software-guild-logo

Software Guild

Software Guild

The Software Guild offers immersive full-time, online, 12-week or part-time, 10 to 14-month coding bootcamps. Courses focus on .NET/C# and Java and do a deep dive into the language fundamentals, server side, data tier, user interface, and tools. Software Guild focuses on .NET/C# and Java because those stacks are stable, proven, and in highest demand in the enterprise. The Software Guild takes driven beginners, or more experienced students passionate about development, and prepares them to compete for jobs as professional developers.

Prospective applicants must fill out an application, complete an admissions interview, take an aptitude assessment, and complete Software Guild’s Introduction to Web Development. The Software Guild looks for applicants who are self-starters with high levels of motivation and tenacity who know when to ask for help, work well with others, keep positive attitudes in the face of adversity, love learning and problem-solving, and are excited to build cool new things.

Recent Software Guild Reviews: Rating 4.69

all (159) reviews for Software Guild →

Recent Software Guild News

Read all (57) articles about Software Guild →
  • Java

AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, Java, JavaScript, jQuery, MySQL
    Start Date December 06, 2021
    Our 12-week Java coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with an average of over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code ’
    December 06, 2021 - Online Apply by November 19, 2021
    January 10, 2022 - Online Apply by December 22, 2021
    February 07, 2022 - Online Apply by January 21, 2022
  • .NET/C#

C#, CSS, HTML, .NET
    Start Date December 06, 2021
    Our 12-week .NET/C# coding bootcamp teaches you everything you need to know to enter junior developer roles in the workforce. We provide career preparation, portfolio development and help with your resume and the interview process. Learn from expert instructors with over 10 years of industry experience in our classrooms remotely. Experience immersive education and change your life by learning software development skills.
    Options available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Refund / GuaranteeRefund yes, Guarantee no
    ScholarshipThe Software Guild offers several different discounts, including for ‘Women in Tech’ and ‘Veterans Who Code’
    December 06, 2021 - Online Apply by November 19, 2021
    January 10, 2022 - Online Apply by December 22, 2021
    February 07, 2022 - Online Apply by January 21, 2022
  • Marty Kramlinger • Junior Developer • Graduate

Read this entire review

Rigor and classroom experince/atmosphere:

My experience at the software guild was overall a very good one.  The program began with clear expectations that the experience would be a lot of work, which it was.  The first four weeks I tried to work 16 hours each weekend; I made it work, but there was no free time.  If you seriously do this, expect that you won't be able to work.  It truly is a 60ish hour/week commitment.  Getting a private and/or parent loan would be worth it.

My class--the .Net/C# cohort--started with 12 students.  One student dropped out the beginning of week three (meaning he only got half his money back).  The student seemed really overwhelmed each class, and it wasn't very surprising to me that he dropped out.  However, the instructors didn't know he was considering dropping out, and I am sure that if he came to them and said, "I'm having a lot of problems, considering dropping out, etc..", the instructors would have worked differently with him and made sure that he stayed in.  I am pretty sure he didn't try to initiate such a conversation.  At the time of his departure, he was at basically the same level of two other classmates who finished the program and got jobs within 30 days of graduating.  Also, it seemed like he could have been more diligent with the pre-work, which is essential to a successful experience.  Anyways, classroom experience:

Effectively there were 11 of us students in the class, with two instructors, Alec and Kevin.  During the time Alec was the "lead" instructor and Kevin was technically an teaching assistant, but they effectively were co-teachers with Alec covering a majority of the lectures and providing comprehensive, broad knowledge of the curriculum, and Kevin providing in depth .NET experience, and also being a great rephrase-r, mainly coming from his many years experience as a instructor of community college computer science classes. Small disadvantages that they have--Alec can sometimes forget what it is like to truly be a beginner, and during our cohort, Kevin did not seem as familiar as I expected him to be with the newer technologies--bootstrap, angular, and MVC. He ended up learning a lot with us--I'm guessing the current cohort will be different.  In the end, they covered the opposite's disadvantages.  (Also there was another teaching assistant which would come in to help us between 4 and 7pm 2-3 nights/week.)  Also, both instructors have GREAT attitudes, and I found them very easy to work with.

The curriculum is great--all the experienced software developers that I've spoken to and now worked with think that our curriculum was great.  Contrary to what one might think, most people with computer science majors are stoked when they hear about my experience.  During the experience, different people found different parts of the curriculum challenging.  .NET seemed fine for me and javascript and a few other things broke my brain; for others, the opposite was true.

I looked forward to going to class every day.

Job assistance:

I thought the job assistance was the most robust job assistance any academic program of which I've been a part.  Firstly, the entire program is geared towards what will be expected of you as a junior developer in 2016. Secondly, there is a clear calendar of events at the beginning of the program.  The first activity is a resume writing session four weeks in, then at about six weeks there's something every week, consisting of mock interviews, recruiter meetings, "speed-dating"-style interviews with members of their employer network (employers who agree to consider us, thereby saving money from skipping recruiters), very successful speakers, alumni connect events, etc.  Thirdly, I accepted a job four weeks before the bootcamp ended.  I think the (1) largest reason why I got one so soon was that I was so well prepared for my interviews (total of 3), partly from the job assistance and partly from the fact that my mom is very business oriented and I've had that shit on lock since high school, the next largest reason (2) yes, is definitely all the technical stuff I learned in the program, and the last reason (3) is that I definitely think that having an undergraduate degree from a well respected liberal arts college helped me.  This shouldn't be a huge barrier for people who don't have an undergrad degree, especially considering the experience trumps all in technology, but I do suspect that it helped.  The last reason that I think the job assistance is so effective is that 5 or 6 of the 11 of us had jobs on the day we graduated.

General last notes:

• This program absolutely does what it says it does. Important to note that in the twin cities there are way more .Net jobs than Java jobs, however.
    • The program is certainly intensive, and the most stressful time is the beginning few weeks.  Honestly I was way more stressed out when I was doing the pre-work.
    • Everyone is in the same boat.
    • This program is best suited and indeed designed for people with prior education or work experience.  12 weeks is not that long to not have a job, you working professionals!  Do it! Also, mainly because I think Bachelor degrees are life enriching and inherently open more doors for people than not having them, I would encourage a high school senior to enroll in an undergraduate degree program in computer science instead of this program.  That will open the broadest variety of doors in the long term, and getting a job in a professional environment requires a certain degree of maturity that a lot of high school seniors don't have.  These young people will still get jobs like the others, but I think it will take longer.  Also, they must be damn sure they want to be a developer because it is 100% technical.
    • I encourage anyone who vaguely considers this program to do it.

That's all, at the moment!  I hope you found this review helpful, descriptive, and not exalting.  I might edit it later, just for clarity in writing.

• Chandler Molbert • Associate Consultant • Graduate

Upon completing the bootcamp one can expect to have a good foundation upon which to build a career in IT/software dev.

People in the cohort I attended arrived with varying levels of experience with java and coding. Any student that applied themselves should have left the cohort with better skill and knowledge than they arrived with.

The curriculum stives to provide each student with a foundation to begin a career. I appreciated the hands-on learning, the intensive projects, the support from instructors and staff, and the support from my fellow students. Overall it was a great experience. I am currently employed in the IT field, using my new skills and knowledge.

• Jonathan Ecklund • Student

As someone with about 20 years of front-end experience, I really wanted to expand my knowledge of all things 'back-end.' Before I started the course I had never even been directly exposed to SQL or any IDEs.  By the end of the 12 week program, not only did I have an incredibly comprehensive understanding of C# and .NET, but I had developed the capacity to rapidly understand and decipher other similar frameworks.  The atomic level of understanding we developed in the course intricately informs all the work I do now... And makes me look like a whiz at work.

The instructor, Alec, was excellent.  His knowledge of everything the course covered was encyclopedic, and he and the staff did a good job of prepping us for the day-to-day experience of working In development.   I cannot recommend him enough, and the staff, TAs, and other resources were gracious, knowledgable, and helpful.

I love my new career- much more than I had anticipated.  The SWCG Bootcamp offered much more than I had expected at the outset, and I feel that everything I learned has allowed me to excel in my current position.

• Aaron • Developer • Student

I am a recent graduate of the first .Net/C# cohort in Louisville, KY. My experience from the cohort was fantastic. The class was an immersive 9AM-5PM class, and after the first 4 - 5 weeks (once you master C#), it becomes more of a job, rather than a class.

What I mean by that, is Jason (The .Net Instructor) does give lectures in the class still, but on Monday, he will give you a project(a Web App) to do, that needs to be completed by Friday. This translates into how a job would act outside of the guild.

Jason was always there to help, but wasn't shadowing over you the entire time. We had a rule: If you get stuck on something for more than thirty minutes, go to him to seek help. Something else that was more, job-like than you'd expect.

Of course, the main goal of this class is to get you hired somewhere.  If you graduate the class, Jacob is there to help you secure employer connections and lead you in the right path. During the last few weeks at the guild Jacob was creating opportunities to connect to leading job employers from around louisville, and even further away! He created an "employer speed dating" day where the apprentices could schedule to meet with each employer, to help get a sense of what each employer has to offer, and vice-versa with the employer.

By no means was that the only thing Jacob did for us. Upon graduating he was also in touch with me every week, usually at least twice a week. Being the first graduating class, and with the awkward graduation date(1 week before Christmas). It was tough looking for a job. Jacob stayed in touch though, continously giving leads that he could find via email, and phone calls.

In the end, though, this all boils down to you. You need to stay committed to the program, in more ways that one. When attending class you cannot just sit through a class and expect to absorb all the knowledge to suceed. Participation is the key to being successful in this program. Particiapting by asking questions when you don't quite understand, attend meetings(outside the class hours) that the guild suggest you attend, and overall interacting with the class and the instructor.  By the end of this program, the guild is not required to get you a job. The guild will assist you by any ways necessary, but ultimately it all relies on your participation. If you can follow everyone's advice, you will be successful.

If it wasn't for the guild, I wouldn't have gotten to where I am today, and would still be stuck working retail, and not living up to my potential. I have just gotten my first job as a developer, and owe a lot of my success to The Software Guild.

- 1/26/2016
    Emily Flower • Web Programmer • Graduate
    I am a graduate of the second .Net cohort in Minneapolis. Attending the class was the best decision I have ever made. I am employed as a Web Programmer and continue to expand my knowledge development daily. My experience at the Guild not only gave me a great base understanding of coding, it provided me tools for continued learning.
    The aptitude test ensures that candidates are capable of absorbing this type of intense learning. The course pre-work is imperative and so beneficial. It absolutely set the pace for the rest of the course. The course material covers a broad enough range that one's ability to get through the course says a lot to potential employers.

Pros:
    My instructor was AMAZING. Alec had a way of making the most intense, stressful times doable. His demeanor was vital to the wonderful atmosphere of my cohort. He took time to review any lesson we asked, either in a group basis or one on one. He was so committed to our success it pushed us to work harder.
    The rest of the staff! Everyone was encouraging, enthusiastic and supportive. The Program Manager, Johanna, went way above and beyond to help us in every way she could. From treats on Fridays to keep us going to calling personal favors. Jo made personal calls to many friends she has in the industry to work with us. We had offers for references, mentorship, career counseling, etc.
    The COURSE. The work is fascinating, the pace is intense, by the time you grasp a topic you're on to the next. The material is relevant, and laid out to be absorbed.

Cons:
    I don't think enough emphasis was placed by the recruitment people on the time and energy it may take us to land interviews and jobs. It wasn't until later in the course, when the staff at our location talked with us, that we realized we needed to prepare for the possibility of not having a job right after the class was over. Being that the participants are all adults, presumably with financial responsibilities, families, etc., the recruitment staff seemed more concerned with enrolling us than with making sure we understood we'd need the time and resources to commit to full-time job searching after the program finished. Enrollment also could have done more to explain the intensity of the course.
    There was confusion (as should be expected in a program this new) about requirements for pre-coursework. Potential students need to have access to appropriate software for those assignments.

All in all, the program is great and getting better. I would (and have!) highly recommend it to anyone with any interest in coding. I am in an amazing field with awesome career opportunities. My time at the Guild was sometimes a blur, but worth every moment. I am so grateful I had the opportunity.
  • Not a fan
    - 1/25/2016
    Andy • Graduate

The end game for me was employment.  While that was promised by the creator of the program on day 1, that did not happen for me.  It happened for most, but not me.  The communication from the program has become non-existent, with the exception of an email asking me to fill out this review.  I enjoyed the program, the teacher was cool, my classmates were awesome, and if I would have found employment like they promised I would be very pleased with the whole situation.  I just don't think they had a contingency plan if things didn’t go the way they hoped.

• Worth it
    - 1/22/2016
    Mohamed J • Software Developer • Student

Taking this course was a great experience, it was very challenging but also taught me alot about software development and about working hard and persevering in over challenging situations. Also the in-house job fair at the end of the course was the reason I had a job already in hand before I graduated. I am grateful to all the instructors including Alec, Kevin, and the staff Jo and Kipp. This experience is worth it and it will help launch your career as a software developer.

• Do it
    - 1/16/2016
    Kate Williamson • Associate .Net Developer • Graduate

I graduated at the end of July 2015 from the .Net course in Minnesota.  Entering a computer programming field of education and career path was a giant leap for me and it turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made.

The staff at the Software Guild were supportive, informative, and fun to be around.  The amount of information being presented in a short amount of time can be overwhelming but there are resources to help deal with the stress; classmates, staff, course materials and exercises.  Our instructor was always willing to answer questions and provide follow-up lectures when needed.

In addition to programming information the Guild provides career assistance with resume workshops, employer networking events and mock interviews.  This is very helpful to those entering this field for the first time and need to create a technical resume and prepare for technical interviews.

I am now in a job where I am constantly learning new skills and contributing to a company and team that I respect and enjoy being around.

• Chad Rehm • Web Developer • Graduate

I graduated from the SWG on July 31, 2015.  I got my job at Kinetic Data a week and a half after the course ended.  I love what I do.

I've never thought that I would find feild where everone was like me and into the same things that I'm into.  Yesterday I was walking though another companies shop looking at the pictures on the walls and the trinkes at people desk.  There where Majic cards, Star Trek posters,  and a room theamed after Lord of the Rings.

The only reason I am in the position that I am today is because of the SWG.  Thank you to Joanna Rizzo, Alec Wojciechowski and Eric Wise.

• No Regrets
    - 1/4/2016

Prior to attending the Software Guild, I had a job. But now, I have a career in a field that I love, and that wouldn't be possible without the Guild. I took a huge risk leaving a job that paid well to pursue something that I was passionate about. Before the course was even completed, I had already received an offer and started working the very next week in a great company where I can grow as a developer. And it just so happens that it pays more. The instructor was amazing: Austyn went above and beyond, putting up with all my questions, both the good and the bad. I attended the Java cohort, but am currently working for a company that develops in both C# and Java. While I didn't learn any C# in class, I am very comfortable extrapolating what I do know about programming in Java and seeing similarities between languages in order to quickly understand what is happening in the code. 10/10, would attend again.

• Andrew West • Jr. Software Developer • Graduate

Alec and Kevin, the .NET instructors, are knoledable and enthusiastic teachers, They challenged us and helped us learn a lot in a very short ammount of time.  The job placement assistance by Jo and Kip was invaluable as well.  They really husseled to put a lot of oppertunities in front of each student.  While I focused on learning they helped me apply to a dozen good positions and get several interviews.  Half our class had jobs before we even graduated.

There are a few orginizational issues since this is the first year of classes for this bootcamp, such as some quizes having wrong answers.  But they are taking feedback seriously, so I wouldn't be concerned and they were realitivly minor issues anyway.

• Troy Laird • Software Developer • Graduate

I developed an interest in software development after taking a couple weeks of an intro to java course at my local community college. I realized I’d have to take at least 2-4 more years of dull college courses in order to begin working as a developer. That’s when I started researching programming bootcamps. After some research I decided to interview with The Guild. It was the closest camp to my hometown, Pittsburgh, and the price tag (10k) is far more affordable than other programs. Additionally, it’s one of the only camps that teaches the .NET and Oracle stacks – two foundational languages of modern enterprise systems. When I saw the opportunity The Guild offered, and its proven results through the success of its  prior members, I was sold.

Before going to The Guild I had attended and promptly dropped out of  3 different undergrad programs in 3 years. I could never see how the costs of a university (both time and money) could be justified, especially when taking classes that were mandatory but seemed entirely irrelevant to learning a skill and getting a job. I thought I would never find an educational system I truly enjoyed - The Guild proved me wrong. The apprenticeship model is one that many vocational schools employ and one which suits software development well. Throughout my time in the cohort, there was always an experienced instructor available to offer guidance. They were enthusiastic and more than willing to help if I was struggling with a concept or wanted to know more about a particular topic. Not only did they teach the material in the curriculum but their enthusiasm for technology and development is contagious. You’ll leave The Guild with an even bigger appetite for learning and improving your newfound skills.

A little over 6 months ago I was a food delivery driver. Before that I held various gigs within the service industry. Clearly I didn’t have the best credentials for a job in IT. Despite that I accepted an offer in the 11th week of the cohort and two weeks after  graduating in July, I was working as a .NET developer for a company in downtown Cleveland. (Though I studied Java, the fundamentals they teach allow you to be ‘language agnostic’ - you can easily transfer from one language to another. I’m currently developing in C#, VisualBasic and AngularJS, none of which I studied in depth at The Guild) As long as you have  a desire to learn and a determination to succeed, The Guild will give you the skills to become an entry level software developer. More than that, they prepare you for the job search by critiquing your resume as well as conducting mock tech interviews. They also provide networking events through which you can meet prospective employers and recruiting agencies. Though the job search is initially intimidating, The Guild helps you every step of the way.

If you want to be a developer and you’re looking for the next step to take, look no further. The Software Guild is your ticket to a new career and a new life!

Software Guild Outcomes

92% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 35 graduates included in report:

90% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.