microverse-logo

Microverse

Microverse

Microverse offers an online, full-time, 40-week full stack software development course with no upfront costs. Microverse believes that learning should be accessible to everyone, no matter where you live. Their methodology uses remote collaborative learning and mastery learning so that students worldwide can learn together and support one another. Courses are available to students in all countries, with two time zones available for study.

The full stack software development course includes 28 weeks of core curriculum followed by about 12 weeks of job searching. Every Microverse student works with a pair programming partner, a standup team, a mentor, and code reviewers to achieve mastery learning of front end and back end technologies, including computer science foundations, Ruby, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, Redux, Ruby on Rails, algorithms and data structures. A portion of the program is dedicated to professional skills, interview preparation, salary negotiation, and job searching, where students work with career coaches. Throughout the program, students work together to build real-world projects and contribute to open-source projects.

Microverse requires that students are fluent in English. To apply, applicants must solve coding challenges and take part in a collaborative project with another applicant via pair programming. Microverse offers an Income Share Agreement. Every Microverse education costs $0 until a student lands a job making more than $1,000 a month, at which point, the student pays back 15% of their salary until they’ve reached $15,000.

Recent Microverse Reviews: Rating 4.83

all (52) reviews for Microverse →

Recent Microverse News

• Software Development Program

Microverse's Software Development Program is completely free until you get a job. For 22 weeks, you will learn software development while doing remote pair programming with multiple coding partners around the world. This is a full-time and immersive program where you will master computer science foundations, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, HTML, CSS, JavaScript and React. You will also learn how to contribute to open source and find freelance projects as part of the program. Once you are done with the main curriculum, we will help you craft an exceptional resume, portfolio and LinkedIn profile, as well as prepare you to ace the job interviews through mock interviews with other students. Once you are ready, we will work with you to connect with global and remote jobs. No matter where you are in the world, we want to invest in your education and help you succeed as a professional software developer.
    Tuition PlansThe program is completely free until you find a job. After that, you will pay 15% of your monthly salary until you reach a cap of $15,000.
    Prep WorkYou will need to pass a series of coding challenges and complete a collaborative project with another applicant in order to join the program. If you are not ready for the coding challenges yet, you can complete our pre-course work.
  • Daniel Samuel  User Photo
    Daniel Samuel • Software Developer(Full-stack) • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    As a learner with little background in software development, I applied to Microverse in October 2020, after visiting Microverse official website via a tweet I came across online.
    I officially started my journey as a Micronaunt in March 2021 after a series of pre-enrollment exercises, which later proved to be a very important aspect of my journey.
    My first week seems a bit overwhelming, but with the support system put in place to assist beginners, I was able to excel the first few weeks and learn interesting skills that help boost my confidence and belief system as the weeks progress.
    The program curriculum is well structured and organised in such a fashion that it present learners with varieties of learning material and curated course content to digest from based on learners assimilation abilities and speed. The support system is organised in a fashion that will enable learners to always have someone to reach out to when face with challenges, for example, one could easily reach out to the stand-up team, coding and collaborative partner, mentors and student success team, all readily available to support your growth and journey and help clear the blockers for continual progress.
    The structure in Microverse has exposed me to the real-world work environment and each day to day activity and challenge I face has helped build my professional skills and shape my belief system to enable me to excel in my career as a software developer.
    Every day, I wake up with strong determination and desire to give my best, always committed focus and persistent to achieve my career goals, these daily drives have enabled me to become great at learning any skill and mastering new tools with ease. Personally, for me, the manner in which the learning system has been able to inject into me the ability to learn and relearn things is my greatest motivation, because facing a new task doesn't scare me anymore, I just believe I have what it takes to learn and be the best at it simple!. Therefore, it has been a game-changer for me.
    Finally, my journey in Microverse up to this point has been a fantastic and remarkable experience. So, without any reservation, I will recommend Microverse to anyone who has a strong desire to become a Software developer and want to be not just a full-stack web developer but the best that the world will be proud to have to join Microverse right away.
  • Ihedoro Fortunatus Onyekachi  User Photo
    Ihedoro Fortunatus Onyekachi • Student • Student Verified via GitHub
    Joining microverse, I had less than 4 months of coding experience. It was very tough at the beginning, the first couple of weeks was overwhelming, the pace was too fast and the projects were way more than I had thought of me doing at that very stage. The student success knows how difficult these early stages can be hence they introduced fellow older students to mentor us. My mentor was so professional, friendly and patient. He guided me through the rough weeks.
    After these few weeks, I had gotten tougher and adapted to the system.
    Microverse has almost every scenario planned and the support system is second to none.
    The curriculum should be the best among other online schools around.
    The entire work structure and tree prepares the student for every real-life scenario. My friend who works remotely too told me that when I am done with the microverse programme, I would be more ready than even those who have been working for years.
    I would recommend microverse to every aspiring developer, here you will sharpen your skills and increase your market value
  • Marco Parra  User Photo
    Marco Parra • Fullstack web developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Have you ever experienced what it is like to feel aimless and lost in this universe being a professional and eager to feel part of something bigger?

I can tell you that compared to the world, microverse (whose name hides a great meaning) managed in a very special way to show me a very large universe within something as small as a letter, a character, a binary value.

The difference in values ​​between each letter, no matter how small, implies a major flaw in the code or brings you one step closer to the resolution of the whole work.

Microverse has provided me with a new and wonderful course, clearly structured in each character and number that I've written in my code and then assemble between small worlds forging a specific process which is called: algorithm.

Each project is a challenge, it is a universe within the microverse.

Being myself author, judge, jury, and victim within each one is a feeling that prepares you to sink the worst and perfects or to reach the next level of knowledge.

Thanks to microverse, today I have a clear and fixed goal, which is becoming more palpable with each reading that I do,  each solution I build, each headache between trial and error, and with the great satisfaction of a battle won by noticing that a comma or key was missing.

Today I see my path clear, my next goal, my fixed course, and my position in this well-defined world thanks to the fact that I first learned what a letter is worth in the world of coding.

I can only say:

Thank you very much, and happy coding for all the brave ones who are not afraid of getting lost in the constant error output but keep on going until they see the prompt with the dreamed green letter color.
  • Rashad Muntar  User Photo
    Rashad Muntar • Software Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    The structure of the curriculum put together by microverse really made me learn the languages far better than if I were to learn them on my own without any guidance.
    The various mini-projects that I built with my coding partner, the solo project and the materials provided to guide our knowledge were what made the magic.  I think in general it was an amazing experience.
    - 4/14/2021
    Ralph  User Photo
    Ralph • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I loved my time at microverse cause they give an environment to grow as a software developer through their collaborative learning. This is a great way to dive right into the "working world" of web development. Their support structure of having a standup team and a body of students from all over the world has helped me cope through rough days and helped me learn a lot in terms of how I personally could improve my abilities as a software developer. This is a great opportunity for everyone who is passionate about programming but just can't seem to get their foot through the door.
  • Experience
    - 4/2/2021
    Ana Paula  User Photo
    Ana Paula • Student Verified via GitHub
    From a person who came from Legal area and had no experience with coding, Microverse has brought me to this world marvelously.
    The daily schedule makes us dive into a software development experience. The peer-to-peer programming gives us a great opportunity to connect with a lot of people from the same area.
    Each day is a growing day, and it has been amazing. Sometimes difficult, but every struggle worths the price, because at the end we know we are going to the right path and seeing our results.
  • Milagros Puente  User Photo
    Milagros Puente • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    General: It's been good, I feel I've learned a lot

Pros:
    - Big community, this is important when you're struggling especially with technical issues.
    - ISA (Income share agreement), the chance to start paying them when you're already working and earning on a related job position.
    - You only need to have the basic technical knowledge to be able to be selected to join the program.
    - If you're not a native English speaker, it's a great daily practice to improve your speaking skills.
    - Pair programming, having a working/coding partner helps you to improve your soft-skills, and to face technical problems with a partner makes it easier to work on and solve them (most of the time).
    - Stand-up team, having team-mates to talk to, share your doubts or technical issues, or just talk about your day is a good thing.
    - I think that the tech-skill-set is good and follows on-demand tool-trends (opensource).
    - Global/multicultural, interacting and working sometimes with people with a different cultural background helps you to improve on your tolerance and openness to different ways of thinking.

Cons:
     - An improvement for Microverse could be to create its own learning materials, not depending completely on external sources like The Odin Project.
    - Because of the previous point, there are some projects where you can feel very lost even on how to start, especially if you come from a very different background (not software/tech-related).
    - Also because of the previous point, if you are struggling with a technical issue, you can get stuck easily, and/or you'll end up Googling trying to find more resources/videos/blogs on how to solve the issue.
    - The daily schedule could seem very strict at the beginning (but after some time you get used to it).
    - Having to fill-out a daily form about daily goals for the next day is really tedious and at least, my stand-up team and I don't feel it's really useful (especially when you're ahead in the program).
    - For some projects, the deadline time set is not sufficient, and/or the instructions are not very very clear.
  • Lameck Otieno  User Photo
    Lameck Otieno • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
     Have you been struggling to maintain focus on your coding journey? Do you feel overwhelmed while learning code? Is it taking you so long to finally get out of the tutorial hell and start building projects? If your answer is yes to any of the above, then Microverse might just be the number one motivator that you need. Let me brief you a bit of my experience since joining Microverse. I was this helpless person who never had a serious and carefully projected path to learning software engineering. I never thought that learning how to code can be so much joy when you are doing it in a peer-learning environment. Working together on a codebase and sharing ideas is a plus to learning code. I have ended up grasping concepts faster and within a span of one month, I had learned a lot than I could believe. My confidence levels have been going higher and higher. Getting exposed to and working with students from different cultures around the culture has really improved my communication skills. What I like most at Microverse is my standup team. This is a group of not more than six students. I have gained so much from being a member of my standup team. We never let any member of the team be blocked as far as the technical curriculum is concerned. To summarise my experience I would say I am a changed and more committed person. I never thought it would be possible in an environment where there are no instructors. Microverse has done great structuring to ensure students feel supported.

Pros
    - One builds good communication skills: The structure of the program, which's majorly on working collaboratively, will positively impact your communication skills. Your shyness will reduce as your confidence builds up.
    - One achieves excellence: Project submissions at Microverse are considered complete when you achieve mastery. The code reviews will always ensure that you gain an in-depth understanding of the problem at hand.
    - The support system will help cultivate passion in you.
    - Microverse has a guideline to ensure integrity among learners and therefore the environment is learner-friendly.
    - There is a team called student success. This team will be your listening ear, they can't solve all your problems but will always be there proving wisdom that will help you go through your struggles.
    - Graduates sing praises of the career coaching that they get once done with the technical curriculum.

Cons
    - Some coding partners can be problematic though not all the time. Talk about it with student success.
    - Learning here is only full-time.
    - The student must have reliable electric power and internet connectivity
  • Mateo mojica  User Photo
    Mateo mojica • Full-Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I finished the core program in December 2020 and got a fully remote job in February 2021. Here is what I have to say if you are considering getting into the program.

My experience with Microverse was very positive overall, but as I said in the title it is not for everyone. they are straightforward from the beginning and everything that you hear them talking about the methodology and life inside the program is accurate. The curriculum is well structured and has a good progression curve that will let you learn faster, but if you go in thinking you can change Rails for Python, that is not going to happen.

There are some things that you have to have in mind and ask yourself before deciding to get into Microverse:
    First, Microverse focuses on developing the self-learning skill, that by the way is one of the most asked soft skills by employers, and it does it in a guided way but you are the one doing all the work (They don't have any teachers), so you really have to want to acquire or develop that skill.
    Second, they don't guarantee you get a job, but they have an excellent support network that will guide you to maximize the chances of getting that job, so if you think that if you put through the program you will still get a job, again is on you and the effort that you put in it that is going to get you to that goal.
    Third, to support all this, Microverse gives you access to a whole community designed to help you and support you at different levels, but the most important one is that every project that you make is reviewed by developers and improvement suggestions are going to be made, making you learn more and have better projects to show, for me this is where most of the value of the program is because you can struggle but you will come out a better coder.
    Lastly, the most important thing is that this support network is always changing, they are always testing new ways of doing things or improving the old ones, so probably the curriculum that you go through is not the same I went through and will not be the same that people after you will go through. That shows that they are engaged in you being a good developer and ensures that the curriculum that you completed is the best one for the time you were on.

If after reading all this it sounds like something that you are looking for, then go for it 100%, it will be worth it.
  • My review
    - 2/19/2021
    Jenny  User Photo
    Jenny • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I’m a Full Stack Developer. Formerly an Economist. I decided to take the risk in my professional path and I enrolled at Microverse Inc., a Remote Programming School that prepares Full Stack Developers with the following programming skills and languages: HTML/CSS, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, React, Redux, Javascript, Algorithms, Rspec testing, deployment. Also, the soft skills: Pair Programming, Remote Working, Team Collaboration, and Mentoring. Since day one I learn a lot about the different technologies with students from any part of the world and build more than 30 projects. Also, you got the chance to improve your English level.  The only disadvantage to studying here is probably that you spend more time learning and coding your projects than expected so it can take your weekends and some nights during the week but it is part of learning new skills, so it is full time if you need to have a part-time job is going to be difficult to do it during the program.
  • Ruby on Rails
    - 2/13/2021
    Hamayun waheed  User Photo
    Hamayun waheed • Student Verified via GitHub
    This was a course which was really good for self learning. I got to know many things which i would not be able to if i was doing from somewhere else. The Best thing was that i learned many things which are used in industry.  So basically when you complete course you have many other industry skills rather than just having grip on some framework. The only thing i think microverse has to do is give some more projects to students so that they can have a firm grip on whatever thay are learning.