momentum-logo

Momentum

Durham, Raleigh

Momentum

Momentum offers a full-time, 12-week immersive software development program for career changers, 2-week, part-time classes for the tech professionals, and customized corporate training for organizations in Durham, North Carolina. Momentum provides relevant skills training focused on the needs of the technology industry and the modern workplace. Students will learn JavaScript, HTML, CSS, Ruby on Rails, React, APIs, Github, Heroku, and more.

Momentum gives students the technical knowledge and network to establish a successful career in tech. After covering the fundamentals of software development, the last weeks of the course are entirely project based where students work independently and in teams to build modern applications. Students also have the opportunity to learn from prominent industry professionals with guest lectures, field trips to local software companies, and job search preparation from Momentum staff.

Recent Momentum Reviews: Rating 4.88

HTML, JavaScript, CSS
    In PersonPart Time1 Week
    $750
    Durham
    Students will learn HTML, CSS, the basics of programming, Javascript, and more.
    No deposit required.
    No financing options available.
    Interview
  • Coding Immersive

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Rails, CSS, React.js, Ruby
    Durham
    Once accepted, $1,000 is required to reserve your seat.
    Lending partners available, including Skills Fund, Climb Credit, and Loanable.
    We offer a $1,000 discount to military veterans and women in tech groups.
    Interview

• Liz  User Photo
    Liz • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Quitting your job to start a new career is daunting, to say the least. I was considering code schools, but I was not feeling confident any of them would be worth my investment. A local developer suggested I look into Momentum, and those feelings quickly changed.

I am so glad that I invested my time and trust in the Momentum program! Here's why:
    - Their curriculum is tailored to the needs of the local dev community. (They even have an advisory board whose members come from local start-ups as well as national companies.)
    - The instructors are knowledgeable, supportive, and creative.
    - The entire staff is genuinely invested in your personal success.
    - Career support, starting week 1! (And continuing throughout your career.)
    - Fantastic and diverse networking opportunities.

The program was very challenging and I felt well-supported the entire time. I graduated feeling confident that I could be a developer and that I could find a great new job. Thank you, Momentum!

• Molly Brown  User Photo
    Molly Brown • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

One thing that really sets Momentum’s Immersive program apart is the network of software companies that are receptive to advising or hiring new developers. At the same time that I was learning new web development skills, I was meeting members of Momentum’s Advisory Board, visiting offices of local companies, and talking with past graduates about starting their careers. As a career changer, this was a huge value for me, as I was able to start getting an idea for where I wanted to take my career after finishing the program. This was enhanced by Momentum’s Career Services team, who suggested specific companies I should research or network with based on my interests and values. Before I graduated, I had a well-curated list of places I would be excited to work! I was excited to interview at multiple companies, each of which I had formed an in-person connection with before applying, which I believe had a huge impact in making it to final interview stages. Momentum’s Career Services continued to support me through my interviews, offering to give feedback or even just listen as I worked out my plans, and helping me to work through negotiation. Now nine months into my first software job, I am still growing both the coding knowledge and the network that I started as a Momentum student.

• Crystal Ramirez • Graduate

This course is a challenge and you will be pushed everyday. It is like a work out but for your mind. The curriculum is transferable and the skills you learn will carry on with you to your next position.

I’m currently working in cloud services which uses a lot of different technologies than what I studied at Momentum. However, because I leaned the basic principles to software development and gained researching skills I was able to quickly learn at my new job.

Additionally, their career placement is awesome and they have an amazing network of folks you can get to know. They truly care about their students and help guide them in finding their new career.

Lastly, I would say my peers were amazing Y’all will end up helping each other so much. After I graduated I missed my cohort  and I still stop in to say hello to the everyone. This is a great Bootcamp and you will be so happy that you made the choose to go with Momentum.

• Steve Marks • Enterprise Account Manager • Graduate

I was new to the area, and looking to make a career change into the Triangle’s Tech scene.  Code school is a pricey proposition, but Momentum’s job placement guarantee and stellar reputation made the decision easy.

I got a solid education in HTML, CSS, Javascript, Python, Django, API design, agile methodologies and MINDSET.  Industry leaders spoke to us about a range of topics.  We were given opportunities for meaningful networking weekly, and given a personalized job plan.  During the latter part of the program and afterwards, they will reach into deep industry relationships to set up more introductions for you to network and job hunt.  (It’s who you know, right?)

This is a superlative program, and arms you with everything you need to go get a job at the end.  Your outcome is what you make of it, but Momentum will make sure you are well positioned for success!  I am thrilled with my decision to attend and would do it again.

• Chad W • Graduate

The immersive course solidified my understanding of programming and taught me how to be an independent developer. Prior to attending Momentum, I had a basic understanding of HTML, CSS, and Javascript that allowed me to build very basic static websites. Momentum furthered my knowledge of front end development by introducing me to Node.js, React.js, and how to interact with APIs. They also taught me how to use Git effectively among many other things that improve your quality of life as a developer.

The Career Services offering was very effective and I was able to make several connections through their services which often led to interviews or offers.

The one request I had of Momentum was that they offer a full stack learning path, which I understand they are now providing.

• Josh Carroccia • Support Engineer • Graduate

The immersive class was strenuous and challenging, but worth it. I have tried for a long time to learn how to code on my or after work but always struggled to get far or learn challenging topics. Momentum gave me a place to learn and excel with a great group of peers, instructors and staff. On top of staff and instructors, there is a great network of volunteers and former grads that are always willing to help.

Not only will you learn the skills you need to start a career in software development, but you will have a chance to grow an incredible network with your peers and the introductions the team gives you!

Because of all that, I give everyone apart of the Momentum Family my respect and know that if any future graduates come out of the class will be prepared for junior roles and will happily talk to them and refer them to my company or introduce them to my network.

• Rondale Davis • Applicant

The Foundations classes were better than I could have ever expected. We covered A LOT in a short amount of time. Along with learning so many concepts, the instructors were more than helpful. Often times, they would go back over material or explain it differently just to make sure we fully understood what we were being taught. I’d recommend the Foundations classes to anyone looking to get a jump start on the basics of coding.

• Katie Bobbe • Graduate

I was very impressed by Momentum’s Coding Foundations course. I learned much more than I expected about HTML, CSS and JavaScript in a short amount of time. The material for each class was carefully selected and well-taught. By the end of the course, I acquired the skills to make my own websites using HTML, CSS and JavaScript. I have learned enough so that I can access and understand online documentation and forum posts and build my skills further.

Momentum believes that anyone can learn how to code. I appreciated that the instructors were patient, encouraging, and never condescending. If you’re like me and have been frustrated by coding in the past, you’ll find that working with good teachers can make a huge difference.

I will be starting Momentum’s Immersive program on April 23rd.  Based on my experience with the Foundations course, the Immersive program will also be very worthwhile. If you are considering changing careers or you would like to gain more technical skills, I would encourage checking out one of Momentum’s Meetups to learn more about their courses.

• Colin Di Meo • Software Engineer

I had the opportunity to get to know the Momentum Team during my time at The Iron Yard this past summer. At that time I was coming out of a long tenure in the music business and was looking to make a career change into Web Development. I visited this very site to better understand that company and program. I wanted to try and understand what I was embarking on (as many of you reading this likely are). What I read quelled my concerns, and I hope this little blurb does the same for you.

Jessica Mitsch, Clinton Dreisbach, Amy Gori and Nicole Benham were all members of The Iron Yard Staff while I was there, and were acting in similar roles to the ones they have now.

Every step of the way through the (at times very frustrating) journey they were ready and willing to help me. Be it to talk me down from a stressful week of heavy coding, or to alleviate my concerns of if I could do this at all. It's hard to look at the big picture while you're inside one of these programs, but in hindsight had it not been for them, not only wouldn't I have been able to do it, but I certainly wouldn't find myself employed, as I am now in the industry.

The knowledge and resources are there in spades. These four individuals truly have a meaningful grasp on what it means to make this transition, and they have the relationships to help you on your path. More than that though, it's all done with an unmatched level of empathy. They don't want you there just to fill a seat, they want you there because they genuinely care about helping you take that terrifying leap into a new career.

I can't recommend this group enough, I'm excited to see all of the Momentum students come out of the program and into a new life for themselves and with this team at your back you really can't set yourself up any better.
  • Just do it!
    - 3/16/2018
    Jefferson Neel • Web Developer • Applicant

Two years ago, I was stuck in a job that I didn't like and heading nowhere. It took me a long time to build up the courage to leave my steady paycheck and try something completely different, but I'm so glad I did. I left my job and enrolled in a coding bootcamp called The Iron Yard and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. In the two years since I went through the program I stayed involved as much as I could to encourage students that made the same hard decision that I did. I was very sad to see The Iron Yard close down but then I was thrilled to see Momentum rise up to take its place.

I have met with and had in depth discussions with everyone on the team at Momentum and I truly believe they will succeed in this market. They all have such a genuine heart and passion for how life changing a career in tech can be. They also believe that these skills should be accessible for everyone and want to help students achieve their dream. Jessica and Clinton, the co-founders, have a vision for how to help the tech community in the Raleigh/Durham by training up developers the right way.

There isn't a doubt in my mind about the care and attention everyone on the Momentum team will give to each and every applicant and student that comes through their doors. I intend to particpate in their "ongoing education" courses they will be offering for people that are already in the tech field but would like to learn a new skill.

If you are thinking about changing things up and getting into the tech industry I would encourage you to at least talk to someone on the team at Momentum. Once you do, I think you'll see what I see: people that are passionate and engaged about helping people switch careers and learn a new skill. You won't regret it.

• Kristine Teichmann • Associate QA Analyst • Applicant

Momentum Learning Inc. was founded on the principle that "all people have the ability to learn and, in turn, deserve a high-quality education experience — because knowledge has no finish line." As a professional educator myself, I could not agree more with Momentum's approach.

Momentum Learning, Inc. provides relevant training targeting the skills needed to succeed in the modern-day tech industry. Their course options range from full-time immersive code courses (for the career changer) to part-time classes (for the technology professional), and additional customized training (for organizations and businesses). Having graduated from The Iron Yard Durham, one of the first national code schools and a jump start for Momentum Learning Inc., I have experienced first hand what an immersive code course can do for professional development in technology. This experience helped cultivate the person I am today and enabled me to transition from educator to developer over the course of three months.

The Momentum Learning Inc. team is comprised of many of the same professionals who have either been through The Iron Yard experience (as I have) or ran the operation itself. Jessica Mitsch and Clinton Dreisbach, co-founders of Momentum Learning Inc., always aspired to open up their own code school to serve the local community, inspire entrepreneurs, and continue developing transformative tech education.

You will not find a more passionate, engaged, experienced, driven, or student-centered team of professionals than that of Momentum Learning Inc. Furthermore, you will not find a more seamless transition into a successful code career anywhere other than Raleigh-Durham, NC. Having gone through multiple moves to get to where I am today, I quickly realized that Raleigh-Durham is the hot spot for jobs in the tech industry. Both Jessica Mitsch and Nicole Benham (Campus Manager at Momentum Learning Inc) have provided me with career services and job assistance well beyond my graduation date. Their dedication to delivering excellence and transforming tech education is beyond compare.

I plan on taking their customized training course so that I may sharpen my skills in areas of code that will boost my ability to further contribute to my companies values. So, why choose Momentum Learning? The real question here is why not? You have nothing to lose, everything to gain, and the most spectacular team to see you through it all.