microverse-logo

Microverse

Microverse

Microverse offers an online, full-time, 38-40-week full stack software development course with no upfront costs. Microverse believes that learning should be accessible to everyone, no matter where you live. Their methodology uses remote collaborative learning and mastery learning so that students worldwide can learn together and support one another. Courses are available to students in all countries, with three time zones available for study.

Every Microverse student works with a pair programming partner, a standup team, a mentor, and Technical Support Engineers to achieve mastery learning of front end and back end technologies, including computer science foundations, Ruby, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, Redux, Ruby on Rails, algorithms and data structures. A portion of the program is dedicated to professional skills, interview preparation, salary negotiation, and job searching, where students work with career coaches. Throughout the program, students work together to build real-world projects and contribute to open-source projects.

Microverse requires that students are fluent in English. To apply, applicants must solve coding challenges and take part in a collaborative project with another applicant via pair programming. Microverse offers an Income Share Agreement. Every Microverse education costs $0 until a student lands a job making more than $1,000 a month, at which point, the student pays back 15% of their salary until they’ve reached $15,000.

Recent Microverse Reviews: Rating 4.89

all (38) reviews for Microverse →

Recent Microverse News

• Software Development Program

Microverse's Software Development Program is completely free until you get a job. For 22 weeks, you will learn software development while doing remote pair programming with multiple coding partners around the world. This is a full-time and immersive program where you will master computer science foundations, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, HTML, CSS, JavaScript and React. You will also learn how to contribute to open source and find freelance projects as part of the program. Once you are done with the main curriculum, we will help you craft an exceptional resume, portfolio and LinkedIn profile, as well as prepare you to ace the job interviews through mock interviews with other students. Once you are ready, we will work with you to connect with global and remote jobs. No matter where you are in the world, we want to invest in your education and help you succeed as a professional software developer.
    Tuition PlansThe program is completely free until you find a job. After that, you will pay 15% of your monthly salary until you reach a cap of $15,000.
    Prep WorkYou will need to pass a series of coding challenges and complete a collaborative project with another applicant in order to join the program. If you are not ready for the coding challenges yet, you can complete our pre-course work.
  • Elizabeth Villalejos  User Photo
    Elizabeth Villalejos • Fullstack web developer • Student Verified via GitHub

Microverse came into my life at a strange time where I was in a crossroad about where should I "steer the wheel" on my life. I had recently finished up a second degree, been applying for all kinds of jobs with little to no luck due to living in a small city where good paying jobs are scarce and my availability had been cut short significantly due to taking care of a loved one who was in the hospital.

During my sister's hospital time I re-discovered coding. I had always wanted to give it a shot, but never felt like I was good enough to make it work. Started picking up lessons here and there, then came along a Microverse ad. I was sure I wanted to go deep into this and Microverse gave me the perfect opportunity. It specializes in remote jobs so that was perfect for me as I was sure I could not leave my family at this time.

Microverse lets you build your knowledge, practice your english and people skills and build a strong sense of confidence at the same time. Learning in a supportive community where everyone is willing to help and strive for each other's success is something that I don't think you find anywhere. I'm grateful I took the plunge on this.

After finishing main projects curriculum, they also prep you for interviews, help you polish your portfolio, help along with the job negotiation and lay down all the resources they have to make sure you succeed. 100/100 would recommend. I'm even trying to get my sister on board so you know it's the real deal.

Bonus: it's free until you get a job, all you have to do is put some effort and work into it and you're all set.

• Leonard Kanyesigye  User Photo
    Leonard Kanyesigye • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I got to know about Microverse at the perfect moment in my life. I had basic knowledge about programming, but I wanted to be even better so I could get a job in the field.

I had bought 4 or 5 courses on Udemy to learn how to program, but procrastination and other distractions made me feel like I would never learn.

Quitting my job as a sales personnel to join the full-time program at Microverse has been the best decision I have made this year (2019). I have learned a lot of technical skills and improved many of my soft skills.

Now, whenever I feel like I'm procrastinating, I remember that I have a partner and several other students counting on me. That has helped me tremendously in my learning. I can't wait to get my first job.
  • Cristian Ines Hernandez Aldana  User Photo
    Cristian Ines Hernandez Aldana • Engineer of Computer Systems with Speciality in Software Engineer • Student Verified via GitHub

I'm graduated from Engineer of computer Systems with specialty in Software Engineer in Mexico, before i enter to microverse and spend a lot of time searching actively for a software engineer position. But in my city is not the best option from do that.
    Thanks to microverse i learned a lot about real world projects with the web development program, and i think the best way to learn to code eficently is with pair program.
    Microverse have a lot of benefits to join and one of the best is the stipend to mexican students !!, if you can learn witouth worries from simple things like familiar support, you can aproach it and focus on your coding projects.
    I'll recomende  microverse if you want  to be a remote software developer with best practices and a fluent english !!

• Thaís V.  User Photo
    Thaís V. • Full-Stack Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I decided to join Microverse mainly due to:

1- The methodology and how it's focused on professional development through the execution of real projects that can be used in a portfolio;
    2- The opportunity to immerse yourself in English and improve your communication skills;
    3- The possibility to only pay after getting a job in the technology sector;
    4- The professional assistance from experienced recruiters to guide me through applying to jobs and interviews;
    5- The self-paced nature which gives me the time to learn the concepts that are more complex without nonsense pressure.

What surprised me at Microverse:

1- Their incredible team;
    2- How quickly Microverse improves its methodology;
    3- The company's network of hiring partners that is continuously expanding to help more students enter the technology market, faster;
    4- Their ability to confidential help and support you with any conflict resolution.
  • James Okunlade  User Photo
    James Okunlade • React.js/Rails SWE • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Let’s cut right to it: I’ve always wanted to be a programmer, but I never learned while in university. In fact, when I turned 24 years old, I thought I was running out of time. How wrong I was: I’m now proficient in React.js/Rails and currently looking for my next job (with Microverse' help and support!)

Beyond the skills Microverse teaches, the program's structure that mimics a real-world remote job ensures you become a well-rounded professional. Strong, open communication becomes critical for you, and you learn how to communicate feedback properly. These remote collaborations will be immensely helpful when working in a quickly-growing and fast-moving teams.

After finishing the technical curriculum, you start the career preparation section, which I think is underrated. You get the chance to work with professional recruiters and coaches that help and guide you until you land your dream job.

I don’t know where I would be without Microverse. It comes with my heartfelt recommendation.

• Temitayo Adeleke  User Photo
    Temitayo Adeleke • Microverse Student • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I've always loved to build things that benefit people. So, after I graduated from university, I started learning computer programming so I could develop things that could help anyone around the world.
    I took online courses, but it was really frustrating because I was doing it on my own. I would get stuck for days not knowing what to do after browsing for solutions to what were probably simple problems.
    So, when I stumbled on an article about Microverse, I tried it out. It was a fantastic opportunity to learn and interact with people doing the same thing I was doing.
    Joining the program has been a dream come true. I've received a lot of support from more experienced devs, and I've had the opportunity to help those who are just starting, too.

• Excellent Choice!
    - 11/7/2019
    Leon Little  User Photo
    Leon Little • Student • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

Cons no actual teachers. But we do well peer review each other.

I love this school. I have been trying to self teach web dev for a couple years. But do to some personal circumstances. I just wasn't able to stay motivated and working. But with Microverse I have been learning  everyday. From algorithms to html & css. To where I am now finishing up Ruby on Rails section. In the next week or two I will be starting javascript. You can not go wrong choosing Microverse.

• Terver Stephen Aosu  User Photo
    Terver Stephen Aosu • Software Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

Before joining the Microverse Software Development Program, I had struggled with trying to learn to become a software engineer on my own, especially since I do not have a CS background, coming from an Engineering Major wasn't an easy switch.
    I found Microverse towards the end of 2018 and I thought I should give it a try especially since I will not be making any financial commitment, I felt I could easily pull out, if it wasn't worth the time and then I was hooked, I have never been in such a program with so much support for your learning, it's more like a family, you reach out to anyone on the team and you are sure to get a very kind response even with the most foolish questions, and since it is remote I have mates from several different countries, background and experience and you are free to interact even on personal notes and learn from each other.
    The handpicked resources are I think one of the best you can find anywhere, it is designed with the real-world job requirements in mind.
    I am now a confident software engineer thanks to Microverse.

• Daniel Larbi Addo  User Photo
    Daniel Larbi Addo • Full-Stack Developer • Student Verified via GitHub

I am Daniel Larbi Addo from Ghana and am a full stack developer training at Microverse. It all started earlier this year (2019) when I decided to join Microverse and the journey has been great. I learn a lot from my coding partners, my stand-up team, mentors, code reviewers etc. The journey to becoming a full-stack developer has been awesome. Before Microverse: I used to work for G.E.S as a teacher in the public sector of Ghana. I have been teaching for 6 years, now I have left the teaching job and focused full time to Microverse. I recommend everyone to join Microverse and become the Software Developer you dream to be.
    Now I can say I have a family of developers I can interact,  ask for clarification and code together. I hope in the future, there will be some financial support for some of us to fully enjoy the program.
    I thank Microverse for giving opportunities for us all.

• Chibuzor Efedigbue  User Photo
    Chibuzor Efedigbue • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I’m a Microverse graduate from Ibadan, Nigeria, and I now work as a full-stack remote developer making 8 times of what I earned previously, 3 times what my colleagues in Nigeria are making.

Last year, a friend suggested I should learn to code instead of continuing to work in customer support for a US-based company. I took his advice. I started learning to code through freeCodeCamp, but I stopped because I didn’t have anyone or anything to push me to keep learning.

I learned about Microverse and applied. I got in and I worked hard to make sure I didn’t lose my chance to become a software developer without paying until I got a job. The program was actually fun. I cultivated great work habits and made good friends all around the world. I still talk to some of the friends I made several times a week, Sanel from Bosnia and Dipto from Bangladesh. I’ve never even been to those countries.

Microvere also helps you prepare for working in a professional, remote job. They make sure you learn how to actually build projects, how to work together as a part of a remote software development team, and the process of getting your code live. My job is like Microverse, I submit pull requests and get my code reviewed by fresh eyes several times a week, like I used to with Kevin (my mentor at Microverse, from Kenya)

I recommend Microverse to anybody. I have three people already working on the pre-course work from my recommendation. I think that if you can make sure you have internet and electricity, Microverse is what you need to do. I know those aren’t problems in Europe, they can be in Africa.

• Paul Rail  User Photo
    Paul Rail • Software Developer (JavaScript / Ruby on Rails) • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Some background: I used to work in finance, but I started learning to code after realizing a lot of what I did in finance wasn’t being valued and there was so much opportunity in software development.

I joined Microverse as part of one of its first cohorts. For me, Microverse’s biggest draw was that, unlike most other coding bootcamps and really most traditional forms of education in general, where they take your money upfront and don’t care what happens afterwards, at Microverse I wouldn’t owe anything until I got a job—and if I didn’t get a job, I wouldn’t owe anything. This means that the organisation’s interests are the same as mine, which is a system that is fundamentally better in every way. All education should be like this. So I decided to take the leap and join.

Before joining Microverse, I learned a little bit of coding through free resources like freeCodeCamp and practicing through #100DaysOfCode. Microverse realizes this—that some of the best learning content is already out there—so they focus on guiding you to the right content and supporting you with a network of intelligent, ambitious people.

Microverse is also based on “remote pair programming”. If you’re not familiar with remote pair programming, it’s based on the idea that two heads are better than one. Basically, we were paired with another student, and every day, my partner and I would switch between being a “driver” and “navigator”. One of us would write the code and the other person would watch and provide feedback, comment, or suggest a different way of doing things.  My partner (Kyle) was great—he was smart, ambitious, and hard-working. I was lucky to have him—we had our “aha!” moments at different times and we were able to play off of our different strengths.

The program is also substantially more thorough and complete compared to what typical coding bootcamps offer. So this really should not be called a “bootcamp” or considered as such.

One of the last parts of the curriculum is the “career prep” portion where you spruce up your resume, your online portfolio, and your online profiles while also practicing interview questions.  I found some freelance work through Microverse, and combined with the projects I completed during the program, I received A LOT of calls and emails from recruiters before even finishing that section. I was humbled. I ended up turning off my online profiles and stopped accepting more interviews.

Going into my interviews, I didn’t feel ready for them because I didn’t have time to practice. Luckily, I passed several of them and received several job offers. I was like “Is this actually happening?” I genuinely started losing sleep because I was having a hard time deciding between several great job offers.

​Microverse has the same incentive as you—to help you get a great job. In order to get there, they guide you toward the best materials to learn the most in-demand coding skills, surround you with an ambitious community, pair you with someone else going through the program, and help you establish a schedule and accountability. All education should be this way

• Max Li  User Photo
    Max Li • full stack js developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended Microverse remote software development program from April 2018 to September 2018 (full time) and found my dream remote job in Poland :)

My Background:

I studied aerospace engineering in college, but I decided to go for software development when I graduated. I was lucky to find a company in Beijing even though my goal was to find an international company to work for. After spending one year in Bejing, I went back to Taiwan and decided to start applying for international jobs. I had a hard time getting any job because back then I didn't know the proper way of applying for jobs. Then I found Microvese, a remote software development program that teaches you to become a pro at remote jobs. It was completely free until getting a job and it’s worldwide available, so I decided to give it a try.

About The Program:

The program is divided into two part.

In the pre-course work, I spent 1 month to get an overview of software development, web development, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, Ruby and Ruby on Rails. However, I was still not ready to land a job after that.

Once I got accepted into the full-time program, I went over those same languages and technologies, but this time I built at least 30 different projects so I have a very deep understanding of each one now. I worked full-time with my coding partner (another student) by doing remote pair programming. That gave me a lot of teamwork experience, as well as teaching me the most important workflows used by real teams, and helping me improve my communication skills and English level.

I also dedicated at least 100 hours to mastering data structures and algorithms, so I’m now confident to work on more complicated algorithms and coding interviews.

Finally, Microverse assigned me a career coach that worked with me to help me get ready for job interviews. They helped me improve my portfolio, resume and online presence, and taught me everything I needed to know for job interviews. They then helped me find and apply to jobs and even negotiate my salary offers!

Overall:

This program is for the dedicated and determined, but it's not like college or another school. You’re working collaboratively with many other highly-motivated and smart people who are determined to start a career in software development. There is a reason why Microverse accepts less than 1% of the people that apply. If you're looking to pull the trigger and commit to learning to code, then this is the program for you. It is truly incredible how much you can learn in 22 weeks. This program was both incredibly challenging and extremely rewarding.

Bottom line? Great people, great program. If you're committed to this craft and you have a passion for it, go for it.

Best of luck!