rithm-school-logo

Rithm School

San Francisco

Rithm School

Rithm School offers a full-time, 16-week, full stack web development immersion bootcamp in San Francisco, California and will be conducting cohorts remotely through the end of 2020. Their curriculum is centered around JavaScript and Python, and also covers PostgreSQL, Flask, Node, Express, React, Redux, and computer science fundamentals. Rithm School aims to help students to not only gain a deep understanding of the industry but also graduate with a portfolio of real-world projects in which they have been involved. Rithm School was founded in 2016 in San Francisco, California to provide access to a full-time accelerated learning program, with class sizes small enough to provide one-on-one instruction with instructors who have experience in both teaching and web development.

The application process is multi-step, including an online application; a phone call with the Director of Admissions; preparation for the technical interview using a free JavaScript prep course; and a visit to the campus for the problem-solving-focused technical interview. Rithm School will notify students if they are accepted, or suggest more study and a repeat interview.

The final weeks of the Rithm School program involves job readiness preparation and real-time practice. Upon graduation, students receive mentorship from a career coach who can help with connections to companies requiring tech skills, including open opportunities with partner companies, including Slow Ventures network.

Recent Rithm School Reviews: Rating 4.99

all (76) reviews for Rithm School →

Recent Rithm School News

Read all (15) articles about Rithm School →
  • Full-Time Web Development

Front End, JavaScript, Python, React.js, SQL, GitHub
    Start Date October 25, 2021
    LocationSan Francisco
    Rithm’s full-stack web development program is a four-month accelerated learning experience. We take independent and thoughtful students and turn them into confident and creative full-stack developers. We value an intimate learning community and therefore our class sizes are 8-16 students. Our curriculum is centered around JavaScript and Python, and also features two weeks of time to contribute meaningfully to open source.
    Deposit$3,000
    Available through SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans1-3 year plans offered
    ScholarshipRithm awards scholarships of up to $12,000 to support diversity and strong merit.
    October 25, 2021 - San Francisco Apply by October 01, 2021
  • Andrew Mundy  User Photo
    Andrew Mundy • Product Designer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Hi 👋 my name is Andrew Mundy. I was part of Rithm’s second cohort at the beginning of 2017. As we approach a year since the beginning of my developer journey I wanted to outline my experience. I had been living in SF and working in the bar and restaurant industry for some time. I didn’t have a college degree, I hadn’t been in touch with technology, I had a flip phone. Besides some experience with Adobe products, print design, and a little HTML- my knowledge of coding was infantile. So how did I emerge from a 4 month bootcamp and land freelance gigs, a position as a front-end engineer, and most recently join a startup as a product designer and booking meetings with VC’s pitching for millions of dollars in such a short time?

Rithm.

TL;DR

No other bootcamp can provide what Rithm can. Honestly, it’s a question of whats important to the bootcamp you’re considering. Maximum efficient profit or maximum efficient developers. Who will be your instructors? Students of the previous cohort or world-class, seasoned masters? Rithm provides their entire curriculum online for free. They are not afraid of losing potential customers to themselves. They are selling a mentorship not information.

With so many bootcamps to choose from and the seemingly endless amount of Jr devs fighting to enter the workforce. The question is no longer, “I hope I have what it takes to graduate.” But instead, “How will I graduate with a competitive edge over everyone else?”

The founder / instructors include Elie, Matt, and Tim. All ex Galvanize instructors that didn’t just think there was a better way, they knew there had to be. They didn’t just think they could create the next great developer, they knew they could. The dream team lineup- Elie, a natural, legendary instructor. Matt, a published doctor of mathematics.  And Tim, the personable sleeper genius, I think he’s in Mexico right now? Oh, and Whiskey the dog for moral and emotional support.

My cohort was only 8 students to 3 instructors. That meant that no question went unanswered. No person fell between the cracks. It was abundantly clear to everyone in the room if you skimmed through the previous nights homework, the level of accountability was daunting and necessary.

Our final projects included splitting the class into two groups and creating tools for UCSF and Slow Ventures. From choosing what technology stack to outlining an MVP and stretch features, we collaborated with our respective POC’s and created everything from the ground up. Halfway through completion we swapped teams and picked up where the others left off. This simulated the real world situation of walking into a brand new codebase. Going from Python’s Flask to ReactJS proved to be a challenged we were well equipped to tackle.

I never thought I was capable of learning so much so quickly. It was the perfect combination of world-class instructors, intense personal accountability, and real world projects that culminated into an experience that no other bootcamp can provide. Post graduation, I’ve talked to so many grads from other bootcamps and they are always surprised and envious of my experience. I could not recommend Rithm enough. Please, just do yourself a favor and go talk to em, they have free classes all the time. I am also more than happy to answer any further questions you may have or accompany you to any of their free classes. Hit me up! andrewmundy@gmail.com

• Aaron  User Photo
    Aaron • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I'm a graduate from Rithm's second class, and I can unequivocally state that it was a fantastic life decision. But I've read more than my fair share of optimistic bootcamp reviews, so let me say a little why I think so highly of Rithm School. I'll try to be as objective as possible, but its pretty hard to contain how highly I think of this school and its staff.

#1 Class Size: The first reason that Rithm stands out is class size - my cohort was 8, and the current one is 14. This is in stark contrast to every other place I checked out, including the likes of Thinkful, Dev Bootcamp, Hack Reactor, and obviously every university class I've ever been in. It really can't be overstated how hard it is to learn how to code "correctly" when starting out fresh, or coming from a career transition - learning the syntax is not enough, you really need an experienced hand to show you the things you can do, but shouldn't do, and the things you should do, that may not seem obvious. And learning those things is really hard to do when you've got a class size of 40+ with 2 instructors and a few TAs forcing you to go through a support-ticket system to get help - sure you'll learn eventually, but time is the most valuable commodity, and you'll expend way more time struggling as a beginner without a helpful hand to guide you. As an autodidact, I personally love the struggle of learning something new...but its really not an optimal use of time when trying to go from student to employed on life's busy schedule.

#2 -The Instructors: Elie, Tim, and Matt are some of the best instructors I've ever had, and they shine in this high-touch, low teacher-to-student ratio environment. I learned more in one hour with Matt during a technical interview in the admission process than several hours of Stack Overflow and Google-fu - they are gifted, caring teachers willing to go the extra mile for you. I can't overemphasize how important this is - in a previous life, I was a teacher, and as a teacher it was never enough to mechanically rattle off the material to learn for the day. We all know those teachers we had that really stood out, that *cared* about our struggle, our welfare, and actually helping us to internalize and learn something. I struggled in large classes to deliver the care each of my students deserved, but here at Rithm, these gifted instructors are able to shine their brightest in helping *you* truly learn and excel. Even when you really f**k things up and basically make life really difficult for an hour after accidently rewriting git history (that's funny...kind of...you'll see :-P...or maybe not)

#3 Career Support: Probably the most important thing after actually learning the thing, you need to get a job doing the thing, and here once again Rithm is fantastic. It's a common criticism of bootcamps that they teach you, and then throw you out into the wild with next to no career support. I should make a point here that part of Rithm's program includes a class with Outco, a separate organization that is fantastic at what they do in helping you prepare for technical interviews. The two organizations work closely together to help you meet the high bar for Outco admission during your time at Rithm. The final product is top-notch technical learning that transitions into top notch CS fundamentals and interview process learning. And I still get job referrals and postings that are a fit for me from the Rithm staff, so they're not just using this as a cop-out - they're with you until you get a job.

#4 Curriculum: Unlike a lot of places, this place does not teach you just JavaScript across the stack because its the current hot trend in the industry. Rithms uses both JavaScript and Python for teaching you front-end and back-end, and in particular you will learn how to setup a feature from the way it looks, to the data it accesses, to the way it stores that data in the database. You will not simply run a framework and press a button that abstracts away everything happening during an HTTP request/response, or security authorization/authentication, or in manipulating the DOM - you will in fact be taught what these things do each step of the way, how they interact, and tools available to make your life easier. I definitely found working with two different languages on the same product a challenge, but it really opened my eyes to the struggles developers face when working outside of just one language and the styles that a particular language encourages. I want to emphasize that while the *tools* you will learn here are obviously focused on web development, the practices you learn will help you as a software developer no matter what you end up doing. From version control, to test driven development, to Scrums and Agile workflows, they show you quite literally how a "real" developer works in their day-to-day. This is not just work on a pet project and some fancy styling - this is a deep dive into the lives of software developers with a focus on web development tools. Most of all, you'll learn that as software developers,  we must always, always keep learning.

I really can't think of any real cons to the bootcamp itself outside of .you get what you pay for, which in this case is a good deal of $$$. They do scholarships and diversity funds though, so I know there are financial options available. I kind of wish they had bathrooms that didn't echo so much, but that's just me. And one thing to be aware of is that sometimes you hear weird sounds/see questionable figures walking around the area of the Mission. I did not consider this a distraction, but rather a educational experience in the different lives others live in the city. Not everyone is as fortunate to learn and work with all the rewards tech offers, and that's something you will be reminded of here (but no, no physical threats to to be had here).

Want to learn more? Reach out to Rithm - I'm happy to provide info too as an alumni. It's a great investment in a growing area, and while I could go for days about how great the program is or how it compares to other people I've known who have attended the likes of Hack Reactor or Dev Bootcamp, the main points are that you'll learn faster and better here than anywhere else locally, and you'll receive top-notch support in getting a job afterwards. Happy coding!

• Jenny • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I am so glad that I made the choice to attend Rithm School. I found an awesome job within 2 months of graduation, and I think this is only because Rithm has prepared me really well for the job search. There are several things that I really enjoyed at Rithm:
    1. The class size is much smaller than other bootcamps, for my cohort we only had 12 people and each one of us was getting so much attention from our instructors;
    2. The curriculum is really well designed, we learned javascript and python and worked with a bunch of different frameworks such as React, Express and Flask, which are all popular frameworks in the tech world now and are in high demand for software engineer jobs;
    3. For everything we learned, there are exercise designed for each section to make sure that we have enough practice on the new knowledge, every weekend, we would also get a comprehensive assessment that captures all the important things we went through during the week;
    4. We did pair programming almost every single day, which taught us how to work with different people as an engineer, the communication skills we learned from pair programming has really helped with my interviews;
    5. The company project differentiates Rithm from a lot of other bootcamps, we got to work on an in-production code base for a startup, during which we worked on teams with their project leads, practiced professional work flows, and got to experience what it was like to work in a real tech company;
    6. Rithm is a super supportive family and everyone wants us to succeed. Each one of us has a designated advisor, a career coach, all of our instructors and TAs are always available as well, we could ask them anything, even after we graduated they still continue to support us;
    7. The alumni network is super strong, I have got quite a few referrals from Rithm alums and one of them turned out to be my current job!
    All in all, this is truly one of the best decisions I have made in my life. It was intense for sure, but it was also a lot of fun! I met a lot of friends, and I have successfully transitioned to be a software engineer. If you are thinking about attending a software bootcamp, I would highly recommend Rithm School!
  • Great experience
    - 3/31/2022
    Sara • Graduate
    Rithm was recommended to me by an engineer hiring manager I know. He said the caliber of student coming out of Rithm was much hiring than other bootcamps.

The instructors were super knowledgable industry professionals. The course work was challenging and interesting. It was definitely worth the money.

I was hired within 2 months of graduating.

• Vanessa • Graduate
    Rithm is a fantastic bootcamp, you will not be disappointed!

The program is well through out and the curriculum is constantly being improved and updated with sought after skills/knowledge/experience. Class sizes are limited to allow you to have more one on one interactions and feedback from instructors. All of the exercises are relevant and validated to ensure that they are appropriately challenging for students. During the sprints, we worked on technically challenging and interesting projects that were fantastic on my resume. I even presented one of them during a final round interview which really impressed the Engineering Manager I was interviewing with. The company project is a game changer! Being able to work in a professional code base, learning the work flow and then being able to speak to it in your resume/interview really puts you a step above the competition. One small note, I was nervous about being cold called in class but it really kept me on my toes and helped to make sure I was always paying attention.

Fantastic! Instructors have real experience and are able to give you insights into how technology is applied in a professional setting. You are given thorough feedback on your code (especially from your weekly assessments) that will help to improve your skills. You are also matched with an advisor throughout the program who you will meet with regularly to help you with technical challenges, career questions, or anything else you may need help with. With small class sizes, you get a lot of attention and help whenever you need it.

The job search preparation is thorough! There is one week focused on technical interviews (including practice whiteboarding, answering technical knowledge questions, and recruiter phone screens). There's another week focused on other job search related topics (ex. cold applying vs. getting a referral, negotiating, how to create a job search schedule, etc.)

Alumni:
    Top notch! You are matched with a buddy as you get closer to job searching and your buddy can be an invaluable resource for your interviewing preparation. I'm incredibly impressed by the community developed by the alumni network who are willing to provide advice, help and/or refer you to interesting roles. When I was searching for a bootcamp, I almost didn't believe how amazing Rithm is due to the relatively few reviews and all the 5 stars. I cold emailed some alumni and they were more than willing to chat with me about their experiences. Now, as an alumni myself, I can validate that this is truly an amazing experience.
  • Celine • Graduate
    I was nervous about applying for a bootcamp and switching careers, but the entire process for Rithm made me feel more confident. This is a tough course, they cover a lot of material and topics in the span of a couple months. It is a full time commitment, even after the lectures are finished. They change their curriculum depending on the current environment, which is good for keeping up to date. I believe that in order to make good use of what you learned you have to put effort into understanding the material and topics. I started with almost no prior knowledge about coding, but I felt confident near the end. They also help with job searches post-grad and have check ins to help you stay on track.
  • Mo E. • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I am a recent Rithm grad from a 2021 cohort! Joel, Elie, and Brit were fantastic instructors and the curriculum was well thought out to provide their students with competitive skills for the job market! I highly recommend Rithm for boosting my career, giving me job security and mobility in the tech sector!
  • Lucas • Software Developer • Graduate

Overall Experience: 10/10

If you are looking for the absolute best coding bootcamp/school - look no further than Rithm School. Going to Rithm was one of the best choices I have ever made in my life. From the first email I sent to admissions, to my last day at Rithm - the entire experience was an A++. Rithm has truly changed my life for the better. They offer a superb curriculum that will give you the hard skills that real employers are looking for. You will be prepared for the first day at your new job and they offer a fantastic internship that builds real work experience while connecting you with people in the industry. This is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to all that this school has to offer.

Instructors: 10/10

The instructors at Rithm School were one of my absolute favorite parts of attending Rithm. They are not only talented developers themselves but have a true gift of teaching. They are available, helpful and do everything in their power to help you succeed. I cannot speak highly enough of Matt Lane, Tim Garcia, Joel Burton, Nate Lipp and Elie Schoppik!

Curriculum: 10/10

The curriculum is FANTASTIC! They have managed to compile the absolute best blend of everything that you will need to know in an industry that is always advancing and changing. I was blown away by how great the curriculum was. The course work and assessments are not easy and that's by design - they make sure that you are legitimately prepared! If you are struggling or having trouble with the work, they are there every step of the way to help keep you on track. You will learn exactly what you need to know in order to succeed in the contemporary world of Software/Web Development.

Job Assistance: 10/10

Another home run! I had the pleasure to work with Zach DeRossette during outcomes. Rithm School provides you with an excellent internship and to top it off, their career coach (Zach) is available after graduation to ensure that you find the job you are looking for. Zach is extremely knowledgeable! He is personable and easy to communicate with. The outcomes portion of the program with Zach makes the process of looking for a job, so much easier!

Final Thoughts:

I'm not one to go around giving undeserved compliments and I could still go on and on about how much Rithm School has to offer. If you are willing to work hard, put in the time and you are serious about starting a career in this field - attend Rithm School!!

• Perry von • Frontend Software Engineer • Graduate
    I decided to stop taking classes at my college due to the lack of infrastructure and the poor transition/execution to 100% remote classes. I wanted to challenge myself, learn applicable material, and feel like I was getting my money's worth. Deciding to enroll and go to Rithm School was one of the best decisions I've made in my adult life. I got everything I wasn't getting in a traditional college and so much more. Rithm School offered me so much that other Bootcamps seem to lack, from the small class sizes and strong alumni community, the internships working with real-world codebases presenting new challenges and frameworks, to the constantly evolving course material and emphasis on learning how to 'learn' on the fly. If I could go back and start the course over again I would do it, I made friends, mentors, and future coworkers all while gaining the skills to feel prepared for my first programming job. Online, in person, or hybrid, Rithm School offers a top-tier education lead by demanding, compassionate and experienced instructors that will prepare you for the real world and give you a leg up amongst a sea of other Bootcamp grads. The school is worth every penny and I would recommend it to anyone looking to take the leap of faith into programming.
  • Success
    - 5/9/2021
    Lucas • Software Engineer • Graduate
    My experience at Rithm school was everything I hoped it would be. Due to the small class size I was able to receive multiple code reviews per day. I felt I learned the most during these code reviews. We did a lot of paired programming on a daily basis which prepared us well for working in a team environment. I enjoyed working with my classmates to solve problems and get insight to see how they were approaching the problems. The most prominent value add was the software engineering internship at the end of the program. We got hands on experience working on a production code base with the team. I was able to secure a software engineering job 1 month after graduation at a startup with a starting salary of 120k cash + equity.
  • Chris • Freelance IT • Applicant
    So first let me state I was only in the application phase but I can give you my experience on that as well as their curriculum, which is open source.

The curriculum itself, I personally think is awesome. Not just the tech stack itself, getting to learn js, React and Python but it’s very well designed. I found it structured very well and super organized. They did t just grab a bunch of material easily available on the web but it seems to be intelligently crafted. I really enjoyed that parts that I have been through.

The part that I had a problem. With was their communication or lack thereof. Initially they were quick to respond and I still get automated follow up emails from them. However, for what ever reason they no longer respond to my questions. I don’t know if it was because I was asking about the programming cost, as it’s more expensive than any other I have found. That is the only thing I can think of. I was inquiring into financing and possible scholarships. I stopped receiving responses to the email or website chat so figured I would sign up for the initial chat with the admissions team. So I clicked on the calendar link, in original follow up email and scheduled a time. However they never showed up! Nobody ever called me at the scheduled time. So for whatever reason their is a breakdown in communication and that is concerning for this large of an investment in time and money.

That’s just my two cents and experience through the application process.

Course report doesn’t seem to let you only rate the items that are application but overall I’d say a two star experience with a 5 star curriculum. I obviously can’t rate the instructors or job assistance but I hear good things about the job placement rates. It won’t let me submit without rating  those items so I will do that and edit it later if allowed.
  • I COULD BE A BOT
    - 1/21/2020
    Jay Chi • Full Stack Engineer • Student

But only because I learned how to make one at Rithm school.

While there are a plethora of other schools that can teach how to do software engineering, not a lot of them can really teach how to be a good software engineer. Rithm teaches foundational knowledge and industry best practices from well seasoned veterans with years in the field (not student teachers!). In addition, the low student to teacher ratio helps with questions and cuts down on a lot of unnecessary frustration.

The internship experience is another huge advantage Rithm has over other schools. It was invaluable talking to prospective employers about real world projects I worked on and how it brought value to the company and my overal learning experience.

Rithm was one of the best decisions I have ever made and allowed me to transition into an incredibly rewarding career. I cannot recommend this school enough!