software-guild-logo

Software Guild

Software Guild

The Software Guild offers immersive full-time, online, 12-week or part-time, 10 to 14-month coding bootcamps. Courses focus on .NET/C# and Java and do a deep dive into the language fundamentals, server side, data tier, user interface, and tools. Software Guild focuses on .NET/C# and Java because those stacks are stable, proven, and in highest demand in the enterprise. The Software Guild takes driven beginners, or more experienced students passionate about development, and prepares them to compete for jobs as professional developers.

Prospective applicants must fill out an application, complete an admissions interview, take an aptitude assessment, and complete Software Guild’s Introduction to Web Development. The Software Guild looks for applicants who are self-starters with high levels of motivation and tenacity who know when to ask for help, work well with others, keep positive attitudes in the face of adversity, love learning and problem-solving, and are excited to build cool new things.

Recent Software Guild Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (151) reviews for Software Guild →

Recent Software Guild News

Read all (53) articles about Software Guild →
  • Java

MySQL, AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Java
    Our 12-week Java coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with an average of over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code ’
  • .NET/C#

HTML, C#, .NET, CSS
    Our 12-week .NET/C# coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code’

I went to the Software Guild in 2014 when it was known as The Software Craftsmanship Guild, and this review will document my conclusions as a “graduate” who has been in the industry for three years now. 2014 was at the very beginning of the coding bootcamp bubble that has since developed. In short, my experience with the Software Guild was disappointing, and that disappointment has persisted and amplified as I have attempted to work in the software development industry.

First, I found the Software Guild curriculum to be underdeveloped at best. It was very cookie cutter and essentially a weak clone of the curriculums developed by the original west coast camps (Hack Reactor etc.). In retrospect, I can confidently conclude that the instruction was abysmal. Anything of substance that I learned during my time at the Software Guild was due to my autodidactic tendencies. (pro tip: if you don’t have autodidactic tendencies…DO NOT go into software development. You really do have to be learning new material constantly) Without fail, my instructor (Eric Wise) would stop in the middle of lectures to answer business phone calls or meet with potential investors visiting the site. I found this incredibly disrespectful to the students who each paid $10,000 for the course. If this had occurred in the first week of the course, I would have demanded a refund on the spot, but unfortunately I was too deep into the program to quit. I realized halfway through the program that Eric Wise is an enthusiastic salesman and businessman, NOT an instructor. Finally, there was some woefully inadequate "career guidance" that consisted of the other founder (Jenny Zamberlan) ensuring that we would parrot the script of non-thinking yes men/women during our interviews with prospective employers. Most of my classmates were employed with 3-month contracts upon leaving the Guild. I sure hope the Software Guild does not count these short contracts in their employment statistics, but something tells me they sure do.

My experience after the boot camp ended has been equally disappointing. Anybody who is smart enough to be a legitimate software developer should understand some basic economics. Opportunities for developers are heavily influenced by the supply/demand curve, and the supply of "developers" is rapidly increasing due to increased CS degree enrollment and the glut of boot camp "graduates." Many employers now view boot camp graduates with deep suspicion. I have actually removed The Software Guild from my resume and all employment sites, as I feel that having a no name boot camp on my CV is actually harmful to my employment prospects. Also, the H1B threat is real. I thought it was a bunch of “took mah jerbs” tripe a few years ago, but I have since lost my job to a flock of Indians on H1B visas. You must understand that the types of software development jobs that are accessible to boot camp graduates are HEAVILY exposed to the risk of outsourcing and H1B abuse. With no CS degree and only 12 weeks of experience, you are a code monkey when you “graduate” from a boot camp, and this global economy has plenty of code monkeys who want your job more than you do.

In conclusion, if it's too good to be true...well, you know the rest. If you are serious about a substantive career as a technology professional, please heed my advice and earn a legitimate computer science degree from a well-known 4 year institution. You'll have a depth of knowledge that is orders of magnitude greater than a boot camp graduate. Anything that a boot camp can purportedly teach you in a few months can be learned on the side as you work towards your legitimate CS degree.

The only good thing I have to say about my experience at The Software Guild was that some of my classmates were great people, and I am still in contact with some of them.

• .NET Review
    - 10/11/2017

I took the bootcamp two years ago. The day went like this: The morning started with a standup meeting where everyone stood in a circle and each person stated what they did, are working on, and will work on. It was followed  by a short quiz on the PC about previous day's lecture and a short question/answer assignment. Then there was a lecture and some coding work along until lunchtime. After lunch we all worked on our coding warm ups.

The coding work along, that we were suppose to code along with the teacher, went a bit too fast for everyone to keep up comofortably. It was a rush to code what the teacher was coding; some got it and some didn't.

Those who moved into the Lofts (apartments they provide at a cost) teamed up and worked together while on the campus or in the apartment; they hung out together, ate lunch together, and worked together. Those who commuted from home were left on their own to work alone. So, it was one these commuting students who eventually were given the boot after 4 week evaluation.

After 4 weeks there is an evaluation, if they think you are good enough to complete the bootcamp then they let you stay and if they think you are not then they expel you. You will have finished the .NET material by then, and the next few weeks is covering the other full stack stuff (html, javascript), and then the project.

The cost is $10k some of which can be refunded depending on when you drop out or are kicked out.

They had a guy who helps with finding a job. He was very unproffessional and wasted everyone's time. He was in the program before and dropped out but came back and got a job as an HR person to help graduates get a job (from what previous guild members said).

I am a recent graduate and had a WONDERFUL experience going through the Java Bootcamp at the SoftwareGuild school in Louisville, KY.  The instructors were professional, super intellegent, engaging, supportive and tough when they needed you to push your limits.  The course content was very applicable and I feel prepared me for the position I'm now working in.

The school staff was also very supportive and easy to work with.  I would highly recommend this school to anyone who is trully committed to emersing themselves in learning a fast paced environment geared toward learning in demand skills, fast!

• Java Bootcamp
    - 9/29/2017

I attended The Software Guild Java Bootcamp in Louisville, KY between February and April 2017.

The curriculum included full stack development, so to say we covered a lot of ground in a short time is an understatement.  Although I have an IT background, I was completely foreign to Java and many of the supporting technologies that we covered during the course.

The pace of the coursework was sometimes - adequately - described as drinking from a fire hose (or three), and it required adapting to an agile mindset that was willing to simply "follow the pattern" to finish the objective and have faith that the understanding will sink in later.  For me, this was especially challenging - after all, my future job prospect was dependent upon me *understanding* Java development - but, eventually, I made the adjustment, and found the guidance to be true.

Given this, I must credit the staff and instructors at The Software Guild.  I believe they made all the difference by showing genuine interest in our success and compassion during the challenging times.

• Okay
    - 9/16/2017

Not as great as advertised but it was okay.

• Best Decision Ever
    Anonymous • Programmer Analyst • Graduate

Prior to attending The Software Guild, I had worked in retail for 9 years. After finally becoming fed up with this dead-end job, I decided to make a career change. I didn't want to do more retail, nor did I want to go back to college. So, I decided to explore bootcamps. I chose The Software Guild because it had the best reputation for the bootcamps in my area. It was the best decision I've made. I'm in a new career, with better hours, more fulfilling work, and better pay.

The Guild has a great curriculum that starts slow with the basics of programming and gradually moves faster between topics.  If you're familiar with programming then the first month will probably be a recap for you.  The instructors are helpful and insist on asking questions.  They have resources outside of the scheduled lessons for more detailed learning, so you can learn at your own pace.  Their facilities are excellent and equipped with everything you'd need to feel comfortable and prepared.  They have social activities where you can meet alumni and software developers.  And they're committed to helping you find employment once you're finished.

• Excellent Program
    Anonymous • Software Associate • Graduate

I was an apprentice in the Software Craftsmanship Guild's Fall 2013 Java Cohort. The Software Craftsmanship Guild was an excellent experience, and I highly recommend it.

I believe that I am the first of our cohort to review, so I'll share some stats. 7 started, 6 finished. Job seekers who weren't already affiliated with staffing firms all received jobs. 2 received full tuition reimbursement.

Like many of the apprentices who left reviews, I had no background in software development. I had been teaching in a private school in Beachwood, OH for five years and I was looking for a change. I had really wanted to enter the software space, but was having difficulty figuring out how to do it.

I tried to take advantage of online coursework, both free and paid, but they were all lacking. All of those courses could teach me the concepts, but they couldn't provide me with enough exercises to truly reach mastery. These courses could provide experienced and thoughtful instructors who could lecture, but that was about it. I wanted someone who I could interact with, ask questions to, review my work, and coach me. In the online courses, I was all by myself. Forget about instructors, I had no camaraderie. At the guild, I would be working with every member of the cohort as we tried to learn and use this new information. Lastly, the online courses are interested in providing you with information. I wanted to be mentored by experienced developers. I wanted to create a network with other (future) developers.

The Guild provided me with all of those things and more.

Eric Ward, our instructor was, and continues to be, a tremendous teacher and friend. He is at the cutting edge of his discipline and can still make any and all of these concepts accessible to the neophyte. He was supportive but pushed us to get better. He taught us concepts, best practices, and helped us get a feel for the new industry and what employers were looking for.

Eric Wise, although not with our cohort day to day, brought headhunters, career advisors, and other meaningful speakers to help navigate the job search and enrich our experience.

The other apprentices were absolutely fantastic. I am happy to say that over 12 short weeks I have made new friends, coworkers, and network contacts. I hope to stay in touch with them for a long time.

As fantastic as the program is, your success rests in your own hands. It is a lot of work. It can be overwhelming and intimidating at times. However, you can do it, and everyone there will do everything in their power to help you. But you have control your own destiny. You have to put in the time both during hours and after hours. You have to practice and repeat. You can't be bashful about asking for help. I know that I was shameless about doing so.

One last piece of advice: I used something called the "Two Week Rule." I realized that whenever we were learning something new that I would only completely understand it or feel completely comfortable with it after two weeks. By doing this I was able to limit the anxiety and overwhelming confusion of new concepts. If you can convince yourself that this is the case (and you do the requisite work) your life will be much easier (especially in the first four weeks).

Take this course. Be great!

• C#/.Net
    Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

This was an intense 12 week course that challenged me every step of the way.  I started the course with no coding background and felt like I was always trying to catch up to my peers.  In the end I completed the course and after a little de-stressing realize how much I really learned.  Upon landing a job as a software engineer, my solid background in Object Orientated Programming and C# became evident to me.

I would recommend this course to others who are willing to put aside their life for 12 weeks to learn the material so you can launch yourself into a new career.

• Great experience!
    Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate

Software Guild was a great place to actively get involved in learning the building blocks of Software Development. I learned more in 12 weeks than I ever thought I could. We used relevant technologies and the professors challenged us to learn how to "learn" as a software developer not just how to code. Great experience and I recommend it to any one looking to get out of their comfort zone and learn to code!

• JAVA-OOP
    Anonymous • Software Developer • Student

The course was great.  I attended the 3 month bootcamp which with a group of peers from the same company I work for.  The course was fast paced and time consuming.  A lot of times we worked nights and weekends in addition to the 8 hours of classroom lectures mon-fri.  It was a great course and I learned a lot.  Would definitely recommend this course to anyone looking to make a carrer switch.

I thought David Smelser was a joke of an instructor and could argue that Software Guild is going to fail (in Minneapolis) because of his lack of enthusiasm and VERY poor attitude.

Software Guild Outcomes

Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 44 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.