metis-logo

Metis

Chicago, Chicago, New York City, Online, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington

Metis

Metis offers data science training via 12-week full-time immersive bootcamps, part-time online bootcamp prep courses, and corporate training programs, with campuses in Chicago, New York, San Francisco, and Seattle. The Metis Data Science Bootcamp is designed and taught by industry practitioners and covers Python, Bash, algorithms, linear regression, machine learning, NLP, databases, and interactive data visualization. Graduates will be comfortable designing, implementing, and communicating the results of a data science project, will grasp the fundamentals of data visualization, and will get exposure to modern big data tools and architecture such as Hadoop, Hive, and Spark. The data science curriculum is delivered through project-based, hands-on, collaborative learning and Metis provides students with on-site instruction, and access to speakers, mentors, events, and job support.

To apply for the Metis Data Science Bootcamp, applicants need to have experience with programming and statistics, and complete 25 hours of academic pre-work. Metis offers a free, self-paced Admissions Prep course for those who need to brush up on their linear algebra, calculus, probability, statistics, and Python skills. Metis is looking for students eager to get their hands dirty by learning new technologies and solving real-life problems, and who have the skills needed to secure entry-level jobs in the Data Science field. Metis is authorized to enroll international students with M-1 visas across all U.S. campuses, which allow non-U.S. students to attend technical and vocational programs. International students who are already in the U.S. on an F-1 visa may also transfer to Metis. Veterans may apply to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill® to develop their data science skills at the New York City bootcamp.

Graduates leave fully qualified for data scientist jobs, with placement programs available. Students receive mock interview training, visit company offices, present their projects to employers at Career Day, and have access to an extensive network of speakers, mentors, events, and ongoing career coaching and job placement support.

Recent Metis Reviews: Rating 4.89

all (107) reviews for Metis →

Recent Metis News

Read all (46) articles about Metis →
  • Beginner Python and Math for Data Science

Data Science, Python
    Considering applying to our Data Science Bootcamp but need to build or brush up on your basic skills first? Our Beginner Python & Math for Data Science course was designed for you, the beginner looking for an introduction to the building blocks essential to developing data science skills or forging a new career in the field. This course sets you on the right track, covering everything you’ll encounter during the bootcamp application process. You’ll learn: Basics of Python programming Common Python libraries: NumPy, Pandas, Matplotlib Foundations of linear algebra, calculus, probability and statistics Please note, the cost of Beginner Python & Math for Data Science can be applied to the cost of the bootcamp once you apply. We welcome all students looking to brush up on data science basics, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Beginner Python & Math for Data Science, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries.
    Minimum Skill LevelAbsolute Beginner
  • Data Science Bootcamp

LocationNew York City, San Francisco, Chicago
    Metis's 12-week accredited data science bootcamp is an immersive program designed to give you the skills and connections you need to launch a career in data science. Career Advisors are dedicated to helping students and grads get hired, while Sr. Data Scientists bring real-world experience to the classroom and guide students as they use real data to build a 5-project portfolio. Each project is a start-to-finish application of the skills needed to be a well-rounded, competitive practitioner in the data science workforce. Each highlights the skills needed in every “facet” of data science: project design, data acquisition and storage, tool selection, analysis, interpretation, and communication. In succession, the projects deepen in both difficulty and independence. Upon graduating, students have completed rigorous training in machine learning, programming in multiple languages (Python, Unix, JavaScript), data wrangling, project design, and communication of results for integration in a business environment. Parallel to this core classroom work is a supporting careers curriculum created and implemented by our Careers Team, which works with each student to secure employment rapidly after graduation with a compatible employer. Our grads go on to work at some of the top companies in their respective markets, including but not limited to Capital One, Facebook, GrubHub, Starbucks, Spotify, NBA and more. We're proud to help our grads land their dream job in data science and our grads are proud to be #MadeAtMetis. Make sure to visit our website and testimonials page to read more. Welcome to Metis!
    We partner with SkillsFund, an innovative financing company that offers financing options for students accepted to our bootcamp. Visit our website to learn more.
    ScholarshipWe offer a $3,000 scholarship for women, members of underrepresented groups, the LGBTQ community, or veterans of U.S. military personnel. We also accept GI Bill® benefits at our NYC campus. Visit thisismetis.com to learn more.
    Minimum Skill LevelSome experience with programming and statistics.
    Prep WorkOnce students are enrolled in the bootcamp, they are granted immediate access to our prework materials, a structured program of 25 hours of academic pre-work and up to 35 hours of set-up is designed to get admitted students warmed up and ready to go.
  • Introduction to Data Science

Data Science, Git, Python, Machine Learning
    This course takes you one step closer to becoming a data scientist by offering a subset of the topics covered in our Data Science Bootcamp. You’ll get a well-rounded intro to the core concepts and technologies taught within the bootcamp, including basic machine learning principles and hands-on coding experience. Plus, you’ll put it all to practice through a mini data science project of your own. We’ll cover the following: Data acquisition, cleaning, and aggregation Exploratory data analysis and visualization Feature engineering Model creation and validation Basic statistical and mathematical foundations for data science We welcome all students looking to brush up on data science basics, not just those looking to apply to the bootcamp. Please visit our website to learn more and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about Introduction to Data Science, the Data Science Bootcamp, or any other inquiries.
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents should have some familiarity with basic statistical and linear algebraic concepts. In Python, it will be helpful to know basic data structures.
  • Online Data Science Bootcamp

Metis's 12-week accredited online data science bootcamp is an immersive program designed to give you the skills and connections you need to launch a career in data science. Career Advisors are dedicated to helping students and grads get hired, while Data Science Instructors bring real-world experience to the classroom and guide students as they use real data to build a 5-project portfolio. Each project is a start-to-finish application of the skills needed to be a well-rounded, competitive practitioner in the data science workforce. Each highlights the skills needed in every “facet” of data science: project design, data acquisition and storage, tool selection, analysis, interpretation, and communication. In succession, the projects deepen in both difficulty and independence. Upon graduating, students have completed rigorous training in machine learning, programming in multiple languages (Python, Unix, JavaScript), data wrangling, project design, and communication of results for integration in a business environment. Parallel to this core online classroom work is a supporting careers curriculum created and implemented by our Careers Team, which works with each student to secure employment rapidly after graduation with a compatible employer. Our grads go on to work at some of the top companies in their respective markets, including but not limited to Capital One, Facebook, GrubHub, Starbucks, Spotify, NBA and more. We're proud to help our grads land their dream job in data science and our grads are proud to be #MadeAtMetis. Make sure to visit our website and testimonials page to read more. Welcome to Metis!
    Minimum Skill LevelSome experience with programming and statistics.

• Anthony  User Photo
    Anthony • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I began my search to build skills towards data science without any real knowledge of what specific subjects or topics I needed to understand in the field, other than knowing a programming language such as Python. I researched various programs that offered a variety of courses but noticed that Metis was purely dedicated to data science. I looked over the courses (and accompanied curriculum) provided by Metis and was initially stuck between taking the Introduction to Data Science, or the Beginner Python & Math courses. I reached out to the team at Metis, and had an informative and helpful conversation with Amy Ramnath, and ultimately decided that the Beginner Python & Math course best suited my needs as a beginner looking to get his feet wet.

I took flight on my journey through the 6-week online Beginner Python & Math course from May 21st to June 27th twice a week, 3-hours per lecture, with Garrett Hoffman and Roberto Reif. Both Garrett and Roberto were fantastic teachers who are passionate about the subject matter, and whom make themselves available to assist students in answering questions or providing professional suggestions and recommendations towards student goals. There is copious material to cover and review throughout the 6-week course to get you rolling in the right direction, and as with any educational course, personal time allocated to studying and practicing outside of normal lecture hours should be anticipated and expected. Although the course material was dense, I feel much more confident and comfortable knowing that I've been provided a breadth of information and knowledge to establish a foundation to build on using Python and Jupyter notebook along with NumPy, Pandas, and Matpotlib packages, and understanding what subjects and topics in math (Linear Algebra, Calculus, Probability, and Statistics) are common to data science. A nice perk of the online course is that the lecture sessions were recorded, and could be reviewed at my own convenience if I were unable to attend lecture or needed to review material again.

Overall, this was an exceptional course that has provided me with more insight into understanding what baseline subjects I need to understand to begin working towards my goal of starting a data science career.

• Life changing
    - 5/29/2019
    Aaron Gittleman  User Photo
    Aaron Gittleman • Machine Learning Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

If you are here shopping around for a data science bootcamp to launch your new career path, you can stop here. My experience at Metis allowed me to make a massive career change in a surprisingly short time frame, with very little prior experience. In this program, you'll learn from a team of incredibly smart and skilled data scientists who will always go the extra mile to help you understand the dense material. You'll also be in the good hands of a very knowledgeable and effective career support team. To put it simply, if you put in the work, they will make you a highly sought after D.S. candidate in 12 weeks.

Aside from the staff, you'll also learn a lot from your classmates. Cohorts are comprised of smart people with a wide range of backgrounds and expertise who are willing to help each other.

The projects that you complete during this course provide you with an impressive portfolio to showcase during your job search, and the materials taught during the course are exactly what companies are hiring for. If you are motivated to start a new career and ready to put in hard work for it, I can't recommend this enough.

• Tim Vogel  User Photo
    Tim Vogel • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

In short, Metis is a fantastic opportunity. I was blown away by the amount of information the faculty was able to teach just 12-weeks. I come from a science background and was delighted by the instructors' willingness to help with what is very challenging material. On top of the incredible teaching staff, Metis also provides you with stellar careeer-support and guidance for navigating life post-grad, and ultimately landing your dream job. If you have the opportunity to participate in this bootcamp, don't pass it up!

• Patrick  User Photo
    Patrick • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I chose Metis because of its accreditation and encouraging reviews and I'm glad I did. Although it was probably the most challenging thing I've ever done, I was also having fun in the process and came in everyday eager to learn more. Not only did the bootcamp equip me with the necessary programming skills I needed to transition to a more technical career, I also built incredible work ethic in the process and befriended and connected with many other intelligent, driven students in the collaborative environment.

My instructors at Metis were very knowledgable and were great at communicating the data science concepts and machine learning algorithms. At the same time, they were patient enough to answer our many questions. The schedule and curriculum was well-rounded and we were trained to be better presenters and communicators with our 5 data science projects/presentations that were due during the course. I couldn't be happier with my decision to attend Metis and I would highly recommend it to anyone who's looking to get into this field.

• Transformative
    - 5/3/2019
    Marc Kelechava  User Photo
    Marc Kelechava • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I can't imagine a more well-structured 3-month program to prepare students for the current Data Scientist job market. The type of work covered in independent projects, the statistical inference/ML curriculum, and daily programming challenges are exactly what companies (in SF at least) are testing for in Data Science positions today. While the post-graduation interview process is difficult, I think in every interview I went on I used some piece of knowledge I picked up at Metis, and heavily credit the program with job placement success.

One caveat is that the program is extraordinarily difficult in terms of expectations and depth/speed of material covered. If you have any meaningful time commitments that can't be put on the backburner for 3 months, I would caution that the program requires near total-focus (this certainly varies per-student, but at least for me, this included heavy night and weekend work over the 3 months). That being said, I'd probably never been as excited to approach each day, and made enormous strides in technical capabilities because of it.

Our cohort was particularly close-knit, and most of us still are in constant contact most days despite the program's completion. This for me was probably even more valuable than the technical content, as it provided a strong network of other people breaking into DS that I'd image will remain invaluable for years.

Career Support after in SF was impressive as well. I ended up going with a company I found independently, but Career Support provided me with at least 20% of my strong leads during the job search.

If you feel compelled to break into the field and are looking to accelerate very rapidly, do this now.

• Spencer Tollefson  User Photo
    Spencer Tollefson • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Metis isn't for the faint of heart. What this program is NOT: an easy, magical path to coast through for 12 weeks to land a data science position. What this program IS: a well structured, intense immersive that can lead you to your goals when doubled with appropriate effort.

My background is from business school. I worked as a Tax accountant CPA, then management consultant for finance related projects, and then as a community economic development volunteer in the Peace Corps. Hard skills such as programming, statistics, or any kind of science were not my forte - but rather I'd developed experience in problem solving and communication skills more than anything. However, one fascinating part of Metis was the diversity of backgrounds among my cohort - and the ability for many people to succeed in the program.

I strongly encourage any potential applicant to be thorough in their preparation and vetting process. If you are able to pass the entrance exam for Metis, and know why you believe the program will help you achieve your goals, then I would highly recommend it ensuring you have the discipline and time to focus on this for 12 weeks.

For my anecdotal experience, Metis was fantastic. I chalk a lot of that up to having done substantial thinking in deciding why I wanted to do a data science bootcamp and how it would help me make the career transition from accountant/consultant to data scientist.

So why Metis then?

• I found the instructors extremely knowledgeable and accessible
    • My cohort peers were intelligent, engaging, and had diverse backgrounds. I think a large part of that is the Metis admittance process
    • Dedicated career support (Marybeth in Seattle) was quite helpful in navigating and structuring the job hunt process
    • The 5 project structure of the program was invaluable. In many of my job interviews I found being able to talk about how I did 5 projects - 4 entirely solo and which included gathering my own data - a huge asset

Additionally, the physical space was perfectly adequate and not run down like I've heard rumors of some other bootcamps. There clearly is support after the bootcamp - but finding a job is not handed to you on a platter. In my personal case, I spent about 12 weeks job searching after the bootcamp as well. It paid off in the end, and I would have done Metis 10/10 times again, but don't expect a job to be handed to you afterward. The Metis presence in Seattle is smaller than some other bootcamps, but if you are willing to expand your job search outside Seattle I personally found Metis connections help me make headway in over 10 different job interviews.

The curriculum continues to bee updated and I'm glad to hear they spent some more time on time-series for the cohorts after my own.

In summary, I recommend Metis if you do the hard work in visualizing how the immersion will help you achieve your next goals. If you believe a data science bootcamp is the right step for you, and you're willing to put in the time and effort into the program, Metis is an excellent investment of your time and money. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

• Stephen Ilhardt  User Photo
    Stephen Ilhardt • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My background was in management consulting and I had some experience with data analysis, but the amount I learned here was unreal. I was really interested in machine learning and neural networks but found I was having trouble learning them on my own in an unstructured way. Metis was perfect for this and aligned with my preferred learning style really well. I learned everything I wanted to and then a whole lot more. They cover just about everything you'll come across as a data scientist in varying degrees of detail, but then set you up to learn so much more after you're done. I spent the weeks after I graduated reading and deepening my knowledge about all of the stuff I learned in Metis, and tutorials and research papers that would have been way over my head pre-Metis just didn't scare me anymore. It's really cool! The instructors were outstanding and could answer just about every question you'd throw at them, and then they went above and beyond to make sure you understood everything before moving on. Take advantage of that because they're all really knowledgeable and more than willing to help. I actually spent quite a bit of time learning things that interested me that weren't in the curriculum for my projects and they even had answers about that stuff too. I really think you'll get a lot out of this, but be prepared to put in the hours. The class goes from nine to five, but if you're willing to work nights and weekends and squeeze every bit of knowledge you can out of this then you'll be very impressed with what you know and can do by the end.

• Buckle up!
    - 3/27/2019
    Kendra  User Photo
    Kendra • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

If you are looking for an in-person, immersize Data Science bootcamp that will give you skills and confidence in this burgeoning field, you need look no further than Metis. The highlights:

• Passionate, intelligent, yet personable and caring staff
    • Applicable curriculum, a good balance of broad and deep
    • Bright, motivated, supportive peers
    • A true cheerleader in tne Career Support Advisor

I appreciated that there was a significant amount of "pre-work" recommended. This isn't a zero-to-hero bootcamp, and it shouldn't be. Everyone walks in with a baseline, so you can get more or less straight to work learning about Data Science. I enjoyed the project-based curriculum and believe it was a very effective way to teach new concepts. As you learn, you apply it. Instructors are highly available to assist with any questions or issues -- though they sometimes got monopolized by students seeking more help than others. They are incredibly patient, kind, and wise. Classmates were friendly and always willing to help -- it felt highly collaborative, and never overtly competitive. Metis puts forth a lot of effort to make it feel like a community and that each student is valued.

Beyond the Data Science, Metis teaches you *grit*: how to not give up, to find a way. *time management*: you don't have a lot of time for your projects -- so you learn how to time-block and set deadlines for yourself. *how to learn, and learn fast!*: don't know something? Google it. Find a book or a blog. Ask someone. Get creative. These are skills that will serve you well in The Real World.

My only quibble is that I was expecting a bit more from the Metis network in terms of finding a job. Perhaps the Seattle program is too new to have a vast expasne of alums armed with a trove of jobs, just waiting for us to graduate to bestow them upon us. Maybe I am just lazy and entitled. I should note that some alums were very involved and eager to help. Also, Marybeth, the career advisor, is an amazing resource. She is highly knowledgable -- and connected -- and is also always there for moral support. She'll help you structure your time post-bootcamp and negotiate that inevitable job offer.

• Marco Z  User Photo
    Marco Z • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I jumped at the chance to go back to the technical track of my career after spending far too long in technical management. My academic background has been in computer science and math, and I started professionally (a while ago) as a data dev and analyst.

Of the four or five data science immersives I researched, including the other two in-person full time programs in Seattle, Metis is the one that places more rigor and time in the data science aspect of the curriculum, as opposed to the data engineering side of it: data science first, the tools to do it second. Most other programs dedicate too much time to hashing over ETL and development best practices. Those are absolutely necessary in real-life data science positions (ask me about it over beer some time), but they should be a pre-requisite, as they are in Metis, in order to effectively immerse you in data science without distractions during the program.

That doesn't mean you end up being a stats nerd with no practical programming skills, on the contrary. The day starts with a programming brain teaser to fire up the neurons as the coffee kicks in, and the evening ends with you turning in a solid piece of working code that excercises the morning's data science theory and tools lecture.

I'm also always amazed at the quality of the people that make it into the program. From all walks of life, age groups and skill sets, but the common thread is that they have the intuition for data science, plus the drive to learn and do what needs to be done to master it.

And the people working for Metis are also top-notch: skilled, knowledgable, good instructors, administrators, and boosters for the data science professions in the business econsystem.

• LeeRyan Solomon  User Photo
    LeeRyan Solomon • Data Scientist • Student Verified via LinkedIn

This Bootcamp has been one of the most rewarding experience. I got to learn alot and was introduced to so many new techniques regarding Data Science.

I had the pleasure to learn from Alice Zhao and Lara Katten. Both instructors are knowledgeable and are helpful through out the 12 weeks. Both of them are super humble for how much they know. They are perfect compliments.

The best analogy descibing this Bootcamp would be, say there are about 50 different doors where each door pertains to different topics in Data Science (e.g. Git, Data Viz, NoSQL, SQL, Supervised Learning, Unsupercised Learing etc). METIS opens these doors for you and helps you take the first step on the other side, then it is up to you to choose the topics you want to delve deeper into.

If you are thinking of making a career change to Data Science, please consider METIS Bootcamp. It will save you a lot of time and money.

P.S. Everybody has their own interpretation of ratings. Please note I never give a perfect rating, for me a four star is a very high rating.

• Data Science Fellow
    - 10/31/2018
    Rachel Zhang  User Photo
    Rachel Zhang • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Instructors at Metis are very experienced, willing to help with project questions and discuss ideas all the time.

The staff are super nice and helpful as well.

Great overall experience for data science training!

• Winnie  User Photo
    Winnie • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Metis turned me into a Data Scientist! I worked as a business analyst for about two years and had some exposure to analytics. But I lacked hands-on experience and a good understanding of machine learning. I tried to change my career path on my own but didn't have much luck. Trying to self-teach and rebrand, all on my own, was daunting and very stressful. I'm really glad that I found Metis and decided to commit to it.

Yes, you might be able to find all the materials online and learn everything on your own. But what makes Metis such a good experience is the instructors and career advisors. They really do care about your success! The instructors are not only good at explaining concepts but also have a lot of industry experience. I learned a lot about how to approach projects and design metrics from all the discussions I had with my instructors.

The bootcamp itself is tough and the job search after graduation is not any easier. Metis offers a lot of coaching and support to help me get to where I am today. Also, going through the job search process with my classmates provided a very crucial support network, and made it much easier to stick with it. I got multiple interviews through alumni referral and eventually landed a role through one of these referrals. The Metis community is incredible and I know it will be there to help me navigate through any challenges I have in my career.

• Chintan  User Photo
    Chintan • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I joined Metis after reading reviews on websites such as this (Coursereport), and after attending one of their Meetups. In spite of all the 4-5 star reviews that I had seen, Metis beat all my expectations! Let me elaborate.

I earned my PhD in Experimental Chemistry at the University of Chicago. While my research was somewhat computational in nature, I was not well-equipped to get started with a career in Data Science. If you're from academia, you have to understand that universities have no interest or incentive to prepare their cheap-labor postdocs for real jobs. In spite of having science PhDs, half of my colleagues in academia weren't able to find a single job whatsoever, and some were already past their 5th year as postdoc (we're talking Physics, Chemistry, Math PhDs). Metis was instrumental in equipping me with all of the industry-relevant skills in a very short amount of time. They were also great with demonstrating the utility of ML/AI and the potential impact that it is likely to create in the next few decades or so. While one can technically learn all of this material by oneself, it would take at least a 9 months even if you did it full-time. It would take you multiple years if you tried learning all of it while doing some job or postdoc, which is why most postdocs can't make that transition by themselves.

Alice Zhao and Roberto Reif were both great instructors with many years of industry experience. I miss the energy from our instructors and cohort. Three weeks into the bootcamp, I remember a few of us discussing about how good the bootcamp was. Fast forward 6 months, and most of us who were looking for a job have found one. Having an advanced degree helps, but not having one is completely okay. I now work for a firm called Soothsayer Analytics (with Microsoft as end-client).

My only minor complaint from the bootcamp is that it doesn't delve too much into SQL or Time-Series Analysis, and a lot of companies like Facebook or Expedia make you go through really tricky SQL questions.