momentum-logo

Momentum

Durham, Online

Momentum

Momentum offers a 16-week, full-time Software Engineering Immersive course and a 24-week Software Engineering Part-Time course for career changers. Momentum is headquartered in Durham, North Carolina but their courses are 100% online with live, instructor-led lectures and code demos. Momentum provides relevant skills training focused on the needs of the technology industry and the modern workplace. Momentum offers students personalized learning, mentorship, long-term community, and dedicated support from instructors who collectively have 35+ years of experience.

Both the full-time and part-time courses offer a project-based learning approach taught in phases that build upon each other so it is easy to learn skills step-by-step. Both courses prepare students to become full stack web developers ready for high-paying jobs in tech. Students learn UX, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, Django, APIs, SQL, Code Reviews, Agile Planning, and more. Students will have the support and mentorship from Momentum’s digital community of current students, graduates, and software developers. Students all stay engaged in Momentum’s always-on Slack "campus."

Momentum students have access to a robust calendar of events, including guest lectures with industry insiders that equip students and connect them with great opportunities. Both part-time and full-time courses provide personalized career services support that includes but is not limited to: career planning, resumé reviews, networking with hiring managers, negotiation support, behavioral and technical interview training, and more. Momentum also offers a job placement promise: If a student participates in the career services program and does not receive a job offer within 9 months of graduation, Momentum will refund their tuition.

Momentum has partnered with Morehouse College to deliver Momentum@Morehouse, which is a 12-week, full-time, live online bootcamp. The curriculum covers full stack development with Python, Django, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript as well as databases and deployment. Students receive career services and virtual networking opportunities.

Momentum offers customized, online corporate training for organizations across the country.

Recent Momentum Reviews: Rating 4.92

all (15) reviews for Momentum →

Recent Momentum News

Read all (15) articles about Momentum →
  • Software Engineering Immersive

SQL, MVC, REST, Python, Front End, Django, Agile, Rails, JavaScript, Ruby, React.js, Git, HTML, CSS
    Start Date August 30, 2021
    LocationDurham
    Momentum's Software Engineering Immersive course helps you get the tech skills you need for the career you want. With the rigorous, 16-week curriculum you'll learn to code and gain specialized skills for high-paying careers in technology. Routine project assignments done individually, in pairs, and on teams develop your robust portfolio as a software developer. You'll focus on fundamental programming concepts and get extensive training on the latest technology leading companies use. A career change shouldn't have to wait. So we made our course available every 8 weeks. Learning to code can be intimidating. That's why our curriculum is organized into four 4-week phases so it's easy to learn programming step by step. All students receive dedicated career services support, helping to simplify the job search process and prep you succeed in the workplace. Career services include networking with hiring managers, career guidance modules, negotiation support, interview training, 1-on-1 career planning support, and so much more. If you do not get a job offer with­in 9 months of grad­u­a­tion, we will refund your tuition.
    DepositOnce accepted, a $1,000 deposit is required to reserve your seat in the class.
    Lending partners available, including Ascent Funding and Climb Credit.
    Tuition PlansTuition is $4,375 per phase. We're dedicated to making our course accessible, so we offer financing options through Climb Credit and SkillsFund. If loans or upfront payment is not an option, we may be able to help. Talk to us to find the right solution.
    Refund / GuaranteeWe firmly believe in our course, our extensive network, and you. That’s why if you do not get a job offer within 9 months of graduation, we will refund your tuition.
    ScholarshipWe offer a $1,000 discount to military veterans.
    Prep WorkWhen you reserve your seat in the class, Momentum gives you access to introductory information, setup guides, and prep work so you are ready for your first day of class.
    August 30, 2021 - Durham Apply by August 23, 2021
  • Software Engineering Part-Time

GitHub, Python, JavaScript, HTML, Git, Front End, Django, CSS, Agile
    LocationDurham
    Set your developer career up for success, on your schedule, with this part-time course built for your needs and made for the tech industry's demands. Momentum’s Software Engineering Part-Time course prepares you for entry-level jobs as a web developer. Graduates may find suitable employment with companies who build and maintain their own websites and web applications, or agencies that produce websites and web applications for other companies. Our course is part-time for 24 weeks. During their course, students will have 640 course time hours, plus eligible career services. The first 18 weeks of the course are lectures, exercises, and projects. The last 6 weeks are for building a final project as a demonstration and exercise of your knowledge gained. Our curriculum is focused on web development. We start with the basics of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, and then use Python and Django to build dynamic web applications. Our teaching style is project-based and experiential and we take the long view of software development, taking time to understand the history of the Web and the evolution of development styles. Our students use Agile development methodologies to build their final projects. At Momentum, we break our 24-week Part-Time program into four 6-week phases, each focused on a specific topic, and building on the prior phase. Our curriculum is adapted to the latest advances in software development and adjusts based on class needs.
    Deposit$1,000.00 Enrollment deposit due to reserve your seat once you have been accepted into the course.
    Lending partners available include Ascent Funding and Climb Credit.
    Tuition PlansYou can pay for tuition in four installments of $3,125, due at the beginning of each phase per the payment schedule: First Day of Class Last Day of Week 6 Last Day of Week 12 Last Day of Week 18
    Refund / GuaranteeMomentum’s Software Engineering Part-Time program learners who participate in the career services program may be eligible for a tuition refund if the learner does not receive a qualified job offer within 9 months of course completion.
    Prep WorkPre-work may be assigned after students have been accepted in the program. Instructors assign introductory pre-work designed for people with little coding experience. The goal is mainly to familiarize you with some terms and basic concepts.
  • Sara  User Photo
    Sara • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    When I started looking for a bootcamp, I thought no matter where I went I would be in, learn, and be out. I was wrong! Momentum has been the best experience and I could not have chosen a better bootcamp. I've been telling everyone I know to sign up! From the moment you start speaking with admissions, it is a human experience! You feel the care they have for your success. The program is fast-paced but if you are willing to put in the work- it pays off. With a recent graduation I have already been in talks with six companies, including big tech like Google and Salesforce, and I am looking at salaries that are more than double my last. Momentum gave me these opportunities through their large and ever-growing network. The investment clearly pays off. The instructors are spectacular and working to build diversity and inclusion in the tech world. As a new teammate, you will never feel embarrassment for asking a question or seeking help, from instructors, peers, or grads. Support is everywhere at Momentum. You won't regret this choice.
  • Greg Sronce  User Photo
    Greg Sronce • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I thought the amount of time spent learning valuable programming languages and frameworks was appropriate, the coursework was rigorous, yet extremely apt and applicable to entering the tech industry, the instructors were amazing, super knowledgeable and supportive throughout the program, as were (and still are) Momentum's student experience manager, their director of career services, the rest of my amazing teammates, and the extensive, supportive alumni network. I thought the overall atmosphere and vibe, from beginning our journey with their admissions advisor, to our final presentations and guidance from the CEO herself, was fantastic. They celebrate and actively encourage diversity in an industry that is still very much white and male, which I very much admire. I really appreciated the connections made with industry people through Friday Huddles (that are open to alumni after graduation as well). They are there to guide you through every step of the job search process. I feel confident, prepared and in extremely knowledgeable and capable hands beginning the job search!
  • Ashley  User Photo
    Ashley • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I am very happy I chose Momentum as my software development bootcamp. I was deciding between Momentum and a larger national bootcamp to attend in the Spring of 2020, after the initial quarantine from COVID-19. While I attended Momentum's Full Stack program, I received first class instruction and support through SLACK and zoom, not just from program staff but from various alumni as well. Here are some of the reasons I would choose Momentum again:

• Support and instructional staff--while a small staff, I always knew who to ask for what. If I needed technical support, instructors were more than willing to spend whatever 1:1 time needed to ensure I understood key concepts and was able to keep up with the rigors of a full time, immersive course. If I needed socio-emotional support, I knew I could ask the Campus Manager to have a chat with me to get me out of my head, regaining confidence, and ready to get back to work.
    • The new program structure. Momentum is 16 weeks now and is broken up into four 4-week units. New students start about every 4 weeks. If something were to come up and I needed to take a break for personal reasons, I know I would be able to pick back up in just a few short weeks instead of waiting for a whole new cohort to start in several months. Additionally, these new teams are much smaller (under 10 students), so more 1:1 time with instructors is ensured, while still having access to the amazing network of students on other teams or alumni.
    • Job Search Support--Here, in the midst of the COVID-19 economic downturn, I am in the interview process with four companies, all of which I was able to find someone who either works there, formerly worked there, or knows someone who does. The network you get with Momentum Learning is top notch, filled friendly folks who want to see you succeed and will help! The Career Services director, Katie Dunn, is a joy to work with and it's so nice to not have to job search alone. We have weekly 1:1s together, she sends me job postings I may be interested in, she submits my resume to her contacts in the industry, and we have a weekly job search group where we practice our interview skills. Additionally, she provides feedback on resumes! My job search support from a public university cannot TOUCH the level of support I've received from Katie and Momentum.
  • Liz  User Photo
    Liz • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Quitting your job to start a new career is daunting, to say the least. I was considering code schools, but I was not feeling confident any of them would be worth my investment. A local developer suggested I look into Momentum, and those feelings quickly changed.

I am so glad that I invested my time and trust in the Momentum program! Here's why:
    - Their curriculum is tailored to the needs of the local dev community. (They even have an advisory board whose members come from local start-ups as well as national companies.)
    - The instructors are knowledgeable, supportive, and creative.
    - The entire staff is genuinely invested in your personal success.
    - Career support, starting week 1! (And continuing throughout your career.)
    - Fantastic and diverse networking opportunities.

The program was very challenging and I felt well-supported the entire time. I graduated feeling confident that I could be a developer and that I could find a great new job. Thank you, Momentum!

• Molly Brown  User Photo
    Molly Brown • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

One thing that really sets Momentum’s Immersive program apart is the network of software companies that are receptive to advising or hiring new developers. At the same time that I was learning new web development skills, I was meeting members of Momentum’s Advisory Board, visiting offices of local companies, and talking with past graduates about starting their careers. As a career changer, this was a huge value for me, as I was able to start getting an idea for where I wanted to take my career after finishing the program. This was enhanced by Momentum’s Career Services team, who suggested specific companies I should research or network with based on my interests and values. Before I graduated, I had a well-curated list of places I would be excited to work! I was excited to interview at multiple companies, each of which I had formed an in-person connection with before applying, which I believe had a huge impact in making it to final interview stages. Momentum’s Career Services continued to support me through my interviews, offering to give feedback or even just listen as I worked out my plans, and helping me to work through negotiation. Now nine months into my first software job, I am still growing both the coding knowledge and the network that I started as a Momentum student.

• Worth every dime!
    - 1/17/2020
    Craig Brunengraber • QA Automation Engineer • Graduate

I'm very happy I chose Momentum for their immersive coding program. It was an amazing experience that took me from complete novice to competency. I'm currently working in my dream job, and look forward to growing my career. There are very few opportunities to change your entire career in three months. I highly suggest you take this one.

• Crystal Ramirez • Graduate

This course is a challenge and you will be pushed everyday. It is like a work out but for your mind. The curriculum is transferable and the skills you learn will carry on with you to your next position.

I’m currently working in cloud services which uses a lot of different technologies than what I studied at Momentum. However, because I leaned the basic principles to software development and gained researching skills I was able to quickly learn at my new job.

Additionally, their career placement is awesome and they have an amazing network of folks you can get to know. They truly care about their students and help guide them in finding their new career.

Lastly, I would say my peers were amazing Y’all will end up helping each other so much. After I graduated I missed my cohort  and I still stop in to say hello to the everyone. This is a great Bootcamp and you will be so happy that you made the choose to go with Momentum.

• Steve Marks • Enterprise Account Manager • Graduate

I was new to the area, and looking to make a career change into the Triangle’s Tech scene.  Code school is a pricey proposition, but Momentum’s job placement guarantee and stellar reputation made the decision easy.

I got a solid education in HTML, CSS, Javascript, Python, Django, API design, agile methodologies and MINDSET.  Industry leaders spoke to us about a range of topics.  We were given opportunities for meaningful networking weekly, and given a personalized job plan.  During the latter part of the program and afterwards, they will reach into deep industry relationships to set up more introductions for you to network and job hunt.  (It’s who you know, right?)

This is a superlative program, and arms you with everything you need to go get a job at the end.  Your outcome is what you make of it, but Momentum will make sure you are well positioned for success!  I am thrilled with my decision to attend and would do it again.

• Chad W • Graduate

The immersive course solidified my understanding of programming and taught me how to be an independent developer. Prior to attending Momentum, I had a basic understanding of HTML, CSS, and Javascript that allowed me to build very basic static websites. Momentum furthered my knowledge of front end development by introducing me to Node.js, React.js, and how to interact with APIs. They also taught me how to use Git effectively among many other things that improve your quality of life as a developer.

The Career Services offering was very effective and I was able to make several connections through their services which often led to interviews or offers.

The one request I had of Momentum was that they offer a full stack learning path, which I understand they are now providing.

• Josh Carroccia • Support Engineer • Graduate

The immersive class was strenuous and challenging, but worth it. I have tried for a long time to learn how to code on my or after work but always struggled to get far or learn challenging topics. Momentum gave me a place to learn and excel with a great group of peers, instructors and staff. On top of staff and instructors, there is a great network of volunteers and former grads that are always willing to help.

Not only will you learn the skills you need to start a career in software development, but you will have a chance to grow an incredible network with your peers and the introductions the team gives you!

Because of all that, I give everyone apart of the Momentum Family my respect and know that if any future graduates come out of the class will be prepared for junior roles and will happily talk to them and refer them to my company or introduce them to my network.

• Rondale Davis • Applicant

The Foundations classes were better than I could have ever expected. We covered A LOT in a short amount of time. Along with learning so many concepts, the instructors were more than helpful. Often times, they would go back over material or explain it differently just to make sure we fully understood what we were being taught. I’d recommend the Foundations classes to anyone looking to get a jump start on the basics of coding.

• Katie Bobbe • Graduate

I was very impressed by Momentum’s Coding Foundations course. I learned much more than I expected about HTML, CSS and JavaScript in a short amount of time. The material for each class was carefully selected and well-taught. By the end of the course, I acquired the skills to make my own websites using HTML, CSS and JavaScript. I have learned enough so that I can access and understand online documentation and forum posts and build my skills further.

Momentum believes that anyone can learn how to code. I appreciated that the instructors were patient, encouraging, and never condescending. If you’re like me and have been frustrated by coding in the past, you’ll find that working with good teachers can make a huge difference.

I will be starting Momentum’s Immersive program on April 23rd.  Based on my experience with the Foundations course, the Immersive program will also be very worthwhile. If you are considering changing careers or you would like to gain more technical skills, I would encourage checking out one of Momentum’s Meetups to learn more about their courses.

Momentum Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Momentum, 96% graduated. 86% of graduates were job-seeking and 90% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $64,500. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 77 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

See the full Momentum Student Outcomes Report on our website here: https://www.momentumlearn.com/outcomes

The career outcomes data included in our report was collected from Momentum's "Qualified Graduates" who met our Career Services program criteria. The metrics included in Momentum's report were reviewed by K&L Gates LLP.