software-guild-logo

Software Guild

Software Guild

The Software Guild offers immersive full-time, online, 12-week or part-time, 10 to 14-month coding bootcamps. Courses focus on .NET/C# and Java and do a deep dive into the language fundamentals, server side, data tier, user interface, and tools. Software Guild focuses on .NET/C# and Java because those stacks are stable, proven, and in highest demand in the enterprise. The Software Guild takes driven beginners, or more experienced students passionate about development, and prepares them to compete for jobs as professional developers.

Prospective applicants must fill out an application, complete an admissions interview, take an aptitude assessment, and complete Software Guild’s Introduction to Web Development. The Software Guild looks for applicants who are self-starters with high levels of motivation and tenacity who know when to ask for help, work well with others, keep positive attitudes in the face of adversity, love learning and problem-solving, and are excited to build cool new things.

Recent Software Guild Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (156) reviews for Software Guild →

Recent Software Guild News

Read all (55) articles about Software Guild →
  • Java

AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, Java, JavaScript, jQuery, MySQL
    Start Date August 09, 2021
    Our 12-week Java coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with an average of over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code ’
    August 09, 2021 - Online Apply by July 23, 2021
    September 06, 2021 - Online Apply by August 20, 2021
  • .NET/C#

C#, CSS, HTML, .NET
    Start Date August 09, 2021
    Our 12-week .NET/C# coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code’
    August 09, 2021 - Online Apply by July 23, 2021
    September 06, 2021 - Online Apply by August 20, 2021
  • Brian Kurr • Software Engineer • Graduate

4 months ago, I didn't know the first thing about software development. Last week, I accepted a job offer from a company that wants me to be a software engineer. I spent the rest of that morning politely declining three other job offers I received. The guild works. During your time here, you will be trained as a full stack developer.

(for those interested in Java)
    This means you will learn:

• Linux and command line basics (we use Ubuntu 14.04)

• Source code control - Github

• Java syntax - how to write Java code

• object oriented principles - How to create simple programs in Java

• The Spring Framework - most companies use a framework to aid in software development. You will learn how to properly utilize a framework in conjunction with Java.

• XML - how to use XML files to configure your programs

• Database basics. How to design, create, maintain, and manipulate a database using MySQL.

• Web - MVC, HTML, CSS, Bootstrap and how to create a web site that utilizes Java.

• SDLC - The software development life cycle, including the Agile method for development.

**Please keep in mind that the curriculum is constantly being refined and improved, but rest easy that any changes are done to make you a better developer

The course is demanding. It is 7 hours per day for twelve weeks. Is is like drinking from a fire hose. Our instructor, Eric Ward, was nothing short of fantastic. Eric worked in the industry as a senior software developer for many years before deciding to teach. He knows what employers are looking for. Having a resource like Eric in the classroom everyday was invaluble.

The guild's best feature is its hiring network. There are over sixty companies in the network at this time. In the last six months, the network has doubled in size. During the middle of the semester, the guild held a job fair for us. Over twenty companies came to our campus. I got face time with 7 different companies in two days. This resulted in formal interviews with 6 different companies, and 4 different job offers.

I can't recommend the guild enough. I went from knowing nothing, to being a software engineer in twelve weeks, for the cost of a semester of college.

tl;dr signed up for the guild, learned a ton, got a well paying job.

• Java Bootcamp
    - 3/12/2021
    This was a great bootcamp. The material was relevant and paced properly, I learned a lot! The support you get from the instructors and the community is amazing. The one unfortunate point was that I wasn't assigned an updated course curriculum that was released about a month after I had started, so I am currently waiting for it to be released to alumni folks. All in all, I'd still say it was a good choice and worth every penny!
  • Java Online
    - 1/23/2020

Hi Guys,

My over-review for Software guild 0/5. There is a reason behind for '0' Rating

1) Be aware new joiners there is big scam going on in Software guild. For instance I just delayed 9 days to submit assignment which is Badge-2. Then senior called me and asked to re-take the course again and pay $2000, even though I passed the exam with good score.

2) I dont think SG really worth , its waste of $10000. which is big scam.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

I come from a background in many different areas. The most recent being ministry. I had a 4 year degree in math and about a year of self-taught experience as I was beginning the Louisville Software Guild .NET/C# Bootcamp. I quickly exhausted all that I learned in my year of self-teaching within the first 3 weeks of the bootcamp. Not only did I learn how to code, but I also learned other concepts that are extremely important if you want to break into the field. Concepts like OOP, how to write clean code, testing, data structuring, MVC, and others. Between in-class work and home-work I put in, on average, 70 hours a week for the duration of the 12 weeks. I also drove an hour one way everyday to attend the in person bootcamp. I say that just in case someone else is thinking about taking the plunge but doesn't live in Louisville. It was difficult, but definitely doable. After the Guild it only took 2 weeks to be hired by a company in Louisville. I believe most of my class (maybe 90%) of them had already accepted/pending job offers by this point as well.

The only negative thing I could say about my time with the Software Guild was that my .NET/C# professor was pretty terrible, but he's since moved on from the Software Guild. All the other staff is phenomenal though!

Good program. I like how you can take both the .Net and Java classes when you take one for regular price. You get a lot of practical instruction on useful enterprise-level Java tools to immediately become marketable to employers. Sometimes the lectures got long and boring (I like it when the lecturer has his stuff all together and organized to instruct us, having to hunt and peck for the answers is very distracting). The instructors really do know a lot about the material and I'm glad I got to study under them. I just hope that I'm able to get a job now that I've come through their bootcamp. I've got some really cool programs in my portfolio.

I went to the Software Guild in 2014 when it was known as The Software Craftsmanship Guild, and this review will document my conclusions as a “graduate” who has been in the industry for three years now. 2014 was at the very beginning of the coding bootcamp bubble that has since developed. In short, my experience with the Software Guild was disappointing, and that disappointment has persisted and amplified as I have attempted to work in the software development industry.

First, I found the Software Guild curriculum to be underdeveloped at best. It was very cookie cutter and essentially a weak clone of the curriculums developed by the original west coast camps (Hack Reactor etc.). In retrospect, I can confidently conclude that the instruction was abysmal. Anything of substance that I learned during my time at the Software Guild was due to my autodidactic tendencies. (pro tip: if you don’t have autodidactic tendencies…DO NOT go into software development. You really do have to be learning new material constantly) Without fail, my instructor (Eric Wise) would stop in the middle of lectures to answer business phone calls or meet with potential investors visiting the site. I found this incredibly disrespectful to the students who each paid $10,000 for the course. If this had occurred in the first week of the course, I would have demanded a refund on the spot, but unfortunately I was too deep into the program to quit. I realized halfway through the program that Eric Wise is an enthusiastic salesman and businessman, NOT an instructor. Finally, there was some woefully inadequate "career guidance" that consisted of the other founder (Jenny Zamberlan) ensuring that we would parrot the script of non-thinking yes men/women during our interviews with prospective employers. Most of my classmates were employed with 3-month contracts upon leaving the Guild. I sure hope the Software Guild does not count these short contracts in their employment statistics, but something tells me they sure do.

My experience after the boot camp ended has been equally disappointing. Anybody who is smart enough to be a legitimate software developer should understand some basic economics. Opportunities for developers are heavily influenced by the supply/demand curve, and the supply of "developers" is rapidly increasing due to increased CS degree enrollment and the glut of boot camp "graduates." Many employers now view boot camp graduates with deep suspicion. I have actually removed The Software Guild from my resume and all employment sites, as I feel that having a no name boot camp on my CV is actually harmful to my employment prospects. Also, the H1B threat is real. I thought it was a bunch of “took mah jerbs” tripe a few years ago, but I have since lost my job to a flock of Indians on H1B visas. You must understand that the types of software development jobs that are accessible to boot camp graduates are HEAVILY exposed to the risk of outsourcing and H1B abuse. With no CS degree and only 12 weeks of experience, you are a code monkey when you “graduate” from a boot camp, and this global economy has plenty of code monkeys who want your job more than you do.

In conclusion, if it's too good to be true...well, you know the rest. If you are serious about a substantive career as a technology professional, please heed my advice and earn a legitimate computer science degree from a well-known 4 year institution. You'll have a depth of knowledge that is orders of magnitude greater than a boot camp graduate. Anything that a boot camp can purportedly teach you in a few months can be learned on the side as you work towards your legitimate CS degree.

The only good thing I have to say about my experience at The Software Guild was that some of my classmates were great people, and I am still in contact with some of them.

• .NET Review
    - 10/11/2017

I took the bootcamp two years ago. The day went like this: The morning started with a standup meeting where everyone stood in a circle and each person stated what they did, are working on, and will work on. It was followed  by a short quiz on the PC about previous day's lecture and a short question/answer assignment. Then there was a lecture and some coding work along until lunchtime. After lunch we all worked on our coding warm ups.

The coding work along, that we were suppose to code along with the teacher, went a bit too fast for everyone to keep up comofortably. It was a rush to code what the teacher was coding; some got it and some didn't.

Those who moved into the Lofts (apartments they provide at a cost) teamed up and worked together while on the campus or in the apartment; they hung out together, ate lunch together, and worked together. Those who commuted from home were left on their own to work alone. So, it was one these commuting students who eventually were given the boot after 4 week evaluation.

After 4 weeks there is an evaluation, if they think you are good enough to complete the bootcamp then they let you stay and if they think you are not then they expel you. You will have finished the .NET material by then, and the next few weeks is covering the other full stack stuff (html, javascript), and then the project.

The cost is $10k some of which can be refunded depending on when you drop out or are kicked out.

They had a guy who helps with finding a job. He was very unproffessional and wasted everyone's time. He was in the program before and dropped out but came back and got a job as an HR person to help graduates get a job (from what previous guild members said).

I am a recent graduate and had a WONDERFUL experience going through the Java Bootcamp at the SoftwareGuild school in Louisville, KY.  The instructors were professional, super intellegent, engaging, supportive and tough when they needed you to push your limits.  The course content was very applicable and I feel prepared me for the position I'm now working in.

The school staff was also very supportive and easy to work with.  I would highly recommend this school to anyone who is trully committed to emersing themselves in learning a fast paced environment geared toward learning in demand skills, fast!

• Java Bootcamp
    - 9/29/2017

I attended The Software Guild Java Bootcamp in Louisville, KY between February and April 2017.

The curriculum included full stack development, so to say we covered a lot of ground in a short time is an understatement.  Although I have an IT background, I was completely foreign to Java and many of the supporting technologies that we covered during the course.

The pace of the coursework was sometimes - adequately - described as drinking from a fire hose (or three), and it required adapting to an agile mindset that was willing to simply "follow the pattern" to finish the objective and have faith that the understanding will sink in later.  For me, this was especially challenging - after all, my future job prospect was dependent upon me *understanding* Java development - but, eventually, I made the adjustment, and found the guidance to be true.

Given this, I must credit the staff and instructors at The Software Guild.  I believe they made all the difference by showing genuine interest in our success and compassion during the challenging times.

• Okay
    - 9/16/2017

Not as great as advertised but it was okay.

• Best Decision Ever
    - 9/11/2017
    Anonymous • Programmer Analyst • Graduate

Prior to attending The Software Guild, I had worked in retail for 9 years. After finally becoming fed up with this dead-end job, I decided to make a career change. I didn't want to do more retail, nor did I want to go back to college. So, I decided to explore bootcamps. I chose The Software Guild because it had the best reputation for the bootcamps in my area. It was the best decision I've made. I'm in a new career, with better hours, more fulfilling work, and better pay.

The Guild has a great curriculum that starts slow with the basics of programming and gradually moves faster between topics.  If you're familiar with programming then the first month will probably be a recap for you.  The instructors are helpful and insist on asking questions.  They have resources outside of the scheduled lessons for more detailed learning, so you can learn at your own pace.  Their facilities are excellent and equipped with everything you'd need to feel comfortable and prepared.  They have social activities where you can meet alumni and software developers.  And they're committed to helping you find employment once you're finished.

Software Guild Outcomes

92% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 35 graduates included in report:

90% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.