microverse-logo

Microverse

Microverse

Microverse offers an online, full-time, 40-week full stack software development course with no upfront costs. Microverse believes that learning should be accessible to everyone, no matter where you live. Their methodology uses remote collaborative learning and mastery learning so that students worldwide can learn together and support one another. Courses are available to students in all countries, with two time zones available for study.

The full stack software development course includes 28 weeks of core curriculum followed by about 12 weeks of job searching. Every Microverse student works with a pair programming partner, a standup team, a mentor, and code reviewers to achieve mastery learning of front end and back end technologies, including computer science foundations, Ruby, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, Redux, Ruby on Rails, algorithms and data structures. A portion of the program is dedicated to professional skills, interview preparation, salary negotiation, and job searching, where students work with career coaches. Throughout the program, students work together to build real-world projects and contribute to open-source projects.

Microverse requires that students are fluent in English. To apply, applicants must solve coding challenges and take part in a collaborative project with another applicant via pair programming. Microverse offers an Income Share Agreement. Every Microverse education costs $0 until a student lands a job making more than $1,000 a month, at which point, the student pays back 15% of their salary until they’ve reached $15,000.

Recent Microverse Reviews: Rating 4.81

all (74) reviews for Microverse →

Recent Microverse News

• Software Development Program

Microverse's Software Development Program is completely free until you get a job. For 22 weeks, you will learn software development while doing remote pair programming with multiple coding partners around the world. This is a full-time and immersive program where you will master computer science foundations, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, HTML, CSS, JavaScript and React. You will also learn how to contribute to open source and find freelance projects as part of the program. Once you are done with the main curriculum, we will help you craft an exceptional resume, portfolio and LinkedIn profile, as well as prepare you to ace the job interviews through mock interviews with other students. Once you are ready, we will work with you to connect with global and remote jobs. No matter where you are in the world, we want to invest in your education and help you succeed as a professional software developer.
    Tuition PlansThe program is completely free until you find a job. After that, you will pay 15% of your monthly salary until you reach a cap of $15,000.
    Prep WorkYou will need to pass a series of coding challenges and complete a collaborative project with another applicant in order to join the program. If you are not ready for the coding challenges yet, you can complete our pre-course work.
  • Irotori Baroka  User Photo
    Irotori Baroka • Full Stack Web Developer • Student Verified via GitHub
    For a long time I have been looking for a school to learn practical software development in order to change careers and find a new job.
    After going through several programs, I can say that Microverse is the best. The organization of the courses, the reativity of the platform and the connections that are created with other developers around the world. It's great
  • Arturo Hermida  User Photo
    Arturo Hermida • Student Verified via GitHub
    After 4 months of learning at Microverse, I've got amazing experiences with my partner from all around the world, I also learn awesome technologies by doing projects almost every week.

Now I feel confident about my knowledge and a step closer to my first tech job.
  • Oybek Kayumov  User Photo
    Oybek Kayumov • Full-stack dveloper • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    At the end of 2021, in November, I started my journey in the world of programming with the Microverse. I didn't have any programming experience. I heard about HTML and thought it was so easy , and everyone could write anything in it. How wrong I was. Now, six months later, I am confident in HTML, CSS, javascript, react, redux, and much more. I learned how to work in pairs, learned how to cope with stressful situations, and made many friends from all over the world.
  • Chia Carlyle  User Photo
    Chia Carlyle • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I recently published an article on Medium titled, "My Journey as a Software Developer",  here attached is the link to that article - https://medium.com/@chiacarlyle/my-journey-with-software-development-11689ced7f8f. I mention this article because it talks a lot about my experience at Microverse; and yes, it's worth writing/blogging about.

Microverse is the perfect blend between theory and practicals, knowledge and skill, technical and professional, accelerated and traditional. It has one of the best curricula out there which focuses on helping you learn the most in-demand skills in software development so you can get a great job no matter where you are. The standard program runs for nine months, but students can take longer if they need more time to grasp the concepts. Career coaches help in job search upon completion of the curriculum. This is the basic information you can find anywhere on the internet.

Personally, I think Microverse is a Godsend. No matter who you are, how much technical skill you have or not, Microverse will always have something for you. It is impossible to go through a single block in Microverse and not experience a marked transformation in at least one aspect of your career.
    For people like me from developing countries who can not afford to pay $15000 upfront for a Bootcamp to get standard education, Microverse is a Deus ex machiña. Letting Micronauts pay gradually AFTER getting their ideal jobs is just amazing. An idea like this can not really get enough praise and commendation. Take advantage of it while you can!
    Another thing that makes Microverse standout is its cordial, large, and ever-growing community. Once a Micronaut, forever a Micronaut! and of course, why would you ever want to leave such an amazing family? Senior Micronauts are always more than happy to offer mentorship, guidance, and directions, to younger ones. Those who have attained their goals always offer their insights and share their experiences so that others can learn from them. The students always help one another get unstuck, make them write better code through code reviews, contribute to projects through remote pair-programming, and so on.

Microverse is not without its cons as it can be very overwhelming, especially in its first few weeks. My stress levels got so high that I got ill, and almost gave up, but I had a good support system that helped me pull through that tough spell. Since then, it's gotten easier and better.

If you are into software development, Microverse is the right place for you; there is no Bootcamp that culminates to be better than Microverse, online or onsite, and you can quote me anywhere.
  • Abenezer Tilahun Mesafint  User Photo
    Abenezer Tilahun Mesafint • Software developer • Student Verified via GitHub
    This program is actually one of the best programs I've found. It's a really quick and serious program, so you have to be focused on what you're doing the entire program, but even with the speed of the program, it's a really good experience, not only because you learn a lot in a short time, but also because you meet new people every week, and you can build your professional and non-professional network with the people you find here. I started the  with having some experience with software development , nowadays, I feel really confident with JavaScript, React and Redux, even though I know I still have a lot to learn. I would really recommend this program if you are really interested in programming, even if you don't know anything about it right now, but if you want to learn, this is a great place for you!
    - 3/19/2022
    Vahan  User Photo
    Vahan • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Props
    - shows the way how to become a professional developer and leads along with it;
    - presents a sufficient number of materials and resources for learning, which also provide orientation for self-searching for the necessary;
    - during the training creates a real working atmosphere, as if you are already working as a developer for some company, instilling professional skills;
    - в обучении делает упор на реальных проектах;
    - teaches not only software development but also the correct presentation of yourself in the relevant social networks, which significantly increases the chances of finding your dream job;
    - devotes a lot of time to life coaching, which is not only useful but also brings a motivating variety to the learning process;
    - and finally, it allows people to get the desired education, for whom the main obstacle on this path is the lack of proper finances.

Cons
    - for me, the learning curriculum seemed a little fast, which is more suitable for those who come here with a certain background in programming, however, there is an opportunity to follow a slower path, thanks to the ability to repeat the blocks of the course a certain number of times;
    - I would also wish that they liberalize the control during the working day, even if it would not be so useful for learning :)
  • Not recommended
    - 3/15/2022
    Robert  User Photo
    Robert • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I'm writing this review just to warn people not to make my same mistake. When you see those ads about some kind of American online school teaching you how to code and guaranteeing you'll get a job after their course you feel like it's something amazing and a life-changing opportunity. It is not.

Disclaimer: This is my point of view as a student from an European country. Most of the students are from Africa, with lots of language barriers and technical problems. If you're not from a well-developer country, the same thoughts might not apply to you and you might see Microverse as a way out of a bad situation, but I still suggest you make sure that paying back 15.000$, which is a huge amount of money, is worth it for basic education.

TL;DR - Don't join Microverse, the education is barely enough to land you a junior position, the cost is absurd compared to the education and help you get, the learning material is all free and public, you don't get that 'Guaranteed job' they talk about and the diversity of students you'll face will cause a bad learning experience because of language barriers. You're better off following good tutorials on YouTube and later on attending a paid upfront specialization course that will help you secure a job way better.

I'll start off by saying I'm a lazy person, I didn't go to university and all I have is a high school diploma, but I had a passion for developing software, so I decided I might give it a try. You know, those amazing ads saying that you owe them nothing unless you get a job really sound tempting.
    At the onboarding, you get some material to go through, mostly basic HTML/CSS and a bit of JS, you get paired with another student and you have to build a project from 'The Odin Project' list of assignments. You have a total of 6 pair-programming projects to finish before getting onboarded, and I have to say I've been either terribly unlucky or this was the normal onboarding process, because all 3 times I've had difficulties even speaking basic English to the other student because of their language, and one student didn't even show up so I had to submit the project all by myself. But this went well and I was excited to start my journey.

At the first modules, you get an introduction to very very VERY basic HTML and CSS, literally starting from zero, and have to build a sketch of your portfolio following one of the templates provided, you get to feel what a day at Microverse is like and you get to meet other students. As time passes by, you start realizing there's huge skill gaps between the students, the more you progress the more people will start copying and not caring about learning, ruining the experience of pair programming as they progress just by stealing other people's works. Microverse says they use tools to detect plagiarism among students, but I've had experiences where a student copied my whole project line by line and nothing was done about that, MORE THAN ONCE. The review process is given as a part-time position to students who are more than halfway-through the program, getting paid around 200-300$ per month, based on how many reviews they get, which means many people will just do it for the money and not for improving the other students' experience, resulting in poorly done reviews which let people progress when they shouldn't.

By the time you reach the final modules no one really cares about following the activities anymore, the meetings are joined muted with camera off, no one talks about anything, and if there is a pair programming activity, it's usually one side doing most of the job.

Before you get onboarded there's tons of promises about career coaches, financial advisors, student success team being there for you and helping you secure a job after you 'graduate', but I found out that as soon as I finished the program, all you get is a list of websites where you should look for a job on (Most of them requiring higher seniorities as they're remote positions) and that's it. They literally tell you 'Now go look for a job' and that's it. No offers as soon as you finish, no interviews setup already, nothing. Their promise of "We'll help you land a job" is just translated into a weekly call with a career coach that does nothing but rush through the available 30 mins for the session (For 4-5 students, not just one) asking about how job search is going, that's it. The most effort I've seen from the team at helping you land a job is a Huntr board where they say they have a curated list of job offers that could interest you, handpicked by the staff. What I found on that board, though, is a list of job offers where 80% of them wasn't even related to coding, and many of them weren't even remote. From the 20% job offers related to coding, they were mostly senior positions. They even had the guts to add a job listing as an auto sales person at a dealership in the US, which I find ridiculous and it just shows how 'handpicked' those job offers really are.

Don't expect the certificates or graduation you get from Microverse to mean anything to your future job interviewer, they always tro to make you leverage the fact that you've attended an online school and coded for over 10,000 hours while also doing pair programming and attending curriculum activites, but the education you get from Microverse is really basic, barely enough to land you a junior level job, that's why a lot of students will spend many more months sharpening their skills before they can actually find a position.

I'll end saying that I succesfully landed a job after Microverse, but it wasn't thanks to Microverse, not at all, I didn't get any support from them, and I feel like having to pay 15.000$ back is a robbery because of how bad my experience was with this course, when I could've paid less for better courses with more serious students.
    Response From: Meesen Brown of Microverse
    Title: Head of Marketing
    Friday, Apr 08 2022
    Hi Robert, thank you for sharing your feedback, I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your Microverse experience. We take all feedback very seriously and our entire team works tirelessly to consistently improve Microverse and better support you, and all students, for the entirety of your careers.

At Microverse we very much view education as an investment, not a cost, and encourage everyone to look at it this way too, as it truly is an investment in your future.

We'd really appreciate the opportunity to learn more about your personal experience and encourage you to reach out to success@microverse.org so we can discuss this further. We look forward to your message. Warmly, Meesen
  • Dib  User Photo
    Dib • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Two years ago, I graduated as a fresh computer engineer. at this point, I face difficulties to start my carrier the most one is to prepare myself for my first job or internship during the coronavirus where everything was closed. All the things together push me to start looking online for tutorial and online coding programs and to improve my coding skills. Here the role of Facebook algorithms relates to what I have searched in google and gives me an advertisement about related things on my Facebook page.

At first, when I receive an advertisement about microverse I didn't give it as important as it is now, but inside me, I said "why not let's give it a try".so I start the application process through emails and solving the javascript challenges and collaboration  exercises to be accepted

after getting accepted by the microverse team, I start searching about the program more and more and browse all the feedback about it. the result was more than what I was expected. then starting from the first week at this microverse program till now, I get satisfied because I did one of the rightest decisions in my carrier life.

As conclusion and advice from me: "don't wait for an opportunity search for it". In the end thanks for reading this article about my microverse journey, I hope you like it, I will re-inform you more about the journey in this online school in the coming stages soon.

• Ricky Mormor  User Photo
    Ricky Mormor • Software Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I started microverse with a little coding experience, mainly from youtube tutorials and articles. I felt I was missing a lot of things and the worst part is that I didn't know what they were until I joined microverse. Microverse has helped me become a better developer not only learning how to code but also improving my soft skills. Now I can confidently collaborate in remote teams and even lead them when I need to. Thanks to microverse.
  • Furkan  User Photo
    Furkan • Full stack developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    We gained the skills you need to get hired by global companies. We owe them nothing until we get a job —no matter what country we’re in. We learned through pair programming, group projects, career coach guidance, and project reviews. we have received support from their dedicated Student Success Team, mentors, a personal career coach...
  • Amazing!
    - 11/29/2021
    Isaí Céspedes  User Photo
    Isaí Céspedes • Software Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    This program is actually one of the best programs I've found. It's a really quick and serious program, so you have to be focused on what you're doing the entire program, but even with the speed of the program, it's a really good experience, not only because you learn a lot in a short time, but also because you meet new people every week, and you can build your professional and non-professional network with the people you find here. I started the program knowing some HTML, CSS, and a tiny of JavaScript, nowadays, I feel really confident with JavaScript, React and Redux, even though I know I still have a lot to learn. I would really recommend this program if you are really interested in programming, even if you don't know anything about it right now, but if you want to learn, this is a good place for you!
  • Zain Sadaqat  User Photo
    Zain Sadaqat • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I found Microverse on LinkedIn and there were a couple of things that made me apply for microverse immediately were the stack they were teaching ( JavaScript, React, Redux, Ruby and Databases, Ruby on Rails ) and ISA ( Income Share Agreement ) where I've to pay nothing upfront and I've to pay 15% only when my monthly income is more than $1,000 till it reaches to $15,000.

I'm about to complete my React Redux Module and so far I've learned a lot of things that I couldn't learn alone due to distraction or I'll be doing in any Software Company.

For me, Microverse is an Ideal Software Development Institute to become a Full Stack Web Development and I highly recommend this.