san-diego-code-school-logo

San Diego Code School

San Diego, San Diego

San Diego Code School

San Diego Code School offers a 16-week, full stack web development course in Escondido, California. Over 16 weekends, students will learn HTML, CSS, JQuery, JavaScript, DevOps, and Databases. The bootcamp is an immersive, hands-on experience where students watch videos, take notes, complete coding challenges and attend flipped classroom forums. Instructors are constantly evaluating the curriculum using an Agile approach, with input from employers and alumni. While in-person classes are held on Saturdays and Sundays, students are expected to commit 30-40 hours per week, studying at home or in the classroom during the week.

Prospective students should have beginner level coding experience. Graduates will earn a certificate from SDCS. Each student will be prepared for multiple collaboration situations in the workforce such as pair partnering, group projects, mob programming, and individual projects. Students are exposed to the principles of high performing engineering teams and learn to adapt and thrive in challenging situations faster and more effectively than they ever could prior to attending the program. Job placement assistance is offered until students get a job.

Recent San Diego Code School Reviews: Rating 4.53

all (17) reviews for San Diego Code School →

Recent San Diego Code School News

• Learned a lot!
    - 2/8/2019
    Lydia Alston  User Photo
    Lydia Alston • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

When I was researching coding boot camps in San Diego my friend recommended working with Michael Roberts since she had completed his curriculum and got a job. That gave me confidence in San Diego Code School and in their program.

I just graduated, and looking back, it’s been a challenging yet great learning experience. The curriculum covers the most popular tools for building a full stack application, like JavaScript, React, Redux, Node.js, Loopback as well as GitHub, CircleCi. There are 4-5 projects required for each module, which provides a lot of coding practice. I now have an appreciation for the amount of  work I did - I learned by coding every day. The last four weeks you are teamed up with other students to finish the final project. That was the most challenging part since you have to use all the knowledge learned plus self-study any new tool you have to utilize for the project. This is also part of the reason I prefer to learn in a classroom environment rather than remotely because you get the opportunity to work in a team and learn from other students.

Michael is a very knowledgeable instructor and very good at showing students how to solve a problem instead of just providing you the straight answer. You do need to research on your own before asking for help. Now he is helping me review my resume and start the job search process.

• Cavan Stewart  User Photo
    Cavan Stewart • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    From the beginning of my time at San Diego Code School, I was welcomed by a helpful community of aspiring software developers and a knowledgeable industry veteran in Michael Roberts. The way the course is setup was perfect for me. It encourages cooperation between classmates and Michael acts as a fail safe in case you are completely lost. This really teaches you to be resourceful and able to learn new things individually which is a skill required in this industry. Additionally, Wesley was added as an instructor while I was there which provided even more assistance when you hit roadblocks.

The group projects were especially helpful in preparing me for real world development. I learned best practices which impressed interviewers when they asked me if I've programmed in a team setting. I strongly believe I would not have stood out as an applicant unless I had this kind of experience.

The career services that they offer were fantastic and helped me refine my resume/portfolio and offered opportunities in the form of career fairs every month. After the program, you can keep working in the work space and there are weekly meetups for creating projects with your fellow graduates. I personally got a job the week after I graduated.

Honestly, I don't think I would have had a better experience at any other code school. The price point is a steal and it will pay off exponentially as long as you keep working hard and coding every day.
    Response From: Mike Roberts of San Diego Code School
    Title: Founder, CEO
    Wednesday, Feb 05 2020
    Hey, Thanks for your feedback. You worked hard and we are happy to hear about how you successfully started a career so quickly. It makes my day to hear that you gained a lot of value and had such a great experience. We are also excited to have Wes on board and know he will help us do big things for our community in 2020 and beyond. On behalf of the entire team congratulations!
  • Cash :-*  User Photo
    Cash :-* • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I've been asked by numerous students via LinkedIn, Slack, and text message to write a review of my experience because they “know [I’ll] be honest,” “don't need the ‘employment services,’” and they are afraid to share their true experience for fear of retaliation and/or ostracism, yet want prospective students to “know what they are getting into.” I hadn’t written anything to date because, honestly, I couldn’t find myself caring too much about speaking up for the people who watched what happened to me and other students in real time happen and never stood up for us—yet sent plenty of private messages of “support, empathy, or solidarity.” Because I am a person for the people and believe in standing up for what is right, however, I’ll share. I keep receipts; screenshots, text messages, and audio recordings, so, denial is cute and all, but receipts don’t lie. Watch—my review won’t get a response from the owner because, how can you respond to this?

<br>

I relocated to San Diego from Texas days before the beginning of “class” solely for the 4-month membership to a dimly lit and poorly maintained co-working space with little to no parking-- I mean, “full stack immersion bootcamp." What I got was the opportunity to constantly be torn down, belittled, mansplained, patronized, gaslit, and discriminated against (ask me about how Michael Roberts pulled me into his office one day to share how he thought I would be more ‘grateful’ for the opportunity to get into tech as a black women and more ‘mindful’ of “playing into the negativity” of others’ complaints about sexism and lack of resources because, “as a minority and member of the LGBTQ community, you would think [I] would be more sympathetic to his position as a black man trying to run a business.” Yeah, I don’t know wtf that has to do with code school, either, but he had this conversation with me MORE than once. Fun times. Even more fun times because I have many of these conversations recorded.)

<br>

You will be given access to a ‘curriculum’ that you are expected to go through at your own pace—but somehow always be told you are behind and disappointing them, to then be told that, while you were not, truly, behind, that this was their way of ‘motivating,’ and that it usually works for most students to get them to graduate early. Lol what?

<br>

Oh, and don’t be fooled. This is not a “school.” The owner/“mentor” (because a teacher he is not) will constantly remind you of this and how he is NOT a teacher, but a ‘guide’ lol a guide to help you decipher the grammatically incorrect and error riddled GitHub repositories and out of date or broken links to Facebook lives or TED talks about some old man’s journey to create a system/program/app you will not be learning about in your course, I suppose—though, he doesn’t do that, either. He will stare at you blankly until you just walk away. His “assistant,” [name redacted], will then come to you later, privately, quietly, to answer your questions and agree that the errors render much of the course useless to someone with no CS background. Privately and quietly, though.

<br>

You will be lured in by the price and promise of a flexible schedule, coaching, support, mentorship, and post-graduate employment assistance. You will not receive any of the above. You WILL receive, however, sometimey access to a co-working space with harsh lighting, no parking, a room full of people you are never introduced to—yet expected to befriend and ask for help, only to be shown how to google the answers to the plagiarized “lessons” in your curriculum because “[they] don’t get it, either,” and an extremely rude and homophobic woman who isn’t fit to bag your thrift finds at the local 25 cent store, let alone handle your… what does she even do, honestly, besides process your non-refundable payment and sit in on meetings she admits to having no knowledge about to play the mommy dearest role and utilize basic Psych 101 tactics to attempt to break down your self-esteem so that you can be “rebuilt” into their version of an obedient, low to medium wage worker.

<br>

This is a very low budget boys club, the mecca for boys lacking in testosterone and searching for the opportunity to not feel like an incel for once in their lives. There is no integrity to be found in this back alley basement, and, if you are a woman (especially if you are a member of any additional minority class), keep a box of tissues in your bag, because you WILL be bullied, ganged up on, and made to cry, multiple times. Your intelligence will constantly be insulted, your sex will constantly be brought up, and your ideas/input will be mocked and laughed at, regardless as to whether or not you are the ONLY one in your group completing the exercises correctly.

<br>

At the end of the day, people with little to no adult life experience, people with very low self-esteem, infantile men who are eager to fit into the "boys club," and women who are okay with being belittled, discriminated against, and love being mansplained how to "be the kind of woman the guys in tech will like" will find themselves happy to write a non-descript 5 star review of their experience in exchange for the promise of networking opportunities in a circle in which the "instructor" is still an outsider of himself.

<br>

I can't in good conscience recommend this experience to anyone who makes their own money; if your parents still pay all of your bills and you can afford to waste 8+ weeks of your life being bullied and spoken down to (by someone of below average intelligence-- feel free to ask for stories because, WHEW, these folks were FUNNY), knock yourself out. I suppose your trip down depression lane would make for good blog reading or an entertaining train wreck of a YouTube channel.

<br>

Google is your friend. As are peoples actual job histories. Do your due diligence. Anybody can be who they want to be on the internet. Including [name redacted]. Playas eff up. I took this L like a champ and moved on. Didn’t even threaten any legal action for their many breaches of contract and discriminatory practices. And for those of you who attended this school and witnessed the things I shared here and did nothing about it (except reach out to me privately), please understand that your silence makes you complicit in all of these egregious acts (and, in such a litigious society as ours, liable for damages as well. Receipts, remember?).

<br>

You are responsible for your success. You are also responsible for your life decisions. Should attending SDCS be one of your life decisions, please find me afterwards and tell me your stories so I can laugh at your pain—in solidarity, of course.

Response From: Mike Roberts of San Diego Code School
    Title: Founder, CEO
    Tuesday, Jan 07 2020
    I am sorry you don't feel you were treated fairly. I wish we had an opportunity to speak before you withdrew from our program.

San Diego Code School is committed to equity for all of our students especially those that are women, minorities, LGBTQ, or have special needs. We are proud of our diverse student population and that of our alumni. As you are aware, we conducted an investigation of each of the claims you made while you were enrolled and found zero evidence to support your allegations after interviewing all of our students.

The mean spirited language you used to describe your experience and other people demonstrates your level of passion but doesn't represent the truth. You are still not willing to give the most basic level of courtesy and respect to our students and staff that are working hard every day to create new opportunities.

Based on feedback you gave us while you were in our program we made a lot of effort to provide you and all of our students a quiet space to study, a variety of lighting (although most students prefer less overhead light), and on several occasions, we discussed how to go about locating ample free public parking within a two-minute walk to campus. We are always eager to listen to feedback and to make the experience for all students as supportive as possible.

We wish you well. I still believe you can transition into a technical role if that is what you wish. I would be happy to discuss further with you directly.
  • Frank  User Photo
    Frank • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Great curriculum, good instruction and excellent career services. The support you get from the instructors and the other students are perfect. The course is rigorous and hard but will get you prepared for a job. The best thing I learned was communicating about code which was hard to do with self-studying. The school holds career fairs every month and I was able to land a job from one of them. I'm grateful for Mike and Margaret and all of my fellow students for a wonderful experience.

• Review
    - 11/19/2019

Great school that will provide the value of an expensive coding bootcamp without the super expensive price tag. The school for the price is honestly a steal. You will get as much as you put into the curriculum. Definitely not a bad investment.

• Taylour Pinard  User Photo
    Taylour Pinard • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I have had an excellent experience at San Diego Code School, Michael is a great instructor with a passion for teaching students how to teach themselves and preparing them for the workforce. The project-based curriculum was challenging yet rewarding and I learned a ton.
  • Alumni
    - 8/5/2019
    Gian Delprado  User Photo
    Gian Delprado • Full stack Jr. web developer M.E.R.N. • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I heard about the code school from a friend who had already graduated from this program. I mentioned to him that I was interested in programing and software engineering, so he told me to look into San Diego Code School. I did some reasearch that night and found their website where they advertised a 16 week full stack web development course with additional career services after the program. I signed up, went through their application process and joined the next available cohort. Going into the program i had no knowledge whatsoever of Javascript or web development, but Micheal, Margart and Ben are extremely helpful in keeping you going. Over the course of the 16 weeks students will complete more than 30 projects utilizing the M.E.R.N. stack technologies. When you've reached the 12 week mark, you will begin a month long internship where you work closely with product owners, managers and peers on real world projects. This internship acts as a taste of what its like on the job. The program was intense, but extremely rewarding, because by the end of it all I can confidently say that I can build anything I want with the skills i've learned.

• Samuel Warren  User Photo
    Samuel Warren • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Why is San Diego Code School (SDCS) the best code camp in San Diego? The cuttting-edge technolgy stack you will learn, the access to a career network, the intimacy of the classroom- with instructors that are able to help you in real time in those moments you feel stuck, the camraderie of fellow students who share your goals, instructors who want you to get that job and not just stand on the other side of a transaction, and a unique North County location. Simply put, SDCS delivers a 'coding education' that no other school in San Diego of any sort (code school or traditional university) offers, even if they wanted to.

The passion of the faculty is genuine. It's in the moments when you encounter adversity (trust me there is plenty, this curriculum isn't sugar coated) when you realize how important it is to have instructors that care about your success. It's not a job to them. It's a mission. Personally, I started this school with mininum exposure to HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. It was once magic to me to simply change the colors of text on a screen. By the end of this school, I was creating full-stack applications that had responsive layouts, integrated databases, login and authentication functionality, automated tests, and were deployed on the internet all while using Aglie methods.

It used to be overwhelming to contemplate where to even begin when it came to learn how to code. Now, I feel empowered to say I have a new set of skills as well as a newfound confidence in being able to learn addiitional things on my own, after having finished my education at SDCS. Truth be told, anyone can teach themselves to code. The information is readily available on the internet. But this just makes things so much easier! Being lead by industry professionals that mentor you, telling you what is useful to learn/implement, and perhaps most importantly- what is not, is an invaluable resource that will jumpstart a rewarding and fulfillng career.  If you are thinking about a code school, I can't recommed SDCS enough! They have changed my life and I will forever be grateful to them!

• Andrew Paulino  User Photo
    Andrew Paulino • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    Before taking the program I tried to learn to code on my own through a couple high school classes and self-teaching. It was not working and I realized I really needed help because I would only code for a while and then give up when it got tough.

Fortunately, I went through the program while it was in beta and the price was very affordable. I felt that I got a lot of support from staff and fellow students, so it was not really a problem that it was "remote". Everyone is helpful and I wasn't ever stuck like I was when learning on my own. During the in person meetings forums and mob programming I felt like I was really learning. I got a lot of 1 on 1 help from Michael and I feel that the program really prepared me for the job search and technical interview.

This program helped me land a great job which was something that was a concern for me when I signed up. Even though I live outside of San Diego, I got a lot of help and resources to find a job where I live in LA. Without this program I would not have been able to learn to code quickly. I am so glad I made the choice to attend.

• Highly recommend
    - 11/21/2019
    Ryan • Graduate

I highly recommend San Diego Code School for students who want to learn web development.  Completing the program at this school increased my coding skills and helped me landed a job in the software sector.

• Sherry • Software Engineer • Graduate

I have a background in computer science, but hadn't worked in the field for a long time, so I needed to refresh my tech skills before re-joining the workforce.  Initially I studied on my own through online courses, but realized an in person learning environment would be better.  Thankfully I heard Michael Roberts speak at a Javascript meetup and within a day or two I met with Margaret and Michael and realized SDCS was just what I needed.  I signed up immediately and dove in.

I appreciated that the course was self-paced which meant from the start I could quickly review what I was familiar with, like basic programming concepts, database design, and Javascript, but take more time to learn material new to me, like Redux, Express, Node, and APIs.  I appreciated the blend of learning and coding projects so that I could immediately practice what I learned.  You also end up with a portfolio of project work that is great during the job hunt.  The 4 week group project gave me real-life experience that was invaluable in transitioning into my job - our team of four experienced an Agile project, with daily standups, grooming sessions, sprints, Git workflow, PR reviews, etc...that are critical to my current success as a software engineer.

The other students were great and the environment encourages collaboration and learning from one another.  On Day 1 you might be asking tons of questions, but pretty soon you start answering others' questions, which just helps solidify what you are learning.  We pair programmed every Saturday morning, which is amazing practice for whiteboarding/coding interviews.  We also mob programmed every Sunday, which helps you learn to work with a variety of people who have different competencies and also pushes you to communicate technically effectively.

I landed a job while I was still at SDCS, so I didn't take part in the post-course job services, but I know that Michael will support anyone's career search fully, as long as you are putting in the effort.  And Margaret makes sure everything runs smoothly and that students stay on track.  Michael and Margaret are people I hope to stay in contact with indefinitely.

All in all, my time at SDCS absolutely helped me launch myself back into software engineering. I highly recommend it.

• A great experience
    - 11/19/2019
    Henry Frank • Graduate

I did the 16-week full-stack Javascript program and came in with little to no experience, just some code academy, and free code camp stuff. I had a great experience overall, my main concern was the general hubbub I hear about boot camps just wanting your money and not caring about you or your outcome. I found that to not be the case at all at SDCS. Michael and Margaret are VERY invested in how you are doing and progressing during the course and with your continued growth and job placement after. Michael even runs a "looking for work" group that accepts students from other boot camps whose career services are lacking.

It's not a "hold your hand" kind of place though, they do have what I thought was a solid curriculum and are happy to help whenever you need it but a lot of the skillset they're teaching is how to be resourceful and how to have the tools to continue learning yourself after you're out. It's a good fit for people that are very hardworking and invested. Like a lot of things, it is a place where you can get out what you put in.

I do feel prepared for the job search having finished. I have had a few technical interviews and haven't felt too overwhelmed or underprepared.

Overall I recommend it highly.

• Austin Gray • Software Developer • Student

At a San Diego tech meetup, I heard about a free program offered by SDCS that provided guidance for people searching for an entry level programming position. I learned programming at a different code school that lacked career services, so I was excited to hear that SDCS was willing to support me for free. A few weeks after the job hunt training session taught by Mike, I received my first offer for a full-time programming position. I appreciate Mike at SDCS looking out for me!