metis-logo

Metis

Chicago, Chicago, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Metis

Metis offers data science training via 12-week full-time immersive bootcamps, part-time online bootcamp prep courses, and corporate training programs, with campuses in Chicago, New York, San Francisco, and Live Online. The Metis Data Science Bootcamp is designed and taught by industry practitioners and covers Python, Bash, algorithms, linear regression, machine learning, NLP, databases, and interactive data visualization. Graduates will be comfortable designing, implementing, and communicating the results of a data science project, will grasp the fundamentals of data visualization, and will get exposure to modern big data tools and architecture such as Hadoop, Hive, and Spark. The data science curriculum is delivered through project-based, hands-on, collaborative learning and Metis provides students with on-site instruction, and access to speakers, mentors, events, and job support.

To apply for the Metis Data Science Bootcamp, applicants need to have experience with programming and statistics, and complete 25 hours of academic pre-work. Metis offers a free, self-paced Admissions Prep course for those who need to brush up on their linear algebra, calculus, probability, statistics, and Python skills. Metis is looking for students eager to get their hands dirty by learning new technologies and solving real-life problems, and who have the skills needed to secure entry-level jobs in the Data Science field. Metis is authorized to enroll international students with M-1 visas across all U.S. campuses, which allow non-U.S. students to attend technical and vocational programs. International students who are already in the U.S. on an F-1 visa may also transfer to Metis. Veterans may apply to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill® to develop their data science skills at the New York City bootcamp.

Graduates leave fully qualified for data scientist jobs, with placement programs available. Students receive mock interview training, visit company offices, present their projects to employers at Career Day, and have access to an extensive network of speakers, mentors, events, and ongoing career coaching and job placement support.

Recent Metis Reviews: Rating 4.88

all (111) reviews for Metis →

Recent Metis News

Read all (48) articles about Metis →
  • Beginner Python and Math for Data Science

Data Science, Python
    Start Date August 24, 2020
    Considering applying to our Data Science Bootcamp but need to build or brush up on your basic skills first? Our Beginner Python & Math for Data Science course was designed for you, the beginner looking for an introduction to the building blocks essential to developing data science skills or forging a new career in the field. This course sets you on the right track, covering everything you’ll encounter during the bootcamp application process. You’ll learn: Basics of Python programming Common Python libraries: NumPy, Pandas, Matplotlib Foundations of linear algebra, calculus, probability and statistics Please note, the cost of Beginner Python & Math for Data Science can be applied to the cost of the bootcamp once you apply. We welcome all students looking to brush up on data science basics, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Beginner Python & Math for Data Science, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries.
    Minimum Skill LevelAbsolute Beginner
    August 24, 2020 - Online Apply by August 24, 2020
    September 21, 2020 - Online Apply by September 21, 2020
  • Data Science Bootcamp

LocationNew York City, San Francisco, Chicago
    Metis's 12-week accredited data science bootcamp is an immersive program designed to give you the skills and connections you need to launch a career in data science. Career Advisors are dedicated to helping students and grads get hired, while Sr. Data Scientists bring real-world experience to the classroom and guide students as they use real data to build a 5-project portfolio. Each project is a start-to-finish application of the skills needed to be a well-rounded, competitive practitioner in the data science workforce. Each highlights the skills needed in every “facet” of data science: project design, data acquisition and storage, tool selection, analysis, interpretation, and communication. In succession, the projects deepen in both difficulty and independence. Upon graduating, students have completed rigorous training in machine learning, programming in multiple languages (Python, Unix, JavaScript), data wrangling, project design, and communication of results for integration in a business environment. Parallel to this core classroom work is a supporting careers curriculum created and implemented by our Careers Team, which works with each student to secure employment rapidly after graduation with a compatible employer. Our grads go on to work at some of the top companies in their respective markets, including but not limited to Capital One, Facebook, GrubHub, Starbucks, Spotify, NBA and more. We're proud to help our grads land their dream job in data science and our grads are proud to be #MadeAtMetis. Make sure to visit our website and testimonials page to read more. Welcome to Metis!
    We partner with SkillsFund, an innovative financing company that offers financing options for students accepted to our bootcamp. Visit our website to learn more.
    ScholarshipWe offer a $3,000 scholarship for women, members of underrepresented groups, the LGBTQ community, or veterans of U.S. military personnel. We also accept GI Bill® benefits at our NYC campus. Visit thisismetis.com to learn more.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome experience with programming and statistics.
    Prep WorkOnce students are enrolled in the bootcamp, they are granted immediate access to our prework materials, a structured program of 25 hours of academic pre-work and up to 35 hours of set-up is designed to get admitted students warmed up and ready to go.
  • Introduction to Data Science

Data Science, Git, Python, Machine Learning
    Start Date August 31, 2020
    This course takes you one step closer to becoming a data scientist by offering a subset of the topics covered in our Data Science Bootcamp. You’ll get a well-rounded intro to the core concepts and technologies taught within the bootcamp, including basic machine learning principles and hands-on coding experience. Plus, you’ll put it all to practice through a mini data science project of your own. We’ll cover the following: Data acquisition, cleaning, and aggregation Exploratory data analysis and visualization Feature engineering Model creation and validation Basic statistical and mathematical foundations for data science We welcome all students looking to brush up on data science basics, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Introduction to Data Science, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries.
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents should have some familiarity with basic statistical and linear algebraic concepts. In Python, it will be helpful to know basic data structures.
    August 31, 2020 - Online Apply by August 31, 2020
  • Online Data Science Bootcamp

Start Date September 21, 2020
    Metis's 12-week live online data science bootcamp is an immersive program designed to give you the skills and connections you need to launch a career in data science. Career Advisors are dedicated to helping students and grads get hired, while Data Science Instructors bring real-world experience to the classroom and guide students as they use real data to build a 5-project portfolio. Each project is a start-to-finish application of the skills needed to be a well-rounded, competitive practitioner in the data science workforce. Each highlights the skills needed in every “facet” of data science: project design, data acquisition and storage, tool selection, analysis, interpretation, and communication. In succession, the projects deepen in both difficulty and independence. Students record their final project presentations for our Graduate Directory, which we share with companies actively seeking data scientists. Upon graduating, students have completed rigorous training in machine learning, programming in multiple Python, data wrangling, project design, and communication of results for integration in a business environment. Parallel to this core online classroom work is a supporting career curriculum created and implemented by our Careers Support Team. This team works with each student to secure employment rapidly after graduation with a compatible employer. Over 1,100 of our bootcamp grads have gone on to work at some of the top companies in their respective markets, including Capital One, Apple, Facebook, GrubHub, Starbucks, Spotify, The NBA and more. We're proud to help our grads land their dream job in data science and our grads are proud to be #MadeAtMetis. Make sure to visit our website and testimonials page for alumni stories.
    Tuition PlansWork with our team to identify zero interest payment plans that work for you.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome experience with programming and statistics.
    September 21, 2020 - Online Apply by August 24, 2020
    January 4, 2021 - Online Apply by November 30, 2020
  • Python for Beginners

Data Science, Python
    Start Date July 27, 2020
    Are you thinking about applying to our Data Science Bootcamp, but need to build your Python skills first? Our Python for Beginners course was designed for you - the beginner ready to learn the fundamentals of the world’s most popular programming language for data science from scratch. During this 3-week course, you will learn: -Introduction to programming in Python -Common basic data types and their properties -Logical operations, loops, functions and more Please note, the cost of Python for Beginners can be applied to the cost of the bootcamp once you apply. We welcome all students looking to learn Python fundamentals, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Python for Beginners, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries you may have.
    Minimum Skill LevelAbsolute Beginner
    July 27, 2020 - Online Apply by July 27, 2020
    November 2, 2020 - Online Apply by November 2, 2020
  • Aaron Wiegel  User Photo
    Aaron Wiegel • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Before attending Metis, I was a postdoctoral researcher in chemistry who was not feeling academic research anymore. I took some online classes in data science and thought it seemed like a cool and interesting field, but online courses can only take you so far. Also, I lacked enough connections to actual data scientists to really get a job in the field. I got into and applied to several different boot camps to help me bridge this gap, but I really appreciated that Metis did not try to oversell me on my prospects afterwards. Some of the other boot camps could really learn from this no nonsense approach.

Metis helped me bridge that gap between academia and the tech industry through both the data science cirriculum and career workshops. The cirriculum starts out much more lecture focused, but quickly turns to applying that knowledge to actual projects. Lectures include both descriptions of the math behind various algorithms and programming demonstrations showing practical programming/computing skills like web scraping, SQL, and using AWS. Career-wise, weekly workshops helped you to get started on improving your resume, LinkedIn profile, and networking strategies. I felt it was extremely focused and helpful, if a bit intense! (they don't call it a boot camp for no reason.)

By the end of the program, you have a portfolio of projects covering the major areas of data science (Supervised Learning: regression and classification, Unsupervised Learning/Natural Language Processing) and your final passion project. These let you start networking with other data scientists in the field and give you something to talk about!

The other people in my cohort were also wonderful. It was a pleasure to interact with people of such diverse professional and personal backgrounds. I felt like I not only met a bunch of professional contacts but also some great new friends.

The boot camp just ended last week, but I have met so many new contacts that I don't think it will be too long to find the right position. The boot camp also offers indefnite career support and lets you return to the office as much as you need. Even a lot of the alumni who already found jobs come back on a regular basis and offer career/interview advice if you ask.

The only thing I think could be better about the curriculum is that there could have been more feedback about projects/challenges. It seemed like it came a bit late or inconsistently. Also, we went over the basics of Big Data tools like Hadoop/Spark, but it felt a little out of place since we never used it.

The one last thing I would add is that this is called a boot camp for a reason. Be sure that you are mentally and emotionally prepared, because while it was a wonderful experience, it was a very intense one. I'm glad that my cohort was such an amazing, positive, and passionate group of people to help me (and everyone else) get through this experience.

• Great experience
    - 7/14/2017
    Tim Martin  User Photo
    Tim Martin • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Prior to attending Metis I was a data analyst for a market research company. At the time, I was ready to leave my company for a new position, and so I conducted a search for new analyst or data scientist roles. I had trouble finding a good opportunity, and I found that I wasn't competitive for the data scientist positions to which I applied.

Metis helped me change that. After 3 months of bootcamp and a couple more of job searching, I got a GREAT data scientist position.

Metis is valuable because you learn a lot, and you apply that knowledge to concrete projects that show organizations what you can do. You should end the bootcamp with presentations, github repositories, and blog posts that form a portfolio to help you get hired as a data scientist.

The Metis network of alumni, staff, and companies that often hire Metis grads is also indispensable in hooking you into the data science scene and making opportunities known to you.

To comment on the day-to-day aspects of the bootcamp, the curriculum is full of useful material, and each morning's pair programming assignments really complement the material that we learn in the lectures. My one complaint here is that some of the algorithms and code examples were not explained very clearly in the lectures; I think specific lectures could have been a lot better. That said, lectures are where the learning starts, but then you continue by using the material and asking follow-up questions, so there's always opportunity to understand what you didn't before.

The instructors were great. They're very knowledgeable and always willing to help. During my job search, one of the instructors volunteered to help me prepare for a presentation that I had to give in an interview. Another instructor agreed to drill me on algorithm questions for an hour in preparation for another interview. I'm super grateful for their help.

Lastly, the individual career coaching was incredibly helpful. It's just great to have an experienced person giving you advice and helping you practice for interviews and whatnot. My only gripe here is that the career coach seems like she's got a few too many balls in the air at one time, so I had to be more aggressive about following up on certain things. On the upside, Metis seems to be very interested in feedback and making improvements, so I expect that issues will be ameliorated over time.

All in all, Metis was well worth the cost. I was able to make the career leap into data science that I wanted to make, as well as meet a great group of friends and colleagues!

• Ana Gentle  User Photo
    Ana Gentle • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I finished the Data Science Bootcamp in April of 2017 and it was a great experience! Making a career change is difficult and Metis did an excellent job of preparing me to enter the field. The technical skills and network I built have been invaluable and certainly worth the time and effort the program demands.

If you're interested in reading a more in-depth review, check out my blog post.

• Worth it!
    - 7/1/2020
    Anna Bradley-Webb • Graduate
    Can't say enough good things about this program. If you know that you want to be a data scientist and you have a background in programming and statistics, I highly recommend Metis. It's fast-paced and covers a lot of material, but the instructors are amazing and the project-based format really emphasizes understanding the material. You learn data science in a very practical way and there's a focus on best practices and job skills. I honestly wished I could have stayed for another 3 months and just kept learning and working on my projects. The career support is also incredibly helpful. A career change like this is a huge commitment, but if you're sure about data science, this is a great way to go.
  • Gautam Soni • Applicant
    Metis has brilliant teachers. Adam Wearne did an awesome job of explaining such an overwhelming series of topics in data science in a very succinct way in such a small span of time. I don’t think there is a better way for busy professionals to get up to speed in this alternate world of data science than this structured content delivery from Metis.
  • A Rigorous Program
    - 3/20/2020
    C Lew • Student
    This boot camp really is an immersive program to the core. The first few weeks were intense but at the same time rewarding. Keep in mind that nothing is handed to you on a platter and you must put the work in. The instructors were when needed for questions and answers. The curriculum touched on a myriad of topics and it can be difficult to cover everything in detail in 12 weeks. Hence, if something really catches you, go deep in it as a project. The program introduces you to the tools and you have to continue learning right after the program ends.

It may not be for everyone, but before you dive into the program, make sure one actually does complete the preparation for it as it will be crucial to your success. Overall, the program was worth it especially the network of friends that I have made. I will always cherish the times I had at Metis-Seattle.
  • Best Investment
    - 2/17/2020
    Andreas Oikonomou • Graduate
    Metis exceeded my expectations. As long as you are on top of things, you will learn everything you need to know to be fully qualified for a Data Scientist role at a reputable firm. The program is dense, but its structure makes it enjoyable at the same time. Instructors, TAs are amazing and always available to help (and the rest of the staff of course).

Do not hold back if you do not have previous experience in data or computer science. I did not, I started learning Python 2 months before the program and did not know any other programming language. A quantitative background helps, but Metis still offers a lot of pre-course material to help you. Metis is a great and very efficient place that will help you break into the Data Science world. Needless to say, you will also make a lot of friends and work connections!
  • Charlie Yaris • Data Management Associate • Graduate
    I had a great experience at Metis’s Chicago campus. I currently work as a Data Management Associate and can credit Metis for helping me land this opportunity in so many different ways. The course itself gave me great preparation for interviews, but I think I owe even more credit to the incredible support I received from Metis’s staff.

Metis’s entire staff is so incredibly
    dedicated to the success of their students. This not only allows for fulfilling learning experiences during the actual course, but also ensures further support and guidance after the course ends. I’ve kept in touch with Metis’s staff after the program and am always impressed with how welcoming they are to alumni visits. This welcoming culture has also introduced me to several students who took Metis’s bootcamp during a different session than me.

You are sure to receive great instruction during the Metis’s bootcamp. What really sets Metis apart though is that the entire staff loves helping students realize their full potential.
  • Andrea • Senior Quantitative Analysta • Graduate
    I just completed the full-time, in person Metis Data Science Bootcamp in Fall of 2019. The course proved to be challenging and effective. I found Metis during my efforts to transition my career from a more operational role to a data science/data analysis role (which I expected to both more challenging and interesting). I had a very limited background in coding and machine learning, and this bootcamp gave me the skills I needed to lock in the kind of job I was going for. The instructors were extremely helpful, encouraging, and patient with my questions. I could not recommend this program more. I'd say it was worth the time and money, and was the most efficient path into the data science world.
  • Al Pittampalli • Student
    The curriculum was impeccably organized, the instructors were top notch (Joe Eddy, in particular, is almost certainly the best teacher I've ever had in my entire life), and the careers team was extraordinarily insightful. Highly recommended.
  • Ana • Engineer • Student

I completed Metis' data science bootcamp in April of 2017. Overall, I had a fantastic experience and learned a ton. Don't be fooled by the "bootcamp" style of learning. The curriculum is rigorous and the coursework moves quickly. You'll do well if you come prepared to put the work in. I wrote a full review of my experience at Metis on my blog: https://wellandwired.com/blog/metis-data-science-bootcamp-review

After completing the program I started a job at Amazon and have had the opportunity to be a part of some amazing and impactful projects!

• Jhonsen Djajamuliadi • Student
    This is my review of METIS Data Science (DS) Bootcamp experience in Seattle, winter session, Jan-Mar 2019.

I really enjoyed my bootcamp experience! Everyday I was coding daily, learning new concepts, and implementing machine learning (ML) algorithms into various projects pertaining to my interests. It was a blast!!!

Some things that I really enjoyed: (1) The format emphasizes creating design-to-product pipelines for data science projects. Having done 4 independent projects, I felt ready to tackle new problems, (2) my instructors, Chad and Cliff, provided a good mix of academic and pragmatic approaches to learning data science and completing DS projects, (3) after completing the bootcamp and reviewing class material for a couple weeks, I felt ready for interviews, (4) we practiced pair programming on a daily basis, (5) I felt a comaraderie spirit with my peers. (6) in terms of career support, our counselor (Marybeth) was very helpful. She helped me with everything I needed, from resume/cover letter review, job hunting strategy, connecting with other recruiters, etc.

Some things to improve (perhaps only for my cohort): (1) having code reviews or detailed project reviews with students would help I think, (3) I would’ve wanted to have more whiteboarding practice (this one didnt come up until the end, during mock interviews), (3) learning more DS use cases for various business problems would’ve really helped.

Advise for future students:
    • The bootcamp provides sufficient (elementary) overview of fundamental machine learning algorithms, at least enough for entry-level data jobs.  However, I’d advise future students to also spend some time learning from external resources (books, blogs, etc.) to get a deeper understanding of each concept.
    • If you intend to join the bootcamp, look up the curriculum ahead of time and think about what kinds of projects you might want to tackle based on your interests.
    • Unless you already have previous programming experience, it would be good to learn python programming and other CS fundamentals yourself.
    • Just keep in mind that career transitioning is not as easy as you might imagine. If you are trying/planning to do it, I think your quickest way to getting a DS role is to leverage the domain knowledge you have from your previous career and then implement DS/ML into your field. Also, I learned that becoming a data scientist is more like a marathon, rather than a sprint.