet a couple of the hard deadlines that were set for finishing thier projects. Out of the 9 that made it to the end, only 2 of us finished all of our projects by the last day of class, so many people needed extensions. Those that got extensions have had a harder time finding jobs because they first need to focus on finishing the course right now, rather than spending all of their energy on their job search. It is important that you are able to drop any distractions for these 12 weeks, because staying up to speed is paramount to your success. Many people were not able to do it, but if you are able to get through, it will be worth it, trust me.

Throughout the program, Kipp, the employer network manager, goes above and beyond to make sure people get jobs. He is incredibly knowledgeable about resumes, working with recruiters, networking, etc. and he does quite a few presentations and one-on-one meetings to prepare us for success in our job search. If you follow his steps you will get a job! I was able to find one within about a week and a half of graduating thanks to his help navigating. It was the speed interviews that ended up getting me most of my leads for interviews, and ultimately my job after the program, so I recommend taking those very seriously.

My one qualm is that I wish the bootcamp were actually 16 weeks instead of 12. It all worked out well in the end and I learned an INSANE amount in 12 weeks, but I think having an extra few weeks to dive even deeper into some of the topics would be helpful. I felt that a few things slipped through the cracks a bit and would have required more time to truly gain an understanding.

All in all, this was one of the best decisions I have made in my life so far. I do not regret my decision to quit my decent job in a veterinary lab to make this huge life change. It may be a lot of money, but if you can swing it I recommend making this investment in yourself. 100% worth it!

• Great Decision!
    - 12/8/2018
    Adam Carey  User Photo
    Adam Carey • Junior .NET/C# Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I didn't know what to expect when I walked in for the first day of boot camp. I didn't think I would be able to learn something that could get me a job in such a short period of time. The instructors made it great and were there to answer any question I had. This bootcamp changed my life! I was in a dead-end job that I had been working for over ten years and I never thought I would get out of it. I would recommend this bootcamp to anyone who wants to change their career and find a new passion a long the way. With the help of the instructors and our employee network manager, I got a job offer before the bootcamp was even over! I am glad I made the decision, it changed my life.

• Amazing Experience
    - 11/15/2018
    Stephen Erickson  User Photo
    Stephen Erickson • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The staff and teachers were excellent.

I would recommend this experience to anyone who is willing to make learning their only focus for the duration of the cohort. 60-70 hr weeks is not an exaggeration.

At times you may feel lost since it moves quickly, but eventually, it all melds together.

With amazing support, I was able to find a job around two weeks after graduation. Some of my fellows were hired before graduation, as they began their search near the end.

Their motto is "Guild for life", meaning I can continue to count on them and other graduates for support in the future.

• Dmitriy Zelenskiy  User Photo
    Dmitriy Zelenskiy • Application Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

This program won’t teach you everything there is (that’s impossible in 3 months) but gives you a solid foundation that employers find valueable.  Instructors were knowledgeable in their field and always helpful. Employer Network Manager was very proactive in preparing everyone for applying, networking and interviewing. Everyone who graduated in my cohort and was looking for a job is currently working in the field last time I checked. Bottom line is that you can learn by taking online courses at Udemy but if you’re serious about a career change, then having solid, reputable networking and support from The Software Guild can really help you land a job as a developer. Just be warned if you make the commitment, be ready to work. This is fast paced and many felt like they were behind until they made it to the end. I’ve attended private and community colleges and always regretted it because the return on investment was lacking. I have no regrets about this one! One of the best decisions I’ve made so far.

• Zachary Stone  User Photo
    Zachary Stone • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

In December of 2016, I applied for the first group of online students with the Software Guild. I went in with little to no programming experience, but a desire to learn more.

I am so glad I did! I went in with not much confidence in my abilities, not just in programming, but in my ability to use my skills in the workplace. The Software Guild gave me a lot of confidence. I have learned the industry standard, and also have been guided in avoiding the common pitfalls junior developers fall into.

Pros:

• The curriculum is organized really well. We started with very basic front end development in HTML/CSS and a small amount of JavaScript. Then we dove into the C# language, finishing up the end of the course by bringing the front end and back end together into one large mastery project.
    • The community is healthy and strong. Utilizing the "Open Hours" where they had two TAs available for a significant portion of the day to help with any questions, often there were alumni present in Slack and other mentors who could give feedback, or lend a helping hand.
    • Not only do they teach you to code, they teach you to code well. I was amazed at how well they were able to achieve this level of learning in a boot camp style of teaching.
    • Online course lets you have a more "flexible" boot camp experience.

Cons:

• With the boot camp being online, that brings the most "Cons". Communication is difficult when you are not there with your mentor, or in a class room setting.
    • You work alone with the online program. I understand why they had to do this, but it takes away the experience that I think is important, learning to work well with a team.

Overall:

My experience was overwhelmingly positive. Although it was a very difficult course (also my daughter was born at the end of my course.) the guild bent over backwards to ensure I was equipped to succeed, all while not holding my hand.

Shout out to Sarah & Randall for being AWESOME mentors!

• Take the Leap
    - 10/13/2017
    Natalie S.  User Photo
    Natalie S. • Performance Test Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I came to a point in my career where I was bored and I wanted to not just explore my interest in software development, but to turn it into a career. After 3 years in the workforce, I had absolutely no desire to go back to a traditional university to pursue further education. I felt without any official technical training I was unable to even get my foot in the door in a more technical role. When I learned about The Software Guild, it immediately felt like a perfect fit. The overall value of in-person training, the 12-week time commitment, the quality of the instructors, and the skills covered in the boot camp were the biggest factors for me to choose The Guild.

Don't take me wrong, the course was INTENSIVE, and that’s the point. You have to be "all in" to really get the most value out of the program. It was difficult and frustrating at times to learn and understand skills that were, for the most part, very foreign to me. The instructors were incredibly patient, and were able to offer their industry experience to provide us with realistic expectations about required skills in the market. The pair coding we did throughout the course was also incredibly valuable.

In the end, it was absolutely worth it. The Software Guild gave me the skills I needed to not only get recognition, but also succeed and thrive in a technical role I otherwise would not have been able to secure. I would highly recommend The Guild to anyone who wants to pursue a more technical career path, even if it is not necessarily a software development role as the skills I have learned are applicable in numerous areas

• Vincent Siciliano  User Photo
    Vincent Siciliano • Application Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I was beyond excited to hear about the Software Guild on NPR, especially when I realized a couple of my old friends had gone  through the 12-week program with successful outcomes. I had wanted to get into software development for some time, and I was considering going back to school for a BS in Computer Science, but I saw that the career outcomes were comparable with high job placement of junior developers from the program (and in a significantly shorter amount of time!).

After reading many of the reviews on Course Report and speaking with some Guild instructors, I decided to drop everything at my marketing/project management role and prepare for what would be the most intensely satisfying 12 weeks of my career.

The Guild is no joke. They teach you exactly what you need to be an effective developer. In the software field, this often means being able to independently find solutions to complex and sometimes abstract problems. The 'flipped classroom' style of learning forces you to learn the material on your own time, after hours, so that you can apply your new-found knowledge to realistic business applications the next day at the Guild. Since it is more or less up to you to manage your time, it feels very similar to working in the actual software industry -- strict deadlines, adding maximum value to projects, and finding time to push the project to the next level beyond the minimum assignment criteria with new features and enhancements (a must!).

Pat Toner, the Lead Java Instructor at the Akron Software Guild, was (and continues to be, post-grad), the single most helpful mentor throughout my academic and professional career. For me, this did not mean sugar coating critiques or lowering the bar on assignment criteria (which has often been my experience in academia). Pat responds thoughtfully to well-developed, focused questions, and he will always go out of his way to offer the most honest, helpful advice and direction. Pat is a very friendly and funny instructor who has a talent for making his lessons very memorable. He is a great listener, and even after my time at the Guild, I still go to him for advice on all kinds of software industry-related questions (he still provides the same level of thoughtfulness and insight even with his new cohort in session).

Code is never handed to you at the Guild; You have every resource you need to excel on every single project. These resources come in the form of staff members who are dedicated to the success of each and every Apprentice (very small class sizes by the way, so you get plenty of help if you are willing to seek it out), a brilliantly developed online curriculum that builds very nicely on the previous lessons (you will be surprised how soon you create working, enterprise-level web applications), a suite of software tools and frameworks that are relevant and very useful even long after completing the Guild, and perhaps most important post-grad, the network of smart, talented, genuinely passionate, and supportive Software Guild alumni network with whom you will likely stay in touch for years to come.

Matt LoPiccolo, the Employer Network Manager in Akron, works tirelessly to help ensure each Apprentice is well-equipped to land jobs of personal interest. With Matt's help, I and most of the cohort landed really good jobs either during the program or soon after graduation. No matter how busy he is helping other Apprentices, he will ALWAYS find time to have genuine, meaningful conversations that will leave you with information on how to become a much more competitive, desirable candidate.

My advice to people considering the Software Guild for to facilitate in a career change to development is to spend a good amount of time coding beforehand to make it is something you want to do as a career. For most people this was the case, and those people also ended up doing very well during the program and continue to enjoy their new software developer jobs.

I will always look back fondly at my time at the Software Guild. I wish it existed before I started my undergraduate studies!

• Great program!
    - 9/16/2017
    Taylor  User Photo
    Taylor • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the May 2016 .NET cohort at the Louisville, KY location.  The course was well paced and fun.  My instructor wasn't just knowledgeable, he was fun and was always approachable.  On multiple occaisions we had speakers or a Q&A panel from local companies.  There was an interview event with quite a few employers.  After the course, it took about two weeks, three interviews before I decided to accept a job.  I am still at that job a year later.

• Changed My Life
    - 9/11/2017
    Jory Pestorious  User Photo
    Jory Pestorious • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Learning to code and make web applications is not a one step process. Many many things are involved in this process. So while learning this on your own is definitely possible, it is quite a daunting task.  I took many courses online and learned how to do some simple code and make simple websites, but I never understood how the whole thing came together or how to make a web application with a backend and database.

This bootcamp brought it all together for me and made me understand the nitty-gritty to the whole big picture and helped get me into a place where I could get a software engineering job at a company that is not only in the Fortune 500 but also in the Fortune 100.

It was great to spend three plus months focused on learning without distractions and with a group of like-minded people. It is definitely a huge upfront investment in time and money, but if you make it through the pre-work without much trouble and are very interested in this field, just keep continuing on the path and eventually I believe you’ll come out happy like I did.

But this bootcamp is not magic. You must like coding and computers. You must be motivated to learn and code. If you are getting into this career for the money, you will probably drop out of this program quite quickly like several in our cohort did.

I was a part of the Java cohort in Minneapolis in 2016. Michael was our teacher, and he honestly was not the best, but us students still made it through. Now, I hear the teacher is Corbin. He is amazing. You won’t be disappointed.

Overall, this bootcamp changed my life and I am so happy I took the chance.

• Brittney Scaccia  User Photo
    Brittney Scaccia • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I'm a somewhat atypical boot camp case: I have worked in (manual) software testing for three years at an information security company in Chicago. I took a leave of absence from my job to attend the Software Guild in hopes of moving from testing to development within the same company. Management was cautiously supportive, and since graduating from the Guild and returning to work, I've been hired on permanently as a software engineer, with the salary to match.

I chose the Guild primarily because it was the most highly rated full-stack boot camp that teaches Java, staffed by instructors who each have over a decade of experience in software development. As someone with a previous background in instructional design, I was also encouraged to learn that instructional designers are on staff as part of the parent company, which I took as a good sign toward the quality or at least organization of the curriculum.

Having said that, the Java curriculum at the Guild deeply impressed me with its thoroughness and organization. Skills build on each other in a logical progression with a level of detail that ensures you understand the tools and technologies you are using on a more fundamental level than merely how to use them. My cohort had a "flipped classroom" style of instruction where we spent evenings watching videos and doing step-by-step code-along exercises that built an example application with you and explained all the components in detail. During the day, the instructor, Pat, led class discussion on concepts and broke the room into smaller groups to work on projects implementing what we had learned. Pat's classroom is a lot of hands-on learning - whatever you're thinking of trying, he'll say, just try it and see what happens - but he is able to answer questions, help solve problems, and provide insight into your design dilemmas, with just the right information-to-snark ratio. He's both knowledgeable and hilarious, which kept us smiling even when the work was tough and demanded long, frustrating hours.

Even I have been surprised at how exactly the Guild program matches what you see in the workplace. You will have stand-up every day, code review every week, and pair programming/collaborative design on every project. You use the same project management software at the Guild (i.e. Atlassian tool suite) that enterprises use. My colleagues have been surprised that I came back already familiar with not just Java and object-oriented design concepts, but also Spring, Maven, SQL, Git, and n-tier web application design - all critical knowledge that is not necessarily typical of junior developers. Most importantly, because you understand what the tools do and why they exist, you gain the ability to communicate clearly with experienced developers: to ask intelligent questions and to understand the answers, using the same common vocabulary.

The team environment at the Guild was what really made the experience for me, and why I endorse the full-time, in-person program for others considering a boot camp. I lived at the Lofts, the nearby apartments that serve as on-campus housing, only a five minute walk from the school, in a very nice suite alongside many of my classmates working on the same projects. We spent many evenings reviewing lessons together, discussing our designs, and even doing peer code reviews prior to the official ones in class. I only had to go next door to get a fresh perspective on something I didn't understand or see a way of doing something that I had not thought of before. Toward the end of the class, many hours were spent rehearsing interview questions with one another and reviewing each other's resumes over beers. That kind of cameraderie is invaluable for learning and for morale, and something you just can't get from an online class. I have never met a group of smarter, more driven people for whom I've had so much respect.

If I decided tomorrow that software wasn't for me, I would still consider my time at the Software Guild to have been a great investment. It was like four years of college (but much cheaper!) smashed into the space of three months: I was the most challenged I have ever been, learned a great deal that will serve me well wherever I go, made friends and connections that will last, and had a ton of fun. To be honest, it was difficult to leave and go back to my normal life. If you're thinking of doing this boot camp thing, and you're not afraid of a challenge, just do it. It's more than worth the time and money.

• Zack Newton  User Photo
    Zack Newton • Web Producer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Graduated May 2017. Working with a great, small company and all after I moved to minneapolis with nothing but a duffel bag and a whim.

The biggest strength about the Sofwtare Guild over most bootcamps is, in my opinion, the help you get finding a job after the fact. They (and by 'they' I mean the employement manager Kipp) stick with you until you get that job. Not to toot my own horn too much but I am a smart, friendly guy who had a pretty good time with this bootcamp. But that doesn't do you any favors if you don't have any work experience. The Software Guild is built around the idea of getting you ready to work as opposed to just passing the class.

Honestly, I can just whittle this whole review down to one thing:

I moved halfway across the country for this bootcamp. I don't regret it.

• Jayce Crowther  User Photo
    Jayce Crowther • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The Software guild was a challenging and rewarding experience.  The overall experiecne was great. I took the Java track in Akron and lived in the Lofs.  Living at the Lofts was super conveniet as the buiilding is nice and it's a quick walk to school. The Software Guild is selective about who they let in, so if you make it through their screening process you will be surroundded by smat, like minded individuals. The Guild is no joke, and you have got to be willing to put the hours in or you will be left behind.  I came in with a failrly strong background, having been through FreeCOdeCamp and having taken numerous courses on Udemy, but that only gave me a good start until week 2 when the Object Oriented Programming began. If you want to do well and get all you can out of the course, plan on 10 hours a day minimum, especially on the weekends.

My instructor Pat is a great guy. He is very enthusiastic about Java and teaching. He keeps the class lively and exciting. Their are also a lot of other instructors available for you to ask questions to, but it is up to you to seek them out when you need them.

The curriculum is good over all, but I felt the material that was provided for first half of the course was batter explained and laid out than the material in the second half. It would have also been nice to have more group or pair projects.

My main mission was to get a job straight out of the guild, and I was able to do that. There is a careeer advisor available to help you and you can ask any of the instructiors to help you prepare by giving you mock interviews. I definitely felt prepared once I started intterviewing and I was able to answer technical questions well.

All in all if you are looking to get into tech as I was and you want to do Java, come to the Software you won't be disappointed.

Software Guild Outcomes

Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 44 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.