microverse-logo

Microverse

Microverse

Microverse offers an online, full-time, 28-32-week software development course with no upfront costs. Microverse believes that learning should be accessible to everyone – their methodology uses remote collaborative learning so that students from all around the world can support each other and learn together. Each student works with a pair programming partner, a standup team, a mentor, and TSEs (Technical Support Engineers who are graduates of the program) to help scope and design development projects using technologies like JavaScript, React, Ruby on Rails, and Node.js. Most of the time spent in the program is spent working with other students on real-world projects like building programs and contributing to open source projects.

Microverse requires that students are fluent in English, have access to high speed internet, own a computer, and have at least 3 months of experience learning to code full-time (or the equivalent) before joining the 22-week program. To apply, applicants must complete pre-course work, solve coding challenges, and take part in a collaborative project with another applicant via pair programming.

Microverse students receive job interview prep, have unlimited access to a career coach when they graduate, and only pay tuition once they receive a job or freelance contract as a software developer. Graduates with a job pay 15% of their monthly salary up to a cap of $15,000.

Courses are available to students in all countries, with three timezones available for study.

Recent Microverse Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (4) reviews for Microverse →

Recent Microverse News

• Software Development Program

Microverse's Software Development Program is completely free until you get a job. For 22 weeks, you will learn software development while doing remote pair programming with multiple coding partners around the world. This is a full-time and immersive program where you will master computer science foundations, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, HTML, CSS, JavaScript and React. You will also learn how to contribute to open source and find freelance projects as part of the program. Once you are done with the main curriculum, we will help you craft an exceptional resume, portfolio and LinkedIn profile, as well as prepare you to ace the job interviews through mock interviews with other students. Once you are ready, we will work with you to connect with global and remote jobs. No matter where you are in the world, we want to invest in your education and help you succeed as a professional software developer.
    The program is completely free until you find a job. After that, you will pay 15% of your monthly salary until you reach a cap of $15,000.
    You will need to pass a series of coding challenges and complete a collaborative project with another applicant in order to join the program. If you are not ready for the coding challenges yet, you can complete our pre-course work.
    Interview

• Chibuzor Efedigbue  User Photo
    Chibuzor Efedigbue • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I’m a Microverse graduate from Ibadan, Nigeria, and I now work as a full-stack remote developer making 8 times of what I earned previously, 3 times what my colleagues in Nigeria are making.

Last year, a friend suggested I should learn to code instead of continuing to work in customer support for a US-based company. I took his advice. I started learning to code through freeCodeCamp, but I stopped because I didn’t have anyone or anything to push me to keep learning.

I learned about Microverse and applied. I got in and I worked hard to make sure I didn’t lose my chance to become a software developer without paying until I got a job. The program was actually fun. I cultivated great work habits and made good friends all around the world. I still talk to some of the friends I made several times a week, Sanel from Bosnia and Dipto from Bangladesh. I’ve never even been to those countries.

Microvere also helps you prepare for working in a professional, remote job. They make sure you learn how to actually build projects, how to work together as a part of a remote software development team, and the process of getting your code live. My job is like Microverse, I submit pull requests and get my code reviewed by fresh eyes several times a week, like I used to with Kevin (my mentor at Microverse, from Kenya)

I recommend Microverse to anybody. I have three people already working on the pre-course work from my recommendation. I think that if you can make sure you have internet and electricity, Microverse is what you need to do. I know those aren’t problems in Europe, they can be in Africa.

• Paul Rail  User Photo
    Paul Rail • Software Developer (JavaScript / Ruby on Rails) • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Some background: I used to work in finance, but I started learning to code after realizing a lot of what I did in finance wasn’t being valued and there was so much opportunity in software development.

I joined Microverse as part of one of its first cohorts. For me, Microverse’s biggest draw was that, unlike most other coding bootcamps and really most traditional forms of education in general, where they take your money upfront and don’t care what happens afterwards, at Microverse I wouldn’t owe anything until I got a job—and if I didn’t get a job, I wouldn’t owe anything. This means that the organisation’s interests are the same as mine, which is a system that is fundamentally better in every way. All education should be like this. So I decided to take the leap and join.

Before joining Microverse, I learned a little bit of coding through free resources like freeCodeCamp and practicing through #100DaysOfCode. Microverse realizes this—that some of the best learning content is already out there—so they focus on guiding you to the right content and supporting you with a network of intelligent, ambitious people.

Microverse is also based on “remote pair programming”. If you’re not familiar with remote pair programming, it’s based on the idea that two heads are better than one. Basically, we were paired with another student, and every day, my partner and I would switch between being a “driver” and “navigator”. One of us would write the code and the other person would watch and provide feedback, comment, or suggest a different way of doing things.  My partner (Kyle) was great—he was smart, ambitious, and hard-working. I was lucky to have him—we had our “aha!” moments at different times and we were able to play off of our different strengths.

The program is also substantially more thorough and complete compared to what typical coding bootcamps offer. So this really should not be called a “bootcamp” or considered as such.

One of the last parts of the curriculum is the “career prep” portion where you spruce up your resume, your online portfolio, and your online profiles while also practicing interview questions.  I found some freelance work through Microverse, and combined with the projects I completed during the program, I received A LOT of calls and emails from recruiters before even finishing that section. I was humbled. I ended up turning off my online profiles and stopped accepting more interviews.

Going into my interviews, I didn’t feel ready for them because I didn’t have time to practice. Luckily, I passed several of them and received several job offers. I was like “Is this actually happening?” I genuinely started losing sleep because I was having a hard time deciding between several great job offers.

​Microverse has the same incentive as you—to help you get a great job. In order to get there, they guide you toward the best materials to learn the most in-demand coding skills, surround you with an ambitious community, pair you with someone else going through the program, and help you establish a schedule and accountability. All education should be this way

• Max Li  User Photo
    Max Li • full stack js developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended Microverse remote software development program from April 2018 to September 2018 (full time) and found my dream remote job in Poland :)

My Background:

I studied aerospace engineering in college, but I decided to go for software development when I graduated. I was lucky to find a company in Beijing even though my goal was to find an international company to work for. After spending one year in Bejing, I went back to Taiwan and decided to start applying for international jobs. I had a hard time getting any job because back then I didn't know the proper way of applying for jobs. Then I found Microvese, a remote software development program that teaches you to become a pro at remote jobs. It was completely free until getting a job and it’s worldwide available, so I decided to give it a try.

About The Program:

The program is divided into two part.

In the pre-course work, I spent 1 month to get an overview of software development, web development, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, Ruby and Ruby on Rails. However, I was still not ready to land a job after that.

Once I got accepted into the full-time program, I went over those same languages and technologies, but this time I built at least 30 different projects so I have a very deep understanding of each one now. I worked full-time with my coding partner (another student) by doing remote pair programming. That gave me a lot of teamwork experience, as well as teaching me the most important workflows used by real teams, and helping me improve my communication skills and English level.

I also dedicated at least 100 hours to mastering data structures and algorithms, so I’m now confident to work on more complicated algorithms and coding interviews.

Finally, Microverse assigned me a career coach that worked with me to help me get ready for job interviews. They helped me improve my portfolio, resume and online presence, and taught me everything I needed to know for job interviews. They then helped me find and apply to jobs and even negotiate my salary offers!

Overall:

This program is for the dedicated and determined, but it's not like college or another school. You’re working collaboratively with many other highly-motivated and smart people who are determined to start a career in software development. There is a reason why Microverse accepts less than 1% of the people that apply. If you're looking to pull the trigger and commit to learning to code, then this is the program for you. It is truly incredible how much you can learn in 22 weeks. This program was both incredibly challenging and extremely rewarding.

Bottom line? Great people, great program. If you're committed to this craft and you have a passion for it, go for it.

Best of luck!

• Sava Vuckovic • Software Developer • Student

I graduated high school and decided to learn software development instead of going to college. At first, I learned on my own with freeCodeCamp, Udemy, Udacity, and YouTube videos.

I learned about Microverse and that they would help you become a software developer free of charge until you had a job. I also read that everything was done in pairs, and I was interested because I wanted to try working with another developer. I also saw they had code reviewers check your work. I applied and was accepted.

I was paired with Kevin, a developer from Kenya. I’m from Serbia and we only had a small time difference, so it worked out well. Pair programming had a lot of benefits. For example, Kevin had more programming experience than me, which was really helpful. He taught me more about algorithms and databases, and due to my experience in front-end web development, I was also able to teach him few things.

I was doing the Career Prep portion of the curriculum when I saw a local internship that tends to lead to a full-time job. I had already practiced some algorithms and interview questions with Microverse, and I was glad that some of those questions were on the interview. I passed and got the internship.

I would definitely recommend Microverse to anyone who is hungry to learn software development and willing to dedicate 6 months or so.