momentum-logo

Momentum

Durham, Online

Momentum

Momentum offers a 16-week, full-time Software Engineering Immersive course and a 24-week Software Engineering Part-Time course for career changers. Momentum is headquartered in Durham, North Carolina but their courses are 100% online with live, instructor-led lectures and code demos. Momentum provides relevant skills training focused on the needs of the technology industry and the modern workplace. Momentum offers students personalized learning, mentorship, long-term community, and dedicated support from instructors who collectively have 35+ years of experience.

Both the full-time and part-time courses offer a project-based learning approach taught in phases that build upon each other so it is easy to learn skills step-by-step. Both courses prepare students to become full stack web developers ready for high-paying jobs in tech. Students learn UX, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, Django, APIs, SQL, Code Reviews, Agile Planning, and more. Students will have the support and mentorship from Momentum’s digital community of current students, graduates, and software developers. Students all stay engaged in Momentum’s always-on Slack "campus."

Momentum students have access to a robust calendar of events, including guest lectures with industry insiders that equip students and connect them with great opportunities. Both part-time and full-time courses provide personalized career services support that includes but is not limited to: career planning, resumé reviews, networking with hiring managers, negotiation support, behavioral and technical interview training, and more. Momentum also offers a job placement promise: If a student participates in the career services program and does not receive a job offer within 9 months of graduation, Momentum will refund their tuition.

Momentum has partnered with Morehouse College to deliver Momentum@Morehouse, which is a 12-week, full-time, live online bootcamp. The curriculum covers full stack development with Python, Django, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as well as databases and deployment. Students receive career services and virtual networking opportunities.

Momentum offers customized, online corporate training for organizations across the country.

Recent Momentum Reviews: Rating 4.93

all (17) reviews for Momentum →

Recent Momentum News

Read all (15) articles about Momentum →
  • Software Engineering Immersive

SQL, MVC, REST, Python, Front End, Django, Agile, Rails, JavaScript, Ruby, React.js, Git, HTML, CSS
    Start Date August 30, 2021
    LocationDurham
    Momentum's Software Engineering Immersive course helps you get the tech skills you need for the career you want. With the rigorous, 16-week curriculum you'll learn to code and gain specialized skills for high-paying careers in technology. Routine project assignments done individually, in pairs, and on teams develop your robust portfolio as a software developer. You'll focus on fundamental programming concepts and get extensive training on the latest technology leading companies use. A career change shouldn't have to wait. So we made our course available every 8 weeks. Learning to code can be intimidating. That's why our curriculum is organized into four 4-week phases so it's easy to learn programming step by step. All students receive dedicated career services support, helping to simplify the job search process and prep you succeed in the workplace. Career services include networking with hiring managers, career guidance modules, negotiation support, interview training, 1-on-1 career planning support, and so much more. If you do not get a job offer with­in 9 months of grad­u­a­tion, we will refund your tuition.
    DepositOnce accepted, a $1,000 deposit is required to reserve your seat in the class.
    Lending partners available, including Ascent Funding and Climb Credit.
    Tuition PlansTuition is $4,375 per phase. We're dedicated to making our course accessible, so we offer financing options through Climb Credit and SkillsFund. If loans or upfront payment is not an option, we may be able to help. Talk to us to find the right solution.
    Refund / GuaranteeWe firmly believe in our course, our extensive network, and you. That’s why if you do not get a job offer within 9 months of graduation, we will refund your tuition.
    ScholarshipWe offer a $1,000 discount to military veterans.
    Prep WorkWhen you reserve your seat in the class, Momentum gives you access to introductory information, setup guides, and prep work so you are ready for your first day of class.
    August 30, 2021 - Durham Apply by August 23, 2021
  • Software Engineering Part-Time

GitHub, Python, JavaScript, HTML, Git, Front End, Django, CSS, Agile
    LocationDurham
    Set your developer career up for success, on your schedule, with this part-time course built for your needs and made for the tech industry's demands. Momentum’s Software Engineering Part-Time course prepares you for entry-level jobs as a web developer. Graduates may find suitable employment with companies who build and maintain their own websites and web applications, or agencies that produce websites and web applications for other companies. Our course is part-time for 24 weeks. During their course, students will have 640 course time hours, plus eligible career services. The first 18 weeks of the course are lectures, exercises, and projects. The last 6 weeks are for building a final project as a demonstration and exercise of your knowledge gained. Our curriculum is focused on web development. We start with the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, and then use Python and Django to build dynamic web applications. Our teaching style is project-based and experiential and we take the long view of software development, taking time to understand the history of the Web and the evolution of development styles. Our students use Agile development methodologies to build their final projects. At Momentum, we break our 24-week Part-Time program into four 6-week phases, each focused on a specific topic, and building on the prior phase. Our curriculum is adapted to the latest advances in software development and adjusts based on class needs.
    Deposit$1,000.00 Enrollment deposit due to reserve your seat once you have been accepted into the course.
    Lending partners available include Ascent Funding and Climb Credit.
    Tuition PlansYou can pay for tuition in four installments of $3,125, due at the beginning of each phase per the payment schedule: First Day of Class Last Day of Week 6 Last Day of Week 12 Last Day of Week 18
    Refund / GuaranteeMomentum’s Software Engineering Part-Time program learners who participate in the career services program may be eligible for a tuition refund if the learner does not receive a qualified job offer within 9 months of course completion.
    Prep WorkPre-work may be assigned after students have been accepted in the program. Instructors assign introductory pre-work designed for people with little coding experience. The goal is mainly to familiarize you with some terms and basic concepts.
  • Rondale Davis • Applicant

The Foundations classes were better than I could have ever expected. We covered A LOT in a short amount of time. Along with learning so many concepts, the instructors were more than helpful. Often times, they would go back over material or explain it differently just to make sure we fully understood what we were being taught. I’d recommend the Foundations classes to anyone looking to get a jump start on the basics of coding.

• Katie Bobbe • Graduate

I was very impressed by Momentum’s Coding Foundations course. I learned much more than I expected about HTML, CSS and JavaScript in a short amount of time. The material for each class was carefully selected and well-taught. By the end of the course, I acquired the skills to make my own websites using HTML, CSS and JavaScript. I have learned enough so that I can access and understand online documentation and forum posts and build my skills further.

Momentum believes that anyone can learn how to code. I appreciated that the instructors were patient, encouraging, and never condescending. If you’re like me and have been frustrated by coding in the past, you’ll find that working with good teachers can make a huge difference.

I will be starting Momentum’s Immersive program on April 23rd.  Based on my experience with the Foundations course, the Immersive program will also be very worthwhile. If you are considering changing careers or you would like to gain more technical skills, I would encourage checking out one of Momentum’s Meetups to learn more about their courses.

• Colin Di Meo • Software Engineer

I had the opportunity to get to know the Momentum Team during my time at The Iron Yard this past summer. At that time I was coming out of a long tenure in the music business and was looking to make a career change into Web Development. I visited this very site to better understand that company and program. I wanted to try and understand what I was embarking on (as many of you reading this likely are). What I read quelled my concerns, and I hope this little blurb does the same for you.

Jessica Mitsch, Clinton Dreisbach, Amy Gori and Nicole Benham were all members of The Iron Yard Staff while I was there, and were acting in similar roles to the ones they have now.

Every step of the way through the (at times very frustrating) journey they were ready and willing to help me. Be it to talk me down from a stressful week of heavy coding, or to alleviate my concerns of if I could do this at all. It's hard to look at the big picture while you're inside one of these programs, but in hindsight had it not been for them, not only wouldn't I have been able to do it, but I certainly wouldn't find myself employed, as I am now in the industry.

The knowledge and resources are there in spades. These four individuals truly have a meaningful grasp on what it means to make this transition, and they have the relationships to help you on your path. More than that though, it's all done with an unmatched level of empathy. They don't want you there just to fill a seat, they want you there because they genuinely care about helping you take that terrifying leap into a new career.

I can't recommend this group enough, I'm excited to see all of the Momentum students come out of the program and into a new life for themselves and with this team at your back you really can't set yourself up any better.
  • Just do it!
    - 3/16/2018
    Jefferson Neel • Web Developer • Applicant

Two years ago, I was stuck in a job that I didn't like and heading nowhere. It took me a long time to build up the courage to leave my steady paycheck and try something completely different, but I'm so glad I did. I left my job and enrolled in a coding bootcamp called The Iron Yard and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. In the two years since I went through the program I stayed involved as much as I could to encourage students that made the same hard decision that I did. I was very sad to see The Iron Yard close down but then I was thrilled to see Momentum rise up to take its place.

I have met with and had in depth discussions with everyone on the team at Momentum and I truly believe they will succeed in this market. They all have such a genuine heart and passion for how life changing a career in tech can be. They also believe that these skills should be accessible for everyone and want to help students achieve their dream. Jessica and Clinton, the co-founders, have a vision for how to help the tech community in the Raleigh/Durham by training up developers the right way.

There isn't a doubt in my mind about the care and attention everyone on the Momentum team will give to each and every applicant and student that comes through their doors. I intend to particpate in their "ongoing education" courses they will be offering for people that are already in the tech field but would like to learn a new skill.

If you are thinking about changing things up and getting into the tech industry I would encourage you to at least talk to someone on the team at Momentum. Once you do, I think you'll see what I see: people that are passionate and engaged about helping people switch careers and learn a new skill. You won't regret it.

• Kristine Teichmann • Associate QA Analyst • Applicant

Momentum Learning Inc. was founded on the principle that "all people have the ability to learn and, in turn, deserve a high-quality education experience — because knowledge has no finish line." As a professional educator myself, I could not agree more with Momentum's approach.

Momentum Learning, Inc. provides relevant training targeting the skills needed to succeed in the modern-day tech industry. Their course options range from full-time immersive code courses (for the career changer) to part-time classes (for the technology professional), and additional customized training (for organizations and businesses). Having graduated from The Iron Yard Durham, one of the first national code schools and a jump start for Momentum Learning Inc., I have experienced first hand what an immersive code course can do for professional development in technology. This experience helped cultivate the person I am today and enabled me to transition from educator to developer over the course of three months.

The Momentum Learning Inc. team is comprised of many of the same professionals who have either been through The Iron Yard experience (as I have) or ran the operation itself. Jessica Mitsch and Clinton Dreisbach, co-founders of Momentum Learning Inc., always aspired to open up their own code school to serve the local community, inspire entrepreneurs, and continue developing transformative tech education.

You will not find a more passionate, engaged, experienced, driven, or student-centered team of professionals than that of Momentum Learning Inc. Furthermore, you will not find a more seamless transition into a successful code career anywhere other than Raleigh-Durham, NC. Having gone through multiple moves to get to where I am today, I quickly realized that Raleigh-Durham is the hot spot for jobs in the tech industry. Both Jessica Mitsch and Nicole Benham (Campus Manager at Momentum Learning Inc) have provided me with career services and job assistance well beyond my graduation date. Their dedication to delivering excellence and transforming tech education is beyond compare.

I plan on taking their customized training course so that I may sharpen my skills in areas of code that will boost my ability to further contribute to my companies values. So, why choose Momentum Learning? The real question here is why not? You have nothing to lose, everything to gain, and the most spectacular team to see you through it all.

Momentum Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Momentum, 96% graduated. 86% of graduates were job-seeking and 90% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $64,500. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 77 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

See the full Momentum Student Outcomes Report on our website here: https://www.momentumlearn.com/outcomes

The career outcomes data included in our report was collected from Momentum's "Qualified Graduates" who met our Career Services program criteria. The metrics included in Momentum's report were reviewed by K&L Gates LLP.