shecodes-logo

SheCodes

Lisbon

SheCodes

SheCodes offers part-time coding bootcamps and workshops for women in Lisbon, Portugal and online. SheCodes+ is a 10-week, part-time, full stack web development bootcamp covering HTML, CSS, JavaScript (ES6), React, Git, and GitHub, taught in-person and online. SheCodes also offers short 4-week and weekend beginner courses online and in Lisbon. SheCodes’ mission is to bridge the gender gap in tech programming. The women-only course is donation based and only asks that students donate enough to cover logistics costs.

SheCodes is open to beginners and aims to provide those who want to enter the tech industry with a basic overview of the skills needed to succeed. Women interested in joining SheCodes+ (advanced course) must first complete a short online application meant to assess their motivations. After being approved, applicants will begin the program.

During the course, SheCodes instructors help students build projects using in-demand technologies which they can show to future prospective employers. Instructor Matt Delac is a Full-Stack Engineer specializing in JavaScript and Ruby and has worked with international tech companies such as Envato, Google, and AirBnb. Every student will have a 45-minute mentorship session with Matt to help guide their learning and long-term career.

Recent SheCodes Reviews: Rating 4.87

all (51) reviews for SheCodes →

Recent SheCodes News

• SheCodes Plus

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, React.js
      Lisbon
      Students will learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (ES6). Students will work with Git and GitHub to learn how to manage their code. They’ll also be taught, React, one of the industry’s most used frameworks.
      Interview

• Rebeca Martín Rincón  User Photo
      Rebeca Martín Rincón • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I found information about the 4-week-workshop that SheCodes offers just by chance while surfing the net.

I decided to give it a try since lately I have become more interested at coding and the price seemed to be affordable (I currently live in  The Netherlands and courses and workshops can be really expensive here). I love learning new things and this workshop has been a nice challenge for me, even though I already knew a few little things about coding (mostly HTML).

Through the workshop, you will get a taste of HTML, CSS and a bit of JavaScript, and you will be using VS Code editor. You will have challenges, homework and a final project to prepare.

In case you have any doubt or you need help, you will be able to address the tutor and other collegues through the Slack channel.

This workshop also allowed me to explore my creativity and think about personal future projects. And definitely, it is an opportunity if you consider to change career and want to try if coding will be an option for you. SheCodes allows you to take part in affordable fun workshops.

• So So
      - 10/18/2019
      Diana Amiri  User Photo
      Diana Amiri • Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended to SheCodes Live Workshop, so I can only talk about that.

The course itself is instructed nicely, however I believe the curriculum was not very well suited to the amount of money that you pay (at my time it was 99 euros). you are going to have Courses and homeworks for 2 weeks, and the whole third week is dedicated to your final project, which I believe it could be better if they would have some material for the 3rd week too (Matt is going to have live webinar for 4 times in total, once per week).

If you are brand new in coding then yes that is a good way to start. Also the slack-chat environment has a really nice, helpful and friendly atmosphere. BUT for someone who has a tiny little bit of coding experience I wont recommend this course, there are other courses online on edX and Coursera with more challenging homeworks and syllabus. Even online free youtube videos are available that can teach you as same level as this course or even better (for example search for mmtuts on youtube).

Shecodes is at the starting point of its journey though, so most probably they are going to improve themselves and their materials through the time.

• Tonia Maffeo  User Photo
      Tonia Maffeo • Marketing Manager • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I started this course to get a bit more into the magic of coding and see if it could be something that matches with me and my mindset and I really loved it.
      The course is very well structured and Matt is really good explaining all the classes. The fact that you can always ask for help on the Slack channel gives you also the strength to follow this path knowing that actually you are not alone and that there is a class that can support you besides Matt.
      I've learned things that I never thought I could really enjoy, HTML, CSS and a bit of Javascript, while learning I was saying to myself "Oh my God, this is really great". I suggest to anybody to try it!

• Verena Cascaes Bandeira Vianna  User Photo
      Verena Cascaes Bandeira Vianna • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

The SheCodes Workshop was a wonderful experience. I have found it through an Instagram ad after searching for bootcamps for not experienced coders. They caught my attention beacause of the ladies exclusiveness and I found great to start learning to code with other women. The "Ok, let's see what happens" was transformed to "Oh, mu God, I can code myself!". The content is great and we have learned tons of things for two days. HTML, CSS and Javascript. Every topic has exercises and practice.

Besides the knowlege, the team is great. From Matt, the tutor, to the girls at the support team, coffee, cookies, wine... They did everything to make us feel welcome and confortable.

There's an online support, homework, chats, everything helps to keep us going on with our codind skills.

I really recommend SheCodes!

• A great experience
      - 9/30/2019
      Suellen Espirito Santo  User Photo
      Suellen Espirito Santo • Interior Designer • Verified via LinkedIn

This is a great expericence to learn code, I learned so much in two days, SheCodes is the best way to start Learn HTML, CSS Codes and JavaScript. The whole team is wonderful, I had a great experience. I highly recommend it.

• Margarida Costa  User Photo
      Margarida Costa • Project Manager • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

for me SC was a great coding experience

First to get to know the logic of code and the principles

Then, due to its amazing environment. A judgment free environmental where we have space to ask questions and learn with the team effort.

• Bettina Muzzio  User Photo
      Bettina Muzzio • Designer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

This 2-day workshop was great for having that first contact with coding. Matt was an awesome instructor and everything was better than I expected.

• Leonor Pereira  User Photo
      Leonor Pereira • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Loved the whole experience of the course. The price is very affordable and allows you to have a better idea of the work that is developed in this area in order to understand if there is in fact student interest in the subject. Matt is an excellent teacher who exposes knowledge easily and effectively to make it easy for everyone to understand. From SheCodes I discovered a new passion in my life, programming!

• Marie  User Photo
      Marie • UX Designer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I did the onlive version of Shecodes Plus, which gave me a lot of flexibility. It's a very efficient introduction to all the basics of HTML, CSS and JavaScript, all you need to start dig deeper. The instructor is nice and helpfull and it's a pleasure to get integrated in a community of amazing girls. If you're not 100% sure if coding is for you, this is the best way to find out!

• Farah Fahmawi   User Photo
      Farah Fahmawi • Architect Designer • Verified via LinkedIn

I really enjoyed each class we had at Shecodes! Mat is a great teacher I easily learned how to code, I joined this workshop thinking I would learn the basics of coding, but I've learned much more than I thought it would be possible in just 2 days.Intense, but very well managed by a great humour and time discipline. It exceeded my expectations! I highly recommended, I felt inlove with coding on the same time I had zero knowledge!

• Great course
      - 7/29/2019
      Susana Simões   User Photo
      Susana Simões • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I participated in SheCodes 22.0 in Lisbon and I just loved it. It was a great weekend of learning and knowing new people. All the team was great and it is astonishing how Matt was able to teach us so much in such a short period of time. And in a funny way!
    • Débora Babo  User Photo
      Débora Babo • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

It was such a great opportunity to learn a little bit about programming! It was a great introduction to this "mysterious world"! Matt is a great teacher!!

• Carol  User Photo
      Carol • Verified via LinkedIn

I did the She Codes 12 hours workshop in Porto in July 2019.

She Codes is a great course to get in touch for the first time with Front-End Web Development learning HTML, CSS and Javascript.

Definetly worth it for who wants to get to know coding!

• Great experience
      - 6/24/2019
      Manuela Cardoso  User Photo
      Manuela Cardoso • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The fast-paced introdutory workshop to web development (HTML/CSS/JS) was well worth the time and effort. It was a wake up call for many of the students: coding isn't easy and require a certain state of mind. But it can be fun and, with the guidance of Matt and team, by the end of merely a weekend most if not all of us managed to make a simple yet interactive website all by ourselves. Addicionaly, we were explained the current and future need of employers and how to better make it count. All on top of a relaxed and welcoming enviroment. For me, it confirmed my will to pursue this path with like-minded peers.

• Great introduction
      - 6/24/2019
      Cor  User Photo
      Cor • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

SheCodes was a great way to learn the basics of coding as well as more information about the industry. Matt is a great teacher and makes the coding world feel so much more accessible. I plan to take what I have gained from this workshop and further develop my skills to hopefully create new opportunities in the future.

• Vanessa Espirito Santo  User Photo
      Vanessa Espirito Santo • Office Assistant • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The SheCodes Workshop consists of a weekend-long dive into the basics of code. The program is designed for ladies who don't have any experience with programming and will offer insights on HTML, CSS and JavaScript, teaching how the 3 of them work together. The ladies will also get notions of the possible career paths in tech that they can pursue, which I also found valuable.

Matt was always nice and patient with all the questions throughout the weekend. All the staff were great and did their best to provide a valuable experience to the participants.

I recommend this workshop to anyone who desires to learn more about tech and/or to refresh concepts.

• Amazing experience
      - 6/16/2019
      Eymi Basto  User Photo
      Eymi Basto • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

She codes is a great experience. I learned a lot about coding. Our teacher Matt was very pacient and had wonderful playlists. I had a good time and I'm motivated to keep learning about coding.

• Susana Ramos  User Photo
      Susana Ramos • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

SheCodes is a great opportunity to learn the basics about programming with HTML, CSS and JavaScript and get to know the Front-End and Product Development processes. The hands on approach and Matt’s insights really helped me to understand more about this world and keep on learning. I definitely recommend!

• SheCodes Workshop
      - 6/14/2019
      Leonor Carvalho  User Photo
      Leonor Carvalho • Verified via LinkedIn

SheCodes Workshop was amazing!! I think it's the perfect introduction WS to start learning code and frontend things! Thanks one more time!

• Sofia  User Photo
      Sofia • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

SheCodes workshop is an amazing way to get introduced to HTML, CSS and JavaScript. During a two day course, you learn the basics of programming and the languages already mentioned. One could think that in two day you could not possibly understand all of this information, but given its friendly "classroom" environment, the teaching method (say - show - practice) and the continuous application of your knowledge (either through the classroom exercises, homework or the final project) it is certain that you will remember and fully understand the content. Plus, everybody is amazingly friendly - Matt, the volunteers who are always available and the students. I would 100% recommend it!

• Great Experience!
      - 6/12/2019
      Ana Macedo da Cunha Pereira  User Photo
      Ana Macedo da Cunha Pereira • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

My decision to sign up for this course was 100% right. I wanted to try if coding was a good option for me, and it definitely helped me a lot since I’ve been able to get to know how simple and fun coding can be.

Matt is great, the workshop is very intense, and it helped to figure it out what kind of developers we want to become.

• Ângela  User Photo
      Ângela • Verified via LinkedIn

She Codes was an awesome experience! With a fast-paced induction into HTML, CSS and JavaScript it was amazing to feel like I was able to create a landing page from scratch in just a few hours. If coding seems way too much for you, Matt will help you feel motivated and empowered throughout this really fun weekend!

• Gina M. • Community Support + UX Designer

I honestly came out of this 2-day workshop with SO much more confidence and knowledge about front-end development—particularly Javascript. I have taken a total of 3 in-person web development courses:

1) University course
      2) General Assembly
      3) SheCodes

This was the only one where I felt that I truly understood Javascript, which was my end goal. I HIGHLY recommend this course because for the value and cost you cannot go wrong.

Matt conducts the workshop with humor, knowledge, no-nonsense, and ACTUAL quality control. You can't get your certificate unless you complete the final project, which I feel really ensures that there is actual meaning behind the certificate of completion, unlike a lot of other certification courses.

I'm definitely considering doing the SheCodes plus once I finish my other course, since I want to explore more front-end :)

Thank you to the SheCodes team for the wonderful experience.

• Great experience!
      - 10/2/2019
      Lívia Jambo • Student

I attended SheCodes Workshop in Lisbon and I just loved it ! I was really curious about coding, but I was also a little bit afraid that I wouldn't be able to understand it. I had a great time during the classes and, most important, I found it is not that hard since it was really well explained. I hope I can learn more in the next classes.