metis-logo

Metis

Chicago, Chicago, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Metis

Metis offers data science training via 12-week full-time immersive bootcamps, part-time online bootcamp prep courses, and corporate training programs, with campuses in Chicago, New York, San Francisco, and Seattle. The Metis Data Science Bootcamp is designed and taught by industry practitioners and covers Python, Bash, algorithms, linear regression, machine learning, NLP, databases, and interactive data visualization. Graduates will be comfortable designing, implementing, and communicating the results of a data science project, will grasp the fundamentals of data visualization, and will get exposure to modern big data tools and architecture such as Hadoop, Hive, and Spark. The data science curriculum is delivered through project-based, hands-on, collaborative learning and Metis provides students with on-site instruction, and access to speakers, mentors, events, and job support.

To apply for the Metis Data Science Bootcamp, applicants need to have experience with programming and statistics, and complete 25 hours of academic pre-work. Metis offers a free, self-paced Admissions Prep course for those who need to brush up on their linear algebra, calculus, probability, statistics, and Python skills. Metis is looking for students eager to get their hands dirty by learning new technologies and solving real-life problems, and who have the skills needed to secure entry-level jobs in the Data Science field. Metis is authorized to enroll international students with M-1 visas across all U.S. campuses, which allow non-U.S. students to attend technical and vocational programs. International students who are already in the U.S. on an F-1 visa may also transfer to Metis. Veterans may apply to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill® to develop their data science skills at the New York City bootcamp.

Graduates leave fully qualified for data scientist jobs, with placement programs available. Students receive mock interview training, visit company offices, present their projects to employers at Career Day, and have access to an extensive network of speakers, mentors, events, and ongoing career coaching and job placement support.

Recent Metis Reviews: Rating 4.89

all (87) reviews for Metis →

Recent Metis News

Read all (40) articles about Metis →
  • Beginner Python and Math for Data Science

Data Science, Python
    October 21, 2019
    $750
    Considering applying to our Data Science Bootcamp but need to build or brush up on your basic skills first? Our Beginner Python & Math for Data Science course was designed for you, the beginner looking for an introduction to the building blocks essential to developing data science skills or forging a new career in the field. This course sets you on the right track, covering everything you’ll encounter during the bootcamp application process. You’ll learn: Basics of Python programming Common Python libraries: NumPy, Pandas, Matplotlib Foundations of linear algebra, calculus, probability and statistics Please note, the cost of Beginner Python & Math for Data Science can be applied to the cost of the bootcamp once you apply. We welcome all students looking to brush up on data science basics, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Beginner Python & Math for Data Science, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries.
    Absolute Beginner
    October 21, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 21, 2019
    January 13, 2020 - OnlineApply by January 13, 2020
  • Data Science Bootcamp

January 6, 2020
    New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle, Online
    Metis's 12-week accredited data science bootcamp is an immersive program designed to give you the skills and connections you need to launch a career in data science. Career Advisors are dedicated to helping students and grads get hired, while Sr. Data Scientists bring real-world experience to the classroom and guide students as they use real data to build a 5-project portfolio. Each project is a start-to-finish application of the skills needed to be a well-rounded, competitive practitioner in the data science workforce. Each highlights the skills needed in every “facet” of data science: project design, data acquisition and storage, tool selection, analysis, interpretation, and communication. In succession, the projects deepen in both difficulty and independence. Upon graduating, students have completed rigorous training in machine learning, programming in multiple languages (Python, Unix, JavaScript), data wrangling, project design, and communication of results for integration in a business environment. Parallel to this core classroom work is a supporting careers curriculum created and implemented by our Careers Team, which works with each student to secure employment rapidly after graduation with a compatible employer. Our grads go on to work at some of the top companies in their respective markets, including but not limited to Capital One, Facebook, GrubHub, Starbucks, Spotify, NBA and more. We're proud to help our grads land their dream job in data science and our grads are proud to be #MadeAtMetis. Make sure to visit our website and testimonials page to read more. Welcome to Metis!
    We partner with Skills Fund, an innovative financing company that offers financing options for students accepted to our bootcamp. Visit our website to learn more.
    We offer a $3,000 scholarship for women, members of underrepresented groups, the LGBTQ community, or veterans of U.S. military personnel. Visit our website to learn more.
    Some experience with programming and statistics.
    Once students are enrolled in the bootcamp, they are granted immediate access to our prework materials, a structured program of 25 hours of academic pre-work and up to 35 hours of set-up is designed to get admitted students warmed up and ready to go.
    January 6, 2020 - SeattleApply by December 2, 2019
  • Introduction to Data Science

Data Science, Git, Python, Machine Learning
    January 23, 2020
    $750
    This course takes you one step closer to becoming a data scientist by offering a subset of the topics covered in our Data Science Bootcamp. You’ll get a well-rounded intro to the core concepts and technologies taught within the bootcamp, including basic machine learning principles and hands-on coding experience. Plus, you’ll put it all to practice through a mini data science project of your own. We’ll cover the following: Data acquisition, cleaning, and aggregation Exploratory data analysis and visualization Feature engineering Model creation and validation Basic statistical and mathematical foundations for data science We welcome all students looking to brush up on data science basics, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Introduction to Data Science, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries.
    Students should have some familiarity with basic statistical and linear algebraic concepts. In Python, it will be helpful to know basic data structures.
    January 23, 2020 - OnlineApply by January 23, 2020

• Anonymous • Data Scientist • Graduate

I attended the data science bootcamp at Metis in summer 2017. I was from a very different major gearing towards learning more on data analytics, thus in transition of career direction and expertise field at that time. Attending Metis has played a key role in terms of providing me very proactive education to accomplish the transition in such a short period of time. I truly learned a lot in many aspects from the education itself, how to really go out there and interact in the data science society/community, and last but not least how to efficiently present myself to the job market. I'd humbly like to say that I'm glad I decided to learn from Metis, which I believe ultimately made me able to currently work as a data scientist in the competitive industry.

• Matthew Lee  User Photo
    Matthew Lee • Data Scientist Teaching Assistant • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

If you are considering a bootcamp option for your career trainsition into data science, some will tell you not to waste your money since there are many free courses online. And yes, this is true if what you are looking for is just learning data science/machine learning concepts and become one of big pile of lackluster data scientice practitioners.

However, what you WILL get out of data science bootcamp is not just learning about concepts, but being a true data scientist who thinks and acts like one. Through rigorous and well-structured curriculum, you will be comfortable breathing data science and be employable upon your graduation. You will learn how to complete end-to-end projects that employers love to talk to you about.

For me, career support and giant network of Metis alumni was what sold me to Metis. You will work with career advisors throughout the bootcamp and after bootcamp until you land a job, and their support has been best in class and superb. Career advisors showed true passion and interest in my success. Also, because all graduates from Metis are phenomenal and employed in top companies, they are essentially branding for you.

To be honest, I was a little skeptical of how much I will get out of bootcamp, but now I can tell you with confidence that you will get so much out of it.

• Jarvin  User Photo
    Jarvin • Data Scientist • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

No, seriously.

This one is amazing. If you can get yourself to the location, you will not regret spending your money here at all. The instructors are extremely knowledgable about the subject matter. The curriculum is great. The tutors are super helpful, and the culture developed here really helps you and your classmates succeed.

DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE OF NOT GOING HERE!!

• Data Scientist
    - 10/1/2019
    Aisulu   User Photo
    Aisulu • Data Scientist • Verified via LinkedIn

I recently graduated from Data Science full-time Bootcamp. The Bootcamp opened my eyes to learning what is state of the art of Machine Learning and Deep Learning. I had a great experience with career coaches and instructors. Everyone deeply cares about the student's learning experience. I gained a good understanding of stats and all the machine learning models. I graduated two weeks ago and I got three requests for on-site interviews. Definitely open a lot of doors for me. It is sad that they are closing Seattle Metis office. Everyone there did a tremendious job.

• Scott  User Photo
    Scott • Data Scientist, Computer Vision Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The Decision

Deciding to transition my career from mechanical engineering and robotics to pursue data science was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made. Attending Metis made that process worlds easier than it could have been, however, and I haven't regretted it for a second.

Research

Before enrolling in Metis, I spent months considering all of the options available to me. I researched other local data science bootcamps like Galvanize and General Assembly, as well as online platforms like DataCamp, Dataquest, Udemy, Udacity, and others. I studied, I toured campuses and talked with instructors, career advisors, current and former data science students. I did my best to weigh all the options and make an informed decision, and the process led me to select Metis as the best option available to me to help me successfully transition from where I'd been to where I wanted to be.

Preparation

For personal reasons, I actually deferred starting at Metis by about 6 months after I applied, and in the grand scheme I'm glad that I did. Metis allows students enrolled in the full time data science immersive program to also take a part time online course of their choice for free, so during those 6 months I also took their Statistics for Data Scientists course, which was a great warm up for the challenges to come. I also used this time to complete the Data Scientist curriculum offered by dataquest.io, which I found to be an overall well designed and nicely presented overview of just about every topic that's covered by the Metis DS immersive (this took me about 5 months to complete, dedicating ~10 hours a week to the study on nights and weekends). This was a lot of upfront work, but quitting my job to move off in an uncertain direction seemed like a big risk so I took it seriously. This allowed me to gain a nice foundation of knowledge to build off of while still saving up for an extended period of unemployment, and definitely paid dividends once the bootcamp started.

To anybody thinking about enrolling in a DS bootcamp down the line, I strongly recommend completing an online course first, both to make sure you actually like the work and also to familiarize yourself with the content so you'll be even more successful in the bootcamp experience.

The Bootcamp

The Metis Data Science Immersive was great. My cohort had a particularly small class size, only 6 students with 2 full time instructors, 2 occasional visiting instructors, and a very talented and dedicated career advisor. The staff exceeded my expectations on a regular basis. They're knowledgeable about a wide range of material and are passionate about teaching their students the skills they'll need to succeed. The program is specific to data science, but designed to be flexible enough to approachable and valuable to students coming from a wide range of backgrounds and abilities. The material is taught with a nice combination of theoretical background and practical application, and the project-based nature of the course really makes the level of challenge a function of the student's appetite and ambition. Each project is as hard as you want it to be, you get out what you put in, and your peers and the instructors are there to help and support you every step of the way.

In terms of the level of challenge--everybody's experience and background are different, so I can only speak for myself--for me, it was challenging, but manageable. More than anything, it was intense. For the 12 weeks that the course lasted, I largely put the rest of my life on hold and worked ~80 hours/week on my projects and the curriculum. I was still able to maintain at least 6 hours of sleep most nights, but I was definitely dreaming about my work. The bootcamp was an endurance marathon, for sure. Not quite as bad as the worst parts of college, but close.

But then it ended and I was on the other side. Not only had I shored up my working knowledge of supervised and unsupervised learning, Pandas and scikit-learn, the difference between CNNs and RNNs and LSTMs and more, how to detect overfitting or design a metric or select a model, how to scrape data from the web or deploy a model in a web app--I'd actually done all of these things, and had full projects complete with code, presentations, and blog posts forming a highly visible portfolio that I could use to demonstrate to future employers that I actually know how to do the things on my resume.

What Comes After

The bootcamp is only 12 weeks, and much as it's all you can focus on while you're there, it's the means, not the end. I still had to get a job. While I'd saved up enough beforehand to survive an extended job search, I didn't actually want to drain my savings, so I jumped right in. I set a goal of starting a new job within 3 months of finishing the bootcamp and thought about what it would take to get there. I'd heard it was common for it to take 4-6 weeks or more from application to offer, and the common impression I got from talking to bootcamp grads is that you may well end up submitting dozens or even hundreds of applications before you actually get an offer. In short, finding the right fit is a full time job, and even getting your foot in the door enough to have a conversation with a potential employer takes intention, persistence, and a bit of creativity.

Here, however, is where Metis shines as well. The career counselor, Marybeth, as well as the instructors, were involved and supportive every step of the way, constantly checking in and offering help with everything from resume and cover letter reviews to practice interviews to job referrals and facilitating introductions. As long as you're willing to work, they're willing to help. I took advantage of all of these things and I think they paid off. I aimed to apply to 10 new jobs per week, and though I fell short of that goal, aiming high kept me active. It was slow getting traction, but eventually the pace picked up and I found myself juggling calls with recruiters, scheduling interviews, and having to meticulously track each job application in a spreadsheet to keep it all in order.

I feel fortunate to say that, somehow, my job hunt went pretty much exactly according to plan. 7 weeks after finishing at Metis, I accepted a job offer as a data scientist with a focus in computer vision. I'm genuinely excited about both the work and the company, and the skills and support I got from Metis were instrumental in getting me here. Huge thanks to everybody at Metis for all of the help, and best of luck to everybody out there considering a path like this for yourself!

• Kari  User Photo
    Kari • Machine Learning Scientist • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Last year I felt totally stuck in my job, sitting at my computer reading review after review of data science bootcamps. I had a math and stats background, but no real programming knowledge/experience and really needed a sign that this was the right path for me. If this is you, LET ME BE YOUR SIGN.

Metis was truly one of the best decisions I have made for myself and my career. Sure, I could have learned all of the material on my own outside of a bootcamp, but I am the type of person who needs structure, deadlines, and accountability and Metis gave me exactly that. But they didn't stop there! They brought me a huge network of like-minded people with varying backgrounds in a collaborative and supportive learning environment.

The bootcamp was by no means easy, I definitely spent some late nights/weekends working on projects and reviewing material, but if you put in the effort you will learn a ton. I spent several months before the bootcamp not sure if I was ready/qualified to apply. I think the most valuable prep for me was the part time Intro to Data Science course offered by Metis which not only gave a good glimpse into the bootcamp material, but also gave me the confidence to apply right after (and the class is basically free because the cost gets applied to the bootcamp!)

The projects at Metis totally revamped my resume and the career support was extremely helpful. After bootcamp, they connected me with several interview leads specific to my interestes and qualifications.

Overall, if you're looking to get familiar with different ML algorithms and gain lots of Data Science job applicable skills quickly, I definitely recommend applying to Metis!

• Go for it!
    - 8/5/2019
    Dan  User Photo
    Dan • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Metis was life-changing and worth every penny. Great course materials on everything from absolute basics to current state-of-the-art machine learning. Committed Instructors who really care about teaching and helping you succeed. Super smart classmates to collaborate and learn with. Tons of presentation practice opportunities which helps boost confidence. Career support from a million different angles, like networking events, technical mock interviews, resume workshops, and guest speakers. At the end of the day you get out of it what you put in, but if you're willing to work hard, and you have the aptitude for the topics on their entrance exam, Metis gives you everything you need and more to land your first job as a Data Scientist. It's certainly possible to achieve this in other cheaper ways, but with Metis you can be confident you're staying on track, staying motivated, and covering all your bases in one intense, neatly packaged 12-week sprint.

• Aaron  User Photo
    Aaron • Data scientist • Student Verified via GitHub

I had a great experience with Metis. I was looking for a fast-paced, in-person way to transition from a job in survey research and data analysis to a more coding- and ML-focused data science career, and it absolutely delivered. It was also a ton of fun!

Pros:

• Amazing instructors. They know both the theory and the practice of the material they're teaching, and they were always happy to help me work through some weird problem or just figure out what to do next.
    • I loved the project-based curriculum, where I had to do everything yourself: pick a topic, find the data, plan everything out, build a model, make it better, figure out how to present it. I could work on stuff that actually interested me and I had real ownership of the product. At the end of the program I had a real portfolio of stuff I was proud of, not just a list of skills.
    • Focus on presenting. Two to three weeks of project work needs to be condensed into a four-minute presentation, which is tough! At the beginning of the program I thought I hated presenting slide decks, but after five chances to get better at it, I actually really enjoy it.
    • Excellent career support - LinkedIn and resume workshops, mock interviews and whiteboarding practice, great alumni network, and unlimited post-graduation support. They really, really want you to get a job. (I received and accepted a great offer exactly a month after graduating, from a company that saw me present at Career Night.)
    • The challenging application process means that all of my peers were very smart cookies. I learned a lot just from finding out what other students were doing.
    • Tons of extra material available if you want to dive deeper into any particular topic that interests you.

Cons:

• The rapid pace means that all of my projects felt (to me, at least) a little unfinished - there was always some more I wanted to do, but the presentation deadline always hit so fast! I feel like I could have done one less project if it meant more time to work on the others.
    • The focus on preparing for a job means that some interesting topics aren't covered in as much depth. For example, you'll learn the basic theory of deep learning and neural networks, but they don't spend that much time on it, because companies don't really hire boot camp grads to build deep learning systems.
    • The curriculum is constantly under development (which is good!), but that meant that there were occasional inconsistencies, like programming challenges that didn't always exactly relate to what we were covering that week.
  • High recommend!
    - 7/27/2019
    Katie  User Photo
    Katie • data scientist • Verified via LinkedIn
    I came to Metis with a master's in Stats and a background in financial services. I keep taking self-paced online courses in data science and analytics since 2018. I found those courses helpful but not enough to help grow career from data analyst to data scientist, so I was looking for in-person and intensive training in data science. My friend recommended Metis to me. As a mother of two little ones, I was not sure if I could handle Metis's fast-paced bootcamp. But I actually did it and Metis is one of the best experiences in my life. I highly recommend Metis if you are shopping data science training to make a career change!

Knowledgeable Instructors: I was at Chicago bootcamp. My instructors Lara and John are very knowledgeable with rich industry experience and deep understanding of theories. I like the way they instruct data science in a clear and practical way. They are always patient and super helpful.

Well-Structured Curriculum: I enjoy the project-based curriculum which prepares us exactly for what we would do at a data scientist role. We practiced pair programming on a daily basis. We also had weekly coding challenges.

Interesting Projects: I did 5 projects at Metis. Those projects cover regression, classification, clustering, NLP, and time series analysis. All the projects were done in two/three weeks, which means you need to push yourself hard and dive into the machine learning algorithms.

Presentation and Communication Training: I am not a native speaker. My English proficiency is limited and my communication skill has plenty of room to improve. I did presentation for each of my projects. My instructors and advisor gave me invaluable advice on presentation and communication!

Career Support: Metis's career support is amazing. My career advisor Ashley is super helpful! She gave me tons of suggestions and help with resume, cover letter, job hunting strategy, connection with recruiters and alumni, interview skills, post-graduation 1 on 1, etc.

Cohort Peers: Cohort peers are smart and from different background. It's a really good experience to know so many interesting people who have same passion in data science. I enjoy the collaborative environment at Metis. We helped each other out with problems and we keep in touch after graduation.

In short, I would say Metis is a life changing experience to me. High recommend!

• Dave  User Photo
    Dave • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I came to Metis Chicago with a degree in Economics, and several years of work experience in financial services and public sector analytics. I was running into problems at work where I knew there was a way to create models that would give us robust answers and to program sturdy solutions, but I simply didn't know how. I did the bootcamp to learn exactly that- how to use modeling techniques to answer real world questions, and to get much better at programming. I dramatically expanded my knowledge of statistics, modeling, and machine learning, and became a much better programmer. I'm surprised at how much I learned in 3 months. The strong emphasis on real world and business applications of these skills was indispensable, as was the emphasis on communicating my results through visualizations and presentations.

I recommend Metis to anyone who wants to pursue data science and analytics as a career. You actually gain enough knowledge and experience to move your career forward, or to pivot in that direction. The material is fantastic, it's clear that a lot of thought and effort has gone into not only producing it, but revising it to improve it, and curating it to keep it up to date. The instructors are brilliant, they're actual practitioners of the material, and they're excited to have you learn it too. The staff is wonderful, they make the bootcamp an enjoyable place to spend three months, and the career services support is way better than anything your college pretended to give you- it's personal, thorough, ongoing, and effective.

As with everything, you get out what you put in, but there's ample material to strive and learn a lot, and the instructors are supportive and available to help you learn as much as you're willing to. It's not easy, and it shouldn't be- if it were, you wouldn't be learning anything. It takes a significant amount of time and effort, but the payoff is worth it.

• Data Scientist
    - 7/25/2019
    Jake  User Photo
    Jake • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I came to Metis with a background in academic research and a graduate degree in biological sciences. Throughout my time as a graduate student I found several use cases for programming and using statistical modeling techniques for ongoing research projects but decided to pursue Metis with the hopes of expanding my knowledge of applying data science in real world business settings. Metis was instrumental in enabling me to drastically improve my statistical modeling and machine learning capabilities in addition to becoming well versed in deriving viable solutions to complex business problems. Furthermore, the emphasis of being able to communicate results in front of both technical and non-technical audiences was incredibly helpful for my development as a data scientist.

I would highly recommend Metis to anyone interested in pursuing data science as a career.  The instructors are phenomenal and will provide you with all the tools and resources necessary for your success. The bootcamp was a significant time investment but was well worth the effort so long as you are willing to put in the time required to learn new concepts. All staff and instructors at Metis are fully committed to your success and I couldn't think of a better environment to kickstart your career as a data scientist.

• Keith  User Photo
    Keith • Data Scientist - Consultant • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I came to Metis from a very nontraditional background. I received my bachelor's from a conservatory in New York City, where I studied classical French Horn performance. While there, I had every intention of continuing to play music professionally.

I decided to do Metis for several reasons. After graduating, I spent several years in a variety of positions mostly related to project management and business operations but was looking to get into more analytical/technical professions. I was taking courses on Udacity and Udemy for about a year; while I found those courses helpful and informative, but they were not enough on their own to facilitate a career transition.

I learned about Metis from a close friend of mine who attended. It was a highly transformative experience for him, and he was able to secure a position at a startup where he actually started and is now building the data science team.

Like anything in life, you'll get out of it what you put into it. One thing that makes Metis so great is the community that you join. Some of my closest friends are students that attended my cohort (and even previous and subsequent cohorts). We all helped each other through the challenges that we faced throughout the bootcamp. We learned as much from the instructors as we did from each other by working through our problems together. (Always be willing to ask questions!!!).

While it would be possible for me to (more or less) learn this material on my own, I would not have been to do so as quickly and comprehensively. That said, even if I learned this all on my own, there's no way that I could have achieved the same level of confidence, not without being surrounded by the great instructors, staff, and peers that Metis provides. During the bootcamp, you'll get a clear idea of where the bar is and what you need to do to reach it.

The career counseling was also highly beneficial. They are very honest about the career options you should expect upon completing the bootcamp, and they do their best to connect you with hiring managers and representatives where your unique skills and background will be appreciated.

Without any technical degrees or relevant experience, I was told to expect the possibility of a data analyst position and not a data science position. I had about a 50-50 split in terms of the interviews I was getting between data scientist and analyst positions. Three months after completing the bootcamp, I received two offers from leads generated through the Metis career counselor. One as a Senior Data Analyst and the other as a Data Scientist. I accepted the offer as a Data Scientist.

• Daniel  User Photo
    Daniel • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I came into the Metis Data Science Bootcamp from a non-STEM background. Undergrad was in History, and grad school was in Architecture/Design. I choose Metis over other options because of the independent project work. It was important to me to work through structuring a project from start to finish, and for the finished products to represent the kind of work I wanted to do in the future. The project-based work resulted in a strong portfolio of projects that transitioned easily into demonstrative work for job interviews and networking.

Metis exposed students to a wide range of concepts, ideas, and strategies during the in-class content. For our own projects, we had freedom to work within certain frameworks to dive deeper into topics or strategies we found more interesting. For the final project, we had a blank canvas to execute a project of our own creation. The synthesis of all the bootcamp's learnings with our own interests was deeply rewarding and genuinely exciting. For a cohort that shared a common set of in-class experiences, the individual project-based work and final project created substantial diversity and differentiated expertise within the student body.

In general, the course and project work exceeded my expectations. Another dimension I could not have predicted was the positive and supportive social dynamic within the cohort.

I received my first data scientist job offer two months after the bootcamp ended through a lead generated by Metis, and the offer I accepted occurred 6 months after the bootcamp through a lead I generated on my own.

• Life changing
    - 5/29/2019
    Aaron Gittleman  User Photo
    Aaron Gittleman • Machine Learning Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

If you are here shopping around for a data science bootcamp to launch your new career path, you can stop here. My experience at Metis allowed me to make a massive career change in a surprisingly short time frame, with very little prior experience. In this program, you'll learn from a team of incredibly smart and skilled data scientists who will always go the extra mile to help you understand the dense material. You'll also be in the good hands of a very knowledgeable and effective career support team. To put it simply, if you put in the work, they will make you a highly sought after D.S. candidate in 12 weeks.

Aside from the staff, you'll also learn a lot from your classmates. Cohorts are comprised of smart people with a wide range of backgrounds and expertise who are willing to help each other.

The projects that you complete during this course provide you with an impressive portfolio to showcase during your job search, and the materials taught during the course are exactly what companies are hiring for. If you are motivated to start a new career and ready to put in hard work for it, I can't recommend this enough.

• Tim Vogel  User Photo
    Tim Vogel • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

In short, Metis is a fantastic opportunity. I was blown away by the amount of information the faculty was able to teach just 12-weeks. I come from a science background and was delighted by the instructors' willingness to help with what is very challenging material. On top of the incredible teaching staff, Metis also provides you with stellar careeer-support and guidance for navigating life post-grad, and ultimately landing your dream job. If you have the opportunity to participate in this bootcamp, don't pass it up!

• Patrick  User Photo
    Patrick • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I chose Metis because of its accreditation and encouraging reviews and I'm glad I did. Although it was probably the most challenging thing I've ever done, I was also having fun in the process and came in everyday eager to learn more. Not only did the bootcamp equip me with the necessary programming skills I needed to transition to a more technical career, I also built incredible work ethic in the process and befriended and connected with many other intelligent, driven students in the collaborative environment.

My instructors at Metis were very knowledgable and were great at communicating the data science concepts and machine learning algorithms. At the same time, they were patient enough to answer our many questions. The schedule and curriculum was well-rounded and we were trained to be better presenters and communicators with our 5 data science projects/presentations that were due during the course. I couldn't be happier with my decision to attend Metis and I would highly recommend it to anyone who's looking to get into this field.

• Transformative
    - 5/3/2019
    Marc Kelechava  User Photo
    Marc Kelechava • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I can't imagine a more well-structured 3-month program to prepare students for the current Data Scientist job market. The type of work covered in independent projects, the statistical inference/ML curriculum, and daily programming challenges are exactly what companies (in SF at least) are testing for in Data Science positions today. While the post-graduation interview process is difficult, I think in every interview I went on I used some piece of knowledge I picked up at Metis, and heavily credit the program with job placement success.

One caveat is that the program is extraordinarily difficult in terms of expectations and depth/speed of material covered. If you have any meaningful time commitments that can't be put on the backburner for 3 months, I would caution that the program requires near total-focus (this certainly varies per-student, but at least for me, this included heavy night and weekend work over the 3 months). That being said, I'd probably never been as excited to approach each day, and made enormous strides in technical capabilities because of it.

Our cohort was particularly close-knit, and most of us still are in constant contact most days despite the program's completion. This for me was probably even more valuable than the technical content, as it provided a strong network of other people breaking into DS that I'd image will remain invaluable for years.

Career Support after in SF was impressive as well. I ended up going with a company I found independently, but Career Support provided me with at least 20% of my strong leads during the job search.

If you feel compelled to break into the field and are looking to accelerate very rapidly, do this now.

• Spencer Tollefson  User Photo
    Spencer Tollefson • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Metis isn't for the faint of heart. What this program is NOT: an easy, magical path to coast through for 12 weeks to land a data science position. What this program IS: a well structured, intense immersive that can lead you to your goals when doubled with appropriate effort.

My background is from business school. I worked as a Tax accountant CPA, then management consultant for finance related projects, and then as a community economic development volunteer in the Peace Corps. Hard skills such as programming, statistics, or any kind of science were not my forte - but rather I'd developed experience in problem solving and communication skills more than anything. However, one fascinating part of Metis was the diversity of backgrounds among my cohort - and the ability for many people to succeed in the program.

I strongly encourage any potential applicant to be thorough in their preparation and vetting process. If you are able to pass the entrance exam for Metis, and know why you believe the program will help you achieve your goals, then I would highly recommend it ensuring you have the discipline and time to focus on this for 12 weeks.

For my anecdotal experience, Metis was fantastic. I chalk a lot of that up to having done substantial thinking in deciding why I wanted to do a data science bootcamp and how it would help me make the career transition from accountant/consultant to data scientist.

So why Metis then?

• I found the instructors extremely knowledgeable and accessible
    • My cohort peers were intelligent, engaging, and had diverse backgrounds. I think a large part of that is the Metis admittance process
    • Dedicated career support (Marybeth in Seattle) was quite helpful in navigating and structuring the job hunt process
    • The 5 project structure of the program was invaluable. In many of my job interviews I found being able to talk about how I did 5 projects - 4 entirely solo and which included gathering my own data - a huge asset

Additionally, the physical space was perfectly adequate and not run down like I've heard rumors of some other bootcamps. There clearly is support after the bootcamp - but finding a job is not handed to you on a platter. In my personal case, I spent about 12 weeks job searching after the bootcamp as well. It paid off in the end, and I would have done Metis 10/10 times again, but don't expect a job to be handed to you afterward. The Metis presence in Seattle is smaller than some other bootcamps, but if you are willing to expand your job search outside Seattle I personally found Metis connections help me make headway in over 10 different job interviews.

The curriculum continues to bee updated and I'm glad to hear they spent some more time on time-series for the cohorts after my own.

In summary, I recommend Metis if you do the hard work in visualizing how the immersion will help you achieve your next goals. If you believe a data science bootcamp is the right step for you, and you're willing to put in the time and effort into the program, Metis is an excellent investment of your time and money. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

• Stephen Ilhardt  User Photo
    Stephen Ilhardt • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My background was in management consulting and I had some experience with data analysis, but the amount I learned here was unreal. I was really interested in machine learning and neural networks but found I was having trouble learning them on my own in an unstructured way. Metis was perfect for this and aligned with my preferred learning style really well. I learned everything I wanted to and then a whole lot more. They cover just about everything you'll come across as a data scientist in varying degrees of detail, but then set you up to learn so much more after you're done. I spent the weeks after I graduated reading and deepening my knowledge about all of the stuff I learned in Metis, and tutorials and research papers that would have been way over my head pre-Metis just didn't scare me anymore. It's really cool! The instructors were outstanding and could answer just about every question you'd throw at them, and then they went above and beyond to make sure you understood everything before moving on. Take advantage of that because they're all really knowledgeable and more than willing to help. I actually spent quite a bit of time learning things that interested me that weren't in the curriculum for my projects and they even had answers about that stuff too. I really think you'll get a lot out of this, but be prepared to put in the hours. The class goes from nine to five, but if you're willing to work nights and weekends and squeeze every bit of knowledge you can out of this then you'll be very impressed with what you know and can do by the end.

• Buckle up!
    - 3/27/2019
    Kendra  User Photo
    Kendra • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

If you are looking for an in-person, immersize Data Science bootcamp that will give you skills and confidence in this burgeoning field, you need look no further than Metis. The highlights:

• Passionate, intelligent, yet personable and caring staff
    • Applicable curriculum, a good balance of broad and deep
    • Bright, motivated, supportive peers
    • A true cheerleader in tne Career Support Advisor

I appreciated that there was a significant amount of "pre-work" recommended. This isn't a zero-to-hero bootcamp, and it shouldn't be. Everyone walks in with a baseline, so you can get more or less straight to work learning about Data Science. I enjoyed the project-based curriculum and believe it was a very effective way to teach new concepts. As you learn, you apply it. Instructors are highly available to assist with any questions or issues -- though they sometimes got monopolized by students seeking more help than others. They are incredibly patient, kind, and wise. Classmates were friendly and always willing to help -- it felt highly collaborative, and never overtly competitive. Metis puts forth a lot of effort to make it feel like a community and that each student is valued.

Beyond the Data Science, Metis teaches you *grit*: how to not give up, to find a way. *time management*: you don't have a lot of time for your projects -- so you learn how to time-block and set deadlines for yourself. *how to learn, and learn fast!*: don't know something? Google it. Find a book or a blog. Ask someone. Get creative. These are skills that will serve you well in The Real World.

My only quibble is that I was expecting a bit more from the Metis network in terms of finding a job. Perhaps the Seattle program is too new to have a vast expasne of alums armed with a trove of jobs, just waiting for us to graduate to bestow them upon us. Maybe I am just lazy and entitled. I should note that some alums were very involved and eager to help. Also, Marybeth, the career advisor, is an amazing resource. She is highly knowledgable -- and connected -- and is also always there for moral support. She'll help you structure your time post-bootcamp and negotiate that inevitable job offer.

• Marco Z  User Photo
    Marco Z • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I jumped at the chance to go back to the technical track of my career after spending far too long in technical management. My academic background has been in computer science and math, and I started professionally (a while ago) as a data dev and analyst.

Of the four or five data science immersives I researched, including the other two in-person full time programs in Seattle, Metis is the one that places more rigor and time in the data science aspect of the curriculum, as opposed to the data engineering side of it: data science first, the tools to do it second. Most other programs dedicate too much time to hashing over ETL and development best practices. Those are absolutely necessary in real-life data science positions (ask me about it over beer some time), but they should be a pre-requisite, as they are in Metis, in order to effectively immerse you in data science without distractions during the program.

That doesn't mean you end up being a stats nerd with no practical programming skills, on the contrary. The day starts with a programming brain teaser to fire up the neurons as the coffee kicks in, and the evening ends with you turning in a solid piece of working code that excercises the morning's data science theory and tools lecture.

I'm also always amazed at the quality of the people that make it into the program. From all walks of life, age groups and skill sets, but the common thread is that they have the intuition for data science, plus the drive to learn and do what needs to be done to master it.

And the people working for Metis are also top-notch: skilled, knowledgable, good instructors, administrators, and boosters for the data science professions in the business econsystem.

• LeeRyan Solomon  User Photo
    LeeRyan Solomon • Data Scientist • Student Verified via LinkedIn

This Bootcamp has been one of the most rewarding experience. I got to learn alot and was introduced to so many new techniques regarding Data Science.

I had the pleasure to learn from Alice Zhao and Lara Katten. Both instructors are knowledgeable and are helpful through out the 12 weeks. Both of them are super humble for how much they know. They are perfect compliments.

The best analogy descibing this Bootcamp would be, say there are about 50 different doors where each door pertains to different topics in Data Science (e.g. Git, Data Viz, NoSQL, SQL, Supervised Learning, Unsupercised Learing etc). METIS opens these doors for you and helps you take the first step on the other side, then it is up to you to choose the topics you want to delve deeper into.

If you are thinking of making a career change to Data Science, please consider METIS Bootcamp. It will save you a lot of time and money.

P.S. Everybody has their own interpretation of ratings. Please note I never give a perfect rating, for me a four star is a very high rating.

• Data Science Fellow
    - 10/31/2018
    Rachel Zhang  User Photo
    Rachel Zhang • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Instructors at Metis are very experienced, willing to help with project questions and discuss ideas all the time.

The staff are super nice and helpful as well.

Great overall experience for data science training!

• Winnie  User Photo
    Winnie • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Metis turned me into a Data Scientist! I worked as a business analyst for about two years and had some exposure to analytics. But I lacked hands-on experience and a good understanding of machine learning. I tried to change my career path on my own but didn't have much luck. Trying to self-teach and rebrand, all on my own, was daunting and very stressful. I'm really glad that I found Metis and decided to commit to it.

Yes, you might be able to find all the materials online and learn everything on your own. But what makes Metis such a good experience is the instructors and career advisors. They really do care about your success! The instructors are not only good at explaining concepts but also have a lot of industry experience. I learned a lot about how to approach projects and design metrics from all the discussions I had with my instructors.

The bootcamp itself is tough and the job search after graduation is not any easier. Metis offers a lot of coaching and support to help me get to where I am today. Also, going through the job search process with my classmates provided a very crucial support network, and made it much easier to stick with it. I got multiple interviews through alumni referral and eventually landed a role through one of these referrals. The Metis community is incredible and I know it will be there to help me navigate through any challenges I have in my career.

• Chintan  User Photo
    Chintan • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I joined Metis after reading reviews on websites such as this (Coursereport), and after attending one of their Meetups. In spite of all the 4-5 star reviews that I had seen, Metis beat all my expectations! Let me elaborate.

I earned my PhD in Experimental Chemistry at the University of Chicago. While my research was somewhat computational in nature, I was not well-equipped to get started with a career in Data Science. If you're from academia, you have to understand that universities have no interest or incentive to prepare their cheap-labor postdocs for real jobs. In spite of having science PhDs, half of my colleagues in academia weren't able to find a single job whatsoever, and some were already past their 5th year as postdoc (we're talking Physics, Chemistry, Math PhDs). Metis was instrumental in equipping me with all of the industry-relevant skills in a very short amount of time. They were also great with demonstrating the utility of ML/AI and the potential impact that it is likely to create in the next few decades or so. While one can technically learn all of this material by oneself, it would take at least a 9 months even if you did it full-time. It would take you multiple years if you tried learning all of it while doing some job or postdoc, which is why most postdocs can't make that transition by themselves.

Alice Zhao and Roberto Reif were both great instructors with many years of industry experience. I miss the energy from our instructors and cohort. Three weeks into the bootcamp, I remember a few of us discussing about how good the bootcamp was. Fast forward 6 months, and most of us who were looking for a job have found one. Having an advanced degree helps, but not having one is completely okay. I now work for a firm called Soothsayer Analytics (with Microsoft as end-client).

My only minor complaint from the bootcamp is that it doesn't delve too much into SQL or Time-Series Analysis, and a lot of companies like Facebook or Expedia make you go through really tricky SQL questions.

• Carlie  User Photo
    Carlie • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

TL;DR: Metis was amazing. The instructors set the tone for excitement, grit, intelligence, and success. The projects were invaluable experiences for learning so many data science skills and for using as examples of work in interviews/applications. The curriculum is as close to real-world experience as a bootcamp can get. A+ to Metis

I found Metis after several months of knowing I needed a career change and searching for the right way to jumpstart my return to tech after two years of completely unrelated work. I graduated undergrad as a mechanical engineer, worked as a research engineer, but then took a hiatus after moving to Seattle and worked as an assistant manager at a restaurant. I learned about data science through friends already working in tech in Seattle and realized I already had some of the skills from mechanical engineering and working in research, but I didn't have any recent relevant experience that would allow me to get a job anywhere. That's when I found Metis. I compared it against a couple other bootcamps, but honestly there was no comparison. Metis was an actual data science bootcamp - not just a coding bootcamp. Metis promised instructors with real-world experience and work-life balance. Metis promised a portfolio of work based on five data science projects compelted during the bootcamp. Metis was accreditted. And Metis was small, but already had excited students and a reputation for being hands-on, real-world-reflecting, and full of direct career support.

I was not disappointed. The application process was challenging, but appropriately so. My engineering background provided me with the proper math and thinking skills and I was accepted into the winter cohort of 2017. Then I had to complete the prework before starting in September; that was also very challenging, but totally necessary and I highly encourage you to do the prework if you want to do well. I had no prior programming experience other than Matlab, but I was able to teach myself enough Python in the month before starting to be completely capable during the bootcamp. That leads to another piece of advice: you get out of Metis what you put in. In other words, Metis is good for you if you're willing to put in the effort and the hours and learn a ton.

My final note, regarding my Metis experience, would be that the people made it what it is. The instructors were amazing; so intelligent, so in touch with real-world data science, so excited to be there and teach and guide, and just so overall great people. The rest of the cohort was amazing too; the application process and just the type of people Metis attracts includes only intelligent, passionate, and driven people. This was what drove the learning environment and what truly helped me get excited, challenge myself, and succeed.

For those of you interested in where you could end up: I am now a data scientist at a tech consulting company in Redmond. Because of my more recent graduation date, lack of an advanced degree, and minimal relevant paid experience, I began my role as an intern at the company. Do not let this deter you; the internship was invaluable especially after a particularly grueling application period (where I was applying to almost five companies each day for several months). I learned a ton during the internship and it was an opportunity to take risks in a lower pressure environment.