Momentum offers a full-time, 16-week Software Engineering Immersive for career changers in Durham, North Carolina as well as online with live, remote classes. Momentum provides relevant skills training focused on the needs of the technology industry and the modern workplace. Momentum offers students personalized learning, mentorship, long-term community, and dedicated support from instructors who collectively have 35+ years of experience.
Momentum students have access to a robust calendar of events, including “field trips” to local companies and guest lectures with industry insiders that equip students and connect them with great opportunities. Students also work one-on-one with Career Services to network and get interview practice. Momentum backs up their Career Services with a tuition refund if graduates don’t get a job within 9 months of graduation.
Momentum also offers customized corporate training for organizations in Durham, North Carolina.
Recent Momentum Reviews: Rating 4.9
Recent Momentum News
- August 2020 Coding Bootcamp News
- June 2020 Coding Bootcamp News
- How Mo Shifted from Artist to Web Developer with Momentum
Start Date None scheduled Cost $750 Class size 15 Location DurhamSign up for Foundations, a 2-week, part-time course, and get all the prep you need for a full-time course. Or upskill yourself with essential programming skills you can use on the job or for personal projects. Foundations is available each month. Our expert instructors provide 1-on-1 assistance on fundamental tech skills for web development, plus you'll practice pair programming and writing code.
Deposit N/A Tuition Plans Registered for our full-time course? Join Foundations and apply the cost to discount your full-time tuition
Minimum Skill Level N/A Placement Test No Interview No
OnlineFull Time40 Hours/week16 Weeks
Start Date October 5, 2020 Cost $18,200 Class size 12 Location DurhamMomentum's Software Engineering Immersive course helps you get the tech skills you need for the career you want. With the rigorous, 16-week curriculum you'll learn to code and gain specialized skills that earn top salaries. Routine project assignments done individually, in pairs, and on teams develop your robust portfolio. You'll focus on fundamental programming concepts and get extensive training on the latest technology leading companies use. A career change shouldn't have to wait. So we made our course available every 4 weeks. And learning to code can be intimidating. That's why our curriculum is organized into four 4-week phases so it's easy to learn step by step. All students receive dedicated career services support, helping to simplify the job search process and prep you succeed in the workplace. Career services include networking with hiring managers, career guidance modules, negotiation support, interview training, 1-on-1 career planning support, and so much more.
Deposit Once accepted, a $1,000 deposit is required to reserve your seat in the class. Financing Tuition Plans Tuition is $4,550 per phase. We're dedicated to making our course accessible, so we offer financing options through Climb Credit and SkillsFund. If loans or upfront payment is not an option, we may be able to help. Talk to us to find the right solution. Refund / Guarantee We firmly believe in our course, our extensive network, and you. That’s why if you do not get a job offer within 6 months of graduation, we will refund your tuition. Scholarship We offer a $1,000 discount to military veterans, members of women-in-tech groups, and Code the Dream graduates.
Minimum Skill Level N/A Placement Test No Interview Yes
More Start DatesOctober 5, 2020 - Durham Apply by September 21, 2020November 2, 2020 - Durham Apply by October 19, 2020
13 reviews sorted by:
- Ashley • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: Durham • Verified via LinkedInI am very happy I chose Momentum as my software development bootcamp. I was deciding between Momentum and a larger national bootcamp to attend in the Spring of 2020, after the initial quarantine from COVID-19. While I attended Momentum's Full Stack program, I received first class instruction and support through SLACK and zoom, not just from program staff but from various alumni as well. Here are some of the reasons I would choose Momentum again:
- Support and instructional staff--while a small staff, I always knew who to ask for what. If I needed technical support, instructors were more than willing to spend whatever 1:1 time needed to ensure I understood key concepts and was able to keep up with the rigors of a full time, immersive course. If I needed socio-emotional support, I knew I could ask the Campus Manager to have a chat with me to get me out of my head, regaining confidence, and ready to get back to work.
- The new program structure. Momentum is 16 weeks now and is broken up into four 4-week units. New students start about every 4 weeks. If something were to come up and I needed to take a break for personal reasons, I know I would be able to pick back up in just a few short weeks instead of waiting for a whole new cohort to start in several months. Additionally, these new teams are much smaller (under 10 students), so more 1:1 time with instructors is ensured, while still having access to the amazing network of students on other teams or alumni.
- Job Search Support--Here, in the midst of the COVID-19 economic downturn, I am in the interview process with four companies, all of which I was able to find someone who either works there, formerly worked there, or knows someone who does. The network you get with Momentum Learning is top notch, filled friendly folks who want to see you succeed and will help! The Career Services director, Katie Dunn, is a joy to work with and it's so nice to not have to job search alone. We have weekly 1:1s together, she sends me job postings I may be interested in, she submits my resume to her contacts in the industry, and we have a weekly job search group where we practice our interview skills. Additionally, she provides feedback on resumes! My job search support from a public university cannot TOUCH the level of support I've received from Katie and Momentum.
- Liz • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: Durham • Verified via LinkedIn
Quitting your job to start a new career is daunting, to say the least. I was considering code schools, but I was not feeling confident any of them would be worth my investment. A local developer suggested I look into Momentum, and those feelings quickly changed.
I am so glad that I invested my time and trust in the Momentum program! Here's why:
- Their curriculum is tailored to the needs of the local dev community. (They even have an advisory board whose members come from local start-ups as well as national companies.)
- The instructors are knowledgeable, supportive, and creative.
- The entire staff is genuinely invested in your personal success.
- Career support, starting week 1! (And continuing throughout your career.)
- Fantastic and diverse networking opportunities.
The program was very challenging and I felt well-supported the entire time. I graduated feeling confident that I could be a developer and that I could find a great new job. Thank you, Momentum!
- More than learning code- 5/30/2019Molly Brown • Graduate • Campus: Durham • Verified via LinkedIn
One thing that really sets Momentum’s Immersive program apart is the network of software companies that are receptive to advising or hiring new developers. At the same time that I was learning new web development skills, I was meeting members of Momentum’s Advisory Board, visiting offices of local companies, and talking with past graduates about starting their careers. As a career changer, this was a huge value for me, as I was able to start getting an idea for where I wanted to take my career after finishing the program. This was enhanced by Momentum’s Career Services team, who suggested specific companies I should research or network with based on my interests and values. Before I graduated, I had a well-curated list of places I would be excited to work! I was excited to interview at multiple companies, each of which I had formed an in-person connection with before applying, which I believe had a huge impact in making it to final interview stages. Momentum’s Career Services continued to support me through my interviews, offering to give feedback or even just listen as I worked out my plans, and helping me to work through negotiation. Now nine months into my first software job, I am still growing both the coding knowledge and the network that I started as a Momentum student.
- Worth every dime!- 1/17/2020Craig Brunengraber • QA Automation Engineer • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: Durham
I'm very happy I chose Momentum for their immersive coding program. It was an amazing experience that took me from complete novice to competency. I'm currently working in my dream job, and look forward to growing my career. There are very few opportunities to change your entire career in three months. I highly suggest you take this one.
- Great place to learn and grow- 6/5/2019Crystal Ramirez • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: Durham
This course is a challenge and you will be pushed everyday. It is like a work out but for your mind. The curriculum is transferable and the skills you learn will carry on with you to your next position.
I’m currently working in cloud services which uses a lot of different technologies than what I studied at Momentum. However, because I leaned the basic principles to software development and gained researching skills I was able to quickly learn at my new job.
Additionally, their career placement is awesome and they have an amazing network of folks you can get to know. They truly care about their students and help guide them in finding their new career.
Lastly, I would say my peers were amazing Y’all will end up helping each other so much. After I graduated I missed my cohort and I still stop in to say hello to the everyone. This is a great Bootcamp and you will be so happy that you made the choose to go with Momentum.
- Excellent education + Powerful networking- 5/30/2019Steve Marks • Enterprise Account Manager • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: Durham
I was new to the area, and looking to make a career change into the Triangle’s Tech scene. Code school is a pricey proposition, but Momentum’s job placement guarantee and stellar reputation made the decision easy.
This is a superlative program, and arms you with everything you need to go get a job at the end. Your outcome is what you make of it, but Momentum will make sure you are well positioned for success! I am thrilled with my decision to attend and would do it again.
- Immersive Course - Front End Path- 5/29/2019Chad W • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: Durham
The Career Services offering was very effective and I was able to make several connections through their services which often led to interviews or offers.
The one request I had of Momentum was that they offer a full stack learning path, which I understand they are now providing.
- Cohort 2 Immersive Class- 5/29/2019Josh Carroccia • Support Engineer • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Immersive • Campus: Durham
The immersive class was strenuous and challenging, but worth it. I have tried for a long time to learn how to code on my or after work but always struggled to get far or learn challenging topics. Momentum gave me a place to learn and excel with a great group of peers, instructors and staff. On top of staff and instructors, there is a great network of volunteers and former grads that are always willing to help.
Not only will you learn the skills you need to start a career in software development, but you will have a chance to grow an incredible network with your peers and the introductions the team gives you!
Because of all that, I give everyone apart of the Momentum Family my respect and know that if any future graduates come out of the class will be prepared for junior roles and will happily talk to them and refer them to my company or introduce them to my network.
- Foundations class was PERFECT!- 9/25/2018Rondale Davis • Applicant • Course: Coding Foundations • Campus: Durham
The Foundations classes were better than I could have ever expected. We covered A LOT in a short amount of time. Along with learning so many concepts, the instructors were more than helpful. Often times, they would go back over material or explain it differently just to make sure we fully understood what we were being taught. I’d recommend the Foundations classes to anyone looking to get a jump start on the basics of coding.
- Excellent introduction to coding- 3/26/2018Katie Bobbe • Graduate • Course: Coding Foundations • Campus: Durham
Momentum believes that anyone can learn how to code. I appreciated that the instructors were patient, encouraging, and never condescending. If you’re like me and have been frustrated by coding in the past, you’ll find that working with good teachers can make a huge difference.
I will be starting Momentum’s Immersive program on April 23rd. Based on my experience with the Foundations course, the Immersive program will also be very worthwhile. If you are considering changing careers or you would like to gain more technical skills, I would encourage checking out one of Momentum’s Meetups to learn more about their courses.
- For those about to embark...- 3/22/2018Colin Di Meo • Software Engineer
I had the opportunity to get to know the Momentum Team during my time at The Iron Yard this past summer. At that time I was coming out of a long tenure in the music business and was looking to make a career change into Web Development. I visited this very site to better understand that company and program. I wanted to try and understand what I was embarking on (as many of you reading this likely are). What I read quelled my concerns, and I hope this little blurb does the same for you.
Jessica Mitsch, Clinton Dreisbach, Amy Gori and Nicole Benham were all members of The Iron Yard Staff while I was there, and were acting in similar roles to the ones they have now.
Every step of the way through the (at times very frustrating) journey they were ready and willing to help me. Be it to talk me down from a stressful week of heavy coding, or to alleviate my concerns of if I could do this at all. It's hard to look at the big picture while you're inside one of these programs, but in hindsight had it not been for them, not only wouldn't I have been able to do it, but I certainly wouldn't find myself employed, as I am now in the industry.The knowledge and resources are there in spades. These four individuals truly have a meaningful grasp on what it means to make this transition, and they have the relationships to help you on your path. More than that though, it's all done with an unmatched level of empathy. They don't want you there just to fill a seat, they want you there because they genuinely care about helping you take that terrifying leap into a new career.
I can't recommend this group enough, I'm excited to see all of the Momentum students come out of the program and into a new life for themselves and with this team at your back you really can't set yourself up any better.
- Just do it!- 3/16/2018Jefferson Neel • Web Developer • Applicant • Campus: Durham
Two years ago, I was stuck in a job that I didn't like and heading nowhere. It took me a long time to build up the courage to leave my steady paycheck and try something completely different, but I'm so glad I did. I left my job and enrolled in a coding bootcamp called The Iron Yard and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. In the two years since I went through the program I stayed involved as much as I could to encourage students that made the same hard decision that I did. I was very sad to see The Iron Yard close down but then I was thrilled to see Momentum rise up to take its place.
I have met with and had in depth discussions with everyone on the team at Momentum and I truly believe they will succeed in this market. They all have such a genuine heart and passion for how life changing a career in tech can be. They also believe that these skills should be accessible for everyone and want to help students achieve their dream. Jessica and Clinton, the co-founders, have a vision for how to help the tech community in the Raleigh/Durham by training up developers the right way.
There isn't a doubt in my mind about the care and attention everyone on the Momentum team will give to each and every applicant and student that comes through their doors. I intend to particpate in their "ongoing education" courses they will be offering for people that are already in the tech field but would like to learn a new skill.
If you are thinking about changing things up and getting into the tech industry I would encourage you to at least talk to someone on the team at Momentum. Once you do, I think you'll see what I see: people that are passionate and engaged about helping people switch careers and learn a new skill. You won't regret it.
* These outcomes are not audited by Course Report. In some cases, data is audited by a third party.
Of the students who enroll at Momentum, 96% graduated. 86% of graduates were job-seeking and 90% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $64,500. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 77 graduates included in this report:
180 Day Employment Breakdown:
Notes & Caveats:
The career outcomes data included in our report was collected from Momentum's "Qualified Graduates" who met our Career Services program criteria. The metrics included in Momentum's report were reviewed by K&L Gates LLP.