parsity-logo

Parsity

Charlotte, Durham, Online, Raleigh

Parsity

Parsity (formerly Project Shift) is a full-time and part-time, online software engineering training program. The curriculum covers the pragmatic and theoretical fundamentals of full-stack JavaScript, including HTML, CSS, NodeJS, SQL, NoSQL, React/Redux, APIs, algorithms and more. Parsity’s vision is to rebuild and redefine what it means to mentor and train new developers. In each module, students will learn objectives, pick them apart, and finish with an evaluation which is graded and reviewed by instructors to help determine their knowledge.

In addition to the technical curriculum, students will go through an entire Career Development curriculum to set them up for job-searching after graduation as they transition into Career Services, where they’ll have up to 6 months of one on one Career Coaching.

Parsity accepts students who are smart, ambitious, and humble (in other words, "character matters much more than accolades.") The admission process consists of an application and an in-person or video interview. Parsity encourages applicants of any background, but you should expect a brief technical assessment, so Parsity requires that students be knowledgable in one programming language, or take the Parsity Prep Course.

Recent Parsity Reviews: Rating 4.96

all (29) reviews for Parsity →

Recent Parsity News

• Full-time Remote Fullstack Software Engineering

Start Date January 17, 2022
    Most people learning to code struggle to see it through. Parsity, has created an accessible and supportive online software engineering training program that helps students land their dream jobs in tech, this year - there are both full-time and part-time options. The curriculum covers the pragmatic and theoretical fundamentals of full stack JavaScript, including HTML, CSS, NodeJS, SQL, NoSQL, React/Redux, APIs, algorithms and more. Parsity’s vision is to rebuild and redefine what it means to mentor and train new developers. Each module, students will learn objectives, pick them apart, and finish with an evaluation which is graded and reviewed by instructors to help determine their knowledge. Parsity provides assigned, paid, one on one mentors for accountability, motivation, and vocational support which students meet with regularly to assist with the self-paced curriculum. In addition to the technical curriculum, students will go through an entire Career Development curriculum to set them up for the job-search after graduation as a they transition into Career Services, where they’ll have up to months of one on one Career Coaching. Parsity is committed to the success of their graduates and publishes their graduate outcomes as a member of CIRR (Council on Integrity in Results Reporting).
    Available via SkillsFund
    Minimum Skill LevelWith an advanced curriculum, our main concern is that students entering the program love coding. Therefore, we require that students be knowledgable in one programming language, or take our Prep Course.
    Prep WorkUpon acceptance, students receive around 40 hours of prep work to be completed before the program begins.
    January 17, 2022 - Online Apply by November 26, 2021
  • Part-time Remote Fullstack Software Engineering

Start Date January 17, 2022
    Available via SkillsFund
    January 17, 2022 - Online Apply by November 26, 2021
  • Ryan Passer  User Photo
    Ryan Passer • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    As someone who wanted to make a 180 degree career change and quickly develop marketable coding skills without breaking the bank, Parsity was the perfect bootcamp for me. From a top level perspective, it checked off a lot of the boxes I was looking for: fully remote learning environment with the flexibility to work at my own pace (and either full-time or part-time), continual mentorship and support from the staff both during and after the program, and insanely good value when comparing their price to the average cost of a coding bootcamp.

The curriculum was very well structured with a natural progression of concepts. The first half focused on the Front End - We started with a review of JavaScript fundamentals and CSS/HTML before moving on to DOM manipulation, working with APIs, and then diving into the React framework. In the second half of the course, we transitioned to the Back End, learning how to build our own web servers and databases with Node, Express and MongoDB before putting everything together and developing Full Stack applications. At the end of each week, we were assigned a mini-project that covered what we had just learned. These were very challenging, but always engaging and I really felt like I was building something practical while working on them.

Despite the bootcamp being fully remote, I still had great opportunities to collaborate with other students. In the middle of the course, we had a week-long paired programming hackathon, and towards the end, the entire cohort worked together on a group project simulating an Agile-style sprint in which we were tasked to develop a functioning Full Stack application in 2 weeks. I'd say this experience along with our independent final project was probably where I learned and grew the most. Everything really came together here: putting all the coding skills I'd been honing to use, working/communicating in a group setting (and dealing with the unique challenges this can present), planning out design and structure at a larger scale, using Git flow effectively, and presenting an app as if demoing to a client. These projects were easily my favorite part of the program.

On top of that, I received a ton of support from Parsity in the job search after graduating. First of all, we had dedicated time spent solely on career development, including refining our resumes and LinkedIn profiles, writing effective cover letters, networking, and preparing for the interview process. I also had access to a fantastic Career Services Coach that met with me frequently and was always available when I reached out. I got a ton of helpful advice that was tailored to my own particular job search, as well as mock interviews structured for the specific companies I was focused on. The assistance I received after graduating was invaluable, and ultimately played a huge role in me landing my first developer job.

All in all, if you're interested in programming and want to shift your career trajectory, I highly recommend Parsity. I never would have believed a year ago that I could learn so much in such a short timeframe and actually get hired as a programmer. But it's true - coding bootcamps are a totally viable pathway and Parsity is a great one with great value. Enrolling was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
  • Career Changer
    - 5/4/2022
    Ben Pryor  User Photo
    Ben Pryor • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Switching from teaching into the software engineering field was a daunting prospect but joining Parsity helped me transition smoothly.  Like many others have said Parsity has great hands-on practical activities and experiences.  You deeply learn the principles and apply them.  The program is rigorous but if you do the work you will succeed. This program really sets you up to succeed as a software engineer.  I gave four stars to job assistance because they are still growing in that aspect.  The job talks they set up were hit or miss but they are growing in the right direction.

Overall if you are looking to change your career Parsity can help you make that change!
  • UI Engineer
    - 5/3/2022
    Justin McCarty  User Photo
    Justin McCarty • UI Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I was part of the first cohort to attend Project Shift, now Parsity.  It was a great experience and has been one of the best decisions of my life. Even in its infancy, and with all its growing pains, which you can read in some of the other reviews, Parsity prepares an individual to be a software engineer.  The small class sizes is a key part of the success of the program, as well as the one on one mentoring and feedback on course work.  Parsity does a great job of balancing the amount of CS concepts that need to learned and understood, showing a history of framework development by using older ones, and actually coding realistic projects, complete with group workflow.  During the last four years in the industry, I have had the chance to work with a good number of developers who learned via code schools and I found that many of the programs left their graduates with holes in their knowledge and lacking the tools to find the answers to new questions and problems they had. I am always reminded of how happy I am I found Paristy and proud of the reputation that it holds in the Raleign-Durham Triangle area.  Job assistance has fluctuated depending on the current employee running that aspect, however, even 4 years after completing the program, when I have reached out for advice and suggestions about jobs or negotiating salaries, or even business ventures, the teachers have been quick to respond with invaluable insight and advice that has helped immensely in my career.
  • Otto Frankel  User Photo
    Otto Frankel • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    After taking some Udemy courses and doing some 'self-learning' regarding coding, I decided to join a bootcamp to get more hands-on and practical experience. Parsity delivered that and more. From the very beginning, I was learning not just about how to build software but also how to use the skills I learned in the real world. The weekly evaluations were all enjoyable and helpful.

One of my favorite things about Parsity is that it doesn't start at an absolute beginner level- one review I read before starting mentioned that instead of going from 0% to 80%, Parsity goes from 20% to 100%. Since I already had some programming experience, this meant that I didn't feel like I was being taught any wasted concepts.

Within three and a half months of finishing the Full-time Remote Software Engineering Course, I accepted my first software engineer postion.
  • Mike Furlong  User Photo
    Mike Furlong • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Parsity is more than a bootcamp. It's a software engineering school. You're not just going to clone someone else's app and put it up on the fridge for your mom. You're going to learn engineering principles and build your own applications that work across the whole stack. This is not an easy program, but I graduated exceedingly well prepared to show my portfolio and speak meaningfully to senior devs about how and why my projects worked. Two months out from graduation I had two employment offers that were 10k over what I expected to get. This program will require real effort and commitment, but If you're serious about a career change:
    100% would recommend.
  • Joanna  User Photo
    Joanna • Junior Frontend Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I researched a lot of different programs before deciding on Project Shift, and one of the main reasons I went with them came down to a gut instinct. They seemed really genuine and invested, and it turned out my instincts were right. Everyone was genuinely invested in our growth. I went from having no technical experience, just an interest and a drive to learn and to change my life, and I came out of it with a new career that I love. I feel like Project Shift set me up for success, and I never would have gotten to this place (especially in a matter of months) without their help and support. I learned so much and I feel like I was given good foundations to build on and good strategies to keep learning and growing. So happy I took the leap!
  • Alicia H  User Photo
    Alicia H • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The experience at Project Shift was better than I expected & more than I could have known to ask for, and definitely set me up for success in this field. Over a year out of the program, I'm still regularly leaning on fundamentals that I was taught there, and it gave me the skills and confidence to dive into new technologies beyond the JavaScript that we were taught and to think critically across the full stack of a software application.

A few highlights:
    - The team-building aspect that having a small cohort and regular pair/group projects provides. Not only were the instructors/TA great at explaining concepts, but we were able to learn from each other and learn by discussing concepts with each other. The program does a great job of encouraging that environment.
    - Career services: not just a buzzword here, but a built-in part of the program that added legitimate value. There was good prep for all kinds of interview phases (technical & non-technical), and they have built a solid foundation of partners to assist their graduates with referrals and networking.
    - The quality curriculum: real, practical exercises & individual evaluations mixed in with group projects & lectures on fundamentals/design patterns. The instructors go to great lengths to keep the lessons up to date and to reframe concepts based on student feedback - they have a true continuous improvement mindset.

• Jason Park  User Photo
    Jason Park • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

When I first started programming, I was only able to study on nights and weekends due to my job and the progress I did make was very slow. After about 6 months, I realized that if I really want to make this career transition, I would have to dive head-first and do this full time. I started looking into different software engineering bootcamps in the area but Project Shift was the clear winner for a number of reasons.

• Their curriculum is relevant for today’s job market and constantly evolving to follow the direction the industry is going. I had a number of software engineering friends vet the curriculum before I signed up and they all agreed that it’s solid as well as extremely ambitious. By teaching full-stack web development, you are able to view both sides of the coin and this gives a much more holistic view of what it means to be a software engineer as well as making you much more employable. React is already a part of the core curriculum and they’ve adjusted to also include React Hooks (it wasn't a thing when PS first opened) because it's become so popular in the industry. When other technologies or features emerge to be industry standards, I know they will adjust their curriculum accordingly to best equip students to succeed.

• They do a great job of teaching the fundamentals and the why rather than just the what. One of the most common criticisms I’ve heard about bootcamp graduates is they learn a couple of fancy tricks but when their job requires them to learn a new technology, they aren’t able to because they don’t have a foundation. Project Shift does a great job of laying a strong foundation so your career doesn’t stagnate and you’re able to go way farther than just junior developer. At demo nights, students will often incorporate technologies like Ethereum, Vue, TensorFlow, or D3 into their final projects that weren’t covered in our syllabus. The quality of education we receive is so solid, we’re able to teach ourselves and implement which is essential for a successful career as a software engineer.

• The team really cares and have placed a heavy focus on quality over quantity. Real talk, the Project Shift team could be making much more money if they expanded. The demand is definitely there because roughly 20% of applicants are accepted to each cohort but they have no interest in doing this because of their commitment to providing a world-class educational experience. Knowing that only the top 20% of applicants are accepted also means everyone wants to be there and you're in the trenches with people who are just as driven as you. Coding 60 hours a week is tiring but when you're doing it together with people who love it just as much as you, it helps and inspires you to push harder. It’s super cheesy but I feel like I’ve gained a family after completing this program because we've gone to war together.

• Career services and mentorship. You’re paired with at least one mentor who works in the industry and there’s a lot of thought that goes into the pairing. The team has a lot of connections in the area and the mentors are all wonderful people who genuinely want to help you become a better software engineer. I still keep in touch with my mentor and he’s helped me in so many different aspects of my career.

About a year ago when I was researching different coding schools, I was also on this site reading reviews. I would roll my eyes every time people would say their coding bootcamp was life changing but it’s really true. When I was at my previous job, I was constantly anxious because I didn't feel like I was in control of my career and like I was on the wrong path. With the skills I’ve gained with Project Shift, I know I’m on the right path now and am so excited for where this road will take me. I recently started job hunting again and I had an offer in hand within 3 weeks with a considerable bump from my previous career. The team believes in their program so much, they've commited to publishing their job placement stats with cirr.org. They're also the only bootcamp to do this in NC. The Project Shift brand carries considerable weight and its only getting stronger as alumni go onto bigger and greater things. I honestly believe we'll have alumni joining FAANG companies in the next couple of years (it would be much sooner if we were on the west coast).

The Project Shift team are some of the most authentic, intelligent, and dedicated people I have ever met. If you’re serious about making a career switch and willing to put in the hard work, Project Shift is the place for you.

• Can't Say Enough
    - 11/12/2019
    Byron Glaspy  User Photo
    Byron Glaspy • Software Engineer • Applicant • Verified via LinkedIn

I recently completed the Software Engineering Immersion Program at Project Shift and can't say enough about my experience there.  I had no coding experinece whatsoever and had no job expereince in the software world either.  I enrolled in the 3 month program and did the 1 month prep course prior to the program as well.  In just 2 months and 1 week after completing the program I received an offer at an incredible software company in downtown Durham, north of $70K with incredible benefits.  I know my expereince may not be the same as everyone else's in terms of results, but I know that it's the same in terms of the experience.  The experience of going through that rigorous of a program with a team that genuinely desires to see you succeed and like-minded individuals who too are looking to change career paths and pursue their dreams, is simply incredible.  There was no sentiment of jealousy or envy or rivalry in my cohort, but rather we truly were rooting for one another and celebrated each other's success.  Going forward I intend to stay involved and well connected to my new Project Shift family and hopefully help pass the same value that I received onto the next generation of software engineers!

• Andres Alcocer  User Photo
    Andres Alcocer • Software Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

It was during college when I frist got introduced to programming. I completely fell in love with it! Ever since I am always coding during my free time, just for fun. Although I did enjoy my time in college I had to stop my education due to financial reasons. One of the things I've realized as a computer science student is that computer science DOES NOT equal programming with that being said you can get a job in software development without a degree in computer science (I am not trying to rule out education, all I am trying to say is that there are other means to get into the field). So I've decided to join Project Shift and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made!

My experience at Project Shift was an unforgettable one that I will forever cherish! What separates Project Shift from other coding schools is that here you're not just 'another' student. You become part of a community of developers where everyone is humble, eager to learn, and always up for a challenge. The instructors are truly amazing human beings. They truly want you to succeed. You get individual attention where they go over your weaknesses and fill in the gaps in your knowledge. This is something you can't really get in a big school. This is why each cohort has a limited number of seats. Because of the small size you will get to know everyone there's no hiding!

Due to the fact that this is a really fast paced program I would advice future students to come in with some coding experience (create some projects!), just know the basics. It will help you in the long run. You will learn the rest at Project Shift! I would also say that you should keep coding even after the program ends this is a field where you must constanly keep leaning (this is why I enjoy programming). You will struggle but you will succed!

Life after Project Shift? I received an offer from one of Aaron's connection just within two weeks after graduation! I will forever be thankful to Project Shift for this amazing opportunity and turning my hobby into a full time career. This is just the beginning of an epic journey!

• Hew Keller  User Photo
    Hew Keller • Software Artisan • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I went to Project Shift with absolutely no tech background. My background was sales and financial planning. I was living in the Middle East when I heard about Project Shift. In April 2018, I flew to Durham and attended (My pregnant wife remained in the Middle East until we met up after Project Shift concluded).

It was an absolutely amazing experience with Aaron, Sean, and Morgan. This course/fellowship requires a lot of hard work, but it pays off. At the end of week 8, I was hit by a car on my bike and suffered a rough concussion. Project Shift did everything they could to try and help me catch up from missed time. Regardless, I missed almost 2 weeks of content.

But! In spite of all that- the day after out final project demo, I got a remote contract offer to work from the Middle East. While that was happening, I started the interview process with a couple companies. Three months later, I had companies sending counter-offers against each other to try and get me to work for them.

Now- I am working for an amazing company where I am excited to go to work. I am able to support a family with a single income.

To summarize: Less than a year ago I made the decision to completely changed careers into the tech world and because of Project Shift, I have experienced amazing opportunity followed by amazing opportunity.

• Linda Vu  User Photo
    Linda Vu • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I would do voluntarily do this program again just to hangout with Aaron and Sean in the fun learning atmosphere they created. The intimate class size and heart that they have for this program is not to be understated - I genuinely felt like I was a part of a family there, and still do as part of their alumni network. This is not to downplay the fact that this was one of the most taxing things I've ever done in a 3-month span. It is NOT easy, but the reward of how much I was able to learn about web development and my own personal growth in that time span is more than enough to make me look back on it fondly.

Pros:
    -Intimate class size allows you to get to know peers as well as instructors

-Convenient location in downtown Durham's WeWork, which is fully stocked with amenities and surrounded by cool local businesses

-Offers a part-time preparatory course that is very cheap and can be applied to your tuition for the full-time class, should you enroll

-Despite his expertise, Aaron has the energy of an upbeat puppy, which makes you feel un-judged and able to learn things even though you may feel a lot of self-doubt

-Curriculum is highly relevant in terms of full-stack JavaScript technologies and frameworks

-Inctructors take care to give you the context and history of the technologies you're learning so that you have a big picture of the web development world

-Algorithms and Big O notation

-Has an impressive local network of recruiters and current software engineers to connect you with

-Assigned a personal mentor that I connected with outside of class for added perspective

-Sean's tough love is exactly what I needed to prepare me for the most challenging job interviews

-They STILL help me with technical questions and career advice over slack even though I'm no longer a student

-I moved to my hometown of Charlotte right after the course ended, and found an amazing local network of developers thanks to a tip that Sean gave me via message (this same network helped me land a dream job as a Software Engineer at Skookum)

-The group project final and your solo demo are challenging and way more relevant to a potential employer than the projects I've seen from other bootcamps

Cons:

-You feel the repercussions more in a small group if some of your classmates have a different definition of working hard compared to you (referring to the final cohort project)

-It's a fast-paced program and you WILL fall behind if you don't constantly push yourself. This is all bootcamps though.

-Our cohort felt the growing pains in a pronounced way because of the location changes leading up to the new WeWork building's grand opening. This is unlikely to be a factor for the cohorts after us since Project Shift is all settled into the new building now.

-Communication pitfalls were frustrating at times when we weren't sure which instructor was arriving/when with how the days were split.

-Typos and grammatical errors in the lessons occasionally annoyed me, though the actual intellectual content and resources of the lessons were all there. Just something that should be improved for professionality and branding's sake.

Parsity Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 14 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Project Shift CIRR report here