microverse-logo

Microverse

Microverse

Microverse offers an online, full-time, 38-40-week full stack software development course with no upfront costs. Microverse believes that learning should be accessible to everyone, no matter where you live. Their methodology uses remote collaborative learning and mastery learning so that students worldwide can learn together and support one another. Courses are available to students in all countries, with three time zones available for study.

Every Microverse student works with a pair programming partner, a standup team, a mentor, and Technical Support Engineers to achieve mastery learning of front end and back end technologies, including computer science foundations, Ruby, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, Redux, Ruby on Rails, algorithms and data structures. A portion of the program is dedicated to professional skills, interview preparation, salary negotiation, and job searching, where students work with career coaches. Throughout the program, students work together to build real-world projects and contribute to open-source projects.

Microverse requires that students are fluent in English. To apply, applicants must solve coding challenges and take part in a collaborative project with another applicant via pair programming. Microverse offers an Income Share Agreement. Every Microverse education costs $0 until a student lands a job making more than $1,000 a month, at which point, the student pays back 15% of their salary until they’ve reached $15,000.

Recent Microverse Reviews: Rating 4.94

all (34) reviews for Microverse →

Recent Microverse News

• Software Development Program

Microverse's Software Development Program is completely free until you get a job. For 22 weeks, you will learn software development while doing remote pair programming with multiple coding partners around the world. This is a full-time and immersive program where you will master computer science foundations, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, HTML, CSS, JavaScript and React. You will also learn how to contribute to open source and find freelance projects as part of the program. Once you are done with the main curriculum, we will help you craft an exceptional resume, portfolio and LinkedIn profile, as well as prepare you to ace the job interviews through mock interviews with other students. Once you are ready, we will work with you to connect with global and remote jobs. No matter where you are in the world, we want to invest in your education and help you succeed as a professional software developer.
    Tuition PlansThe program is completely free until you find a job. After that, you will pay 15% of your monthly salary until you reach a cap of $15,000.
    Prep WorkYou will need to pass a series of coding challenges and complete a collaborative project with another applicant in order to join the program. If you are not ready for the coding challenges yet, you can complete our pre-course work.
  • A Proud Student
    - 1/19/2021
    Amita  User Photo
    Amita • Student • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I was taking online courses for programming before Joining Microverse and, I would say I had a basic knowledge of everything we have in the Microverse curriculum. What I  love about this school are the strategy and schedule.

I never felt confident enough about my learning and ability to code, which I can feel right now after joining this school.  You will get tons of online courses and resources for programming but, who will give you the right path for what is next to do.

Microverse provides a learning and working environment that is similar to what you will do in your job.  Here you can interact with people from all around the world. Here you learn how to work with a team or pair programming remotely.  Always there will be someone to help you if you have some issue with your understanding of the concept or your code, there will be someone to review your code which is not possible with online courses or other resources.

Here you will not just learn to program but you will learn soft skills as well, which is much more important than coding skills, especially when you have to work with people from a different culture.

The best part is that you will get a job assistant which is not just for your first job but assistance for your next job as well. School is not asking for anything up front but just your dedication and being honest with yourself.

I can write something much longer than this review about Microverse this is how good I feel about it but, let's finish it here. Hopefully, this will help other students as well who are looking for a good school to start their career in software development.

One more thing I would like to say, If you would like to question, question yourself then only you'll able to improve yourself.
  • Marylene Sawyer  User Photo
    Marylene Sawyer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Pros:
    It offers one a head start on their journey to becoming a professional world-class developer. The curriculum is designed around skills that are relevant to the field of software engineering, and you get a lot of career support as well as accountability from the Microverse team and fellow students. The syllabus focuses on both technical hard skills and soft skills required to succeed in the software industry.
    It is also affordable. MIcroverse has an income share agreement (ISA) policy of fees payment. You don't have to pay for the education program upfront, and are only required to pay for it after you get a job and start working as a developer or data scientist.
    Enrolling at Microverse is a sure way to build your developer portfolio. By the time you finish the program, you will have several "meaty" projects to showcase your potential to prospective employers.
    Collaboration is engrained in the curriculum at Microverse. You get a lot of practice collaborating with other students from all across the globe: this enriches one's experience and enlarges your perspective as a developer.
    The program is fully online; you don't to travel to an on-site campus to study, therefore it's convenient and you save on transport costs.

Cons:
    It is a new school so the syllabus is still being developed, hence updates to the syllabus are frequently made.

• Oscar Mier  User Photo
    Oscar Mier • Technical Support Engineer • Student Verified via GitHub
    I've read some of the negative reviews that others have submitted to this site and although some of it rings true, a lot of it is an exaggeration, in my view.

Although it's true that the materials we use for the course are free of charge, what Microverse offers goes beyond that. I've worked in tech before and I can say from experience that, left to my own devices, I wouldn't have been able to go through the volume of material from the course as quickly as I did, and it was all thanks to the infrastructure that Microverse offers. The added value that Microverse offers comes from the coding partnership and accountability that it brings. Before joining Microverse I tried for two months to find this level of commitment from random friends in the Odin Project forums on my own, and failed miserably. It's not nearly as easy as it sounds.

First of all: the Odin Project has absolutely no screening process: finding a partner is a totally chaotic and random process done on your own and by the time you find someone who is coding at your level, you'll be lucky to retain them without there being any system of accountability or commitment. Microverse is not a scam. We are never told that the material for the course will have any additional cost before joining. A quick google search into what Microverse is will show anyone interested in joining what the school is about and how it works.

Second of all: the Odin Project offers absolutely no career coaching once you finish the curriculum. Good luck guess-working your way through the interview process of companies looking to hire devs. One of the things that sets Microverse apart is the fact that, by the end of the program, you have access to a team of seasoned professionals who either used to be hiring managers at big tech companies or have years (sometimes decades) of experience in the field. Contrary to what some say in the negative reviews, these people are SUPER accessible and have ALWAYS responded to every single e-mail I've sent them. Again: good luck getting insiders like these to respond to your questions about the world of dev job interviews out in the wild (for free!).

And finally: Microverse offers a solid accountability system through a web platform of their own. You sign in, report  on your progress, prove that you're submitting work regularly, and this makes sure that you stay on track through the duration of the program. Again: you might use some random time managemant app for this, but it will not be finely-tuned and evolved in the same manner that the Microverse platform is. Every month we hold a student assembly, and every month there are updates, improvements and features being added. These people work hard to learn and perfect their web app to optimize student experience: they know what they are doing, and it takes them time and work to do. You just don't find this kind of dedication for free out there.

I was fully aware of what I was paying for right from the start, and made a conscious decision to join, simply because I saw great potential in the company. A global school of web dev learners is something that should have existed since long ago, and I'm glad someone had the initiative and the courage to take the idea and run with it.

Microverse is a real school. It feels like a real school and I know that once I land a job I will look back and remember it as fondly as I did any other school where I've been a student. Obviously, nothing is perfect, and some of the bad experiences of some of the students here are valid. But I would just like everyone to know that there is a lot of misconception and distortion going around as well.
  • Carlos Robles  User Photo
    Carlos Robles • Full Stack Developer • Student Verified via GitHub
    The best way to get a full remote studies as a software engineer, i´ve been full time student working remotely with people arround the world, this is a multi culture experience that i´ve been having across this program.
    daily we have a team call were we refresh our knowledge and we show our code projects and then you have a call with your coding partner where you solve many projects in diferent conding lenguages and frameworks.
    extras that we do inside microverse that you will love it:
    Algorithms, data structures, back-end, front-end, how to improve your soft skills, remote team work, and we work with the best coding lenguages.

Why am i here?
    I'm here because Microverse gives me an opportunity to improve myself like a person and professionaly. I had to leave my university studies for support my family and i found Microverse like an opportunity to acomplish my goals and my dreams.

Microverse it's a program where you will invest your time in a full development program and there you will study without any pay and when you get a job you can pay for your education. This is a great opportunity to be part of this great experiencia.
  • Thiago  User Photo
    Thiago • Junior Back-End Developer • Verified via LinkedIn
    Here I got a good base knowledge, so now I can build things from my own, due it got my first job as a developer. Thus, the pursuit of seniority will be more clear now. I strongly recommend the pre-course, if you enjoy it, so the program is for you. The projects we build here are basic, and that's fine because they cover the core that we need to start working on real projects, as I see in my job.
  • Kingsley Omotayo  User Photo
    Kingsley Omotayo • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

The best thing to happen to me in 2019 was joining microverse because it completely changed my life by giving me the tools I needed to get my dream job as a remote software engineer in a fully remote company. The staff of Microverse are so helpful and are genuinely interested in your personal growth as a software developer and person.

• Gabriela Cruz  User Photo
    Gabriela Cruz Verified via GitHub
    A Microverse ad on Facebook appeared in front of me at the right moment. The message they had was "you don't pay anything until you get a job that pays you $1,000 USD or more.” That is a huge plus for people that don’t have the resources, but have the desire to study.

Also, the fact that Microverse helps you to find a remote job as a software developer after the training is a huge plus. Now, we have 2 points in favor of Microverse.

The difficulty to find a good job in a small city encouraged me to join Microverse, as one of my goals is to enter in the software development world to learn how this works from inside a real software company.

After 5 months, I define Microverse as a place where you can find people with interests similar to yours, that are willing to help you anytime you ask for help, and a place where you will learn to code as a pro.

Another feature is the pair programming, where you will practice your English, learn to explain your ideas and code, and understand other people's code and ideas. Also, you will learn more about time zones.

But if this is not enough, there are also TSEs (technical support engineers) that review your code and give you feedback to improve your code and projects.

• Yunus Emre AYBEY  User Photo
    Yunus Emre AYBEY • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    When I learned about Microverse for the first time, I couldn't believe it. "Do not pay until you get a job" seemed too good to be true, but I suppose that's how a school commits itself to its students.

Still, I wondered if I could learn to code through the program, so I was excited when I was accepted.

In 3 months, I learned more than in 4 years studying computer engineering at my college. And now that I am about to finish the technical curriculum, I'm confident about my ability to work with Microverse to get my first job as a software developer.

Additionally, I feel like Microverse is my family. They really care about you, listen to your problems, and help you to overcome them.

Also, they don't stop. Microverse continues adding staff to the curriculum team, and I can tell the program is improving every day.

I'm from Turkey. Believe me when I say Microverse is not selling a dream from thousands of miles away. They are making them real.
  • Ryan Vergara  User Photo
    Ryan Vergara • Software Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

What attracted me initially to Microverse's full-time program was the pair coding scheme. I had never collaborated with anyone in building software prior to joining Microverse. I wanted to learn how to build scalable software so I needed to be able to work with others in complex projects. After months in the program, I got more than what I wanted.

Every single day, for at least 8 hours, I and my coding partner worked on coding challenges and then built complex apps. We also spent time discussing concepts (debated, researched, experimented). Those daily grinds strengthened our engineer muscles and made us ready for war.

When the time was ripe, we were also assigned newer students to mentor as well as perform code reviews. These two tasks developed in us the leadership capability necessary to become senior developers. While one might argue that becoming a senior engineer is mostly about high technical IQ, I would counter that 5 highly motivated junior engineers led by a good senior engineer would build better apps than one rockstar senior engineer.

I am now in the Career-preparation stage of the program. I have been assigned a dedicated career coach who has been amazing. Every step into building my online presence (LinkedIn, Resume, Portfolio, even how I introduce myself) she has been guiding me.

Above all those great stuff the biggest value I got by enroling to Microverse is the friendships I have build over the months. I now have new friends from all over the world - Asia, North and South America, Africa and Europe. With this, I would even consider Microverse as a Social Network - but one that makes one build a network deeper than clicking a "Connect" or "Add Friend" button.

The only requirement to succeed in Microverse's full-time program is the willingness to invest time. The returns are more than a thousand percent compounded!

• Elizabeth Villalejos  User Photo
    Elizabeth Villalejos • Fullstack web developer • Student Verified via GitHub

Microverse came into my life at a strange time where I was in a crossroad about where should I "steer the wheel" on my life. I had recently finished up a second degree, been applying for all kinds of jobs with little to no luck due to living in a small city where good paying jobs are scarce and my availability had been cut short significantly due to taking care of a loved one who was in the hospital.

During my sister's hospital time I re-discovered coding. I had always wanted to give it a shot, but never felt like I was good enough to make it work. Started picking up lessons here and there, then came along a Microverse ad. I was sure I wanted to go deep into this and Microverse gave me the perfect opportunity. It specializes in remote jobs so that was perfect for me as I was sure I could not leave my family at this time.

Microverse lets you build your knowledge, practice your english and people skills and build a strong sense of confidence at the same time. Learning in a supportive community where everyone is willing to help and strive for each other's success is something that I don't think you find anywhere. I'm grateful I took the plunge on this.

After finishing main projects curriculum, they also prep you for interviews, help you polish your portfolio, help along with the job negotiation and lay down all the resources they have to make sure you succeed. 100/100 would recommend. I'm even trying to get my sister on board so you know it's the real deal.

Bonus: it's free until you get a job, all you have to do is put some effort and work into it and you're all set.

• Leonard Kanyesigye  User Photo
    Leonard Kanyesigye • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I got to know about Microverse at the perfect moment in my life. I had basic knowledge about programming, but I wanted to be even better so I could get a job in the field.

I had bought 4 or 5 courses on Udemy to learn how to program, but procrastination and other distractions made me feel like I would never learn.

Quitting my job as a sales personnel to join the full-time program at Microverse has been the best decision I have made this year (2019). I have learned a lot of technical skills and improved many of my soft skills.

Now, whenever I feel like I'm procrastinating, I remember that I have a partner and several other students counting on me. That has helped me tremendously in my learning. I can't wait to get my first job.
  • Cristian Ines Hernandez Aldana  User Photo
    Cristian Ines Hernandez Aldana • Engineer of Computer Systems with Speciality in Software Engineer • Student Verified via GitHub

I'm graduated from Engineer of computer Systems with specialty in Software Engineer in Mexico, before i enter to microverse and spend a lot of time searching actively for a software engineer position. But in my city is not the best option from do that.
    Thanks to microverse i learned a lot about real world projects with the web development program, and i think the best way to learn to code eficently is with pair program.
    Microverse have a lot of benefits to join and one of the best is the stipend to mexican students !!, if you can learn witouth worries from simple things like familiar support, you can aproach it and focus on your coding projects.
    I'll recomende  microverse if you want  to be a remote software developer with best practices and a fluent english !!